PDA

View Full Version : ok..what about worst show??

swiftcoins
04-19-2011, 09:14 AM
what was the worst show you saw all weekend?
i was hardly impressed with Cee Lo..more impressed with his all-girl band who didn't puss out after they cut the mics.
Most acts were pretty good or at least decent..anyone catch anything they thought was absolute shit?

GuyInTucson
04-19-2011, 09:21 AM
Skrillex

/thread

EDITED TO GIVE REASON FOR SEEING SKRILLEX - waiting for Odd Future (which was a mistake too)

brematale111
04-19-2011, 09:23 AM
I was EXTREMELY let down by the morning benders

socalguy100
04-19-2011, 09:24 AM
Ariel Pink

hollyb20
04-19-2011, 09:24 AM
same here. they kept playing new songs

Riflesmile
04-19-2011, 09:25 AM
Gogol Bordello - I just don't get it.

PlayaDelWes
04-19-2011, 09:26 AM
Cell Lo for sure.

Regarding The Morning Benders: Great music, but all it took was a couple youtube searches to know not to waste your time at their set.

travelfan
04-19-2011, 09:26 AM
Odd Future, but deep down I expected a mess.
Delorean, which was a bummer for me.

Everybody else I saw was fantastic, overall a great festival, but those two were let downs.

Riflesmile
04-19-2011, 09:27 AM
I also heard a tiny bit of Rye Rye which sounded fucking terrible - I quickly moved on.

venturas90sgirl
04-19-2011, 09:30 AM
Cee Lo was embarrassing and here everyone thought Lauryn Hill would be the trainwreck and she fucking killed.

calnick0
04-19-2011, 09:32 AM
Gogol Bordello - I just don't get it.

Awww man, I had a great time at Gogol. You should have gotten to the big mosh pit, you would have probably understood it a little more.

Monklish2.0
04-19-2011, 09:32 AM
Odd future or magnetic man... And I was stoked to see both..

BotConnecting
04-19-2011, 09:35 AM
Extremely let down by Odd Future, but give them time I'm sure they will eventually better live performers.
And wow does skrillex suck!

chiapet
04-19-2011, 09:47 AM
CSS was the least good set I saw... I'm not saying CSS is bad, just that I choose well. ;) But seriously - I saw CSS in 2007 & 2008 and since that time they seem to have re-worked their older songs in a way that has made them so much less fun.

That70sdesperado
04-19-2011, 09:52 AM
I heard Ariel Pink was a train wreck. Other than that I was pretty let down by Delorean.

PassiveTheory
04-19-2011, 09:58 AM
Delorean were fine, they just had a shitty time slot (no one wanted to dance in that heat) and a shitty stage. Plus, they worked through their sound problems like professionals and it didn't detract from the show.

bmack86
04-19-2011, 09:58 AM
Ariel Pink was the worst non-Skrillex set I watched

Mammoth85
04-19-2011, 10:02 AM
I heard Ariel Pink was a train wreck. Other than that I was pretty let down by Delorean.

Didn't the Ariel Pink singer stand with his back to the audience and chain smoke while the band played? My friend told me by the end of it he said something like "I can't do this. I know you guys are gonna hate me for this" and then walked off.

The Cee Lo fiasco would've been awesome to see.

But for me I was probably least impressed with HEALTH which was one of my most anticipated bands to see.

travelfan
04-19-2011, 10:02 AM
Delorean were fine, they just had a shitty time slot (no one wanted to dance in that heat) and a shitty stage. Plus, they worked through their sound problems like professionals and it didn't detract from the show.

I don't know man, their sound and time were terrible but I had issues with their performance as well. I thought Ekhi's voice was really struggling and there were several times they sounded out of synch with each other. And I actually really like them as a group...but we were so let down we left after 3-4 songs, maybe they got better later on? But a definite disappointment for me because I had really high expectations.

sonicc
04-19-2011, 10:03 AM
Odd Future

frizzlefry
Thirty minutes through Animal Collective I was just getting so disappointed, especially with that killer intro and the first part of their set. Didn't really know what to expect with the Creator's Project for this set but to me it eventually just sounded like a bunch of noise accompanied with those trippy screens, it just got boring to me, even on a head of acid.

fatuppoopdown
Skrillex was fucking horrible.

