PDA

View Full Version : Arcade Fire impressive chart position.

windscreen
03-15-2007, 03:07 AM
I know I know, most of us here on these boards know these reflect nothing on the quality of a band however I find it very impressive that a relatively 'underground' band with little to no airplay (at least here in Atlanta) has their second album debut at #2 on the Billboard 200 charts this week selling 92,000 copies.
This could be both good and bad...good in the sense that folks are waking up to what they are being forcefed and actually looking for good new music.
Bad...well we all know some people jump on the bandwagon when they hear of the latest "hot topic" and just want to name drop and such.

oops, here's a link to the story
http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/page/news/Arcade_Fires_Neon_Bible_Debuts_at_2#41729

braundiggity
03-16-2007, 01:02 AM
yeah, I love both this and the shins' new album debuting at #2 (shins broke 100,000, I think).

and yet the radio STILL doesn't care. it's kind of remarkable. usually albums sell (or at least debut) well thanks to heavy radio play. here, there's no radio play with great sales.

suprefan
03-16-2007, 01:18 AM
This is good, but still bad in terms of album sales. Sales are down %16 so far this year which is just pathetic. Most of the sales of Neoon Bible were digital which goes to shows kids are not going to a record store(or even best buy for that matter) and buying the real thing... Anyone right now could sell 100k and be # 1 thats just sad...

Alchemy
03-16-2007, 08:03 AM
This lack of album buying seems to cut down the price of the real thing. I bought the deluxe Neon Bible at Best Buy for like 11 dollars. The new Air album was like 10 dollars.