PDA

View Full Version : How likely is it that GV can gaurentee the same lineups both weekends???

sinbin111
06-01-2011, 08:38 AM
Id like to see some comments from GV about this....seems like an impossible promise. Any one else feel the same?

PotVsKtl
06-01-2011, 08:43 AM
Kill yourself.

SONR801
06-01-2011, 08:44 AM
It's not impossible. There may be some slight differences with the smaller acts but dont expect major ones.

chickonmytip
06-01-2011, 08:46 AM
It seems impossible..how can they possibily schedule 150+ artists to stay in the same area for over a week when many are on tour. Also, if they have a radius clause its not likely they can cruise to LA or Vegas and play mid-week and come back after.

captncrzy
06-01-2011, 08:49 AM
Id like to set you on fire

faxman75
06-01-2011, 08:50 AM
I feel differnt bout stuffs. I was thinking more about it and then I was all like whoa that is going to be one of those hard things to do. How are they going to be managing that? All these bands and they want them to just play it again the following week? Where will all the people go?

I dunno bout this one fellas but I think they didn't think ya know? and what about parking? How are people going to go to and fro all weekend? No set times? No bands and they are selling tickets too. Sumptins up.

faxman75
06-01-2011, 08:54 AM
Then I was wondering what would happen if it rained one of these weekends. Then one weekend it's going to be sunny and the next weekend it's going to be LESS sunny and the bands aren't going to all want to play in the rain, they gonna be all like 'hey, last weekend it was all sunny and now this weekend it's like wet'. How is goldenvoice going to deal with rain and people and bands? I hope it doesn't rain but I have a feeling it's going to be possible cuz it never has really done it before at Coachella and now there are two instead of one so the odds just doubled.

Bad planning. I think.

PotVsKtl
06-01-2011, 08:55 AM
faxman, shut the fuck up.

SONR801
06-01-2011, 08:55 AM
It seems impossible..how can they possibily schedule 150+ artists to stay in the same area for over a week when many are on tour. Also, if they have a radius clause its not likely they can cruise to LA or Vegas and play mid-week and come back after.

They're rich and can offer the bands more money for their time at a world renowned festival .....thats how

Do you think they are going to book 250 separate acts, no. GV most likely contacted a-lot of booking agencies and artist managers in advance to get the support to announce this in the first place.

If you're worried they will have different headliners on different weekends then you're just stupid, they wont lolly-gag around with the acts that have the most pull, if some of the smaller acts cant do the two weekends they will probably just play one and in that case whatever.

GuyInTucson
06-01-2011, 08:56 AM
I don't know how they are going to get acts to play the second week of Coachella if they have other obligations in other cities...

Oh wait...

There are these things called airplanes and they fly REALLY fucking fast. I mean, they can get from one side of the country to the other in the matter of hours. You can make it to the opposite side of the globe in less than 24 hours. It's happened before, I promise.

faxman75
06-01-2011, 08:59 AM
faxman, shut the fuck up.

You are ok with Arcade Fire dropping those balls twice? People weekend 2 are going to be all 'oh this is not so special' and then what Pot? THEN WHAT?!

Buddha99
06-01-2011, 09:12 AM

Although I maybe skeptical of the 2-weekend concept, I am willing to bet that GV can pull this off. They have the track record and when things went wrong, they made moves to correct it. There is no way GV would announce this format without deep discussions with the many of the expected acts and their management. There might be some minor differences due to sickness or injuries but for the most part, it might even be easier to do a back-to-back weekend with operations already in place and running.

My wager is the cost of the ticket during pre-sale before knowing the lineup. (Yes, some years the lineup are better than others, but when has there been a BAD lineup? I'll take the chance of a bad lineup vs. not being able to get tix because of an expected fast sell-out.)

travelfan
06-01-2011, 09:14 AM
The more I think about it, the less I'm concerned.

First off, the headliners, reunions, ultra rare acts and Sahara big names...don't even worry about it. GV is not going to let that happen. Plus, if anything these names would be the most likely to do it...get paid a ton more and they don't NEED to be constantly touring, they can cool their heels in a five star hotel for a bit.

Everybody is worried about the smaller bands, but if the argument that Coachella is all about exposure holds true I think we're fine. I read somewhere that only the top tier bands break even after Coachella because of traveling costs, but they do it for exposure. If that's the motivation, then we should be good by logic.

For example, Yeasayer. They'd probably play the Mojave, which holds what, 7,000-8,000? So over two weekends they'd perform in front of 14,000-16,000 people. They recently played back to back nights to a sold out crowd in SF in a venue that holds about 900. So considerably they could play four shows a week for two weeks and get to about half their potential Coachella audience.

