PDA

View Full Version : You Favorite Song Ever

codytwo
03-14-2007, 04:34 PM
You must choose one and only one song as your favorite song/musical piece ever. And then you must tell us what it is. In this thread. And maybe elaborate. And then everyone gets to make fun of your retarded/pretentious/predictable/cheesy/obscure/mainstream choice. You can't pick a whole album and claim it only works as a whole piece. Also, if at all possible, avoid using your choice to highlight the numerous loopholes and/or inadequacies in the rules.

My favorite song is Naive Melody.

aaaaannnd, go.

bmack86
03-14-2007, 05:23 PM
Despite the fact that my stock answer is Can-Halleluwah, because that song never gets old to me, or Booker T & MGs-Green Onions, because it's one of the best grooves of all time, I'd honestly have to say that Jackie Wilson-Your Love Keeps Lifting Me (Higher and Higher) is my favorite. He sings it with so much soul, and the backing track is absolute soul. There's not much better than that.
Other runners up-The Beatles-I am the Walrus, Olivia Tremor Control-I Have Been Floated, My Bloody Valentine-Only Shallow, Talking Heads-Crosseyed and Painless

RATMan
03-14-2007, 05:32 PM
The Nig-Heist - "Walking Down The Street" (1983)

Drank a couple beers and smoked some buds
My cock started rising and I wanted some fun
So lift up your dress and I'll lick your mess
Don't be shy and I'll eat your pie

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g307/waxtraxdenver/nh/nh2.jpg

codytwo
03-14-2007, 05:37 PM
Despite the fact that my stock answer is Can-Halleluwah, because that song never gets old to me, or Booker T & MGs-Green Onions, because it's one of the best grooves of all time, I'd honestly have to say that Jackie Wilson-Your Love Keeps Lifting Me (Higher and Higher) is my favorite. He sings it with so much soul, and the backing track is absolute soul. There's not much better than that.
Other runners up-The Beatles-I am the Walrus, Olivia Tremor Control-I Have Been Floated, My Bloody Valentine-Only Shallow, Talking Heads-Crosseyed and Painless

You listed SEVEN FUCKING SONGS. Not one, but SEVEN. fucking SEVEN. SE7EN SONGS!

EDIT: And come on, seriously. I am the Walrus? How about fucking...fucking Beethoven. Side one, track one of the Fifth Symphony.

bmack86
03-14-2007, 05:49 PM
You must choose one and only one song as your favorite song/musical piece ever. And then you must tell us what it is. In this thread. And maybe elaborate.

I elaborated. Read the paragraph. And, The Beatles are revered for a reason.

John Peel is My Co-pilot
03-14-2007, 05:57 PM
You listed SEVEN FUCKING SONGS. Not one, but SEVEN. fucking SEVEN. SE7EN SONGS!

EDIT: And come on, seriously. I am the Walrus? How about fucking...fucking Beethoven. Side one, track one of the Fifth Symphony.

Championship Vinyl is that way, dude. I mean, come on...

AEversW
03-14-2007, 05:57 PM
The Beatles - In My Life

thats probably it but the song "Videotape" by Radiohead is slowing creeping up.

hangthedj112
03-14-2007, 05:58 PM
Teenage Riot - Sonic Youth, but I'm young so that'll probably change.

C DUB YA
03-14-2007, 05:59 PM
The Smiths - There Is A Light

matsuolost
03-14-2007, 06:03 PM
in the aeroplane over the sea. .

idrive1life
03-14-2007, 06:09 PM
I elaborated. Read the paragraph. And, The Beatles are revered for a reason.

and he says this
And then everyone gets to make fun of your retarded/pretentious/predictable/cheesy/obscure/mainstream choice. for a reason (maybe) :D

But then I expect him to question/make fun of your real choice -
Jackie Wilson-Your Love Keeps Lifting Me (Higher and Higher)

Seriously, Jackie Wilson who? And really am checking allmusic, pandora or last.fm. Beatles fans (except me) have great taste in music, JW must be really good.

My Choice: Duran Duran - Rio

jimmycrackcorn
03-14-2007, 06:11 PM
"imagine"
john lennon

matsuolost
03-14-2007, 06:14 PM
overrated

John Peel is My Co-pilot
03-14-2007, 06:17 PM
Elbow - Fugitive Motel

Just typing the words causes a lump in my throat. It's that good.

