PDA

View Full Version : Fitchella 2012 It's GO TIME!

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8

TommyboyUNM
08-02-2011, 02:58 PM
I'm not entirely sure what I'm trying to achieve. My mindset changes on a daily basis, and sometimes a few times throughout the day. When I get the urge to have food that's probably bad for me, I just say "fuck it" because I'm active and not fat. But then I think that maybe I workout too much to only maintain my weight and my look.

I guess the only definite goal I have, on the workout front, is to increase my muscle mass a little bit. Hence, the weight lifting.

rskapcat
08-02-2011, 03:03 PM
I would guess that you need to up your protein intake, but I'm sure some of the dudes in this thread will have more concrete advice on building muscle mass than me.

TommyboyUNM
08-02-2011, 03:09 PM
I don't want to look like a bodybuilder, or even anything close to that. I'm talking something more subtle. I've already seen results with weight lifting, so I'm not too worried. If I start to plateau then maybe I'll think about protein intake.

amyzzz
08-02-2011, 03:45 PM
I've gone back to my old stand-by of South Beach, stairs, and abs exercises (with a small ball) to try to get rid of my tummy. I hope I don't lose too much weight -- I just want the belly to go away. Perhaps I should lift tiny weights too.

chiapet
08-02-2011, 03:49 PM
If you're happy with how you look and the results you're getting, why change what you're doing? But you're right that eating healthy snacks during the day will probably help. I was having very good luck with the 4-5 "meals" concept, by dinner I was not very hungry at all. It's much easier to treat yourself and stay on track if you're not famished. One rich, delicious thing might satisfy you enough. I also was finding that I was just not able to eat dessert. Wasn't hungry at all.

But in general I feel like... you only live once, if cutting out the treats you love lessens your daily enjoyment of your life -- and they weren't really causing any problem for your health or your self-image -- why would you go without them?

TommyboyUNM
08-02-2011, 03:49 PM
I'm imagining Amy lifting little thumbtack-sized weights. It's adorable.

fatbastard
08-02-2011, 03:59 PM
Yesterday was arghh difficult. More difficult than it should have been. Just walking to the gym from my apartment had me dripping in sweat because it was humid. I did a mile but it was pathetic and it took me 14 minutes. I felt like I had 20 pound weights attached to my shins or something. I was going to follow it up with 2 mileson the elliptical but that was taken so I did 15 minutes or so on the stationary bike. I followed that up with about 50-60 crunches. I went to do push ups and realized that in the last 3.5 months i've injured both of my thumbs. My right thumb at Coachella doing a cartwheel which feels pretty much completely healed but a ton of pressure causes pain. I messed up my other thumb/palm in Vegas a few weeks ago so it appears I can't do push ups.

For dinner I had baked chicken wings and diet coke. Then I had a tortilla with peanut butter later in the evening. That was pretty bad.

Today at work I have had 2 bananas, 2 snack bags of Mr. Nature Energizer mix (unsalted nuts and dried fruit). For lunch I had a fillet of salmon and green beans with real butter. Dinner will likely be chicken legs and broccoli. I will do at least 30 min. on the elliptical after work and 15 on either the the treadmill or bike. I have also been drinking a good amount of water. The diet coke is very rare and I am going to be back to nothing but water pretty soon. I'm also going to quit drinking for the next week or two.

Look Faxy. I've been reading a heck of a lot more than I've been posting lately. I'm always in this thread. You write down everything your doing and just pisses me off that I'm eating french fries saying that I'll start watching what I eat starting "tomorrow".

You have been quite inspiring over the past few months to me. Don't fuck it up! You've worked too hard to get where you're at. Please do not fuck it up.

I'll start working out again one of these days.

faxman75
08-02-2011, 07:18 PM
ha ha alright fatbastard. I am starting to feel better already. Todays workout was just over 2 miles on the elliptical and 55 or so crunches. I went until I felt that burn in the stomach muscles. I just ate 2 legs and 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts with green beans for dinner and a diet coke. Today has been a success, now I have to make sure I don't fuck it up in the next 3 hours or so before bed. :)

kreutz2112
08-03-2011, 12:15 PM
Here's a link to that Eric Prydz set I talked about. I've been listening to this for the past 3 months every time I work out. I don't seem to get tired of the same thing when I work out. In fact, the repetition and knowing exactly where I am in the set and in my workout makes it easier.

http://hulkshare.com/79qma359hd95

(click on the Download icon that says HulkShare.com under it, just to the right).

hawkingvsreeve
08-03-2011, 12:25 PM
I was just scrolling down to ask you to post that.

SOULMATESSSSSSSS

I want to see that show. It's silly peak hour dance stuff but it looked fun on youtube.

kreutz2112
08-03-2011, 12:26 PM
Chest slap. Ass bump.

faxman75
08-03-2011, 12:28 PM
Here's a link to that Eric Prydz set I talked about. I've been listening to this for the past 3 months every time I work out. I don't seem to get tired of the same thing when I work out. In fact, the repetition and knowing exactly where I am in the set and in my workout makes it easier.

http://hulkshare.com/79qma359hd95

(click on the Download icon that says HulkShare.com under it, just to the right).

Thanks i'll give this a go this week.

faxman75
08-04-2011, 09:30 AM
1 mile on the treadmill a bit slower than i'm used to which frustrates me a little. 13.5 minutes. I know I can do 11 minute miles and my goal has been getting to 10 minute miles but it's just going to take me a bit of time which is alright. I did 1 mile on the elliptical as well and those are just under 13 minutes at level 7. I also did 60 crunches.

I really need to get back to doing my morning jog. I really noticed a difference in how I felt throughout the day and with how much more weight I was losing by exercising at two different times a day. My diet is getting closer to back on track as well. Today 2 bananas and some raw almonds for breakfast. Lunch is a salad and an orange. Probably some yogurt in the afternoon. I have a final exam tonight so I probably won't work out but i'll be back at it tomorrow and throughout the weekend.

EastLos01
08-04-2011, 11:31 AM
18lbs so far... I know the number on the scale isn't whats important, but it feels good seeing it. Long Gone are my days of soft drinks and overeating. I feel I've made a smooth transition into my new eating habits. I don't even feel guilty for the spicy pie I had at L.A. Rising cuz of all the sweating that was done in the pits during Rise Against and Rage. Gotta get my cardio in somewhere right? lol. I'm determined to leave a good looking corpse. lol.

Faxy you might want to do leg lifts in addition to your crunches. Lay flat on your back and lift your legs straight up. bring them down slowly and stop a couple inches before they reach the ground. hold there for 5 to 10 seconds, and lift again. repeat these work your lower abs... the part the regular crunches cant work.

faxman75
08-05-2011, 12:10 PM
I was doing that as part of my stretches recently so i'll be sure to start doing sets of those leg lifts. I'm still in the process of trying to refocus. I didn't exercise or eat great yesterday but that was somewhat intentional and planned. I'm doing well today and i've been antsy all day at work to get into the gym or something. I just have a lot of energy right now so when I get home i'll be doing the treadmill and elliptical as well as sit ups and leg lifts. I will be exercising all weekend too and I really need to get back to twice a day. More importantly my morning jog. I feel that morning jog is the key to my success. I love starting with that great post jog feeling. It wakes me up and I have energy to get me through it all and then to come home after work and do another 20-30 minutes is perfect. Must. Get. Back. To. Morning. Jog. Tomorrow damn it! I'll make this happen. I probably need to listen to my Tony Robbins tape again lol.

fatbastard
08-06-2011, 05:04 AM
I'm going to walk around for 2 hours today. Nothing else matters. Well, I may try and eat a couple of healthy meals.

faxman75
08-06-2011, 08:47 AM
Yesterday, 2 miles elliptical and .5 miles treadmill. 50 crunches and 20 leg lifts. This morning I jogged 1 mile. Later today i'll do 2 miles on the elliptical as well. The diet is much improved. This week has been successful. I exercisted 5 out of 6 days and tightened up on my diet in the last couple of days.

ThatGirl
08-06-2011, 08:56 AM
I'm dancing 4 or 5 days a week right now in class, and it's helping me lean out a bit from some of the weight I put on over holidays. I've been eating pretty clean.. it's amazing when I take alcohol out of the diet completely, you can see it in my face. Not as puffy, leaner, my eyes look better too. Even taking out that glass or two of wine over dinner really makes a difference. However yesterday being Friday that whole effort got shot out the window!

Faxman you are doing awesome with all your efforts. I have to say you are committed.

guedita
08-06-2011, 11:19 AM
The bad news is that I have to have ACL surgery in the beginning of October; the good news is my meniscus isn't damaged so my doctor has given me clearance to start doing non-impact exercise (swimming, biking, walking, maybe jogging) and strength training once my severe bone bruising goes away.

fatbastard
08-07-2011, 07:35 AM
Walked for 2 hours yesterday morning and danced for an hour last night. Leaving the house to walk another hour this morning. 2nd day without a cigarette.

chiapet
08-07-2011, 08:38 AM
That's great, FB!! :)

EastLos01
08-07-2011, 12:19 PM
Sorry to hear about your surgery but awesome how you're staying positive about it. That helps the recovery time for sure. Stay positive and you know if ya need any reinforcement you can find it here.

FB... Day 2 will turn into 30 into 90.

I need to start walking in the morning instead of just trying to squeeze in extra sleep.

faxman75
08-07-2011, 12:54 PM
Welcome back people. I second what Los said Cara. Sucks about the surgery but your taking the reality of it and making adjustments and have a great attitude.

I think my slump is over. I feel really great again and even though I only slept for 3.5 hours last night, i'm full of energy and just did 2.3 miles on the elliptical about 60 crunches and several leg lifts. I'm really enjoying the elliptical, it's easier than jogging and the treadmill and I find i'm not as focused on breathing as I am on moving faster and more efficiently. This week I plan on doing my mile jog in the morning again as much as I really dislike it I think the benefits of exercising at two different day parts are well worth it and it's less than 15 minutes so there really is no excuse.

Adam, thanks again for the the Prydz. I'm really enjoying it the more I listen to it. I've listened to it in 30 minute segments on a few different occasions. I even liked the Depeche Mode drop in it. It's hard not to enjoy hearing that cut.

Thanks ThatGirl and congrats on making those changes fatbastard and you KNOW you are capable of sustaining them!

fatbastard
08-07-2011, 08:18 PM
Thanks for the support.

Took a 3 hour nap today. Not used to being outside during the day. Landed up walking for 2 hours today. Took the the MTA art walk yesterday and today. Some sitting and some walking. Going to take a bath and a couple of asprin tonight. Not feeling too good right now, but things should be better by tomorrow.

RageAgainstTheAoki
08-07-2011, 08:43 PM
I just arrived in St. Paul for a biz trip. Totally ordered room service and totally redeemed the complimentary dessert offer. Hey, it's been a long day. And besides, dropped another 4 lbs in the last week. This pair of jeans which a month ago were too tight for me to button are now falling off my ass. Maybe after this creme brulee that won't be the case...

faxman75
08-09-2011, 09:20 AM
Feeling really good. It was interesting being sore yesterday like I had been in a car wreck. I'm not sure if it was all the stretching I did as I have finally started to stretch good before and after workouts or if it was the drunken fence jumping, swimming and bowling on Saturday night but it felt like a good workout soreness. Anyway, I am really liking the elliptical machine. I feel like i'm getting a hell of a workout on it. I have the resistance set at 6, I do 2.3 miles in about 30 minutes (13 min. mile). I also did about 60 crunches and 10 or so leg lifts.

Today I got in a morning jog. It was slower than I wanted but I figure working up a good sweat and jogging a mile before work is better than not doing it. It's taking me almost 15 minutes on that mile which is 4mph but i'm not going to worry about time when i'm just getting back into the swing of things. Luckily it wasn't too hot this morning either.

I also am forcing myself to eat a bigger breakfast. My huge downfall is night time eating and i'm thinking if I eat more during the day i'm less likely to fall off the wagon at night. After the jog I scrambled up two eggs and added a teaspoon of salsa and ate that before work. Now it's 9:16 and I haven't even had a banana or any raw almonds yet so that's a good sign. I'm going to snack on those now. Lunch is steak and green beans. Dinner will be chicken legs and green beans. I also don't have any more cereal, I think I just needed to stop buying it and if I get a late night craving I should have a peice of fruit and that's that. Unfortunately I knew this 6 months ago but this has been a hard habit to get into.

I figure I can start hiking again in October which is fine as long as I can stick to a nice jog in the morning, elliptical and core at night and eat right most of the time. I am back to exercising every single day as well. I've only skipped last Thursday out of the last 8 days. We'll see if I can continue that while in Cali this weekend for concerts at the Hollywood Bowl. I think I can, i've done it before, I just need to prepare and plan on getting it in.

psychic friend
08-09-2011, 01:37 PM
I do an hour on the elliptical most mornings. that plus treadmill walking on weekends. and now I am trying to add in an additional 1/2 hour a couple days a week at night. I also like it better than running or the treadmill. I sweat more but I can breath without panting/gasping for breath. I am currently about 7 incline 8 resistance. Its about 5.5 or more miles in an hour. I like it. I like how I feel the rest of the day.

chiapet
08-10-2011, 08:11 AM
Oh, what the hell. I feel bad posting in here since I've been off the bandwagon for months, but I've resolved myself to start working out 3 times a week again.

