PDA

View Full Version : College Football 2011

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

TommyboyUNM
08-29-2011, 06:22 PM
Because it's just not right to talk about the 2011 season in the 2010 thread. You know it, and I know it.

The team I've loved since I was a little kid, Miami, is about to get reamed by the NCAA infractions committee. My alma mater, New Mexico, has gone 2-22 over the past two seasons and starts this season as the worst team in the NCAA (according to ESPN's Bottom 10). Needless to say, I can't wait for the season to start.

Let's do this.

suprefan
08-29-2011, 06:31 PM
Only one more year of bowl banishment for USC!!!!

So which SEC team is taking the title this year...

fiyahhh!
08-29-2011, 06:41 PM
I got Stanford season tickets. Fear the tree.

TommyboyUNM
08-29-2011, 06:42 PM
I'm going on record as saying Wisconsin will play in the national title game. They have an excellent running game, and a very good QB in Russell Wilson - a transfer from NC State.

Let's say: Wisconsin vs Alabama

Heisman: Landry Jones QB Oklahoma (runner-up: Trent Richardson RB Alabama)

Gribbz
08-29-2011, 06:44 PM
I got Stanford season tickets. Fear the tree.
It's a shame how empty that stadium is every game.

Miroir Noir
08-29-2011, 06:46 PM
As a Notre Dame fan, I'm looking forward to going 11-0, and then getting successively destroyed by Luck in his Heisman game and the second place SEC team in a BCS game.

Gribbz
08-29-2011, 06:52 PM
As a Notre Dame fan, I'm looking forward to going 11-0,

Not sure if serious...

Miroir Noir
08-29-2011, 06:54 PM
I actually think they'll go into Stanford with a loss or two, but I stand by the getting destroyed by Luck and a much faster SEC team part of my prediction.

hawkingvsreeve
08-29-2011, 06:54 PM
http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/boise-state-football-helmet.jpg

CuervoPH
08-29-2011, 06:55 PM
As an Ole Miss fan, I can take pride in the fact that our former starting quarterback, Randall Mackey, kicked more ass in his bar fight than Jordan Jefferson from LSU, and otherwise, it's gonna be a long damn season.

That being said, I'll be shocked if a team other than Alabama or South Carolina wins the national championship this season. SEC bias aside, though, I'd like to see Boise State get a shot in the championship game.

chunk
08-29-2011, 07:07 PM
Because it's just not right to talk about the 2011 season in the 2010 thread.

I figured nobody cared this year considering the season is starting in three days and there was no thread in sight. This should be a great season again. Among best first three weeks in recent memory. Cant wait.

nahuatldream
08-29-2011, 07:14 PM
UCLA Bruins, right here. Why are all my sports teams in some type of turmoil? (Raiders, Dodgers, Lakers). Hopefully they can right the ship this year and at least make it to a bowl game. A win over USC would be nice.

mmsk123
08-30-2011, 07:46 AM
I'm thinking Ole Miss and South Carolina will have some good seasons this year with some upsets against LSU/Ala etc.

I don't think Oregon will have as much success this season, and Stanford will get upset by someone along the way.

Really looking forward to seeing Nebraska play Wisc and Mich/Oh. St.

I hope to god Boise beats Georgia so the SEC fans can shutup about playing in a real league. Then again they'll just say to play a real team from a real league.

suprefan
08-30-2011, 07:46 AM
It's a shame how empty that stadium is every game.

Except when its against Cal.

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/boise-state-football-helmet.jpg

OF COURSE they have to come up with some new thing every year with their uniforms. Are you guys gonna go the Oregon route and have 167 color options?

I'm going on record as saying Wisconsin will play in the national title game. They have an excellent running game, and a very good QB in Russell Wilson - a transfer from NC State.

Let's say: Wisconsin vs Alabama

Heisman: Landry Jones QB Oklahoma (runner-up: Trent Richardson RB Alabama)

Wisconsin lost 3 starters on O line to the nfl? Yeah, Wilson is a good add with Tolzien gone now. I wonder if they throw more with him, despite having Ball and White behind him probably running for 1000+ each this season. They are the front runners though since Ohio State is toast this season.

I hope to god Boise beats Georgia so the SEC fans can shutup about playing in a real league. Then again they'll just say to play a real team from a real league.

:blah

Premium Roast
08-30-2011, 08:07 AM
My team, Georgia Bulldogs (Mom is from GA and Grandma is a die hard never-miss-a-game fan), opens with #5 ranked Boise State this Saturday. A first week massive showdown right out of the gates? Normally it's all cream puffs till like week five or six. Just gotta go hard and get it done. Go Dawgs!

hawkingvsreeve
08-30-2011, 09:45 AM
OF COURSE they have to come up with some new thing every year with their uniforms. Are you guys gonna go the Oregon route and have 167 color options?

These are only for game 1 against Georgia. Nike designed new unis for Boise and a few other teams like last year.

chunk
08-30-2011, 09:50 AM
My team, Georgia Bulldogs (Mom is from GA and Grandma is a die hard never-miss-a-game fan), opens with #5 ranked Boise State this Saturday. A first week massive showdown right out of the gates? Normally it's all cream puffs till like week five or six. Just gotta go hard and get it done. Go Dawgs!

And S. Carolina right after that. ouch.

Miroir Noir
08-30-2011, 11:06 AM
Those Boise State unis look like something out of Any Given Sunday.

hawkingvsreeve
08-30-2011, 11:13 AM
Have you seen the Oregon unis?

http://cbssports.com/images/blogs/New_Oregon_Nike_Pro_Combat_Uniforms_Top_Half.jpg

http://cbssports.com/images/blogs/New_Oregon_Nike_Pro_Combat_Uniforms_Vertical.jpg

Fucking rad.

TomAz
08-30-2011, 12:11 PM
Has anyone figured out if this Longhorn Network thing is actually a thing?

my team is playing Texas this weekend and the game is listed as being on the Longhorn Network. Which is the thing that is causing A&M to leave the Big 12 and hence hastening the demise of the conference. Which makes it richly ironic that the first game shown on the network involves Rice, one of the schools left behind when UT and A&M and the others left the SWC back in 94.

bobert
08-30-2011, 12:16 PM
Has anyone figured out if this Longhorn Network thing is actually a thing?

my team is playing Texas this weekend and the game is listed as being on the Longhorn Network. Which is the thing that is causing A&M to leave the Big 12 and hence hastening the demise of the conference. Which makes it richly ironic that the first game shown on the network involves Rice, one of the schools left behind when UT and A&M and the others left the SWC back in 94.

Hope you have Verizon Fios. Otherwise your'e shit out of luck.

Late last week, LHN rolled out a 24/7 station of all things Texas, but no deals have been made with Comcast, Time Warner, AT&T U-Verse, DirecTV or Dish to carry it.

Only Verizon FiOS and a few small carriers have signed on the dotted line, just days before Saturday’s season-opener.

http://www.khou.com/sports/The-Longhorn-Network-is-on-the-air-but-fans-might-have-trouble-finding-it-128622103.html

Premium Roast
08-30-2011, 01:10 PM
And S. Carolina right after that. ouch.

yeah, really. The Cocks use to be pushovers, but now Spurrier has them believing they are Florida. And dem Dawgs still can't beat the Gators. What a conference.

Miroir Noir
08-31-2011, 01:54 PM
Why Oregon is winning (http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/6909937/how-does-oregon-football-keep-winning). Hint: it's the unis.

suprefan
08-31-2011, 04:29 PM
Shouldve said the same for Boise, except they cant wear all blue at home anymore..

Oh, and Texas A & M is pretty much gone form the big 12 next year. So who will replace em? BYU?

TommyboyUNM
08-31-2011, 04:49 PM
Shouldve said the same for Boise, except they cant wear all blue at home anymore..

Oh, and Texas A & M is pretty much gone form the big 12 next year. So who will replace em? BYU?

There is no way that BYU is going to go from being independent, something that was seemingly its ideal goal, to jumping on the sinking ship that will be the Big 12. I would be shocked if that happened. It's more likely that you'll see a program like SMU or Houston go to the Big 12.

biggfoot17
08-31-2011, 04:50 PM
If I were BYU I would do what I could to get into the Big 12. Going independent was just a tantrum move cause they didn't get invited the Pac-12 and they'd hope the BCS would give them the same deal ND has, which is never going to happen. If they don't get into the Big 12, they'll regret leaving the MWC

suprefan
08-31-2011, 04:56 PM
There is no way that BYU is going to go from being independent, something that was seemingly its ideal goal, to jumping on the sinking ship that will be the Big 12. I would be shocked if that happened. It's more likely that you'll see a program like SMU or Houston go to the Big 12.

BYU would benefit more form getting to play a Big 12 conference schedule every year than hopefully being able to piece together a decent schedule like they have this season, which is 8 mid majors and 4 top conference schools. Look at Notre Dame, they are independent, but have major ties to the Big 10 and its paid off for them money wise. Does BYU have a big tv contract to get them revenue or more exposure?

gaypalmsprings
08-31-2011, 04:59 PM
http://fastcache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/11/2011/08/xlarge_ncf_nwu_dpersaheisman_576var.jpg

TommyboyUNM
08-31-2011, 05:00 PM
BYU would benefit more form getting to play a Big 12 conference schedule every year than hopefully being able to piece together a decent schedule like they have this season, which is pretty much half and half on mid majors and top conference schools. Look at Notre Dame, they are independent, but have major ties to the Big 10 and its paid off for them money wise. Does BYU have a big tv contract to get them revenue or more exposure?

There's a great possibility that Texas and Oklahoma won't be a part of that conference in the coming years. It's true that the PAC-12 didn't want BYU, but BYU's administration had wanted to go independent for a while. They were unhappy with the MWC television contract. They now have an 8-year TV contract with ESPN. Instead of most or all of their games airing on The MTN, they will be on ESPN. Not a bad move.

Nice edit, supre. You know the Big 12 could quite possibly be crumbling, and Texas and Oklahoma will probably leave. I'm willing to bet BYU's schedule as an independent will be better, year in and year out, than it will be as a member of what will be left of the Big 12.

suprefan
08-31-2011, 05:44 PM
Had to double check, sue me.... Still, if the era of the super conference comes soon, Texas and Oklahoma come to the Pac whatever it will be. I wonder if Notre Dame would still stay independent if there were 4 super conferences....