Sexecutioner
03-14-2007, 06:19 PM
Jane's Addiction - "Three Days"

one word: epic

idrive1life
03-14-2007, 06:25 PM
Rio in you tubes ;)

music video
ZWUh0qqVy38

live

dPQQ5XybZBY

in Wembley
7fDZjYzOoKA&mode

parody :D

gs7ACG4rQYk

cover ;)

_58CbiPUqhw&mode

even in crappiest you tube vid and shittiest deaf tone singers, Rio always sounds fun and very good to me. :D

codytwo
03-14-2007, 06:35 PM
Rio in you tubes ;)

music video
ZWUh0qqVy38

live

dPQQ5XybZBY

in Wembley
7fDZjYzOoKA&mode

parody :D

gs7ACG4rQYk

cover ;)

_58CbiPUqhw&mode

even in crappiest you tube vid and shittiest deaf tone singers, Rio always sounds fun and very good to me. :D

This is the ideal post. The point is favorite SONG, not performance

sydaud
03-14-2007, 06:38 PM
No attempt at being clever here, but the song "Drugs" by the Talking Heads from their 'Fear of Music' album. My dad had it on vinyl when I was in grade school and the song used to scare the hell out of me...somewhere along the line the David Byrne/Brian Eno connection made perfect sense. It's Byrne's singing tone, not his lyrics (extremely paranoid in this case) combined with Eno's stark, jagged production that make this my favorite song of all time.

I could loop the last 90 seconds of the song for hours on end and enjoy....

bleep
03-14-2007, 06:40 PM
since i was a wee kid, my fave has been New Order's "Bizarre Love Triangle"

idrive1life
03-14-2007, 06:41 PM
^ hahaha yeah, Rio won via a toss coin over Bizarre Love Triangle ... A Day In The Life got eliminated because somebody already mentioned The Beatles

sydaud
03-14-2007, 06:41 PM

Oh hell....as soon as I saw you posted that, I had to throw on the Queen Is Dead....strong call.....

boarderwoozel3
03-14-2007, 06:44 PM
The decline- NoFx

Tylerdurden31
03-14-2007, 06:51 PM
Mogwai - 2 Rights Make 1 Wrong

Any time I feel shitty...no matter what it is. That song makes me feel, not necessarily good, but maybe calm. I probably listen to this song on average once a day. It let's me think. I personally think it's one of the most beautiful guitar lines ever written. It's so simple, but so emotional. The synth sounds push and pull me through so drastically. It's a song I want to get lost to. It's the song I'd want playing on my deathbed. Everything about the song is perfect. It speaks volumes without any vocals at all.

roberto73
03-14-2007, 06:51 PM
R.E.M. - "Nightswimming"

That's my favorite. But this ...

Elbow - Fugitive Motel

... reminded me of how much I love Elbow's "Station Approach." I had it on earlier tonight and it always gives me chills.

bmack86
03-14-2007, 06:52 PM
cme5CEKQm1A
That's got Jackie Wilson as the audio track. Best of his songs by far, my fave song.

Although, Sam and Dave-Hold On I'm Comin' may edge it out...

betao
03-14-2007, 06:53 PM
Massive Attack - Butterfly Caught

That probably has my vote right now. I can think of a few, but ima stick with that one. The trippy vocals, the flawless beats, its amazing no matter how I feel. I love it.

Nobody should dare remix this song - that would be a major sin.

dontfeedthebird
03-14-2007, 06:56 PM
Portishead - It Could Be Sweet.

Because it could.

Mr.Nipples
03-14-2007, 07:02 PM
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t39/RetardoTronFiveThousand/DELFONICS-LALA20MEANS20I20LOVE20YOU.jpg

bballarl
03-14-2007, 07:08 PM
There are so many songs.

But probably...

The Stone Roses - Waterfall

betao
03-14-2007, 07:16 PM
Mogwai - 2 Rights Make 1 Wrong

Any time I feel shitty...no matter what it is. That song makes me feel, not necessarily good, but maybe calm. I probably listen to this song on average once a day. It let's me think. I personally think it's one of the most beautiful guitar lines ever written. It's so simple, but so emotional. The synth sounds push and pull me through so drastically. It's a song I want to get lost to. It's the song I'd want playing on my deathbed. Everything about the song is perfect. It speaks volumes without any vocals at all.

I instantly thought of two songs that are the exact same way.

Ulrich Schnauss - Blumenthal
Plaid - Ralome

These two songs are probably the most soothing pieces of music I have ever heard. Both are instrumental, but lyrics would ruin them. In a way, the kind of tell a story without having lyrics (some people will know what I mean). It's amazing, and extremely beautiful.

You should check out "A Strangely Isolated Place" by Ulrich Schnauss, it's a CD by him that I have and it has had a significant impact on me. Every night, I listen to it as I go to bed. It's just... amazing and beautiful. Get some songs from it, you'll enjoy it (this goes for everyone).

Tylerdurden31
03-14-2007, 07:36 PM
You should check out "A Strangely Isolated Place" by Ulrich Schnauss, it's a CD by him that I have and it has had a significant impact on me. Every night, I listen to it as I go to bed. It's just... amazing and beautiful. Get some songs from it, you'll enjoy it (this goes for everyone).

I have it ;)

It's got it's place for me. I don't get much of a chance to relax anymore...but that's definitely an album to relax to. Along with Telefon Tel Aviv - Fahrenheit Fair Enough. I listened to that album on repeat when I was in Cabo San Lucas sitting around doing nothing.

luckyface
03-14-2007, 08:02 PM
I have it ;)

It's got it's place for me. I don't get much of a chance to relax anymore...but that's definitely an album to relax to. Along with Telefon Tel Aviv - Fahrenheit Fair Enough. I listened to that album on repeat when I was in Cabo San Lucas sitting around doing nothing.

