PDA

View Full Version : Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival 2011

Lt. Bowie
06-12-2011, 12:56 AM
Not a ton to talk about yet, but MC Hammer will apparently be back.

Here's what I've found thus far:

MC Hammer
Steve Earle
Doc Watson
David Holt
Poor Man's Whiskey
The Del McCoury Band
The Preservation Hall Jazz Band

darkjustice
06-12-2011, 01:42 AM
such a sweet festival

shermanoaksyo
06-12-2011, 04:20 PM
This thread is of interest to me

BigBryan
06-13-2011, 11:05 AM
Is this before or after the Gathering of the juggalos? If its after we may have to cross our fingers that Hammer will still be there.

TomAz
06-13-2011, 02:48 PM
I should go to this some time. the 2010 lineup was so good, Saturday I'd've been up to my ass in conflicts. It's like a greatest hits selection of a lot of what I listened to between 1995 and 1999.

Lt. Bowie
06-13-2011, 04:47 PM
In 2009 I had to miss Sunday so I'm really hoping that they get Billy Bragg back. And Neko Case. That's really all I need to make me completely satisfied.

zenidogx
07-08-2011, 12:32 PM
http://www.strictlybluegrass.com/

Medley of songs posted on the website. Confirmed artists.

seyrnon
07-08-2011, 12:39 PM
holy fucking shit Elbow!

GeezrRckr
07-08-2011, 12:40 PM
I'm don't know much bluegrass/country/thereabouts, but I did I hear Chris Isaak and...FUCKING ELBOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!

EDIT: and I'll be at ATP/NJ then. Crap.

seyrnon
07-08-2011, 12:47 PM
uggggghhhh, that's really the same weekend? sonofabitch

tubescape
07-08-2011, 12:48 PM
dang, just going to miss it this year... departing for Bali on Sept. 29. this festival is one of the best things happening in SF. SO. MUCH. FUN.

GeezrRckr
07-08-2011, 12:49 PM
Dude, you've got a better thing going than this silly festival. Bali is the best!

hydr1
07-08-2011, 12:51 PM
Mc hammer bobble heads at oakland As game.....get some

CrimesceneCookie
07-08-2011, 12:51 PM
Elbow for free?
Pretty sure I'll be driving up from LA.

tubescape
07-08-2011, 01:02 PM
Dude, you've got a better thing going than this silly festival. Bali is the best!

Yeah, I'm not concerned about missing this. But I might have tweaked my schedule a little bit to catch a day. I suppose catching a Balinese gamelan ensemble performance would qualify as "hardly, strictly, bluegrass," eh? Hahaha.

getbetter
07-08-2011, 01:13 PM
If atp was not happening ,I would be going to this. Such a great festival bring whatever you want and it's free.

aaronbk
07-08-2011, 05:09 PM
Elbow!? Awesome..

I have gone the last couple years, it's free and all my friends love going. I shall def be there again this year for a day or two :)

vdubshani
07-08-2011, 05:37 PM
I've been meaning to go to this for 3 years now...I gotta get on the ball!

shakermaker113
07-08-2011, 08:18 PM
Elbow needs to play a real SF date. enough of this.

aaronbk
07-09-2011, 05:17 PM
ill take a free elbow show in golden gate park.

spacekat
07-10-2011, 11:29 AM
Ugh...school is so inconvenient some times...

fiyahhh!
07-12-2011, 09:29 AM
Looks like Gomez will be there. (taken from their latest e-mail update)

"Tickets for our recently announced run of west coast dates are on-sale now. Check below for the full list of announced shows and ticket links, and those of you in Southern California/Bay Area, you can hardly strictly complain about being left out, we still have two TBA shows looming on the horizon."

kyleuga
07-12-2011, 11:51 AM
Gillian Welch/ David Rawlings confirmed....

dorkfish
07-12-2011, 12:49 PM
...for every year

GeezrRckr
07-12-2011, 07:54 PM
Gomez and Elbow.....dammit.

