PDA

View Full Version : Please help alleviate my worries...

JamesMills
06-07-2011, 08:22 AM
I haven't visited the forums since the big announcement because I am discouraged bout the idea. Here are my concerns:

1. Will this detract from getting bigger, more exclusive acts? Are people like Kanye that rarely perform and slightly egomaniacal going to be down for two shows that try to duplicate themselves? Will they be down to wait a week in between as well?

2. If they are down for that, at what price? Will having to pay for double the travel expenses and salary jeopardize our festival in any way? I've seen many a promotions fall victim to this routine of over-expansion, Coachella would obviously be the last thing I want to see suffer from this.

3. I feel as if this inarguably is going to make the experience feel less "epic," for lack of a better word. Arcade Fire's performance last year would not have been the same if you knew the surprise bouncy-balls were already coming, or the same with Kanye's entrance.

Those are my main concerns, though at the same time there are some inarguable benefits: more room and tickets (by the way, do you guys recommend preordering them now or do you think we'll all be good to go now that there's so many?), and the fact that those who are capable can witness TWO BACK TO BACK COACHELLAS!

Not trying to start a flame war, I'm just interested in hearing your thoughts...

JustSteve
06-07-2011, 08:25 AM
everyone's thoughts are in the 20 other threads that have been started since the announcement was made...

Gribbz
06-07-2011, 08:30 AM
everyone's thoughts are in the 20 other threads that have been started since the announcement was made...

Seriously.

malcolmjamalawesome
06-07-2011, 08:31 AM
You fucking piece of shit.

ZachTheEskimo
06-07-2011, 08:33 AM
Yeah, pretty much everything that can be said has already been said dude.

JamesMills
06-07-2011, 08:38 AM
I didn't see my specific concerns mentioned in the threads I searched, it was just more of the same emo bickering back and forth. If anyone cares to recapitulate what was said in response to my concerns, it would be much appreciated.

koryp
06-07-2011, 08:47 AM
I didn't see my specific concerns mentioned in the threads I searched, it was just more of the same emo bickering back and forth. If anyone cares to recapitulate what was said in response to my concerns, it would be much appreciated.

Sure,
it's like, not ever gonna be the same, don't like, it's no longer special, people suck who are going to both, and most importantly JamesMills should not under any circumstance attend another Coachella and should delete his message board account.
/thread

dorkfish
06-07-2011, 09:19 AM
Money is money, so very few acts would turn down the opportunity to headline twice. Goldenvoice and the artists are going to make a ton of money from this.

Because it being a special singular experience is so important to you, just go the first weekend or if you must go to the second, have some self-respect by ignoring all information about last week's event.

If you want to attend the first weekend, you should pre-order it now. Otherwise, you'll be stuck with the second weekend.

eyestothesky
06-07-2011, 10:02 AM

All of your specific concerns were all the same fucking concerns in all of the other topics that covered this the day of the announcement. Seriously, on like every page of every topic created about it, those concerns were covered ad nauseum.

faxman75
06-07-2011, 10:04 AM
COACHELLA IS DEAD THERE IS NO MORE MAGIC LEFT YOU SON OF A BITCH!

nationocean
06-07-2011, 10:13 AM
LONG LIVE COACHELLA!!!!!

DEATH TO JAMESMILLS!!!!

Changoloco
06-07-2011, 10:26 AM
Money is money, so very few acts would turn down the opportunity to headline twice. Goldenvoice and the artists are going to make a ton of money from this.

Because it being a special singular experience is so important to you, just go the first weekend or if you must go to the second, have some self-respect by ignoring all information about last week's event.

If you want to attend the first weekend, you should pre-order it now. Otherwise, you'll be stuck with the second weekend.

This is an interesting yet, innacurate account of the way that bookings actually work. There will be a lot of acts that they cannot book because of this format, bank on it, And yes, I am a booking agent in real life.

Miroir Noir
06-07-2011, 10:29 AM
Must be a busy day in the old booking office.

faxman75
06-07-2011, 10:34 AM
Rolling Stones, U2 and R.E.M.
subheadliners
Wilco, The Flaming Lips and Weezer

oh wrong thread...

suprefan
06-07-2011, 10:39 AM
This is an interesting yet, innacurate account of the way that bookings actually work. There will be a lot of acts that they cannot book because of this format, bank on it, And yes, I am a booking agent in real life.

So give us some insight on all of this then. What has your side of the business been experiencing and trying to sort out since the announcement? How would you handle this offer for some of the people you work for that could/would play Coachella?