Did I send you Telefon Tel Aviv? Because yeah, Farenheit has been a favorite of mine for years.

As for favorite song, I would have to say Mogwai - Mogwai Fear Satan. Perfection!

bballarl
03-14-2007, 08:22 PM
Mogwai Fear Satan live would be my favorite song ever. On record, not so much.

bmack86
03-14-2007, 08:25 PM
My Father My King owns live.

bballarl
03-14-2007, 08:28 PM
In Your Eyes fucking rules.

vicorintian
03-14-2007, 08:59 PM
u2 -one

runner up brigth eyes -first day of my life

J~$$$
03-14-2007, 09:31 PM
Too Drunk To Fuck.

ewiggy
03-14-2007, 09:46 PM
i have a crush on bryan's musical tastes.

right now my favorite song ever is probably Huey "Piano" Smith and the Clowns - Don't You Just Know It. this is based on it's ability to make me happy every single time i hear it, and because it's fun to sing along to. random girl will demonstrate:

l0HjrXOsr-A

J~$$$
03-14-2007, 09:58 PM
France Gall - Laisse Tomber Les Filles

I wanted to change mine.

e4lFJrpYYMc

ewiggy
03-14-2007, 10:14 PM
oooh i dig it, justin. what else?

J~$$$
03-14-2007, 10:20 PM
Dylan and I loves us some "Francoise Hardy" give her a twirl.

EDit: Oh and Serge Gainsbourg has some lovely tunes.

Pixiessp
03-14-2007, 10:22 PM
This is a difficult one indeed.

One song that always makes me stop what I'm doing and listen
and get a groovy feeling in my tummy would be

It's my life by Talk Talk

That would be a great band to see at Coachella but don't
know if Mark Hollis is over his stage neurosis.
If,in fact,that is what is preventing a reunion.

hawkingvsreeve
03-14-2007, 11:13 PM
Dave Matthews Band - Stay (Wasting Time)

Favorite track off of my favorite record by my favorite band. It makes me want to live.

Predictable? Yes.

Fuck you.

braundiggity
03-14-2007, 11:37 PM
Without a doubt, Bruce Springsteen - Thunder Road. "Fake Plastic Trees" comes in at #2 for me, or at least did when I wrote this in my blog (I counted down my fav songs a couple years ago):

WHY: One way or another, I'm bound to cop out. Instead of calling this a cop-out, though, I'm going to call it a shameless plug. I'm not going to go on about Thunder Road, because it's brilliantly gone-on-about already, in Nick Hornby's book "Songbook." Just read that.

It's obvious I think this song is perfect and the apex of music, both lyrically and musically, so to describe its perfection would be superfluous. I'll simply list a few things I love about it.

I love that I can try to pick out single lines from the lyrics, but it's just not possible, for me. Because A. there are too many, and B. because they demand to be together. I'll try to find a line or two for an away message or something like that, but always end up wanting to put entire verses in instead. But there are a few lines I'll pick out anyway:

-->"So you're scared and you're thinking that maybe we ain't that young anymore" - perfect that it's written from a youth's perspective, works (obviously) from an older man's perspective as well...I'll explain that in a bit
-->"Well the night's busting open / These two lanes will take us anywhere"
-->"You ain't a beauty, but hey you're alright" - brutal, REAL honesty from the king of honesty
-->"It's a town full of losers / And I'm pulling out of here to win." - perfect closing line, perfect lead in to that sax explosion, perfect line of...hope? (see below)

those are just four. But these lyrics are stunning, and work brilliantly two ways:

One: a Prince that knows or feels he's about to be crowned, that last line implying victory, that he has been crowned; after all, isn't the fact that this song is recorded (not to mention that Bruce is a huge star) evidence that he has pulled out of there and won?

Two: Nostalgic, regretful longing for his youthful innocence. Check out the live recording of this song (from "Live 1975-1985"). It's not like the album at all; it's an older Bruce, more worn, more weary, and it's totally different. Instead of screaming, energetic, and hopeful, it's slow, mellow, soft, sad. Whereas a myriad of instruments come in on the album version, the live one has Bruce stuck alone, lonely, with just his piano and nothing to show for his years of work and sacrifice. Just listen to the song, and you'll understand what I mean much better than it can be described. The way he sings the final line ("I'm pulling out of here to win") is absolutely heartbreaking.

This is what makes the song #1. It's an artist growing with his work, and allowing his work to grow with him. Some songs gain meaning as they age ("Dream On"). This one has done that, and Bruce knows it. He's taken it, and transformed it with age. It's got ultimate dual meaning, and you know that the artist intends both meanings.

Also, what puts it above Trees is that it's time tested. This song has survived for decades. Fake Plastic Trees needs to prove its worth over time to earn the achievement of best song ever.