Animal Collective was just plain bad (besides the absolutely orgasmic intro).

Kanye ... seriously wtf ... motherfucker can't do anything on beat.

frizzlefry
04-19-2011, 10:04 AM
haha poopdown, beat you to it

Vic Viper
04-19-2011, 10:04 AM
Skrillex

/thread

EDITED TO GIVE REASON FOR SEEING SKRILLEX - waiting for Odd Future (which was a mistake too)
this would be my answer had i not already expected skrillex to be an absolute joke. i left odd future after it took them ages to start and was left underwhelmed by their first song.

so my real answer is: glasser. just about as boring a set as i could imagine, save for mirrorage. felt like watching a college band trying to emulate bjork and fever ray.

fatuppoopdown
04-19-2011, 10:05 AM
Didn't the Ariel Pink singer stand with his back to the audience and chain smoke while the band played? My friend told me by the end of it he said something like "I can't do this. I know you guys are gonna hate me for this" and then walked off.

But for me I was probably least impressed with HEALTH which was one of my most anticipated bands to see.

Seriously you thought HEALTH was bad? I thought their timing was absolutely perfect and their energy was insane. It was easily my favorite set of the weekend besides Lil B (purely for the crowd), Chromeo, and Emancipator (the Do Lab was insane this year)

DRcube
04-19-2011, 10:06 AM
Skrillex hands down..what a piece of shit set.

Mammoth85
04-19-2011, 10:07 AM
Seriously you thought HEALTH was bad? I thought their timing was absolutely perfect and their energy was insane. It was easily my favorite set of the weekend besides Lil B (purely for the crowd), Chromeo, and Emancipator (the Do Lab was insane this year)

I didn't think they were bad. They just didn't get me going.

fatuppoopdown
04-19-2011, 10:11 AM
I didn't think they were bad. They just didn't get me going.

That is understandable. I easily could see how that set may have let some people down. I mean, different opinions amirite? But seriously ... I thought I lost my mind when they played We Are Water.

shamechisel
04-19-2011, 10:12 AM
the people obsessed with hating on skrillex obviously missed the ceelos / foster the people / whoever else's ~55 minute sets got cut down by late artists or sound checks that took forever

at least you got to actually see something at skrillex

dorkfish
04-19-2011, 10:12 AM
I can't subjectively say that Skrillex was bad, because I knew it was going to be horseshit, but:

- Most bro-filled set of the weekend.
- Pon de Floor...really...?

fatuppoopdown
04-19-2011, 10:13 AM
Oh I want to add another one to the list. Daedelus let me down in a horrible horrible way. I mean he was really good and had a shit ton of swag up there on stage but what the fuck was up with the dubstep set. I wanted something very different from Daedelus for my first time seeing him.

Too much dubstep at Coachella.

shermanoaksyo
04-19-2011, 10:14 AM
Odd Future deserves recognition here

Vic Viper
04-19-2011, 10:16 AM
I can't subjectively say that Skrillex was bad, because I knew it was going to be horseshit, but:

pon de floor was dropped more than once over the weekend. i forget who else threw it in, but it was a serious "wtf?" moment every time i heard it.

fatuppoopdown
04-19-2011, 10:17 AM
Odd Future deserves recognition here

I thought Odd Future was fucking amazing. Hodgy, Tyler, and Mike G all sounded awesome to me.

fatuppoopdown
04-19-2011, 10:17 AM
pon de floor was dropped more than once over the weekend. i forget who else threw it in, but it was a serious "wtf?" moment every time i heard it.

Didn't Afrojack drop it too ... I might be confused.

Cheddar's Cousin
04-19-2011, 10:34 AM
Jimmy Eat World, But I was dragged there and expected it to be bad.

dyltr0n3030
04-19-2011, 10:42 AM
BUT SKRILLEX HAD KORN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SO0o0o0o0oo GOOEWWWWD

jokerfit
04-19-2011, 10:45 AM
WIIIIIZZZZZZZZZZZZ LIP SING

spacekat
04-19-2011, 10:45 AM
Oh I want to add another one to the list. Daedelus let me down in a horrible horrible way. I mean he was really good and had a shit ton of swag up there on stage but what the fuck was up with the dubstep set. I wanted something very different from Daedelus for my first time seeing him.