Vasoline Groove
07-13-2011, 01:13 PM
On the website they have confirmed the following:

Chris Isaak
Blind Boys of Alabama
The Mekons
Elbow
Irma Thomas
Frank Fairfield
Earl Scruggs
Patty Griffin
Old Crow Medicine Show.

Lt. Bowie
07-15-2011, 12:19 PM
Another medley and it looks like Abigail Washburn and Robert Plant are amongst.

Lt. Bowie
07-15-2011, 12:25 PM
And Jayhawks, Fitz and the Tantrums, Ryan Bingham, Gillian Welch.

Ardentbiscuit
07-15-2011, 12:27 PM
Wow, this is going to be epic again.

seyrnon
07-15-2011, 01:40 PM
robert plant again!? god damn

buddy
07-15-2011, 01:41 PM
great lineup so far, The Jayhawks, Gillian Welch, The Mekons, etc.

greghead
07-24-2011, 01:26 AM
Fuck yes, lineup is shaping up very nicely. A recent run of unplanned car/computer repairs has zapped most of my ATP money, so HSB may end up being a very nice consolation prize.

getbetter
07-24-2011, 02:04 AM
Urgh Robert Plant is going to be at HSB.I'm so jealous damn ATP for being on the same weekend.

pancakespancakes
07-25-2011, 01:24 PM
Holy shit. I love living here.

Vasoline Groove
07-26-2011, 07:49 PM
Here are the confirmed artists from Medley 3 per the HSB facebook post:

Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival
Good guessing on this round, folks -
Dr. John /
Punch Brothers /
Gomez /
Dark Star Orchestra /
Bela Fleck, Zakir Hussein & Edgar Meyer /
The Civil Wars /
Bob Mould /
The Devil Makes Three /
John Prine /
Emmylou Harris ... ALL CONFIRMED FOR THIS YEAR! Round 4 Medley coming soon

Bela Fleck and Bob Mould are nice adds. DSO will be fun too.

GeezrRckr
07-26-2011, 09:49 PM
Oh.my.god.....this is already the best HSB lineup I can ever recall. So jealous to miss Elbow, Gomez, The Civil Wars, The Devil Makes Three and so on. Al, you had better send me some texts to rub it in.

Vasoline Groove
07-27-2011, 08:26 AM
Oh.my.god.....this is already the best HSB lineup I can ever recall. So jealous to miss Elbow, Gomez, The Civil Wars, The Devil Makes Three and so on. Al, you had better send me some texts to rub it in.

No doubt Drew. I got to get you back for Pitchfork fest.

zenidogx
08-02-2011, 11:47 AM
Bill Kirchen /
The Belle Brigade /
Jason Isbell & the 400 Unit /
Nell Robinson & Jim Nunally with their All-Star Band /
Those Darlins /
DeVotchKa /
David Bromberg Quartet /
Ollabelle /
Justin Townes Earle /
The Wronglers with Jimmie Dale Gilmore

GeezrRckr
08-02-2011, 12:08 PM
Bill Kirchen /
DeVotchKa /

Motherfucker!

TomAz
08-02-2011, 01:22 PM
great lineup so far, The Jayhawks, Gillian Welch, The Mekons, etc.

man. I need to figure out how to go to this I think. man.

TomAz
08-02-2011, 03:34 PM
Somebody who's been there tell me about the logistics of this thing. I know SF reasonably well and I know where GG park is and how it's laid out. How big is the festival? do they have three hundred thousand people crammed in the park or is it a more reasonable crowd? is it a clusterfuck or is it a pleasant experience? how far apart are the stages? is there beer? is the weather usually nice that time of year? is anybody else going this year? is there parking or should i figure out the bus line? what?

GeezrRckr
08-02-2011, 05:12 PM
Tom, it's crowded (free and good lineup + bohemian SF hippies), but not unreasonable. People are chill and you can usually squeeze in somewhere for the more crowded sets. There are 4-6 stages and each one has easy access to concessions. They can be spread out pretty far so it's a bit more challenging to stage hop than it is at, say, Coachella (but not impossible at all...they usually group genres together too so you may likely see Elbow, Devotchka and Gomez all at, maybe, The Star stage).

