PDA

View Full Version : Greatest band ever?

tklint24
03-13-2007, 07:20 PM
I believe that Rage against the Machine is the greatest and most influential band of the past 17 years (they came out in 1990 with their self-titled album) At the same time, i think Air sucks....comments?

Boourns
03-13-2007, 08:35 PM
Stop listening to the local hard rock station. Thank you.

RATMan
03-13-2007, 08:49 PM
I believe that Rage against the Machine is the greatest and most influential band of the past 17 years (they came out in 1990 with their self-titled album)

Their self-titled album came out in June of 1992, douche.

Some fan you are.

I hope you have diarrhea during their set

http://www.outpost-daria.com/images/diarrhea.jpg

Mr.Nipples
03-13-2007, 09:02 PM
*sigh*...this again.

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p156/aznwokkingofva/BlackFlag2.jpg

RATMan
03-13-2007, 09:07 PM
I've heard it before
Don't wanna hear it again

captncrzy
03-14-2007, 08:02 AM
Stupidest thread ever...

Most influential? Seriously.
Buddy Holly
James Brown
Sugarhill Gang
Joy Division
Chuck Berry
Metallica
The Velvet Underground
Led Zep
Elvis Presley
Elvis Costello
...just to name a few. I don't have time to list all of the bands that are definatley more influental.

hangthedj112
03-14-2007, 09:52 AM
You've obviously never heard Radiohead.

bartelby
03-14-2007, 10:03 AM
i second that

Changoloco
03-14-2007, 10:16 AM
You obviously haven't been to your local open-mic lately. Everyone knows that this is the "Greatest Band of all Time". RATM can't shake a stick at the D.

http://thecia.com.au/reviews/t/images/tenacious-d-in-the-pick-of-destiny-2.jpg

SojuGorae
03-14-2007, 10:18 AM
Where's that photo of Rage Against The Machine naked?

Those motherfuckers had some serious size difficiencies.

betao
03-14-2007, 10:36 AM
you can find it on wikipedia. The protest at Lolla 93

captncrzy
03-14-2007, 11:27 AM

Yeah, that was an obvious one I missed!

André
03-14-2007, 11:30 AM
I believe that Rage against the Machine is the greatest and most influential band of the past 17 years (they came out in 1990 with their self-titled album) At the same time, i think Air sucks....comments?

rage is the greatest!

Tylerdurden31
03-14-2007, 11:36 AM
Radiohead, Nirvana, Fugazi, At The Drive-In...all far more influential.

Alchemy
03-14-2007, 11:42 AM
At the same time, i think Air sucks....comments?

You don't deserve to speak.

fober
03-14-2007, 11:52 AM
As popular as they were/are, they're certainly still unique.

I don't think their "sound" has since been recreated by another band.

jamesc2929
03-14-2007, 11:54 AM

You must have been smoking CRACK when you wrote this!!!! Most influential? AIR sucks? Pass the pipe!!!

betao
03-14-2007, 03:05 PM
The only thing RATM has bragging rights for is being the most successful band to combine rock and rap. Period.

Their music is great, but they are certainly not the most influential band of all time.

thinnerair
03-14-2007, 03:47 PM
The Beatles, you retards.

Sexecutioner
03-14-2007, 05:06 PM
Zep

woogie846
03-14-2007, 05:31 PM

Finally.

To name a few:

The Beatles
The Pixies
Radiohead
Queen

hangthedj112
03-14-2007, 05:40 PM
Even in just the past 17 years there's quite a few bands better than Rage.

matsuolost
03-14-2007, 06:05 PM
RA D IO HEAD

Kampy
03-14-2007, 06:24 PM
Your personal pick would be Rage

My personal pick would be Radiohead

I like Air a lot. You don't.