JamesMills
06-07-2011, 10:41 AM

Obviously this topic has not been discussed, or rather resolved, "ad nauseum" like all of you whiney little bitches claim it has. If the thread doesn't concern you, it doesn't concern you, so why not benefit both of us and just fuck off?

Thanks for your thoughts, dorkfish and changoloco. And I agree with suprefan, I'm also really interested in your insight...

faxman75
06-07-2011, 10:45 AM
No, THANK YOU James Mills. Thank you for making the thread that will finally resolve this issue. You're the best.

Gribbz
06-07-2011, 10:49 AM
Thank god we know what James Mills thinks about all of this.

GuyInTucson
06-07-2011, 10:59 AM
I think Changoloco is full of shit.

unknown
06-07-2011, 11:06 AM
Someone please answer his concerns!!! I've been dying to have the same questions answered.

faxman75
06-07-2011, 11:35 AM
Because of this. The magic is gone. I hate my life. Do you see how that works?

2 Coachella weekends
Many bands won't do it
Many other promotions have fallen victim to this same kind of over-expansion
Magic Gone
Arcade Fire bouncing balls no longer magical
Kanye entrance no longer a surprise even LESS magic

I hate my life. I just want my magic back.

GuyInTucson
06-07-2011, 11:40 AM
Because of this. The magic is gone. I hate my life. Do you see how that works?

2 Coachella weekends
Many bands won't do it
Many other promotions have fallen victim to this same kind of over-expansion
Magic Gone
Arcade Fire bouncing balls no longer magical
Kanye entrance no longer a surprise even LESS magic

I hate my life. I just want my magic back.

Every time you post it angers me that you're going both weekends. Not like the "OMG you are the person killing what Coachella really means" type of anger. It's more of the, "Fuck you, you fucking bastard I need a week out of Arizona and I want to go both weekends too" type of anger.

I wonder how my wife would take it if I told her that all of our bills are getting in the way of doublechella and that must not happen.

faxman75
06-07-2011, 11:47 AM
I think you need to sit her down and have a talk. A nice long talk. If need be you can call me up and put me on speaker phone and I can help smooth things over too. You will feel empowered! Your relationship is probably too healthy and stable anyway, jar it a bit. It will last longer.

yer ole pal,
faxy

Gribbz
06-07-2011, 11:47 AM
Those magical Arcade Fire balls changed my life.

Starraven
06-07-2011, 11:52 AM
I haven't visited the forums since the big announcement because I am discouraged bout the idea. Here are my concerns:

1. Will this detract from getting bigger, more exclusive acts? Are people like Kanye that rarely perform and slightly egomaniacal going to be down for two shows that try to duplicate themselves? Will they be down to wait a week in between as well?

2. If they are down for that, at what price? Will having to pay for double the travel expenses and salary jeopardize our festival in any way? I've seen many a promotions fall victim to this routine of over-expansion, Coachella would obviously be the last thing I want to see suffer from this.

3. I feel as if this inarguably is going to make the experience feel less "epic," for lack of a better word. Arcade Fire's performance last year would not have been the same if you knew the surprise bouncy-balls were already coming, or the same with Kanye's entrance.

Those are my main concerns, though at the same time there are some inarguable benefits: more room and tickets (by the way, do you guys recommend preordering them now or do you think we'll all be good to go now that there's so many?), and the fact that those who are capable can witness TWO BACK TO BACK COACHELLAS!

Not trying to start a flame war, I'm just interested in hearing your thoughts...
http://elitespins.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/applause.gif

malcolmjamalawesome
06-07-2011, 11:52 AM
ITT: James Mills solves Coachella

Miroir Noir
06-07-2011, 11:58 AM
RE: Booking agents

Gerry Harrington, who manages Big Audio Dynamite, the post-Clash band led by Mick Jones that re-formed for this year’s Coachella, applauded the move. “If he can pull this off,” Harrington said of Tollett, “it’s the greatest idea ever.”

Tom Windish, whose Chicago-based Windish Agency placed more than 30 acts at Coachella in 2011, said the influx of more tickets should weaken the resale value, but conceded it would be a “new challenge” for tour routers. Still, Windish was optimistic it would create more opportunities, as well as increasing an act’s payday.

“It will mean the artist can walk out with more money from the L.A. market than they had previously … Potentially, now they can double that money. I don’t know if they’ll be offering twice as much money for two shows, but hopefully they will do that.”

Destination festivals like Coachella and Chicago’s Lollapalooza lock artists into exclusivity clauses that place limitations on where an artist can tour in the weeks surrounding the event. How artists will be allowed to fill the gap between Coachellas remained an unanswered question.