Speaking of, in a discussion I was having with somebody else regarding the super conferences and all that, this could make a playoff system viable.

4 Super Conferences
Conference Championship Games 1st weekend of December
4 Team Playoff the weekend after Conference Championship Games
Normal Bowl Season
2 Playoff Winners Meet in Final Bowl Game of the Season for Championship

bobert
08-31-2011, 05:49 PM
Notre Dame stays independent because they have the largest fan-base in the country and the most lucrative tv contract on television. Until that changes, there's very little reason for them to change their status.

biggfoot17
08-31-2011, 06:11 PM
Speaking of, in a discussion I was having with somebody else regarding the super conferences and all that, this could make a playoff system viable.

4 Super Conferences
Conference Championship Games 1st weekend of December
4 Team Playoff the weekend after Conference Championship Games
Normal Bowl Season
2 Playoff Winners Meet in Final Bowl Game of the Season for Championship

This pretty much makes all other conferences obsolete. Might as well downgrade them all to the FCS

suprefan
08-31-2011, 06:30 PM
Theyre all turning into greedy ass mofos anyway, how else would they make sure they had a stranglehold on almost all the tv revenue?

A plus one would still be the best bet. After the bowl season ends, whoever is #1 and #2 go at it...

JustSteve
08-31-2011, 06:47 PM
Have you seen the Oregon unis?

http://cbssports.com/images/blogs/New_Oregon_Nike_Pro_Combat_Uniforms_Top_Half.jpg

http://cbssports.com/images/blogs/New_Oregon_Nike_Pro_Combat_Uniforms_Vertical.jpg

Fucking rad.

all black e'rything

fikus222
08-31-2011, 07:49 PM
UW isn't going to do as good this year as they did last year, though they won't lose every game like they did '08-'09.

Likewise, Stanford is going to kick some Pac-12 butt, though they won't get as many wins as last year...Owen Marecic was a BEAST.

Miroir Noir
08-31-2011, 09:24 PM
A few thoughts on BYU and ND, two programs/universities that I am pretty familiar with.

BYU is going to take the Big 12 thing very, very seriously. Their move to independence, as suggested above, was very much driven by the U's move to the PAC-12. But, and in answer to Supre's question, there were also some tremendous financial incentives for them to go indie: they already have a national cable network in place that's ran by the LDS Church, ESPN agreed to a long-term contract with them (that included promises to help with scheduling). The move to indie was made less for its own sake -- I don't think they ever really believed they were going to be the ND of the West or whatever -- and more out a recognition that it was a much superior strategy than hanging out with Boise St and the remnants of the MWC. When ESPN came on board, it sealed the deal for them because it gave the program (and its recruiting) more exposure and revenue, and the Church (and its very different type of recruiting) more exposure as well. As an aside, last summer when they first decided to do this, there was a lot of talk locally that it was the only way they would get invited to a major conference when the next round of dominoes started to fall with the Big 12.

The Big 12 is really appealing to them because a) what they've really wanted all along is to be in a major BCS conference, and b) they could come on board now and try cut some special deal like the one that Texas has where they run their own tv and keep the revenue.

ND is not going to join a conference unless the superconference scenario comes into play. Above all else, what drives ND's thinking -- more than the tradition, more than the NBC money, more than the fact that they're already in the BCS cartel under their own terms -- is that their fucking alumni would mutiny if they tried to join a league without it being absolutely necessary. As a fan, I've long thought that the Irish need to join the Big East or Big Ten in order to ever have a legitimate shot of putting together a team (and schedule) that could again contend for a national title. A lot of people in their administration get it, but every time they've done the conference dance, the boosters have absolutely lost their shit over it. However, if the four sixteen-team conference thing happens, ND would get in with either the Big Ten or whatever mutant conference emerges out of the parts of the Big East and ACC. The Big Ten probably; I'd imagine that the Big Ten's wish list would be ND, Missouri, Syracuse, and Rutgers.

Miroir Noir
08-31-2011, 09:36 PM
And Tommy, I think if BYU joins the Big 12, it may actually stabilize that conference. Even if the SEC expands with A&M and lets say FSU, or even two more teams on top of those, I don't see why that necessarily starts a domino effect that ripples through the other conferences. The Big Ten and Pac-12 just expanded, and now get their big revenue conference title games. I'm not sure that I see the rationale in either of those conferences expanding just to keep up with the SEC. Additionally, I'm not sure that Texas and Oklahoma want to leave. They're not natural fits in either the SEC or the Pac-12, and they way they have things right now is pretty sweet: they play each other, and if the one of them that wins finishes their season undefeated, they almost always get picked to go to the BCS title game. Missing the additional conference title game isn't going to hurt their chances with the computers too badly. And guess what: you don't have to compete in the SEC gauntlet every year, or travel thousands of miles to play road games in Corvalis and Pullman. Moreover, Texas (especially) has it pretty sweet financially. There are a lot of incentives for those schools to stay where they are if they can keep it together.

suprefan
09-02-2011, 05:33 PM
What is happening with TCU.

Miroir Noir
09-02-2011, 06:46 PM
They graduated a ton of kids from those BCS teams.

suprefan
09-02-2011, 06:49 PM
Baylor is the real deal, thats what is up. TCU still had a ton of talent coming back. Insane.

dorkfish
09-02-2011, 06:55 PM
New TCU QB doesn't know how to finish drives behind an unproven o-line. They also lost their top S/CB combo to the NFL Draft this year.

suprefan
09-02-2011, 07:01 PM
Griffin put on a freaking clinic tonight. Oh yeah, Wisconsin last night looked great on Offense, not so much on Defense.

dorkfish
09-02-2011, 07:09 PM
I hope TCU ends up winning. That would be an awesome start to their season.

dorkfish
09-02-2011, 07:11 PM
one possession game!

dorkfish
09-02-2011, 07:16 PM
TCU is totally going to get the ball back. Score another TD. Screw up the 2-pt. Miraculously get the ball back. And then miss the last second field goal.

dorkfish
09-02-2011, 07:24 PM
holy hell, this is probably going to be game of the year.

dorkfish
09-02-2011, 07:25 PM
TCU is totally going to get the ball back. Score another TD. Screw up the 2-pt.
so far, so good

mmsk123
09-02-2011, 07:55 PM
Good try TCU. They just seemed shocked at the start and couldn't bring it back.

Miroir Noir
09-02-2011, 08:00 PM
What a start to a season!

biggfoot17
09-02-2011, 11:43 PM
This TCU loss could kill Boise State's chances. Although, losing two starting WR could kill their chances too. As a BSU fan, I'm uncomfortably nervous for tomorrow's game

dorkfish
09-03-2011, 11:05 AM
WAC's Utah State is up by 10 with 3 minutes left at defending champ Auburn, right now.

dorkfish
09-03-2011, 11:15 AM
Now this is turning into an all time great Auburn comeback.

boarderwoozel3
09-03-2011, 11:51 AM
Damn. Utah State pulled a... Utah State.

C DUB YA
09-03-2011, 07:37 PM
Duck... Duck... Goose.

I wonder if losing hurts more in those fancy uniforms?

biggfoot17
09-03-2011, 07:52 PM
The Oregon loss is great. Totally opens the door for Boise St to march its way to the top while Bama and LSU get to run the gauntlet that is the SEC

C DUB YA
09-03-2011, 07:54 PM
The Oregon loss is great. Totally opens the door for Boise St to march its way to the top while Bama and LSU get to run the gauntlet that is the SEC

This is true. TCU losing didn't do the Broncos any favors though. I also don't think Boise is nearly as good as they were last year, Georgia is not a good football team.

C DUB YA
09-03-2011, 07:56 PM
As a Notre Dame fan, I'm looking forward to going 11-0, and then getting successively destroyed by Luck in his Heisman game and the second place SEC team in a BCS game.

Um... yeah.... no.

C DUB YA
09-03-2011, 07:59 PM
Also like to point out these fucking uniforms (Boise/Oregon/Georgia) are starting to look like the ones in Starship Troopers. Stop it already.

I better not see a flip-six-three-hole play anytime soon.

CuervoPH
09-03-2011, 08:24 PM
College football sucks. Ole Miss lost to BYU. At least Houston Nutt is on his death watch now.

That being said, way to go Boise State.

gaypalmsprings
09-03-2011, 09:25 PM
Northwestern University 1-0

http://www.awardconcepts.net/wp-content/uploads/northwestern-university.jpg

fikus222
09-03-2011, 10:17 PM
Hawaii with a convincing win over new Pac-12 member Colorado.

Let's see how Hawaii fares next week in Seattle against Washington.

biggfoot17
09-03-2011, 10:38 PM
This is true. TCU losing didn't do the Broncos any favors though. I also don't think Boise is nearly as good as they were last year, Georgia is not a good football team.

It's way too early to compare Boise St to last year. I agree that Georgia is overrated, but that still shouldn't take away what Boise St was able to do to them. All three of Georgia's scores came on plays over 35 yards, but the last two were on a third string safety, so there shouldn't be much concern over that. The D kept the preseason All SEC QB on lock down for a good portion of the game by overpowering an offensive line that was much, much bigger than them. Not much needs to be said about Kellen Moore. The guy will lead that offense to 30+ a game easily. To say this team isn't nearly as good is jumping the gun just a bit.

Hopefully the TCU D just had a really, really bad day and they can bounce back to old form. SDSU and/or Air Force will crack the top 25 at some point as well, so that will help to bolster Boise St's resume a bit

chunk
09-04-2011, 08:16 AM
How funny was it seeing Brian Kelly turn into a tomato during the first half yesterday? Im not hating on Notre Dame or any Notre Dame fans. It was just funny. And more than a little embarrassing for Kelly. Youd figure hed be able to keep his composure more.

