PDA

View Full Version : Set that surprised you the most (in a good way)

juloxx
04-19-2011, 02:50 PM
So which act that you werent expecting too see/ werent expecting much out of blew your mind. for me personally its...

-Lil B.

Dont really know how or why I ended up at his set, but it was a good decision. The crowd just put a huge smile on my face and it was so funny hearing the nonsensical knowledge Lil B was eager to share with the crowd. He also said that his new album is going to be the most controversial thing in hip-hop. It will be named "I Am Gay", ha!

itsgonrain
04-19-2011, 02:53 PM
Yeah I kinda hate Lil' B but his fans intrigue me to no end...couple cooking dances? Ellen Degeneres? Wtf is going on?

StopMakingSense
04-19-2011, 02:56 PM
The Kills

They only reason I went to see them was that I remember listening to MSTRKRFT's BBC Essential Mix and Pete Tong mentioned they've remixed The Kills. Thought to myself "Well I like MSTRKRFT, they like The Kills, I could quite possibly really enjoy this band."

Holy hell, what a set. I never wanted it to end. Every song had a killer riff that just melted with her voice.

gkrablin
04-19-2011, 02:58 PM
MENOMENA
MENOMENA
MENOMENA
MENOMENA
MENOMENA
MENOMENA
MENOMENA

These guys kick ass. First live act on the Outdoor Stage on Sunday. Great show. Lead singer has a great voice and these guys have lots of stage presence and versatility (can play number of instruments).

303dubbin
04-19-2011, 03:03 PM
Lee Burridge (so fucking sick thank you lilia for tellin me about that)
afrojack
omar rodriguez-lopez

SONR801
04-19-2011, 03:06 PM
OZOMATLI - my buddy and i were just chilling after finding some shade by one of the main stage speakers in the field. These guys were great! im so happy we stumbled upon them.

eventhough i hate kanye we decided to stop by on the way back and chill for about 20 minutes just to see what he brought to the table performance wise(stage setup/theatrics...etc) and can honestly say i was impressed by all the shit he was doing. Plus it was pretty fun booing him with my buddy and seeing peoples reactions as i quoted south park.

and lastly beardyman, i knew he was going to be badass but HOLY SHIT that was wayyyyyy more than i expected. such relentless & uninhibited talent!

juloxx
04-19-2011, 03:07 PM
-Chase n Status
Dont get me wrong, I was expecting to have fun at their set. but wow I wasnt expecting them to go all out in the way they did. I mean shit they had some chick singing for the end of their set and she was really really good. Also the MC was dope and they played music from all round the spectrum

CitizenJ
04-19-2011, 03:13 PM
DURAN DURAN... Most of their hits came before I was born, and really was not looking forward to them. I actually was planning on seeing the national, but decided at the last minute to switch and check out Duran Duran (seeing the national in September), and Duran Duran killed it. Their performance of A View To A Kill with all the James Bond intros was fantastic, as was their 8 piece orchestra. Best single song performance of the weekend for me.

Also, there was nothing that really caught my eye at 5pm on Sunday so i thought I would relive my middleschool days and go check out Jimmy Eat World and they were not half bad. The Crowd seemed to eat it up, despite their "non-coachella" late 90s radio-fare.

TrevorP
04-19-2011, 03:14 PM
-Chase n Status
Dont get me wrong, I was expecting to have fun at their set. but wow I wasnt expecting them to go all out in the way they did. I mean shit they had some chick singing for the end of their set and she was really really good. Also the MC was dope and they played music from all round the spectrum

ya they were it for me too, they fuckin killed it

travelfan
04-19-2011, 03:21 PM
Jimmy Eat World...actually didn't watch them, we were waiting in line for Spicy Pie and our friends to pee before sprinting to Nas & Damian Marley (which was an absolutely fantastic set), but we could hear the first two songs and they sounded much better than I would have expected. Then again I'm sure it was a bit of middle school/freshman year of high school nostalgia since the first two songs were off Bleed American which was my favorite CD at the time...well, besides Busta Rhymes "Genesis".

