PDA

View Full Version : More Annoying - Hippys or Hipsters

shotglass75
03-13-2007, 01:22 PM
Both can be equally annoying and get on your nerves. Who do you dispise more?

kimery08
03-13-2007, 01:23 PM
can you be a hippy on the inside and a hipster on the outside?

shotglass75
03-13-2007, 01:24 PM
Not in the rule book

SojuGorae
03-13-2007, 01:25 PM
Be more specific. How do hippies and hipsters annoy you? Is it their existence or have they done annoying things to you

kimery08
03-13-2007, 01:25 PM
please forward me this rule book you speak of.

fober
03-13-2007, 01:26 PM
What's the difference between hippies and hipsters nowadays?

kimery08
03-13-2007, 01:28 PM
i kinda see hippies as being chill ass people who are content with who they are. and hipsters as living for other people. caring too much about what others think - hence the flatirons, eyeliner...

Hannahrain
03-13-2007, 01:31 PM
chill ass people

Here lies the relationship of hannah and kimery.

We had a good run.

RIP.

shotglass75
03-13-2007, 01:35 PM
Be more specific. How do hippies and hipsters annoy you? Is it their existence or have they done annoying things to you

Hipsters think they are better than everyone and Hippys think everyone is beautiful.
Hipsters are too cool to dance and Hippys are annoying when they do.
Hipsters have coffee breath and Hippys hair stinks
Hipsters wear winter hats in the summer and Hippys wear sandles in the winter

That's all I can think of for now. feel free to add

msklvr
03-13-2007, 01:37 PM
Hipsters buy soap with money while hippies hide money under the soap.

dalethethug
03-13-2007, 01:38 PM
who cares?
relax... man

shotglass75
03-13-2007, 01:40 PM
who cares?
relax... man

all in good fun. Not to be taken seriously.

TomAz
03-13-2007, 01:42 PM
Hipsters are pretentious and hippies are idiots. Pretentious is more annoying. Hipsters win.

dalethethug
03-13-2007, 01:45 PM
Hipsters are pretentious and hippies are idiots. Pretentious is more annoying. Hipsters win.

how do hipsters win if they are annoying?

shotglass75
03-13-2007, 01:47 PM

I think this is where the earth swallows itself and life as we know it ceases to exist.

chunk
03-13-2007, 01:52 PM
hippy? doesnt hippy mean having large hips? what do you have against that? babys got back.

TomAz
03-13-2007, 01:56 PM

They won my vote. In the poll. Up at the top of the thread.

Hippie.

shotglass75
03-13-2007, 01:58 PM
hippy? doesnt hippy mean having large hips? what do you have against that? babys got back.

I like junk in the trunk. Not too much, enough to spank and have it wiggle like jello

kimery08
03-13-2007, 02:11 PM
Here lies the relationship of hannah and kimery.

We had a good run.

RIP.

rip

psychic friend
03-13-2007, 02:57 PM
Hipsters buy soap with money while hippies hide money under the soap.

totally lol'd

idrive1life
03-13-2007, 05:20 PM
hippy hipsters

Sexecutioner
03-13-2007, 05:32 PM
they both annoy the crap out of me. but hippys have asked me for money on the sidewalk many times, and hipsters have never done that. so hippys got my vote by a dread.

Popcynical
03-13-2007, 05:49 PM
they both annoy the crap out of me. but hippys have asked me for money on the sidewalk many times, and hipsters have never done that. so hippys got my vote by a dread.

By a dread. Clever.

I voted hipsters.. mainly because I can stand hippies, and can relate musically, most of the time (my first concert was a Phish concert).

I blame the whole hipster trend on girls, anyways. Typically, a guy wont care what a girl dresses like as long as she's fairly attractive. But most girls want guys to dress a certain way. So guys dress a certain way in an effort to get some panochita.

full on idle
03-13-2007, 06:08 PM
The dudes at shows around here are 10x more gelled, groomed, and zipped into their tight jeans than the ladies. I'm just being honest.

most annoying = spelling hippies, "hippys."

Yablonowitz
03-13-2007, 06:16 PM
Typically, a guy wont care what a girl dresses like as long as she's fairly attractive. But most girls want guys to dress a certain way. So guys dress a certain way in an effort to get some panochita.

That's one shrewd motherfucking observation there. You got a handle on life.

lindseyb
03-13-2007, 06:19 PM
i like hippies and i don't think i've ever met any hipsters, so i can't say they bug me. i'd never even heard the term until these hipster threads started popping up.

full on idle
03-13-2007, 06:24 PM
you might be a hipster if you've never met a hipster

lindseyb
03-13-2007, 06:26 PM
:eek:

Popcynical
03-13-2007, 06:29 PM
:eek:

He makes a point.

La Ferrassie
03-13-2007, 06:32 PM
Are you a hippster if you wear band t-shirts, jeans, converse or checkerd vans.

dalethethug
03-13-2007, 06:41 PM
They won my vote. In the poll. Up at the top of the thread.

