PDA

View Full Version : 10 Most Influential Albums

luckyface
03-14-2007, 07:00 PM
What would you say are the ten most influential albums on your life? You can interpret influential in a number of ways: the 10 albums that shaped your current musical tastes, the 10 albums that you consider most important to your life from a meaning standpoint, etc. You can explain why in detail if you would like, as well.

With that said, what are they? I'll post mine in a little when I give it more thought, but I wanted to get the ball rolling.

All That I Am
03-14-2007, 07:21 PM
My ten (in no particular order)
Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral
Interpol - Turn on the Bright Lights
And You Will Know Us By The Trail of The Dead - Source Tags and Codes
The Cure - Disintegration
Radiohead - OK Computer
Tricky - Maxinquaye
Portishead - Dummy
DJ Shadow - Endtroducing
Jeff Buckley - Grace
Bill Hicks - Rant In E-Minor

kreutz2112
03-14-2007, 07:22 PM
What ever the fork tells me.

bmack86
03-14-2007, 07:34 PM
I'll do a preliminary list, with updates as i think about it more.

1.Velvet Underground-Velvet Underground and Nico (Got the album at the height of my punk phase, it opened me up to dissonant noise, folky sounds and all sorts of different styles that I hadn't really listened to prior to that)

2.Minor Threat-Complete Discography (The album that changed me from a music listener to a music obsessive. I heard this and started searching for anything else that could sound similar. Because of this, I got into Black Flag, The Germs, Fugazi, most punk, and, through that, all other music)

3.Belle and Sebastian-If You're Feeling Sinister (My first Indie crush. I'd heard Pavement before, but Belle and Sebastian connected with me more. I still love this album and listen to it constantly)

4.The Beatles-Revolver (The first Beatles album I got, in 2000. The genetics of most pop music now, and it still sounds so awesome. I listen for Beatles-style stuff in just about everything now, because they're so ingrained in my listening)

5.Can-Tago Mago (Took me to outer space. I bought the album because I liked NEU! and Allmusic.com recommended Can. I put it on while going to a Libertines concert, and I wound up driving for half an hour more than necessary so as to hear the whole thing. After that, music burst wide open for me.)

6.My Bloody Valentine-Loveless (Christened all my new stereo systems, the new speakers in my car and my new headphones. When I first got the album, I listened to it three times in a row while working out. It's been a constant companion since. The noise is so beautiful)

7.Peter Gabriel-So (I loved this album as a little guy; my dad listened to it constantly when I was around 5 years old. These songs are so built into me that I can't not like them. It reminds me of childhood, and it sounds so damn good still)

8.Boredoms-Super Roots 7 (The most spiritual piece of music that I've heard. It's the sound of Boredoms coming out from their punk destruction, shooting for the stars, and winding up in the sun. It burns, it grooves and it reaches a blissful peak that leaves me with tears in my eyes every time.)

9.Olivia Tremor Control-Black Foliage:Animation Music (Pop music with grand experiments in it. I heard them first my freshman year, when Potvsktl recommended them on this board. I've listened to this album five times this week, and their live show was a revelation for me.)

10.Radiohead-Kid A (The first Radiohead album I bought, on the day it came out. I didn't like anything with an electronic sound; I was definitely a rockist. This album broke me from that narrow point of view. And, Everything in Its Right Place=Sheer Brilliance)

Quite a bit of the music i really love, especially soul and electronic, works best as singles, so they don't fit into an albums list.
Honorable mentions
The Replacements-Let it Be
Neutral Milk Hotel-In the Aeroplane Over the Sea
Slint-Spiderland
Mogwai-Young Team
Modest Mouse-The Lonesome Crowded West
R.E.M.-Automatic For the People

Mr.Nipples
03-14-2007, 07:39 PM
Black Flag-The first 4 years//Reason I started playing guitar.

Black Flag-Damaged//Reason I started to not give a shit how i sounded on the guitar.

Television-Marquee Moon// one of the most underated albums of all time

Sonic Youth-Daydream Nation//Just bled cool.My first taste of 'indie' music.

The Locusts-Safety second,body last//A test in listener tolerance.

Squarepusher-Feed me weird things//A friend left this at my house after a party and after one listen, i went out and bought a boss dr.660 drum machine. inspired me to take my music in a different direction.

Bob Marley and the Wailers-Legend//pretty much the soundtrack to my high school years.

Public Enemy-It takes a nation of millions to hold us back//greatest hip-hop record ever recorded.

Minor Threat-The complete discography//I just cant say enough about this record...its the standard.

Rage Against the Machine-Evil Empire//First album i ever bought back in 1996. bought it 6 times after my parents kept on taking it away. the least 'rap rock' album rage has made.

bballarl
03-14-2007, 07:44 PM
No real order.

1. The Strokes - Is This It (Totally changed my life. Opened me up to so many new bands...it was a total gateway drug.)

2. My Bloody Valentine - Loveless (I think it's the greatest pure sonic acheivement ever. Better than Sgt. Pepper's. Better than Pet Sounds. This record is unreal.)

3. The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses (I can't get sick of it. And I'm still trying to figure out and steal all of the little Squire guitar hooks.)

4. The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds (Gorgeous.)

5. Oasis - Definitely Maybe (I wish I could write pop songs like this.)

6. Oasis - What's The Story (Morning Glory) (See above)

7. The White Stripes - White Blood Cells (see Is This It, though to a lesser extent)

8. The White Stripes - Elephant (Their best record.)

9. Ride - Nowhere (Second only to Loveless in terms of shoegaze. But it's so much more than that.)

10. Primal Scream - Screamadelica (Sums up a time I didn't really get to experience like those who were part of it, but also makes so much sense.)

betao
03-14-2007, 07:47 PM
I dont think I can say 10 that are important, but here are my favorites.

Prodigy - The Fat of the Land
This is probably my favorite album ever. I'm a huge dance/electronic fan, and before that I was into underground rap/reggae. I decided to buy this CD, I only wanted a few songs from it. But I was so captivated by the sound that I had to go out and by more. So I can honestly say that this album converted me into a "techno" fan, and opened my mind to electronic music everywhere.

Ulrich Schnauss - A Strangely Isolated Place
This album has helped me so much. It has gotten me through very rough times, and I dont know where I would be without it. Songs like "Blumenthal", "A Letter From Home", and "In All the Wrong Places" are just too good.. I can literally close my eyes and listen to them, and for a few minutes, all of my problems will just go away. I reccommend everyone find this CD before they die.

Mos Def - Black on Both Sides
I was always first into hip-hop/rap, and Mos Def was my favorite. I liked nearly every song I had by him. This CD goes down as my favorite hip-hop/rap CD ever.

Plaid - Restproof Clockwork
This CD takes my mind to different places whenever I listen to it. These guys better come to DC on their current US tour.

some honorable mentions include
RATM - self titled
Mos Def/Talib Kweli - Black Star
Bob Marley - Legend (need I say more?)

There are more out there, but those are the best right now.

Tylerdurden31
03-14-2007, 07:55 PM
1. Dismemberment Plan - Emergency & I: I ran into this album at a shitty time in my life and I completely identified with almost every lyric on it. The essential album for a quarter-life crisis.

2. Stone Temple Pilots - Core: The first rock CD I ever bought with my own money.

3. ...And You Will Know Us By the Trail of Dead - Source Tags & Codes: This album was chaos perfected. It's pop, it's rock, it's almost classical at times. So sad to see how they've turned out.

4. Mogwai - Young Team: This album showed me emotion doesn't need to be explained through vocals. Mogwai Fear Satan was the first song I heard by them. I was completely mesmerized by it. I listened to it constantly in college.

5. Cujo - Adventures In Foam: The first electronic album I bought that didn't suck ass in retrospect. Amon Tobin is an absolutely incredible and innovative musician. The shit he did with this album was absolutely insane.

6. Radiohead - OK Computer: Every single song on this album is perfect in it's own right. Airbag is one of my favorite drum tracks and Phil Selway doesn't get enough credit.

7. Fugazi - 13 Songs: My brother got me into Fugazi. This...THIS was true punk. Social message while still kicking ass. Guy Picciotto and Ian MacKaye are the best guitar duo I've heard.

8. Jawbox - For Your Own Special Sweetheart: Beautiful anger. Raw emotion. Incredible musicianship with tons of noise. Zach Barocas to this day remains one of my top 3 drummers of all time.

9. Death to The Pixies: I only started listening to the Pixies in college. I started with the best of. I was listening saying "they sound like nirvana, they sound like modest mouse, they sound like (enter 50 other bands here)." Then instantly I realized...all these bands sound like them. And this is the moment I started looking for bands that influenced my modern favorites.

10. Soundgarden - Down on the Upside: Commercially shitty, Critically amazing. Chris Cornell used to be my favorite singer. Matt Cameron is still one of my favorite drummers. The album is musically perfect. It was apparently too out there for mainstream rock though.

luckyface
03-14-2007, 07:56 PM
Here's my 10 most influential albums from a musical taste perspective, in chronological order. I am sure I am missing a few that I will want to add later, so this is somewhat temporary. Basically, these albums all shaped my current taste in music and helped introduce me to new types of music.

1. Pearl Jam - Vs.
2. Smashing Pumpkins - Adore
3. Radiohead - OK Computer
4. UNKLE - Psyence Fiction
5. Groove Armada - Vertigo
6. Dntel - Life is Full of Possibilities
7. Tortoise - TNT
8. Mogwai - Happy Songs for Happy People
9. Interpol - Turn on the Bright Lights
10. Manual - Until Tomorrow

I have to give shout outs to these as well: Boards of Canada - Geogaddi, Tristeza - Espuma, Explosions in the Sky - The Earth is Not A Cold Dead Place

luckyface
03-14-2007, 07:59 PM
Ulrich Schnauss - A Strangely Isolated Place
This album has helped me so much. It has gotten me through very rough times, and I dont know where I would be without it. Songs like "Blumenthal", "A Letter From Home", and "In All the Wrong Places" are just too good.. I can literally close my eyes and listen to them, and for a few minutes, all of my problems will just go away. I reccommend everyone find this CD before they die.

EXCELLENT album! I can't wait for his new CD to drop this year. He is brilliant!

dontfeedthebird
03-14-2007, 08:06 PM
Portsihead - Dummy
Massive Attack - Blue Lines
AIR - Moon Safari
Radiohead - Kid A
Madonna - Erotica
Depeche Mode - Violator
Bjork - Homogenic
Snoop Dogg - Doggystyle
Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
Prince - The Hits 2

Popcynical
03-14-2007, 08:13 PM
In order.

1. Band of Gypsies (Hendrix) - Band of Gypsies
My first favorite album and my current favorite album. To me, this CD contains the greatest guitar playing of all time.