Scissor Sisters was also a blast, we only saw the last few songs but I had never really heard them before and it was just a total party. So many different types of people rocking out and having fun.

discobotica
04-19-2011, 03:22 PM
Kyle Hall, Goth Trad and Lee Burridge........although Emancipator would have to be the most surprising because he made me shed tears of joy, and I was just stoned at that time

Edit: in case you were wondering, it was this song that made me cry.......

3PEGDGxZdzA

:D

weareyourfriends
04-19-2011, 03:29 PM
It was definitely Foals for me. I wanted to get a good spot for Two Door Cinema Club and I had heard a lot of good stuff about Foals so I figured I'd watch their set. They were so energetic and fantastically dancy. Their drummer completely killed it.

PenisMuncher
04-19-2011, 03:40 PM
Alf Alpha

Totally wasn't expecting to get there that early on Friday, but I did so I just decided to go check out Alf Alpha and it was a really fun set. Not crowded, lots of dancing, great music.

wscmx13
04-19-2011, 03:44 PM
Shpongle and Health were definitely my biggest surprise of the weekend! Shpongle fucking ripped it. Finally I had room to move my body in a godly way and meet a gorgeous Russian girl who was just as dazzled as I was.

DANCE MAGIC
04-19-2011, 03:45 PM
Lauryn Hill.

I thought she was going to be this year's Sly Stone. I couldn't have been more wrong. Great show.

VigoTheCarpathian
04-19-2011, 03:47 PM
Health

Health killed. More impressive than No Ages performance in 09 and thats saying a bunch.

Gribbz
04-19-2011, 03:47 PM
Chromeo.

DeanCorso
04-19-2011, 04:10 PM
OFF!
Black Joe Lewis

wscmx13
04-19-2011, 04:20 PM
Health killed. More impressive than No Ages performance in 09 and thats saying a bunch.

No doubt man. I was just walking back from that recharging station when I heard this beautiful noise coming from the Gobi, so I had to check it out. Im not bummed that I missed most of Nas & Marley's. What bums me out is that I had to leave

seasponge
04-19-2011, 04:23 PM
Sphongle, hands down.

Everyone had room to just... dance. So amazing.

nathanfairchild
04-19-2011, 04:25 PM
duran duran

Gabbott66
04-19-2011, 04:27 PM
Kele. I walked into the set just looking for some shade, and was blown away.

wewantmuse
04-19-2011, 05:33 PM
HEALTH: Did not expect the heavy noise rock based off of the one "chillwave" song they play on XMU. I absolutely loved their energy and the crowd.

Two Door Cinema Club: These guys rocked incredibly hard for sounding very poppy on record.

loubque
04-19-2011, 05:37 PM
Lauryn Hill.

I thought she was going to be this year's Sly Stone. I couldn't have been more wrong. Great show.

Lauryn was the best thing about Friday. She killed it. Thank god i went to check her set.

thewoodenman
04-19-2011, 05:39 PM
leftfield. never heard of them before sunday.

zebrahum
04-19-2011, 05:42 PM
Trentemoller was insane, didn't know them at all before that moment.

DJ Sin
04-19-2011, 06:59 PM
Warpaint

allyjoy
04-19-2011, 07:02 PM
New Pants - my Friday opener ... so much fun!!!

oasis4life2002
04-19-2011, 07:05 PM
Crystal Castles by far

Unpretentious_Music_Snob
04-19-2011, 07:08 PM
Chase & Status!

nosurprises12
04-19-2011, 07:21 PM
leftfield. never heard of them before sunday.

Agreed; I actually downloaded Leftism before the fest and didn't really care for it, but I decided to stop by anyways. Best decision (well, second best behind skipping The Black Keys and going to Cut/Copy instead) of the weekend for me.

Skull08
04-19-2011, 07:26 PM
Suede. I never thought they would have so much energy live.