---

Two years later, I'm not sure I'd put "Trees" at #2 (I'm maybe a bigger fan of "there there" now), but Thunder Road's still tops. I wrote this whole thing, much longer, about "Trees," but I'll probably get flamed enough for the Bruce love so I'll stop talking now.

SojuGorae
03-15-2007, 12:44 AM
Impossible to choose just one, but if I had an ak-47 aimed at my head, it'd be:

Yasmin the Light - Explosions In The Sky

bmack86
03-15-2007, 12:52 AM
Dylan and I loves us some "Francoise Hardy" give her a twirl.

EDit: Oh and Serge Gainsbourg has some lovely tunes.

Will you be my friend? Serge is my lascivious, chain smoking hero

codytwo
03-15-2007, 01:25 AM
Thunder Road is way up there for me. Under-appreciated to the extreme, I think. Not under-mentioned, because it is mentioned on many top lists, but I think at a certain point it becomes a necessity to name some things on lists. Thunder Road is as close to perfect as a song can get.

MsTekno
03-15-2007, 04:00 AM
#1 - "She Bangs the Drum" - Stone Roses

Great memories of riding a train through a sunflower field in Spain listening to it - so uplifting....

#2 - "The Bells" - Jeff Mills

Best electronic song (Detroit techno)

SubBass49
03-15-2007, 05:01 AM
Labor Days - Aesop Rock

SubBass49
03-15-2007, 05:02 AM
"All I ever wanted was to break apart the day, put the pieces back together my way..."

apachedino
03-15-2007, 06:40 AM
Ever since 6th grade I have to say "Do you Right" by 311. It's off of their first album Music. It is just so laid back and positive. Always makes me relax and remember the summers where I could just be lazy as hell.

menikmati
03-15-2007, 07:30 AM
QAMyQdBWhUw

John Peel is My Co-pilot
03-15-2007, 08:02 AM
I had to stop their performance mid-song....just too painful!

mob roulette
03-15-2007, 08:04 AM
shirelles_will you still love me tomorrow?

i was going to say be my baby by the ronettes but brian wilson beat me to it. also thunder road is an extremely well-written song. not sure if it really qualifies for "under rated" anymore, but i suppose that depends on what camp you're in. extremely well-written though.

also bonus points for name checking the delfonics on the coachella message board. i personally would have gone with didn't i blow your mind this time but still, points for you.

mob roulette
03-15-2007, 08:06 AM
also,

Elbow - Fugitive Motel

Just typing the words causes a lump in my throat. It's that good.

original or rjd2 remix? i almost prefer the latter. great f'ing song though.

BoardsofCoachella
03-15-2007, 10:52 PM
Radiohead - Subterranean Homesick Alien

AEversW
03-15-2007, 10:53 PM
this is hard...probably...

Radiohead - How To Disappear Completely

TickleMeElmo
03-16-2007, 12:15 AM
Yay, let's spread the Radiohead love around!

Radiohead - Street Spirit (Fade Out)

mob roulette
03-16-2007, 10:05 AM
also crimson and clover by tommy james and the shondells. it was like a light going off in my head when i was like six or something. also anything buddy holly ever wrote. i could go the rest of my life hearing nothing but buddy holly songs and be happy. everyday, words of love, not fade away, raining in my heart...hard to argue with that.

codytwo
03-16-2007, 10:06 AM
You all suck. You can't pick more than one fucking song. SERIOUSLY.

blakely
03-16-2007, 10:15 AM
i cant pick just one song, but i do know which song has been the most influential in my life and that would be Simple Man - Lynyrd Skynyrd...

ThomThom
03-16-2007, 10:38 AM
Radiohead - Everything in it's Right Place

Dode BCK
03-16-2007, 03:14 PM
The Delgados-Witness

breakjaw
03-16-2007, 11:35 PM
Without a doubt, Bruce Springsteen - Thunder Road. "Fake Plastic Trees" comes in at #2 for me, or at least did when I wrote this in my blog (I counted down my fav songs a couple years ago):

WHY: One way or another, I'm bound to cop out. Instead of calling this a cop-out, though, I'm going to call it a shameless plug. I'm not going to go on about Thunder Road, because it's brilliantly gone-on-about already, in Nick Hornby's book "Songbook." Just read that.

It's obvious I think this song is perfect and the apex of music, both lyrically and musically, so to describe its perfection would be superfluous. I'll simply list a few things I love about it.

I love that I can try to pick out single lines from the lyrics, but it's just not possible, for me. Because A. there are too many, and B. because they demand to be together. I'll try to find a line or two for an away message or something like that, but always end up wanting to put entire verses in instead. But there are a few lines I'll pick out anyway:

-->"So you're scared and you're thinking that maybe we ain't that young anymore" - perfect that it's written from a youth's perspective, works (obviously) from an older man's perspective as well...I'll explain that in a bit
-->"Well the night's busting open / These two lanes will take us anywhere"
-->"You ain't a beauty, but hey you're alright" - brutal, REAL honesty from the king of honesty
-->"It's a town full of losers / And I'm pulling out of here to win." - perfect closing line, perfect lead in to that sax explosion, perfect line of...hope? (see below)

those are just four. But these lyrics are stunning, and work brilliantly two ways:

One: a Prince that knows or feels he's about to be crowned, that last line implying victory, that he has been crowned; after all, isn't the fact that this song is recorded (not to mention that Bruce is a huge star) evidence that he has pulled out of there and won?

