PDA

View Full Version : It's raining DVD/Video rental store chains

ThatGirl
09-02-2011, 11:05 AM
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/story/2011/08/31/blockbuster-canada-close.html?cmp=rss

Blockbuster Canada is toast.

RedHotSgtPeppers
09-02-2011, 11:17 AM
They bankrupted in America like 6 months ago.

Sleepingrock
09-02-2011, 11:18 AM
I think Vernon may only have rogers left, no other places come to mind. Aside from one local store. I never was a fan of blockbuster anyways.

Hannahrain
09-02-2011, 11:23 AM
WHAT AM I GOING TO DO NOW

Alchemy
09-02-2011, 11:31 AM
And so ends the Hannah "Rain" Blockbuster empire - started many years ago, by the multi-billionare Byron Blockbuster.

Hannahrain
09-02-2011, 11:34 AM
This isn't a time for jokes, Timothy. Where am I supposed to get my maple candy documentaries? I feel like I'm riding a ferris wheel and the cart's just come unattached like that one episode of the Waltons I'm not sure why I've seen.

Alchemy
09-02-2011, 11:43 AM
Well, Hannah... I remember when I wanted to watch the show Dexter, but did not have Showtime, I would just take out the old camcorder and film what I thought to be, more-or-less, episodes of Dexter. Of course, when I finally did watch Dexter, it turned out not to be about a dentist who can read peoples' future in their plaque formations, but rather, a show about a serial killer... So, naturally, I had to stop my show and my dentist practice... But the point is, why not make your own maple candy documentaries?

miscorrections
09-02-2011, 11:44 AM
Canada will never be the same.

marooko
09-02-2011, 12:13 PM
Redbox. Netflix (I don't use this). Torrents.

HunterGather
09-02-2011, 12:14 PM
I find Redbox to be so convenient. However, I am usually too lazy to drive to the closest place to return the disc the next day so I end up paying for an extra day. They anticipate people like me, I'm sure.

MusicIsMyBoyfriend
09-02-2011, 01:07 PM
This isn't a time for jokes, Timothy. Where am I supposed to get my maple candy documentaries? I feel like I'm riding a ferris wheel and the cart's just come unattached like that one episode of the Waltons I'm not sure why I've seen.

Well, Hannah... I remember when I wanted to watch the show Dexter, but did not have Showtime, I would just take out the old camcorder and film what I thought to be, more-or-less, episodes of Dexter. Of course, when I finally did watch Dexter, it turned out not to be about a dentist who can read peoples' future in their plaque formations, but rather, a show about a serial killer... So, naturally, I had to stop my show and my dentist practice... But the point is, why not make your own maple candy documentaries?

Is there some sort of online streaming site where I could watch your episodes of "Dexter"? And maybe that episode of The Waltons?

I set my DVD player on fire upon reading the title of this thread.

Alchemy
09-02-2011, 01:18 PM
Unfortunately, Blockbuster Canada had all my homemade Dexter episodes. I imagine that those VHS tapes have found their way to Eastern Europe of Central Asia by now and are circulating like Soviet nuclear supplies.

marooko
09-02-2011, 01:20 PM
So what you're saying is they should be easy to find?

Alchemy
09-02-2011, 01:24 PM
Yeah, but they've probably taken the tapes apart to make guns or something like that.

marooko
09-02-2011, 01:43 PM
There is a guy locally that buys tapes at yard sales and such. He says he looking for a specific kind. I won't sell him any if he comes by for that exact reason.

fatbastard
09-02-2011, 01:44 PM
This reconfirms my decision to start buying movies in front of liquor stores.

JustSteve
09-02-2011, 01:54 PM
I find Redbox to be so convenient. However, I am usually too lazy to drive to the closest place to return the disc the next day so I end up paying for an extra day. They anticipate people like me, I'm sure.

blockbuster now has a redbox type system out there, but since redbox is everywhere i am not sure where they are able to put them. saw an ad on the nearby blockbuster store advertising them with the tagline "tired of seeing red?". really blockbuster, you are 2 years behind the game and you are ripping on redbox? dumb.

marooko
09-02-2011, 01:56 PM
I was laughing the other day at how many commercials have turntables in them.

TomAz
09-02-2011, 02:01 PM
http://www.oct.ca/publications/professionally_speaking/september_2009/photos/Remarkable_DaveThomas2.jpg

M Sparks
09-02-2011, 02:13 PM
blockbuster now has a redbox type system out there, but since redbox is everywhere i am not sure where they are able to put them.

http://www.blockbusterexpress.com/find-kiosk/

There are 17 of them within 5 miles of me. There are 50 Redboxes in the same radius.

Both seem like overkill to me.

locachica73
09-02-2011, 02:28 PM
I went to a blockbuster box at the gas station by my house and when I rented my new release it ended up being $2.99 instead of $.99 at the redbox. I was too lazy to go drive somewhere else so I paid it, but I won't go back.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
09-02-2011, 02:35 PM
gah, I can rent a brand new movie through Amazon OnDemand for $2.99 and not leave my couch

gaypalmsprings
09-02-2011, 05:09 PM
http://roflrazzi.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/5ed87c3a-7cf2-47a6-92bd-7f91b83aa9d5.gif

C DUB YA
09-02-2011, 05:38 PM

This is pretty much the original Blockbuster business model

JustSteve
09-02-2011, 06:17 PM
didn't they make something like 15%+ of their profits on late fees?

M Sparks
09-03-2011, 10:27 AM

I never worked for Blockbuster, but worked for other places that did rentals in the 90s. On the weekends, you could count on 90% of your new releases renting out on Friday. If they didn't come back on Saturday, you have a whole other set of clients who get mad because you "never have anything" and they stop coming. Charging the first guy for an extra day only makes him mad too, and if the charges are really high, THAT guy never comes back AND you don't collect for the extra days.

Extra day charges (we never called them late fees, because they weren't a penalty, we just charged for every day you had it) may have been a small revenue stream for the older movies, but for the new releases, we would have rather had them back on time.

hendrixfan143
09-03-2011, 10:32 AM
fuck you netflix

C DUB YA
09-03-2011, 08:44 PM

Yes.

early on, they made over 20% of their profits from late fees... but that figure declined as people either stopped going or from the fact that Blockbuster constantly relaxed/revamped their late fee policies.

RedHotSgtPeppers
09-03-2011, 11:42 PM
I thought it was bullshit that Blockbuster made such a HUGE deal about "HAY GUISE, NO MOAR LATE FEES EVAR" and then like a year later they were like "HAY GUISE, REMEMBER WHAT WE SAID? WE DIDN'T REALLY MEAN IT LOL. BRING OUR MOVIES BACK ON TIME TO BE NICE." Then, they were like "fuck it. LATE FEE ALL THE THINGS!!!"

rage patton
09-04-2011, 12:00 PM
All the Blockbusters around me closed down at least 3-4 months ago. This is not news. I did 12 movies for $40 from one of the stores that shut down though. That was pretty sweet.

ThatGirl
09-06-2011, 07:07 AM
The one in my neighborhood is still open, not sure for how long though.

JebusLives
09-06-2011, 08:21 AM
I order stuff through Zip.ca (basically Netflix US's mail-order service). I don't understand why they get so little coverage; they've been really great to deal with, and have a huge selection.

Alchemy
09-06-2011, 09:42 AM
I don't like what the postal service problems spells out for my Netflix. No more Saturday delivery... Possible shut down this winter? When we need Netflix the most?

We Await Silent Tristero's Empire...