The weather is unpredictable. Usually the fall is our best season, but it can get turn on a dime and the fog can roll in. But, that is what layers are for. Parking is ass so you will likely want to take the multitude of buses that run east/west (I can help you with this...super easy). I am not going, sadly...will be at ATP that weekend (which I am really pumped for, but this lineup really stings).

Feel free to hit me up privately for anything further. I hope you get the chance to go...you will likely want to make it an annual.

Vasoline Groove
08-02-2011, 06:13 PM
Its also byob or food so you can do this festival really cheap if you want. We decided to bring our own alcohol and just eat the good festival food that they have there. There are also beer vendors if you dont want to lug around a bunch of stuff.

I went a couple days last year and it was really really packed. I think the best bet is to just find a spot and stick with it. But if you are solo it wont be too hard to bounce around. If you have a big group it will be lots harder as it was for me last year.

Definitely more families go to this because its free and people tend to camp out spots and stay with them. I would expect it to be at least 300,000 people. But its a great time.

getbetter
08-02-2011, 06:34 PM
Somebody who's been there tell me about the logistics of this thing. I know SF reasonably well and I know where GG park is and how it's laid out. How big is the festival? do they have three hundred thousand people crammed in the park or is it a more reasonable crowd? is it a clusterfuck or is it a pleasant experience? how far apart are the stages? is there beer? is the weather usually nice that time of year? is anybody else going this year? is there parking or should i figure out the bus line? what?

Everything Drew said and It's a GREAT festival.While watching "whatever band" and seeing fog roll through the trees is really beautiful .Also you can bring whatever you want in.I saw a person strollying around with two wagons with a middle one welded between those two so they can bring three coolers of beerandfood? and massive amounts of people smoking pot everywhere in the park.

electrocute
08-02-2011, 07:34 PM
I've been to it a few times, and while I consider it one of the coolest things in SF, it can sometimes turn into a clusterfuck. The parking especially is a nightmare and I do not advise. In fact this year I am hoping to get a motorcycle/scooter in time for this, ha ;)

Otherwise it's really fun. You can bring basically anything you want... food, beer/wine, smokes, dogs, chairs, blankets, etc etc! I would advise getting a group together, going early and establishing a spot. However I thus far have never actually ended up doing this for long periods of time due to wanting to check out different bands. The food is also pretty good. The people watching is A++ because of the free aspect the loonies come out in force!

Lt. Bowie
08-02-2011, 09:48 PM
I think the chairs and ice chests thing is kind of obnoxious. They all plant up at the main stage and you have no hope of getting close due to all that garbage (unless you want to be at that stage all day). The other stages are just fine, though.

darkjustice
08-02-2011, 09:58 PM
mushrooms and whiskey....step it up

Vasoline Groove
08-09-2011, 08:45 PM
Line up is out. Great for a free fest.

http://img607.imageshack.us/img607/8320/28243110150256485406127.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/607/28243110150256485406127.jpg/)

Nice Broken Social Scene and Thurston Moore Adds.

GeezrRckr
08-09-2011, 09:19 PM
Yeah, the number and quality of indie rock bands this year is pretty sweet. You guys should have a blast.

aaronbk
08-09-2011, 09:31 PM
broken social scene?! damn yea the indie rock bands are pretty sweet this year. fuck this is going to be an awesome weekend. This and amon! awwwhh!!!

does anyone know when a daily breakdown comes out? week before?

greghead
08-10-2011, 12:55 AM
Kris Kristofferson & Merle Haggard?!?!

Ok, now I'm actually stoked that ATP fell through for me and I can now attend HSB.

GoodGirlGalaxy
08-10-2011, 01:02 AM
I'm amped for Cass McCombs. Greg, I think I may need you to recommend some acts for me, I only know the widely popular acts in the indie rock genre. And those that appeared on the O' Brother, Where art thou? soundtrack.

buddy
08-10-2011, 01:09 AM
Kris Kristofferson & Merle Haggard?!?!