Here is now, I'd like to lose 30 lbs before next Coachella.

(Yea I don't know what kind of face I'm making -- photo taking was interrupted in the work restroom :) ).

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6075/6029429524_3609bb8060.jpg

ThatGirl
08-10-2011, 08:16 AM
Oh, what the hell. I feel bad posting in here since I've been off the bandwagon for months, but I've resolved myself to start working out 3 times a week again.

Here is now, I'd like to lose 30 lbs before next Coachella.

(Yea I don't know what kind of face I'm making -- photo taking was interrupted in the work restroom :)

Good for you Chia!! You can do it girl!!!

fatbastard
08-10-2011, 08:53 AM
This is the thread to throw your goals in. 30 pounds is going to be alot of work. Be lucky you only have 2 chins, because you wanna cry when you have 4. I know.

fatbastard
08-10-2011, 08:57 AM
Oh, I need a couple of recommendations of some type of lifts or something to do in addition to walking. Just understand, I ain't going to be doing 7,000 push ups like Westy. Sitting on my ass and trying to touch my toes for 20 seconds kind of exercise.

faxman75
08-10-2011, 09:00 AM
You can do it Heidi, that much we know!!

My goal was 100 pounds by Coachella and I started last December. I'm a little less than halfway. I'm not sure if i'll make it but I know i'll be very fucking happy if i'm even close to it. :)

Yesterday I did the elliptical while talking to my mechanic on the phone. It wasn't ideal and the workout was definitely not as good as usual but I still did over 2 miles in 30 minutes and burned a bunch of calories. I also did my 60 sit ups and 10 or so leg lifts. Dinner was chicken legs and I had some grapes and lo carb tortilla with cheese and salsa. Overslept this morning so no jog. Fail.

Short term goal for me. Lose 25 pounds by Thanksgiving aka Eurotrip. That gives me about 11 or so weeks.

EastLos01
08-10-2011, 09:09 AM
Oh, I need a couple of recommendations of some type of lifts or something to do in addition to walking. Just understand, I ain't going to be doing 7,000 push ups like Westy. Sitting on my ass and trying to touch my toes for 20 seconds kind of exercise.

It all depends on what part of your body you're trying to work on... No joke sitting on your ass and trying to touch your toes for 20 seconds is a great start if youve never excercised. you see how much easier and easier it becomes then you WANT to do more... Journey of a thousand miles type thing...

Chia, Thats awesome. Goals are Very important...more important, once you reach them, set others...

100 lbs is what I'm striving for Faxy and I'm about 20% there... I feel I havent plataued(sp?) yet so I want to see how I will react when I do.

I've cut coffee out of my life and added green tea. Great reaction to it. I highly recommend it. especially at work.

EastLos01
08-10-2011, 11:09 AM
This was just e-mailed to the staff by my boss in his weekly motivational e-mail. I thought it fit perfectly in here...

"If we do not consciously create a good habit, we will unconsciously create a bad habit."

Keith J. Cunningham

chiapet
08-10-2011, 11:29 AM
Yea, I feel very confident with my goal though. I'm not saying it will be really easy, but it shouldn't be difficult provided I actually follow through on it.

Something I am really happy about is that I lost 25 lbs earlier this year, and have not gained it back... even though I have not been exercising and haven't been following a diet. The only two thing I've been strict about is refined carbs - have had very little pasta, rice, bread, and have been trying to eat almost only whole grains.

EastLos01
08-10-2011, 03:04 PM
Yea, I feel very confident with my goal though. I'm not saying it will be really easy, but it shouldn't be difficult provided I actually follow through on it.

The way I look at it is if you keep on looking at a scale, Its like looking at your watch every 5 minutes... Its not gonna make time go by faster and it makes time drag on... If you're going for a specific weight, do what you need to do, and check about once a week to see your progress and adjust accordingly. That's worked for me up till now.

25 is very do-able by April, and I'm sure you will accomplish it. but remaining healthy is more important than anything. :)

RageAgainstTheAoki
08-15-2011, 09:23 PM
So uhh... silence. I wonder if that means we all found the hidden cookie jar. My excuse is I was trapped in St. Paul all last week and now, it's Monday at 9:15 and I'm still at the office. What's yours? ; )

EastLos01
08-16-2011, 08:24 AM
Partied all weekend and bar-b-q'd on sunday. Got back to "running" again last night. felt good this morning when I woke up. I'll never underestimate my daily water intake again. Makes a huge difference when I dont drink my normal amount. bottles 1 and 2 already done this morning. :)

EastLos01
08-16-2011, 08:26 AM
BTW, dont know if this would be the thread to ask in, but I just got into drinking Green Tea. Does anyone have any other recommendations for a good tea?

ThatGirl
08-16-2011, 08:57 AM
BTW, dont know if this would be the thread to ask in, but I just got into drinking Green Tea. Does anyone have any other recommendations for a good tea?

My mom drinks about 500 mls of green tea every day, and she has this tremor in her hand. Dad says its because she's getting older but I think she's tripping out on the caffeine. It has really boosted her metabolism though - she keeps her weight off. Green or Black tea are both really good for that. I think she drinks either Chinese or Japanese type.

chiapet
08-16-2011, 09:08 AM
Yea I'm back to avoiding this thread because I've absolutely not been dieting or exercising. :)

EastLos01
08-16-2011, 09:10 AM
My mom drinks about 500 mls of green tea every day, and she has this tremor in her hand. Dad says its because she's getting older but I think she's tripping out on the caffeine. It has really boosted her metabolism though - she keeps her weight off. Green or Black tea are both really good for that. I think she drinks either Chinese or Japanese type.

Thanks, ill head to Chinatown this weekend see if they recommend anything in particular. I keep it to one in the morning, and one in the late afternoon. Metabolism is def getting kicked into gear for sure. Helps out when I'm debating on either jogging, or just sittin around and watching TV.

EastLos01
08-16-2011, 09:11 AM
Yea I'm back to avoiding this thread because I've absolutely not been dieting or exercising. :)

Come on Chia.... Peer Pressure...Peer Pressure.... Peer Pressure. :)

ThatGirl
08-16-2011, 09:12 AM

I come back to read Faxman's posts so I can get inspired to do as much as he does. I'm still dancing 3-4 days a week so it's helping but in terms of eating I'm completely off the wagon.

EastLos01
08-16-2011, 09:15 AM
I come back to read Faxman's posts so I can get inspired to do as much as he does.

I second this. This is why I started coming on here, but its all of you that have inspired me to keep coming back, and get back on the horse when I fall off.

rskapcat
08-16-2011, 09:19 AM
I'm back on WW, but I didn't track what I ate/drank over the weekend. Decided to go ahead and track everything today. HAHAHAHA. I should be a cautionary tale to other WW members. Wow.

Back on track today. I'll assess the damage at the weigh-in this weekend and keep on truckin'.

faxman75
08-16-2011, 09:21 AM
I've been doing pretty damn good lately. I've stayed away from the scale for now but in the last 14 days I think i've only missed 2 days of exercise. I've only gotten take out from the buffet once which is definitely cutting back and i'm eating healthier during the day. In a moment of weakness I did purchase a six pack of cream soda that was on sale at the grocery store. A mistake as i've gone through two bottles a day the last two days. I did 30 minutes on the elliptical on Friday before driving to Hollywood. Saturday morning I hiked Runyon. Sunday I did not exercise but yesterday I did my 30 minutes on the elliptical. I'm still doing 60 crunches and some leg lifts with every work out as well. I'm about to increase that to 100. Tonight I will grocery shop and be prepared for the upcoming weeks. I'm currently on summer break from school which is a welcome break but I start back up next week with new classes. I have temporarily given up on the morning jog but it's only temporary I hope. I cut out alcohol for a little bit but it will be back in less than 2 weeks.

I have some more travel coming up. August 26th i'm going to Chicago for the weekend and i'll be able to use my moms treadmill in the mornings. The following weekend i'll be in Vegas for Labor Day and hope to use the gym though i'm staying at The Cosmopolitan and have a feeling it will cost me $20 or more for that exercise and the weekend after that i'll be back in Hollywood for a concert. I'm definitely in the habit now of preparing for exercise when I travel. I bring clothes and shoes for it and usually have at least a rough idea of where and when i'll be able to fit it in. I'm also pretty good at watching what I eat while traveling too. For instance on Saturday I had a sushi (volcano) roll for dinner. It was enough, filling oh and delicious of course. I'm glad I got over that slump in July. I was really falling back into a lot of old habits and feeling like shit for it. I feel so much better when I exercise.

Finally, I have been trying to eat more during the day to avoid eating and snacking too much at night. I do this by either eating a couple of eggs in the morning before work or adding a bit to lunch. So far so good. I have cut out my cereal snack habit so that's a win! I couldn't kick that forever. I won't quite celebrate yet since this will only be the second grocery visit in which I didn't buy any cereal but now my late night snack is usually a bit of fruit or a low carb tortilla with some cheese on it. Much better than 2 giant bowls of cereal right before bedtime.

Los, that's awesome that you are shooting for 100 pounds as well. That's a huge number but it's just a number and if we keep these good habits going that weight will just keep dropping! I might not meet my goal by Coachella 2012 but I know no matter what i'll be a bit lighter at the next Coachella than I am now and as long as I keep going in that direction there is no reason to put a time limit on how long it takes. Establishing and maintaining the habits is more important. :)

faxman75
08-16-2011, 09:24 AM
I come back to read Faxman's posts so I can get inspired to do as much as he does. I'm still dancing 3-4 days a week so it's helping but in terms of eating I'm completely off the wagon.

That made me smile really big. I hope I never abandon this thread for your sake and mine. :) I'm in it to win it! Life that is.

EastLos01
08-16-2011, 10:08 AM
Yeah faxy, Its not only to drop the 100 but once I do that, I wanna gain back about 10-15 of muscle. knamean? I'll be in Vegas labor day weekend also, we should grab a lo carb drink. lol.

faxman75
08-16-2011, 10:23 AM
Ha, that's all I drink is low carb drinks. SF Red Bull / Vodka. I'll be all over the place that weekend but freel free to hit me up. I'm going with a big group of people.

bmack86
08-16-2011, 10:25 AM
After a few months of indulging in my inner fat man, I'm going to shoot for some serious fitness again. In all my indulgence I didn't gain any weight, but now I'm shooting to start shedding it again. Going for a hike in Griffith in a bit.

psychic friend
08-16-2011, 01:20 PM
1/2 way through august and I have only taken 2 days off exercise and logged 21 1/2 hours so far at the gym.

go team!

EastLos01
08-16-2011, 01:45 PM
1/2 way through august and I have only taken 2 days off exercise and logged 21 1/2 hours so far at the gym.

go team!

I'm slowly starting to have a new hero. Way to go PF. Keep up the inspiring work.

faxman75
08-16-2011, 01:51 PM
You're a rock star Dani! See, no need to take a day off every other day to rest muscles. :) You joining this thread definitely contributed to getting me out of my July slump. New folks bring new energy!

psychic friend
08-16-2011, 04:57 PM
I need to spend more.. er.. at least some time doing the weights. i dont like trying them by myself. I don't like waiting to use them while sweaty muscle guys are using them. I dont want to ask the staff to show me how to use them (i generally do not like gym staff, they are too salesmeny and too thinktheyknowitallbutreallydonty when i just want basic instructions.

I welcome any advice or motivation to spend at least 20% of my time on weights.

GO:

Thanks fellow fitters

chiapet
08-16-2011, 05:20 PM
Dani, provided you mostly want to tone, you're probably best off using free weights rather than the machines. I went in for one session to learn a basic routine using 3, 5 & 8 lb dumbbells, and since then just do that portion of my work out at home (the free weight room at the gym is sweaty muscly guys).

JebusLives
08-16-2011, 05:30 PM
Psychic, I really recommend booking a personal trainer for an hour or 2, just to show you the ropes. Proper technique is really important, especially for freeweights (Chia is correct - they're the best. not just for tone; generally speaking).

Women in general should do more weights and ease up on the cardio... you get results faster, and keep your metabolism going between workouts. Just remember to warm up first so you don't pull anything - rowing for 5 minutes is great.

psychic friend
08-16-2011, 05:31 PM
duh. i totally forgot i have some weights at home. piled high with cat hair. I am going to break those out tonight. Still want to do more machines at the gym. some of them are fun. and i get more sore using them because i simply don't push myself as hard with the free weights. but ya i will start those asap in the mean time. thanks!

psychic friend
08-16-2011, 05:33 PM
also i wont get into debate over cardio being better or weights being better. you can find solid arguments to both sides from everyone from doctors to weight loss experts to muscle building people. My main focus now is no argument basic math.. calories in vs calories out, create deficit, lose pounds and inches. When I am near or at my target I will focus more on reshaping.

faxman75
08-16-2011, 08:25 PM
You can find basic weight exercises and proper form on youtube as well. I'm not a fan of weights in general. I'm not even touching them. I started using machine weights for a bit but I got bored with them. I figured I would start working on my core with crunches and push ups. I will revisit weights in the future, for now just cardio and floor exercises.

chiapet
08-16-2011, 09:02 PM
Mark, building greater muscle mass causes your basal metabolic rate to increase -- that means you burn more calories (even when not exercising). It's not something you want to exclude altogether from your workouts. (Which is not to say that you need to 'bulk up', either).