Hippie.

........................touché

even though i wouldn't say they won

asshole.

dalethethug
03-13-2007, 06:44 PM
all in good fun. Not to be taken seriously.
fine then
hipsters are stuck up hippies that think they are smarter than you. they must die.

All That I Am
03-13-2007, 06:51 PM
There's just something I find annoying about hipsters, of course hippies can get on your nerves when they talk about how they only eat organic tofu because its healthy for your body while they are smoking mexican dope that they probably used d.d.t. on as pesticide.

However hipsters tend to be even more annoying with their two hundred dollar glasses and fifty cent salvation army pants. I don't have a problem with either item, but you gotta choose one look or the other. Plus, hipsters don't like a band anymore if you know who they are.

vinylmartyr
03-13-2007, 06:52 PM
Are there any real hippies under 50? All the people that claim to be hippies are basically hipsters. They seem the same to me.

jackstraw94086
03-13-2007, 07:25 PM
Are there any real hippies under 50? All the people that claim to be hippies are basically hipsters. They seem the same to me.

the line is subtle, many people are often a mixture, but hipster trumps hippie.

And there most certainly are hippies under 50. There's lots. Go someplace like High Sierra sometime and check em out. Some of them are as hippie as you can get. Feral hippies, as if they sprung straight from the soil. But they're honest about it, no pretense. That's why I wouldn't call them hipsters.

atom heart
03-13-2007, 07:31 PM
Hipsters are all pretense, and as annoying as hipsters can be I still think of those hairy female legs I was staring at during Animal Collective...

samiksha
03-13-2007, 07:35 PM
where i come from, hipsters and hippies intermingle and there is a fine line between the two.

rage patton
03-13-2007, 08:35 PM
Are you a hippster if you wear band t-shirts, jeans, converse or checkerd vans.

Woh woh woh. That is NOT true.
So the guy I saw on the bus the other day wearing a slayer shirt, jeans and black converse is a hipster?
Or the guy I saw wearing a Public Enemy shirt, jeans and classic converse?
Am I a hipster because today I wore a Tool shirt, jeans and converse?
I really dont think so in any of these cases.

I would agree with you to a certain extent though, but you have to be more descriptive.
For Guys: Must have completely skin tight clothes. Be wearing a band shirt of some modern hardcore/emo band like... Senses Fail or some shit like that. It also must be girls jeans that are much to small. Then to top it off converse or vans. Just cuz you wear converse doesnt make you a hipster though. Also, Hipsters must have some stupid looking haircut, like half blonde half black and 10+ bonus points if your hair sweeps over one eye.
For Girls: Basically all new and very stylish clothes that are made to look like they are old or vintage. But they wouldnt be caught DEAD wearing actual vintage clothes. Shoes, same story as for guys.As for hair, pretty much anything will do, as long as its impractical.
Any I missing anything?
So your description leaves to many options open. But take it a step further, and your right.

woogie846
03-13-2007, 08:45 PM
I usually identify hipsters by their haircuts.

bballarl
03-13-2007, 08:48 PM
I identify them by their perfectly put-together un-put-together looks.

full on idle
03-13-2007, 08:51 PM
that "I'm an artist, I'm doing a lot of things" line was running through my head today and making me laugh.

*apologies to the coachella board for total lack of substance to anything I post today, i.e., I'm ruining the board with one-liners. Not up to par.

fatbastard
03-13-2007, 09:16 PM
Hipsters talk about themselves during music sets. Hippies rock out by themselves during music sets.

Hipsters seek attention as if they were a member of the band. Hippies dance in a trippy manner like they are band groupies.

It's all about "me" with hipsters, it's all about the "music" with the hippies.

wisconsinboozer
03-13-2007, 09:26 PM
you might be a hippy if...

...You have long nappy unwashed hair
...You think female body hair is the norm
...You warship Greatful Dead

fire_in_cairo
03-13-2007, 09:30 PM
golf clap

blastyourears
03-14-2007, 09:10 AM
i like hippys

TomAz
03-14-2007, 09:10 AM
this thread is turning my brain to jelly.

jackstraw94086
03-14-2007, 09:12 AM
i was talking about hipsters vs hippies 4 years ago.

full on idle
03-14-2007, 09:16 AM
I saw Devendra Banhart give a speech about hipsters vs hippies in a dumpster.

jackstraw94086
03-14-2007, 09:16 AM
I was backstage for that.

full on idle
03-14-2007, 09:19 AM
I was onstage behind his dj.

jackstraw94086
03-14-2007, 09:27 AM
keep back next time. you were crowding me.

Alchemy
03-14-2007, 02:04 PM
According to Google Image and Wikipedia, a hipster is:

http://katyoliver.com/hipster%20manorexic%20sunjnx.jpghttp://media.urbandictionary.com/image/large/hipster-5366.jpg
http://chiwowwow.biz/blog/images/Han%20Solo-1.jpg

Hipsters is a term used to describe those individuals devoted to retro fashions, independent music and film, "alternative comics", and other forms of expression that are popular in hipster subculture. The term is sometimes used as a blanket descriptor for fans of indie rock music. More generally, trendsetters in fashion are sometimes called hipsters.