C DUB YA
09-04-2011, 10:32 AM
It's way too early to compare Boise St to last year. I agree that Georgia is overrated, but that still shouldn't take away what Boise St was able to do to them. All three of Georgia's scores came on plays over 35 yards, but the last two were on a third string safety, so there shouldn't be much concern over that. The D kept the preseason All SEC QB on lock down for a good portion of the game by overpowering an offensive line that was much, much bigger than them. Not much needs to be said about Kellen Moore. The guy will lead that offense to 30+ a game easily. To say this team isn't nearly as good is jumping the gun just a bit.

It should, because Georgia isn't even a top 30 team. this year.

As far as how good Boise is, we'll never know cuz they dont play anyone until the bowl. Same ole story.

hawkingvsreeve
09-04-2011, 12:00 PM
It should, because Georgia isn't even a top 30 team. this year.

As far as how good Boise is, we'll never know cuz they dont play anyone until the bowl. Same ole story.

Tell us more, great sage of college football.

PassiveTheory
09-04-2011, 01:06 PM
So the big news on ESPN is that Texas and Oklahoma want to join the Pac-12. Does anyone think that this is the first big push toward a national realignment of conferences?

bobert
09-04-2011, 01:07 PM
How funny was it seeing Brian Kelly turn into a tomato during the first half yesterday? Im not hating on Notre Dame or any Notre Dame fans. It was just funny. And more than a little embarrassing for Kelly. Youd figure hed be able to keep his composure more.

That's his style, for what it's worth. I kind of enjoy it, because as a Notre Dame fan that game was about as frustrating as it comes, so when I'm sitting there screaming at the television and they cut to a shot of Brian Kelly looking like his heart is about ready to explode it provides a bit of much-needed comic relief. Three redzone turnovers and 30yd missed field goal will take years off any coaches life. We should have won that game by three scores.

chunk
09-04-2011, 01:30 PM
Three redzone turnovers and 30yd missed field goal will take years off any coaches life. We should have won that game by three scores.

They giftwrapped that game for South Florida.

C DUB YA
09-05-2011, 06:57 AM

what do you want to know?

kreutz2112
09-05-2011, 07:32 AM

The point he is making still stands regardless of how many times it's brought up. Boise State has played ONE big game and the national respect they get is ridiculous.

disgustipated
09-05-2011, 08:13 AM
They get respect because they are a program with a tradition of winning. Especially over the past few years.

biggfoot17
09-05-2011, 08:48 AM
The point he is making still stands regardless of how many times it's brought up. Boise State has played ONE big game and the national respect they get is ridiculous.

Your comment is ridiculous

hawkingvsreeve
09-05-2011, 11:12 AM
The fact that Utah was TCU's landmark win last season is ridiculous.

biggfoot17
09-05-2011, 11:47 AM
That's true. The Rose Bowl doesn't really mean much

suprefan
09-05-2011, 11:55 AM
So the big news on ESPN is that Texas and Oklahoma want to join the Pac-12. Does anyone think that this is the first big push toward a national realignment of conferences?

Oh, so last year with the Pac 12 coming into form, Nebraska going to The Big Ten, and TCU going to the Big East wasnt a sign?

Still-ill
09-05-2011, 11:44 PM
Uhhh... I actually like Maryland's uniforms...

suprefan
09-06-2011, 12:00 AM
Uhhh... I actually like Maryland's uniforms...

Let me know about the 58 other variations too.

heart cooks brain
09-06-2011, 06:00 AM
Let me know about the 58 other variations too.

but...underarmour

C DUB YA
09-06-2011, 09:58 AM
They get respect because they are a program with a tradition of winning. Especially over the past few years.

Since when does tradition mean "the past few years"????

C DUB YA
09-06-2011, 09:59 AM
Keep in mind BSU, Georgia is NOT a good football team.

hawkingvsreeve
09-06-2011, 10:30 AM
Your opinion has been noted. Feel free to stop posting.

heyeric
09-06-2011, 10:32 AM
Navy is off to a great start again this year.

Saturdays game pulls in a win against Delaware(40-17) who were unconditioned to the max.

biggfoot17
09-06-2011, 10:57 AM
Keep in mind BSU, Georgia is NOT a good football team.

I didn't believe you the first time you said it because of your lack of reasoning behind the statement, but now that you've said it twice it must be true

Miroir Noir
09-06-2011, 11:48 AM
That's his style, for what it's worth. I kind of enjoy it, because as a Notre Dame fan that game was about as frustrating as it comes, so when I'm sitting there screaming at the television and they cut to a shot of Brian Kelly looking like his heart is about ready to explode it provides a bit of much-needed comic relief. Three redzone turnovers and 30yd missed field goal will take years off any coaches life. We should have won that game by three scores.

Absolutely. Apoplexy was the only appropriate reaction to that game. After decades of emotionless coaches, it's nice to see someone fired up out there. Now if it can start translating into victories, we'll be on to something.

C DUB YA
09-06-2011, 12:46 PM
I didn't believe you the first time you said it because of your lack of reasoning behind the statement, but now that you've said it twice it must be true

Oh it true

C DUB YA
09-06-2011, 12:47 PM
Your opinion has been noted. Feel free to stop posting.

You do the same

disgustipated
09-06-2011, 03:08 PM
Since when does tradition mean "the past few years"????

Pay attention to the details. Key word in the sentence you failed to quote being 'especially'. In my book anyone with a 70% all-time win record has a tradition of winning. 'Especially' over the past few years where they have won over 92% of their games.

hawkingvsreeve
09-06-2011, 03:19 PM
Ohio State fans. The worst? Debatably, yes.

Vasoline Groove
09-06-2011, 04:48 PM
Ohio State fans. The worst? Debatably, yes.

They are definitely right up there. My all time favorite college football memory is being at the 2006/07 Championship game in Arizona and watching my Gators completely silence 75% of the crowd that were all OSU fans. I saw dudes crying, as the Gators continued to beat the crap out of them. I'm literally grining from ear to ear just typing this. Then I watched us beat the crap out of them in the basketball national championship two months later. 2007 was a fucking great year!

Also, Georgia fans tend to be delusional about their national significance. You guys need a better coach, but this Richt guy seems like he has been phoning it in for the past five years. And enough about Herschal. Yeah, he was a fucking beast, but that was 30 years ago.

And us Gator fans have been called pricks too. Not gonna lie.

C DUB YA
09-06-2011, 05:04 PM
They are definitely right up there. My all time favorite college football memory is being at the 2006/07 Championship game in Arizona and watching my Gators completely silence 75% of the crowd that were all OSU fans. I saw dudes crying, as the Gators continued to beat the crap out of them. I'm literally grining from ear to ear just typing this. Then I watched us beat the crap out of them in the basketball national championship two months later. 2007 was a fucking great year!

Also, Georgia fans tend to be delusional about their national significance. You guys need a better coach, but this Richt guy seems like he has been phoning it in for the past five years. And enough about Herschal. Yeah, he was a fucking beast, but that was 30 years ago.

And us Gator fans have been called pricks too. Not gonna lie.

yes gator fans are pricks too.

C DUB YA
09-06-2011, 05:05 PM
Pay attention to the details. Key word in the sentence you failed to quote being 'especially'. In my book anyone with a 70% all-time win record has a tradition of winning. 'Especially' over the past few years where they have won over 92% of their games.

this is where I ask... against who, and where you reply... mostly crap teams.

TommyboyUNM
09-06-2011, 05:18 PM
But they DO have a tradition of winning. Would it be better if they didn't beat the teams on their schedule?

bobert
09-06-2011, 05:32 PM
this is where I ask... against who, and where you reply... mostly crap teams.

They beat every team that's put in front of them. Is their strength of schedule on par with most SEC teams? Of course not, but they win (almost) every football game they're allowed to compete in and embody everything that is completely fucked with the BCS. In any other sport Boise State would be playing top-tier teams in the playoffs at the end of every season and we could put this whole argument to rest forever, but instead they get relegated to some half-assed bowl game which they almost always win, usually finishing the season without a loss. If the Broncos are as overrated as you think a playoff system would expose them pretty quickly, but since this is the BCS we're talking about we can go on speculating and ranking and talking about who's overrated or not without ever really knowing anything. I can tell you one thing: we never needed a computer to calculate who won the Superbowl, or which teams deserved to play in it.

suprefan
09-06-2011, 07:33 PM
I would like to see BSU in the Big 12 against Texas, Oklahoma, Texas A & M(if they had stayed), Texas Tech, Ok State etc etc and try to beat them every single year on a consistent basis. Its not happening. They have thrived so much because the competition in their conference is laughable compared to what they bring to the table. And the BSU people feel that they could handle a SEC conference schedule and go unscathed?

bobert
09-06-2011, 07:39 PM
I'm sure Boise State wishes they played in a conference that was allowed to compete for championships too.

Miroir Noir
09-06-2011, 07:54 PM
We'll actually get to see a version of this debate play itself out in reality with Utah and the PAC-12 this season.

biggfoot17
09-06-2011, 09:31 PM
Would Boise St go undefeated in the Big 12 or SEC? Probably not. Would they lose 4 or more games? Probable not. But to say they still wouldn't be a top 25 is a bit of a joke, especially in the Big 12.

As far as Utah, I think they'll finish top 25 as well, mostly cause the Pac 12 isn't that great this year compared to some of the more recent seasons

Miroir Noir
09-06-2011, 09:47 PM
I'll be interested to see how Utah does this weekend; it should say a lot about whether or not they will be a contender their first year in the league. They were pretty anemic offensively against a I-AA school in week 1.

biggfoot17
09-06-2011, 10:00 PM
Ya, but except for the Barkley and Wood duo, USC didn't look stellar either. I'll be watching this one for sure. I hope USC gets romped

Gribbz
09-06-2011, 10:16 PM
They beat every team that's put in front of them. Is their strength of schedule on par with most SEC teams? Of course not, but they win (almost) every football game they're allowed to compete in and embody everything that is completely fucked with the BCS. In any other sport Boise State would be playing top-tier teams in the playoffs at the end of every season and we could put this whole argument to rest forever, but instead they get relegated to some half-assed bowl game which they almost always win, usually finishing the season without a loss. If the Broncos are as overrated as you think a playoff system would expose them pretty quickly, but since this is the BCS we're talking about we can go on speculating and ranking and talking about who's overrated or not without ever really knowing anything. I can tell you one thing: we never needed a computer to calculate who won the Superbowl, or which teams deserved to play in it.