We know you think RATM Rulez. go write it on your Trapper Keeper

idrive1life
03-14-2007, 06:35 PM
RA D IO HEAD

Eureka ... that's the password in the Radiohead presale!

sydaud
03-14-2007, 06:59 PM

Yeah, pretty much (but I guess it wouldn't be much of a thread)----you want serious, introspective music done right? Listen to the first three cuts on Beatles For Sale : "No Reply", "I'm A Loser" and "Baby's In Black". They cornered the market on pop, psychedelia and, with just those three songs above, were decades in front of "emo".....

hammered
03-14-2007, 07:19 PM
TooL

tklint24
03-14-2007, 10:48 PM
I'm 21, so the beatles and james brown and shit aren't in my era. The only group that may be more influential is Radiohead, and perhaps Nine Inch Nails, but Rage is the greatest.

boarderwoozel3
03-14-2007, 11:03 PM
Metallica is bigger than Rage.

captncrzy
03-15-2007, 07:47 AM
I'm 21, so the beatles and james brown and shit aren't in my era. The only group that may be more influential is Radiohead, and perhaps Nine Inch Nails, but Rage is the greatest.

Your age has nothing to do with their level of influence.

shotglass75
03-15-2007, 08:54 AM
Isn't it cute to see the kids these days with their thoughts on music. Awwwwwweeeee.

Will someone school this guy?

Proadict
03-15-2007, 10:07 AM
pink floyd is more influential than Rage

tklint24
03-16-2007, 02:39 AM
hard rock/hip hop wise they're the most.

Tylerdurden31
03-16-2007, 06:05 AM

as one single genre? Maybe...but if we're talking in both hard rock and hip hop...absolutely not

jigawig
03-20-2007, 09:31 AM

For anyone who knows music, The Beatles ARE the most influential band of all time...they were the first to do anything...first "long hair" (for their time period it was long)...first concept album...etc etc...rock and roll as we know it pretty much got its roots from The Beatles

André
03-20-2007, 09:34 AM
For anyone who knows music, The Beatles ARE the most influential band of all time...they were the first to do anything...first "long hair" (for their time period it was long)...first concept album...etc etc...rock and roll as we know it pretty much got its roots from The Beatles

no no no and no!

ediger
03-20-2007, 12:15 PM
You don't deserve to speak.

I think Air sucks, can I still talk?

I promise I won't mention the fact that Air sucks... :p

jigawig
03-20-2007, 01:29 PM
no no no and no!

just out of curiousity, how is any of what i said false

crazzz2007
03-20-2007, 06:13 PM
just out of curiousity, how is any of what i said false

everything you said was false, although the beatles ARE still the most influential band ever.

First concept album? BULLSHIT. There were literally dozens of concept album before the beatles came out with their concept album, and many came out before the beatles even formed. Some examples: Woody Guthrie's Dust Bowl Ballads (1940), Frank Sinatra's The Voice of Frank Sinatra (1945), Ray Charles's The Genius Hits The Road (1960), The Beach Boys' Little Deuce Coupe (1963).

the beatles as the roots of rock and roll? have you heard of robert johnson? big joe turner? fats domino? elvis presley? bo didley? buddy holly? richard valens? you're a fuking moron if you think the beatles are the roots of rock.

First band with long hair? What the hell does that even mean? Why is that even important? I can't think of an example off the top of my head, but I am sure the beatles weren't the first band with long hair.

bigc1
03-20-2007, 07:23 PM
bob dylan, the beatles, james brown, beach boys, buddy holly, stevie wonder, chuck berry, velvet underground, the clash

betao
03-20-2007, 07:52 PM
everything you said was false, although the beatles ARE still the most influential band ever.

First concept album? BULLSHIT. There were literally dozens of concept album before the beatles came out with their concept album, and many came out before the beatles even formed. Some examples: Woody Guthrie's Dust Bowl Ballads (1940), Frank Sinatra's The Voice of Frank Sinatra (1945), Ray Charles's The Genius Hits The Road (1960), The Beach Boys' Little Deuce Coupe (1963).

the beatles as the roots of rock and roll? have you heard of robert johnson? big joe turner? fats domino? elvis presley? bo didley? buddy holly? richard valens? you're a fuking moron if you think the beatles are the roots of rock.