2. Nirvana - Nirvana
I can honestly say I've listened to this album more than any other album in my life. This was my first Nirvana CD and it sent me on a 2 year kick of pretty much listening to Nirvana exclusively.

3. Sublime - Sublime
My first Sublime album. Steered the way into a more reggae/rock style of music that I enjoy a lot today. (Odd that all of the albums are self titled so far.)

4. Pixies - Doolittle
I was turned on to this CD after a mate of mine recommended it because I liked Nirvana so much. The Pixies are now one of my all time favorite bands...

5. The Doors - The Doors
My first CD of my favorite band of all time. Pretty much turned me on to reading some biographies of Jim Morrison, who's behavior I mimic a lot. Lots of times on purpose.

6. Bob Marley & the Wailers - Legend
7.Pink Floyd - The Dark Side of the Moon
8. Slightly Stoopid - Acoustic Roots
9. Misfits - Static Age
10. AFI - The Art of Drowning

dorkfish
03-14-2007, 08:28 PM
8. Slightly Stoopid - Acoustic Roots

those guys used to be so great. Acoustic Roots was their peak. I saw them play an acoustic set in an alley in Fresno when they were first pushing that album. Their show had been cancelled so they decided to play a few songs in the alley, which grew into a 90 minute set.

then they changed. they changed for the worst.

mountmccabe
03-14-2007, 08:34 PM
In the order I started to listen to them:

01. The Beatles - the White Album. My dad played this a lot. It's varied and wild. So many good songs.

02. Bon Jovi - New Jersey. Yeah, whatevs. One of the first new albums I bought myself; I remember when they premiered "Bad Medicine" on 98.

03. Petra - This Means War. They are a Christian hard rock band. Shut the fuck up. I loved this album. And that, really, was what I learned. I didn't give a shit what you thought about my music, I didn't care if my friends made fun of me for listening to something, I liked it so I was gonna listen.

04. Pearl Jam - Ten. I was not real into "Jeremy" or "Black" but then I saw the MTV Unplugged performance which included "Porch." I figured that if they could pull that much energy playing acoustics... so yeah. I finally bought on and have been a big fan ever since. This marked a bit of a shift towards more aggressive music for me.

05. The 77s - Pray Naked. My sister brought this home from college. They were a Christian alternative band. The Christian alternative scene is very small and you really have to search to find stuff by many artists. And the 77s were my gateway into the Choir and the Prayer Chain and such.

06. Spacemen 3 - Taking Drugs To Make Music To Take Drugs To. I was recommended them by somebody in a small Christian noise band I liked via a usenet group. I got Honey's Dead around the same time (I forget which was first) so that might have to share this spot. Both albums just blew me away.

07. Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea. A guy I worked with had like 5 albums he brought in. This, Lonesome Crowded West, ...Endtroducing, At Folsom Prison and Fear of Music (I think). I kept asking who NMH was when he played that so he basically made me borrow it and I listened on my own and I kinda died.

08. Angelica - The End of a Beautiful Career. My friend saw them open for Katastrophy Wife in London. He bought everything they'd released (this EP plus a couple singles.) He brought this back and I loved it. He said hmm if you like this you might dig some Bikini Kill and Sleater-Kinney and... yeah, it was a great EP and it led me down some great roads.

09. Kathleen Edwards - Back To Me. I was trying to decide which I heard first; this or Summerteeth. I think it was this. I found out about her and saw her live within about a week in June 2005. This kinda opened my eyes to the idea that I could like country.

10. Aesop Rock - Labor Days. My rap catalog didn't go much beyond PE before this. I liked PE but they never led me to anybody. I didn't know how to hear rap I liked. I had friends that liked Snoop and Ice-T but that wasn't it. Labor Days was revelatory. I am way looking forward to Busdriver and the Coup and the Roots at this year's Coachella because I heard this album.

I'm thinking a couple years from now I'd have to push out something 2-4 to make room for some extreme metal (say Wolverine Blues) or experimental noise (Vision Creation Newsun) but we'll see.

I also feel bad that I didn't have any room for any old time blues, jazz or EDM but none of my listenings there are as extensive.

And I totes ignored anything like classical/orchestra music. That, I think, though, could warrant its own list.

dontfeedthebird
03-14-2007, 08:37 PM
Petra - Praise!

vicorintian
03-14-2007, 08:49 PM
in no particular order:

-Fiona Apple -Tidal: Loved that album, heard it day and night during my second year of university.

-Fleetwood Mac -Rumours: when i was little i couldnt listen to other music than what my parents played. so when i decided "if you cant beat them.." this was the best i could find.

-Interpol - Turn on the bright Lights: really one of the first albums to catch the indy vibe for me.

-Nirvana -unplugged: got a little late on the grunge wagon, but this concert was a must back in highschool.

-Cafe Tacuba -Re: also back in school, this was (and perhaps still is) the spanish rock album to own.

-Sex Pistols: nevermind the bullocks: this was the it album back when i was still trying to find myself musically, my punk years (or months)

-Yeah yeah yeahs -Fever to Tell: punk for my adult self.

-Radiohead -Ok Computer: electronic beats mixed with brit rock and who knows what else. who could resist?

-U2 -Zooropa: the first U2 album i heard. not the best but the must influential.

-Daft Punk -Discovery:the best electronic album i ve heard, at least to my taste. very pop.

thinnerair
03-14-2007, 09:17 PM
No particular order....well, maybe a little bit.

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
Hands down, my favorite record of all time. Perfection from beginning to end. Regardless of the technological limitations that they had at the time, they achieved perfection with this record. Its spacey and intense and catchy and moody and beautiful and dark all in one record. Incredible

Hum - Downward is Heavenward
Easily one of the best records to come out in the 90s. 1998 was a year that I discovered some great music that would change my taste in music forever. This album is absolutely incredible as well. The guitars on here are layered incredibly and when "Afternoon with the Axolots" kicks in, it is the heaviest moodiest vibe ever caught on record. It's a shame that they broke up after this record. This is a fucking masterpiece.

Deftones - Around the Fur
This record is one of the most incredible energies ever. It has an intensity and packed with such emotion. Its fucking ferocious. They'll never be this good.

Portishead - Live at Roseland
This is what a band should pull off live all of the time. Discovered during a very dark phase of my life, it got me through some tough times and all the while, it made me more mad at myself because I could have been at that show. I discovered this record after coming across a live version of "Glory Box" performed by Faith No More and I thought it was one of the saddest songs I had ever heard. It made me feel like such shit, that I had to keep listening to it over and over again. The same way Sigur Ros ruins my day, but I ll still listen to them all the time.

Metallica - Master of Puppets
Cliff Burton is a fucking genius. I read somewhere about how had he lived, he would have been considered the Jimi Hendrix of bass. I almost believe that.
Orion is a sonic gem. This album proved that metal could have melody and emotion.

Esthero - Breath From Another
This record kicked my ass. The various styles merged into this one record blew me away. Its beautiful.

Mobb Deep - The Infamous
Excellent beats and great lyrics. It was gritty and raw, but put together so well, with few cheesy gunshot interludes and shit talking. Also, the collabs on this record with Raekwon and Nas are just bangin'

Radiohead - OK Computer
A classic. While there are one or two songs on this record that Im not floored by, the rest of the album makes up for it. "Let Down" is one of the best songs ever laid on tape.

Quicksand - Slip
This record is so raw and beautiful. It's early 90s post hardcore and captured the sound of a band rooted deeply in New York Hardcore but with a greater vision. Walter Schrieffel's voice fits this record perfectly. Everything just fits perfectly and I can listen to this record front to back over and over...and I have.

Duran Duran - Rio
I went a few months digging through interviews of some of my favorite bands and noticed that a lot of them cited Duran Duran's earlier stuff as a big influence, primarily vocally. I went and found an old 12" of this album. If you look past the good looks and the yachts and the bubble gum bullshit, this record is solid pop song writing. The dudes can play their asses off and write excellent melodies. Simon LeBon's voice is outstanding on this whole record.

honorable mentions.
Air - Virgin Suicides soundtrack (best soundtrack ever...except for Judgement Night)
Guns n Roses - Appetite for Destruction
Van Halen - 1984
DJ Shadow - Endtroducing
Mogwai - Happy Songs for Happy People
Wu-Tang Clan - Enter the 36 Chambers
Notorious BIG - Ready to Die
Alice in Chains - Jar of Flies
Jeff Buckley - Grace
Led Zeppellin - III
Jimi Hendrix - Are You Experienced?
Santana - Abraxas

PotVsKtl
03-14-2007, 09:18 PM
2. Nirvana - Nirvana
I can honestly say I've listened to this album more than any other album in my life. This was my first Nirvana CD and it sent me on a 2 year kick of pretty much listening to Nirvana exclusively.

Was that produced by Timberland?

mountmccabe
03-14-2007, 09:19 PM
C'mon, kittie, just post your list.

mountmccabe
03-14-2007, 09:19 PM
You know you want to.

PotVsKtl
03-14-2007, 09:27 PM
Screeching Weasel - Anthem For a New Tomorrow
Aphex Twin - RDJ Album
Crass - Christ the Album
Fugazi - Red Medicine
Nirvana - Nevermind
Drive Like Jehu - Drive Like Jehu
Modest Mouse - This is a Long Drive For Someone With Nothing to Think About
Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea
David Bowie - Low
Elvis Costello -This Year's Model

mountmccabe
03-14-2007, 09:28 PM
Thank you kindly.

mountmccabe
03-14-2007, 09:28 PM
Also damn. That's a good list.

boarderwoozel3
03-14-2007, 09:35 PM
The Offspring- Smash

I got this CD when I was 9 or 10 and as they say the rest was histroy. I've been in love with music ever since.

roberto73
03-14-2007, 09:39 PM
U2 - The Joshua Tree: Say what you will about them now, but this album came out when I was in 8th grade and it both rescued me from a life of listening to Bon Jovi and set me on the path to the music I love now.

R.E.M. - Green: Not their best album, but it's the first I ever heard. It made a huge impression. The tour for this album was the first live show I ever saw.

The Smiths - The Queen Is Dead: Growing up in small-town Ohio, Morrissey was so different from anything I thought music could be. It also helped that I was a fairly angsty little guy.

The Cure - Disintegration: I'd never heard rock music so majestic before. When "Plainsong" kicked in for the first time, it knocked me flat on my ass.

Pixies - Doolittle: Most of these "most influential" albums are examples of albums that showed me the range and potential of what music could do. This album - from start to finish - was the strangest, most exciting thing I'd ever heard.

The Clash - London Calling: One of the biggest misconceptions of punk is that it has to be narrow in scope and rudimentary in style. "London Calling" showed me that punk could be angry, but it could also be funky, bluesy, and catchy as hell.

Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation: Who knew great guitar music could sprawl in the way this album does? I sure didn't, at least not when I was 15. "Teen Age Riot" showed me the way.