According to Google Image and Wikipedia, a hippy is:

http://www.bikerbar.com/biker/images/biker-RL/tara-hippy.JPGhttp://www.selectadisc.co.uk/%5Cwrite%5CImage%5Chippy.jpg
http://www.utilitarianism.com/jesus-christ.jpg

Hippies were originally part of a youth movement composed mostly (but not necessarily) of white teenagers and young adults between the ages of 15 and 25 years-old. Inheriting a tradition of cultural dissent from the bohemians and the beatniks, hippies rebelled against established institutions, criticized middle class values, opposed the Vietnam War, embraced aspects of non-Judeo-Christian religions, promoted sexual liberation, and created intentional communities, leading some to describe hippies as a new religious movement.

xbnmx
03-14-2007, 04:52 PM
And there most certainly are hippies under 50. There's lots. Go someplace like High Sierra sometime and check em out. Some of them are as hippie as you can get. Feral hippies, as if they sprung straight from the soil. But they're honest about it, no pretense. That's why I wouldn't call them hipsters.

Ive been going to High Sierra annually since I was 13.

SojuGorae
03-15-2007, 12:32 AM
Since we're on the subject of hipsters...

Let's hear some of the kinds of clothes/footwear people wear here.

Clothes:

Diesel
Lacoste
Vitamins & Minerals
Christian Lacroix
Burberry
Prps
Evisu
Theory
Onitsuka Tiger
RVCA
Paul Smith
Paul Frank
Yohji Yamamoto
Ralph Lauren
Nike
Adidas
Stussy
Fairtex
Koral
Tapout
Dickies
...and swap meet clothes

Footwear:

Clarks
Y3
Adidas
New Balance
Nike
Asics

And I don't consider myself a hipster. I eat fast food, shop at Costco, I watch Prison Break, use coupons when shopping for groceries, enjoy listening to all types of music, think the majority of all Criterion DVD releases are pretty fucking terrible, enjoy Michael Bay movies, and love tacky reality shows. I'm so not a hipster.

CherokeeMel
03-15-2007, 04:33 AM
The dudes at shows around here are 10x more gelled, groomed, and zipped into their tight jeans than the ladies. I'm just being honest.

most annoying = spelling hippies, "hippys."

This has been going on since the feminist movement and is having a resurgence in the emo and hipster community. I think people are just becoming what theyre attracted to. Girls are dressing like gay guys and guys are dressing like slightly whory girls. I think i actually support this.. hmm it could have some correspondence with the ever growing gay population. Its a hard thing not to fall into.
ex. Kings of Leon ( horrible example but this picture cracks me up)
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p227/melhefner/l_e1c2d7b8564179b04b6a1495d2e7be62.jpg
ex. Yeah Yeah Yeah's
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p227/melhefner/16664806_l.jpg
In the end everyone just looks the same.

SubBass49
03-15-2007, 05:00 AM
Hipsters....much more annoying than hippies. At least hippies stood for an idealistic world view and everyone getting along. Hipsters just stand in their practiced poses with recycled 70s & 80s fashions...judging EVERYONE as not being cool like them.

J~$$$
03-15-2007, 07:46 AM
The coolest hippie ever award goes to my man cr****.

SFChrissy
03-15-2007, 08:54 AM
Hipsters are label whores that bug the shit outa me

At least hippies are friendly non pretentious smoke great weed and know how to get down in the kitchen when it comes to preparing edibles!!!

SojuGorae
03-15-2007, 08:56 AM

At least hippies are friendly non pretentious smoke great weed and know how to get down in the kitchen when it comes to preparing edibles!!!

Like vegan meals?

J~$$$
03-15-2007, 08:58 AM
Why the fuck is there even an argument on the subject. The are annoying people in every sub-culture and classification. Shit I even know handicap people that are fucking annoying douche bags.

jackstraw94086
03-15-2007, 09:04 AM

The label whores are up in the marina. There's a difference between fashionista and hipster.

hipsters are not label whores. Not generally anyway. When was the last time you saw one? what hipsters wear notable designer fashions? they usually go out of their way to seem like they DON"T wear chic clothing. Even the rich ones will buy the old madras blazer from a thrift shop before buying one from armani or D&C.

TomAz
03-15-2007, 09:07 AM
Why the fuck is there even an argument on the subject. The are annoying people in every sub-culture and classification. Shit I even know handicap people that are fucking annoying douche bags.

hipster.

Kiefer
03-15-2007, 09:12 AM
hipsters win by a landslide. i hadnt even heard the term until maybe 4 years ago, but then when i was told about what they were, i was all 'oh, you mean those people at half the shows i go to, who go to every show at this or that venue, just cuz its the 'cool' place to see shows, even if it got disney on ice somehow.' p.s. if you dont know what hipsters are, go to the pitchfork festival. its really at least a 90% hipster population at that thing.