Yeah I feel you. I was hoping to hear some tracks off of Snowdonia or Exquisite Corpse, but it was all dubstep. In a way it makes sense though, I feel a lot of artists can't play the music they want because the crowd just wants to hear/ will only react to Dub Step. I almost killed during Nosaj Thing when some one yelled out "BUMP THIS SET".

JamesMills
04-19-2011, 10:57 AM
Cee Lo

Bakonfat
04-19-2011, 11:19 AM
Kanye was fucking horrible. It's just some flashy shit to cover up his awful live performance. And seriously, when he was hitting that one sample from the sample pad (don't know exactly which song that was...), it was incredibly off beat

Also when I heard Skrillex drop Pon De Floor, I was expecting it to be followed by The Reward is Cheese or some bull.

tsrdrum
04-19-2011, 11:23 AM
Kanye was fucking horrible. It's just some flashy shit to cover up his awful live performance. And seriously, when he was hitting that one sample from the sample pad (don't know exactly which song that was...), it was incredibly off beat

Also when I heard Skrillex drop Pon De Floor, I was expecting it to be followed by The Reward is Cheese or some bull.

T0DRy9fpoqw

starting at :39

motionnn77
04-19-2011, 11:24 AM
Tie btw Cee-Lo and Cold Cave.

andersunnO)))
04-19-2011, 11:24 AM
Didn't skrillex play warp AND pon de floor?

grichsgang
04-19-2011, 11:42 AM

I'm in that club, too. The crowd was pretty pumped, I thought, though the jumping going on at Mojave for Drums was of great concern for those of us that chose the MB's. Then they come out and open with some going nowhere, slow-tempo song and devolve into equally slow-tempo (and what appear to be crappy) new songs. By that time, I was a goner.

Angus & Julia Stone were a garbled snoozer too.

Everything else (even MEN) was at least interesting for a few songs.

algunz
04-19-2011, 11:50 AM
Having to listen to the end of Lightening Bolt while waiting for Phantogram's set to start was torturous.

Vic Viper
04-19-2011, 11:51 AM
Didn't Afrojack drop it too ... I might be confused.
lol yeah he did. it didn't bother me as much since his crowd was seriously bro'd out so i guess it kind of fit? i just wanted to hear "take over control" since i dig that track. left immediately after he mixed out of it.

and yes, skrillex did play warp. god i had forgotten about that.

Strike III
04-19-2011, 11:56 AM

Pon de Floor was played at least 4 times everyday. Afrojack dropped it 3 times alone.

le cab
04-19-2011, 11:56 AM
Having to listen to the end of Lightening Bolt while waiting for Phantogram's set to start was torturous.

THIS!!!
so horrific. However, I couldn't stay at Phantogram their set was being drowned by the strokes and Chromeo :(

The Coach
04-19-2011, 11:59 AM
Cee-Lo was a huge kick to the nuts, esp 10 seconds into the Journey cover. I stuck around and watched Lauryn Hill. She was better than she was at RtB, but she still mashes her songs up way too much, was late, and sounded like a hype-man. I am done with her until she brings that voice back w/ un-retarded tempo. Why can't she sit down with a guitar like she did on the double-cd.

Foster the People. Glad I waited for them to finally get out on stage because they played a few really good songs....but holy shit. Be ready to fucking play! They only ran out on stage after 400 "mic-check, check check, 1 check check check, woop check" and a full tent booing. I was shocked to see how many people stayed that 25 mins.

