PDA

View Full Version : In Depth Review thread.

ewiggy
03-13-2007, 07:03 PM
I don't think there is one yet, so let's just put them all together. I'll start. Here's some photos of Band of Horses at the Social in Orlando last night:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/161/420652069_29e5c5f309.jpg

"Act Together" is a Ron Wood cover, and where it says "David Allen Coe", they played "You Never Even Call Me By My Name", and it was excellent. Both covers were by far better than the original. The rest of the songs there that aren't on the album are new songs, and they were all good. Probably great after spending more time with them.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/156/420652148_2c1928fa04.jpg

Ben and a lap steel!

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/182/420652187_ce30f1443e.jpg

The bassist here is one of the guys from Archers of Loaf - not sure if he's officially in the band now or what..

I'll finish this and post a couple video clips later.

bballarl
03-13-2007, 08:27 PM
I haven't written an in-depth review in quite some time. I will continue to start new threads for every one I do write, however, in order to piss people off.

kroqken
04-20-2007, 09:12 AM
Let us start reviewing some recent shows on here. Then we can start some debates and piss off certain people.

vinylmartyr
04-20-2007, 09:16 AM
We are gonna be up to our eyeballs in Coachella reviews in 10 days.

bug on your lip
04-20-2007, 10:59 AM
did they not play "First Song "

that show looks ballsed-up

sonofhal
04-20-2007, 11:06 AM
Glad to hear they were good, as i'm seeing them twice in May (London and Barcelona)

TomAz
04-20-2007, 11:19 AM
IN DEPTH REVIEW OF THIS THREAD

1. wig's in depth review is informative but more of a summary; not what I would call "in depth"
2. andrew and jeff add lucid points
3. ken, as usual, makes no sense at all
4. bug, as usual, makes some sense but not 100%
5. The David Allen Coe song was actually written by Steve Goodman and is actually called "You Never Even Called Me By My Name"
6. David Allen Coe is a country singer-songwriter who is even freakier than Willie and once wrote a song called "Fuck Anita Bryant".

bballarl
04-20-2007, 11:20 AM
I'm starting my own thread for my in-depth Coachella review. Dig it.

kreutz2112
04-20-2007, 11:28 AM
I dont have the patience to write reviews, and I'm not a very good writer

ewiggy
04-20-2007, 11:47 AM
1. wig's in depth review is informative but more of a summary; not what I would call "in depth"

:(

5. The David Allen Coe song was actually written by Steve Goodman and is actually called "You Never Even Called Me By My Name"

yes, sorry for the typo. they introduced (and wrote the song down as) a David Allen Coe song. they left out the talking bit in the middle of some versions where DAC says "A friend of mine named Steve Goodman wrote that song.."

edit: also, this was like a month ago.

kroqken
04-22-2007, 05:56 PM
Well, writing about music can be tough, but a good writer can make the music come alive right off the page.

TomAz
04-22-2007, 06:02 PM
:(

it wasn't meant as a slam or a dig.

bballarl
04-22-2007, 06:05 PM
Hey Tom.

TomAz
04-22-2007, 06:12 PM
hola andrew.

bballarl
04-22-2007, 06:22 PM
Have you heard The Avengers?

CuervoPH
04-22-2007, 09:10 PM
I should have an in-depth review (aka brief summary) of the Howling Bells show in Baltimore on Thursday night. This show comes at a good time because before my plans unfortunately changed, Thursday would have been the day I flew out for Coachella.

CuervoPH
04-26-2007, 08:17 PM
In-depth review of Howling Bells at the Sonar in Baltimore on 4/26/07. Pictures will follow later. When I got to the show, I discovered the battery in my camera was dead, so a guy I met at the show who had a camera has kindly agreed to let me link to his photobucket page when he has his pics posted.

The club itself, Sonar, is in a converted warehouse. It has a main stage area (that holds 1,000 people), a club stage area (that Sonar says holds 300 people) and a lounge inbetween the two. Howling Bells and the opening act played in the club stage area. Sonar claims it holds 300 people. I think you'd need a lot of baby oil and some shoe horns to get 300 people in that area.

The opening act was a local band called Velociraptor. The band is a male/female duo who share vocal duties. Instruments consist of two keyboards, a guitar, and a drum machine. On their myspace page, they cite influences such as Bright Eyes and Postal Service, but I really couldn't compare their sound to either of those acts. This was only the third live show they played (as they just formed this year), and their set, though energetic, did seem to have a rookie feel to it. I'd have to see them again to form a decent opinion of them.

Howling Bells, on the other hand, just killed it live. They have a heavier sound live than they do on their album. I don't think it's so much that they tone things down for the album; it's more that they bring so much more to the table live. The band is very tight and play off each other well, and the lead singer, Juanita Stein, is mesmerizing. The only minor complaint I had was that the instruments seemed to be mic'ed for a bigger area and sometimes would drown out the vocals.

I actually got to talk to Juanita after their set. This was funny because I had gone over to ask the bass player the name of the first song they played (not on the album) and didn't see her standing there. When she spoke to me, I didn't recognize her at first. She was very nice and friendly but probably thought "Who the hell is this idiot???" at that point. I told her I hoped to see them at a future Coachella, so make it happen GV.

Setlist is as follows:

This Cities Burning (non-album track; b-side to 'Wishing Stone' single)
The Bell Hit
Wishing Stone
Setting Sun
Velvet Girl
Across The Avenue
The Night Is Young
In The Woods
Blessed Night
Broken Bones
Low Happening

(The only two songs from their album they didn't play were "A Ballad For The Bleeding Hearts" and "I'm Not Afraid". If you've heard their music and like them, they are well worth seeing live.)