J~$$$
03-15-2007, 09:19 AM
hipster.

Hippie.

SojuGorae
03-15-2007, 09:20 AM
hipsters win by a landslide. i hadnt even heard the term until maybe 4 years ago, but then when i was told about what they were, i was all 'oh, you mean those people at half the shows i go to, who go to every show at this or that venue, just cuz its the 'cool' place to see shows, even if it got disney on ice somehow.' p.s. if you dont know what hipsters are, go to the pitchfork festival. its really at least a 90% hipster population at that thing.

Seems like you were more focused on the people around than the music being played.

kroqken
11-23-2008, 06:16 AM
With all of the talk about Bonaroo, with its share of hippies and hipsters, this poll should be revived. I have alwas had a thing for hipsters, even thouhg I am not one myself. I still like the clothes at American Apparel and love the events talked about in Metromix Magazine in Los Angeles, which seems to cater to hipsters. As for hippies, they will come out of the woodward now that Phish is getting back together.

roberto73
11-23-2008, 07:03 AM
http://i421.photobucket.com/albums/pp292/rmonty73/0_61_woodward_bob_journalist.jpg

Robototron
11-23-2008, 08:49 AM
With all of the talk about Bonaroo, with its share of hippies and hipsters, this poll should be revived. I have alwas had a thing for hipsters, even thouhg I am not one myself. I still like the clothes at American Apparel and love the events talked about in Metromix Magazine in Los Angeles, which seems to cater to hipsters. As for hippies, they will come out of the woodward now that Phish is getting back together.

Anybody who says something about hipsters and includes the words "even though I am not one myself" is clearly just a hipster in denial.

sbessiso
11-23-2008, 08:52 AM
Pretentious snobs with their noses turned up that worry too much about being "cool" and "hip" and making sure that they listen to the most obscure indie band around

or

fun loving free spirits with an appetite for all music who wouldnt think twice about sharing anything they had with you even if you've just met and couldnt care less about how "cool" theyre perceived to be

Robototron
11-23-2008, 11:45 AM
fun loving free spirits with an appetite for all music who wouldnt think twice about sharing anything they had with you even if you've just met and couldnt care less about how "cool" theyre perceived to be

In theory. How many hippies like that has anyone actually met, though?

rage patton
11-23-2008, 11:55 AM
I dont think I have ever met a snoby hippie.

canexplain
11-23-2008, 12:12 PM
I dont think I have ever met a snoby hippie.

well i verge on being a hippie, and i think a lot of people i know who do fests are hipsters and its all good ... i do think hipsters want to fucking yack at concerts and that really bugs me .... cr****

bmack86
11-23-2008, 01:28 PM
Pretentious snobs with their noses turned up that worry too much about being "cool" and "hip" and making sure that they listen to the most obscure indie band around

or

So on one side we have the most derogatory image of a group and the other we have the most idyllic. I scream bullshit.

TheWatcher
11-23-2008, 01:44 PM
well i verge on being a hippie, and i think a lot of people i know who do fests are hipsters and its all good ... i do think hipsters want to fucking yack at concerts and that really bugs me .... cr****

That bugs me too.

boarderwoozel3
11-23-2008, 01:44 PM
Sbessiso isn't too far off on the hipsters. I live in the hipster area of Seattle and let me tell you, the scene is rot with douchebaggery. Sure there are some cool and nice ones but for every one of those it seems there are ten who think their shit doesn't stink because they listen to bands supposedly no one has heard of, don't own anything made in the current century and ride one of those single gear modified messenger bikes even though they're living in Seattle, a city that's a series of large hills. Too many of these kids are pretentious because it's cool to be, thats weak.

bmack86
11-23-2008, 01:51 PM
Just like there are some awesome hiippies like he describes, but most of them are just lazy, senseless drug burnouts who smell funny and mumble ineptly about peace and love and the environment while they drive their gas burning buses. Either that or they became yuppies.

pancakespancakes
11-23-2008, 02:00 PM
"Hipster" is too much an automatic negative conotation. From everyone. No one calls themselves a hipster and is proud of it. While "hippie" may be negative coming from many, it is also seen as neutral or even a positive description to a small group of people. Most hippies don't refer to themselves as hippies, but occasionally some might, and either way, very few hippies are offended when others (either outsiders or fellow hippies) call them hippies.

Therefore,
this poll and accompanying thread is really quite flawed. And lame.

Of course "hipster" will get more votes. Its practically calling someone a Nazi.

pancakespancakes
11-23-2008, 02:01 PM
Seriousness aside, we should start a new poll.....

Where does Devendra Banhart & all of his partners in crime fall on this scale??

I'd think he could go either way. I guess that means he's both at once.

boarderwoozel3
11-23-2008, 02:03 PM
The drug burnout thing is really true. I've seen that first hand on a number of occasions.

boarderwoozel3
11-23-2008, 02:05 PM
Seriousness aside, we should start a new poll.....