Joy Division - Closer: The flipside of The Smiths. Where Morrissey showed me the arch, flip, humorous side of depression, Ian Curtis showed me its stark, claustrophobic beauty.

The Wedding Present - Seamonsters: The post-Smiths, only with faster guitars. I don't often toss this phrase around, but they're criminally underrated.

Tindersticks - Debut self-titled: The perfect album for sitting around wearing a smoking jacket and sipping whiskey. Deliciously decadent.

5 Honorable mentions:
Radiohead - OK Computer
Doves - The Last Broadcast
Belle & Sebastian - If You're Feeling Sinister
The Velvet Underground - The Velvet Underground and Nico
Elvis Costello & The Attractions – This Year's Model

AEversW
03-14-2007, 09:46 PM
1. The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds
2. The Velvet Underground - The Velvet Underground & Nico
3. The Pixies - Surfer Rosa
4. Radiohead - Kid A
5. Jeff Buckley - Grace
6. My Bloody Valentine - Loveless
7. Miles Davis - Sketches of Spain
8. Mogwai - Young Team
9. Neutral Milk Hotel - In The Aeroplane Over The Sea
10. New Order - Power, Corruption & Lies

this will probably change. Im sure in few more years Funeral will be on there.

Popcynical
03-14-2007, 09:51 PM
those guys used to be so great. Acoustic Roots was their peak. I saw them play an acoustic set in an alley in Fresno when they were first pushing that album. Their show had been cancelled so they decided to play a few songs in the alley, which grew into a 90 minute set.

then they changed. they changed for the worst.

I dunno. While I do think Acoustic Roots was probably their best album, I still enjoy their new stuff as well. My uncle is good friends with Kyle and Miles, so I've met them a few times too.

Was that produced by Timberland?

I don't think so, as it's their greatest hits album.

PotVsKtl
03-14-2007, 09:57 PM
I didn't even know they had a greatest hits album. Lame.

ThomThom
03-14-2007, 11:18 PM
1) The Beatles - Revolver
2) The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds
3) Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
4) Radiohead - OK Computer
5) Radiohead - Kid A
6) Jeff Buckley - Grace
7) Nirvana - Nevermind
8) Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation
9) Interpol - Turn on the Bright Lights
10) The Strokes - Is This It

Honorable Mention:
Pixies - Doolittle
Pixies - Surfer Rosa
Pearl Jam - Ten
Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness
Bjork - Post
Radiohead - Amnesiac
Sigur Ros - ( )
Portishead - Portishead
Mogwai - Young Team
Arcade Fire - The Funeral
Daft Punk - Homework
Fiona Apple - Tidal
DJ Shadow - Endtroducing
Public Enemy - Fear of a Black Planet
Nas - Illmatic
Dr.Dre - The Chronic
Jay-Z - Reasonable Doubt
Outkast - ATLiens
Raekwon - Only Built 4 Cuban Links

SojuGorae
03-15-2007, 12:52 AM
Explosions In The Sky - The Earth Is Not a Cold Dead Place

Explosions In The Sky - Those Who Tell The Truth Shall Die

R.E.M. - Automatic For The People

Pia - Become Clear (Korean)

Dr. Dre - The Chronic

Green Day - American Idiot

The Roots - Things Fall Apart

Radiohead - OK Computer

Nirvana - Nevermind

Pearl Jam - Ten

menikmati
03-15-2007, 07:21 AM
Off the top of my head

Nirvana - Nevermind
Pixies - Surfer Rosa
Boards of Canada - Music has the right to children
Daft Punk - Homework
Radiohead - OK Computer
Radiohead - Kid A
Tool - Lateralus
Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Fever to tell
Rage Against the Machine - S/T
Orbital - Green Album

menikmati
03-15-2007, 07:23 AM
The Byrds "sweetheart of the rodeo" should also get a mention

mob roulette
03-15-2007, 08:21 AM
off the top of my head:

beatles-abbey road
beatles-revolver
beatles-sgt pepper
nirvana-nevermind
pixies-doolittle
radiohead-ok computer
miles davis-kind of blue
afghan whigs-gentlemen
david bowie-changes one (or whatever the greatest hits collection was called when i was a kid)
sonic youth-daydream nation, followed closely by sister and goo

honorable mentions as follows:

john coltrane-lush life
dinosaur jr-you're living all over me
replacements-let it be
radiohead-kid a
my bloddy valentine-loveless

i'm just going to go ahead and assume that many of us will have at least twenty or so of the same records in common here. which is a good thing. also the byrds are a good call menik. great fucking album. so is beck's sea change.

TomAz
03-15-2007, 09:00 AM
sticking with the strict definition of "influential" -- these are not necessarily the 'best' (though many are)

1. The Clash - London Calling. made me who I am today.

2. Springsteen - Born to Run. what's the aural equivalent of 'beer goggles'? but seriously this was my definition of perfect for a while.

3. Radiohead - OK Computer. woke me up from years of musical sleepwalking.

4. Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited. I can still remember the moment when "How does it feeeeeeeeeeeeeeel" sunk its hooks into me.

5. Bob Marley - Exodus. introduced me to reggae and still the definitive album in my book.

6. Joe Ely - Live Shots. An odd choice to be sure, but this was the first album that opened my ears to the idea that country music could be powerful and not just corny.

7. Talking Heads, Fear of Music. let me tell you some old stories.

8. Elvis Costello - This Year's Model.

9. The Beatles - The White Album. I bought this in high school on white vinyl a very long time ago. I'm still uncovering its genius.

10. REM - Reckoning. in my mind this was sort of the start (well near the start at least) of what you kids call 'indie' today.

hon. mention in the order they occur to me:

The Who, Who's Next
Ramones, Rocket to Russia
several other Dylan albums
several other Costello albums
several other Radiohead albums
Never Mind the Bollocks
Sandinista!
Wilco, Summerteeth
Flaming Lips, Yoshimi
Steve Earle, I Feel Alright
Lucinda Williams, Lucinda Williams
Uncle Tupelo, Anodyne
The Beat Farmers
U2, The Joshua Tree
The Waterboys, Fisherman's Blues
TMBG, Flood
Pretenders
Billy Bragg, Talking With the Taxman about Poetry
Brave Combo, Polkatharsis
Joe Jackson, Look Sharp!
Los Lobos, How Will the Wolf Survive?
Pogues, If I Should Fall From Grace With God

and what the hell, Arcade Fire, Funeral

oh and also, Led Zeppelin IV
and Uriah Heep, The Magician's Birthday
and Elton John, Goodbye Yellow Brick Road

John Peel is My Co-pilot
03-15-2007, 09:51 AM
You're never at your most vulnerable as when your hanging your musical testicles out for everyone to kick, but here goes...

Influential, but in no order.

1. Blondie - Parallel Lines. The first album I bought with my own money (ELO - Out of the Blue, was a Xmas gift!). Still the best example of what a feisty ex-cocktail waitress and 5 snotty new wavers can do with great production.

2. UB40 - Signing Off. Years before they were a soundtrack album cover band, they were angry, political, and as relevant as anything from Jamaica.

3. Depeche Mode - Black Celebration. Not as immediate as Violator, but the moment that dark electronic music became very very important to me.

4. Joy Division - Closer. I discovered that when you feel down as a teenager, you don't reach for the happy button, you reach for Decades or Heart and Soul. Without this album, scores of bands don't have a career today.

5. The Beat - I Just Can't Stop It. 2nd wave ska at it's very best. The Specials got the cool votes, but The (English) Beat made me check out Desmond Dekker, Prince Buster and Trojan Records. For that, they have my gratitude.

6. The Prodigy - Fat of the Land. Simply the best "dance" album ever. Not a bad bar on the entire disc, and the one that I've used for years whenever I test audio equipment. If the speakers can take the bass when it kicks in on "Diesel Power", it's in!

7. Radiohead - The Bends. I've always preferred the boys as a straight up, melody driven indie-rock band, rather than the hit-and-miss electronic noodling they have been guilty of lately. There is no "miss" part on The Bends. Every track is solid gold.

8. Muse - Origin of Symmetry. I never got the whole "2nd coming of Radiohead" bit with Muse. It's lazy journalism. They owe as much to Queen and Sparks as they do to Radiohead, but this album was where they flicked the switch for me. Orchestral and powerful with just MONSTER riffs.

9. Doves - Lost Souls. This album pointed me in a direction that's never disappointed. Elbow, Athlete, South, Turin Brakes, even Coldplay came after this 2000 classic. Another one without a bad bar on it. Explosions in the Sky remind me of some of the tracks here, but without, you know, words and stuff...

10.Kraftwerk - The Man Machine. After buying every punk single I could for 2 years, Kraftwerk turned a 14 year old kid onto the fact that synths could be just as much fun as guitars. Way, way ahead of their time.

Notable omissions:

The Clash - Combat Rock
Culture - Two Sevens Clash
Beach Boys - Pet Sounds
Various Artists - Phil Spector's Wall Of Sound
The Blue Nile - Hats
Aztec Camera - High Land Hard Rain
Beta Band - The 3 EPs
The Stone Roses - Stone Roses
AC/DC - Back In Black
Porcupine Tree - Deadwing

Rap/rock Is Life
03-15-2007, 09:52 AM
1. Insane Clown Posse - The Great Milenko
2. Rage Against The Machine - The Battle of Los Angeles
3. Sublime - Sublime
4. Crazy Town - The Gift of Game
5. Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory
6. Beastie Boys - Ill Communication
7. Insane Clown Posse - The Amazing Jeckel Brothers
8. Slipknot - Iowa
9. Kid Rock - Devil Without a Cause
10. Saliva - Back Into Your System

Tylerdurden31
03-15-2007, 09:54 AM
:laughyou

kimery08
03-15-2007, 09:55 AM
whoa whoa whoa

SojuGorae
03-15-2007, 09:55 AM
1. Insane Clown Posse - The Great Milenko
2. Rage Against The Machine - The Battle of Los Angeles
3. Sublime - Sublime
4. Crazy Town - The Gift of Game
5. Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory
6. Beastie Boys - Ill Communication
7. Insane Clown Posse - The Amazing Jeckel Brothers
8. Slipknot - Iowa
9. Kid Rock - Devil Without a Cause
10. Saliva - Back Into Your System

My first thought was, okay this is a nice little joke, and then I saw Rage and Beastie Boys amongst the feces.

Now I'm confused whether you're for real or being a wiseass.

Tylerdurden31
03-15-2007, 10:00 AM
My first thought was, okay this is a nice little joke, and then I saw Rage and Beastie Boys amongst the feces.

Now I'm confused whether you're for real or being a wiseass.

you did see his name, right?

TomAz
03-15-2007, 10:01 AM
5. The Beat - I Just Can't Stop It. 2nd wave ska at it's very best. The Specials got the cool votes, but The (English) Beat made me check out Desmond Dekker, Prince Buster and Trojan Records. For that, they have my gratitude.