Well said. Until then, March Madness is numero uno.

And the BSU people feel that they could handle a SEC conference schedule and go unscathed?

I don't think anyone has/would make such a claim.

Miroir Noir
09-06-2011, 10:39 PM
I tend to be in the "playoffs are a good idea" camp, but I'm not sure that they're panacea for college football's ills. I find March Madness to be strangely unsatisfying in the way that it becomes weirdly less compelling with each successive round; I have seen many, many Final Four matchups and games that were just plain anticlimatic compared to what came before. Also, the seeding and one and done formats are terribly arbitrary in their own way, but that's perhaps more of a basketball-specific complaint.

The biggest reason why a playoff wouldn't solve the main issues wth the sport is that the cartel structure would probably still dictate the top eight teams picked each year to play.

hawkingvsreeve
09-06-2011, 11:39 PM
I'm not having the Boise State argument, yet again, with a bunch of idiots. Every argument against BSU is flawed. Eat some dicks. etc. etc.

bobert
09-07-2011, 12:56 AM
I tend to be in the "playoffs are a good idea" camp, but I'm not sure that they're panacea for college football's ills.

My hometown school, the University of Montana, plays in the FCS (the Football Championship Subdivision), the division directly below the BCS. The division has a 20-team, single elimination playoff system, and is superior to the BCS in every way (other than athletic and coaching talent.) Anyone who says that playoffs would never work in college football is full of shit. Ironically, Boise State used to be the UM's division rivals, but left for the upper subdivision where they're routinely excluded from the championship race.

C DUB YA
09-07-2011, 07:01 AM
I'm not having the Boise State argument, yet again, with a bunch of idiots. Every argument against BSU is flawed. Eat some dicks. etc. etc.

Yet you ARE having it...?

kreutz2112
09-07-2011, 07:54 AM
I'll be interested to see how Utah does this weekend; it should say a lot about whether or not they will be a contender their first year in the league. They were pretty anemic offensively against a I-AA school in week 1.

My theory is that we weren't running the offense we will run against Pac-12 teams, essentially leaving USC with no film to study. What was seen last Thursday was not a Norm Chow offense.

hawkingvsreeve
09-07-2011, 09:05 AM
Yet you ARE having it...?

You seem to be confused.

C DUB YA
09-07-2011, 10:33 AM
You seem to be confused.

I'm fine.

you say you're not having the argument and then go right into... "Every argument against BSU is flawed. Eat some dicks". That IS the argument... or discussion if you will. I say those points you bring up are not flawed in the least. The national footbal media and fans have them because those are the main discussion points.

But I except nothing more from you, than the usual dick-eating type suggestions anyway. Carry on.

hawkingvsreeve
09-07-2011, 10:38 AM
The dick eating was in jest.

Also, I have brought up 0 points.

biggfoot17
09-07-2011, 01:25 PM
Also, I have brought up 0 points.

C DUB YA has been doing the same

Gribbz
09-07-2011, 01:26 PM
I hope we don't get embarrassed by Oklahoma State tomorrow.

Snap.

hawkingvsreeve
09-07-2011, 01:44 PM
So Baylor is suing A&M. Makes sense when you think about it.

C DUB YA
09-07-2011, 08:16 PM

Shhhhh

keep that on the down low.

the goat
09-08-2011, 02:28 AM
Boomer Sooner!!

So, who else remembers the last time their team had a walk-on run for 4 touchdowns? Me neither.

Obviously I'm prayin that somehow Boise makes it to the BCS title game, for a rematch that actually means something...but it will never, ever happen.

Despite Hawking's numerous emissions, here are ALL OF THE TEAMS that would have to have more than 1 loss at the end of the season in order for Boise to be in the BCS Championship:

Oklahoma
Alabama
LSU
Wisconsin
Virginia Tech
Mississippi State
Stanford
Oregon
Ohio State
Nebraska
Florida State
Virginia Tech
Iowa
Michigan St

not to mention any other sleeper school from a automatic qualifier conference. The chances of Boise getting into a BCS Championship Game remain incredibly remote.

C DUB YA
09-08-2011, 09:27 AM
That's simply not accurate.

Let's say a OSU or Wisconsin lose their final game or the the Big 10 championship... neither one of them would get to the BCS championship over a undefeated Boise.

Same goes for many others teams on that list. Part of it is when they lose and the strength of the schedule... for example LSU could have lost to Oregon last week, then run the table in the SEC and still make it to the championship game. LSU playing 6-7 ranked teams in their schedule and coming out with 1 loss, certainly tops Boise's undefeated recorded when they play only one ranked opponent. This is when strength of schedule really factors in who's going where, at the end of the year.

TommyboyUNM
09-08-2011, 12:52 PM
That's simply not accurate.

Let's say a OSU or Wisconsin lose their final game or the the Big 10 championship... neither one of them would get to the BCS championship over a undefeated Boise.

Same goes for many others teams on that list. Part of it is when they lose and the strength of the schedule... for example LSU could have lost to Oregon last week, then run the table in the SEC and still make it to the championship game. LSU playing 6-7 ranked teams in their schedule and coming out with 1 loss, certainly tops Boise's undefeated recorded when they play only one ranked opponent. This is when everybody realizes college football's system is a fucking joke.

I think this is what you meant to write.

C DUB YA
09-08-2011, 04:00 PM
I think this is what you meant to write.

The system is a joke - but it is what it is right now and thus, that Boise statement I was referring to is inaccurate.

hawkingvsreeve
09-08-2011, 10:38 PM
Boomer Sooner!!

So, who else remembers the last time their team had a walk-on run for 4 touchdowns? Me neither.

Obviously I'm prayin that somehow Boise makes it to the BCS title game, for a rematch that actually means something...but it will never, ever happen.

Despite Hawking's numerous emissions, here are ALL OF THE TEAMS that would have to have more than 1 loss at the end of the season in order for Boise to be in the BCS Championship:

Oklahoma
Alabama
LSU
Wisconsin
Virginia Tech
Mississippi State
Stanford
Oregon
Ohio State
Nebraska
Florida State
Virginia Tech
Iowa
Michigan St

not to mention any other sleeper school from a automatic qualifier conference. The chances of Boise getting into a BCS Championship Game remain incredibly remote.

Unless we are talking about all things nocturnal, I have made 0 emissions.

fikus222
09-10-2011, 04:39 PM
Washington, Stanford and Cal won today, yeah buddy.

suprefan
09-10-2011, 04:42 PM
Great games today. Miss State and Auburn went to the wire. Same with Georgia and South Carolina. And Bama destroyed Penn state. Michigan does not look good at all right now against Notre Dame. The jerseys look awesome at least.

Somewhat Damaged
09-10-2011, 05:31 PM
Was it just me or did Georgia look absolutely pathetic today against South Carolina? Man, Boise State has got to be shitting bricks if that's going to go down as their "quality" non-conference win.

OutOfmYminD
09-10-2011, 05:50 PM
Ehhh it was a close game and sc had 2 defensive touchdowns and a fake punt run in for another td. Seems like more of a case of Georgia shooting themselves in the foot.

biggfoot17
09-10-2011, 06:12 PM
Was it just me or did Georgia look absolutely pathetic today against South Carolina? Man, Boise State has got to be shitting bricks if that's going to go down as their "quality" non-conference win.

Umm...did you actually watch the game? Like outof said, Georgia beat themselves today. Despite giving up a pick-6, a fumble-6 (doesn't roll off the tongue quite as well) and nearly a second fumble-6, Georgia still only lost by 3 to a team that some have considered a sleeper to make the title game. They certainly didn't do any favors for Boise St today, but it's a long season and I wouldn't be surprised if they run the table the rest of the way. The only thing that's absolutely pathetic is your evaluation of their performance.

suprefan
09-10-2011, 06:19 PM

South Carolina made plays when it counted and took advantage of Georgias mistakes. So yeah, as said, UGA beat themselves. They couldve won that game, but it wasnt int he cards. Aaron Murray has potential, he just needs to have a receiver to make up for no AJ Green now. The running game is solid enough at least.

WTF, Michigan. They still have no run defense AT ALL. Notre Dame is lucky that Michigan hasnt been able to score off of each turnover.

biggfoot17
09-10-2011, 06:57 PM
I hate the versus network/time warner cable for not being able to see that USC-Utah game

suprefan
09-10-2011, 07:12 PM
Yeah, this got really good now.

suprefan
09-10-2011, 07:37 PM
!!!!

TomAz
09-10-2011, 08:25 PM
Someone help me understand why, on any rational basis that doesn't involve money, Notre Dame is considered relevant in national college football anymore?

TomAz
09-10-2011, 08:26 PM
That sentence is poorly made but you know what I mean

OutOfmYminD
09-10-2011, 08:46 PM
Is nostalgia rational?

heart cooks brain
09-10-2011, 09:22 PM
Same will be said for michigan in a few years, if it isn't alewady.

Somewhat Damaged
09-10-2011, 10:35 PM
I was making fun of C DUB YA for saying that Georgia isn't very good when they demonstrated that they are.

biggfoot17
09-10-2011, 10:55 PM
Oh haha. I retract my comments!

There was so much hype around this Michigan-Notre Dame game for what? Yes, it was a crazy game, but what effect does it have on anything? It's incredible how a rich history can carry a school for years beyond their glory. This pretty much represents the entire Big 10, IMO. It's an entire conference that gets more respect than it deserves

TomAz
09-11-2011, 06:27 AM
This was also a crazy game involving the Big 10, but wasn't hyped quite to the same extent.

uMOdnXayRBU

C DUB YA
09-12-2011, 08:37 AM
I was making fun of C DUB YA for saying that Georgia isn't very good when they demonstrated that they are.

I still don't think they are very good. Same goes for Texas, Ohio State, and Auburn.

C DUB YA
09-12-2011, 08:45 AM
Oh haha. I retract my comments!