Ok, now I'm actually stoked that ATP fell through for me and I can now attend HSB.

yeah, i'd be going if i wasn't already going to atp. steve earle and a.a. bondy are some great adds, too.

Egull
08-10-2011, 07:47 AM
BRIGHT EYES!!!

imagoonie
08-10-2011, 08:49 AM
Super stoked about this. But... what happened to O.C.M.S.?? I'm not seeing them on the poster or website, but they were definitely in the first medley round.

guedita
08-10-2011, 09:53 AM
ATP fell through for me as well, so I will be at this on Friday and Saturday. Really hoping Merle & Kris aren't on Sunday.

guedita
08-10-2011, 09:56 AM

Unless you really want to fight your way through the crowds to move from stage to stage, I'd recommend posting up at one stage and sticking there for the entire day. This festival attracts more people each year and I disagree that the crowding is not unreasonable: it gets packed. The crowds themselves are very amenable and laid back, though. If you wanted to park in the outer sunset/richmond area and walk, you could do that easily. But the bus lines in SF run really well and taking public transportation from a more central part of the city wouldn't be too inconvenient at all. It'd be great to see you there!

TomAz
08-10-2011, 10:01 AM
River Whyless, Patty Griffin, MC Hammer (Thursday Children's Program), The Del McCoury Band & The Preservation Hall Jazz Band, Robert Earl Keen, Over the Rhine, A.A. Bondy, Broken Social Scene, Those Darlins, Southern Culture on the Skids, Mekons, Buckethead, South Memphis String Band, Elbow, Emmylou Harris, Robyn Hitchcock, The Jayhawks, Blame Sally, Joe Purdy, Gomez, Kieran Kane, Kevin Welch & Fats Kaplin, Dive Bar Dukes, PMW (Thursday Children's Program), Bela Fleck, Zakir Hussain & Edgar Meyer, Dr. John & the Lower 911, Punch Brothers featuring Chris Thile, Otis Clay with special guest Chick Rodgers, Bob Mould, Thurston Moore, Cass McCombs, Ricky Skaggs, The Mother Hips, Bright Eyes, Seamus Kennedy, Ralph Stanley & the Clinch Mountain Boys, The Swanson Family Band, Greensky Bluegrass, The Belle Brigade, Kurt Vile & the Violators, Nell Robinson & Jim Nunally & Their All-Star Band, Bill Orcutt, Frank Fairfield, Jonathan Wilson, Jessica Lea Mayfield, The Band of Heathens, Hot Buttered Rum, Woods, Bill Kirchen, Ryan Bingham & the Dead Horses, Jolie Holland, Charlie Musselwhite, Seldom Scene, Ollabelle, Robert Plant & the Band of Joy, The Felice Brothers, Abigail Washburn, Steve Earle and the Dukes (and Duchesses) featuring Allison Moorer, John Prine, Alison Brown Quartet, The Wronglers with Jimmie Dale Gilmore, AllofaSudden, The Low Anthem, Moonalice, M. Ward, Dry Branch Fire Squad, Justin Townes Earle, Dark Star Orchestra, Chris Isaak, Gillian Welch, Earl Scruggs, Jason Isbell & the 400 Unit, DeVotchKa, The Devil Makes Three, Buddy Miller, Irma Thomas, Reckless Kelly, Simon Joyner, David Bromberg Quartet, Wendy Bird, Guy Clark & Verlon Thompson, Laurie Lewis & the Right Hands, Conspiracy of Beards, Fitz & the Tantrums, The Blind Boys of Alabama, Kris Kristofferson & Merle Haggard, The Civil Wars, The Flatlanders featuring Joe Ely, Jimmie Dale Gilmore & Butch Hancock

so good!! gotta find a way.