Of course if you end up being the Marina and the Diamonds of the year and are placed against Cut Copy and fill up 15% of the Gobi, maybe you storm out the second week but I bet GV has something in the contract saying you don't get paid unless you do both shows, because I mean duh.

When you factor in the fact that they are getting paid more (and traveling once) for two Coachellas, the travel costs are paid off and they might even break even and make a profit. And if the radius clause is eased up a bit, they can play other West Coast dates. To me this sounds completely feasible.

Plus, for rare acts and reunions, I would think the benefit of a two-day rare performance is that they could put some effort into creating something really special. While some acts might not be down, I could see others being more likely with this set-up.

Will we lose some acts that might have played otherwise? Sure, but we're not going to know which ones. I think I'm fine with this, if the lineup comes up looking like Pokemon Red/Blue then I'll strangle a ho, but until then I'm just gonna chill.

PotVsKtl
06-01-2011, 09:18 AM
You are ok with Arcade Fire dropping those balls twice? People weekend 2 are going to be all 'oh this is not so special' and then what Pot? THEN WHAT?!

I'm OK with you not contributing in a serious manner to the 40th thread on this topic.

baily
06-01-2011, 09:29 AM
The difficulties I see them running into are

1) people not buying tickets till the last minute because there are two shows that both offer 75,000 capacity.

2) what are they going to do if they only sell a total of 75,000 tickets for the combined two weekends? - move it back to one weekend?

I'm sure they already have some bands set and lined up. I'm sure they already worked on every angle and question that could possibly come up.

This seems a little too much of a money grab trying to double their profits. They may be a bit money hungry after raking in the cash and having a few weekends off.

In Indio, the city council was talking on the news today stating they had NOT approved the 2 weekend format YET....that GV jumped the gun on the announcement(as discussions were still ongoing). They may have some problems dealing with the city council if they don't finalize things with them before announcing them to the public. Local citizens that live in the area are not happy about this and are speaking up...as they are voters expect the city council to take action one way or another soon.

I see this double weekend not working out and they go back to the 3 day festival (one weekend) and raise the ticket prices. They can easily raise ticket prices 20-30 dollars and everyone will still pay.

BeaverCat
06-01-2011, 09:40 AM
I don't know if this has been posted here, because I don't feel like reading, but I heard somewhere that GV would make bands sign a contract that obligates them to return for the 2nd weekend.

Courtney
06-01-2011, 09:41 AM
1) people not buying tickets till the last minute because there are two shows that both offer 75,000 capacity.

Why would this be a problem? As long as people buy tickets eventually, it's just a small accounting difference and a little bit more interest in Goldenvoice's bank account if they buy tickets early.

2) what are they going to do if they only sell a total of 75,000 tickets for the combined two weekends? - move it back to one weekend?

Given that historically, they have not cancelled festival years due to low sales, I think it's unlikely that they would cancel or consolidate anything, and more likely that they would just take it into consideration for future planning.

In Indio, the city council was talking on the news today stating they had NOT approved the 2 weekend format YET....that GV jumped the gun on the announcement(as discussions were still ongoing). They may have some problems dealing with the city council if they don't finalize things with them before announcing them to the public. Local citizens that live in the area are not happy about this and are speaking up...as they are voters expect the city council to take action one way or another soon.

That's interesting. What about the agreement for the Big 4? They have already done three big festivals on the Empire Polo Fields this year, so it's not like substituting out the Big 4 with Coachella Redux is that different.

heart cooks brain
06-01-2011, 09:42 AM
they are going to sell way more than 75,000 tickets between the 2 weekends. my guess is right around 150,000.

Courtney
06-01-2011, 09:42 AM
I don't know if this has been posted here, because I don't feel like reading, but I heard somewhere that GV would make bands sign a contract that obligates them to return for the 2nd weekend.

Well yes, this seems pretty obvious. How else would they guarantee that both weekends will be the same?

Bud Luster
06-01-2011, 09:46 AM
That's interesting. What about the agreement for the Big 4? They have already done three big festivals on the Empire Polo Fields this year, so it's not like substituting out the Big 4 with Coachella Redux is that different.

A one day fest with 50,000 in attendance is much different than a 3 day fest with 75,000. I'm sure the locals weren't too happy about the Big 4 anyway.

heart cooks brain
06-01-2011, 09:49 AM
the big4 was a trial run for doublechella. that is obvious.