Desaparecidos
04-19-2011, 07:32 PM
The Felice Brothers definitely, one of my favorite sets of the weekend. I went to the set having learned about the band through Bright Eyes, and figured Conor and the rest of the band would be there, and right off spotted Conor and the whole Bright Eyes Crew backstage and knew they would get called out. Sure enough Conor came out and sang and Nate came out and played trumpet for a couple songs, and I think it was the lead singer of swell seasons came out and played trumpet too. It was like a party onstage with the brothers, especially the lead singer being belligerently drunk. They fucking rocked though, very impressive.

electrocute
04-19-2011, 07:39 PM
YACHT was it for me! I didn't really check them out much beforehand, only knew a few of their songs... but whoah! Talk about awesome. They had so much energy and charisma, nonstop great songs with a lot of subtly funny/clever parts. I did not expect it to be anywhere near as dancey as it was! Their girl singer is totally badass too. Really looking forward to following them more closely from now on, def will check em out when they come to SF again.

I have to say I'm really surprised that Kanye made a fan out of me with that performance. Very impressive.

alpez03
04-19-2011, 07:57 PM
Ratatat and Trentemoller!!

IlliniQ
04-19-2011, 07:58 PM
Not Elbow and Foals...familiar with material they would be playing and their prior live reputations...had never seen either before but had a sense both would kill.

For me it was probably The Love Language...knew nothing of them but felt they were very locked in, not just from a performance standpoint, but musically...just got a sense they have a very clear vision of who they are and I thoroughly enjoyed every song in their set.

I know people already familiar with DeLorean were disappointed due to sound issues...but knowing nothing of their material, I thought they were awesome. Ditto the first half of Trentemoller.

Warpaint's probably the other big surprise...I've given The Fool a few spins so far and haven't connected with it but thought their sound was mesmerizing live.

gmoneyak
04-19-2011, 07:59 PM
Raphael Saadiq. Real tight band, old school R&B..

Cosmosis of the liver
04-19-2011, 08:03 PM
MONARCHY!!!
Couldn't help but get sucked in while i was walking from Crystal Castles to Sasha. Fucking weird and awesome to dance to. Had no idea who they were and I'm now a super fan.

Fig Neutron
04-19-2011, 08:50 PM
Sleigh Bells. There was a lot of talk on here about how they aren't good live, but they were one of the best sets I saw on Friday. Hands in the air fun.

theGold
04-19-2011, 09:07 PM
CSS was a ton of fun. I am a fan of their music, but have always heard that they lacked live. The lead singer was adorable in her broken english glory and the set was just energetic and funny.

Chase + Status were awesome as well. I have a few of their songs downloaded but dnb/dubstep with live instruments???? It just blew me away. Unbelievable.

Sleeping Lion
04-19-2011, 09:18 PM
Agreed; I actually downloaded Leftism before the fest and didn't really care for it, but I decided to stop by anyways. Best decision (well, second best behind skipping The Black Keys and going to Cut/Copy instead) of the weekend for me.

I was the exact way prior to Leftfield. Such a great big dance party.

Timestretch
04-19-2011, 09:29 PM
Trentemoller!!

As said above, I heard a lot of people say Sleigh Bells couldn't pull off a good live show, but they kicked my ass in a good way.

motionnn77
04-19-2011, 09:33 PM
Trentemoller
DJ Kentaro

BotConnecting
04-19-2011, 10:11 PM
MONARCHY!!!
Couldn't help but get sucked in while i was walking from Crystal Castles to Sasha. Fucking weird and awesome to dance to. Had no idea who they were and I'm now a super fan.

It was sad seeing the Gobi only about 50% when they started their set. I absolutely love Monarchy and was surprised by how professional they were on stage. They were on key, tuned perfectly, and the vocals were always perfect pitch. It was a great set overall!