“I’m looking forward to hearing more logistical details about what the plan is for performing artists during that week in between,” said Ben Dickey, whose L.A.-based Constant Artist works with Coachella main stage veterans Spoon. “But I’d rather [Tollett] try something creative like this than simply sell more tickets to the one weekend, as that inevitably leads to a less positive experience for fans and artists alike.”

Scott Rodger, who manages 2011 Coachella headliner Arcade Fire, said the booking concerns were largely moot. “Announcing this far out will ensure no booking or routing issues,” he said. “The consumer now has a better choice of weekends too.”

“There is no festival with a concept like this,” Rodger added. “Ultimately, Paul Tollett will try it, and the audience will let him know if it works or not.”

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/music_blog/2011/05/coachella-times-two-were-going-after-artists-who-are-going-to-play-twice.html

That is all; return to flaming of JamesMills.

faxman75
06-07-2011, 11:58 AM
http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff98/faxman75/ViolentJ.jpg

Starraven
06-07-2011, 12:02 PM
Fucking Magnets... Will they still work now that Coachella isn't magical?

Fourthisto
06-07-2011, 12:14 PM
Well look. I already told you: I deal with the god damn customers so the engineers don't have to! I have people skills!! I am good at dealing with people!!! Can't you understand that? What the hell is wrong with you people?!?!?

GuyInTucson
06-07-2011, 12:28 PM
Well look. I already told you: I deal with the god damn customers so the engineers don't have to! I have people skills!! I am good at dealing with people!!! Can't you understand that? What the hell is wrong with you people?!?!?

http://www.thinkgeek.com/images/products/additional/large/office_space_kit_mat.jpg

JustSteve
06-07-2011, 12:30 PM
Those magical Arcade Fire balls changed my life.

he may just be a pair of balls to you, but to everyone else he is just win.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
06-07-2011, 12:39 PM

1. You're an asshole

2. Seriously, what the fuck, there are 40,000 other threads marked like this.

3. Shut the fuck up.

Nice thread. A+

JamesMills
06-07-2011, 12:40 PM
lol I never said the words "magic" or "magical" you stupid bitches. Hyperbole ftw

chairmenmeow47
06-07-2011, 12:43 PM
Obviously this topic has not been discussed, or rather resolved

OBVIOUSLY, GOSH!

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
06-07-2011, 12:43 PM

voice of sanity in an otherwise dumbass threadz.

Gribbz
06-07-2011, 12:45 PM
OBVIOUSLY, GOSH!

So obvious.

mistakenstrangers
06-07-2011, 03:04 PM
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_liug0ec4EF1qfzecr.gif

suprefan
06-07-2011, 11:59 PM
lol I never said the words "magic" or "magical" you stupid bitches. Hyperbole ftw

http://ithuglife.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/rickjamesslap.gif

Premium Roast
06-08-2011, 06:54 AM
http://www.philhendrieshow.com/storage/dumbass.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=13045408649 02

Actually, don't really care either way. Just wanted to use this once.

arsgunner
06-08-2011, 03:01 PM

money talks and i'm sure GV will bring out a couple shitty headliners to make sure tickets sell..i just hope lady gaga never appears in the desert!

loubque
06-08-2011, 06:14 PM

I hate to tell you this but Coachella is not the only shows these bands play. As a matter of fact Coachella really in the end is just another show for these bands.

darkjustice
06-09-2011, 12:12 AM
chumpy thread

baily
06-09-2011, 06:55 AM
Surprised about all the bitching!

When the weekend comes around you aren't going to lose one fucking bit by going to weekend 1,2 or both.

You now have the opportunity to choose which weekend (if any) you are going to. No one is forcing your sorry ass to go to both, but if you have the $, the means and the desire you can.

My god....wake the fuck up you crying ass bitches....this whole announcement means MORE LIVE MUSIC!

Isn't that what we desire....you fucking tards!

Finally stop worrying about the questions of booking and issues....THEY HAVE WORKED THROUGH ANY AND ALL ISSUES. THEY ARE NOT SOME RETARDS WHO GOT THE IDEA ONE SECOND AND TOSSED IT ON THE WEBSITE THE NEXT. THEY HAD MEETINGS, DISCUSSIONS AND DEBATES. The final say said this would be best for the event.

Get on board or get the fuck outta here.

I for one am tired of the "the arcade fire balls and Kanye's entrance wouldn't be the same" - Hey bitches...yes it would....if you went to the second show you'd make sure you were closer to the stage and hours before hand you'd be looking forward to it and be yapping it up with your friends about how much you liked it the first time.

Too many of you just bitch to bitch....have some fun, lighten up...smoke a bowl and understand that GV has done a great job so far and will only work to make the entire event BETTER every year.