HandBanana
08-10-2011, 10:07 AM
You CAN move between stages a bit but dont expect to do it frequently.
Pro Tip for this particular fest is to not go all hell bent on seeing bands.
Go for the overall experience first and be open to everything. Its the acts that you arent planning to see that often end up blowing you away. And I mean like the Appalachian stuff and the bluegrass and the banjo pickers and all that.

guedita
08-10-2011, 10:11 AM
Yeah, it's really one of those bring-a-picnic-post-up-in-a-lawn-chair and relax kind of fests.

guedita
08-10-2011, 10:11 AM
But I'll take you out to an untzy club at night so you can really get your dance on, Tom.

TomAz
08-10-2011, 10:29 AM
Doesn't get much untzier than bluegrass.

Fourthisto
08-10-2011, 10:41 AM
Geez, that lineup just gets better and better. Ugh. I need more vacation time.

Lt. Bowie
08-10-2011, 11:24 AM
Super stoked about this. But... what happened to O.C.M.S.?? I'm not seeing them on the poster or website, but they were definitely in the first medley round.

Canceled their tour

greghead
08-11-2011, 01:51 AM
Excellent list, Tom, but don't forget Bill Kirchen. He played guitar with Commander Cody in the late-60s and early-70s, and can still rip some really hot country licks. Justin Townes Earle should also be highlighted.

EDIT: Sebastian, I have a large number of recommendations for you. Heading to bed now but I'll hit you with an e-mail tomorrow while at work.

getbetter
08-11-2011, 02:41 AM
If I can't get the time I need off work for ATP I'm going to this.I feel that it is way too good of line-up free.

TomAz
08-12-2011, 10:58 AM
Excellent list, Tom, but don't forget Bill Kirchen. He played guitar with Commander Cody in the late-60s and early-70s, and can still rip some really hot country licks. Justin Townes Earle should also be highlighted.

I knew the name Bill Kirchen but couldn't place it. cool.

I still haven't heard anything by JTE. I am such a fan of his dad that I once bought a record by Stacey Earle, Steve's sister. It wasn't very good. I guess it soured me to records by his relatives. I should probably get over that.

guedita
08-17-2011, 12:05 PM
Kurt Vile will be on Friday.

vdubshani
08-22-2011, 04:13 AM
I love steve earle and I gotta say justin townes earle is phenomenal!! Studio albums are great...He was great at bonnaroo too...I really recommend the song "yuma"...I wish I could make it to hardly strictly...the lineup is sick...

greghead
09-11-2011, 04:13 PM
Lineup split by day.

Saturday is going to be rough. That day is packed.

EDIT:

Friday
Dave Bromberg
John Prine
Bill Kirchen
Charlie Musselwhite
maybe Robert Plant
Del McCoury & PHJB
Mekons
maybe Conor Oberst & Friends, though this set is bound to be overflowing with shitty SF hipsters.

Saturday
Steve Earle
(WTF, Hugh Laurie? Dr. House sings blues?Weird.)
Earl Scruggs
A.A. Bondy
maybe BSS
Irma Thomas
Kris Kristoffersen & Merle Haggard
Cass McCombs
Band of Heathens
Guy Clark & Verlon Thompson
The Flatlanders
Patty Griffin
Gillian & David
maybe Ryan Bingham
Reckless Kelly
Ricky Skaggs & Kentucky Thunder
The Wronglers
maybe Robert Earl Keen

Sunday
The Devil Makes Three
Fitz and the Tantrums
Ralph Stanley & the Clinch Mountain Boys
Justin Townes Earle
The Jayhawks
Those Darlins
Dive Bar Dukes
Devotchka
Buddy Miller
Dr. John
Elbow
Blind Boys of Alabama

Fuck, this is going to be a busy weekend. Can't wait.

greghead
09-12-2011, 01:30 AM
Somebody give me suggestions for Friday and Sunday, there's a lot I don't recognize on those days.

tubescape
09-12-2011, 04:30 PM
Somebody give me suggestions for Friday and Sunday, there's a lot I don't recognize on those days.