Sleigh Bells; i had also heard that they were no good live but man was i rightfully put in my place. They got the crowd going, and they were going hard! although to be honest, the guy that plays the guitar isn't really needed, like he just plays the guitar and does back up vocals for about 2 seconds.

Chemical Brothers; i really didnt know what to expect with their live set, but i was more than happy when their set began with galvanized. By far the best act at Coachella 2011. and yes i know their set took forever to start but it wasn't their fault, Kings of leon messed up the screen in the back

That70sdesperado
04-19-2011, 10:34 PM
Crystal Castles- I'd heard so many bad things about them live but they ended up really impressing me. One of my favorite sets this year.

Somehow Lil B surprised the hell out of me. What an awesome crowd too--even Odd Future was getting in on the moshing, which my two belligerent friends claim to have started.

GrossMagic
04-19-2011, 10:45 PM
Glasser- went in deaf and was getting chills throughout the set.
DFA- wasn't planning on seeing them but ended up in the front mashing having the best time.
Cut Copy- expecting good things but holy shit they absolutely owned that tent! Top 3 of the weekend.
Ariel Pink- Meltdown was a surprise in a good way.

Bomboclat
04-19-2011, 10:46 PM
Leftfield really surprised me.

I knew they were gunna be good, but I didnt expect them to be as good as they were.

fatuppoopdown
04-19-2011, 11:35 PM
Lil B - I had no idea how ridiculous that set was gonna be. I was already really pumped for it but it truly blew me away.
HEALTH- Same deal as Lil B ... they had perfect timing.
Cults - I just had a lot of fucking fun with this set.
Glasser - I had never really listened to Glasser before but my mind was blown.
Sleigh Bells - Shit was fucking heavy.
Jupit3r - I wandered by the Do Lab and skipped Beardyman because the glitch hop goodness was too ridiculous to pass up.
Presets - Yeah ... Way fucking better than Kanye.
Emancipator - Never used the word beautiful to describe a DJ set until I saw him.

darkmoon66
04-19-2011, 11:43 PM
Cold War Kids
Crystal Castles

narek23
04-20-2011, 12:20 AM
i just want to say i misread the title of this thread as "Sex that surprised you the most (in a good way)" :P

to answer the question, The National was my surprise. didnt really care much for them before the fest but they were awesome live, will definitely be listening to them more now

paulb
04-20-2011, 12:53 AM
Cut Copy
Afrojack
Chase and Status

grichsgang
04-20-2011, 10:58 AM
Saw Plan B to eat lunch out of the sun and loved the energy and old-school R&B stuff.

I liked Foals musically, but didn't expect a rockin' set like they put on.

Freelance Whales - Liked them but expected a bit of a snoozer. Very tight with bouncy sound.

philabuster
04-20-2011, 11:13 AM

I second that (or third it or wherever I am in line). Health was basically a "there's nothing else I want to see choice" and they absolutely killed.

laurtie
04-20-2011, 11:21 AM
Lauryn Hill! I expected a train wreck and I thought she sounded amazing. I really liked how she had a full horn section too.

wompwomp
04-20-2011, 11:53 AM
Afrojack - really had no expectations coming in, I was just planning on sticking around for a little bit after A-Track, but Afrojack slayed. Best set I saw in the Sahara all weekend.

Kings Of Leon - now I don't hate them as much as a lot of people do, but I had no real desire to see them. I ended up heading over there to get away from the disaster that was Magnetic Man and to be honest I was pretty impressed by KOL. They sounded really tight and hearing a bunch of old stuff was pretty cool. I was pretty blown away by their rhythm section; the drummer in that band is a monster.

The Coach
04-20-2011, 11:57 AM
Crystal Castles. So much dark energy. She moved perfectly to the strobe lightning, collapsed on stage a few times and crowd-surfed.

ShredHead
04-20-2011, 12:08 PM
Joy Formidable - so much more aggressive than I expected, and what a finish!
Kele - lots of energy going back and forth from him and the relatively small crowd
Leftfield - knew they were gonna be good, but wow!