EastLos01
08-17-2011, 08:40 AM
PF, As far as technique, just remember to keep your feet shoulder width apart if standing while lifting, and always keep your back straight. Dont Rock while lifting. regardless if you see the gorillas at the gym doing that. That just means you're lifting too much weight. Risk for injury highly increases by doing that. Which area did you want to work on by lifting?

guedita
08-17-2011, 09:10 AM
I still haven't been going to the gym but have 5 pound weights at home. The only exercises I know of and do regularly with them are basic bi-cep curls, then lifting my arms straight out from my sides, and then also the tricips one where your hands are clasped together and you are lifting the weight. For these, I usually do 3 sets with 10 reps. I also do oblique work with them, holding them in each hand on your sides and dipping down, then back up.

ThatGirl
08-17-2011, 09:23 AM
My trainer has recently ended up with a massive hemorrhoid from lifting too heavy weights. She's in terrible pain poor girl. I haven't been a fan of weightlifting although it does tighten everything up really nicely.

Meanwhile, I'm away on business this week, and had 5 stacked pancakes with maple butter and wildberry fruit compote on them for breakfast at the hotel restaurant. Someone. Stop. Me.

EastLos01
08-17-2011, 09:31 AM
STOP!!!!! I hope that helped. ;)

And as far as anyone going the weightlifting route, this may sound dumb to have to say, but remember to breathe. Seriously, I've seen guys(plural) passout having weights fall on them because they are trying to push out the last few reps. For one reason or another, its REALLY easy to hold your breath while you're pushing yourself. But that's once you get into the intense workouts though. Just food for thought.

chiapet
08-17-2011, 10:01 AM
While I don't think it should replace talking to an 'expert', and getting advice specific to your goals and physique... I have notes at home from my personal trainer, I could post them later. I really like the routine she created for me (though I haven't been doing it lately), because it can be done completely at home with just a few hand weights, an exercise ball (and optionally an exercise/yoga mat). She divided it into upper body, lower body and core routines. Upper & lower body get done 1-2 times per week, core gets done every time (so 2-4 times a week).

I like it because it's really straight forward, would be easy to remember once you get into the habit of doing it, and takes very little time.

psychic friend
08-17-2011, 10:24 AM
Which area did you want to work on by lifting?

well i have learned over the years you cant just target & get results in a specific area, you have to lose fat all over - which I am still working on. If I had a wish list though, I really really really want to lean out my arms. Not musclely gross madonna arms but just smooth lean arms. I hate my arms. HATE. They seem to be the last part to thin out as I thin out.

EastLos01
08-17-2011, 11:18 AM
If I had a wish list though, I really really really want to lean out my arms. Not musclely gross madonna arms but just smooth lean arms. I hate my arms. HATE. They seem to be the last part to thin out as I thin out.

Well then you're already going about it the right way. Lose the inches first then get them to the tone you want them to be. You'll want to incorporate weight with cardio to get your metabolism higher and burning more fat. Dont do alot of light weight reps, when adding a few pounds to your reps and doing less will help you build a lil more muscle and speed your metabolism as well. Don't add too much weight, since you said you don't want madonna arms.

And as with anything, patience is a must. We can't get discouraged because things don't look right now the way we want them to. With work, they'll get there. This may sound cliche, but we spent our lives building our bodies to where they are, its going to take a while to reverse the damage we've done to ourselves. It will just take a lil longer for some of us to get there then others.

faxman75
08-19-2011, 08:41 AM
For those of us who may not be ready or want to use weights quite yet. The benefits of the push up and how to do them effectively and

http://health.yahoo.net/experts/menshealth/how-to-do-perfect-pushup

psychic friend
08-19-2011, 10:48 AM
push ups suck ass

rskapcat
08-19-2011, 11:09 AM
This week is the Titanic. Ugh. Weigh-in tomorrow morning is my reset. The weekly thing is one of the benefits of WW...no matter how horrible a week has been, it's just a week. A new week awaits.

roberto73
08-19-2011, 11:24 AM
Yesterday I had a fitness check done at the faculty gym. Apparently I need to work on my body fat percentage and my biceps strength is comparable to that of an anemic ten-year-old girl, but my resting heart rate and aerobic fitness level should be the envy of other 38-year-old men everywhere. Contradictory.

EastLos01
08-19-2011, 11:41 AM
CKekcHMiVVg

Being fit doesn't have to be all grunts and groans... lol

faxman75
08-20-2011, 10:24 AM
feeling good on my last weekend home for a bit. I've stuck to the same routine 7 days a week for a bit now which is 2.3 miles on level 7 of the elliptical for 30 minutes with 60 crunches and 10 leg lifts and finally some real stretching. The last two days I have slowwwwly been implementing push ups. The problem is I have inured both of my thumbs in separate incidents this year and the healing has been awkward because I never took proper care of them. The first was a cartwheel at Coachella though that one does seem to have subsided enough to where I can put weight on it, but the other one was a minor spill I took in Vegas which hurt my palm and thumb so putting weight on that still hurts. Yesterday I did a whopping 6 push ups. Today I did 18 by doing 8 then 6 then 4.

I haven't looked at the scale in a bit. The last time was a few weeks ago when I saw 255. I have only had the buffet once in the last 14 days which is a huge improvement. I no longer buy milk and cereal at the store so the late night cereal binges appear to be over and I do have fruit in the fridge that I snack on if I get the munchies. The rest of my diet is going well. I eat eggs and sausage for breakfast, banana for mid morning snack and chicken, steak or healthy choice steamer meal for lunch usually with green beans, broccoli or spinach. Dinner is pretty similar. I'm also drinking about 80 to 90 oz. of water a day. I've yet to be able to drink half my weight in water but I strive for it. I also haven't drank alcohol in about 2 weeks so i'm hoping that some of these changes jump started more weight loss though I don't plan on weighing in again for as long as I can hold out. Hopefully another few weeks or a month. School starts again this week so we'll see how much I have to switch up things though it shouldn't be much. At the very least I hope I can get my lazy ass out of bed on Thursday mornings to jog since Thursday night is class.

Hope everyone is doing well. :) I have to keep reminding myself that this is for long term health, not just to lose a bunch of weight as fast as I can. Don't get frustrated if you stumble, the idea is to win MOST days not all. It's about making the right choices more often than the wrong ones. Also, always anticipate, travel, going out to dinner and most importantly you busy people make time for YOU every single day. Be more selfish!

rskapcat
08-20-2011, 03:40 PM
My weigh-in went as expected...badly. But I had an awesome session with my trainer afterward, and I feel fantastic right now. I want to high-five everyone.

faxman75
08-20-2011, 07:52 PM
http://www.innocentenglish.com/funny-pics/lolcats/funny-kitten-high-five.jpg

EastLos01
08-23-2011, 11:38 AM
Horrible weekend, Drank heavily on Fri and Sat and Recovered all of Sunday so I didn't do anything. Went on a 20 minute walk this morning and am feeling a lil better. gotta get back on the ball tonight.

ThatGirl
08-23-2011, 02:50 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhlTu_hja5g

Ok so I participated in a Flashmob this weekend and it was great fun! I found out there are opportunities to do these things on a regular basis through an entertainment company in town and I intend to sign up. It can be a great way to stay fit too, since the practices are long and the dance itself was nearly 5 minutes! :) We did it to the Katy Perry song Firework because it was held at a Fireworks competition. 20 points if you guess who is me in the video.

algunz
08-23-2011, 03:23 PM
I'm guessing that you're that girl in the red shirt.

(red t-shirt with black cami underneath, sun glasses, necklace, silver sandals?)

Looks like fun. Zumba is a great, albeit trendy, new way to get your fitness on. :thu

rskapcat
08-23-2011, 03:38 PM
I'm always jealous when I walk by a zumba class in session at my gym. (I can't do anything with impact, especially that much jumping around.)

ThatGirl
08-23-2011, 03:41 PM
I'm guessing that you're that girl in the red shirt.

(red t-shirt with black cami underneath, sun glasses, necklace, silver sandals?)

Looks like fun. Rumba is a great, albeit trendy, new way to get your fitness on. :thu

Haha yeah there's a few red shirts but that one's not me :winkiss Yes it was SOOO fun! The planning and surprise of it especially. We got in the news and in the paper.

bmack86
08-23-2011, 05:00 PM
The road trip I went on to say farewell to the end of summer may have involved lots of drinking, but I weighed in this morning and I am 6 pounds down from what I was before the trip. Once I get my loans and can afford to eat properly, it's gonna be on like Donkey Kong!

algunz
08-24-2011, 12:44 PM
Haha yeah there's a few red shirts but that one's not me :winkiss Yes it was SOOO fun! The planning and surprise of it especially. We got in the news and in the paper.

So, you're not going to give us a hint.

ThatGirl
08-24-2011, 02:04 PM
I am wearing red, and I have ribbons on. :)

faxman75
08-24-2011, 02:19 PM
Short blond hair on the left w/sunglasses near the front.

ThatGirl
08-24-2011, 02:25 PM
Ding Ding Ding!!!

faxman75
08-24-2011, 02:37 PM
Cute :) What do I win?!

ThatGirl
08-24-2011, 02:53 PM
Cute :) What do I win?!

Hmmm I said 20 points. How about pints instead? What weekend are you attending? :)

faxman75
08-24-2011, 03:01 PM
Both! Pints sound much better than points.

ThatGirl
08-24-2011, 03:02 PM
Ok I am only going to attend one, haven't decided yet, but we'll meet up for pints on me when I do!

faxman75
08-24-2011, 03:11 PM
Excellent. I look foward to it and our fitness triumphs leading up to it!

Westy
08-24-2011, 03:26 PM
I didn't make it into the infomercial I was going for :( They say I don't have enough weight to lose. Now I have to try and get rid of these extra pounds I've been piling on for the last few weeks.

rodStewart
08-24-2011, 03:30 PM
I lost 12 pounds in the last couple months if anyone is interested.

Westy
08-24-2011, 03:31 PM
Well done. What's your goal?

rodStewart
08-24-2011, 03:43 PM
Hey, thank you. I want to lose 30 more so I'll weigh 160, but with muscle. So not sure if i have to lose 30. Ya dig? Gotta start working out more.

I want to look better for next summer because I'm gonna start skim boarding.

Mr. Dylanja
08-24-2011, 03:53 PM
I've put on 15 lbs since Coachella. I've given up with the scale.

Courtney
08-24-2011, 04:02 PM
High five everyone. Except D. Unless you wanted to put on lbs. In which case, high five.

I've been biking to work and back home every day, and I can feel my leg muscles getting stronger as I get less winded dealing with hills. Hurrah!

My next step is to try to find clothes that can transition from bike commuter to office-ready, because I am sick and tired of having to carry a change of clothing and go back and forth. My office is fairly casual, and I feel like there must be some sort of workout wear that would be remotely respectable looking.

Mr. Dylanja
08-24-2011, 04:04 PM
Biker spandex isn't in?

Courtney
08-24-2011, 04:13 PM
My coworkers are gonna totally love me when I show up in one of these babies:

http://champagnemanagement.com/system/images/unitards.jpg

EastLos01
08-24-2011, 04:39 PM
I didn't make it into the infomercial I was going for :( They say I don't have enough weight to lose. Now I have to try and get rid of these extra pounds I've been piling on for the last few weeks.

Sorry to hear, Sure you'll get the next one....This is the right place to post if ya need inspiration on getting fit...

I lost 12 pounds in the last couple months if anyone is interested.

Thats Awesome, Congrats.

My next step is to try to find clothes that can transition from bike commuter to office-ready, because I am sick and tired of having to carry a change of clothing and go back and forth. My office is fairly casual, and I feel like there must be some sort of workout wear that would be remotely respectable looking.

THIS!!! I live within bike riding distance from work as well and want to do this for the next three weeks or so to see how much diffence it would make.

chiapet
08-24-2011, 07:34 PM
Courtney, what specifically do you need out of your cycling outfits that doesn't work with your work wardrobe? (Meaning, is the problem that you're getting too sweaty? flashing people while you bike in a skirt? do you need protective clothing?)

Around here, I see a LOT of girls bike in dresses and skirts, as long as they're knee length or shorter, and they wear opaque tights, bike shorts, or biking pants underneath until they get to work.

Premium Roast
08-24-2011, 07:48 PM
yeah, do explain

Courtney
08-24-2011, 07:51 PM
Mostly, I don't want to flash people. But I hate wearing shorts. And looser pants and longish skirts can get caught on my chain. And Honolulu is hotter than the Bay Area so I need fabrics that can breathe.

Courtney
08-24-2011, 07:57 PM
I like this tunic/dress from Athleta, which is made in a moisture-wicking polyester/spandex blend and could transition pretty well from bike to office with the addition of some leggings and strappy sandals. I just need an entire wardrobe of similar pieces.

http://www3.assets-gap.com/Asset_Archive/ATWeb/Assets/Product/791/791790/big/at791790-00vliv01.jpg

Westy
08-24-2011, 10:14 PM
Hey, thank you. I want to lose 30 more so I'll weigh 160, but with muscle. So not sure if i have to lose 30. Ya dig? Gotta start working out more.