Where does Devendra Banhart & all of his partners in crime fall on this scale??

I'd say he was a particularly free spirited hipster.

Robototron
11-23-2008, 02:35 PM
"Hipster" is too much an automatic negative conotation. From everyone. No one calls themselves a hipster and is proud of it.

Wrong, actually. I know plenty of people who would KILL to have people think that they were "hipsters." It's actually kind of funny (but mostly sad). See: people who shop at Urban Outfitters, Topshop, etc. Most people I know who deny being hipsters do it only half-seriously so that they can keep their blasé attitude. Deep down they love it.

And Devendra is just a regular sleazy ass hipster who only pretends to be a hippie because it's cool. Doesn't he live in Topanga Canyon or something now?

sbessiso
11-23-2008, 02:41 PM

Bonnaroo.

And I can't seem to shake this Bmack off my tail....

boarderwoozel3
11-23-2008, 02:43 PM
Most people I know who deny being hipsters do it only half-seriously so that they can keep their blasé attitude. Deep down they love it.

So true, so irritating.

canexplain
11-23-2008, 02:44 PM
arent most real hippies dead .... they (we) would have to be at least 60 or so .... the rest arent in the true sense hippies, but just wanna bees .... see: Phisheads ..... cr****

canexplain
11-23-2008, 02:51 PM
actually, going by wiki, if you put creed in it at all, there may be no hipsters either ... read what it says a hippie believes in and i bet if you put those types of questions in a poll, eight percent of the people here espond those views ... cr****

MissingPerson
11-23-2008, 03:44 PM
Hippies are wonderful, in theory. In theory.

I've had flatmates of both persuasions, and I'd pick the Hipsters every time. Nobody's 100% Hipster, and the rest of it is usually all good.

Living with hippies nearly stressed me to death.

wmgaretjax
11-23-2008, 03:50 PM
mostly I just hate gay people... my guess is there are more gay hipsters... SO I vote hipsters.

rage patton
11-23-2008, 04:07 PM
mostly I just hate gay people... my guess is there are more gay hipsters... SO I vote hipsters.

Quote of the day.

allyjoy
11-23-2008, 04:07 PM
hippies make me want to smoke a bowl
hipsters make me want to punch someone in their face

canexplain
11-23-2008, 04:31 PM

that is funny , but as free as hippies are, i think it is totally the other way ... queer eye for whatever it is called is a good example ... cr****

wmgaretjax
11-23-2008, 04:33 PM
yeah but I mean GAY gay... hippies just don't care that much either way... a good time is a good time.

canexplain
11-23-2008, 04:36 PM
yeah but I mean GAY gay... hippies just don't care that much either way... a good time is a good time.

ya :) now that you mention it, the first person i ever knew that was gay gay was a hippie ... he got beat up so many times by the cowboys .... now there is an interesting genra sp ... shit kickers ... cr****

MeowMixer
11-23-2008, 05:27 PM
My reasoning behind picking hippies, is that I could be in a sea of hipsters and none of them would say a word to me (unless they were reallly drunk, in which case they would be a source of amusement). Hippies are all tolerant, they'll walk upt to you and start asking you questions and stuff.
I don't like takling to people, and I particularly don't like being accosted by rank "dudes" who start their sentences with "I really" or "I'm really into". And I don't like people who end their sentences with "right now."

Neutral Milk Hotel
11-23-2008, 05:36 PM
Anyone who's had to spend a year living in a dorm with a hippie knows the answer to this.

MissingPerson
11-23-2008, 05:41 PM
Anyone who's had to spend a year living in a dorm with a hippie knows the answer to this.
YES!

Although I'd argue that this goes mainly for people who describe themselves as hippies. They're just lazy pretentious fucks with bad hygiene and a deep, unquenchable need to lecture you.

Doubly so if you're under twenty five, because like Ron said earlier, they definitely ain't real hippies. It just suits them to have a stereotype to live down to.

Neutral Milk Hotel
11-23-2008, 05:47 PM
Yeah, let me show you all some pictures of what happened when my hippie dormmate had his buddies over one night:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v116/CitizenKane/Stoner1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v116/CitizenKane/Stoner2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v116/CitizenKane/Stoner3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v116/CitizenKane/Stoner4.jpg

kroqken
11-23-2008, 06:39 PM

There are lots of hippies in Humbolt or Santa Cruz California.

kroqken
11-23-2008, 06:41 PM
Hipsters are better than scenesters. Scenesters are wanna be hipsters.

wmgaretjax
11-23-2008, 07:27 PM
i always thought they were synonyms...