Two: Nostalgic, regretful longing for his youthful innocence. Check out the live recording of this song (from "Live 1975-1985"). It's not like the album at all; it's an older Bruce, more worn, more weary, and it's totally different. Instead of screaming, energetic, and hopeful, it's slow, mellow, soft, sad. Whereas a myriad of instruments come in on the album version, the live one has Bruce stuck alone, lonely, with just his piano and nothing to show for his years of work and sacrifice. Just listen to the song, and you'll understand what I mean much better than it can be described. The way he sings the final line ("I'm pulling out of here to win") is absolutely heartbreaking.

This is what makes the song #1. It's an artist growing with his work, and allowing his work to grow with him. Some songs gain meaning as they age ("Dream On"). This one has done that, and Bruce knows it. He's taken it, and transformed it with age. It's got ultimate dual meaning, and you know that the artist intends both meanings.

Also, what puts it above Trees is that it's time tested. This song has survived for decades. Fake Plastic Trees needs to prove its worth over time to earn the achievement of best song ever.

---

Two years later, I'm not sure I'd put "Trees" at #2 (I'm maybe a bigger fan of "there there" now), but Thunder Road's still tops. I wrote this whole thing, much longer, about "Trees," but I'll probably get flamed enough for the Bruce love so I'll stop talking now.
On the contrary,Braun check the latest page on the Mix/Mp3 Depository(around the middle).
I wonder why Bruce changed the name of the girl of your fav song from Chrissy to Mary?When did "Three's Company" first come on?
Oh,and I think the version from Live 1975-1985 is the Main Point Philly '75 one which was before the album,but I could be wrong(it might be The Roxy)

breakjaw
03-16-2007, 11:41 PM
Incidentally,right now I'm partial to Otis - Try A Little Tenderness.

braundiggity
03-17-2007, 01:08 AM
On the contrary,Braun check the latest page on the Mix/Mp3 Depository(around the middle).
I wonder why Bruce changed the name of the girl of your fav song from Chrissy to Mary?When did "Three's Company" first come on?
Oh,and I think the version from Live 1975-1985 is the Main Point Philly '75 one which was before the album,but I could be wrong(it might be The Roxy)

Nice, I'm getting the mix now. I don't know, Bruce just doesn't seem to get a lot of mention on these boards, from what I've seen. I do find it really interesting that people have been emulating him a bunch lately (The Killers, obviously; Arcade Fire; The Hold Steady). I want to see him do a cover album of Springsteen-esque indie songs. The drumming on (Antichrist Television Blues) even sounds like Max Weinberg to me.

Thanks for the heads-up about the date of that recording, I've been trying to figure out when it was from. Kind of throws off what I wrote, but c'est la vie. And I've no idea about the name change. Could be anything from a desire for religious undertones to "Mary" simply sounding better.

ewiggy
03-17-2007, 12:06 PM
my "step dad" (my mom's boyfriend of 10+ years..) who is otherwise very cool - has an obsession with bruce springsteen and has followed him all over the country - has seen him perform live hundreds of times.

do you guys like bruce? should i give him a chance? never really have before.

bballarl
03-17-2007, 12:17 PM
Bruce is amazing. Listen to Born To Run.

bballarl
03-17-2007, 12:18 PM
The album, not the song. The song is great. But the whole album is classic.

Boourns
03-17-2007, 12:47 PM
10) The Smiths - "Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me"
9) Radiohead - "Let Down"
8) The Beatles - "Across the Universe"
7) Neutral Milk Hotel - "Oh Comely"
6) Radiohead - "Lucky"
5) Pulp - "Like a Friend"
4) Elliott Smith - "Kings Crossing"
3) Radiohead - "How to Disappear Completely"
2) Radiohead - "Street Spirit"
1) Sigur Rós - "Untitled 8"

Mr.Nipples
03-17-2007, 01:07 PM
fuck rules...
10.brooklyn zoo-old dirty bastard
9.dramamine-modest mouse
8.drinking and driving-black flag
7.bad penny-big black
6.weve got a bigger problem now-the dead kennedys
5.transformer man-neil young
4.jump into the fire-harry nilson
3.marquee moon-television
2.my war-black flag
1.lala means i love you-the delfonics

braundiggity
03-17-2007, 01:12 PM
Bruce is definitely someone to check out. Born to Run is untouchable, obviously, but I'm also a huge fan of The Rising (post-9/11 album) and Darkness on the Edge of Town. And The River; though it's a bit too sprawling, it's got something for everyone.

wmgaretjax
03-17-2007, 01:30 PM
Pop song, this changes pretty regularly, but this is one that is pretty regular:
Radiohead - Cuttooth

Classical/sound art:
Threnody for the Victims of Hiroshima - Krzysztof Penderecki

breakjaw
03-17-2007, 01:32 PM
My favorite is Darkness on the Edge of Town,followed very closely by Nebraska and The Wild,The Innocent and the E-Street Shuffle.Then Born To Run.