I want to look better for next summer because I'm gonna start skim boarding.

I dig. Let us/me know if you need advice or support or anything. Fitchella!!

Sorry to hear, Sure you'll get the next one....This is the right place to post if ya need inspiration on getting fit...

Cheers EL01. I'm just going to go back to push ups and crunches (hardcore this time). Hopefully, I'll give up the cigs and start running again.

koryp
08-24-2011, 10:37 PM
I've been meaning to join this thread for a while, but, well, you know. Erica and I are 2 weeks into p90X and I think we're sticking to it this time. It is totally kicking our asses and every other body part. Tonight I got through 40 minutes of Legs and Back before giving in. Congrats to all of the progress you've made. I've been reading the thread for a while, but didn't want to post until I knew I was really committed. Fitchella in Louisiana is on.

ThatGirl
08-25-2011, 07:24 AM
I like this tunic/dress from Athleta, which is made in a moisture-wicking polyester/spandex blend and could transition pretty well from bike to office with the addition of some leggings and strappy sandals. I just need an entire wardrobe of similar pieces.

http://www3.assets-gap.com/Asset_Archive/ATWeb/Assets/Product/791/791790/big/at791790-00vliv01.jpg

This is cute! I could wear it to Zumba with little spandex shorts.

EastLos01
08-25-2011, 09:01 AM
I've been meaning to join this thread for a while, but, well, you know. Erica and I are 2 weeks into p90X and I think we're sticking to it this time. It is totally kicking our asses and every other body part. Tonight I got through 40 minutes of Legs and Back before giving in. Congrats to all of the progress you've made. I've been reading the thread for a while, but didn't want to post until I knew I was really committed. Fitchella in Louisiana is on.

Welcome aboard. Glad to have you... I've been wanting to take the plunge into P90X for a while now. In those 2 weeks, have you noticed a difference?

EastLos01
08-25-2011, 09:13 AM
OK, so I've plateaued(sp?) and I need something to get me kick started again. I knew this was going to happen so i'm not worried. Now, how to continue without getting frustrated is my concern.

koryp
08-25-2011, 09:16 AM
Welcome aboard. Glad to have you... I've been wanting to take the plunge into P90X for a while now. In those 2 weeks, have you noticed a difference?

Besides it kicking my ass? It's still too early to make absolute judgements, but yes I'm getting results. I already started loosing body fat this week, but even more than that, I feel better. Routines are hard, but they are still fun. I researched it for a while being the natural skeptic I am and it really fits into our philosophy and goals. Besides bike riding and skating, it's the only exercise I'm doing right now and it's more than enough. Once I get about 5 weeks into it , I'll probably add in a couple days at the gym for weight training, but for now just trying to get my body to complete these routines is enough of a challange. If you are planning on buying it don't bother, I've got them all on my file server in .AVI and .MP4 and would be happy to share.

EastLos01
08-25-2011, 05:02 PM
Thanks for the offer, might just take you up on that... I need something to break this monotony of my day to day. Hopefully It'll stick the first time around.

faxman75
08-25-2011, 09:43 PM
Welcome newcomers!

After a long day of work and then school I decided to come home and squeeze in my elliptical routine before heading to the airport to fly to Chicago. I was set on picking up carry out buffet food on the way home but decided the workout would be better. I feel fucking great and i'm sure i'll be starving by the time the plan lands at 5 am in Chicago. I just hope I can sleep for the 3 hours on the plane because I planned a loooong day for myself tomorrow going to museums and walking several miles in the city. The nice thing is all that walking will count as exercise. :)

There is a point to my story besides the normal 'hey look at me and what i'm doing'. That point is no matter how busy you think you are. Nothing is more important than you and your health. So find ways to fit your 20-30 minutes a day in, some how, some way. :) Have a great weekend everyone.

fatbastard
08-25-2011, 09:58 PM
I've been making my meals for the past 2 weeks. I've actually gained 4 pounds. The wife says I spend too much money on food so I've been eating lots of bread, pasta, and rice in my meals to compensate for what I normally eat. Not the best choices, but they require little reheating time and I can make a ton of it to eat at a low cost. Grilled veggies and salads make me crave meat.

Then again, there has been no exercise. My laptop died a week ago and instead of going out walking, I've been checking out movies from the library. Anyways, agreed that making smart choices most of the time will get you results. I'm being a conscience incompetent, but I need food, lots of it. I get headaches, emotional, and combative unless my tummy is full.

chiapet
08-25-2011, 11:40 PM
FB, 2 suggestions: use whole wheat bread/pasta or brown rice instead of white and half your normal portion and replace it with fruit or veggies. This will be enough to lose weight. Seriously.

psychic friend
08-26-2011, 11:28 AM
Update. 33 hours at the gym so far for the month of august.
certain clothing items are too big now.

EastLos01
08-26-2011, 11:40 AM
Update. 33 hours at the gym so far for the month of august.
certain clothing items are too big now.

Thats Awesome PF, keep up the great work...

I had to go return a couple dress shirts last week for the same reason. I tried one on, and it looked too puffy. Feels great... Not even going to complain that I need to buy all new clothes now.

And again, Thanks to you all for sharing your experiences... It really is inspiring.

EastLos01
08-29-2011, 11:17 AM
Anyone know of a local high school in Vegas where they have an open track? or any good trails to go jogging? Don't want to risk jogging on the strip or anywhere where there are alot of tourist drivers not paying attention to the road.

Courtney
08-29-2011, 12:03 PM
Go Dani go Dani go!

And yes, I second the above suggestion to try using brown rice or whole wheat pasta. For someone who is highly active, your portion size should be around 1 cup of cooked grain. If you're feeling adventurous, try quinoa. It cooks up as easily as couscous but has a lot more protein than rice or pasta.

RageAgainstTheAoki
08-29-2011, 02:53 PM
Quinoa is a wonderful choice. And our increased consumption is making it easier for impoverished Bolivians to purchase more Oreos (http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/20/world/americas/20bolivia.html?pagewanted=all).

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
08-29-2011, 02:55 PM
I prefer the taste of quinoa over pretty much any other choice.

Courtney
08-29-2011, 02:58 PM
That article is depressing.

FWIW, I never buy boxed quinoa because I find it's too expensive for me. I prefer buying it in bulk from a local health food store. I also like buying barley, farro, and other assorted whole grains in bulk.

Courtney
08-29-2011, 03:01 PM
And if you're really, really into that sort of thing, Whole Grains Every Day, Every Way (http://www.amazon.com/Whole-Grains-Every-Day-Way/dp/0307336727/) by Lorna Sass is freaking brilliant. Brilliant.

faxman75
08-30-2011, 10:44 AM
I had a pretty good vacation in Chicago. I took a red eye on Thursday night and arrived in Chicago around 5:00am aftering getting maybe an hour of sleep on the plane. I didn't let that stop me though. I calculated that I walked roughly 6 miles throughout the day on Friday from Daily Plaza to the Tribune building to the Field museum up the lakefront and then through Grant Park over to meet up with a friend then to the Art Institute and back to the Tribune building. Plus all the walking inside of the museums. It was pretty fantastic to be able to do all of that walking with little sleep and more importantly to be in shape enough to do it. I enjoyed the hell out of the entire day and the weather was perfect. 80 degrees and sunny. I ate somewhat healthy throughout the weekend though I can always do better. I didn't exercise much on Saturday and Sunday. Saturday I drank beer all day which is something I never do, so that was a special occasion. It was damn good beer too at Three Floyds Brewery in Munster, IN if you are curious to check out their website. Yesterday morning I jogged 2 miles on the treadmill, did 60 crunches, 10 leg lifts and 8,6,4 push ups. I felt really good after that. Me and my mom normally go to eat deep dish pizza when i'm in town but since we have both lost about 50 pounds and trying to lose more we decided we should go to Applebees because they have a low cal and weight watchers menu. I had an assiago steak with steamed veggies and a cup of broccoli/cheese soup which was about 750 calories but since I didn't have breakfast and walked a ton more through the city and O'hare airport and had a light dinner it was perfect. That pizza would have been over 2000 calories i'm sure. I should have no problem getting in my 2 miles on the ellptical the rest of the week and keeping up the routine. Vegas might be a challenge but at the very least i'll be doing crunches, push ups and swimming if I can't get to a treadmill or elliptical machine there. The alcohol is going to hurt so I will be reasonable with my food choices while there.

ThatGirl
08-30-2011, 10:51 AM
^^^
You show fantastic restraint especially while on vacation! Good for you and your mom going with the healthy choices vs. Deep dish! You are right Vegas could be a challenge but it's awesome you are going to be disciplined. :)

faxman75
08-30-2011, 11:02 AM
It helps that the fitness center sounds freaking amazing! Mind you, i'll probably just use basic cardio equipment while there but this place has quite a bit of brand spanking new state of the art equipment. So even if there is a fee to use it, I won't be too upset paying it. Just watch it cost about $20/day though. I figure i'm there Friday night through Monday morning i'll probably use it on Saturday and Sunday.

http://www.cosmopolitanlasvegas.com/stay/hotel-amenities/fitness-center.aspx

psychic friend
08-30-2011, 11:08 AM
Congrats faxy on resisting the pizza. My toughest challenge is resisting eating like anyone I hang out with for any reason. I try not to do "work" lunches. I decline most dinner invites. I just can't handle it until I get to my goal. It's too big of a set back. People are in serious denial of how many calories they casually consume during "eating out" with friends or co-workers. Just look at the calories on the menus. reality check. Most things are an entire day's calories in one sitting. ugh.

ThatGirl
08-30-2011, 11:21 AM
Congrats faxy on resisting the pizza. My toughest challenge is resisting eating like anyone I hang out with for any reason. I try not to do "work" lunches. I decline most dinner invites. I just can't handle it until I get to my goal. It's too big of a set back. People are in serious denial of how many calories they casually consume during "eating out" with friends or co-workers. Just look at the calories on the menus. reality check. Most things are an entire day's calories in one sitting. ugh.

I hear you! One benefit of working from home avoided pricey high calorie lunches out. I usually just have a sandwich and fruit for lunch. When I go out for lunch with friends it's high cal wraps or pastas or worse, fast food -then I have no wiggle room left in my daily intake to have anything good for dinner. Plus!!! High calorie coffees! Starbucks lattes etc can be 400 calories! I'm more than happy to avoid those.

faxman75
08-30-2011, 11:22 AM
Thanks Dani. Work can sometimes be the worst place of all. Donuts, popcorn and pot lucks are the norm around here and often times they don't ask, they just come to your desk and start handing out food. They don't stop no matter how many times you make it clear that you can't. I literally have to loudly say no thank you and then give a reason as to why. People are ridiculous. I wish they would make it law to list calories on every menu in every restaurant.

Also, I wasn't perfect with my eating but I am conscious of every decision i'm making with food at this point. I did have fish and chips on Saturday for lunch and then 2 pork chops for dinner on Saturday. However, I did prepare and when I got to Chicago I had lo carb tortillas, baked bbq lays, turkey and cheese so I wouldn't eat out as much. My typical chicago trips include eating Italian Beef, Schoops burgers, white castles, deep dish pizza and anything else that's tasty that I don't eat in Phoenix. I managed to avoid a lot of that stuff.

The first day I spent in downtown Chicago I had an omelette with eggs, red peppers and cheese, an english muffin and potatoes. Lunch was a B.L.T. and some fries. I hope to get more vigilant with calorie counting. It's never been something i've done in the past and it's going to require some effort.

I'm looking into using this tool. Maybe some of you will find this helpful too.

http://caloriecount.about.com/cc/calories-goal.php

According to this when I put in my information and leave my goal date blank I get this result. Not bad. I chose 185 because that was my weight senior year of high school. The last time I was close to that was when I got to 197 in 2003 after losing 85 pounds.

You should consume about 2,393 calories a day to reach your goal weight of 185 lbs . This is at a reasonable weight loss average of 1.5 lbs per week, which should be reached by June 28, 2012.

psychic friend
08-31-2011, 11:32 AM
I have been using http://www.myfitnesspal.com/ since june to record food, calories (it even has a bar code scanner) and exercise (calories burned, etc). You record your weight, it shows your progress, etc. etc.

Courtney
08-31-2011, 11:44 AM
Good job faxman!

PF, you're entirely right. I need to learn to have more restraint about the work and social eating. Last night we had a work event where the executive director of my organization kept on handing my glass after glass of champagne, and it ended in me going out to eat with folks and overdoing it completely. NOT GOOD. This is the third time this month were the executive director has succeeded in getting me drunk -- I think it's some sort of mission. And it never ends well for me.

fatbastard
08-31-2011, 01:32 PM
PF is tearing it up.

ThatGirl
08-31-2011, 03:12 PM
I have been using http://www.myfitnesspal.com/ since june to record food, calories (it even has a bar code scanner) and exercise (calories burned, etc). You record your weight, it shows your progress, etc. etc.

I used Sparkpeople to do the same thing! They are similar. I used it religiously to lose about 30 lbs. You have to really commit to doing your entries o fyour food but it's worth it to understand what you are really taking in every day.

psychic friend
09-01-2011, 01:45 PM
Final gym count for August... 41 hours. It's not a goal but I wonder if I will beat that for September.

im pretty commit to the fitnesspal though I do guestimate things at times for entry. I try to over estimate rather than under estimate.

