PDA

View Full Version : What does an afternoon tent artist haul in for appearing?

grichsgang
04-20-2011, 10:08 PM
I really have no idea. Do they pay travel or is it just a flat fee? 10K? 15K? Just wondering.

nathanfairchild
04-20-2011, 10:12 PM
they get paid with good vibes

rage patton
04-20-2011, 10:17 PM
Some bands only play for $100 or $200 bucks.

gkrablin
04-21-2011, 07:19 AM
I'm curious to this as well. How much did Kanye cost? The Strokes? Two Door Cinema Club? Sleigh Bells?

I'd like each end of the spectrum. Always been curious if anyone knows a ballpark range.

wompwomp
04-21-2011, 07:38 AM
I remember reading an article about the economics of Bonnaroo (I know its a different fest, but I feel it would be pretty close), and they said the majority of the daytime acts barely get paid anything at all. Enough to cover expenses and thats about it. For all those bands its more about exposure.

The headliners usually take in around $1 - $2 mil per, but that fee is also used to cover expenses. If I were to guess, I would say Kanye himself probably banked around 250k - 500k after expenses.

PlayaDelWes
04-21-2011, 08:30 AM
For some artists, after they pay their travel costs, it's a loss.

socalguy100
04-21-2011, 10:20 AM
I'm curious to this as well. How much did Kanye cost? The Strokes? Two Door Cinema Club? Sleigh Bells?

I'd like each end of the spectrum. Always been curious if anyone knows a ballpark range.

This site has some dollar figures on what it costs to book bands at colleges:

http://www.concertideas.com/#/home

They don't have specific info on the bands you were curious about but Crystal Castles is listed at $20,000+. For an idea of what a popular hip hop artist gets, Drake is listed at $125,000+.

PlayaDelWes
04-21-2011, 11:12 AM
Pretty good article from last year:

Coachella and destination festivals: the hidden costs (http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/music_blog/2010/04/coachella-and-destination-festivals-the-hidden-costs.html)

Pros:
- converting fans there not just to see you
- cash

Cons:
- radius clauses
- travel costs

Also, I wonder how much the smaller acts make off of itunes and record sales prior to and after an event like Coachella.

Another good discussion on the matter:
http://ask.metafilter.com/102484/The-economics-of-travelling-bands

guedita
04-21-2011, 11:14 AM
Fat Freddy's Drop canceled because they couldn't afford to play.

Band members don't have to buy a ticket to the festival though, right? Like they at least get to hang out and watch other shows...

electrocute
04-21-2011, 11:21 AM
As others have said, I think for almost all the smaller bands it's about getting exposure/new fans. A kind of investment in their future rather than a gig where they actually profit. This also explains why quite a few bands couldn't afford to come this year!

rasooli
04-21-2011, 02:03 PM
Didnt the Rolling Stones want 5 million to play this year at Coachella.

thombjork
04-21-2011, 02:11 PM
the correct answer is it depends on lots of things

but you can be almost certain that an afternoon band isn't making any money.

i would imagine that AEG reimburses a band up to a certain amount for getting there, past that its out of pocket.

fuck i'd pay 10,000 grand to play coachella for the exposure alone it would be a bargain

socalguy100
04-21-2011, 02:29 PM
the correct answer is it depends on lots of things

but you can be almost certain that an afternoon band isn't making any money.

i would imagine that AEG reimburses a band up to a certain amount for getting there, past that its out of pocket.

fuck i'd pay 10,000 grand to play coachella for the exposure alone it would be a bargain

According to the article cited above:

Coachella fees for most acts are said to start around $15,000, and extend into the "high six figures," with top-billed artists expected to break the seven-figure barrier in 2010.

15K is probably more than a lot of those afternoon bands get for playing clubs.