Neutral Milk Hotel
11-23-2008, 07:34 PM
Yeah, those are the same thing.

zenidogx
11-23-2008, 07:35 PM
hipsters are more annoying to me because i see them more often then hippies.
i fucking hate LA.

canexplain
11-23-2008, 07:41 PM
hipsters are more annoying to me because i see them more often then hippies.
i fucking hate LA.

i lived in La Habra, i consider that LA, for two years .... it was fun and like a party everyday, but when i left, i was glad i did ... cr****

wmgaretjax
11-23-2008, 07:52 PM
I also think most of you are incorrectly using the term hipster.... but i couldn't care one way or the other.

kroqken
11-23-2008, 07:54 PM
Scenesters try to fit into a scene, they are not necessarily "hip."

wmgaretjax
11-23-2008, 07:55 PM
Scenesters try to fit into a scene, they are not necessarily "hip."

the scene...

kroqken
11-23-2008, 07:57 PM
I notice the poll results are showing that hipsters are continuing to drop in popularity.

sbessiso
11-23-2008, 08:29 PM
hippies make me want to smoke a bowl
hipsters make me want to punch someone in their face

End of thread.

BlackSwan
11-23-2008, 08:34 PM
I also think most of you are incorrectly using the term hipster.... but i couldn't care one way or the other.

canexplain
11-23-2008, 10:40 PM
another thing about how some hippies think .... i have no idea who on this board is a girl or a guy (excluding of course the obvious), how old or young you are, if you are gay or not, right or left, blah blah, why? because you are a person and thats all i care about .... hipsters or Scenesters or whatever you call them, care what school you are going to, what kind of car you drive, where you live, etc and not just to get to know you, but to judge and figure out if they will like you or not .... i guess ...... cr****

kroqken
11-23-2008, 10:43 PM
another thing about how some hippies think .... i have no idea who on this board is a girl or a guy (excluding of course the obvious), how old or young you are, if you are gay or not, right or left, blah blah, why? because you are a person and thats all i care about .... hipsters or Scenesters or whatever you call them, care what school you are going to, what kind of car you drive, where you live, etc and not just to get to know you, but to judge and figure out if they will like you or not .... i guess ...... cr****

As Martin Luther King Jr. said, judge someone by the "content of their character." MLK > Ron Paul

canexplain
11-23-2008, 10:45 PM
yea just because you live in sherman oaks and are an elietest sp doesnt bother me .....heheheh jk ..... cr****

kroqken
11-23-2008, 10:48 PM
yea just because you live in sherman oaks and are an elietest sp doesnt bother me .....heheheh jk ..... cr****

What does sp stand for?

canexplain
11-23-2008, 11:05 PM
What does sp stand for?

stands for i cant spell worth a damn and too lazy to look up the correct spelling ... i know when i spell a word wrong at least .... i talk pretty good though :). cr****

kroqken
11-23-2008, 11:07 PM

I am not a snob. I have friends from all socioeconomic classes. Also, I am one of the less wealthy residents of Sherman Oaks. I do not even have a car.

RotationSlimWang
11-23-2008, 11:13 PM
Hippies are grosser in physical ways, hipsters grosser in spiritual ways, and both are equally valueless for conversation or wit.

But hippies actually serve a purpose--drugs.

kroqken
11-23-2008, 11:17 PM
Hippies also help to end unjust wars, like Vietnam.

RotationSlimWang
11-23-2008, 11:18 PM
THAT'S FUCKING FASCINATING, KEN.

kroqken
11-23-2008, 11:30 PM
Hippies joined with the New Left to start a movement to end an unjust war in a Third World nation. It really gained steam when middle America joined them in the turning point against the Vietnam War.

wmgaretjax
11-24-2008, 05:27 AM
yeah the hippies totally stopped the vietnam war... it wasn't that the war had gone on 16 years and the US had essentially lost it...

kroqken
11-24-2008, 06:20 AM
The hippies were one of the political factions that helped to stop the Vietnam War. It ended for may reasons, some complex in nature.

morelifefucker
11-24-2008, 07:03 AM
wtf is a hipster? what were they called ten years ago?

TomAz
11-24-2008, 08:24 AM
Hippies also help to end unjust wars, like Vietnam.

Hippies are the Me Generation, the single most selfish generation in american history. They have stolen from future generations to feed their materialistic cravings and dopey beliefs. They are a bunch of maleable spineless twits who will tell you they brought civil rights and ended vietnam, when in reality what they did was invent disco and vote for Reagan and Bush.

canexplain
11-24-2008, 08:27 AM
Hippies are the Me Generation, the single most selfish generation in american history. They have stolen from future generations to feed their materialistic cravings and dopey beliefs. They are a bunch of maleable spineless twits who will tell you they brought civil rights and ended vietnam, when in reality what they did was invent disco and vote for Reagan and Bush.

Tom you are such a cynic at times, lighten up dude :) .... and i think ?you were kidding, what true hippie would vote for reagan or bush ....shame on you ....... cr****

summerkid
11-24-2008, 08:30 AM
i vote hippy because hipsters might be douchebags but at least you can ignore them a hippy will talk your head off about nonsense.

Robototron
11-24-2008, 09:08 AM
when in reality what they did was invent disco and vote for Reagan and Bush.

Black people and gays invented disco.