First band with long hair? What the hell does that even mean? Why is that even important? I can't think of an example off the top of my head, but I am sure the beatles weren't the first band with long hair.

http://www.imagehosting.com/out.php/i365116_kittyowned.jpg (http://www.imagehosting.com)

tklint24
03-20-2007, 08:42 PM
ok, ok, ok...they may not be one of the most influential....but they are the greatest band of all time.

betao
03-20-2007, 08:54 PM
ok, ok, ok...they may not be one of the most influential....but they are one of the greatest rap/rock combination bands of all time.

Fixed.

bonerfromgrowingpains
03-20-2007, 11:07 PM
rage is the greatest!
i swear to god i hate you more than any human ive NEVER met in my life...
by the time you are 20 years old...your musical views will hopefully change for the better...PS at the festival i.ll be the guy wearing the t-shirt that reads
"andre from denmark is a fucking moron"

bonerfromgrowingpains
03-20-2007, 11:08 PM
ok, ok, ok...they may not be one of the most influential....but they are the greatest band of all time.

pss.i hate you too

jigawig
03-21-2007, 12:08 AM
http://www.imagehosting.com/out.php/i365116_kittyowned.jpg (http://www.imagehosting.com)

ill give you the first one because im not certain (i did take a class on the history of jazz to rock and that is what was stated by the professor and the book)...on the second one; we are talking about "bands", not a singer with a rotating group (you fucking moron)...and the third one, (not that its important, but a lot of band members in rock bands have long hair) if you watch the documentary "imagine: john lennon" when they come to the u.s. an interviewer asks the group as a whole if they are going to cut their long hair...SCHOOLED...OWNED..blah, blah, blah

crazzz2007
03-21-2007, 04:03 PM
ill give you the first one because im not certain (i did take a class on the history of jazz to rock and that is what was stated by the professor and the book)...on the second one; we are talking about "bands", not a singer with a rotating group (you fucking moron)...and the third one, (not that its important, but a lot of band members in rock bands have long hair) if you watch the documentary "imagine: john lennon" when they come to the u.s. an interviewer asks the group as a whole if they are going to cut their long hair...SCHOOLED...OWNED..blah, blah, blah

you ignorant piece of shit. are you really basing your knowledge of rock on some stupid course you took in college? god, you are pitiful.

Natelevmofuggaz
03-21-2007, 04:09 PM
Red Sparowes.

tricky
03-21-2007, 06:33 PM
the answer to this thread is of course Radiohead. Also the D

jigawig
03-21-2007, 08:42 PM
you ignorant piece of shit. are you really basing your knowledge of rock on some stupid course you took in college? god, you are pitiful.

is that all you can come up with ("basing your knowledge of rock...blah, blah, blah"), lets see...a chemist bases his knowledge of chemistry on courses he took in school, a biologist bases his knowledge of biology on courses he took in school, an attorney bases his knowledge of law on courses he took in school, etc etc...what are you going to say next, that britney spears, jessica simpson, justin timberlake, and madonna are all BANDS (retard)...and whats with the aggression, this is a friendly poll...lay off the juice or go get laid, whatever you need to do to chill

crazzz2007
03-22-2007, 12:12 AM
is that all you can come up with ("basing your knowledge of rock...blah, blah, blah"), lets see...a chemist bases his knowledge of chemistry on courses he took in school, a biologist bases his knowledge of biology on courses he took in school, an attorney bases his knowledge of law on courses he took in school, etc etc...