There was so much hype around this Michigan-Notre Dame game for what? Yes, it was a crazy game, but what effect does it have on anything? It's incredible how a rich history can carry a school for years beyond their glory. This pretty much represents the entire Big 10, IMO. It's an entire conference that gets more respect than it deserves

Your opinion represents a PAC 10 fan. Rich history is important, because without it, all you may be is very good team for a few years, with eye catching jerseys with steel wings on them (just an example). If you do indeed start winning over a much longer period of time, guess what... you now have a rich tradition and find yourself in the same boat as a ND or Mich. if things don't always go your way.

I understand what you are saying, but the game you are calling out is still a rival game, with a TON of interest in it, no matter where the teams are ranked at the time. I despise both, but still watched it. It was fun.

Weird yet expected dynamic to a message board located on the west coast I guess.

hawkingvsreeve
09-12-2011, 09:56 AM
Yeah, west coast residing college football fan are like, the worst, guys.

chunk
09-12-2011, 10:56 AM
That USC/Utah ending was crazy. A 17 - 14 final turned to 23 - 14 two hours after the game was over. It affected "the number" directly. Vegas was a mess. An official at the Mirage said they lost twice as much as they had to pay the corrected score winners after they already paid the original "final score" winners. They obviously couldnt get the money back from people they already incorrectly paid. Too funny. I bet people who bet on that game will never throw away losing tickets again. Or wait to cash in on a winning one either. Too, too funny.

edit: MGM Grand, not Mirage

C DUB YA
09-12-2011, 11:39 AM
Yeah, west coast residing college football fan are like, the worst, guys.

Never said anything close to that.

biggfoot17
09-12-2011, 02:15 PM
Your opinion represents a PAC 10 fan. Rich history is important, because without it, all you may be is very good team for a few years, with eye catching jerseys with steel wings on them (just an example). If you do indeed start winning over a much longer period of time, guess what... you now have a rich tradition and find yourself in the same boat as a ND or Mich. if things don't always go your way.

I understand what you are saying, but the game you are calling out is still a rival game, with a TON of interest in it, no matter where the teams are ranked at the time. I despise both, but still watched it. It was fun.

Weird yet expected dynamic to a message board located on the west coast I guess.

Funny, cause I'm not a Pac-12 fan. Your opinion represents the fans of teams who haven't been good for years. I can somewhat understand Michigan, but when was the last time things went Notre Dame's way? Army-Navy is a huge rivalry game that gets tons of interest, but who gives a shit in terms of college football significance? Tradition is great when the teams involved are actually good.

C DUB YA
09-13-2011, 08:24 AM
Funny, cause I'm not a Pac-12 fan.

then who do you back?

chunk
09-13-2011, 09:39 AM
I like every team. And every player and coach on every team. Along with every fan. I find it hard to hate anything about this thing.

biggfoot17
09-13-2011, 10:16 AM
I'm partial to the MWC/WAC (in the olden days) since everywhere I lived growing up has had a college in the conference (Utah, Albuquerque, NM, and San Diego). Although I hate Utah and BYU for leaving the MWC just when the addition of Boise St was going to solidify their designation as a BCS conference, I would still like to see them win. If I were to pick one team though, it'd be Boise St. Been following them for nearly a decade since I first went to watch them play on the blue turf. I pretty much love seeing mid-majors beat the higher profile schools.

C DUB YA
09-13-2011, 11:07 AM
I'm partial to the MWC/WAC (in the olden days) since everywhere I lived growing up has had a college in the conference (Utah, Albuquerque, NM, and San Diego). Although I hate Utah and BYU for leaving the MWC just when the addition of Boise St was going to solidify their designation as a BCS conference, I would still like to see them win. If I were to pick one team though, it'd be Boise St. Been following them for nearly a decade since I first went to watch them play on the blue turf. I pretty much love seeing mid-majors beat the higher profile schools.

I understand that - but be careful what you wish for - a few more years of winning and Boise is going to be one of those schools.

chunk
09-13-2011, 11:19 AM
I dont think Boise St has lost to a team from an AQ conference in over half a decade.

hawkingvsreeve
09-13-2011, 11:54 AM
They will next year.

suprefan
09-13-2011, 12:24 PM
They will next year.

No Moore = no big bowl game

I dont think Boise St has lost to a team from an AQ conference in over half a decade.

Will that matter when the day comes and theyre in an AQ conference?

C DUB YA
09-13-2011, 12:29 PM

You mean in 5 years? (love the word spinning)

Is 5 years really that long?

hawkingvsreeve
09-13-2011, 12:35 PM
No Moore = no big bowl game

Will that matter when the day comes and theyre in an AQ conference?

Moore and the entire defensive line.

Honestly I dont see them in an AQ anytime soon unless everybody goes to 16 team conferences. Even then I would wager that they would be left out.

hawkingvsreeve
09-13-2011, 12:39 PM

They lost to Washington in 2007.

hawkingvsreeve
09-13-2011, 12:40 PM
Georgia, Oregon State and Boston College in 2005.

suprefan
09-13-2011, 01:02 PM
This will hurt recruiting too

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/sports_blog/2011/09/boise-state-cited-for-violations-in-five-sports-including-football.html?dlvrit=53285

boarderwoozel3
09-13-2011, 01:12 PM
Fun fact: UW has the 4th longest win streak in the nation at 7 games. But alas, we travel to Nebraska this weekend for a nat'l tv game. Gut-check time.

chunk
09-13-2011, 02:43 PM
Georgia, Oregon State and Boston College in 2005.

They lost to Washington in 2007.

I remembered 2005. You coudnt get away from SEC fans talking about 2005 this past summer. I completely blanked on Washington '07. I still cant remember that game. Ill have to look it up later.

The point I was trying to get across was they are one of the higher profile schools now already.

biggfoot17
09-13-2011, 02:49 PM
The point I was trying to get across was they are one of the higher profile schools now already.

Which is why it's so fun to see them doing well now. If/When they become part of an AQ conference (MWC is pretty borderline for their review coming up), it's not like I'm going to stop rooting for them. It'll be interesting to see how they do next year. Won't be as tough as they are now, but they'll still be competitive and should win the MWC with ease.

The slap on the hand they got from the NCAA shouldn't effect their recruiting too much. 9 scholarships over 3 years isn't THAT big of a hit.

kreutz2112
09-13-2011, 02:52 PM
Utah and BYU leaving the mwc pretty much solidified them as a non-AQ for at least the next 5 years.

biggfoot17
09-13-2011, 03:13 PM
Not necessarily. TCU will still count for the MWC, and with SDSU and Air Force playing well the past two years there's still a chance. If they don't get brought in for 2012, they most likely will for 2014 when they review all the conferences. The Big East doesn't stand a chance to keep their BCS standing, and the ACC is borderline as well. Of course none of this will matter if the 4 super conferences are developed.

hawkingvsreeve
09-13-2011, 03:20 PM
Don't rush to judgement on the Big East. The BCS homers love their "tradition." Nothing will change.

biggfoot17
09-13-2011, 03:28 PM
If they go by their own criteria, there is no way the Big East is a BCS conference. And if they keep the Big East as a BCS conference, they'll bring hell upon themselves and their system by congress for giving exclusive access to multibillion dollar games to some schools but denying others who are "better qualified"

biggfoot17
09-14-2011, 12:04 AM
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog/dr_saturday/post/Nike-8217-s-assault-on-traditional-football-fas?urn=ncaaf-wp6283

With the exception of Georgia, I dig the pro combat unis

biggfoot17
09-16-2011, 10:06 PM
Although the game wasn't really close, Boise St should have won by a more convincing score. Kellen Moore did have a Heisman day though, and he even sat out the last half of the 4th quarter

C DUB YA
09-16-2011, 10:15 PM
Although the game wasn't really close, Boise St should have won by a more convincing score. Kellen Moore did have a Heisman day though, and he even sat out the last half of the 4th quarter

it was a crappy game from the second qtr on.

the goat
09-16-2011, 11:14 PM
http://i52.tinypic.com/2i6os52.jpg

the goat
09-16-2011, 11:24 PM
Kellen Moore did have a Heisman day though, and he even sat out the last half of the 4th quarter

I wish you luck, but tune in tomorrow, when everyone else will. On Friday night, most people have lives outside Boise/Toledo football. Not me though, too busy tweeting Greg Reid.

CuervoPH
09-17-2011, 06:43 AM
I'm torn. Do I want Ole Miss to win today to keep bowl hopes alive, or do I want Ole Miss to lose today so we have a shot at someone other than Houston Nutt at coach?

I can't wait for Oklahoma/FSU tonight though. I don't have a vested interest in either team so I'm hoping for a game that's not a blowout.

kreutz2112
09-17-2011, 07:01 AM
I am at jiffy lube right now and am sitting in the lobby waiting for an oil change. There is a woman sitting across from me with a BYU shirt on. All i can think about right now is how much i want her to not be alive.

concertgoer
09-17-2011, 07:35 AM
Go WMU and MSU!

hawkingvsreeve
09-17-2011, 01:15 PM
Although the game wasn't really close, Boise St should have won by a more convincing score.

College football: A sport so ridiculous that even a 25 point differential is not considered a "convincing" win.

fikus222
09-17-2011, 01:21 PM
The Washington v. Nebraska grudgematch is shaping up to be quite the game. Too bad the Big 10 refs stole a TD from UW by calling interference on UW when the Nebraska player obviously tripped over his own team mate.

Edit:

Fuck these Big 10 refs. They just called another completely bullshit interference penalty. Well, that's it. These two terrible calls have irrevocably altered the course of this game.

Every time in recent memory that UW has traveled to play a Big 10 team at home, the referees have stolen the game away from UW. Way to go douchebags.

Edit 2:

OMFG the refs have just called ANOTHER bullshit Interference call!!!!!!!!!!!!

biggfoot17
09-17-2011, 02:35 PM
it was a crappy game from the second qtr on.

As usual, your insight is priceless

I wish you luck, but tune in tomorrow, when everyone else will. On Friday night, most people have lives outside Boise/Toledo football. Not me though, too busy tweeting Greg Reid.

Wish me luck with...?