Pick the stage that has most performers you want to see and just chill. You'll enjoy the day more, maybe be introduced to and enjoy some acts not on your list, and you won't have to bump into and maneuver around said hipsters.

darkjustice
09-19-2011, 01:06 PM
Dr. John and Bela/Hussain conflict is lame.

Vasoline Groove
09-19-2011, 07:03 PM

Have you seen a schedule? I didn't see one on the website or facebook page. Or are you just assuming they are both going to headline their particular stage?

knotted_donuts
09-20-2011, 09:22 AM
From FB:

Set times for the festival will be made available to the public on Friday September 23.

darkjustice
09-22-2011, 11:56 AM
Yea, I saw the set times.

guedita
09-22-2011, 12:00 PM
And?

darkjustice
09-22-2011, 12:07 PM
I can give you some times if you want...they may change though...

darkjustice
09-22-2011, 12:08 PM
also, I heard that Robert Plant is doing a secret show there on thursday...

greghead
09-23-2011, 07:22 AM

This really isn't much of a conflict.

Vasoline Groove
09-23-2011, 08:44 AM
also, I heard that Robert Plant is doing a secret show there on thursday...

Do you want to share any details because that would be good to know.

I hope they post the set times soon. I need to figure out how early I need to get out of work on Friday.

knotted_donuts
09-23-2011, 11:46 AM
Set times: http://www.strictlybluegrass.com/2011/artists.shtml

pancakespancakes
09-23-2011, 02:26 PM
Goddamn! Zero major conflicts. Everyone is spread out wonderfully. Bill Orcutt is closing the whole festival. Holy shit, Hardly Strictly this year is better than Outside Lands and Treasure Island put together. I'm so happy to live here.

pancakespancakes
09-23-2011, 02:36 PM

You look like you've got a pretty full schedule already. But you ought to check out Bill Orcutt, he is my most looked forward to act of the festival. Totally mindblowing SF noise/blues guitarist:

DdoqnKDVxS4

PotVsKtl
09-23-2011, 02:48 PM
What about that is not nonsense?

pancakespancakes
09-23-2011, 03:03 PM
It's actually about 100% nonsense.

PotVsKtl
09-23-2011, 03:09 PM
I feel better already.

GeezrRckr
09-23-2011, 03:40 PM
The lyrics are tight.

greghead
09-23-2011, 07:09 PM
So many conflicts. Fuckballs.

lowlifegalaxy
09-26-2011, 05:48 PM
Does anyone know if it's nearly impossible to get a good spot when you're moving around from stage to stage?

kyleuga
09-26-2011, 11:04 PM
Does anyone know if it's nearly impossible to get a good spot when you're moving around from stage to stage?

Depends how many are in your crew this will be moving around with you.

It is not impossible to get a decent spot if it is you and one other person.

I always recommend chilling at one stage (for the most part) each day, that is what I have always done, I enjoy myself the most that way.

Vasoline Groove
09-27-2011, 08:15 AM
Kyleuga is right, its a pain to move around at this fest if there are more than you and another person in your group. I think there are 250,000 people per day and alot of people have big set ups of their food and beverages.

My plan this time is to only have one stage change per day at the maximum. Also wine is more portable and easier to keep cool than beer so I'm just going to be bringing a backpack instead of a cooler.

On Friday I am going to hit the Arrow stage to see the Mekons and Southern Culture on the skids and then jump over to the Banjo stage to see Robert Plant.

Saturday Im chilling at the Towers of Gold stage for Broken Social Scene and Buckethead.

Anyone have any recomendations for Sunday?

guedita
09-27-2011, 01:07 PM
Del McCoury and the Preservation Jazz Hall band at the same time as Kurt Vile on Friday bums me out.

AS DOES PATTY GRIFFIN DURING MERLE HAGGARD AND KRIS KRISTOFERSON.

greghead
09-28-2011, 03:44 AM
Del McCoury and the Preservation Jazz Hall band at the same time as Kurt Vile on Friday bums me out.