BeaverCat
06-01-2011, 10:04 AM
Well yes, this seems pretty obvious. How else would they guarantee that both weekends will be the same?

Free sandwiches if they come back the 2nd week...

nbvcide
06-01-2011, 10:04 AM

almost all the touring acts are on the west coast the week before or after, this early it would not be difficult to schedule tour dates accordingly.. second, it was pretty obvious they didn't have the radius clause this year as every fucking act played LA..

Then I was wondering what would happen if it rained one of these weekends. Then one weekend it's going to be sunny and the next weekend it's going to be LESS sunny and the bands aren't going to all want to play in the rain, they gonna be all like 'hey, last weekend it was all sunny and now this weekend it's like wet'. How is goldenvoice going to deal with rain and people and bands? I hope it doesn't rain but I have a feeling it's going to be possible cuz it never has really done it before at Coachella and now there are two instead of one so the odds just doubled.

Bad planning. I think.

yes, let's not have two coachellas in case of rain. which has never happened before.

are people really complaining about this?! who the fuck didn't want to be back on the polo field the weekend after coachella? you can't enjoy the festival knowing that others will be enjoying it the next weekend? too tired or sick to pull off both? man the fuck up bitches, i've been doing both weekends since 07, you whiny fucking pussies..

BeaverCat
06-01-2011, 10:05 AM
the big4 was a trial run for doublechella. that is obvious.

Did the Big 4 have the same number of attendees? 75K (don't know if that's the actual number)

nbvcide
06-01-2011, 10:05 AM
2ndly, Reading Festival/Leeds Festival has been pulling off what coachella is attempting for decades..

nbvcide
06-01-2011, 10:06 AM
Did the Big 4 have the same number of attendees? 75K (don't know if that's the actual number)

it was more like 50-55, strong numbers, but not a sell out..

jmaze
06-01-2011, 10:07 AM
I don't know how they are going to get acts to play the second week of Coachella if they have other obligations in other cities...

Oh wait...

There are these things called airplanes and they fly REALLY fucking fast. I mean, they can get from one side of the country to the other in the matter of hours. You can make it to the opposite side of the globe in less than 24 hours. It's happened before, I promise.

Erick Morillo charters his own jet, shit breath... I don't see Derrick Carter doing that...why? cause Morillo is a house music legend

ods..
06-01-2011, 10:09 AM
Erick Morillo charters his own jet, shit breath... I don't see Derrick Carter doing that...why? cause Morillo is a house music legend

You're literally a joke.

BeaverCat
06-01-2011, 10:12 AM
What if Lady Gaga headlines? Does that egg she gets carried in fly? Answer that Mr. "Aeronautic Science"!

GuyInTucson
06-01-2011, 10:13 AM

Wrong thread.

faxman75
06-01-2011, 10:16 AM
yes, let's not have two coachellas in case of rain. which has never happened before.

HAVE YOU EVER BEEN RAINED ON YOU ASSHOLE!! THE ODDS ARE GREATER NOW!!

I just wish Paul T would have thought of this. Instead Coachella is jumping the shark....

i'm sad. Paul T ruins Coachella every year.

heart cooks brain
06-01-2011, 10:17 AM

the point is, there were 3 huge events on the polo fields in consecutive weeks. they pulled it off. this will be fine.

MissingPerson
06-01-2011, 10:20 AM
2ndly, Reading Festival/Leeds Festival has been pulling off what coachella is attempting for decades..

No, it hasn't.

I'm amazed at how many people keep saying this, it's extraordinary. Reading/Leeds setup is almost exactly the opposite concept - it's two simultaneous festivals in two separate locations, with identical day-alternating line ups.

There is no festival I know of that has done what GV are planning to do.

sonofhal
06-01-2011, 10:22 AM

Same weekend, 2 different cities. 200 miles apart. NOT THE SAME.

(or what Gemma said).

Voodoo Hipster
06-01-2011, 10:25 AM

People who are pissed off/ worried about the gimmicks of Coachella, I fucking hate you. Coachella is not about the gimmick of balloons falling from the sky, Who the fuck cares if that kind of shit happens twice.

GuyInTucson
06-01-2011, 10:26 AM

I agree with your opinions in this thread, but this is not correct. They are in different locations and while they do share the same lineup, they go on simultaneously and the acts that play the one stage at Reading on friday, play at Leads on the same stage another day.

