PDA

View Full Version : In Depth Review of Fujiya and Miyagi

bmack86
03-15-2007, 12:44 AM
I just got back from Fujiya and Miyagi. They played at Spaceland, and it was my first time at the venue. I can already tell that it was the start of a beautiful relationship; the venue had a really cozy feel to it, and the sound was perfect for these guys. I showed up about 15 minutes before they were going to go on (my friends were really late to pick me up, so we missed the openers). There was a Korg, a drum machine, an old analog keyboard, a guitar with one effect pedal and a bass on stage. They came out and opened with Ankle Injuries. At first, they seemed a bit hesitant to really lay into the groove, but by the end of the song, they found it, and carried it thru the rest of the set. They played all of Transparent Things, with the exception of Conductor 71, as well as two b-sides and three songs off the first album. Cassettesingle, in particular, was fantastic; it's an instrumental track featuring the analog synth, and it sounded like what i would imagine a NEU! show in '77 being like. They locked into a killer Krautrock groove and riffed on it. Suffice to say, it made me dance. They closed the regular set with Collarbone, the "hit" single, and they absolutely killed. That song has a great bassline, and they drove it to the foreground. The crowd was really into it, and the band responded in kind. If you have a chance to see these guys (they're heading to SXSW tomorrow, and they'll play in New York in a few days) I would urge you to. Also, talk to them afterwards. It's their first time in the states, and they were extremely friendly and excited to see so many fans.

smokealotapotamus
03-15-2007, 11:44 AM
I think KEXP is going to air some of their performance. www.kexp.org they're doing a lot of bands at SXSW, and save the recordings for a day or two in case you missed something.

http://www.kexp.org/events/sxsw.asp

looks like Peter Bjorn and John at 1:45 and Fujiya and Miyagi later this afternoon.

bmack86
03-15-2007, 11:57 AM
thanks. I wanna try to capture the stream (unless it's MP3) so I can have a live recording of Cassettesingle.

smokealotapotamus
03-15-2007, 12:06 PM
sure thing

invisiblerobots
03-15-2007, 12:07 PM
http://www.lenoci.org/megafono/06/imgs/08/Miyagi.jpg