EastLos01
09-02-2011, 09:09 AM
Final gym count for August... 41 hours. It's not a goal but I wonder if I will beat that for September.

im pretty commit to the fitnesspal though I do guestimate things at times for entry. I try to over estimate rather than under estimate.

That's awesome PF...goals are very important.

One thing I was told once, and its holding true. I was told to make a fist, and that is the ideal size that my stomach should be. When I eat, I should compare my food portions to what would fit in my stomach. I don't know why, but that blew my mind that day. I've been following that, as well as Not eating at night, and there's been a significant drop these past couple of months. That and regular exercise of course is making a huge difference.

insbordnat
09-02-2011, 11:14 AM
So maybe this should go under the confessions thread...

I have been eating like shit. Work stress + not working out = me at a tinge over 200 lbs, which is about 20 lbs over my ideal weight.

I have my friends from LA coming into town this weekend and my friend is doing a pig roast at his pool party. But come Tuesday, back on the wagon. Enough dicking around. My bike has been collecting dust for the last couple of months and its unacceptable.

EastLos01
09-02-2011, 12:01 PM
Welcome aboard. Hope you achieve what you're striving for. this is the perfect place for support and inspiration.

ThatGirl
09-02-2011, 12:32 PM
So maybe this should go under the confessions thread...

I have been eating like shit. Work stress + not working out = me at a tinge over 200 lbs, which is about 20 lbs over my ideal weight.

I have my friends from LA coming into town this weekend and my friend is doing a pig roast at his pool party. But come Tuesday, back on the wagon. Enough dicking around. My bike has been collecting dust for the last couple of months and its unacceptable.

Welcome indeed. This is a pats on the back thread for sure. The confessions thread was all about food and sex this week so I think you are in the right place.

fatbastard
09-04-2011, 07:54 AM
I need to walk today.

psychic friend
09-08-2011, 10:29 AM
um.. did everyone fall off the wagon or what? time to be accountable. what is your progress? I logged 6 hours at the gym this week so far. Just caught up (or back down) to where I was before the holiday. I really need to buy some smaller pants. I have some that are too small still from the past (we'll call those goal pants).. and the ones now are too big... fall off/ very baggy. I need some "now" pants. I need to make a trip to the thrift store. good place for transitional short term clothes.

carry on

Mr. Fuzz
09-08-2011, 10:35 AM
I'm on it and still logging in about 10 hours a week at the gym. I haven't been able to run for the last two weeks because I have a really bad shin splint. But, I've been riding the bike. I rode a 34 mi trail on Sunday and plan on hitting it again this Saturday.

faxman75
09-08-2011, 11:35 AM
I'm doing absolutely terrible with my eating habits. I'm doing poor all together. Frustrated that I haven't lost any weight since May but that's because of the piss poor eating habits. I eat enough to feed a family of 4. I need to focus and stop creating excuses for everything. All I do is eat eat eat!!

I really though I had a pretty good month in August. In reality, I still haven't lost half of what i need to lose. Closer to 35%. I'm very very frustrated today and I need to regroup and not dwell on this stuff and be happy I haven't put on weight and stuff.

Keep it up Dani, you continue to inspire. My laziness is making me upset and i'm trying to avoid the vicious cycle that follows and stop this negative energy in its tracks!

NachoCat
09-08-2011, 11:49 AM
I have not worked out in about 5 weeks. This is the longest hiatus for me in probably 3 years. I dont even feel like myself anymore. What an idiot for letting that much time go. Back at it starting Saturday.

koryp
09-08-2011, 11:01 PM
Week 3 of our P90x routine and it's finally getting easier to complete more of the routines. We setup a pull up bar in the hall and got ourselves into a routine of doing the sessions every night before dinner. The learning curve for this is pretty steep and physically it's probably the hardest routine I've done since high school. I haven't seen a scale for a few months, but will probably get around to weighing myself in the next few weeks. I've definetly put back on a good bit of muscle and getting trimmer. I'll add in some morning cardio in the next week to kick start the weight loss. I also have finally gotten my water consumption up to a healthy level. I installed a 6 stage reverse osmosis system and keep my fridge stocked with water bottles. I saved the half the cost of the system in just one month of not having to buy bottled water.

chiapet
09-09-2011, 07:58 AM
Mark, I hear you, I'm still off the wagon. I finally gained back a couple of pounds (why was I really shocked that I gained 2 or 3 lbs after I ate at least 2 or 3 lbs of pasta over the past week or two?) which ultimately is motivating me to start exercising and eating right again. Right now I'm just going to get through the weekend (going out dancing 2 nights, so I'm not worried about exercising) and going to start fresh on Monday.

RedHotSgtPeppers
09-09-2011, 08:26 AM
I am finally seeing results from working out. Ever since the 4th of July, I kind of said "fuck all" to eating healthy and working out consistently, but after reaching the point where none of my pants fit anymore, I decided I needed a change. I haven't "lost weight" due to gaining it back in muscle. But I'm finally seeing progress.

psychic friend
09-09-2011, 09:02 AM
mr. fuzz blowing my mind with logged gym hours. wow. keep it up.

faxy oooh.. the food struggle is hard! if anything, force yourself to log, write down, type somewhere everything you put in your mouth. as annoying as that is to actually do and it took me a long time to get consistent at it, it does help. becomes easier to eat less than have to look at it on the food log or to have to log it down at all. (guilt).

glad to see everyone chime in, its fun/motivating reading the progress!

chiapet
09-09-2011, 09:24 AM
^^ logging really did help. There are a lot of simple calorie tracker sites / apps out there. I found that really helpful, as *usually* I eat pretty well but certain foods surprised me with their caloric content.

Also, Mark, something I did initially was to actually measure out food every meal. For example, if I had rice, I measured out 1/2 C of cooked rice. That is ONE serving. (It's tiny! I usually eat at least twice that much. :) ) It's not to say I necessarily limited myself to that amount, but by measuring or weighing foods every meal I was more honest about the serving "size" I was giving myself and how I tracked calories. That allowed me to make some pretty simple decisions -- for example, instead of having 2 or 3 servings (1-1.5C) of rice, I had 1 serving (.5C) and extra veggies. I was drastically cutting my calories that way without feeling hungry.

TommyboyUNM
09-09-2011, 09:30 AM
I'm still walking/running about 4-5 days per week. On my off days, I do weights. So I'm at the gym at least 6 days per week.

I always walk/run 3 miles in about 30:40. On Sunday night, I did 3 miles in 26:38. It felt good. I'm sure, if I really pushed myself balls out, I could do it in better time than that. I haven't had this much endurance in over 10 years. I feel pretty good.

As far as weights go, I'm definitely getting stronger. I'm able to put up a lot more weight, more easily, than when I started. I'm noticing more definition in my arms in the process.

I urge any of you who are apprehensive about, or don't believe in, weights to give them a try. If you put on more muscle, I think it's easier to burn fat. I recommend free weights, but I also use machines just to mix up my workouts to try to keep my muscles guessing. I think you're doing yourselves a disservice if you're serious about getting in shape and you're ignoring weight training.

I hope everyone who is off the wagon can get back on and start feeling good again. And I'm glad a few of you are making progress.

faxman75
09-09-2011, 09:46 AM
Dani and Heidi, I did start logging food this week and it definitely required patience as i'm someone who has never counted calories in the past. I will try to start measuring more too. I think it was day 3 that I completely gave up but i'm still here and today is a new start. I just did a morning jog which I hadn't done in a very long time. I did a mile in 14 minutes but i'm just happy it was under 15. Jogging on pavement is so much harder than jogging on a treadmill. I felt like I was going to pass out at the end of it but i'm glad I did it.

A crazy work potluck was about all it took to fuck up my week. They made so much BBQ it was left over for the next couple of days and I didn't even try to avoid it. I even had food with me and I ate that too. I can do some serious damage when it comes to food and it's shameful or at least i'm hoping to become ashamed of it because somethings gotta get me to stop. Anyway, I have made significant progress and I haven't ruined any of that, i've just sort of been on pause or something. I know what I need to do now it's a matter of getting everything back in a rhythm again.

I'm not doing weights yet but because of all the talk in this thread by you and others Tommy i've been doing crunches and push ups and they are definitely getting easier and i'm feeling my arms getting stronger so i'm not ignoring my core entirely any more. I know how to exercise I really need to get this eating thing down keep a healthy diet under 2000 calories a day. I need to start having breakfast, eat less bread/tortillas and focus on less fatty meats.

keeshonjohnson
09-09-2011, 12:26 PM
I have been on a bit of a summer hiatus, but do have the eating under control. Hoping to get back to the gym/yoga routine next week.

bmack86
09-09-2011, 01:44 PM
I'm losing weight consistently now. In the past three weeks I've dropped a pound a week. More importantly though, my waist/stomach size is going down again. I had breakfast with my parents this morning and they were amazed at the slimming I've done.

Now to get the ladies to notice...

psychic friend
09-09-2011, 01:47 PM
pizza friday. oh well. at least one piece had no cheese.. another was just the crust. and 2 others.. I used paper towels to soak up as much oil as possible. definitely doing a 2nd trip to the gym tonight after work. CURSE YOU PIZZA FRIDAY. YOU SUCK. so good.

EastLos01
09-09-2011, 01:59 PM
pizza friday. oh well. at least one piece had no cheese.. another was just the crust. and 2 others.. I used paper towels to soak up as much oil as possible. definitely doing a 2nd trip to the gym tonight after work. CURSE YOU PIZZA FRIDAY. YOU SUCK. so good.

CsbYx6hevoQ

EastLos01
09-09-2011, 02:03 PM
Way to go PF, and Thanks for putting us all on blast...

Faxy, don't get too frustrated... For something like this, Its a marathon, not a sprint.

So regardless of my Vegas trip last weekend( sorry I didn't have a chance to meet up with you faxy) I didn't do to bad. No buffets for the first time ever in Vegas, and I did a lot of walking. Did alot of Drinking though so over not too bad. Not great but not too bad.

TheScenestar
09-09-2011, 02:29 PM
Hi all,

I started going to the gym 3 weeks ago almost every day and didn't want to post till I knew that I was commited (Which I am now). I've been losing a pound a week and feeling great. I spend about an hour at the gym with a rare second visit when I can. Half the time is cardio, while the other is weights. From previous experience, doing weights does help in losing the weight faster. Also, when I get home, I do push ups and sit ups.

Also, been cutting down severely on red meat and eating out/junky food, sticking to dietary frozen dinners (Weight Watchers, etc) and trying to eat more fruits/veggies. I found an amazing local organic food store in Highland Park with reasonable prices with Whole Foods caliber food. They're on Groupon all the time (Buy $35 of food for $25) and all their fresh stuff is local. Already feeling lots of energy and my sides slimming (but not the belly, yet). It helps to count calories and what you buy so when you get cravings, what's in your fridge wont set you back. Anyways, good luck y'all and hope to be super fitchella by the time April rolls around. :)

bmack86
09-09-2011, 02:33 PM
So, I see myself every day and don't really get a good perspective on how much weight I've really lost. I just looked at photos taken at the same event, one year apart.

Me, August 2010:
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j52/bmack86/40170_426830309678_501704678_4600492_3011495_n.jpg

Me, August 2011:
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j52/bmack86/299086_10100536153016859_826340_59066235_2573235_n .jpg

TheScenestar
09-09-2011, 02:37 PM
So, I see myself every day and don't really get a good perspective on how much weight I've really lost. I just looked at photos taken at the same event, one year apart.

Me, August 2010:
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j52/bmack86/40170_426830309678_501704678_4600492_3011495_n.jpg

Me, August 2011:
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j52/bmack86/299086_10100536153016859_826340_59066235_2573235_n .jpg

I saw you at FYF this weekend. You are looking slimmer compared to when I saw you at the Satellite for The Vaccines. Keep it up!

psychic friend
09-09-2011, 02:52 PM
Wow.. i totally forgot about 2010 bmack.. only know 2011 bmack. amazing!

bmack86
09-09-2011, 03:01 PM
I'll be honest. Right after that fest in 2010, I was in Vegas with my little bro for his 21st, and some drunk sassy chicks asked me if I was pregnant. That was as much motivation to lose weight as I'll ever need. I definitely looked pregnant.

chiapet
09-09-2011, 03:30 PM
Wow, Bryan, that's an amazing difference. You're looking great!

amyzzz
09-09-2011, 03:33 PM
Way to go, Bryan!

kreutz2112
09-09-2011, 03:36 PM
I'll be honest. Right after that fest in 2010, I was in Vegas with my little bro for his 21st, and some drunk sassy chicks asked me if I was pregnant. That was as much motivation to lose weight as I'll ever need. I definitely looked pregnant.

Bitches. Amirite?

bmack86
09-09-2011, 04:25 PM
yousorite

kitt kat
09-09-2011, 06:29 PM
Not that I'm getting in shape for Coachella -- but I've lost 6 pounds since July (woo! slow, I know) just from working out a few times a week and not eating like a slob. I never thought working out did anything, but I REALLY notice the difference; I still have a little beer gut, but my legs are super trimmed down. I make a lot of vegans tew these days.

Also, the inner/outer thigh-working weight machine is the greatest invention known to man.