I have championed that album in the past on the old board. It's a really a great record, and far better than the Specials IMO. (I like the Specials but the Beat's debut has just got that edge and intensity).

msklvr
03-15-2007, 10:22 AM
In no particular order

Pink Floyd - The Wall - Great from start to end. It's an experience.

Prince - Purple Rain - Some of the best guitar solos ever. Prince's voice is amazing as well.

Jeff Buckley - Grace - On alot of lists, I think we all just miss him. Someone said that he should do a comeback on this mssg board somewhere and I had to laugh as everyone bitched the person out.

XTC - Skylarking - Beautiful musicianship, as on all their albums. Too bad no one will be seeing them live, ever.

The Beatles - Sgt. Peppers - How much fun it must have been to make that record!

Skinny Puppy - Too Dark Park - IMO The Best industrial album ever made, but so much more. This record takes you to scary places and back.

Radiohead - O.K. Computer - Brilliance

Team Sleep - Just fell in love with ever track.

Sigur Ros - Takk - Always end up playing this album when the blues kick in.

The Cure - Disintigration - Beautiful album.

PsyGuyRy
03-15-2007, 10:26 AM
1. The first three Velvet Undergroud albums
2. Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd
3. All three Stooges albums
4. Kid A / OK Computer - Radiohead
5. Los Angeles - X
6. Hunky Dory - David Bowie
7. Pink Flag - Wire
8. The Doors - The Doors
9. Either/Or - Elliott Smith
10. Bitches Brew - Miles Davis

PotVsKtl
03-15-2007, 11:01 AM
I could make at least 4 of these lists for all my musical appreciation careers.

La Ferrassie
03-15-2007, 12:49 PM
10. The Cure- Disintegration (My first Cure album)
9. Chemical Brothers- Push The Button ( Got me into electronic music)
8. Bloc Party- Silent Alarm (My first real find of music on the internet when I was just getting into the whole scene)
7. The Pixies- Surfer Rosa (Made me idolize music)
6. Velvet Underground- The Velvet Underground and Nico (VU is one of my first classic bands I got into)
5. The Jimi Hendrix Experience- Are You Experienced (Made me have more of an appreciation of music)
4.The Strokes- Is This It (One of the first albums that got me enthusiastically into music)
3. Radiohead- OK Computer (Just one of my favorites)
2. Franz Ferdinand- Franz Ferdinand (Changed my tastes to where I am now)
1. U2- All That You Can't Leave Behind (The first CD I ever bought and just got me into the broadest parts of music)

breakjaw
03-15-2007, 12:53 PM
Most influential is personally most influential or what do I feel are the ones that most affected the rock'n 'roll world?
EDIT OK I read the first post,duh,it's just that so many people had the Velvets...
1st album I remember buying:
1.ELVIS COSTELLO & THE ATTRACTIONS - Imperial Bedroom - actually cassette and I wore it out
More from my teens:
2.THE CLASH - Combat Rock
3.THE PSYCHEDELIC FURS - Talk Talk Talk
4.LIFE IN THE EUROPEAN THEATRE - A compilation w/The Jam,The Doors,XTC.The Clash,Bad Manners,etc.
5.STEEL PULSE - True Democracy
6.THE SPECIALS
7.TALKING HEADS - Speaking In Tongues
8.ECHO & THE BUNNYMEN - Crocodiles (an album I listened to sometimes 5 times in a row)
9.GANG OF FOUR - Entertainment
10.PiL - Metal Box

Tylerdurden31
03-15-2007, 12:57 PM
La Ferrasie...I got confused...then you made me feel old

La Ferrassie
03-15-2007, 01:05 PM
La Ferrasie...I got confused...then you made me feel old

How? Sorry.

bmack86
03-15-2007, 01:08 PM
Hell yes Metal Box. Goddamn, what an album.

breakjaw
03-15-2007, 01:26 PM
Hell yes Metal Box. Goddamn, what an album.
For "Careering" alone.
I always wince when I see "Never Mind The Bollocks" on so many best of lists when this is SO much better.

bmack86
03-15-2007, 01:45 PM
I bought it as the Second Edition vinyl and CD, and i recently bought a Metal Box version of the CD, in a metal case. I need to get the original vinyl.

romeoisbleeding
03-15-2007, 02:04 PM
Some of you all do make me feel old...but not YOUR fault!!...It was my parents lovemaking that's to blame...

I was 17 in 1991 so it's funny how many of these records hit me then...i was listening to Rush and even owned the Best of Journey when i went away to college and was shone the light.

1. The Stone Roses -- The Stone Roses

2. Pixies -- Trompe le Monde
(My favorite band ever but i heard this album and loved it before i heard their earlier albums)

3. Pavement -- Slanted And Enchanted

4. Chemical Brothers -- Exit Planet Dust

5. Jon Spencer Blues Explosion -- Orange

6. Meat Beat Manifesto -- Satryicon

7. The Smiths -- The Queen Is Dead

8. Ministry -- In Case You Didn't Feel Like Showing Up

9. Beastie Boys -- Check Your Head

10. A Tie with all my other cd's because i think they're are all just extensions of music that I thought would sound like these albums.

Excellent Thread by the way

SojuGorae
03-15-2007, 02:06 PM
Some of you all do make me feel old...but not YOUR fault!!...It was my parents lovemaking that's to blame...

I was 17 in 1991 so it's funny how many of these records hit me then...i was listening to Rush and even owned the Best of Journey when i went away to college and was shone the light.

1. The Stone Roses -- The Stone Roses

2. Pixies -- Trompe le Monde
(My favorite band ever but i heard this album and loved it before i heard their earlier albums)

3. Pavement -- Slanted And Enchanted

4. Chemical Brothers -- Exit Planet Dust

5. Jon Spencer Blues Explosion -- Orange

6. Meat Beat Manifesto -- Satryicon

7. The Smiths -- The Queen Is Dead

8. Ministry -- In Case You Didn't Feel Like Showing Up

9. Beastie Boys -- Check Your Head

10. A Tie with all my other cd's because i think they're are all just extensions of music that I thought would sound like these albums.

Excellent Thread by the way

Jon Spencer Blues Explosion = great fucking band

summerkid
03-15-2007, 02:07 PM
This is done in chronological order.

1. The Blues Brothers-The Movie/Briefcase Full of Blues (I know this seems ridiculous, but these guys introduced me to the genre. I delved heavily into the blues discovering the likes of Son House, BB King, John Mississippi Hurt, Howlin' Wolf, Muddy Water etc etc etc all because of a couple of comedians)

2. Snoop Dogg-Doggystyle/Wu-tang Clan-36 Chambers (discovered rap with these two albums)

3. Radiohead-OK Computer/Kid A (really around the time when my taste in music began to mature and I think these two albums played a big hand in that)

4. The Roots-Phrenology (after giving up on rap completely, the Roots came and showed me that there was more in the genre than what was populating the air waves with this experimental album)

5. Beck-Sea Change (This is just an incredibly personal I was in a pretty deep depression at the time and the songs were about exactly what was going on around me)

6.The Velvet Underground-The Velvet Underground and Nico (So many bands I listen to are influenced by this band)

7. The Jesus and Mary Chain-Psychocandy (I have the above band to thank for discovering JAMC, I realized that noise can be a good thing and it turned me onto a whole other 80s bands. Before Psychocandy I dismissed the decade completely.

8. The Unicorns-Who Will Cut Our Hair when We're Gone (Probably the first "indie album" I bought and I found out Canadians make music too and its actually really good.)

9.The Flaming Lips-Yoshimi (Not so much the album, but seeing them in concert. I hadn't seen anything quite like it and completely changed how I viewed live shows)

10. Coachella Valley Music Festival-Helps give me continued faith in music that it isn't just Clear Channel and MTV running the show that their's faith in live events and music festivals like this.

joppy-slow
03-15-2007, 03:54 PM
1. Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
2. Guns and Roses - Appetite for Destruction
3. Led Zeppelin - II
4. U2 - The Joshua Tree
5. Chemical Brothers - Dig Your Own Hole (first dance album ever owned)
6. Kruder & Dormeister - K&D Sessions
7. The Replacements - Don't Tell a Soul
8. Chicane - Behind the Sun
9. Ryan Adams - Rock & Roll
10. Sasha - Involver

all of these albums kept me happy for hundred's of hours.. i don't think they necessarily changed me.. but most of them opened up that attic door in my brain, that said wow...... this is amazing music and i've never heard it done this way before..

sydaud
03-15-2007, 06:22 PM
As "Kids In The Hall" alum Bruce McCulloch states on his 1995 comedy album Shame-Based Man "Greatest Hits collections are for housewives and little girls".......

In no particular order, (imho) the top 10 Most Influential albums of all time....

Miles Davis---Kind of Blue
The Beatles---Sgt Pepper
Kraftwerk---Trans Europe Express
Beach Boys---Pet Sounds
Rolling Stones---Beggars Banquet
Elvis Presley---RCA Self titled (It's been re-released as "Elvis '56)
N.W.A.---Straight Outta Compton
Velvet Underground & Nico
Buffalo Springfield---Buffalo Springfield Again
The Clash---The Clash

I am not saying these are the 10 BEST albums of all time or my top 10 favorites. I also know there isn't a lot of newer music on my list....music of the last 10-15 years hasn't had as much time to be influential.

CuervoPH
03-15-2007, 07:05 PM
off the top of my head...

1. Pink Floyd - The Wall My favorite album of all time. Depending on my mood, "Dark Side Of The Moon" or "Wish You Were Here" might find themselves on my playlist more, but there is still nothing like kicking back with a good drink and listening to "The Wall" in it's entirety.

2. Bruce Springsteen - Born To Run Nick Hornby did a great essay on hearing "Thunder Road" for the first time, but I'll add that it's songs like "Thunder Road" that start someone on a lifelong love of music.

3. Bob Dylan - Blood On The Tracks "Tangled Up In Blue" is still probably one of my top five songs of all time.

4. Jimi Hendrix - Axis: Bold As Love The guy was brilliant.

5. Prince - Purple Rain Agree with the above poster about the guitar solos on this one, especially the one in the title track.

6. Public Enemy - Fear Of A Black Planet I actually love all their early stuff, but this was the one that got it started for me.

7. Old 97's - Wreck Your Life

8. Pearl Jam - Ten

9. Queensryche - Operation: Mindcrime (Sue me on this one, but I still think it's one of the better concept albums ever).