This is two different weekends at the same venue with the same lineup.

nbvcide
06-01-2011, 10:33 AM
You're literally a joke.

i hate when people use literally improperly.. for it to be literal he would have to be funny.

nbvcide
06-01-2011, 10:34 AM
HAVE YOU EVER BEEN RAINED ON YOU ASSHOLE!! THE ODDS ARE GREATER NOW!!

I just wish Paul T would have thought of this. Instead Coachella is jumping the shark....

i'm sad. Paul T ruins Coachella every year.

you're literally an idiot.

2nd, wet, rainy festivals are considered the world's best: Glasto, Bonnaroo, Sasquatch, Woodstock.

nbvcide
06-01-2011, 10:37 AM
I agree with your opinions in this thread, but this is not correct. They are in different locations and while they do share the same lineup, they go on simultaneously and the acts that play the one stage at Reading on friday, play at Leads on the same stage another day.

This is two different weekends at the same venue with the same lineup.

so you're saying that coachella #2 would have to be in OC the same weekend for my point of pulling off two festivals with the same lineup in the same general time frame in the same general geographical area to be relevant?

sonofhal
06-01-2011, 10:40 AM
It would have to be the same for you to claim it is the same and be factually correct.

nbvcide
06-01-2011, 10:41 AM
i never said it was the same, nor fact

but. the geographical area of socal lends itself to far more touring than Reading, UK.. bands can play AZ, vegas, san fran, san diego, santa cruz, portland, seattle, vancouver, and STILL play LA, since they obviously didn't have the radius clause last year (perhaps due to it being sold out anyway, which next year will obv do).. it's not like acts will be stifled by doing a west coast loop and returning the following weekend, hell that loop is how Seattle gets it's acts, bands that skip that loop dont' often play the pacific northwest.. unless they have canadian dates or play shit like idaho or utah, etc.

don't we attempt to "predict" the lineup every year by looking at tour dates the week before and the week after coachella?

GuyInTucson
06-01-2011, 10:48 AM
you're literally an idiot.

2nd, wet, rainy festivals are considered the world's best: Glasto, Bonnaroo, Sasquatch, Woodstock.

Is your sarcasm meter off or something?

MissingPerson
06-01-2011, 10:49 AM
You fairly clearly misunderstood the Reading/Leeds setup, and spoke about it with authority anyway dude. I dunno if you still haven't got a handle on it or if you're just being stubborn, but just own it and move on already man, sheesh.

People who are pissed off/ worried about the gimmicks of Coachella, I fucking hate you. Coachella is not about the gimmick of balloons falling from the sky, Who the fuck cares if that kind of shit happens twice.

If I can step in here -

Aside from being a visual gimmick, that kind of thing injects an experience with a unique, once-off energy that can't be repeated on cue. That's all part of what makes a live show special and distinct to just listening to a recording, or watching one of those creepy as fuck Chuck E. Cheese bands go through it's pre-programming motions.

The whole point of the Summer Into Dust project was to engage the crowd in an interactive experience and bring a new dimension to the show. Part of that, from Arcade Fire's point of view (http://www.arcadefire.com/blog/thank-you-coachella/), was finding out how the crowd would react, and even from the webcast you could see their excitement feeding back into their performance. Pulling the same stunt over and over, besides losing the element of surprise, would naturally seem more forced and calculated. Like, are Arcade Fire supposed to feign surprise every time?

Somebody else suggested that AF and CP could probably pull off two different shows on the two different weekends, and that would be neat, and sure nobody goes just for the gimmicks, but it makes sense to have misgivings about something that clearly had a positive impact on people's previous experiences.

nbvcide
06-01-2011, 11:00 AM
You fairly clearly misunderstood the Reading/Leeds setup, and spoke about it with authority anyway dude. I dunno if you still haven't got a handle on it or if you're just being stubborn, but just own it and move on already man, sheesh.

if you're referring to me, then you obviously don't know what you're talking about..

case in point:

No, it hasn't.

There is no festival I know of that has done what GV are planning to do.

Warped Tour. 2 dates in the same city. same lineup. same venue. different days. i'm pretty sure Ozzfest/Lolla, other touring festivals have done the same thing. and no matter how different Reading/Coachella are, they are far more similiar than saying that what Coachella is attempting has never been done before.. fuck Rockpalast festivals in europe do it too.. and don't give me, 'but that was 4 days apart, not 6'. fuck you. it's the same fucking thing dude.

Is your sarcasm meter off or something?

yeah, except he's not being sarcastic, sadly..

travelfan
06-01-2011, 11:00 AM
Can we just go to the fucking thing first before whining about how bands can't do two amazing sets or how the "magic" will be lost?