PIZZA FRIDAYS WILL ALWAYS BE THE DEATH OF ME! I've (shockingly) have gotten really good about avoiding food at work/school. Grad school = a lot of free lunch. In situations where I can't avoid the free food, I automatically go for no cheese/no meat now.

And Bryan, you look great!!

weeklymix
09-09-2011, 11:42 PM
BMACK
http://clgamer.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Fuck-Yeah.jpg

bmack86
09-10-2011, 01:51 AM
I really think that controlling the urge to eat things placed in front of you is the biggest obstacle in regulating weight. I don't automatically shovel food toward my face when it's placed in front of me anymore, and I think that's been the biggest thing with me losing weight.

Mugwog
09-10-2011, 03:34 AM
Had to tone out a little bit for some peekchas, so I started a high protein (7 servings) and low carb (1 serving @ night) and 4 servings of veggies per day, along with actually working out daily and being more active (less trolling). In about a month, I've toned out better, had more energy and have gotten used to holding out on the carbs.

Lowering my carbs was the best thing I've done. Before I never knew how people could eat so much for gaining muscle/losing fat, always felt full when I had carbs in a meal. I mean you can eat 2 bowls of cereal and be good for most of the day/night. Since I cut the carbs, my appetite has increased and I'm able to eat that ridiculous amount of protein daily, but everything is slimming out properly.

Taking some dance/movement lessons now and that'll get things even better by April (HOPEFULLY)

Fucking sucks when I'm stoned and looking at chocolate cake/sweets and pizza though... and no rice really sucks when you've got Asian blood.

fatbastard
09-10-2011, 03:51 AM

That's fucked up.

Courtney
09-13-2011, 11:43 AM
Bryan is awesome :)

Also, if anyone is interested, Living Social has a deal on right now for Whole Foods -- spend $10 and get a $20 certificate. Good for snapping up healthy pantry options like quinoa, agave syrup, wild rice blends, steel cut oats, and whatnot.

If you want to get in and you love me, use this link (https://livingsocial.com/deals/123805?ref=conf-jp&rpi=27288791) so I can get hooked up.

chairmenmeow47
09-13-2011, 08:09 PM
i tried courtney but they're sold out :(

so i'm behind on fitchella, obviously. i have been trying not to eat too much while i've been laid up and have maintained my weight that way at least. watching one of those MTV true life shows where this guy could not stop shoving food down his face helped keep me in check lol.

once i'm better, i need to start doing yoga on a regular basis though to prevent endometriosis adhesions. this is probably a great question for IFA, but what are the differences between the different types of yoga? i know what bikram is, i know a little about kundalini from amy, but i want to learn more. please educate me, thanks :)

I.F.A.
09-14-2011, 11:36 AM
Okay, so here's a brief rundown, in no particular order (snark provided at no extra cost):

Hatha - Pose/alignment oriented. This is what I started out with, however few studios teach straight Hatha classes any more, as they've fallen out of style - even though Hatha is the foundation of most yoga schools (the poses done in Bikram, for instance, are Hatha poses). In a straight Hatha class, the focus is on doing the poses correctly rather than quickly, so the pace tends to be slower and you hold poses for longer. It's a good way to learn the fundamentals before going in to a different type of yoga.

Bikram - Yoga Bootcamp: i.e. Hatha poses in 100 degrees. Very little spiritual discussion. Poses that really shouldn't be done by beginners. Cash Cow. (You know about this one).

Sumits - Hot. Bikram rip-off.

Kundalini - This is a yoga cult. I saw a documentary once where they called practitioners of this type of yoga "Kundaloonies"... and that's a pretty fair characterization. Heavy with new-age/hippie burn-outs, and slowly indoctrinates new practitioners. Heavy on meditation and focused manipulation of bodily energy. Very "get one with God... oh, and also, don a turban, wear only white, wake up at 3 am every day and take a cold shower before chanting for a couple of hours. Also, also: buy in to our VERY WEIRD and completely unscientific metaphysical philosophies. Also^3: give us money". Their spiritual slant is roughly based on Sikhism, as completely bastardized by Yogi Bhajan. Physically, this yoga is only tangentially based on Hatha, and focuses on a lot of repetitive movement. I actually really like a lot of the yoga sets they use (even if Yogi Bhajan pulled them out of his ass), which is how I got sucked in to it. Then I realized how crazy it all is when I did teacher training and the whole "play sane for the sake of the uninitiated" thing ended... To say something good about it: there is a strong musical element, and I do have to admit that I really dug the chanting. However, this one is definitely not for you. /rant

Ashtanga/Vinayasa/Anusara/Flow/Power - I call these sorts Yogarobics. You'll be doing lots. And lots. And lots. of Sun Salutations... usually at such a fast pace that there's no way to do them correctly (even in beginner classes, the pace tends to be too fast to focus on alignment in any serious way). Theoretically, the idea is aligning the body with the breath and going through the poses in organic, kinetic manner. In practice, form usually goes straight out the window, and these classes incorporate a lot of poses that Look Really Cool but shouldn't even be attempted by people who haven't been practicing for years. In my experience, teachers in this school are generally Beautiful Young People, and the classes are filled with a high ratio of cougers and/or surfer/hipster/band-wagon crunchy granola types. This is a great yoga for building strength and burning calories... even if you're doing it completely wrong. Also: injuries. I've also noticed a higher than usual air of smugness in these classes, and while they're more physically oriented they aren't completely exempt from the usual banal spiritual platitudes - and, if you do get a teacher that is in to the banal spiritual platitudes, they tend to be even more grating and shallow than usual. The last studio I went to regularly was heavy on the flow. While it can be fun, and I liked it for a while due to the work-out involved, it got old fast. Also: teachers in this school generally have shit taste in music, and you can expect to hear a lot of Jack Johnson playing in class.

Yin/restorative: The complete and utter opposite of flow. This one would be really, really good for you right now, as it focuses on (mostly floor) poses which are designed to stretch out/strengthen your ligaments and organs. Poses are held for a really long time - anywhere from 5, to some times 20 minutes in a single pose. But, they aren't the kind of poses that take a lot of muscular strength to hold, so it's not as bad as that sounds. Very chill and relaxing. Also, there will be a lot of old ladies in these classes.

Iyengar - Hatha with props. High focus on alignment, done the way yoga was originally taught, starting with basic poses and slowly moving in to more advanced ones as you're actually ready for them. The props are used to help students safely do poses that they aren't fully able do to on their own due to limited flexibility. Iyengar's "Light on Yoga" is pretty much the Hatha yoga bible. I would highly recommend, if you can find a class near you.

These are the types of pose-based yoga that you will find most commonly taught in regular studios. There are many, many other schools, but most are less common and veer heavily in to Eastern philosophical and spiritual territory. They also usually aren't necessarily focused on doing physical yoga, as such.

Courtney
09-14-2011, 11:40 AM
I would like to put in a second vote for iyengar. It's my favorite.

locachica73
09-16-2011, 09:24 AM
Nick and I are going to take an intro yoga class this weekend. There is a place by my house that does the first class free so we are going to check it out. The price list seems kind of expensive though, does $17/class or $99/month unlimited seem expensive or am I just cheap?

Courtney
09-16-2011, 10:21 AM
Yeah, $17 is pretty ridiculous. Although yoga does tend to be expensive. I feel like $12-15 per class is about average.

I just take classes at my gym, because it's included in my monthly membership and doesn't cost anything extra. But for you and Nick, it might be worth calling around to see what yoga studios offer free or pay-what-you-want classes (many studios I have seen offer one or two classes per week like that). Or, look around to see if classes are offered by a local YMCA or community college or something like that.

locachica73
09-16-2011, 10:54 AM
We have a gym at my apartment or I would consider going that route, although that would be much cheaper even if we only used it for yoga. I did some googling for yoga places near my house and the ones I found were even more expensive. We are going to also be changing some of our eating habits and hitting up the gym. I might be visiting this thread more often.

I.F.A.
09-16-2011, 11:00 AM
Yoga is way overpriced - which is a large part of the reason that I stopped my last studio membership.

However, some studios do have specials or "community classes" at a discount rate (like $5 - 10). I used to go to the Bikram studio on Tatum and Thunderbird, and they did it every Friday.* Also, check the YMCA. A lot of them have yoga classes now, which are included in whatever the monthly membership cost is.

*I just checked their website, and they only do the community classes once a month now. Lame.

chairmenmeow47
09-17-2011, 12:13 AM
thanks so much :) i read about yin online and it does seem like a good start. i found with my yoga dvd i really disliked the instructor that did quick cardio type yoga, so thanks for explaining what it's called so i know to avoid it. it seems counter yoga because the benfit for me is holding the poses properly and becoming strong.

i doubt i'll take more than one class a week once i get going and will mainly work from home, but i think the classes will ensure i'm posing properly. i wish i had a space to put mirrors.

audra, the YMCA down the street from me offers $10 classes. it's bike riding distance which is an extra bonus. it seems like different YMCAs offer different classes so be sure to check the location you want has the classes you want. i'm bummed the YMCA near me does not off pilates.

it'll be prolly two weeks at least before i'm ready. i've been walking 20-30 minutes a day and that's%2

locachica73
09-17-2011, 06:43 AM
We went to the gym this morning, 5 minutes on the eliptical and 10 minutes on the stationary bike. It's pretty sad how much that wore me out. I am so out of shape. :(

yeahfontaine
09-17-2011, 10:13 AM
My husband and I went to the same yoga studio for like 3 years but recently (mostly due to lack of funds we once had) we realized that we know all the poses, know the chronology, understand how to modify poses and what to tweak to get the most out of our practice, and we have each other for motivation. We even have a space heater to heat up the room so we can do the Barkan method we're used to. (Barkan is rarely mentioned but such a cool type of yoga--look it up!)

So we sat down and spent a couple of hours creating a few different series of poses and every other day we've been getting out our mats and doing a 45 minute to hour-long practice together. SO awesome! I miss our instructor 'cause she was so awesome but I'm pretty excited about the $200 savings each month and the fact that we can still reap the benefits of yoga.

If you want to do something similar, I recommend buying a set of cards called The Yoga Deck and laying them all out to plan your practice in advance. They include great descriptions and steps for each pose, an illustration of each pose and benefits/contraindications. Only about $10. Check them out here:

Yoga Deck @ Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Yoga-Deck-Poses-Meditations-Spirit/dp/0811828891)

chairmenmeow47
09-17-2011, 04:08 PM
how cool you and your husband have each other for support! i know after doing ballet i was able to do all the warmups from memory. i'll check out the yoga deck.

audra, i find the stationary bike kicks my ass. i was doing ten minutes at a time to strengthen the muscles supporting my lower back and i was beat!

Devin the Dude
09-17-2011, 04:24 PM
Even if I'm not attending Coachella, come April, ladies will be at my feet begging for this 4'10" sexybod.

Courtney
09-17-2011, 05:01 PM
Yeahfontaine, that's super awesome. I have a mat and blocks and occasionally practice at home, but I really have difficulty finding the motivation alone, and I also need help sometimes with correcting my alignment because I'm still at a beginner level in many ways (hence the blocks for modifications).

But whenever I do practice at home and can't decide what asanas I want to incorporate, I find flipping through "Light On Yoga" to be very helpful.

darkjustice
09-17-2011, 10:16 PM
Even if I'm not attending Coachella, come April, ladies will be at my feet begging for this 4'10" sexybod.

ilikeyourstyledude

algunz
09-17-2011, 10:35 PM
Yoga is great, but you really need to incorporate some cardio. Even just walking to dinner is better than nothing.

JustSteve
09-18-2011, 10:43 AM
Okay, so here's a brief rundown, in no particular order (snark provided at no extra cost):

Hatha - Pose/alignment oriented. This is what I started out with, however few studios teach straight Hatha classes any more, as they've fallen out of style - even though Hatha is the foundation of most yoga schools (the poses done in Bikram, for instance, are Hatha poses). In a straight Hatha class, the focus is on doing the poses correctly rather than quickly, so the pace tends to be slower and you hold poses for longer. It's a good way to learn the fundamentals before going in to a different type of yoga.

Bikram - Yoga Bootcamp: i.e. Hatha poses in 100 degrees. Very little spiritual discussion. Poses that really shouldn't be done by beginners. Cash Cow. (You know about this one).

Sumits - Hot. Bikram rip-off.