10. Drivin N Cryin - Mystery Road

I'm Rosetta Stoned
03-15-2007, 07:43 PM
1)TooL-Lateralus
2)Nada Surf-High/Low
3)Weezer-Blue Album
4)Helmet-Strap it on!
5)Black Dahlia Murder-Unhallowed
6)Kyuss-Welcome to sky valley
7)At the Drive in-El Gran Orgo
8)Tool-Aenima
9)Pinback-Summer in Abbadon
10)Smashing Pumpkins-Simease Dream

I'm Rosetta Stoned
03-15-2007, 07:47 PM
I forgot U2- The Joshua Tree and Immortal Technique-Revolutionary vol 2.

corbo
03-15-2007, 07:59 PM
1. sgt pepper
2. pet sounds
3. dark side of moon
4. doolittle
5. nevermind
6. revolver
7. zep IV
8. spiderland
9 . rubber soul
10 VU

bmack86
03-15-2007, 08:05 PM
Spiderland indeed.

atom heart
03-15-2007, 08:10 PM
Art of Noise: Invisible Silence/In No Sense? Nonsense!
These two ablums are inseperable in my mind. When I was very little, two or three years old I would listen to this music constantly, with my head pressed up against a speaker.
A strange result of this is that until I was 12 I disliked any sort of singing in music.

Kraftwerk: Autobahn
This was always played on road trips, and my family takes a lot of road trips.

Peter Gabriel: Security
I have a very vivid image relating to Rhythm of the Heat. I was in a car listening to this (which was always a challenge because it varies greatly in volume), gazing at a sunset, a great bloody red sunset, and I imagined birds and beasts streaming out of the sun in great big battle formations.

Deuter: Cicadia
My sister and I conducted expeditions into a huge mysterious swamp from the futon in our living room to this album.

Pink Floyd: Pulse/the Wall/Dark Side of the Moon
Pink Floyd mushes together in my mind but their spacey and haunting guitar hasn't found an equal yet.

U2: WAR
Expansive arena rock that I can never tire of, especially if I listen to it whilst barrelling down a highway at night.

Crowded House: Crowded House
Hole in the River still gives me shivers 'midst the sweet pop rock.

Radiohead: OK Computer
I hated Radiohead until one day when we drove to Las Vegas. OK Computer blared through the roaring of the wind and a thought occured to me: the expansive, desolate music matched the landscape.

Franz Ferdinand: You Could Have It So Much Better
Franz's pop music takes a darkly humorous turn.

Arcade Fire: Neon Bible
The first album in a long time that struck me with the feeling of dim expanse since (don't kill me for this) Pink Floyd.

Honorable mention goes to
Classical music: I have no idea which concertos or fugues or symphonies I listened to those many years piping thinly out of my cube radio, but it made me yearn for the depth lacking in the rest of the music on the dial.
Jazz Miles Davis, Willie Bobo, Dave Brubeck, and Count Basie. All in an effort to find good music sans vocal work.

Pixiessp
03-15-2007, 08:28 PM
Oh good god. This will be the 3rd time I will attempt to post this.
My flippen computer keeps logging off of the message board.
Anyway,here goes.

In no particular order:

Siren-Roxy Music
The Kick Inside-Kate Bush
Colour of Spring-Talk Talk
Surfer Rosa-The Pixies
Dry-PJ Harvey
Treble & Tremble-Earlimart
Homework-Daft Punk
Pornography-The Cure
A Ghost Is Born-Wilco
Filigree & Shadow-This Mortal Coil

Pixiessp
03-15-2007, 08:29 PM
Yay!!!! It worked!!!!

C DUB YA
03-15-2007, 09:58 PM
this was surprisingly easy - too easy me thinks - I'm sure i forgot a few.

New Order - Substance
Pixies - Doolittle
U2 - War
Depeche Mode - Music For The Masses
Oasis - Definitely Maybe
Stone Roses - Stone Roses
The Smiths - Queen Is Dead
The Cure - Standing On A Beach
Echo and the Bunnymen - Songs to Learn and Sing
R.E.M. - Life's Rich Paegent

orbit
03-15-2007, 11:12 PM
The Beatles - Sgt Pepper
Kraftwerk - Trans Europe Express
Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
Velvet Underground - Velvet Underground and Nico
The Clash - London Calling
Beastie Boys - Pauls Boutique
DJ Shadow - Endtroducing
Prince - Purple Rain
Depeche Mode - Music for the Masses

And the list cant be complete without the honorable mentions to..

Bowie - The rise and fall of Ziggy Stardust and spiders from Mars
Public Enemy - It takes a Nation of Millions
Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works 2
Pixies - Doolittle
Portishead - Dummy
Massive Attack - Protection
Radiohead - Ok Computer
Prodigy - Fat of the Land

Tylerdurden31
03-16-2007, 06:04 AM
How? Sorry.

1. U2- All That You Can't Leave Behind (The first CD I ever bought and just got me into the broadest parts of music)

I was in college when this came out...

it's okay...i've gotta come to terms with my getting older

roberto73
03-16-2007, 08:48 AM
Readers of this thread:

Because I'm a nerd for statistics and lists and ranking things, I've been keeping track of people's lists for the last couple of days. After this thread has been up for a week (sometime next Wednesday - 3/21), I'll total the votes and post the unofficial Top Ten Most Influential Albums of Coachella Fans. If you haven't yet posted your personal Top Ten to this thread and want in on the fun, you've got until Wednesday to think about it and post it.

mob roulette
03-16-2007, 09:00 AM
your list was actually one of my favorites, roberto.

matsuolost
03-16-2007, 09:12 AM
the 10 albums that made me the man i am today

-ok computer -radiohead
got it after 3 years of its release but it has always followed me in life. to everywhere. every single person that has a significant part of my life loves radiohead. and i mean LOVES radiohead. so this is it

in the aeroplane over the sea -nmh
transatlanticism -death cab for cutie
moon safari -air
lifted or the story is in the soil -bright eyes
the execution of all things -rilo kiley
figure 8 -elliott smith
funeral -the arcade fire
im the supervisor -infected
grace -jeff buckley

luckyface
03-16-2007, 10:06 AM
Readers of this thread:

Because I'm a nerd for statistics and lists and ranking things, I've been keeping track of people's lists for the last couple of days. After this thread has been up for a week (sometime next Wednesday - 3/21), I'll total the votes and post the unofficial Top Ten Most Influential Albums of Coachella Fans. If you haven't yet posted your personal Top Ten to this thread and want in on the fun, you've got until Wednesday to think about it and post it.

Awesome! I was thinking that tallying the lists would be a great idea. Thanks!

roberto73
03-16-2007, 12:15 PM
You're welcome. It's actually been kinda fun, even though it kills me to have to tally votes for Insane Clown Posse and Kid Rock.

SojuGorae
03-16-2007, 02:09 PM
I'm guessing OK Computer will either top or be in the top 5 because I've seen it all over on everyone's list here.

matsuolost
03-16-2007, 02:20 PM
for a reason//

idrive1life
03-16-2007, 02:20 PM
^ Not in my top 10/20 list (for lot of reasons). I consider Ok Computer as one of the greatest albums ever made (for sure in my Top 10/20 greatest/best list) but not one of the most influential (oh well, maybe it's in my top 100 most influential) to me personally etc.

PotVsKtl
03-16-2007, 02:48 PM
Anybody that thinks OK Computer is a better album than Kid A is not my friend.

John Peel is My Co-pilot
03-16-2007, 02:56 PM
Anybody that thinks OK Computer is a better album than Kid A is not my friend.

Thank fuck for that. It was gonna be really awkward at our next dinner party when everyone asked why I was ignoring you. Now I don't have to bother...

La Ferrassie
03-16-2007, 02:58 PM
Kid A is better than OK Computer, but for influence it's OK Computer.

SojuGorae
03-16-2007, 03:10 PM
Saying Kid A is better than OK Computer is like saying nails across a chalkboard by a crack whore makes for a better sound than a hot angel in a bikini playing the harp.

But that's just me, apparently. I seem to be the odd man out on this.

John Peel is My Co-pilot
03-16-2007, 03:12 PM
Saying Kid A is better than OK Computer is like saying nails across a chalkboard by a crack whore makes for a better sound than a hot angel in a bikini playing the harp.

But that's just me, apparently. I seem to be the odd man out on this.

Not at all. I'm with ya. I just happen to think The Bends is better than both.

SojuGorae
03-16-2007, 03:16 PM
I'll drink to that
http://www.alpinglow.com/img/cimgs/Pub_PintBeerGlass.jpg

PotVsKtl
03-16-2007, 03:18 PM
You'll be drinking in some mundane stars n bars rock bar while I'm getting pleasure stimulators implanted in my cortex in a kabuki theater themed mojito dive.

SojuGorae
03-16-2007, 03:21 PM
If you say so

PotVsKtl
03-16-2007, 03:23 PM
You can't fucking handle a techno-mojito. Go cower behind a Gibson stack.

matsuolost
03-16-2007, 03:25 PM
I'll drink to that
http://www.alpinglow.com/img/cimgs/Pub_PintBeerGlass.jpg

that looks so good

AMultitudeOfCasualities
03-16-2007, 03:25 PM
1. nine inch nails - the downward spiral
2. radiohead - ok computer
3. notorious b.i.g. - ready to die
4. bad religion - suffer
5. company flow - funcrusher plus
6. the clash - london calling
7. soul coughing - ruby vroom
8. tom waits - rain dogs
9. nick cave and the bad seeds - murder ballads
10. johnny cash - american recordings

John Peel is My Co-pilot
03-16-2007, 03:38 PM
Beer >>>>>>>> Mojitos, virtual or otherwise.

La Ferrassie
03-16-2007, 03:57 PM
Kid A and OK Computer are great. That's settled.

roberto73
03-16-2007, 04:07 PM
The results are fairly predictable so far, but there are a couple surprises. We need more people to post their lists, though. Only 42 people have made submissions so far.

Yablonowitz
03-16-2007, 07:19 PM
These are albums that most influenced my taste but not necessarily albums I'd consider my absolute favorites, though some are. The commentary is also cheesy and possibly irritating to read and I may edit it out when I'm less wistful.

I have to start with the caveat that Nirvana's "Nevermind" was the most influential album of my existence but not because I personally was all that influenced by it (I didn't even have it until about 4 years ago); but because of the effect that album had on the music scene at essentially the same time I started actually thinking for myself (a very late age). So, while it's not on this list of personally influential albums, I can't imagine my musical tastes developing the way it did without it.

1991:
U2 - Actung Baby!

Public Enemy - Apocalypse '91; The Enemy Strikes Black
1993:
Counting Crows - August and Everything

1994:
Bruce Springsteen & The E Stree Band - Live 1975-1984
Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited

1995:
Son Volt - Trace
2001:
Radiohead - Kid A

2002:
Blackalicious - Blazing Arrow

2005:
Buddy Holly - Buddy Holly Greatest Hits

sydaud
03-16-2007, 07:22 PM
Orbit and I have four out of the same 10 albums--I think we are thinking imost influential regardless of genre/time. I think others may be posting their own top 10 most influential, which is fine as well.