NeverMyopic
03-17-2007, 06:37 PM
Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want - The Smiths

I could listen to the song endlessly and never get sick of it. I have been listening to it of over 20 years and never get sick of it. It makes me happy or sad, whatever I want it to do ... it's kind of a like a good friend.

fatbastard
03-17-2007, 10:13 PM
Rupert Holmes - Pina Colada

HorrorLibraryNet
03-18-2007, 02:15 AM
QAMyQdBWhUw

That was the best clip ever.

Brings back painful memories of being in a band with my live-in girlfriend.

mob roulette
03-18-2007, 08:30 AM
4.jump into the fire-harry nilsson
3.marquee moon-television

THANK you. your list as whole looks like it was written by the illegitimate offspring of lester bangs and steve albini.

but that's probably a good thing.

gaypalmsprings
03-18-2007, 08:33 AM
Beatles - Let in Be
Led Zeppelin - Stairway to Heaven
Doors - Soft Parade
Harry Chapin - Taxi
Wiggles - Fruit Salad

bumper31
03-18-2007, 09:09 AM
No Doubt - Don't Speak

superfiction
03-18-2007, 11:19 AM
Did I send you Telefon Tel Aviv? Because yeah, Farenheit has been a favorite of mine for years.

As for favorite song, I would have to say Mogwai - Mogwai Fear Satan. Perfection!

TELEFON TEL AVIV ahh i love people who know good music.

umm id have to see the probably most complete song ive ever heard is echoes by pink floyd. something about it just makes me feel alright.

I'm Rosetta Stoned
03-18-2007, 05:28 PM
I have been thinking for a while and I narrowed it down to two.
1. Pushit/TooL. Its an amazing song in every way. It is arranged like a classical song its amazing.
2. Fake Plastic Trees/Radiohead. The lyrics and music are beautifull. His voice is full of emotion and it almost brings me to tears when I hear it....

theaenimatool
03-18-2007, 11:33 PM
hmmmm...
one of thems got to be the live version of like spinning plates radiohead did f or their live ep.
i fucking ADORE that song, and it will never get old.

theaenimatool
03-18-2007, 11:34 PM
1. Pushit/TooL. Its an amazing song in every way. It is arranged like a classical song its amazing.
2. Fake Plastic Trees/Radiohead. The lyrics and music are beautifull. His voice is full of emotion and it almost brings me to tears when I hear it....

dude....i think i fucking agree!!!!! with every word!

sithlord
05-06-2007, 06:49 PM
"a day in the life" by the beatles is easily the song. to me, at least. don't hate.

boarderwoozel3
05-06-2007, 06:54 PM
The Decline- NoFx

18 min. and it kicks ass

TomAz
05-08-2007, 11:50 AM
Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want - The Smiths

I could listen to the song endlessly and never get sick of it. I have been listening to it of over 20 years and never get sick of it. It makes me happy or sad, whatever I want it to do ... it's kind of a like a good friend.

bn1-M5Ze0p8

DredheadV2.0
05-08-2007, 11:57 AM
Just one song... "Fairytale of New York" by the Pogues and the regrettably dead Kirsty McColl. I'm a sap, and it gets me every time.

Whole enchilada piece of music though would be "Carmina Burana" by Carl Orff (and not just O Fortuna, mates) all the way through.

codytwo
05-08-2007, 12:20 PM

- <-------yes
/ <-------no

TomAz
05-08-2007, 12:41 PM
fashionably late.

Seriously, Jackie Wilson who? And really am checking allmusic, pandora or last.fm. Beatles fans (except me) have great taste in music, JW must be really good.

My Choice: Duran Duran - Rio

you should be hanged, shot, and drowned in your own urine. both for not knowing who Jackie Wilson is and then for picking a Duran Duran song. There is a correlation, I'm sure.

"imagine"
john lennon

overrated

much as I love John, gotta agree with matsuolost here.

... Check out the live recording of this song (from "Live 1975-1985"). It's not like the album at all; it's an older Bruce, more worn, more weary, and it's totally different. Instead of screaming, energetic, and hopeful, it's slow, mellow, soft, sad. ...

I think you've misinterpreted the song. Also, that live version you're referring to was recorded in 1975, the same year the studio album came out, so there goes your older/wearier theory. Also, did you know Nick Hornby also listed it #1 in his list? Finally, "Dream On"? I hope that was a joke.

Just one song... "Fairytale of New York" by the Pogues and the regrettably dead Kirsty McColl. I'm a sap, and it gets me every time.

yeah, "you scumbag, you maggot, you cheap lousy ******" is a real heart-wrencher.

Now. I guess I have to pick one.

Bob Dylan, "Positively 4th Street"

Courtney
05-08-2007, 01:03 PM
Raspberry Beret. I don't care what you say; it's genius.