Trick Loves The Kids
06-01-2011, 11:01 AM
Go weekend one, problem solved

BeaverCat
06-01-2011, 11:04 AM

This

Gribbz
06-01-2011, 11:07 AM

There you have it. I can't wrap my head around the idea that the experience of weekend 1 won't be as fun/fulfilling because a different group of people are going to have the same experience a week later.

Comes off as selfish.

concertgoer
06-01-2011, 11:10 AM
There you have it. I can't wrap my head around the idea that the experience of weekend 1 won't be as fun/fulfilling because a different group of people are going to have the same experience a week later.

Comes off as selfish.

It really does and if people are really that hung up on that then they should go both weekends.

microcuts
06-01-2011, 11:19 AM
Warped Tour. 2 dates in the same city. same lineup. same venue. different days. i'm pretty sure Ozzfest/Lolla, other touring festivals have done the same thing. and no matter how different Reading/Coachella are, they are far more similiar than saying that what Coachella is attempting has never been done before.. fuck Rockpalast festivals in europe do it too.. and don't give me, 'but that was 4 days apart, not 6'. fuck you. it's the same fucking thing dude.

Warped/Lolla/Ozzfest were/are touring festivals so that's not even the same thing. The whole nature of those events were to bring a similar or identical show across the country. And none of those events had the sheer number of acts that Coachella has.

Regarding Rockpalast, if you're talking about Rockamring/Rockimpark that is the same situation as Reading/Leeds.

GuyInTucson
06-01-2011, 11:26 AM
yeah, except he's not being sarcastic, sadly..

:nono

yardbird
06-01-2011, 12:03 PM
They are not going to guarantee the lineup for both weekends.
I'm sure they will do everything possible to make sure the lineups are the same so people don't get butt hurt over it but things happen.

HunterGather
06-01-2011, 12:19 PM
This was my first thought about this! Most bands are touring and it will be a whole thing to get them to stay or come back to the same place.

Trick Loves The Kids
06-01-2011, 12:19 PM
Paul T ruins Coachella every year.

haha I love this...

you guys, I'm serious, this is SERIOUSLY the year when coachella will suck for everybody. TRUST ME.

brematale111
06-01-2011, 12:52 PM
That's what you always say, trick.

tigermilkboy
06-01-2011, 12:52 PM
They are not going to guarantee the lineup for both weekends.
I'm sure they will do everything possible to make sure the lineups are the same so people don't get butt hurt over it but things happen.

They don't need to guarantee the line-ups are the same...Leeds/Reading has occasionally had different headliners i.e. Guns N Roses in 2002 only played Leeds.
If it came to pass that a huge name wanted to play, but only one weekend then GV would be unlikely to refuse. I think getting 90% of the acts replicated on both weekends would be an amazing achievement.

Dede' Arneaux
06-01-2011, 01:53 PM

No they haven't. Its two festivals in two cities on one weekend. One called Reading the other called Leeds. The Bands travel from one to the other.

MissingPerson
06-01-2011, 01:59 PM
No no, read his posts in the meantime. Apparently he didn't mean exactly what he said and totally meant something different somehow.

kvnty
06-01-2011, 02:01 PM
they are going to sell way more than 75,000 tickets between the 2 weekends. my guess is right around 150,000.

1st weekend will sell out, maybe very quickly, too.

2nd weekend will take longer to sell out, maybe not even at all.

You heard it first.

kvnty
06-01-2011, 02:06 PM
i hate when people use literally improperly.. for it to be literal he would have to be funny.

LOL!

frizzlefry
06-01-2011, 05:25 PM
Second weekend is going to sell out, GV is going to book at least one or two big headliners to make sure of that. I think Tollet would be off his rocker if he thinks he can sell out two festivals without anything less than Stones headlining both weekends.

erselone
06-01-2011, 06:19 PM
I'm going both weekends!!!!!!! For all the bands I miss on weekend 1, I'll catch on weekend 2!!!!!! We all know there's conflicts that just doesn't allow us to see all the bands we want to see!!!!! 2 weekends of parrrrty.....shaaooow!!!!!

Bumblebee
06-01-2011, 06:24 PM
Second weekend is going to sell out, GV is going to book at least one or two big headliners to make sure of that. I think Tollet would be off his rocker if he thinks he can sell out two festivals without anything less than Stones headlining both weekends.

What big headliners under 60 likely to perform can move serious numbers of tickets other than possibly Radiohead? U2 played 100k in Socal in 2009 and will do so again 2011.