AS DOES PATTY GRIFFIN DURING MERLE HAGGARD AND KRIS KRISTOFERSON.

THIS

And Justin Townes Earle vs. Ralph Stanley? FUCK YOU

pancakespancakes
09-29-2011, 01:35 AM
When in doubt, I go with the guy who's pushin 85.

greghead
09-29-2011, 10:53 AM
No question. But this is the 3rd time I will have had to miss JTE due to bad luck. Maybe next time.

Vasoline Groove
09-29-2011, 11:20 AM
Any recommendations for Sunday?

GeezrRckr
09-29-2011, 11:26 AM
The Blind Boys of Alabama
The Low Anthem
DeVotchKa (!!)
Elbow
The Devil Makes Three
Bob Mould
Gomez (fantastic live band!)

(wow, so many good bands playing on Sunday! Have fun)

greghead
09-29-2011, 11:39 AM
Any recommendations for Sunday?

The Blind Boys of Alabama
The Low Anthem
DeVotchKa (!!)
Elbow
The Devil Makes Three
Bob Mould
Gomez (fantastic live band!)

(wow, so many good bands playing on Sunday! Have fun)

These, plus

Ralph Stanley & the Clinch Mountain Boys
Justin Townes Earle
The Jayhawks
Those Darlins
Dive Bar Dukes
Buddy Miller
Dr. John

will make for a fun Sunday.

sbessiso
09-29-2011, 11:43 AM
I am missing this for the second year in a row because of work. sad panda is sad.

guedita
09-29-2011, 11:46 AM
What are you doing after work Friday night Sallybear?

sbessiso
09-29-2011, 11:57 AM
whatever it is youre going to suggest....

Vasoline Groove
09-29-2011, 01:09 PM
Thanks for the recommendations Drew and Greg. Looks like I will be chilling at the Star stage early and then either Rooster Stage or Towers of Gold stage later on.

aaronbk
09-29-2011, 09:39 PM
Going to be a really fun weekend!

whynotsmile99
09-29-2011, 09:47 PM
ah i love steve earle. Wish I could go to this

greghead
09-29-2011, 11:58 PM
whatever it is youre going to suggest....

Records and drinking at my house after the fest. Maybe a trip to a local drinking establishment?

TomAz
09-30-2011, 09:34 AM
I am sort of glad I am not going to this after all. The scheduling conflicts would kill me. Steve Earle vs Robert Earl Keen vs the Flatlanders all at the same time? Jayhawks vs Emmy Lou Harris? jaysus

Vasoline Groove
09-30-2011, 11:55 AM
I am sort of glad I am not going to this after all. The scheduling conflicts would kill me. Steve Earle vs Robert Earl Keen vs the Flatlanders all at the same time? Jayhawks vs Emmy Lou Harris? jaysus

Yeah, but you can't really complain because its free. Unless you are flying in town for it then it would cost something. Never mind carry on.

Edited to say, Im really excited to see Kurt Vile and Robert Plant today! And its pretty nice out. Hopefully, it wont be too cold in the park.

CrystalCastlesFreak
09-30-2011, 06:46 PM
I'll probably be heading up on Sunday. DeVotchka! (:

guedita
10-01-2011, 10:40 PM
I am bummed I'm missing out on tomorrow because the last two days have been fun. Hands down best festival crowd I've dealt with all year.

bballarl
10-01-2011, 10:45 PM
Tomorrow has some great bands. But I could barely tolerate being there today. What a clusterfuck. It's impossible to move around anywhere.

guedita
10-01-2011, 10:49 PM
The crowd has been consistently sparse at the Arrow Stage, which is where greghead and I have ended up spending most of our time. The Flatlanders jammed out to end the day today, it was pretty great. And like no one was there for Thurston Moore yesterday.

But yeah, trying to navigate and HEAR anything during Kris & Merle today was rough.

greghead
10-02-2011, 10:41 AM
I'll probably be heading up on Sunday. DeVotchka! (:

Show up early, the Star stage is a clusterfuck nightmare.