Animal Collective Lame! I like AC, but that was not only a poor performance but I also overhyped what I was about to see. I would have rather have seen Panda Bear on outdoor.

kronz420
04-19-2011, 12:04 PM
Not sure who was spinning in the Sahara at the time but I heard Sandstorm and better off alone while sitting in the beer gardens.... Shame on whoever that was

spence
04-19-2011, 12:06 PM
Guys skrillex "mixed" warp INTO pon de floor.....it doesn't get much worse than that

thewoodenman
04-19-2011, 12:08 PM
the very last dj in the dolab sunday night. i just wanted to run through there one last time on my way to leftfield. he deserves to have his equipment taken away from him and given to someone with talent. he started his set, hit the wrong button and his set completely started over. when it did start over, he just randomly mixed into a new song from his intro and it did not flow in the slightest and sounded like utter shit. then the song just ended and he was like "im gonna play you guys a song i just made yesterday" started playing it, and about 30 seconds in he just stops and goes "oh shit that's the wrong one''. we then had our fare share of laughs and headed over to leftfield for one of the best sets of the weekend.

gkrablin
04-19-2011, 12:12 PM
Odd future or magnetic man... And I was stoked to see both..

Couldn't have said it better

dancinginthedesert
04-19-2011, 12:16 PM
Not sure who was spinning in the Sahara at the time but I heard Sandstorm and better off alone while sitting in the beer gardens.... Shame on whoever that was

That was Joachim Garraud. His set was one of the lamest things I've ever seen in my life - I didn't really know what he was, for some reason I thought he made tech house or something similar - instead it was terrible aggressive shit that I couldn't even categorize. Sandstorm was probably the best song he played.

socalguy100
04-19-2011, 12:20 PM

Truth. I was right up front and there were people around me with their fingers jammed into their ears. Not that it did any good. My ears are still ringing 2 days later.

TommyboyUNM
04-19-2011, 12:28 PM

Yeah I feel you. I was hoping to hear some tracks off of Snowdonia or Exquisite Corpse, but it was all dubstep.

Either I really don't know what dubstep is, or you two have very loose definitions of dubstep. I hate the wompy chainsaw sounds in mostly the same time signature, and that's really not what Daedelus was. Do you think that anything with bass is dubstep?

PointBlank
04-19-2011, 12:35 PM
Huge Animal Collective fan, but I hated their set. Black Dice's visuals were cool, but I guess I wasn't nearly high enough for it because I was bored off my ass. And I couldn't leave because I was packed in like 10 rows back from the rail, trying to get a prime spot with my friend who loves Arcade Fire. My 4th time seeing them and easily the worst.

I also wasn't feeling Health's set either. Glad I left to see Nas & Damien Marley. Top 5 set of the weekend for me.

infestma
04-19-2011, 12:41 PM

and warp... I mean come on. I spent some time telling the people around me that this was awful but they just WOULDN'T LISTEN. At least I got one nod of agreement.

Hempey
04-19-2011, 12:44 PM
Magnetic Man was so bad, I was so excited to see them too. Only redeeming factor was that I left to go check out crystal castles who were actually way better than I was expecting. Also Caspa's MC ruined that set for me.

PenisMuncher
04-19-2011, 12:46 PM
Foster the People. Glad I waited for them to finally get out on stage because they played a few really good songs....but holy shit. Be ready to fucking play! They only ran out on stage after 400 "mic-check, check check, 1 check check check, woop check" and a full tent booing. I was shocked to see how many people stayed that 25 mins.

Not that I wasn't annoyed at them being on 25 minutes late, but is it really their fault that Tinie Tempah played 30 minutes late? I went over there at 6:50 and Tinie Tempah was just starting his final song. Not even sure if it's Tinie Tempah who messed up, but someone really screwed up their set time at Gobi and it wasn't Foster The People.

JamesMills
04-19-2011, 01:07 PM
Delorean, which was a bummer for me.

lol wtf??? They were easily one of the most riveting performances of the weekend, one of the biggest surprises for sure imo

We were dancing up a fucking storm on the front right rail by the keyboardist (who was rocking just as hard as us)

JamesMills
04-19-2011, 01:10 PM

I remember saying a few months ago that it was pretty obvious their shit wouldn't translate live, nor would their attitudes, but everyone just flames me.

mrpeepers06145
04-19-2011, 01:22 PM
More disappointed by Animal Collective's performance than it actually being bad, but it wasn't very good.

Cee-Lo being late sucked, and I didn't really care for the band to go with his songs. I felt like his short lived set could have been somewhat better using more instruments that are in the songs.