I am a list nerd myself...I look forward to seeing compiled results.

CuervoPH
03-16-2007, 07:31 PM
Public Enemy - Apocalypse '91; The Enemy Strikes Black (made me abandon my ridiculously close-minded view that rap was an irrelevant art form)

"Can't Truss It" was another song for me where I knew at first listen I had stumbled onto something amazing. It goes beyond a passing favorite song that you listen to a few hundred times and then move on. It's one where you just know that every time you hear it, it's going to take you back to that place in time you first heard it and everything you were feeling at that particular moment in your life.

roberto73
03-17-2007, 08:38 AM
iDrive, your votes have been updated. I'll waive the service charge this time.

idrive1life
03-17-2007, 09:49 AM
Thanks, excellent customer service. We take business seriously here, so I'll give you 10 BMOTW bonus points in return.

wmgaretjax
03-17-2007, 10:33 AM
(This is a pop music list. Electronic art/classical is not included)

1. The Beatles - Abbey Road
2. Radiohead - OK Computer
3. Elvis Costello - Armed Forces
4. Fugazi - Repeater
5. Can - Ege Bamyasi
6. Radiohead - Kid A
7. The Beatles - White Album
8. Neu! - Neu!
9. Wish You Were Here - Pink FLoyd
10. Talking Heads - Remain in Light

Boourns
03-17-2007, 01:35 PM
A list of the albums that influenced my life would be a bit different than the list of those currently nearest and dearest to me, but I will say this much. The one album that set me down this path:
Radiohead - Amnesiac - not my favorite Radiohead, but it was the first one I purchased, and that's when the obsession with Radiohead and then music as a whole, which led to me eventually discovering more respectable music, really took off

Other significant milestones along the way, mostly in chronological order of personal impact:
The Beatles - Abbey Road (childhood)
Nirvana - Unplugged (1994)
Radiohead - OK Computer (2001, but "Karma Police" had owned me in '97, no idea why I never heard the whole album until 2001, laziness, I guess)
Radiohead - Kid A (2001)
Sigur Ros - gtis Byrjun (2002)
Pulp - Different Class (2004)
Elliott Smith - From a Basement on the Hill (2004)
Arcade Fire - Funeral (2004)
Neutral Milk Hotel - An Aeroplane Over the Sea (2006)

sydaud
03-17-2007, 02:12 PM
After pulling my head out of my ass, I actually read the criteria for said list: Not that it matters, but here is MY personal top 10 list:

1. Pet Sounds-Beach Boys
2. Take Five-Dave Brubeck
3. Fear Of Music-Talking Heads
4. Pink Floyd-Relics
5. T-Rex-The Slider
6. Led Zeppelin-ZOSO
7. Buffalo Springfield-Buffalo Springfield Again
8. The Beatles-Abbey Road
9. Frankie Goes To Hollywood-Welcome To The Pleasuredome
10. The Tubes-Love Bomb

roberto73
03-17-2007, 07:58 PM
After pulling my head out of my ass, I actually read the criteria for said list: Not that it matters, but here is MY personal top 10 list:

1. Pet Sounds-Beach Boys
2. Take Five-Dave Brubeck
3. Fear Of Music-Talking Heads
4. Pink Floyd-Relics
5. T-Rex-The Slider
6. Led Zeppelin-ZOSO
7. Buffalo Springfield-Buffalo Springfield Again
8. The Beatles-Abbey Road
9. Frankie Goes To Hollywood-Welcome To The Pleasuredome
10. The Tubes-Love Bomb

Sydaud, is this the list you want me to use when compiling the results next week?

spigot blister
03-17-2007, 09:55 PM
Top 10 Influential Albums (No Particular Order)

Is This It - The Strokes
13 Songs - Fugazi
Axis:Bold As Love - The Jimi Hendrix Experience
Niandra LaDes & Usually Just A T-Shirt - John Frusciante
Nothing's Shocking - Jane's Addiction
Goo - Sonic Youth
The Velvet Underground - Self Titled
OK Computer - Radiohead
Siamese Dream - Smashing Pumpkins
Mother's Milk - Red Hot Chili Peppers

Honorable Mention:
Evil Empire - Rage Against The Machine
Ten - Pearl Jam
Nevermind The Bollocks - Sex Pistols
Damaged - Black Flag
Rock For Light - Bad Brains
Bossanova - Pixies
Entertainment! - Gang Of Four
Turn On The Bright Lights - Interpol
The Bends - Radiohead
The Lonesome Crowded West - Modest Mouse

C DUB YA
03-17-2007, 10:09 PM
because the people have demanded it...the C DUB YA LIST - REDUX:

New Order - Lowlife
The Cure - Pornography
Depeche Mode - Music For the Masses
INXS - Listen Like Thieves
Beatles - White Album
U2 - War

honorable mentions:
Muppet Movie Soundtrack
The Ocean Blue - The Ocean Blue
The Fall - The Infotainment Scan
The Strokes - Is This It
Pavement - Crooked Rain Crooked Rain
Depeche Mode - Violator
The Smiths - Strangeways...
Radiohead - Ok Computer
Pulp - A Different Class
Blur - Parklife
Elastica - Elastica
Happy Mondays - 24 Hour...
Underworld - Dubnobasswithmyheadman
Underworld - Beaucoup Fish

roberto73
03-17-2007, 10:44 PM
because the people have demanded it...the C DUB YA LIST - REDUX:

New Order - Lowlife
The Cure - Pornography
Depeche Mode - Music For the Masses
INXS - Listen Like Thieves
Beatles - White Album
U2 - War

honorable mentions:
Muppet Movie Soundtrack
The Ocean Blue - The Ocean Blue
The Fall - The Infotainment Scan
The Strokes - Is This It
Pavement - Crooked Rain Crooked Rain
Depeche Mode - Violator
The Smiths - Strangeways...
Radiohead - Ok Computer
Pulp - A Different Class
Blur - Parklife
Elastica - Elastica
Happy Mondays - 24 Hour...
Underworld - Dubnobasswithmyheadman
Underworld - Beaucoup Fish

C Dub, same question I had for Sydaud above: is your revised list the one you want me to use when tabulating the results?

mountmccabe
03-18-2007, 12:05 AM
roberto: this is not the list I wish you to use for me.

This is my classical pieces list:

01. Ravel - Bolero - My dad played classical music a decent amount. It's strongly associated with the old windy drive along the Apache Trail to Roosevelt Lake... but I don't know what those pieces were. This one I recognized... and this one I started to get annoyed when people would turn it down halfway through.

02. Beethoven - 7th Symphony (C Kleiber) - My first summer in Tucson staying at some friends's place; I read their books, listened to their music. This really struck me, the amount of things going on, the layers the levels, the builds. This is what got me into seriously looking for classical music. And this is what made me realize that conductors mattered. I had heard this piece before but it had never hit me so.

03. Dvorak - 8th Symphony (Tucson Symphony) - I went to a few symphony concerts at this time; at one they played this and a Rachmaninoff piano concerto. I liked this much better. I also saw this again in London at the Proms several years later, paired with a Beethoven Piano Concerto this time.

04. Beethoven - Piano Sonata 23, "Appasionata" (Richter) - This is where I learned that I could like solo piano music. Previous to this I had avoided exploring much because solo piano music always made me think of musical accompaniment from when i went to church.

05. Bruckner - 8th Symphony (Karajan) - Bottle of Tarantula Blue Tequila + Corn Chips + this recording = glorious. I'm not sure exactly what this did for the development of my musical tastes other than set me off on a Bruckner kick. Oh, wait, it taught me that really taking time to listen was greatly rewarding. Classical music isn't background music. I mean, it can be but it can be much more, too.

I'll comment on the others later.

06. Bartok - Concerto for Orchestra (Reiner)

07. Brahms - Ein Deutches Requiem (Klemperer)

08. Sibelius - 2nd Symphony (Maazel)

09. Verdi - La Traviata

10. Adams - Violin Concerto

MsTekno
03-18-2007, 05:08 AM
1.Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon or The Wall
2.Aerosmith - Toys in the Attic
3.Doors - Best of? (Double CD)
4.Springsteen - Born to Run
5.Joe Jackson - Big World
6.Green Day - Dookie
7.Yaz - Upstairs at Eric's
8.Portishead - Dummy
9.Underworld - Dubnobass....
10.Tchaikovsky's Violin Concerto

sydaud
03-18-2007, 09:13 AM
Roberto---yes, my 2nd list is the one I'd like to use.

It helps when one reads the actual question! Thanks.

Yablonowitz
03-18-2007, 09:28 AM
Roberto - are you taking the rankings into consideration? I posted my list chronologically not in order of degree of influence. Do you want it ordered that way?

gaypalmsprings
03-18-2007, 09:32 AM
1. In Goddess We Trust by Tenuta, Judy
2. The Return of Bruno by Willis, Bruce
3. A Tribute to Kenny G by Various Artists
4. Buster Poindexter by Poindexter, Buster
5. Shaq-Fu: Da Return by O'Neal, Shaquille
6. Barney's Greatest Hits: The Early Years by Barney
7. Joey Lawrence by Lawrence, Joey

roberto73
03-18-2007, 09:46 AM
Hi, Yablo. No need to rank. I'm just doing this in my spare time, so to also keep track of individual rankings for each person would take more time than I've got. I'm just compiling the Top Ten's - no honorable mentions, no rankings. It's just going to be "Here's the albums that showed up in people's Top Ten's the most." I'll probably do some other stats - the artist(s) with the most albums represented, a sampling of albums only receiving one vote - but nothing more complicated than that.

Yablonowitz
03-18-2007, 10:02 AM
Sounds cool. Thanks.

SojuGorae
03-18-2007, 12:36 PM
1. In Goddess We Trust by Tenuta, Judy
2. The Return of Bruno by Willis, Bruce
3. A Tribute to Kenny G by Various Artists
4. Buster Poindexter by Poindexter, Buster
5. Shaq-Fu: Da Return by O'Neal, Shaquille
6. Barney's Greatest Hits: The Early Years by Barney
7. Joey Lawrence by Lawrence, Joey

U suck @ life

CuervoPH
03-18-2007, 01:08 PM
01. Ravel - Bolero - My dad played classical music a decent amount. It's strongly associated with the old windy drive along the Apache Trail to Roosevelt Lake... but I don't know what those pieces were. This one I recognized... and this one I started to get annoyed when people would turn it down halfway through.