College football: A sport so ridiculous that even a 25 point differential is not considered a "convincing" win.

For a team that needs to be blowing opponents out of games, no, it wasn't convincing. If it weren't for two red zone turnovers, the score would have been much closer

Miroir Noir
09-17-2011, 03:06 PM
Notre Dame finally finishes a goddamn game!

C DUB YA
09-17-2011, 03:25 PM
The Washington v. Nebraska grudgematch is shaping up to be quite the game. Too bad the Big 10 refs stole a TD from UW by calling interference on UW when the Nebraska player obviously tripped over his own team mate.

Edit:

Fuck these Big 10 refs. They just called another completely bullshit interference penalty. Well, that's it. These two terrible calls have irrevocably altered the course of this game.

Every time in recent memory that UW has traveled to play a Big 10 team at home, the referees have stolen the game away from UW. Way to go douchebags.

Edit 2:

OMFG the refs have just called ANOTHER bullshit Interference call!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah - it's the ref's fault. Everytime. haha

I don't have a dog in that race, but I can tell you the refs didn't sway or take away the game my friend.

C DUB YA
09-17-2011, 03:26 PM
As usual, your insight is priceless

You like to watch a game that is completely out of hand by the second qtr - I sure don't. You're an idiot.

boarderwoozel3
09-17-2011, 03:52 PM
Yeah - it's the ref's fault. Everytime. haha

I don't have a dog in that race, but I can tell you the refs didn't sway or take away the game my friend.

The refs didn't sway momentum in any way? This leads me to believe you didn't watch the game. Pretty sure botching a call that disallows a touchdown is the definition of 'taking away.'

Overall it was a tough loss but very encouraging performance for UW. The self-inflicted wounds are easy to fix. Price is the real deal with skill position players equal to the task. With all the young talent producing already this team's ceiling keeps on getting higher and higher.

biggfoot17
09-17-2011, 05:11 PM
You like to watch a game that is completely out of hand by the second qtr - I sure don't. You're an idiot.

You have yet to provide one insightful statement about anything related to football. "They suck" and "that was crappy" are the comments of someone who has no knowledge or comprehension of the game. I'm a fan of Boise St, so yes, I watched the game, as I would expect any fan of any team to do. At the start of the second quarter, the score was 13-6. At halftime it was 20-9. I'm not sure what football games you watch where an 11 point lead is considered out of hand. I would call you an idiot, but pointing out what is painfully obvious is rather redundant.

C DUB YA
09-17-2011, 07:48 PM
You have yet to provide one insightful statement about anything related to football. "They suck" and "that was crappy" are the comments of someone who has no knowledge or comprehension of the game. I'm a fan of Boise St, so yes, I watched the game, as I would expect any fan of any team to do. At the start of the second quarter, the score was 13-6. At halftime it was 20-9. I'm not sure what football games you watch where an 11 point lead is considered out of hand. I would call you an idiot, but pointing out what is painfully obvious is rather redundant.

Why to you want to debate on something so subjective? Get over yourself man, you aint no Jimmy the greek. You like Boise St, I kinda fucking hate them. We'll need to move on.

I in fact watch plenty of games and I do in fact consider an 11 pt lead for Boise in THAT game to be out of hand. It turned out to be the case. Therefore for ME, a crappy game to watch.

C DUB YA
09-17-2011, 07:50 PM
The refs didn't sway momentum in any way? This leads me to believe you didn't watch the game. Pretty sure botching a call that disallows a touchdown is the definition of 'taking away.'

Overall it was a tough loss but very encouraging performance for UW. The self-inflicted wounds are easy to fix. Price is the real deal with skill position players equal to the task. With all the young talent producing already this team's ceiling keeps on getting higher and higher.

I watched it - and disagree with both the refs swaying (there was one call) and a few of your complaints on the calls. Not saying everything was called great, but that happens in every game every week. Good teams (alright great) teams overcome that shit. There was a bit too much Nebraska O for them. A good W effort for sure, they played waaay better than I expected.

C DUB YA
09-17-2011, 07:52 PM
Andrew Luck is pretty great. Nice to watch him in prime time tonight, esp after that OSU debacle. Standford is luck-y to have him for sure, maybe the best QB I've seen since Brees or Manning.

fikus222
09-17-2011, 08:05 PM
Yep, Stanford's some good shit. I'll be at the UW v. Stanford game the day after Portishead at the Berkeley Greek.

Damn you Wildcats, quit injuring Stanford's best players!!

Gribbz
09-17-2011, 08:07 PM
Those were all clean hits though.

Foles is 15/15 so far. Hopefully our defense can step it up(although I'm not expecting much).

fikus222
09-17-2011, 08:09 PM
Yep, those were all good/clean hits. The Wildcats look pretty good tonight, especially Foles. UA definitely looks better tonight than when I saw them at Stanford Stadium last year.

Gribbz
09-17-2011, 08:12 PM
^ I keep forgetting that you and Erika collectively have went to like... 6 schools in the Pac-12.

fikus222
09-17-2011, 08:15 PM
Me: ASU and UW
Erika: UCLA, Stanford and UW

biggfoot17
09-17-2011, 08:21 PM
Why to you want to debate on something so subjective? Get over yourself man, you aint no Jimmy the greek. You like Boise St, I kinda fucking hate them. We'll need to move on.

I in fact watch plenty of games and I do in fact consider an 11 pt lead for Boise in THAT game to be out of hand. It turned out to be the case. Therefore for ME, a crappy game to watch.

That wasn't a debate. That was you calling me an idiot and me putting in your place.

On another note, the Big East is about to dissolve. This idea of the super conferences is looking more and more likely by the week.

fikus222
09-17-2011, 08:24 PM
Stanford v. UA is definitely shaping up to be an interesting slugfest.

Gribbz
09-17-2011, 08:26 PM
Pass interference in the end zone. Ugh. That ball was Criner's. Shitty penalty(for UA).

suprefan
09-17-2011, 08:32 PM
Lame that the OK State game is still weather delayed. :(

fikus222
09-17-2011, 08:40 PM
Pass interference in the end zone. Ugh. That ball was Criner's. Shitty penalty(for UA).

Well, he was beat and pass interference was the 'smart' move.

Gribbz
09-17-2011, 08:42 PM
Well, he was beat and pass interference was the 'smart' move.

I know. Very smart penalty for Stanford. IT JUST SUCKS.

EDIT* I'm very happy with how we're playing at this point.

fikus222
09-17-2011, 08:47 PM
I know. Very smart penalty for Stanford. IT JUST SUCKS.

EDIT* I'm very happy with how we're playing at this point.

Stanford has to find a way to limit Foles' passing game.

Edit:

Damn, conversely, the Cats' running game is picking up steam.

edit 2:

The Wildcat's had better recruit some soccer player to act as their place kicker, cuz these guys aren't working out for them.

Gribbz
09-17-2011, 08:53 PM
No kidding. We haven't had a decent FG kicker since Nick Folk.

fikus222
09-17-2011, 09:11 PM
First throwing TD for Luck, yeah Buddy!!

Edit:

Another throwing TD. I do believe the tide has irrevocably changed to the Cardinal.

knytt
09-17-2011, 09:49 PM
And I actually thought UCLA could upset Texas. What an annoying game..

fikus222
09-17-2011, 09:53 PM
I'm guessing this year will be another disappointing season for UCLA.

fikus222
09-17-2011, 10:09 PM
The current longest winning streak in NCAAFB now belongs to Stanford, nice.

Here's hoping the Cardinal can upset the damn Ducks!!

flea73
09-17-2011, 10:23 PM
I'm guessing this year will be another disappointing season for UCLA.

Disappointing is an understatement, fikus. For the 1st time in my life I'm embarrased to say I'm a UCLA fan. Though I at least have my alma mater (SDSU) to root for in the mean time.

C DUB YA
09-17-2011, 10:48 PM
That wasn't a debate. That was you calling me an idiot and me putting in your place.

Keep thinking that. It will get you far on the internet.

You did nothing of the sort - I told you why I thought it was a crappy game, I gave my reasons (you said I had none, or no insight to back that up), and that is the long and short-bus of it my friend.

C DUB YA
09-17-2011, 10:49 PM
Disappointing is an understatement, fikus. For the 1st time in my life I'm embarrased to say I'm a UCLA fan. Though I at least have my alma mater (SDSU) to root for in the mean time.

Could be worse you could be trying to watch Ohio State this year.

Painful. It's going to be long and miserable I'm afraid.

dorkfish
09-19-2011, 03:28 PM
PAC-16 looks to be closer to a done deal adding Oklahoma+State and Texas+Tech.

And the Big 12 remnants (leftovers after the SEC or ACC takes a team or two) and the Big East remnants (leftovers after the SEC or ACC takes a team or two) are talking a Big 12+East merger with the leftovers. So sounds like the Big 12 will get TCU, after all, but their conference will barely match up with the Mountain West:

Cincinnati, Connecticut, South Florida, Rutgers, Louisville, West Virginia, TCU, Baylor, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Missouri

And of those, Missouri, Rutgers, Kansas, Connecticut, and Louisville are all in danger of getting cherry picked by the Big Ten, ACC, and SEC.

apostle2
09-19-2011, 03:48 PM

And the Big 12 remnants (leftovers after the SEC or ACC takes a team or two) and the Big East remnants (leftovers after the SEC or ACC takes a team or two) are talking a Big 12+East merger with the leftovers. So sounds like the Big 12 will get TCU, after all, but their conference will barely match up with the Mountain West:

Cincinnati, Connecticut, South Florida, Rutgers, Louisville, West Virginia, TCU, Baylor, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Missouri

And of those, Missouri, Rutgers, Kansas, Connecticut, and Louisville are all in danger of getting cherry picked by the Big Ten, ACC, and SEC.