Hope everyone is enjoying Coachella and I'll see you back there in '08.

ewiggy
05-03-2007, 05:16 PM
the National - Arcade Fire - Atlanta Civic Center, 5/02/07
disclaimer: none of the below photos are mine. i took some and they all turned out horrible, so these are all from various people's flickr sets.

After Coachella I flew back on Monday to Tampa - getting stuck in Denver for 4 hours in the process.. Did some quick laundry and got loaded up in a friend's car for the 7 hour drive up for the show. Tried to sleep in the car, but I was pretty excited so that didn't really happen.

We arrived pretty early and spent the day around ATL. My friend kept going "OMG, there they are!", and I foolishly kept looking because I'd have been pretty pissed if one time he wasn't joking and I hadn't looked.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/189/481363946_04d9128c1a.jpg

Our tickets said doors open at 8pm, so we arrived around 8:15 or so.. To our dismay, the National had already begun. Doors must have actually been at 7pm. Kinda irritated about that, because while I had only heard a couple of their songs before, I loved the last half of their set that I did get to see. They ended with "About Today" which gave me goosebumps and had I been more familiar with the band, I probably would've gotten teary-eyed. Stellar.

The National Setlist:

Start a War
Mistaken for Strangers
Secret Meeting
Slow Show
Abel
Squalor Victoria
Apartment Story
Fake Empire
Mr. November
About Today

They opened up with the video of the crazy preacher woman and Black Mirror playing in reverse, similar to how it was played on the 866-NEON BIBLE number's voicemail months ago. This faded into the regular version of Black Mirror. I believe this was the same intro as at Coachella.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/199/481761789_977281590a.jpg

My seats were pretty crappy. Row KK Right. My friend and I were sandwiched between Talking Couple and Motionless Irritated Couple. During MBiaC my level of annoyedness grew with Talking Couple, so I leaned over and politely-but-firmly said "excuse me, could you please stop talking? I've come all the way from Florida to hear this band." To my surprise, they responded with "Oh, sorry! No problem.", and not another peep from them. Motionless Irritated Couple was to the left of my friend, who was getting her dance on. Everytime she as much as brushed into them, she was met with stank eye. When Win said to the crowd "I don't like these seats - You guys can come forward if you want", we ran down and got to stand right in front of the soundboard. The people there were totally awesome and we were all losing our shit.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/206/481374583_e29c8ab207.jpg

A couple of the guys from the National were standing behind the soundboard, and they were totally rocking out. I love it when I see the opening bands digging the headliner or vice versa.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/198/480872284_5c89f80ffb.jpg

At one point (I think during Power Out) Will decided to jump off the stage and climb up the railing of the boxes that lined the side of the theater, all the while banging on his drum. He got pretty high, and then jumped down into the boxes and continued playing from there.

After they played Intervention I made a point to go back up to where the doors to the lobby were, because if the band tried any funny lobby business, I wanted to be the first to know about it. Lately they've been leaving the stage and playing Wake Up in the middle of the crowd at the end of the show. That didn't happen. Oh well. I also asked the guy at the soundboard for the setlist, but he informed me "there are notes on it, I can't give it to you", which made me really sad. Argh. Next time I'll try for an onstage setlist.

I didn't see anyone else rocking a Us Kids Know (Arcade Fire fan forum) shirt, but I rocked mine and was hoping I'd meet some forumfolk, but it didn't happen.

While we were pulling out of the parking lot to leave, my friend from earlier says to me "look! there they are!", to which I responded "ok, sure, you can stop that now". Except this time they really were there, and I totally fucking missed it. Apparently they were all walking around outside and I probably missed a chance to shake hands and express my thanks.. But I'm trying to not obsess over it. I don't need to idolize, but it's difficult to avoid that sometimes when you like something someone has done so much.

Overall it was a fantastic show. Win's stage banter was charming and pretty amusing:

"A dollar from your ticket sales goes to charity... Some of you probably want your dollar back. What can you get for a dollar, anyway? A Dr. Pepper? Someone told me that Dr. Pepper and oatmeal cookie dough ice cream are really good together. Sounds pretty gross to me."

I wish the crowd would have gotten a bit more into it early on, and I wish it hadn't ended quite so early. It all seemed to start and finish quite early - Shows I go to usually START at 10:30 and this one was over by then! Can't wait to see them again.

Arcade Fire Setlist:

Black Mirror
No Cars Go
Laika
Haiti
Black Wave/Bad Vibration
Tunnels
The Well and the Lighthouse
My Body is A Cage
Ocean of Noise
Windowsill
Power Out ----> Rebellion
Keep the Car Running

encore 1
Intervention

encore 2
Wake Up (on stage)

CuervoPH
05-03-2007, 06:37 PM
Sweet setlists from both. Glad you got to see The National do "Mr. November". That is one of my favorite songs of theirs (along with "Karen" and "Sons And Daughter Of The Soho Riots).

As promised in the post above that one, here are a few pics from the Howling Bells show at the Sonar in Baltimore on 4/26/07. These pics are courtesy of a guy named Alan that I met at the show. We spent much of the opening act and break discussing various music festivals.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y274/mypix12345mypix/April%2007/IMG_1270.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y274/mypix12345mypix/April%2007/IMG_1280.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y274/mypix12345mypix/April%2007/IMG_1273.jpg