in other words, i was right.....you're basing your knowledge of rock music on some course you took.....HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

jigawig
03-22-2007, 12:20 AM
in other words, i was right.....you're basing your knowledge of rock music on some course you took.....HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

well, i guess you win...your some stupid 30 year old who thinks that he knows music...seems to me that you base your knowledge on "current/trendy" music...sure you know the names albums of some albums before your time, but does that make you a music guro (i guess it does because you know everything there is to know about music)...also, im not basing my knowledge solely on the course, but also on what other musicians have said...im impressed you know music other than what is shown on mtv...on a positive note, im glad to see that you got laid and the anger is no longer in you...we can actually have a debate without you having a heart attack

ediger
03-22-2007, 08:43 AM

I completely stopped paying attention after you said you took a music history class. What's the point? So some overpaid professor can give you his opinions on the formation of rock music? No thank you, I'll form my own opinions, thank you very much. And the hair thing... worst argument ever.

ediger
03-22-2007, 08:46 AM
well, i guess you win...your some stupid 30 year old who thinks that he knows music...seems to me that you base your knowledge on "current/trendy" music...sure you know the names albums of some albums before your time, but does that make you a music guro (i guess it does because you know everything there is to know about music)...also, im not basing my knowledge solely on the course, but also on what other musicians have said...im impressed you know music other than what is shown on mtv...on a positive note, im glad to see that you got laid and the anger is no longer in you...we can actually have a debate without you having a heart attack

Again, someone who can play a guitar tells you something is good, so it therefore is?

jigawig
03-22-2007, 10:05 AM
Again, someone who can play a guitar tells you something is good, so it therefore is?

im not saying that because i professor said something is good that that makes it so...im saying that The Beatles creating the first concept album was stated by the professor and written in the book...i make my own opinions, i dont make opinions based on other peoples'...so let me guess, you also dont believe in the holocaust just because the leader of iran says that it never happened, it is in books and taught in school

ediger
03-22-2007, 10:56 AM
im not saying that because i professor said something is good that that makes it so...im saying that The Beatles creating the first concept album was stated by the professor and written in the book...i make my own opinions, i dont make opinions based on other peoples'...so let me guess, you also dont believe in the holocaust just because the leader of iran says that it never happened, it is in books and taught in school

Oooooook, you sir can go fuck yourself. You even SUGGEST that I would ever deny the hallocaust, I will find you in Cali and rip you limb from fucking limb. Face it, you're dumb ass prof is factually wrong. There were plenty of concept albums before the Beatles.

roberto73
03-22-2007, 11:45 AM
so let me guess, you also dont believe in the holocaust just because the leader of iran says that it never happened, it is in books and taught in school

Winner of the silliest argument ever? How did we go from The Beatles having long hair to Holocaust denial? The leap in logic gave me whiplash.

TRIPYEOOT
03-22-2007, 11:45 AM
I thought this post was greatest band ever - not most influential - And although I would give my life for Rage I would find it hard to say they are the most influential - then again it's easy to say bands like Zepplin and TVU and cats like James Brown and The King were influential - they had thier peak when people were easily influenced - We're too smart now - to media savy - it's alot harder for a band today to pass along thier message - and no one - NO ONE - does it better than Rage - Most influential - NO - Most Inspirational - I think they are near the top of the list - Best Band Ever - without a doubt.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
03-22-2007, 12:11 PM
Unless thread...

BIRDYSANDFLOWERS
03-22-2007, 01:01 PM
OKAY I STILL SAY THE BEATLES, PROBABLY MOST INFLUENCIAL BAND I LOVE THEM!

André
03-22-2007, 01:35 PM
RAGE RULES ALL, you pussy's cant handel it

dontfeedthebird
03-22-2007, 02:05 PM
Yeah, that's why I voted Massive Attack. I can handle them.

thefunkylama
03-22-2007, 03:42 PM
Yeah this thread is full of retardery.

F/O/X/Y/5
03-22-2007, 07:57 PM
Rage is for hippies and we all know the gratefull dead is the biggest hippi band. so right there rage losses to another hippi band. Lol the biggest band out there is your local homeless guy that sings.