No way does West Virgina stay in that conference. Also, Notre Dame will be there for every sport other than football.

hawkingvsreeve
09-19-2011, 03:53 PM
$$$

apostle2
09-19-2011, 04:06 PM
After thinking about it all weekend, as long as UConn and Rutgers/WVU/Louisville/Kansas come along to the ACC, I think I'm going to be ok with all this. I even tentatively ventured out in an SU hoodie today.

fiyahhh!
09-19-2011, 08:01 PM
If the PAC-16 does happen, it would be cool if the two divisions were the PAC-8 and then everyone else. Also, Stanford's Shayne Skov is out for the season after the knee injury he sustained against Arizona. The defense is really going to feel his absence - besides leading the team in tackles last year, he is also the heart and soul of their defense.

dorkfish
09-19-2011, 09:04 PM
If the PAC-16 does happen, it would be cool if the two divisions were the PAC-8 and then everyone else. Also, Stanford's Shayne Skov is out for the season after the knee injury he sustained against Arizona. The defense is really going to feel his absence - besides leading the team in tackles last year, he is also the heart and soul of their defense.
The discussed divisions that Texas/OU seem to want are:

Texas
Oklahoma
Texas Tech
Oklahoma State

Colorado
Stanford
Cal
Utah

USC
UCLA
Arizona
Arizona State

Oregon
Oregon State
Washington
Washington State

So essentially it's 4 pods (2 of which are the Pac-8).

hawkingvsreeve
09-19-2011, 11:27 PM
Our teams are going to be fucked, Brad.

caeden
09-20-2011, 01:35 AM

Kansas will NOT be cherry picked. they will be part of the discarded remnants. KU is a BASKETBALL school, not a FOOTBALL school (since that is the sport driving all the realignment). KU and K-State will be sticking together (not necessarily by choice). Mizzou makes sense to the Big Ten, geographically and rivalry-wise (Illinois). Lock the st. louis market down, with inroads to the kansas city area.

Connecticut is already trying to drum up support within the ACC in order to smooth over any conference jumping. Rutgers is also a likely ACC joiner due to geographical sense. although i must agree with, i think it was mirror_noir, when he said that Rutgers could possibly join the Big Ten.

also the reporting is that Notre Dame would like to remain independent [yeah right], but if they had to join a (super)conference, it would prefer the ACC to the Big Ten.

The discussed divisions that Texas/OU seem to want are:

Texas
Oklahoma
Texas Tech
Oklahoma State

Colorado
Stanford
Cal
Utah

USC
UCLA
Arizona
Arizona State

Oregon
Oregon State
Washington
Washington State

So essentially it's 4 pods (2 of which are the Pac-8).

again i will defer you (the majority of you are in pac-#-land) to this, but i have a feeling this won't fly with the conference head office. the PacNW schools are essentially isolated from the recruiting hotbeds of texas and california.

overall we are heading to the four superconference era. sixteen teams per conference (two divisions of eight). conference championships with the champions playing each other in a "final four" of football, with winners advancing to "plus one/championship" game. "seeding" determined by the BCS formula. Rose, Sugar, and Orange bowls hosting "semis" and "final" on a rotating basis. if the Fiesta's standing survive its payoff controversy-thingy, then i can see a "third-place" game being added [more tv money]. rotation will still be maintained. there will be a "playoff", but under the BCS's terms

fikus222
09-20-2011, 02:40 AM
I cry BULLSHIT!!! This proposed Pac-16 crappola would add further insult to injury.

dorkfish
09-20-2011, 08:47 AM
KU's football program has been sad (which a couple bright spots) for awhile, now, but I wouldn't count out the desire to pair up their basketball program with any of the basketball heavy conferences. Their academic ranking isn't awful, so they could possibly be a more attractive thank teams. KSU would likely have to be packaged in, as you mentioned.

Big Ten would love to have a New York area team with Rutgers.

Mizzou would make more sense in the Big Ten, but there's been a lot of speculation that the SEC would like to lock down the St Louis market, as well.

PacNW does get screwed with the suggested pods system, but I doubt that they would be able to fix that with any other grouping arrangement. OU, OSU, UT, and TTU all want to play each other every season, so they're grouped together. If they do 4 teams, that'll have to be a pod, and if it's 8 team grouping, it's not geographically sensible to include any PacNW teams.

The Pac-12 is pushing for Texas to allow the conference creative control over certain portions of the Longhorn Network (i.e. Pac16 presents Longhorn Network) that will allow them time to highlight the strengths of the other conference teams to allow "fair" recruitment advertising. I don't think that the pods system would hurt the PacNW teams as much in recruiting as you think. Currently, there isn't one Texas H.S. kid on the 2011 Huskies squad. With WSU's 4 Texas kids (3 JuCo and 1 that grew up in Germany), the entire PacNW shares 15 Texas recruits (including redshirts), and that's mostly weighted due to the appeal of playing for Oregon.

dorkfish
09-20-2011, 08:56 AM
Our teams are going to be fucked, Brad.
Yours less than mine. I can see Boise State eventually being part of the Big Tweast, somehow.

With the exception of West Viriginia, this seems pretty likely to happen:

Baylor
Iowa State
Boise State
TCU
Kansas
Kansas State
Louisville
South Florida
Connecticut
Cincinnati
West Virginia

If they wanted to get up to 16 teams (which would make no sense), I could see them throwing a lot of power and money to BYU.

Filler teams would be chosen from:
Fresno State
University of Nevada
UNLV
San Diego State
Colorado State
University of Hawai'i
Rice
Houston
SMU

TomAz
09-20-2011, 10:30 AM
I think UConn is eyeing the ACC now too.

TomAz
09-20-2011, 10:34 AM
The Pac-12 is pushing for Texas to allow the conference creative control over certain portions of the Longhorn Network (i.e. Pac16 presents Longhorn Network)

actually, my understanding is that this is what Texas proposed to the Pac 12. The Pac 12 has yet to agree.

TomAz
09-20-2011, 10:37 AM
Also, the Pac 12 should keep in mind that Texas has essentially destroyed two different athletic conferences in the past 17 years.

fiyahhh!
09-20-2011, 08:15 PM
The PAC-12 will not be expanding. (taken from the press release)

WALNUT CREEK, Calif.-- In light of the widespread speculation about potential scenarios for Conference re-alignment, the Pac-12 Presidents and Chancellors have affirmed their decision to remain a 12-team conference. Pac-12 Commissioner Larry Scott said, “after careful review we have determined that it is in the best interests of our member institutions, student-athletes and fans to remain a 12-team conference. While we have great respect for all of the institutions that have contacted us, and certain expansion proposals were financially attractive, we have a strong conference structure and culture of equality that we are committed to preserve. With new landmark TV agreements and plans to launch our innovative television networks, we are going to focus solely on these great assets, our strong heritage and the bright future in front of us.””

fikus222
09-20-2011, 08:42 PM
Good.

Gribbz
09-20-2011, 08:46 PM
Good.

Agreed. 12 is enough.

chunk
09-21-2011, 12:20 PM
False alarm again. For now.

My dream scenario would have 12 ten team conferences. Or ten 12 team conferences with all or none playing a championship game.

Vasoline Groove
09-21-2011, 02:24 PM
Agreed. 12 is enough.

You guys could do worse than adding Oklahoma and Texas to your conference.

When the SEC takes Texas A&M and Mizzou, the Big 12 is probably going to crumble. If Texas and Oklahoma end up in the Big 10 or ACC (fucking crazy), then the Pac 12 might end up scrambling and taking Kansas and Kansas state. Not nearly as good as Texas and Oklahoma.

suprefan
09-21-2011, 02:27 PM
You guys could do worse than adding Oklahoma and Texas to your conference.

When the SEC takes Texas A&M and Mizzou, the Big 12 is probably going to crumble. If Texas and Oklahoma end up in the Big 10 or ACC (fucking crazy), then the Pac 12 might end up scrambling and taking Kansas and Kansas state. Not nearly as good as Texas and Oklahoma.

I think getting a school from the ACC is what the SEC is looking into whenever Texas A & M gets over there. Then again the big East has some work to do with Pitt and syracuse leaving. I'm sure TCU wished they waited an extra year to leave the Mountain West and they couldve filled the spot Colorado left.

Vasoline Groove
09-21-2011, 03:40 PM
I think getting a school from the ACC is what the SEC is looking into whenever Texas A & M gets over there. Then again the big East has some work to do with Pitt and syracuse leaving. I'm sure TCU wished they waited an extra year to leave the Mountain West and they couldve filled the spot Colorado left.

Yeah, TCU is getting royally fucked. Just when they thought they were heading in the right direction.

But I'm pretty sure there are no ACC teams coming over to the SEC. They are all gonna be blocked. Florida is going to block FSU and Miami, UGA is going to block GTech, USC is going to block Clemson. The big schools in each state are not going to want to the little sister school coming into their conference and having the ability to recruit better and share bigger revenues. The only option would be VaTech, but I dont think they are going to leave UVA.

TomAz
09-21-2011, 04:08 PM
But I'm pretty sure there are no ACC teams coming over to the SEC. They are all gonna be blocked. Florida is going to block FSU and Miami, UGA is going to block GTech, USC is going to block Clemson. The big schools in each state are not going to want to the little sister school coming into their conference and having the ability to recruit better and share bigger revenues. The only option would be VaTech, but I dont think they are going to leave UVA.

I think this is exactly right, and I think it's the only real reason they're considering Missouri instead.

suprefan
09-21-2011, 05:56 PM
So Missouri ends up being a toss up on east or west, sorta like Arkansas in relation to location.

Yeah, TCU is getting royally fucked. Just when they thought they were heading in the right direction.

Va Tech seemed lik the most ideal choice for them. And they still get to play UVA, so thats not the problem.

Vasoline Groove
09-21-2011, 09:57 PM
So Missouri ends up being a toss up on east or west, sorta like Arkansas in relation to location.

Va Tech seemed lik the most ideal choice for them. And they still get to play UVA, so thats not the problem.

VaTech arent going to move because UVA had to pull too many strings to get them in the ACC and now they feel obligated to stay. At least thats what I've heard.

Mizzou adds the KC and St. Louis markets to the SEC which is important and even though people think the SEC schools are bad, they actually do have standards and Mizzou is one of 34 public universities to be members of the Association of American Universities (Vandy and Florida are also members and six of the Cal schools). Which is the main reason that WVU is not in play.