Mugwog
06-01-2011, 06:24 PM
First weekend will sell out due to presale fanatics like myself, and 2nd will sell out after everyone comes back from weekend one and say to the 5 people they know who didn't go:
"YOU MISSED OUT !!OMG!@! JESUS ROZE FROM THE DED W/ DAFT PUNK AND THEY BROUGHT BACK MICHAEL FROM THE GRAVE AND THEY DID MOONWALKER THE MOVIE"

Bumblebee
06-01-2011, 06:28 PM
First weekend will sell out due to presale fanatics like myself, and 2nd will sell out after everyone comes back from weekend one and say to the 5 people they know who didn't go:
"YOU MISSED OUT !!OMG!@! JESUS ROZE FROM THE DED W/ DAFT PUNK AND THEY BROUGHT BACK MICHAEL FROM THE GRAVE AND THEY DID MOONWALKER THE MOVIE"

Where do they stay if camping/hotels are sold out in advance of both weekends?

baily
06-02-2011, 07:01 AM

I agree

They are going to have to have some AMAZING headline acts to pull this one off. It'll have to be bands that people will be dying to see twice....not Arcade Fire or KOL.

They have their work cut out for them. I'm impressed with the undertaking of such a product. They could have easily kept things the same for eternity and been winners. Risk vs. Reward

NoNoAge
06-02-2011, 07:05 AM
Rolling Stones, Beyonce and Daft Punk. Justice subheadlining under Daft Punk.

M Sparks
06-02-2011, 09:21 AM

I saw Ghostland Observatory at Vegoose at 3pm on Sunday. They had played Voodoo in New Orleans at 8pm the night before.

Bumblebee
06-02-2011, 03:09 PM

How did airplanes work out for Cee-Lo's Coachella 2011 set?

DJs and groups with tiny gear/crew(ie: Matt & Kim) can get around easier, but anything with several members/crew/gear/production would have LETHAL bills from airlines if they tried crossing the US twice in the week inbetween.

The Tollett interview shows that he only asked agents if they wanted to make close to twice as much for a festival and didn't think riplle effects for other westcoastr promoters. 150+ touring acts in the Vancouver-Phoenix corridor in a 3 week span. Better be lots of triple bills in every city during that time span.

GuyInTucson
06-02-2011, 03:15 PM
How did airplanes work out for Cee-Lo's Coachella 2011 set?

What does this have to do with his specific discussion. That's on Cee-Lo, not GV nor does it really pertain to what we are really discussing here.

DJs and groups with tiny gear/crew(ie: Matt & Kim) can get around easier, but anything with several members/crew/gear/production would have LETHAL bills from airlines if they tried crossing the US twice in the week inbetween.

Who said they have to cross long distances? Most acts that play Coachella that are touring end up playing cities nearby around the dates of the festival.

The Tollett interview shows that he only asked agents if they wanted to make close to twice as much for a festival and didn't think riplle effects for other westcoastr promoters. 150+ touring acts in the Vancouver-Phoenix corridor in a 3 week span. Better be lots of triple bills in every city during that time span.

Again, I don't think getting acts to commit to two shows at the same venue in consecutive weeks is going to be as difficult as some make it out to be. The pool of talent to choose from is very large and they have a very long time to work everything out.

travelfan
06-02-2011, 05:28 PM

Spokenwordchella

Bumblebee
06-03-2011, 03:41 AM
Who said they have to cross long distances? Most acts that play Coachella that are touring end up playing cities nearby around the dates of the
festival.

Again, I don't think getting acts to commit to two shows at the same venue in consecutive weeks is going to be as difficult as some make it out to be. The pool of talent to choose from is very large and they have a very long time to work everything out.

There's now 150+ touring acts on the west coast for over 3 weeks with the in-between week being near mandatory.

I think GV can book the acts, but competition between acts/venues/promoters away from the festival that month should have some ripple effects. Plus 80% of those show have to be on weekedays.

Coachella Bound
06-03-2011, 08:10 AM
please stop...

just stop, you have no experience in what your talking about. There are far too many factors in this to comprehend. If you don't think bands arnt jumping at the opportunity to be involved w/ this your crazy.... Twice the pay,twice the exposure, and what.... They get to hang in southern cal for a week, or tour various other citys and venues in and around california. The idea is a win win for everyone.....