The crowd has been consistently sparse at the Arrow Stage, which is where greghead and I have ended up spending most of our time. The Flatlanders jammed out to end the day today, it was pretty great. And like no one was there for Thurston Moore yesterday.

Be cool, keep ya money down, darlin

BlackSwan
10-02-2011, 10:45 AM
So the star stage is a clusterfuck huh? I just want to see Elbow... Any suggestions?

guedita
10-02-2011, 10:53 AM
Wiggle through. If it's just you and your wife, or just you, you shouldn't have a problem moving up. It gets clusterfucky because there are large groups of people trying to meet up and coordinate and all drink together. There were three of us yesterday and we managed, by the end of Merle & Kris's set, to get at least somewhat closer to the stage. And since there will be people in chairs/laying on blankets, just stand near them/on their blanket. People have been, for the most part, especially friendly.

If anyone hasn't registered to vote: FIND SHIRLEY.

greghead
10-02-2011, 10:54 AM
Don't bother, she'll find you.

BlackSwan
10-02-2011, 11:40 AM
Thanks guedita! I feel better now.

greghead
10-02-2011, 02:06 PM
The situation has reversed. Arrow is a complete clusterfuck and and the Star stage is nice and comfortable.

greghead
10-02-2011, 02:06 PM
And Dr. John is killing it.

aaronbk
10-02-2011, 10:16 PM
Perfect weekend..check! Can't complain about a free festival.

Vasoline Groove
10-03-2011, 09:26 AM
Robert Plant and his band of Joy were amazing. Ramble on as the closer was as good as it gets.

I'm upset that I didnt get closer for Broken Social Scene because the set sounded like a good one but too many people chatting in the back. Not to mention some asshole popped some champagne which the cork hit this girl in the ear in front of us. It ended up being a big ordeal with crying and the medic teams coming. People should really know how to pop champagne if you are going to do it in a crowded setting.

Really surprised how many less people were at the Towers of Gold stage on Sunday. We got up pretty close and were able to hear the Star stage acts as well. Devotchka was good. Fitz and the Tantrums were really good. Gomez were a little too sleepy for me.

But overall a really fun time and can't wait for next year. You really cant beat a free byob festival.

guedita
10-03-2011, 09:36 AM
Dark Star Orchestra played the Grateful Dead's 9/28/75 set at Lindley Meadows.

spence
10-03-2011, 01:12 PM
Thought Devotchka and Elbow were both really good. Star Stage was a bit of a clusterfuck but I managed to climb up into a tree and watch Elbow with a fantastic view. Did anyone else catch Bela's set? Not exactly what I was expecting but I enjoyed it even though it was kind of hard to hear.

Vasoline Groove
10-03-2011, 09:55 PM
Thought Devotchka and Elbow were both really good. Star Stage was a bit of a clusterfuck but I managed to climb up into a tree and watch Elbow with a fantastic view. Did anyone else catch Bela's set? Not exactly what I was expecting but I enjoyed it even though it was kind of hard to hear.

I didn't get there to catch Bela, but my buddy said the same thing you did. That there was weird instrumentation and the volume wasnt loud and there were too many people talking. But he thought it would have been good if he could have heard it.

Good job on the tree spot.

darkjustice
10-04-2011, 01:59 AM
I accidentally walked through a swamp on Sunday night.

greghead
10-04-2011, 08:27 PM
Highlights:

All the really good Dead covers
Sunday Morning Coming Down
Fantastic food options
Woods laying down a Jefferson Airplane-esque freakout to start the weekend
Better infrastructure
Del McCoury
Elucidating to Cara the finer points of halfway house living
Thurston Moore's acoustic poetry freakout.
The Flatlanders' closing song/jam
Warm, sunny weather
9/28/75

Shitty Things:

fucking conflicts
Jerk offs who felt compelled to talk through ALL of Kris Kristofferson's songs
crowd size on Sunday
Only having one flask