I own woefully few classical CD's, considering the amount my dad listened to classical music when I was growing up, but this is one of the first I bought. This and Vivaldi's "The Four Seasons" are probably the two I listen to most, but I really need to stock up on my classical collection (as well as my jazz, blues, and R&B collections...)

amyzzz
03-18-2007, 07:24 PM
Am I the only one who's sick of all these lists? My god, they tire me out just reading them; I don't even want to try to think about compiling my own.

roberto73
03-18-2007, 07:26 PM
Amy, I appreciate your positive and highly constructive feedback. It's very helpful.

hangthedj112
03-18-2007, 07:34 PM
1.Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream
2.The Velvet Underground - the velvet Underground & Nico
3.The Smiths - The Smiths
4.Pavement - Slanted & Enchanted
5.Broken Social Scene - S/T
6.The Smiths - Th Queen is Dead
7.Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures
8.Boards of Canada - Music had the Right to the Children
9.Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited
10.The Cure - Galore

TheWatcher
03-18-2007, 09:08 PM
Since there are two of us here, I am listing 20 albums. We agree on some of these, which says a lot about the quality of the music. In the general order of discovery:

Moody Blues - Days of Future Passed
Doors - The Doors
Rolling Stones - High Tides and Green Grass
Beatles - Abbey Road
T.Rex - Electric Warrior
Black Sabbath - Paranoid
Rush - 2112
The Cure - Kiss Me, Kiss Me, Kiss Me
Yngwie Malmsteen - Rising Force
Guns N Roses - Appetite for Destruction
Radiohead - Pablo Honey
Stone Temple Pilots - Core
Jewel - Pieces of You
Fiona Apple - Tidal
Marilyn Manson - Mechanical Animals
Bush - Sixteen Stone
NIN - The Fragile
X-Japan - Blue Blood
hide - Hide Your Face

It's almost impossible to think of the top 10 albums, I think. If I were to list all the essential albums I would have a list of more like 1000! Looking at other peoples lists, I see many of the albums that I could not fit on my list. I also have a few bands to check out, that I had not heard of.

John Peel is My Co-pilot
03-18-2007, 09:13 PM
Am I the only one who's sick of all these lists? My god, they tire me out just reading them; I don't even want to try to think about compiling my own.

Get with the beat, Baggy. Your fans demand to know the albums that made you the dynamo you are today!

;)

theaenimatool
03-18-2007, 11:26 PM
wow what a great thread...
hmmm....

The Mars Volta - Deloused In The Comatorium/Francis the Mute
...this band fucking changed my life. the first time i ever even heard of them was watching them open for a perfect circle about 4 years ago, and if you can believe it, during apc's set (which was amazing, poss. best supergroup of all time) i couldnt get tmv's set out of my head. their frances the mute tour was breathtaking.

Tool- Aenima
they became my favorite band on the planet. period. this record is still just about my favorite of all time. i love this goddamn band.

radiohead-ok computer
while kid a and amnesiac are my favorites by the perfect band known as radiohead, ok computer was the first record i bought by them, and it opened musical gateways that would forever change the way i looked at music. my other favorite band of all time.

pink floyd - the wall
epic. when i was in jr. high a friend of mine brought this album over and i was blown away. went and bought every album i could. inspires me constantly, along with all their others. go see roger waters at the bowl if you can, i did this last summer and will never forget it.

nirvana-nevermind
does this really need an explication? if you dont own this fucking record you need to be shot.

green day-dookie
first cd i ever owned. i was in 3rd grade and someone made me a tape of it. it was all i ever listened to, and in retrospect, its still so fucking good.

rage against the machine-rage against the machine
the fucking emotion in this album is unstoppable. when i first heard this i was 12 years old and i had never heard anything so brutal and pissed off in my life. and when i saw them play for the bola tour i was blown away. every song is amazing, and when i first started playing guitar i learned every track. april 29th baby. i thought id never get to see them again.

metallica-master of puppets
got me into metal, and i consider this the best metal album of all time.

queen-a night at the opera
its queen. and they were one of the most talented and innovative songwriters of all time. fm was one of the most amazing vocalists ive ever heard

system of a down-system of a down
i might get castrated for this one, but theyre still one of the coolest bands ever. i saw them live about 10 times and i still never got enough. they will be missed.

i guess thats 10, so heres some other very influential albums
nine inch nails - the fragile
miles davis-bitches brew
dillinger escape plan - miss machine
between the buried and me - alaska
jimi hendrix-are you experienced
opeth-ghost reveries
deftones- white pony
the beatles-sgt.pepper/revolver
led zeppelin-led zeppelin

codytwo
03-18-2007, 11:32 PM

I agree completely. These newbies that are flooding the board are giving me a headache.

jerpar24
03-19-2007, 10:43 AM
Here is my Top 10. These Albums all kind of made me look at the world in a diff light.

1. The Beatles/Revolver Or Sgt. Peppers- These Two are tied in book.
2. Foo Fighters/The Colour And The Shape
3. Nirvana/Nevermind
4. Pink Floyd/The Wall
5. Red Hot Chili Peppers/Californication
6. Oasis/What's The Story Morning Glory
7. Nick Drake/Pink Moon
8. The Doors/The Doors
9. Elliot Smith-Either/Or
10. Van Morrison/Astral Weeks

honorable mentions:

Nine Inch Nails/ Pretty Hate Machine
Jeff Buckley-Grace
The Jimi Hendrix Experience-Electric Ladyland
Garden State Soundtrack
The Royal Tenenbaums soundtrack
Led Zeppelin-IV
Bone Thugs N harmony- E.99 Eternal
Most Johnny Cash albums
Marty Robbins- El Paso
Zero 7- Simple Things
Velvet Underground
Tom Petty-Wildflower
The Mamas & The Papas-California Dreamin'

As You can tell I listen to alot of different music.

TomAz
03-19-2007, 10:44 AM
10.Van Morrison/Astral Weeks

I love this record.

jerpar24
03-19-2007, 10:58 AM
I love this record.

Me too Tom

wanmonei
03-19-2007, 11:30 AM
Aphex Twin - All of Them
Foo Fighter - The Colour and the shape
Jamiroquai - Traveling Without Moving
The Mars Volta - De-Loused

algunz
03-19-2007, 11:38 AM
Sorry, Codytwo, to add to your headache, but us "newbies" just want to participate.

In no particular order:

Michael Jackson - Thriller
Janis Joplin - Pearl
The Sundays - Reading, Writing, & Arithmetic
Social Distortion - Social Distortion
Mary's Danish - There Goes the Wondertruck
Nirvana - Nevermind
Jamiroquai - Emergency on Planet Earth
Moby - Moby
The Flaming Lips - Soft Bulletin
Royksopp - Melody AM
Zero 7 - Simple Things

ghettojournalist
03-21-2007, 10:58 AM
The Beatles "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band"
The Beach Boys "Pet Sounds"
Bruce Springsteen "Born to Run"
Radiohead "OK Computer"
Nirvana "Nevermind"
Prince "Purple Rain"
The Velvet Underground " The Velvet Underground & Nico"
Beastie Boys "Paul's Boutique"
Run-DMC "Raising Hell"
N.W.A. "Straight Outta Compton"

PassiveTheory
03-21-2007, 01:01 PM
"Grace" - Jeff Buckley
"Plans" - Death Cab for Cutie
"Californication" - Red Hot Chili Peppers
"Rage Against the Machine" - Rage Against the Machine
"Aenima" - Tool
"Turn On The Bright Lights" - Interpol
"The Queen Is Dead" - The Smiths
"Power, Corruption and Lies" - New Order
"Prolonging The Magic" - Cake
"Surfer Rosa" - The Pixies

Honorable Mentions
- "Unplugged In New York" - Nirvana
- "Disintegration" - The Cure
- "Talking Heads 77'" - The Talking Heads
- "Absolution" - Muse
- "Black Market Clash" - The Clash
- "Dirt" - Alice In Chains
- "Playing The Angel" - Depeche Mode
- "Core" - Stone Temple Pilots

el pescado
03-21-2007, 01:26 PM
meat puppets-up on the sun
velvet underground-white light white heat
dinosaur jr.-your living all over me
pavement-slanted,wowee zowee
chemical brothers-in dust we trust
beatles-white album
kool keith-dr.octagon(how many repicas???)
the knife-silent shout(i could be wrong but its soooo good)
nirvana-bleach
fat boy slim-you've come a long way baby(sound still cant be touched)

These have influenced me......

iamsoindie
04-22-2007, 07:23 PM
really like this thread. for me, alot of my most influential albums are ones that stir up a vivid memory i have of trips i have taken over my life. thank God for music.

beatles- abbey road- last year, my last beatles album to fully digest, and i finally realized what i was missing. best album ever.
beatles- revolver- took a service trip to Appalachia sophomore year of college and we played this alot. always reminds me of my friends on the trip and the scenery there
velvet underground & nico- S/T- cold winter freshman year of college in South Bend
zep IV- driving around nashville in the summers of highschool, feeling like a big badass when i was really a big loser
nick drake- bryter layter- i listened to this album religiously one summer then went on a 2 week canoe trip in Ontario, i'll always have a memory of that trip in my head when i listen
elliott smith- XO- summer job sophomore year of college, took a bus home from work, reminds me of nashville
my bloody valentine- loveless- haha reminds me of taking the train to a cubs came one saturday in college
chemical brothers- dig your own hole- reminds me of a trip to italy i took in 7th grade, listened to it in the london airport and the train through italy.
the postal service- give up- yeah i know... so not indie. but i listened to it on the way to the caymans my senior year of high school spring break with 150 kids from my highschool on the flight. gives me that feeling of anticipation for something new.

thestripe
04-22-2007, 08:10 PM
1.Kid A - Radiohead
2.The Beatles - The White Album
3.The Rollingstones - Exile On Main St.
4.My Bloody Valentine - Loveless
5.David Bowie - Hunky Dory
6.Pixies - Doolittle
7.Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
8.Sigur Ros - ( )
9.Radiohead - OK Computer
10.Bob Dylan - Blonde On Blonde

IdiotequeThom
04-22-2007, 08:40 PM
in no order...

1. OK Computer - Radiohead
2. The Bends - Radiohead
3. Kid A - Radiohead
4. Absolution - Muse
5. Melon Collie & the Infinate Sadness - Smashing Pumpkins
6. Discovery - Daft Punk
7. (What's the Story) Morning Glory? - Oasis
8. The Black Parade - My Chemical Romance
9. Pretty Hate Machine - Nine Inch Nails
10. Post - Bjork

Alternates:
The Downward Spiral - Nine Inch Nails
Moon Safari - Air
Homogenic - Bjork
Black Holes & Revelations - Muse
Hail to the Thief - Radiohead

bballarl
04-22-2007, 09:03 PM
Damn, I didn't think IdiotequeThom would like any of those Radiohead records.

worldwide2020
04-22-2007, 09:06 PM
Radiohead - Kid A
American Water - Silver Jews
Dead Cities, Red Seas, Lost Ghosts - M83
Pinkerton - Weezer
Funeral - The Arcade Fire
Siamese Dream - Smashing Pumpkins
Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
Perfecto Presents Another World - Paul Oakenfold
Head on the Door - The Cure
License to Ill - The Beastie boys

Somewhat Damaged
04-22-2007, 11:13 PM
1. Nirvana - Nevermind

I was in middle school when they hit and everyone I knew was into hip-hop. As such, I didn't find out about Nirvana till From the Muddy Banks of the Wishkah was released and they've been my favorite band ever since. I remember I bought the CD for this at Wal-Mart before a family vacation to Las Vegas for my cousin's high school graduation. I listened to it almost non-stop to get away from my dad's hectoring. To this day, if a gun were to my head and I were forced to state that one particular song was my favorite ever, "Drain You" would be that song.