MissingPerson
06-03-2011, 08:34 AM
No, it's not. Not necessarily, anyway. You're pinning a bunch of touring bands down to a limited area for a limited window. You're asking bands to grind their caravan to a halt for a week in an area where accommodation, venues etc will be at a premium, and to take money and time from their budget and schedule to do so. Which is fine for big acts, but a big ask for some of the smaller and mid-tier ones who can't exactly charter a jet to resolve the problem and aren't necessarily in a position to fight it out with their peers to split audience share if they want to pay their way in "local" shows in the meantime. I say "local", because I'm assuming the exclusion clauses aren't going to relax with the new set up.

Like somebody else said, it's hard to figure out exactly how it will play out so far in advance. There's too many variables on all sides.

bemerritt
06-03-2011, 08:36 AM
One thing is for sure, there is plenty of acts to plan around this. Paul saying that flexibility in the clause would/will be talked about at length with each artist gives everyone a chance. you get the week before, you get the week after, etc...

DaFunkyPrecedent
06-03-2011, 09:29 AM
Is a Broadway play any less good one weekend from the next. It's all an act already people...there's very little spontaneity at these festivals. It's set up, staged and presented to us...just like a play.

I'm going the second weekend FOR SURE. There's gonna be way less people.

Coachella Bound
06-03-2011, 10:23 AM
Is a Broadway play any less good one weekend from the next. It's all an act already people...there's very little spontaneity at these festivals. It's set up, staged and presented to us...just like a play.

I'm going the second weekend FOR SURE. There's gonna be way less people.

and way less grass...

CocoTronz
06-03-2011, 12:30 PM
paul T does not like black people!

Ravingmad
06-03-2011, 01:01 PM
it's going to be all the same except for a handful of no-name bottom billing acts

and there's going to be one guy who is really pissed that the line-up in the Do Lab or the Dome is slightly different the second week and is going to make a thousand threads all WHAT THE FUCK GV DAMN YOU PAUL TOILET

Bumblebee
06-03-2011, 01:04 PM
One thing is for sure, there is plenty of acts to plan around this. Paul saying that flexibility in the clause would/will be talked about at length with each artist gives everyone a chance. you get the week before, you get the week after, etc...

How many acts from 2011 played proper sized in LA in the weeks before/after the festival?

I don't mean stuff like Big Audio Dynamite playing to 300-400 people at the Roxy with tickets going for a couple hundred of craigslist.

Bumblebee
06-03-2011, 02:03 PM
please stop...

just stop, you have no experience in what your talking about. There are far too many factors in this to comprehend. If you don't think bands arnt jumping at the opportunity to be involved w/ this your crazy.... Twice the pay,twice the exposure, and what.... They get to hang in southern cal for a week, or tour various other citys and venues in and around california. The idea is a win win for everyone.....

Will any media show up for weekend #2? Upcoming acts will only get the same level media exposure as previous years even if they perform to more eyeballs over 2 weekends.

I also wonder what they will do with the webcasting. #1 only? #2 only? 50/50? Both?

concertgoer
06-03-2011, 02:16 PM
I hope they do a webcast for weekend 2

arsgunner
06-03-2011, 04:17 PM
Will any media show up for weekend #2? Upcoming acts will only get the same level media exposure as previous years even if they perform to more eyeballs over 2 weekends.

I also wonder what they will do with the webcasting. #1 only? #2 only? 50/50? Both?

its fuckin 11 months away..who cares about media coverage for week 2

jmaze
06-03-2011, 04:49 PM
What does this have to do with his specific discussion. That's on Cee-Lo, not GV nor does it really pertain to what we are really discussing here.

Who said they have to cross long distances? Most acts that play Coachella that are touring end up playing cities nearby around the dates of the festival.

He has spoken...he is never wrong...

except for the fact that Morillo is a legend...

I just owned you so fucking bad it hurts!!!! yeah

ialvarado2
06-04-2011, 08:36 AM

I usually like to drop my balls more than once

Coachella Bound
06-04-2011, 08:53 AM

media coverage....? Coachella is an opportunity for fans like us to discover new bands, who the fuck cares about media coverage.

Thats what small bands care about as well.... Look at festivals like SXSW, bands come from all over to hang for the week, not just for their set. Not only is Coachella a big time festival its also now becoming a prime spot for networking as well. Think of Palm Springs as somewhat of a Western Music Conference in the week between.