TomAz
05-08-2007, 01:09 PM
everybody's so defensive. nobody need feel ashamed for their picks

except the douche who picked Duran Duran. he has no soul.

comiddle
05-08-2007, 01:15 PM
Rush - Tom Sawyer

Courtney
05-08-2007, 01:19 PM
Oops, I forgot that we're now dealing with the new "Mr Sunshine Supportive" Tom.

I'm surprised that there aren't more Rolling Stones responses. No love for Mick and Keith. The Beatles and Radiohead are well represented, though.

amyzzz
05-08-2007, 01:20 PM
Fuck Mr Sunshine. I don't have a favorite song.

kamikaze
05-08-2007, 01:41 PM
Maybe I Know- Lesley Gore

Somehow, I always end up here.

oinoch
05-08-2007, 03:11 PM
Ash - A Life Less Ordinary.

Get rid of that "smoked myself into a haze" line and you've got yourself a very spiritual love song.

Proadict
05-08-2007, 03:22 PM
easy Comfortably numb by Pink floyd

i_like_cake530
05-08-2007, 03:27 PM
Rush - Tom Sawyer

badass song

mob roulette
05-08-2007, 04:52 PM
imagine birds and waves. seagulls and surf. the morning sun on your face and the sand on your toes. imagine a deserted beach with an unspoiled mile wide view of a crystal blue sea. do you have it? are you ready? cue music.

everybody's talkin at me...
i don't hear a word they're saying...
only the echoes of my mind...

people stop and stare...
i can't see their faces...
only the shadows of their eyes...

i'm going where the sun keeps shining
through the pouring rain
going where the weather
suits my clothes
banking off of the Northeast winds
sailing on a summer breeze
skipping over the ocean like a stone

everybody's talking at me...
i can't hear a word they're saying...
only the echoes of my mind...

i won't let you leave
my love behind
no i won't let you leave...
i won't let you leave
my love behind

this moment of perspective was made possible by a grant from the sierra club, the makers of ambien, the harry nilsson foundation, the mob roulette music reeducation project, and your local pbs station. thank you.

joppy-slow
05-08-2007, 05:28 PM
Rupert Holmes - Pina Colada

ditto. Simple, catchy and groovalicious

blastyourears
05-08-2007, 06:31 PM
Sparklehorse- cow

BlueDevil50
05-08-2007, 10:29 PM
"All I ever wanted was to break apart the day, put the pieces back together my way..."

great song bud...but its off the labor days album...the songs called "daylight" excellent choice though

SubBass49
05-09-2007, 04:39 AM
yeah...my bad...posted that so long ago...not sure why I was spacin' out...

ewiggy
06-01-2007, 07:47 PM
UGa52pQ-z4E

if there was a way to get this song tattooed on me, i would, because i want to have it with me always.

Mr.Nipples
06-01-2007, 08:03 PM
if i could afford it, i would buy all of you a copy of stop making sense...

ewiggy
06-01-2007, 08:11 PM
word.

leo01g
06-01-2007, 08:29 PM
If the sun refused to shine, I would still be loving you
When mountains crumble to the sea
there will still be you and me
Kind a-woman, I give you my all, kind a-woman, nothing more

Little drops of rain whisper of the pain
Tears of loves lost in the days gone by
My love is strong, with you there is no wrong
Together we shall go until we die, my, my, my
An inspiration's what you are to me, inspiration, look and see

And so, today, my world, it smiles
Your hand in mine, we walk the miles
A-thanks to you, it will be done
for you to me are the only one, alright, yeah
Happiness, no more be sad, happiness, I'm glad

If the sun refused to shine, I would still be lovin' you
mountains crumble to the sea, there will still be you and me

This song always gets to me, the solo and the way he sings it. Beautiful Song is all i have to say.

calmlikeabomb
06-01-2007, 09:20 PM
there is really only one possible choice

r4-9mB_kGgg

theburiedlife
06-02-2007, 03:27 AM

That would be my second pick.

My first would be Tool - Pushit (Salival Version) live.

betao
06-02-2007, 06:49 AM
Mos Def and Massive Attack - I Against I

two of my favorite artists made one of my favorite tunes..

algunz
06-02-2007, 07:26 AM
Lovely Day - Bill Withers

FoxeyLady
06-21-2010, 09:21 AM
HVdhkaIcFSE

BlackSwan
06-21-2010, 09:30 AM
Talking Heads - Once In A Lifetime

rskapcat
06-21-2010, 09:37 AM
Rolling Stones - "Dead Flowers"

Gribbz
06-21-2010, 09:41 AM
Smokey Robinson - Tracks of my Tears

coh7n6dYj5Y

thestripe
06-21-2010, 09:45 AM
The thread title is very distracting.

chairmenmeow47
06-21-2010, 09:53 AM
from the greatest songs of all-time (http://www.coachella.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21360) thread:

JG2tc-knlUs

as far as story, i don't know that i have a great one. i just love chopin. i love the period. i love the drama. and i love the sadness of his nocturnes, all of them. the preludes are beautiful too, like that no. 4 one (i think) that everyone who knows how to play the piano plays in a movie. it's just beautiful.