BlackSwan
11-24-2008, 09:26 AM
there are 105 definitions (15 pages) for "hipster" in the urban dictionary. most of them written by people who dislike hipsters.

TomAz
11-24-2008, 02:15 PM
Black people and gays invented disco.

yeah invented was the wrong word. I'm thinking of the Bee Gees.

canexplain
11-24-2008, 02:33 PM
no offense on last week tom, i just thought it would be cool ....cr****

Mr. Dylanja
11-25-2008, 02:52 PM
HIPSTER

yeah invented was the wrong word. I'm thinking of the Bee Gees.
HIPPIE

no offense on last week tom, i just thought it would be cool ....cr****

CalmerThanYou
11-25-2008, 02:53 PM
HAAAAAAAAAAAAAhahahahhahhaha

canexplain
11-25-2008, 08:22 PM
HIPSTER

HIPPIE

and that is how it is , yep :) we just wanna hug lol .... cr****

algunz
11-25-2008, 08:50 PM
Why must we label?

canexplain
11-25-2008, 09:07 PM
Why must we label?

so we can tell one another from the other , yea sure .... cr****

jazzz
11-25-2008, 09:09 PM
I wasn't a hippy... I was a BEATNIK!

canexplain
11-25-2008, 09:39 PM
I wasn't a hippy... I was a BEATNIK!

i googled hipster and hippy and it said hipsters were before hippys so i guess it was a sort of a beatnik.... alan ginsberg :) cr****

do you consider Sun Ra jazz, just wondering ....

jazzz
11-25-2008, 10:15 PM
i googled hipster and hippy and it said hipsters were before hippys so i guess it was a sort of a beatnik.... alan ginsberg :) cr****

do you consider Sun Ra jazz, just wondering ....

I think the Beatniks were basically hipster hippys.

Sun Ra kind of do what they do I mean I can hear jazz along with many other influences. I can't really answer that question. What's your take?

arbouler
11-25-2008, 10:23 PM
i am annoyed by people who bitch about annoying hipsters on message boards. god, admit it. you may not look hipstery on the outside but you guys are all a bunch of self hating hipsters on the inside.

jazzz
11-25-2008, 10:30 PM
i am annoyed by people who bitch about annoying hipsters on message boards. god, admit it. you may not look hipstery on the outside but you guys are all a bunch of self hating hipsters on the inside.

funny I don't even pay attention either way... basically if you got good taste in music and art then I don't care what you look or dress like. I find that most people wearing all the gear and usually know nothing. They are more concerned with looking cool.

Meaghetto
11-25-2008, 11:11 PM
they should breed a super-hybrid hipster-hippie....it would have the ability to dream of world peace and tell you to fuck off, they would perfect the art of black tye-dye and manage a complete game of hacky-sack while completely slouched over and asking for cigs.

I actually heart the hipster and hippies...the only differance I notice is hippies more earthy...hipsters more trendy....both over accesserize and spend alot of time making their apperance seem unimportant, both have the "i just threw this on" look and "oh yeah, totally ment for my hair to look this way". I think the key work here is "Hip" Besides, back in the day when the term Hippie came about, they were also called Hipsters. I think the differances are kinda shallow where deep down they are pretty much the same.

Jman4321
05-10-2009, 12:18 PM
Hipsters can roll their eyes at you because of how you dress and what you listen to , but for me that's easy to ignore. Hippies love ranting about their idealized and oversimplified notions of society and responsibility and that is far more annoying to me.

TommyboyUNM
05-10-2009, 12:33 PM
Most annoying thing to me: People who always talk about how much hippies and hipsters annoy them.

Still-ill
05-10-2009, 01:02 PM
Most annoying thing to me: People who always talk about how much hippies and hipsters annoy them.

QFT! :thu

Gribbz
05-10-2009, 01:06 PM
Hipsters can rolls their eyes at you because of how you dress and what you listen to , but for me that's easy to ignore. Hippies love ranting about their idealized and oversimplified notions of society and responsibility and that is far more annoying to me.

This.

Backwater
05-10-2009, 01:14 PM
Hipsters

Still-ill
05-10-2009, 01:19 PM
Well you are a hippie.

c-sanch
05-10-2009, 01:43 PM
The bottom line is all of you sound like hipsters.
If I heard any of the above posts said at a festival, I would automatically think it was a hipster.

bmack86
05-10-2009, 01:50 PM
This is a funny question to ask a board populated with, mostly, some version of the two. All you raver kids are a half step from hippy with all the plur talk and constantly drug love rambles, and I'm sure a good amount of the populace would label people like Jared, andrew, John, myself and many others as hipsters. Fuck it all.

Backwater
05-10-2009, 02:10 PM
Well you are a hippie.

Feed me more

stinkbutt
05-10-2009, 03:22 PM
Hipsters

http://cache.gizmodo.com/assets/resources/2008/03/wrong-urinal.jpg

TallGuyCM
05-10-2009, 03:33 PM
Wrong section...I'm pretty sure there's a section titled "Polls". But fwiw, hipsters are waaaaaaaaay morning annoying.