Kundalini - This is a yoga cult. I saw a documentary once where they called practitioners of this type of yoga "Kundaloonies"... and that's a pretty fair characterization. Heavy with new-age/hippie burn-outs, and slowly indoctrinates new practitioners. Heavy on meditation and focused manipulation of bodily energy. Very "get one with God... oh, and also, don a turban, wear only white, wake up at 3 am every day and take a cold shower before chanting for a couple of hours. Also, also: buy in to our VERY WEIRD and completely unscientific metaphysical philosophies. Also^3: give us money". Their spiritual slant is roughly based on Sikhism, as completely bastardized by Yogi Bhajan. Physically, this yoga is only tangentially based on Hatha, and focuses on a lot of repetitive movement. I actually really like a lot of the yoga sets they use (even if Yogi Bhajan pulled them out of his ass), which is how I got sucked in to it. Then I realized how crazy it all is when I did teacher training and the whole "play sane for the sake of the uninitiated" thing ended... To say something good about it: there is a strong musical element, and I do have to admit that I really dug the chanting. However, this one is definitely not for you. /rant

Ashtanga/Vinayasa/Anusara/Flow/Power - I call these sorts Yogarobics. You'll be doing lots. And lots. And lots. of Sun Salutations... usually at such a fast pace that there's no way to do them correctly (even in beginner classes, the pace tends to be too fast to focus on alignment in any serious way). Theoretically, the idea is aligning the body with the breath and going through the poses in organic, kinetic manner. In practice, form usually goes straight out the window, and these classes incorporate a lot of poses that Look Really Cool but shouldn't even be attempted by people who haven't been practicing for years. In my experience, teachers in this school are generally Beautiful Young People, and the classes are filled with a high ratio of cougers and/or surfer/hipster/band-wagon crunchy granola types. This is a great yoga for building strength and burning calories... even if you're doing it completely wrong. Also: injuries. I've also noticed a higher than usual air of smugness in these classes, and while they're more physically oriented they aren't completely exempt from the usual banal spiritual platitudes - and, if you do get a teacher that is in to the banal spiritual platitudes, they tend to be even more grating and shallow than usual. The last studio I went to regularly was heavy on the flow. While it can be fun, and I liked it for a while due to the work-out involved, it got old fast. Also: teachers in this school generally have shit taste in music, and you can expect to hear a lot of Jack Johnson playing in class.

Yin/restorative: The complete and utter opposite of flow. This one would be really, really good for you right now, as it focuses on (mostly floor) poses which are designed to stretch out/strengthen your ligaments and organs. Poses are held for a really long time - anywhere from 5, to some times 20 minutes in a single pose. But, they aren't the kind of poses that take a lot of muscular strength to hold, so it's not as bad as that sounds. Very chill and relaxing. Also, there will be a lot of old ladies in these classes.

Iyengar - Hatha with props. High focus on alignment, done the way yoga was originally taught, starting with basic poses and slowly moving in to more advanced ones as you're actually ready for them. The props are used to help students safely do poses that they aren't fully able do to on their own due to limited flexibility. Iyengar's "Light on Yoga" is pretty much the Hatha yoga bible. I would highly recommend, if you can find a class near you.

These are the types of pose-based yoga that you will find most commonly taught in regular studios. There are many, many other schools, but most are less common and veer heavily in to Eastern philosophical and spiritual territory. They also usually aren't necessarily focused on doing physical yoga, as such.

thanks for the breakdowns. i just started yoga this past week and have attended 2 classes so far. yesterday was yoga blend which pulls from different styles. trying to figure out where i want to go with this.

this week the new schedule starts at the studio i am going to and my main days will be tuesday and thursday mornings since both kids are in school then. the class i will be taking those days is called yogaworks(also the name of the studio) and is their signature class. description says "our signature classes balance precise instruction, alignment, breath, and fluid movement".

other classes i will prob. incorporate are:
asana fundamentals, to learn correct alignment, says it's iynengar influenced
meditation
yin yoga
therapeutics

pretty much pulling all of the classes from their "relax and revive" and "balance and heal" options, which is what i need most with my health issues.

Courtney
09-18-2011, 01:58 PM
Yoga is great, but you really need to incorporate some cardio. Even just walking to dinner is better than nothing.

IMO, it really depends on what type of yoga you are doing. There is some yoga that is a hell of a lot better cardio workout than walking. Although yes, there is also some yoga that is basically just laying on your back and taking a nap.

yeahfontaine
09-18-2011, 04:54 PM
IMO, it really depends on what type of yoga you are doing. There is some yoga that is a hell of a lot better cardio workout than walking. Although yes, there is also some yoga that is basically just laying on your back and taking a nap.

Yeah, I don't have a ton of experience with the "slower" methods but Barkan gets my heart-rate going quickly for an extended period of time because of the the vinyasas (fold and bend, plank, upward facing dog, downward facing dog, step forward) between each pose and it helps me build strength. Perfect combo in my opinion.

Oh, and thanks for the tip about "Light on Yoga". I'll definitely check it out.

TheScenestar
09-19-2011, 01:13 PM
Going into Week 5! Total weight lost since I started "Fitchella": 10lbs :dumbo

insbordnat
09-19-2011, 01:51 PM
About 200 days 'till weekend 1. Game on.

I reached out to a swim instructor. Not because I don't know how to swim, but as an adult, I'd really like to learn how to swim properly. My goal: triathalon in January (sprint). Apparently 4 sessions will get me enough technique that I can practice on my own and really improve cardio/distances. I'd like to get to do a 500m swim continuously without stops. My first tri will probably be in a pool, so that's #1 focus.

Also - decided to bite the bullet and buy a Vita-Mix blender. Now while I could just say fuck it and make some awesome blended drinks, the main use is for a morning "green"-ish drink. For the last week I've been making a drink with: spinach, kale, ginger, pear, NF yogurt, carrot, celery, and a splash of OJ. Really been feeling better and more energized.

The last prong is just getting back into the gym and eating better. I've been working a shit-ton of hours and haven't had a lot of time. But I need to sort out my priorities. I'm glad it's finally cooling off here (in Phx) too. Much better cycling weather.

I'm up to like 205 lbs. compared to 192 or so at Coachella '11. My goal is 175. 30 lbs...let's do this.

chiapet
09-19-2011, 02:02 PM
I've heard the Vita-Mix blenders are amazing but they're sooo expensive. I'm not sure how much I'd use one but your "drinks" sound great. :)

insbordnat
09-19-2011, 04:25 PM
They are expensive. But I've gone through 3 blenders in the last 3 years making things like hummus, mole, chile colorado, and various marinades that bogged down the Osterizers I've owned. When I worked at Coffee Bean back in LA Vita-Mix was the taskmaster of choice. I just got a decent promotion and bonus so I said fuck it. Besides, they last forever.

chairmenmeow47
09-19-2011, 07:30 PM
Going into Week 5! Total weight lost since I started "Fitchella": 10lbs :dumbo

congratulations!

chiapet
09-19-2011, 07:33 PM
They are expensive. But I've gone through 3 blenders in the last 3 years making things like hummus, mole, chile colorado, and various marinades that bogged down the Osterizers I've owned. When I worked at Coffee Bean back in LA Vita-Mix was the taskmaster of choice. I just got a decent promotion and bonus so I said fuck it. Besides, they last forever.

Awesome. I'll have to give it a go eventually. For now, I just use a food processor any time I'm making soups, sauces or dips (I don't make drinks/smoothies right now, but your concoction really does sound great).

So, yea, anyway, I'm still off the wagon. Need to find the motivation this week to get back into it. One of my friends and I are planning a vacation near the end of the year. We're not certain on the destination yet, but it will involve swimsuits. :( :( :(

faxman75
09-20-2011, 11:53 AM
Glad you guys are keeping this place lively! I started a re-launch yesterday. It's finally cool enough for me at least (Under 105) to get back to basics. I was slow, it was difficult and painful but it was worth it! I actually feel like I get a challening workout when I hike. I haven't used some of those leg muscles in a long time and I could feel it. I'm also back to watching my diet and drinking a LOT of water.

Phase 2 of my re-launch is jogging in the mornings again. I hope to begin phase 2 asap but i'm back to being lazy which is no good. I must get up and do this.

psychic friend
09-20-2011, 12:19 PM
i am with in 10 pounds of my original goal. holla!

faxman75
09-20-2011, 12:26 PM
Way to go! You have certainly been working your ass off!

chairmenmeow47
09-20-2011, 12:44 PM
congratulations, dani! and glad to hear you're back on the wagon, faxy :)

i'm still keeping up my 20-30 minutes of walking each day, which is pretty tough considering all this pain. i hope to graduate to more soon. i've also been eating a lot healthier. i've hardly had any fast food at all in the past month, and have only had it when i had no other options.

EastLos01
09-20-2011, 01:17 PM

Thats awesome, congrats...

faxman75
09-20-2011, 01:20 PM
congratulations, dani! and glad to hear you're back on the wagon, faxy :)

i'm still keeping up my 20-30 minutes of walking each day, which is pretty tough considering all this pain. i hope to graduate to more soon. i've also been eating a lot healthier. i've hardly had any fast food at all in the past month, and have only had it when i had no other options.

I've been following what you're going through. It sounds awful. It's impressive that you still find the motivation to move that 20-30 minutes a day with that pain. I hope your recovery continues to go well!!

Oh and I just posted this on facebook so why not here.

Quick Tip: Remember, any thought, emotion, or behavior you consistently reinforce will become habit. Are you thinking and doing positive or negative things? Soon enough they will surely become habit, so choose wisely!

EastLos01
09-20-2011, 01:27 PM
CM47, I don't know what kind of pain you're in, but I hope that subsides in the near future. Low impact is def the way to go...

Thats great faxy, reminds me of this...
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

JustSteve
09-20-2011, 02:58 PM

YOU DA MAN!

I must admit, I have been impressed by your daily check ins at the gym on facebook. good job!

ThatGirl
09-21-2011, 09:52 AM
I've been sick with a respiratory infection and haven't been able to work out. Probably can't do anything until later this week. I feel like such a schlep. I hate not being able to dance. You guys sound like you are all doing great though! Keep up the good work!

marooko
09-21-2011, 10:01 AM
I just got done with a work out, funny this thread should come up. I'll be doing another later today. I'm not getting ready for Coachella, I'm getting ready to post in the naked thread.

PF, you gonna finally post a pic when you reach your goal? I already know the answer.

PlayaDelWes
09-21-2011, 10:19 AM
help!!!

http://i52.tinypic.com/29biwaw.jpg

Hannahrain
09-21-2011, 10:21 AM
Nice, I've made ten pounds on my initial investment.

marooko
09-21-2011, 10:25 AM
hahahaha. Wow.

faxman75
09-21-2011, 10:38 AM
I hiked again yesterday. I've gone from 18.5 minutes to 23 minutes. Oh well, I now have something to work back towards. I feel like I get a far better workout from hiking than the elliptical. At the end of my hike i'm completely spent, i'm sore the next day and I feel absolutely satisfied and accomplished. After 25 minutes on the elliptical I feel sweaty and that's on level 7-8 and it only goes up to 10. Needless to say the hike is the ass kickery I desire and will continue to do. I'm thankful for the cooler weather.

I'm shooting for a Monday return to AM exercise to really kick things back into high gear. I have quit using my mile tracking app for the meantime as well. It's nice to free of it. Once I need more challenges i'll use it again but for now i'm just getting back into the swing of things. I'm trying to ignore all numbers at the moment because I don't want anything silly to discourage me. No calorie counting, no timing my hike and no scale for at least the next month.

I'm going to Europe over Thanksgiving, it's going to be nice to be in better shape for that trip than I was last Thanksgiving at 300 lbs.

Courtney
09-21-2011, 07:24 PM
Go faxman go! I agree that hiking is better than using the elliptical -- if only because I feel like I'm actually going somewhere. Although there is certainly a time and a place for elliptical workouts (bad weather, working out before sunrise or after sunset, no time for an extended hike, etc).

Courtney
09-21-2011, 07:29 PM
I wore my heart rate monitor all day today, just out of curiosity. I have discovered that my my bicycle commute to work is around 30 minutes and puts me in the heart rate range of 145-160 BPM. So that's quite good that I'm doing that twice daily.

The bad news is that the rest of the day I'm just sitting around on my butt and my heart rate is 55-65 BPM. So I think I need to think about ways I can sit less and move more at work.

chiapet
09-21-2011, 07:32 PM
If you must sit, perhaps you can make better use of the time. What about an exercise ball? Sitting on one for even part of the day would be useful for core strength. If your cube/office is somewhat private, you could probably even sneak in some crunches and such. :)

Mark had mentioned before... make a point to take stairs instead of elevators. Maybe if you drink coffee or tea, make a real "break" of it, and take a short walk while you drink it? Go a few blocks further than you normally would for lunch?

psychic friend
09-22-2011, 10:31 AM
i think i have said this before but everyone get a pedometer. if for nothing but guilt factor. you know that 10K steps a day recommendation? (about 5 miles) you would be shocked how few steps you do unless you actually commit to spending a good lenght of time moving. our entire company is on some 8 week pedometer competition. The only days I get to or exceed 10K steps are days where I go to the gym for at least an hour and walk the dog a few times. If I have a "rest" day (meaning no gym), I barely get to 5K steps. I look at it and feel so disgusted I will walk in place or in circles around my living room out of guilt.
It also helps pound into my brain that the gym must be a permanent part of my life.

I think my high step count is around 24K. that includes 2 hours at the gym and lots of additional walking like shopping and going to a show, etc. reality check.

faxman75
09-22-2011, 10:44 AM
Yesterday was day 3 of hiking. It's kicking my ass good. I keep trying to push myself harder but god damn my heart is going to pop out of my chest and my lungs even start to hurt so i'm going to be patient and just build back up gradually.

I need new hiking shoes. After 5+ months of use the $15 pair from payless is just about shot. I'm getting crap in my shoes and they are tore up pretty bad.