Mr.Nipples
03-22-2007, 08:06 PM
Rage is for hippies and we all know the gratefull dead is the biggest hippi band. so right there rage losses to another hippi band. Lol the biggest band out there is your local homeless guy that sings.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t39/RetardoTronFiveThousand/thebrood.gif

crazzz2007
03-23-2007, 04:30 PM

first, i don't listen to much "current/trendy" music.

second, anyone who argues that a band is influential because they had long hair has got to be a complete idiot.

third, anyone who references a music course on rock music is obviously clueless about rock music.

fourth, what does age have to do with knowledge?

fifth, your main point was that the beatles came out with the first concept album. i blew that argument right out of the water, yet you keep fooling yourself into thinking that you somehow "won" this argument.

sixth, i never claimed i'm a music guru. i am NOT a music guru. but i'm confident that even my 12 year old little cousin knows more about music than you do, and that's not saying much because you obviously don't know shit about music.

i suggest you get the hell out of here. stop posting. you have nothing to add.

ayates
03-23-2007, 04:36 PM
http://www.truemetal.org/metalwallpaper/images/grimreaperseeyouinhell.jpg

Trailmix
03-24-2007, 06:36 AM

I hope you do not mean both genres. If you are referring to rap-metal sure they are but I can only name one other band in that genre that is even worth listening to Faith No More.

Razimus
03-24-2007, 05:11 PM
To the dude that started this thread.... rage the most influential band in the past 17 years? haha.. yeah right, I need not direct you to any music experts or historians you can look it up if you want. Nirvana by far is the #1 most influential band in the past 16 years, I'm guessing you're too young to remember rage's influence accurately, when their first major label album was released I specifically remember everyone saying they sucked ass, this was a common attitude even 5 years after that, sure their influence seems to appear more dominant due to some copycats in the past few years but I can say the same thing about blink182, they also influenced a genre but they suck. Before Nirvana the previous most influential band was probably the Jimi Hendrix Experience, before that the Beatles etc...

tklint24
03-24-2007, 06:09 PM
Alright, I guess I was wrong when I said they are the most "influential"....they are one of the top 3 most influential groups ever....but they are FOR SURE the greatest band of all time. No one ever heard the type of shit that Rage was puuting out back when they released their self-titled album. It was a new sound that the grunge/mtv fans weren't used to. Now, music experts around the world all agree that their self titled album is one of the best albums ever. For instance, this is what Ed Rivadavia from All Music Guide says about the first album: "The first album to successfully merge the amazingly disparate sounds of rap and heavy metal , Rage Against the Machine 's self-titled debut was groundbreaking enough when it was released, and many would argue that its importance and influence remains unchallenged and unsurpassed to this day" Thats coming from a music expert right there. I mean, every one of their songs is amazing, except some of the tracks froms their most recent album, which is one of the three reasons they broke up. Zack de la Rocha is the most "valid" (for lack of a better word) person I've ever known. He thought the last CD wasn't good enough to be released, and he wanted to start from scratch on a new album, but the three other members wanted it to be released, and that was pretty much the downfall of the group. Theres also that whole thing with bassist Tim Commerford and the MTV music awards when he went on top of one of the props after Rage lost to Limp Bizkit in one of the awards, and Zack de la Rocha was really disgusted by Commerford's stupidity. Zach de la Rocha also made an album with DJ Shadow, but once again de la Rocha didn't think it up to par with what he expected from himself as a musician, so he told Shadow to discard all their material. Zach de la Rocha started Rage so that he could deliver his political ideology to his audience, and his messages were very strong in the first three albums, but he felt that he wasn't doing his "job" right in trying his best to make this world a better place, and thats the third reason he left Rage. Ever since Rage left the music scene in 99, our society has became much more messed up, and one of the key reasons Rage decided to come back was to try to change our society for the better, as every one of their songs have deep lyrics interlaced into the music.........................Rage against the Machine is the greatest band of all time.

airguitarvet
03-24-2007, 07:19 PM
greatest band ever?

best thread ever.