Think about monthly venue resident bands, artists who play the same exact venue, on the same exact day each week for a month....

i cant think of any situation where a band is going to be objective to this idea, and if so im sure Paul and GV have plenty of bands to substitute in the place of those that do.

kananilove
06-10-2011, 08:27 AM
GV has the money and the power. and like others mentioned, indio, super close to la and vegas and other venues. do some shows in between the two weekends. the headers may not be as promising as usual but everything will all work out in the end.

kroqken
06-10-2011, 02:03 PM
Coachella is so epic, it shines through even if the media were too busy covering Anthony Weiner.

tchuess
06-11-2011, 09:45 AM
I think it's *possible* that they have a major surprise for us for at least one of the headliners...I'm thinking something like Zeppelin, or Pink Floyd, or the Stones...something that would instantly double the number of people who want to attend. Just a theory, but think about it: if they announced a Pink Floyd reunion show at Coachella, they would have NO problem selling out both weekends. People would show up for them and nothing else.

Michelle760
06-11-2011, 09:52 AM
Lol. Rain.? At coachella.? That's funny. Since I have lived here it has never rained in April. Only feburary n sometimes march but never April

PepeO
06-11-2011, 11:26 AM
Pink Floyd...mark my words. No actually I have no fucken clue but that would be sweet so I'm gonna submit my request to the Universe now......sent! Also...weekend 2 is gonna rock slightly more than weekend 1...just sensed it, Universe told me so....

Bumblebee
06-11-2011, 12:24 PM
Pink Floyd...mark my words. No actually I have no fucken clue but that would be sweet so I'm gonna submit my request to the Universe now......sent! Also...weekend 2 is gonna rock slightly more than weekend 1...just sensed it, Universe told me so....

FWIW, Roger Waters is rumoured to have South American dates in February 2012.

Interestingly, the press release for upcoming PF album reissues referred to Division Bell as "the latest PF album to date".

kvnty
06-11-2011, 10:10 PM
Lol. Rain.? At coachella.? That's funny. Since I have lived here it has never rained in April. Only feburary n sometimes march but never April

Would have killed someone in front of my own mother for a little rain this year. It was so fucking hot!

Have to be better prepared for heat in 2012, have to be more prepared for heat in 2012, have to ...

TickleMeElmo
06-11-2011, 10:18 PM
Would have killed someone in front of my own mother for a little rain this year. It was so fucking hot!

It's felt way hotter in the past. This year's heat was a cake walk for me.

kvnty
06-12-2011, 05:44 PM
It's felt way hotter in the past. This year's heat was a cake walk for me.

You're so right, and I'm so wrong. It wasn't hot at all this year. 100 degrees in the shade is a cake walk. Well, you are from Alaska.

travelfan
06-12-2011, 08:35 PM
I'm actually pretty sure the vast majority of the lineup will be identical. What I'm really not confident about is that the schedule will be the same. I'm really wondering if the three day poster format will still be used, or if it will be just one big list of names like the other big festivals. Could easily see bands playing different days despite the fact that they are playing both weekends.

nathanfairchild
06-12-2011, 10:07 PM
You're so right, and I'm so wrong. It wasn't hot at all this year. 100 degrees in the shade is a cake walk. Well, you are from Alaska.

be thankful it isn't humid at coachella. bonnaroo's heat had me begging for chella's.

n3glect
06-13-2011, 08:03 AM

It was hot, but past years have gotten up to 115. I think Elmo is referencing the Sundays of 1999 and 2004, which were exceptionally horrible.

faxman75
06-13-2011, 08:10 AM
It was hot, but past years have gotten up to 115. I think Elmo is referencing the Sundays of 1999 and 2004, which were exceptionally horrible.

115 for Coachella? I'm calling bullshit. I don't tink it's ever been anywhere near that. I don't think it's even been 105.

Boourns
06-13-2011, 08:58 AM
It was 110 in 2004

grannock
06-13-2011, 09:35 AM
I'm slightly worried about the legacy of this amazing Fest. Roo has already turned to shit, I hope it doesn't happen to Chella.

faxman75
06-13-2011, 09:51 AM
It was 110 in 2004

Source or was this word of mouth?

May 1st 2004 99 degrees
May 2nd 2004 103 degrees

http://www.almanac.com/weather/history/zipcode/92201/2004-05-02

Boourns
06-13-2011, 10:25 AM
Some newspaper

jefferie
06-13-2011, 10:56 AM
Saturday of 07 felt like 110 I remember being told it was 105 that day.

Edit: 103 according to this

http://169.237.140.1/calludt.cgi/WXDATAREPORT

venturas90sgirl
06-14-2011, 10:46 AM
From what I read 04 and 07 were the hottest years (being that it was held first weekend in May). This year was a little brutal but the highest was 100 in Saturday.

Boourns
06-14-2011, 11:04 AM
Last year's weather was perfect.