this is the first song i heard and really remembered by chopin. it was in tombstone, which i loved as a little girl. my dad used to run cattle in the catilina mountains, and my aunt and uncle own a cattle ranch. i dunno, my dad says when he grows up, he wants to be a cowboy, i guess i just have an affinity.

anyways, i remember back in the napster days, my ex and i tried forever to find the nocturne but had so much trouble. it wasn't until i finally found a chopin compilation at borders, after listening to every cd on their listening stations, that i finally found the right nocturne. instantly i knew.

i've bought the sheet music, but it's much too difficult for someone who's self-taught and not very naturally musical. i want it played at my funeral, and my wedding for that matter. i love every note of it.

this is kind of a boring story, but what's funny is i burned a cd for my dad with this on it of just chopin for him to listen to at work. i always draw something on CDs i burn for people, so i drew a stick figure of doc holiday playing at the piano and titled the cd "frederick fucking chopin".

well, he works at the palo verde nuclear generating station (yes, like homer). maybe a few months to a year ago there was an "incident" where one of his co-workers had the residue of a bomb in the back of his truck. according to my dad, the whole thing was a complete misunderstanding.

but this is palo verde. they had the police, the fbi, the media, everyone was watching this guy. i guess he had to use my dad's computer for something because his had been confiscated. he opened the cd tray to put in a cd and saw my lovely drawing with "fucking" written on it, lol. the guy brings it to my dad and says "what, you tryin to get me in trouble, kenny?!"

i thought that was cute. ok, that was a really long and boring post, but i really do love this song <3 <3 <3

and i remember when we did a thread like this before and the hoo i think it was posted narcolepsy by ben folds five. that would probably be my other favourite.

rskapcat
06-21-2010, 09:53 AM
It needs exclamation points. You! Favorite Song Ever!

chairmenmeow47
06-21-2010, 09:57 AM
this thread also makes me miss mob, COME BACK! i love crimson and clover too!

Cheddar's Cousin
06-21-2010, 10:01 AM
2112 Overture!

bleep
06-21-2010, 10:07 AM
the theme song to Frasier. yup.

TallGuyCM
06-21-2010, 12:48 PM
The Beatles - "A Day in the Life"

followed closely by

chairmenmeow47
06-21-2010, 12:51 PM

2nd to chopin, this is my favourite too. yay, something we agree on :)

TallGuyCM
06-21-2010, 12:52 PM
2nd to chopin, this is my favourite too. yay, something we agree on :)

It's about time! ;)

Gribbz
06-21-2010, 12:53 PM
Yesterday is also a favorite. So good at Coachella.

chairmenmeow47
06-21-2010, 12:54 PM
it's a favourite if you're trying to kill yourself lol. that song is much too depressing to listen to on a regular rotation, at least for me.

shermanoaksyo
06-21-2010, 12:57 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b5/LikeaRollingStone.jpg

shermanoaksyo
06-21-2010, 12:58 PM
That b-side is "effing sick"

seyrnon
06-21-2010, 01:00 PM
Celluloid Heroes - The Kinks
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/l_RvgC7JiQQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/l_RvgC7JiQQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

DFrank
07-01-2010, 06:22 PM
http://www.musicnotes.com/images/productimages/mtd/MN0059726.gif

http://static.gigwise.com/gallery/1658442_TheStrokes-HardToExplain.jpg

nationocean
07-01-2010, 06:32 PM
The Beatles - A Day in the Life

/that is all

ficklecycle
07-01-2010, 06:34 PM
NoAtnJoSNHQ

chunk
07-01-2010, 06:38 PM
portastatic - polaroid

there are lots of things i love about the song, but mainly the simple but powerful anthemic ending that always wraps around me like a blanket when it starts.

MuseRadio
07-01-2010, 07:35 PM
Radiohead - Paranoid Android.

JustSteve
07-01-2010, 07:59 PM
one song i can always listen to now matter where or when is "straight to hell" by the clash.

send me ctrpllrs
07-01-2010, 08:58 PM
I don't know how you guys can choose one song. No favorite song here, there are too many that come to mind.

TallGuyCM
07-01-2010, 09:22 PM
The Beatles - A Day in the Life

/that is all

This.

SoulDischarge
07-01-2010, 09:36 PM
It needs exclamation points. You! Favorite Song Ever!

That's how I read it too, although as coming from a Vietnamese POW camp guard.

cabangbangq
07-01-2010, 10:07 PM

followed closely by

Absolute perfection. It makes me want to stop trying to play music.

TallGuyCM
07-01-2010, 10:10 PM
Absolute perfection. It makes me want to stop trying to play music.

:thu

lunatic core
07-01-2010, 10:59 PM
Pretty much an impossible choice. So heres a possible song.

Linda Perry & Grace Slick - Knock Me Out

liquidsnake28
07-03-2010, 01:22 PM
Joy Division - Love Will Tear Us Apart