Somewhat Damaged
03-25-2007, 12:42 AM
Yes, the breakup of Rage Against the Machine was directly responsible for our society becoming much more messed up. And Ed Rivadavia is a music expert because he writes for All Music Guide. How was there any sort of debate in this thread? tklint24 owns all! Rage, quite obviously, IS the greatest band ever, and any of you who attempt to argue otherwise are not only fools of the highest order, but the all-knowing President Bush should also legally stricken you from attending Coachella so that you can learn your lesson on disagreeing with the prospect that Rage Against the Machine is anything less than the musical equivalent of Jesus.

gloanova
03-25-2007, 02:57 AM

THANK YOU.

greatest band of our time.

André
03-25-2007, 09:21 AM
THANK YOU.

greatest band of our time.

you most be stupid

captncrzy
03-25-2007, 09:23 AM
you most be stupid

I love how you're calling someone stupid, yet you can't spell. It's MUST, not MOST.

Mr.Nipples
03-25-2007, 10:35 AM
you most be stupid

LEARN TO SPELL OR GET THE FUCK OUT OF THE COUNTRY

Quentin
03-25-2007, 10:52 AM
I'm 19 and even if a lot of the bands I like aren't in my era, I can still pick out good music when I hear it. I say the Beatles would be one of the most influential and succesful bands...also I'm kinda biased because they're are my favorite band. However, there are diffeinatly bands that were waaaaaay more influential then RATM. The Beatles, Queen, Pink Floyd, Pixies, Led Zeppelin, Allman Brothers Band, Bob Dylan...the list goes on.

Quentin
03-25-2007, 11:00 AM
After thinking about it for a little longer I forgot to write down Jimi Hendrix, Rolling Stones, The Who, Talking Heads, Simon & Garfunkel, The Doors, Bob Marley...

Thickfreakness21
03-25-2007, 12:03 PM
What a funny ass thread..Obviously everyones answers are going to be different as everyone has different tastes in music...Rediculious that there are threats being made over who was the most influential band has been over the years...Though there are some stupid ass comments and answeres being made, in my opinion there arent really going to be any modern day bands that should be considered the most influential...The age of electric music came during the 50's and 60's, which is what music is today, therefore influencing todays music..But different bands have influenced different genres of music...Though I fucking hate Metallica with a passion, I believe that they have influenced metal music since they have been the biggest band in metal since metal...To say though that Rage has been the most influential band though I think might be a little bit far fetched..Controversial might be a better word..I love their music and I agree with most of their views in regards to politics, but it really isn't anything that has influenced anybody to go out and do anything, or write music like theirs..Bob Dylan was one of the originals when it came to sparking controversey and writing music about how fucked the world is, and politics, therefore Bob Dylan would be considered to have influenced Rage in a sense...
When it comes down to it, talking about strictly being an influential artist/band i think Hendrix takes it hands down..Speaking in terms of innovation, soul, passion, and raw fucking talent he takes the cake and there is no denying that...

AllPowerToThePeople
03-25-2007, 01:06 PM
Fixed.

more like the only good rap/rock band...

no ones mentioned jimi yet?!?!?!

captncrzy
03-25-2007, 01:42 PM
After thinking about it for a little longer I forgot to write down Jimi Hendrix, Rolling Stones, The Who, Talking Heads, Simon & Garfunkel, The Doors, Bob Marley...

It sounds like your parents raised you right!

Quentin
03-25-2007, 02:37 PM
It sounds like your parents raised you right!

Haha, no my parents either hate the music I listen to or have never heard of them. My parents actually didn't let me listen to the radio at all. It al pretty much escalated from piano lessons.

I've been playing piano for about 13 years. I started on classical and then got intrested in jazz piano/imrpov. That lead to me picking up guitar and my 7th grade english teacher introduced me to The Beatles and so on. I pretty much either discovered those bands by listening to songs being played in music stores or just hearing them on the radio.

gloanova
03-25-2007, 02:55 PM
you most be stupid

yeah...i most be.