PDA

View Full Version : Lollapalooza '11 or Bonnaroo '11

foaminjectedaxlrose
04-27-2011, 01:16 PM
Trying to decide which to go to this year, and wanted to see if anyone has been to both and could give some advice. The headliners at lolla excite me more than the roo this year, mostly because I'm not huge into jam bands, but I'm not sure how I'll like the atmosphere at lolla. I've been camping at coachella 3 years running and I love how much of an immersive experience it becomes. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

suprefan
04-27-2011, 01:25 PM
Neither.

ShyGuy75
04-27-2011, 01:31 PM
both

Boourns
04-27-2011, 01:32 PM
european festival

foaminjectedaxlrose
04-27-2011, 01:51 PM
i probably should have expected this...

xxxxxxxxxx
04-27-2011, 02:03 PM
Bonnaroo because of the camping and all the late night shows.

Thisismyname
04-27-2011, 02:03 PM
If you're looking for an "immersive experience", Bonnaroo, easily.

Chicago and Lolla can be a lot of fun, but it's a city festival. Bonnaroo on the other hand is just about as "immersive" as you can get.

paulb
04-27-2011, 02:27 PM
Bonnaroo. goes till 4am+....Lolla, 10pm.

Bumblebee
04-27-2011, 02:51 PM
Bonnaroo. goes till 4am+....Lolla, 10pm.

Did lolla get a sllightly later curfew for 2011. Aftershows also go late.

rage patton
04-27-2011, 03:06 PM
Never been to Lolla... and I don't have a strong desire to. Bonnaroo is most definately an experience. I had a blast when I went in 2009.

braundiggity
04-27-2011, 03:59 PM
Lolla usually has the better lineup, but Bonnaroo strikes me as being more about the experience itself than the actual music (disclaimer: never been to lolla, first time at roo this summer). I'm choosing Roo first, and while I'd obviously love to try Lolla, it's not a priority.

I'd fly to Europe to go to fests before I'd fly to Chicago to go to Lolla.

Thisismyname
04-27-2011, 04:13 PM
Did lolla get a sllightly later curfew for 2011. Aftershows also go late.

Roo late night > Lolla aftershows.

And that's not even taking into account the fact that you have to pay extra for aftershows.

apostle2
04-27-2011, 06:42 PM
Trying to decide which to go to this year, and wanted to see if anyone has been to both and could give some advice. The headliners at lolla excite me more than the roo this year, mostly because I'm not huge into jam bands, but I'm not sure how I'll like the atmosphere at lolla. I've been camping at coachella 3 years running and I love how much of an immersive experience it becomes. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Been to both multiple times. From your quick description, it sounds like you should check out Bonnaroo this year. For me, the festival itself is better, the line up is better (although that is obviously subjective), and most importantly, unless you have someplace to stay for free in Chicago, Bonnaroo is much cheaper. But the crowd, atmosphere, and late night action at bonnaroo certainly make it more of an "experience".

juloxx
04-27-2011, 07:04 PM
EDC

concertgoer
04-27-2011, 07:54 PM
Personally I would pick Lolla because I like the lineup better, but you mentioned how enjoyed having an immersive experience so Roo would for sure have the edge in that department.
Lolla is a blast but it can be expensive with hotels and what not. I guess in your case you have to decide if the lineup is more important to you or the overall festival- camping experience.

agenthal
04-27-2011, 08:04 PM
I'm doing both, but I have to say, the Lolla lineup excites me more... and at least I won't boil in the heat there as much.

TomServo
04-27-2011, 09:22 PM
Lolla has a stronger lineup and the city of Chicago is awesome.

Grant Park is beautiful and the food is fantastic. Plus, the tickets are fairly priced.

I've never been to Roo, but I love Lolla. I wish it were on the West Coast so I could go every year. Granted, I'm less indie/electronic hipster than a rock fan, so the lineups usually favor me.

LyricsForTheMind
04-27-2011, 09:57 PM
I think the lineup for Lolla is much better....i don't know if it overcomes how awesome I imagine the atmosphere at Roo to be....I have not been to either so I am actually not really any help at all haha

wstsidela
04-27-2011, 10:02 PM
Lollapalooza. They have a Four Seasons Hotel in Chicago.

Thisismyname
04-28-2011, 12:25 AM
I'm doing both, but I have to say, the Lolla lineup HAS MUSE....

nathanfairchild
04-28-2011, 01:14 AM
can't speak for roo, but i'm going for the first time this year. lineups seem kinda like opposites of each other so i'd attend the one best suited to your tastes. lolla is always fun, but i'm probably the only one who doesn't like the fact that it's in chicago, mainly due to the fact that it ends really early each night and, at least for me, it's the most expensive festival to attend, due mainly to the lack of camping.

fnmore
04-28-2011, 04:46 PM
Bonnaroo for sure. At least once. I did not sleep much, inhaled a lot of dust and other substances but had a blast. Met all kinds of people there too. Lollapalooza just seems gay, esp. with Coldplay and Muse.

Neighborhood Creep
04-28-2011, 06:06 PM
Bonnaroo. It's a no brainer for me

Tupper
04-28-2011, 06:36 PM
Been to both several times. Go to Bonaroo unless your able to do lolla right (nearby hotel, aftershows, and days to eat and explore). Disclaimer: I live 4 blocks from Grant Park. Being home turf may make lolla less special to me.
Actually fuck-it just go to Bonnaroo.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
04-28-2011, 06:38 PM
ATP

foaminjectedaxlrose
04-28-2011, 09:05 PM
Thanks for the input everyone. Definitely thinking Bonnaroo makes more sense. Also, when did everyone start hating Muse? I mean the resistance wasn't their best, but come on... It's fucking Muse

Bumblebee
04-28-2011, 09:19 PM
Thanks for the input everyone. Definitely thinking Bonnaroo makes more sense. Also, when did everyone start hating Muse? I mean the resistance wasn't their best, but come on... It's fucking Muse

We each had 3-4 chances to see them in 2009/2010 and there's little chance this will have notable setlist variation or staging variation seen in Europe.