Also, if anyone has a recommendation for a pair of black fitness shoes in size 12W let me know. I'm looking for something I could use to both jog in and wear with a nice pair of pants. I hate having to travel with 2 pairs of shoes and I figure someone has to make a nice black hybrid type shoe. I hate shoe shopping.

chiapet
09-22-2011, 10:54 AM
I'd love to think that I walk more than most people do (due to living in SF and not having a car), but the reality is that I'm pretty lazy and take the bus usually. The bus stops in front of my office and in front of my apartment, so I don't have to walk too far on a daily basis. When I think about it, I probably walk less than 15 blocks each day, unless I go out of my way to walk to the grocery store or something.

marooko
09-22-2011, 11:08 AM
I eat enough as it is. Now that I;m working out again, I'm hungry ALL THE FUCKING TIME!!

I'll be taking a 12mi. bike ride in November. Not very long, but it's for a charity event, so that and exercise is the main purpose.

Almost forgot, legitimate lunges are serious fucking business. DAMN!!

faxman75
09-22-2011, 11:09 AM
I noticed that too Maroo. When I exercise a lot, my already enormous appetite increases to ungodly amounts of food intake.

marooko
09-22-2011, 11:11 AM
Last night I ate right before dinner. Got up this morning feeling like I haven't eaten in days. It makes sense, and considering my metabolism I'm not overly concerned. It's just, well, it's getting expensive. haha.

insbordnat
09-22-2011, 12:25 PM
Went to the gym last night and squeezed in a quickie leg workout while listening to the newest Trouble & Bass Smashcast (highly recommended btw). Let's just say my leg presses have dropped down to 270 but I'm feeling well crippled today.

faxman75
09-24-2011, 12:30 PM
Great hike today. Halfway through instead of slowing down I was able to pick up the pace a bit. As much as I tried to ignore time it looks like i'm already back around 20 minutes so it only took me about 4 days to get within a minute or two of my best times. I now walk from my apartment to the trail, I used to drive over but I figure the walk is a good warm up and cool down. Nicer weather today too, not nearly as hot. I also wish they didn't make honey mixed peanut butter because I is eating it at night with umm some dry cereal? My creations equal that of an 8 year old.

RageAgainstTheAoki
09-24-2011, 06:01 PM
So, I haven't posted in here for a while because I've been sort of lax on my workouts; at least compared to my previous schedule. I've been working long hours and traveling for work, as my new company is going through a crazy amount of expansion in just a few months. That being said, I have been able to squeeze in an average of 3 days of HIIT a week and 2-3 days of weights. As a result, I haven't given up any ground and have been able to maintain all my losses. Which, with my absolutely dreadful metabolism, is not too shabby. As of this weekend, I'm down 55 lbs since last year. Don't have a specific number goal. I think I'll just know it when I see it. Feels pretty good to be where I am, though. Thank goodness I'm making more money at my new job. In a couple of months, I'm going to have to start buying a whole new wardrobe.

locachica73
09-26-2011, 12:19 PM
So I suck at working out, I don't mind doing it, I actually enjoy the soreness in my muscles when I do somehow work up the energy, but working up the energy/motivation just hasn't happened. I am trying to eat better though. Today for lunch I went to the grocery store instead of the drive through. I bought some whole wheat pita pockets and english muffins, turkey, ham, hummus, apples, carrots and peanut butter, although I forgot any kind of vegis for my sandwich which made it very boring, but I am going back tonight. I am going to try to eat more often, I think only eating once or twice a day is one of my many bad habits I need to break. Now if I could just work up the motivation to go for a walk after work, or visit the gym or something.

bmack86
09-26-2011, 12:46 PM
I need to have my parents visiting less. My mom and I went to Roscoe's for breakfast this morning. I'm still full three hours later.

TheScenestar
09-27-2011, 05:15 PM
189 today. Lost 12 lbs in 6 weeks! Too bad I might be pigging out on my birthday party Friday and gaining 2 of them back minimum.

Kyliediscope
09-28-2011, 06:08 PM
I weighed myself and am at 151 from 192.
I would like to lose 10-15 more pounds.
I am pretty content with my progress, though.

RageAgainstTheAoki
09-28-2011, 06:13 PM
Congrats, you two! ^

bmack86
09-28-2011, 07:35 PM
At weigh in this morning, 177. When I started Fitchella about a year ago I was 218.

nine day brawl
09-28-2011, 11:27 PM
Weighed in at 171 this morning...down 19 lbs from 4 weeks ago...due to pneumonia :(

I was at a happy weight, but alas. Gym time starts next week as I've missed a month due to coughing my lungs out and I'm still getting my appetite back, not to mention my endurance is shit right now.

faxman75
09-29-2011, 08:33 AM
Listen to the all the weight loss wins in this thread! Congrats everyone. Keep it up unless of course it all came from being sick in which case, get better!

chairmenmeow47
09-29-2011, 08:52 AM
Listen to the all the weight loss wins in this thread! Congrats everyone. Keep it up unless of course it all came from being sick in which case, get better!

agreed :) great work everyone!

i'm a bit frustrated. i've been exercising daily, eating right, eating moderately, and not drinking, yet i weigh more than i've ever weighed in my LIFE. i know i'm recovering from surgery, and also dealing with the medical issue still and that health is the most important thing, but FUCK! i'm pretty sure it's the birth control i have to take :( so i guess it could be worse, but i'm finding this extremely disheartening. i wouldn't even care so much if i could fit into my work clothes.

i'm going to probably try phase 1 of south beach again just to fit into my clothes. it's been hard to cut out carbs entirely because of all the nausea i've been dealing with. i guess i can be happy i'm sticking with it though.

faxy, i think we need a hike sometime soon :)

faxman75
09-29-2011, 09:04 AM
faxy, i think we need a hike sometime soon :)

Definitely. I'm free after work Monday - Wednesdays or if a weekend works better i'm gone the next two but i'll be here October 15/16th. I hope your recovery continues to go well too :)

I really need to step things up. Traveling and lack of will power are making the eating aspect difficult. I'm still exercising just not as often. I do plan on getting a lot of walking in this weekend in New Jersey and my sister says she has gym time planned for us next weekend in Idaho so that's at least keeping me from gaining too much. I just purchased some black gym shoes for traveling, now I need some new cross trainers for hiking.

ThatGirl
09-29-2011, 01:05 PM
I'm on another business trip that has consisted of delectable asian cuisine, red wine, and pasta. Also missed a Zumba class yesterday due to being away. I need a first class kick in the ass to behave myself! Everyone here is doing so great and I feel like I've hit a wall.

faxman75
09-29-2011, 03:10 PM
Oh, i've definitely hit the wall and could use that kick in the ass too!

insbordnat
09-29-2011, 03:11 PM
i'm going to probably try phase 1 of south beach again just to fit into my clothes. it's been hard to cut out carbs entirely because of all the nausea i've been dealing with. i guess i can be happy i'm sticking with it though.

I don't know if now is the time to be cutting out food groups as your bod is healing. I've been a huge proponent of Body For Life (BFL) b/c it stresses whole grains (no white flour or sugar), healthy proteins, and lots of exercise. Instead of cutting out carbs, it's more focused on quality of carbs. Bad fats and other shitty things are cut out completely but that'd be the same on any program.

I'm on another business trip that has consisted of delectable asian cuisine, red wine, and pasta. Also missed a Zumba class yesterday due to being away. I need a first class kick in the ass to behave myself! Everyone here is doing so great and I feel like I've hit a wall.

Somehow I misread this that you need a fist in the ass. But in all seriousness, now is the time to pick yourself up by the bootstraps and jump back in. I ate a quesadilla on Monday that I beat myself up over. I'm now shoving nonfat plain greek yogurt down my gullet as we speak and chompin' on an apple. But remember...eyes on the prize.

chairmenmeow47
09-29-2011, 03:49 PM
yeah, i've been eating quality carbs. i really just haven't wanted to eat much; i've been so nauseous all the time. i don't think i'll be doing it for a few weeks, but my surgery was a month ago so i think i'd be ok.

psychic friend
09-29-2011, 04:03 PM
i finally started incorporating weights. The first time (in a long time) was this weekend. im still sore. Then I did this morning again. I am going to plan for 3 times a week at least for about 1/2 hour.. about 8 machines. i hope this kicks in soon. im at a stand still.

insbordnat
09-29-2011, 05:35 PM
Weights are really a must. Soreness will persist for a while but like NKOTB said, hang tough.

I'll post again, but if you haven't checked out exrx.net you are missing out. Loads of great info on that site about both machines and freeweights.

ThatGirl
09-30-2011, 11:49 AM
Somehow I misread this that you need a fist in the ass.

Perhaps if we were in the Confessions thread! LOL..But yes you are absolutely right - quality carbs is the way to go - and no more boozing! (Like that's gonna happen)

Newro7ic
09-30-2011, 02:42 PM
I purchased some of the Bowflex dumbells, they are amazing.

I work out for an hour a day, and then generally get in about 45 minutes of cardio on top of that (walking, about 4 miles). I do this everyday

I've lost 50lbs since late May. I'm at 225 right now, which quite a bit is muscle mass. Still a few extra pounds to lose. My goal is another 15-20 and see what's what.

Just checking in, as I haven't been on here much lately.

chairmenmeow47
09-30-2011, 03:21 PM
way to go newro7ic!

RageAgainstTheAoki
09-30-2011, 05:03 PM
I purchased some of the Bowflex dumbells, they are amazing.

I work out for an hour a day, and then generally get in about 45 minutes of cardio on top of that (walking, about 4 miles). I do this everyday

I've lost 50lbs since late May. I'm at 225 right now, which quite a bit is muscle mass. Still a few extra pounds to lose. My goal is another 15-20 and see what's what.

Just checking in, as I haven't been on here much lately.

Very similar experience.^ Congrats, Newro! I have the 1090s at home and only use the gym for cardio now. I love these dumbbells. Finally, something works as promised.

ThatGirl
10-03-2011, 10:13 AM
Today is a new day - with a new attitude. Ever since I began working from home, I've been in a schleppy state. Since I don't shower immediately when I get up, and just start work over coffee in my PJ's, it's been a bad habit to stay in. It is easier for me to be motivated for my day and to eat right when I get up, shower, dress, put make up on etc. It just makes me feel better about myself. Also as of today, it's a new leaf for food intake. I've put 5 lbs on in the last 2 weeks and i'ts my mission to take them off by the 15th. That gives me two weeks. I am in another Flashmob so I'm going to be dancing 5 days/week for practice and Zumba combined, so if I'm disciplined and can focus on drinking water and eating right I can lean out again! I also tend to get puffy when I eat lots of salt or dairy, especially in my face. I'm sick of it! Time to re-focus and get down to business! :) I'll keep you all posted on how it goes. Wish me luck!

psychic friend
10-05-2011, 12:22 PM
5.5 pounds away from my original goal.

Mr. Fuzz
10-05-2011, 01:19 PM
Good job PF!

I was riding the stationary bike the other day and the asshole next to me smelled like cigs so bad. It's already hard to breath when you are going full steam on the bike...I should have said something.

Another complaint is the dudes that think that it's okay to cut their toe nails in the locker room. Really? You fucking assholes.

psychic friend
10-05-2011, 02:07 PM
For your reading pleasure.. some neat tidbits
13 Things You Never Knew About Your Weight (http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/health/13-things-you-never-knew-about-your-weight-2574152/#photoViewer=1)

keeshonjohnson
10-11-2011, 06:24 PM
Ahhhhhhhh! I am in my 3rd week of a new job after not working for 5 years and I can't figure out where to put gym/yoga time :(

insbordnat
10-12-2011, 06:10 AM
It's a little quiet in here. Nobody would be slipping now, would they?!

faxman75
10-12-2011, 07:31 AM
I'm still doing alright. I jogged with my sister in Idaho on Saturday morning. She teaches at a high school and we jogged that track for a mile. Also did some bike riding in Idaho. Yesterday I hiked the trail by my house and i've been eating pretty balanced as well. I do need to step things up at some point because I have quite a bit more weight to lose but i'm glad I haven't backslid or started to put on the pounds again.

chairmenmeow47
10-12-2011, 07:43 AM
i think i'll be ready for hiking at the end of the month, faxy.

i'm such a tard. i never noticed that the dial on the bottom of my scale sets the baseline for zero and i'd been thinking i weighed waaaaaaaaaay more than i do. i'm still not where i want to be, but it's not nearly as bad as i thought.

i am still working out though. it's a 20-25 minutes walk from the project building i'm normally in to the corporate office where my normal desk is and i sometimes i have meetings. since it's been slow for me lately, yesterday i walked over for a meeting and walked back. i'm also doing yoga about once a week and hoping to make it twice a week soon, though i'm still sore. it's frustrating having to still take it easy and lie down a lot, but at least i'm doing something.

also, i am new to thinking about calories, but i think it's about time i start. any good app recommendations for easy calorie counting?

lastly, way to go, PF! :)

faxman75
10-12-2011, 10:14 AM
i think i'll be ready for hiking at the end of the month, faxy.

Sounds good! Let me know whenever you are ready.

ThatGirl
10-12-2011, 10:16 AM
also, i am new to thinking about calories, but i think it's about time i start. any good app recommendations for easy calorie counting?

lastly, way to go, PF! :)

SparkPeople.com is a great website for tracking food, calories and overall intake. It worked really well for me. It's every bit as good as WW online and it's totally free.

chairmenmeow47
10-12-2011, 10:17 AM
is just a website or do they have an app too? ideally i'm looking for something i could update on my computer or phone.