I do agree Va Tech seems like a good fit. They are a good academic school and would add the DC market to the SEC. But theres just too much politics involved.

hawkingvsreeve
09-21-2011, 11:37 PM
No school will be moving out of the ACC. They raised the fee to leave the conference to 20 million. If the SEC wants another team they will look elsewhere.

TallGuyCM
09-24-2011, 07:56 PM
Come onnnnnnnn Trojans! :/

fikus222
09-25-2011, 01:31 AM
Today, UW took Cal for the 3rd year in a row. I'm really digging Keith Price's abilities as QB. So long as UWs defense can get their act together, they should fare well this year. [Possibly an 8-4 year]

fikus222
09-25-2011, 01:46 AM
Come onnnnnnnn Trojans! :/

Sun Devils FTW!

Damn, the Wildcats have had a rough start this year.

biggfoot17
09-25-2011, 08:30 AM
The USC loss will shut up all my friends who lived by the thought that this season isn't pointless cause they could still "wint the AP championship."

Vasoline Groove
09-25-2011, 09:10 AM
Florida v. Bama is probably going to be the game of the week this week.

Next saturday is going to be pretty crazy for me with Hardly Strictly Bluegrass fest into Gator game into Amon Tobin and Eskmo at night. I got to remember pacing or I'm going to be done by the end of the game.

suprefan
09-25-2011, 12:09 PM
Florida v. Bama is probably going to be the game of the week this week.

Next saturday is going to be pretty crazy for me with Hardly Strictly Bluegrass fest into Gator game into Amon Tobin and Eskmo at night. I got to remember pacing or I'm going to be done by the end of the game.

Wisconsin vs Nebraska too. And thats the prime time night game.

Vasoline Groove
09-25-2011, 12:39 PM
Wisconsin vs Nebraska too. And thats the prime time night game.

Yeah, thats in the running for a biggest game of the week. And it looks like Gameday is going to be in Madison.

BAMA/UF is also a night game 8:00 pm eastern. Muschamp vs his mentor (Saban) should be interesting.

I just noticed that LSU is #1 in the AP poll but #3 in the Coaches. Personally, I think they should be #1 due to the teams they beat but it will all play out on the field.

TomAz
09-26-2011, 08:37 AM
My team might suck, but we have a cool band.

When the MOB Takes the Field, Stodginess Scatters
By JASON COHEN

In a season that has been focused more on conference realignment than the game itself, college football’s best take on the chaos came from Rice University’s band during the Owls’ Sept. 3 game at the University of Texas.

The Rice MOB (which stands for Marching Owl Band, even though the band’s Web site notes that they “don’t march. Ever.”) took the field of Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium at halftime and spelled out “SEC,” a reference to Texas A&M’s plan to leave U.T. and the Big 12 for the Southeastern Conference — or, as the MOB announcer, William R. Price, read from the student-written script, “Satan’s Evil Conference.”

Quickly, the formation changed to “$EC,” as concise a critique of the college football universe as anyone could ask for.

Further flaunting Rice’s status as chief smart aleck of all the former Southwest Conference schools, Mr. Price topped that with a perfect Aggie joke: “We congratulate the S.E.C. and the Big 12, as both conferences improve their average IQ.”

All in a normal six minutes’ work for the Rice MOB, which is celebrating its 40th anniversary this year. With its Blues Brothers-inspired uniforms and nonmusician “show assistants” building props and taking part in skits, the MOB is as much about performance art as playing “Louie Louie,” the band’s signature song.

The MOB is one of less than a dozen prominent football “scatter” bands that “scatter” into formation. The groups generally thrive at smaller, brainy schools where football doesn’t dominate the campus (or, sadly, the other team), and their performances are fertile ground for nerdy, joke-filled halftime-show aggression. Naturally, that includes most Ivy League schools, as well as Stanford University’s squad.

The MOB is not known for getting itself in trouble quite as often as the Cardinal’s pranksters, but it has had its moments. After 1973’s “Halftime of Infamy,” the band hid in their own stadium for hours from a crowd of Aggies who had been angered by the MOB’s goose-stepping imitation of the Corps and mockery of Reveille.

More recently, the band took aim at Todd Graham, the Rice football coach who ditched the school in January 2007 after just one season for the University of Tulsa, a Conference USA rival. (Mr. Graham had been Tulsa’s defensive coordinator.)

The MOB, which brainstorms ideas on an e-mail list and holds weekly meetings that resemble a “Saturday Night Live” writer’s room, had 11 months to think about the way they’d greet him.

“The entire Rice community was expecting its feelings to be expressed, and they were expecting the band to do it,” said Chuck Throckmorton, who is in his ninth year as the band’s director.

What they got was “Todd Graham’s Inferno,” in which the MOB searched through the various circles of hell for the former coach. “We knew he wasn’t in Limbo (since he had no spine),” went one line. The final circle was, of course, Tulsa.

All was in good fun until the “walk-off line,” which called Mr. Graham by a certain feminine-hygiene-inspired slang term for “jerk.” That inspired a formal complaint by Tulsa’s athletic director.

“We don’t aim to get complaints,” said Greg Narro, the band’s drum minor. “We aim to entertain.” (The Graham show was one year before Mr. Narro entered Rice.)

Where more formal marching bands deliver a nostalgic experience for older generations of alumni, the MOB feels like it is for, as well as by, the students. Because Rice doesn’t have a music education program, Mr. Throckmorton doesn’t have to worry about training future band directors or high school music teachers. His students are more likely to be rocket scientists.

That also means anything goes musically. Songs like Monty Python’s “Always Look on the Bright Side of Life” and “Because, It’s Midnite” (from the pioneering Internet humor Web site Homestar Runner) are staples. Asked about the band’s most unusual instrument, Ollie Barthelemy, the drum major, replied, “We have an accordion section.”

Three accordions, to be precise. Cellos, violins, guitars and synthesizers also regularly appear, while a former MOBster once invented something called the udderbot, which involves a sawed-off glass bottle, water and a rubber glove. A theremin is also in the works.

“If you showed up with a kazoo, you can play with the band,” Mr. Narro said. Many nonmusicians do. “We play the kazoo all the time,” added Katherine Humphreys, a show assistant. “It’s fantastic!”

Which is why the MOB has grown bigger than ever. Mr. Throckmorton used to say the band was 60 to 120 people — members come and go, with flexible rehearsal schedules to accommodate the average busy, overachieving Rice student — but lately it has consistently stayed above 100.

“We’re growing,” Mr. Throckmorton said. “It’s fun. We can almost spell four-letter words now.”

And at a time when college football seems less and less about the fans and students, and more and more about acronyms like B.C.S. and $EC, perhaps the sport could use a few of those.

fikus222
10-01-2011, 05:58 PM
The Huskies just manhandled Utah.

C DUB YA
10-01-2011, 07:14 PM
Badgers look good.

Neighborhood Creep
10-01-2011, 07:19 PM
Badgers look good.

I figured they'd win, but not by this much.

fikus222
10-01-2011, 09:51 PM
Stanford stomped UCLA for the third straight year.

Nice win by the Sun Devils.

cutterbutter
10-01-2011, 10:15 PM
Ugh Ucla...

fikus222
10-06-2011, 06:57 PM
Once again, Cal is making things interesting for Oregon.

discobotica
10-06-2011, 08:34 PM
^ that didn't last long.......GO DUCKS!

Edit: RIP LaMichael's arm

fikus222
10-06-2011, 10:47 PM
Yeah, the second half was terrible. Let's hope LaMichael's injury isn't as bad as it looked.

suprefan
10-06-2011, 10:47 PM
^ that didn't last long.......GO DUCKS!

Edit: RIP LaMichael's arm

There goes that heisman.

Miroir Noir
10-07-2011, 08:27 AM
Flying out to South Bend this afternoon!

biggfoot17
10-07-2011, 01:01 PM
Looks like the Big 12 is doing what it can to survive. They should have better luck than the Big East though

Premium Roast
10-08-2011, 07:13 AM
Georgia's comeback tour continues today at Tennessee 4pm PST ESPN2. What happened to the Vols? Oh yeah, they fired an icon in Phillip Fulmer and hired the snot nosed ahole Lane Kiffin who almost immediately left them high & dry, thus settin em back years needing to recover from complete disarray. Part of the beauty of SEC games is seeing a Fulmer, Spurrier, or a Bear Bryant on the sidelines. They gaffed on that one, not that I really care. Go Dawgs.

chunk
10-08-2011, 08:50 AM
Big MWC game tonight between TCU/SDSU. Cmon Aztecs. Please.

biggfoot17
10-08-2011, 12:07 PM
Ya, TCU's season is already fucked with. I'd much rather see SDSU win. Also, would be great if Air Force took out ND today.

kreutz2112
10-08-2011, 12:33 PM
Can anyone help me find a stream of the ASU UofU game? I am just using google and everything is bullshit.

fikus222
10-09-2011, 12:49 AM
I watched the ASU game on the Comcast Sports Network Bay Area channel. Maybe you can find it with that info.

Overall, I'm happy with the teams who won in the Pac-12 today.

Poor U of A and WSU...

knytt
10-09-2011, 11:24 AM
Poor Brehaut.. I was sure we were fucked.

discobotica
10-11-2011, 08:29 PM
There goes that heisman.

you and I both know the Heisman is Andrew Luck's regardless........LMJ would have to rush for at least 2500 yards this season to get seriously considered.......ESPN sucks Luck's cock constantly, I'm sure this will in turn induce the voters to want sloppy seconds

fikus222
10-11-2011, 09:40 PM
I'm behind Stanford one hundred per. However, I'll be at the UW v. Stanford game and a win by the Huskies would be the motherloving upset of my century.

weeklymix
10-11-2011, 10:09 PM
you and I both know the Heisman is Andrew Luck's regardless........LMJ would have to rush for at least 2500 yards this season to get seriously considered.......ESPN sucks Luck's cock constantly, I'm sure this will in turn induce the voters to want sloppy seconds

Everyone realizes LaMichael didn't break anything right? He missed the first game of last season and still finished in the top 3 of Heisman voting. He's rushed for 200 yds in 3 consecutive games, allowing him to at least miss a week with no real penalty to his total yards for the season.