M Sparks
Also, there was nothing that really caught my eye at 5pm on Sunday so i thought I would relive my middleschool days and go check out Jimmy Eat World and they were not half bad. The Crowd seemed to eat it up, despite their "non-coachella" late 90s radio-fare.

Jimmy Eat World...actually didn't watch them, we were waiting in line for Spicy Pie and our friends to pee before sprinting to Nas & Damian Marley (which was an absolutely fantastic set), but we could hear the first two songs and they sounded much better than I would have expected. Then again I'm sure it was a bit of middle school/freshman year of high school nostalgia since the first two songs were off Bleed American which was my favorite CD at the time

I think Jimmy Eat World won the "Give the people what they want" award...the majority of their set was from 2004 or earlier, and they even threw in "Your New Aesthetic" for the real old school fans. The crowd really whipped into a frenzy toward the end and I totally didn't expect that.

My choice was probably Duran Duran, because they DIDN'T rely on the 80's stuff (I think they only did 5 songs from the early days) and it was still great beginning to end. The Lady Gaga cover at the end was embarrassing though.

foaminjectedaxlrose
Crystal Castles - alice is so raw on the albums, but sounded really beautiful live

Freelance Whales - my favorite pre-coachella discovery - i was hesitant about how they would handle a coachella crowd, but their set was one of my favorites of the weekend - sounded great, perfect daytime music, and the crowd was really friendly and fun

foaminjectedaxlrose
04-20-2011, 12:10 PM
Kele - lots of energy going back and forth from him and the relatively small crowd

Really happy to hear this. I opted to see Cold War Kids over him, but it was a tough choice. BLOC PARTY 2012!

cuauhtemoc723
04-20-2011, 12:11 PM
MENOMENA These guys kick ass. First live act on the Outdoor Stage on Sunday. Great show. Lead singer has a great voice and these guys have lots of stage presence and versatility (can play number of instruments).

did they play "cough coughing"? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVCOemBPlA8
i saw them earlier this year and my roomies were lagging all weekend. i missed: hurts, new pants, freelance whales, rye rye, the love language, plan b, twin shadow and menomena. this sucks because i feel that this would be the only opportunity that i'd see some of these acts (i probably wouldn't pay to see an entire show from: hurts or rye rye or the love language show).

Lauryn Hill. I thought she was going to be this year's Sly Stone. I couldn't have been more wrong. Great show.
a lot of people thought this but she's been on tour tearing it up. she added like four shows in l.a. (one tonight). she's on top of her game. she was my number one lure of the weekend (tied with pj harvey) and she did NOT disappoint. rather, with her brass section, energy and tight set, she verified why i was sooo looking forward to seeing her.

Trentemoller was insane, didn't know them at all before that moment.
out of the artists who i didn't really know or was expecting to see, trentemøller definitely was the best at a close tie with MEN. both of these groupd have great energy live and the audience was just as great!

303dubbin
04-20-2011, 12:15 PM
Afrojack - really had no expectations coming in, I was just planning on sticking around for a little bit after A-Track, but Afrojack slayed. Best set I saw in the Sahara all weekend.

Kings Of Leon - now I don't hate them as much as a lot of people do, but I had no real desire to see them. I ended up heading over there to get away from the disaster that was Magnetic Man and to be honest I was pretty impressed by KOL. They sounded really tight and hearing a bunch of old stuff was pretty cool. I was pretty blown away by their rhythm section; the drummer in that band is a monster.

did they play red morning light?

TheGunner'sDream
04-20-2011, 12:40 PM
Tame Impala. I didn't know they would sound so good. Very enjoyable set.

wompwomp
04-20-2011, 01:15 PM
did they play red morning light?

I don't believe so...I definitely remember hearing Taper Jean Girl, Pistol of Fire, The Bucket and Molly's Chamber. Pretty sure there was one or two more off their first two albums that I'm forgetting as well.