Didn't really stay for anyone all the way through that I wasn't liking

C DUB YA
04-19-2011, 01:25 PM
Skrillex and Odd Future are both horrible.

There were numerous warnings to this point. Neither of them should have careers in the music industry. Period.

They are the PingPong Bitches (yeah who?) of 2011.

KickerConspiracy
04-19-2011, 01:38 PM
THIS!!!
so horrific. However, I couldn't stay at Phantogram their set was being drowned by the strokes and Chromeo :(

I stuck with Phantogram for two songs but they were basically inaudible and uneven sounding even in the center middle of the tent.

I think Interpol was the show in which I was most disappointed because I expected a lot and was let down by their listless set. In retrospect, I should have seen Kele.

SONR801
04-19-2011, 01:43 PM
magnetic man was a big let down. It seemed by the end they were just playing tracks and the horrible mc would talk in between.

also, i didnt intend on catching any of lightning bolt but they were before phantogram and completely sucked ass. Sorry to anyone who didnt like me booing them from a distance....not really though

Mabdul Doobakus
04-19-2011, 02:07 PM
Odd Future was depressingly bad for the first song and a half. We got out of there as fast as humanly possible, but it took me like an hour to recover. I was amped for a big Coachella moment, and it was one of the worst two sets I've ever seen at the Coach, maybe the worst.

joppy-slow
04-19-2011, 02:09 PM

pon de floor ... tee hee.
it's amazing that a twat like skrillex got to play the sahara, when high contrast / lee burridge are stuck playing the dome / do lab.

Tripod Magic
04-19-2011, 02:15 PM
Cee-Lo was a huge kick to the nuts, esp 10 seconds into the Journey cover. I stuck around and watched Lauryn Hill. She was better than she was at RtB, but she still mashes her songs up way too much, was late, and sounded like a hype-man. I am done with her until she brings that voice back w/ un-retarded tempo. Why can't she sit down with a guitar like she did on the double-cd.

Animal Collective Lame! I like AC, but that was not only a poor performance but I also overhyped what I was about to see. I would have rather have seen Panda Bear on outdoor.

Foster the People weren't really to blame for their late set time. Tinie Tempah was on before it and started 20 late, but they didn't Cee-lo him and kick him off so I guess it was something out of his control. So really they were only 5 minutes late. I think that math works.

IlliniQ
04-19-2011, 02:24 PM
As much as I loved this year, there were at least a couple duds each day.

Friday

Miguel - Beyond cheesy set and artist (think Usher crossed with Journey) to open fest after the winning Kate Miller-Heidke last year. Thought I was watching American Idol.

!!! - Very disappointed...for all their talk of blowing the roof off the place they weren't one quarter as exciting or fun as Black Joe Lewis...only closer Heart of Hearts impressed.

Morning Benders was a snooze.

Glasser needs to work some variety into their stage routine...loved Apply but went nowhere after that, and frankly they don't have enough good material yet to get through on songs alone, got very boring.

Interpol probably my least favorite set of weekend..not the worst, just least favorite...just don't get what people see in this band. Boring as all hell.

Cee Lo's anger an attitude were too interesting to call it a worst show, though it was an unmitigated disaster.

Saturday

Animal Collective was a master's study in how to not reach an audience, but when has AC ever cared about that...would've been fine with it on a smaller stage, but just a daring but ultimately failed scheduling choice by GV.

Francis and the Lights - Guy could sing but another incredibly cheesy vibe.

Sunday

MEN - Dreadful...gay misfits trying to co-opt Gossips thunder and doing a very poor job of it.

Angus and Julia Stone - Snore, and Angus couldn't sing a lick.

Best Coast - Definition of the word amateurish...bad sound, overrated songs. Typical pitchfork-hyped Vivian Girls coffee shop caliber garbage.

DFA 1979 - Watched the whole set and end up wishing I hadn't, have Machine and knew I wasn't a big fan. Hoped they could convert me live, they didn't. Felt like a wasted hour. National should have had their main stage slot.