2. Radiohead - OK Computer

The alternative rock station in town completely adored Radiohead in '97 and I had just gotten my driver's license so I heard "Let Down" practically every time I drove to school. Still, it wasn't till I joined a Natalie Portman message board in '99 that I went ahead and picked the album up. I love The Bends as well but this album is just perfect. They're perhaps the only band that I can see toppling Nirvana from the mantle of my favorite ever.

3. Portishead - Live at Roseland NYC

I got into them based on the same Natalie Portman board that prompted me to buy OK Computer. They were absolutely vital to me during the two-year sabbatical I took from college. When I met the girl who I have since come to consider the love of my life, this was the CD that we first made love to. It's so amazing that it almost ruined their studio albums for me and I couldn't get into Dummy or Portishead for several years. They are the only band left that I would get so excited about seeing that no cost would be too extravagant.

4. Bob Dylan - Blonde on Blonde

I've read so many lists of the best albums of all-time and have picked up Sgt. Pepper's and Pet Sounds, et al., as a result, and while I can't deny the quality of those albums, I always end up feeling underwhelmed. The sonic revolutions that those albums are famous for innovating have become so pervasive that the originators don't seem quite so revolutionary. But not this album -- its greatness is undeniable. It is so strong an album that Dylan leapt to my third favorite musical artist based solely on its merit.

5. Fiona Apple - When the Pawn...

One of the few albums that I can recall the circumstances surrounding my purchase of it. I was supposed to meet this girl I'd met in a chat room for the first time. Her screen name was drakul ravnos, and being a silly 19-year-old drunk on lust and infatuated with vampires, I dubbed her "my ravenous Dracula." This was the first of two CDs I picked up as I waited for her to show up (I don't remember what the other CD was) and 45 minutes later, I threw in the towel and went home. We didn't talk again but I had this CD to console me and assist my festering in resentment.

6. The Chemical Brothers - Surrender

The first electronica CD I ever purchased. I was huge into Oasis at the time and was keen to own anything involving Noel Gallagher, so naturally I was intrigued by his contribution to "Let Forever Be." Though Daft Punk's Discovery has eclipsed the Chems in terms of my favorite artist album in the electronica charts, this was the CD that got my foot in the door.

7. Alanis Morrissette - Jagged Little Pill

As embarrassing as it may seem now, this was the album that turned me on to rock music. Before Alanis, I was mostly into adult contemporary -- that's what my parents listened to in the car when they drove me to school and I wasn't such an audiophile at the time to explore different artists on my own. It was a Saturday morning when I caught "Hand in My Pocket" on MTV (back when they still showed music videos!) that I decided I had to buy her tape. I went with my family to Red Lobster for my grandmother's 70th birthday and walked across the street to pick it up. I listened to nothing else for the next several weeks.

8. Velvet Underground, Velvet Underground and Nico

I picked this album up when I first met the very same girl who made Portishead so especially significant to me. "Femme Fatale" was the perfect song for me to hear when she would fuck with my head, and "Sunday Morning" and "All Tomorrow's Parties" were the perfect songs for me to hear regardless of what was going on in the world. Like Blonde on Blonde, it is so staggering an achievement that the artist would likely be in my top 10 even if they never produced another album.

9. Oasis - What's the Story (Morning Glory)?

"Wonderwall" has been my unofficial theme song since the day I first heard it. "I said maybe you're gonna be the one that saves me?" That describes my reaction to every girl I'm attracted to. Is this the one that'll rescue me from myself? They were the start of my Anglophilia and this was one of the first albums that I learned all the lyrics to.

10. The Streets - A Grand Don't Come for Free

My Anglophilia is so pervasive that British rap is the only rap I can stomach, and this was the first hip-hop CD I purchased in a decade. To make it all the more personal, I listened to it with the girl I loved on one of the happiest days of my life as we drove to a picnic. How fitting, then, that "Dry Your Eyes" is my favorite track. Why hasn't the Streets been at Coachella?!

Honorable mentions:
Nine Inch Nails - The Fragile
Arcade Fire - Funeral
Sheryl Crow - Tuesday Night Music Club
Daft Punk - Discovery
Massive Attack - Mezzanine
Jeff Buckley - Grace
The Beatles - Rubber Soul
John Digweed - Global Underground #6 - Sydney
Paul Oakenfold - Tranceport
Coldplay - A Rush of Blood to the Head

bmack86
04-23-2007, 12:42 AM
Mine for the past few months
1.Glenn Branca-The Ascension
Atonal, willfully abrasive and loud. Glenn made guitar symphonies, and he made them right. Sonic Youth started out trying to be a Glenn Branca cover band.

2.Big Black-Atomizer
Abrasion at its finest. Guitars like chainsaws, power drills and pretty much everything except the guitar. The bass rumbles like a monster truck. Go ahead, listen to it at night. I dare ya.

3.The Jesus Lizard-Liar
Yow yells like a madman and I smile. This is the sound of utter insanity ripping thru your living room. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

4.Lightning Bolt-Wonderful Rainbow
More abrasion. I've been in an abrasive mood this year. It's probably a good thing. Abrasion increases my thinking, and I tend to do better in life. See Lighting Bolt live.

5.The Olivia Tremor Control-Black Foliage
The Beatles on lots more acid. A LOT more acid. And, listening to tape loop experiments, but not the same tape loops that the Beatles listened to. Basically, these guys are the Beatles in the 90s.

6.Boredoms-Super Roots 7
When a guitar explodes into a supernova and takes all life around it, you wanna know what it sounds like? Listen to the part after the tape manipulation and you'll know. Boredoms find God.

7.Caetano Veloso-Caetano Veloso
The Brazilian Bob Dylan? At this point he's just the Brazilian godhead, and this album is pure genius. Listen to it and understand why music nerds still talk about Tropicalia.

8.Joanna Newsom-Ys
She's bizarre, this album is bizarre. She's beautiful, and this album is beautiful. It'll get stuck in your head and not leave you alone. Watch out.

9.The Knife-Silent Shout
House for the haunted house. Spooky, and awesome vocals. There's a few bangers in here.

10.LCD Soundsystem-Sound of Silver
Best album of the year so far. It'll take a lot to top this. James Murphy got everything right, from the pacing to the lyrics. Finally.

Mau5 Boyz
12-16-2011, 06:15 PM
iz agreez withz nonez ofz thiz

TallGuyCM
12-18-2011, 11:16 AM
Wow, didn't know this thread existed.

NachoCat
12-18-2011, 06:22 PM
I really can't believe Dr. Dre The Chronic is not on more lists. Seriously. You f'n hipsters.

Alchemy
12-18-2011, 06:49 PM
In no particular order:

Spiritualized - Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space
Blur - Parklife
Radiohead - OK Computer
Nine Inch Nails - The Fragile
The Beatles - White Album
Arcade Fire - Funeral
Sigur Ros - ( )
Fiona Apple - When the Pawn...
Dave Matthews Band - Everyday (no joke)

I'll also give a shout out to these:
Elliott Smith - From a Basement on the Hill
AIR - Talkie Walkie
Brian Eno - Ambient 1: Music for Airports

TomAz
12-18-2011, 06:56 PM
I just cut one of the most influential farts of all time.

zenidogx
12-18-2011, 07:02 PM
Night Falls Over Kortedala - Jens Lekman
Writer's Block - Peter Bjorn and John
The Life Pursuit - Belle & Sebastian
Elephant - The White Stripes
The Soft Bulletin - The Flaming Lips
The Sunset Tree - The Mountain Goats
Let Me Introduce My Friends - I'm From Barcelona
Castaways and Cutouts - The Decemberists
Armchair Apocrypha - Andrew Bird
Music Sounds Better With You - Acid House Kings

zenidogx
12-18-2011, 07:04 PM
I just cut one of the most influential farts of all time.

Did you record it on to cassette? The noise thread may want to evaluate it.

Alchemy
12-18-2011, 07:23 PM
Tom's fart is what got me over not wanting to listen to artists from before the 90s because of their being "old." It made me realize that today's farts draw a lot from the farts of the past; and that the farts of the past can sound as great, if not better, than the farts of today.

betao
12-18-2011, 07:31 PM
Tom should start a thread called "10 best old farts".

TomAz
12-18-2011, 07:36 PM
My farts started the enchilada backlash of 1987.

zenidogx
I remember reading an interview where Eno gave props to the ambient phase Tom's farts went through.

VigoTheCarpathian
Well you know he's smelled them all

TomAz
12-18-2011, 07:38 PM
Ultimately, all farts are ambient.

VigoTheCarpathian
12-18-2011, 07:38 PM
My farts started the enchilada backlash of 1987.

I hear that they were the reason my bloody valentine never got the credit they deserved

zenidogx
12-18-2011, 07:39 PM
Ultimately, all farts are ambient.

I've heard some pretty metal farts.

TomAz
12-18-2011, 07:46 PM
"ultimately". Get it?

TomAz
12-18-2011, 07:48 PM
I hear that they were the reason my bloody valentine never got the credit they deserved

That theory underrates Thurston's output.

marleybooger
12-18-2011, 07:56 PM
1. Neutral Milk Hotel- In the Aeroplane over the Sea
2.Radiohead- Kid A
3.The Strokes- Is this It
4.The Beach Boys- Pet Sounds
5. The Beatles- Revolver
6. Death From Above 1979- You're a Woman, I'm a Machine
7. Radiohead- Hail to the Thief
8. Radiohead- OK Computer
9. Portishead- Dummy
10.Beck- Odelay

java-do
12-19-2011, 10:58 AM
In no particular order.
-Bitches Brew-Miles Davis
-Deja v-Crosby,Stills,Nash and Young
-Sung Tongs- animal collective
-Ba ba Ti ki Di do-Sigur Rs(dont know if it counts since it's a EP,but this is my favorite by them.)
-Donovan's Greatest Hits-Donovan Leitch
-Sister/Daydream Nation-Sonic Youth(friend lent me both on day,rest is history)
-Abbey Road-Beatles
-Birds of Fire-Mahavishnu Orchestra
-....I Care Because You Do- Aphex Twin
-Highway 61 revisited-Bob Dylan

And.....
Isn't anything-My Bloody Valentine
Amnesiac-Radiohead