Geno_g
05-10-2009, 03:38 PM
Hipsters, especially the Ed Banger style hipsters, annoying...

JustSteve
05-10-2009, 03:38 PM
Wrong section...I'm pretty sure there's a section titled "Polls". But fwiw, hipsters are waaaaaaaaay morning annoying.

i'm pretty sure the polls section wasn't around in 2007, you know, when this thread was started. nice try, though.

stinkbutt
05-10-2009, 03:44 PM
http://cache.gizmodo.com/assets/resources/2008/03/wrong-urinal.jpg

for all those sayin hipsters once again

TallGuyCM
05-10-2009, 03:44 PM
i'm pretty sure the polls section wasn't around in 2007, you know, when this thread was started. nice try, though.

It wasn't around in 2007, but could have been moved since then like dozens of other threads have. You almost had me.

Aurgasm
05-10-2009, 03:55 PM
Choice C.) Suprefan CHECK

Principal Onyx Blackman
05-11-2009, 09:39 AM
They are both unwelcome in my halls.

canexplain
05-11-2009, 10:38 AM
well since this thread started i am still sort of a hippy ... i do like my hair to be multi colored lol cr****

vinylmartyr
01-05-2011, 09:48 PM
Burgeoning hippy hipster movement happening in LA. Hate it.

Thisismyname
01-05-2011, 10:40 PM
Maybe this will make the Roo lineup better...?

ShyGuy75
01-06-2011, 06:17 AM
burgeoning? are you new to la or just don't leave the valley much?

TomAz
01-06-2011, 06:29 AM
hippy hipster happening hater.

vinylmartyr
01-06-2011, 09:10 AM
I'm new to LA.

Gribbz
01-06-2011, 10:26 AM
Neo-hippies are the worst.

greghead
01-06-2011, 10:29 AM
http://www.reganrussell.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/edward_sharpe.jpg

ShyGuy75
01-06-2011, 11:38 AM
http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn254/scottmasonmusic/joe-wilson-you-lie-photocopy.jpg

SoSS the visual ninja
01-06-2011, 11:48 AM
It really depends on who is sporting the biggest Jesus-like beard.

ramblinon
01-06-2011, 12:41 PM
I have learned to never trust a man who denies oxygen and blood flow to his own genitalia. Ergo, down with hipsters.

Chromezeppelin
01-06-2011, 03:19 PM
i can't really say that hipsters have ever wronged me but their schtick is just whack if ya ask me. self absorbed middle/upper middle class youth will always find a way to reject the conservative values and lifestyle that gave them the free time to become hipsters. it used to be hippy shit, now its hipster shit.

hipsters don't really stand for anything, they're different for the sake of being different. that's lame. just fuckin be yourself for a change

Alfimedo Martinez
01-07-2011, 09:55 AM
"Does anyone here care about the Rules!?"

Coach-HOW HIGH

NachoCat
01-07-2011, 10:05 AM
hipsters don't really stand for anything, they're different for the sake of being different. that's lame. just fuckin be yourself for a change

Completely agree.

Alfimedo Martinez
01-07-2011, 10:12 AM
we're taking it all the way to Capitol Hill, then we're taking it to Magic City where we cann all get a lap dance for FREE!!! BIIIYAAAAAAH!!!!!

NachoCat
07-30-2011, 01:34 PM
lVmmYMwFj1I&feature

lunatic core
07-30-2011, 11:57 PM
I live in Oklahoma now.. So I fucking hate cowboys and rednecks. I don't really have to deal with hipsters and hippies. In Vegas I just hated everybody. I haven't lived in Cali since the 80's.

RedHotSgtPeppers
07-31-2011, 01:18 PM
I live in Oklahoma now.. So I fucking hate cowboys and rednecks. I don't really have to deal with hipsters and hippies. In Vegas I just hated everybody. I haven't lived in Cali since the 80's.

What part of OK?

I'm in Edmond, obviously. UCO has a lot of hipsters (along with its fair share of girls with Skrillex haircuts). I want to punch them all in the throat.

lunatic core
07-31-2011, 10:25 PM
What part of OK?

I'm in Edmond, obviously. UCO has a lot of hipsters (along with its fair share of girls with Skrillex haircuts). I want to punch them all in the throat.

Im in Yukon right now.

TomAz
08-01-2011, 07:01 AM
which truck stop do you work at?

davrone
08-03-2011, 08:23 AM
I briefly dated a hipster. Emphasis on the word "briefly".

Excuuuuuse me for not knowing who Liquid Liquid was...

Neighborhood Creep
08-03-2011, 12:30 PM
for all those sayin hipsters once again

You're just saying that because you're from MN

http://blogs.citypages.com/dressingroom/2011/05/minnesota_buzzfeed_most_hipster_state.php

brematale111
08-03-2011, 12:30 PM
Hippies make me want to punch hipsters

suprefan
08-04-2011, 04:51 PM
jbTI7eWaQbk