Strokes - Time to time, they're a breath of fresh air...but their catalog of great songs ain't all that deep...the great ones rocked, the lesser tracks, yawn.

no Real complaints with anything else I saw...overall excellent

The Coach
04-19-2011, 03:56 PM
Foster the People weren't really to blame for their late set time. Tinie Tempah was on before it and started 20 late, but they didn't Cee-lo him and kick him off so I guess it was something out of his control. So really they were only 5 minutes late. I think that math works.

Ok cool. I walked up to the tent and waited about 15 not knowing what the delay was, but still stayed and enjoyed the songs they played. I will blame Ben Harper.

unknown
04-19-2011, 04:25 PM
The last bit of Magnetic Man I heard while waiting for Sasha was fucking laughable. I hate how big they are. Talentless and boring. It's a shame they got billed for the Sahara and the amazing light set up was used for them. What a fucking waste.

Shedboy84
04-19-2011, 04:27 PM
I walked by Lightning Bolt's set and had to listen for a bit to convince myself I wasn't making it up.

wewantmuse
04-19-2011, 04:28 PM
Cold Cave: No energy and an annoyingly pretentious frontman

The Strokes: They all played well, but Julian's drunken rambling was cringe-worthy and they brought nothing new to the songs. No jam sessions, no energy, etc.

Animal Collective: Love them on record.. didn't get the live performance at all.

Radiohead
04-19-2011, 04:31 PM
Odd Future and Magnetic Man were the biggest let downs for me. Cee Lo was probably the worst thing I saw, but I didn't have really high hopes.

Mak Attack
04-19-2011, 04:37 PM
odd future was the worst, make that the only, bad set i saw. this year was so strong.

JamesMills
04-19-2011, 05:09 PM
As much as I loved this year, there were at least a couple duds each day.

Friday

Miguel - Beyond cheesy set and artist (think Usher crossed with Journey) to open fest after the winning Kate Miller-Heidke last year. Thought I was watching American Idol.

!!! - Very disappointed...for all their talk of blowing the roof off the place they weren't one quarter as exciting or fun as Black Joe Lewis...only closer Heart of Hearts impressed.

Morning Benders was a snooze.

Glasser needs to work some variety into their stage routine...loved Apply but went nowhere after that, and frankly they don't have enough good material yet to get through on songs alone, got very boring.

Interpol probably my least favorite set of weekend..not the worst, just least favorite...just don't get what people see in this band. Boring as all hell.

Cee Lo's anger an attitude were too interesting to call it a worst show, though it was an unmitigated disaster.

Saturday

Animal Collective was a master's study in how to not reach an audience, but when has AC ever cared about that...would've been fine with it on a smaller stage, but just a daring but ultimately failed scheduling choice by GV.

Francis and the Lights - Guy could sing but another incredibly cheesy vibe.

Sunday

MEN - Dreadful...gay misfits trying to co-opt Gossips thunder and doing a very poor job of it.

Angus and Julia Stone - Snore, and Angus couldn't sing a lick.

Best Coast - Definition of the word amateurish...bad sound, overrated songs. Typical pitchfork-hyped Vivian Girls coffee shop caliber garbage.

DFA 1979 - Watched the whole set and end up wishing I hadn't, have Machine and knew I wasn't a big fan. Hoped they could convert me live, they didn't. Felt like a wasted hour. National should have had their main stage slot.

Strokes - Time to time, they're a breath of fresh air...but their catalog of great songs ain't all that deep...the great ones rocked, the lesser tracks, yawn.

no Real complaints with anything else I saw...overall excellent

Holy crap, dude. You just NAILED my exact same opinions, straight down to me mentioning that Joe Lewis was way better than !!! and that The National should've had The Strokes' slot, as well as being disappointed with DFA, Inteprol, AC, and The Strokes.

Seriously, Iif I was drunk I would have literally assumed I wrote that. No joke.

rskapcat
04-19-2011, 05:21 PM
MEN sounded exactly like the record. Might not have been your taste, but as a fan, I thought they sounded great.

hendrixfan143
04-19-2011, 05:28 PM
How was Odd Future Bad?

PJ harvey was a giant let down, I camped all day after OFF1 for 8 songs. I even sat through two songs of jimmy eat world for two songs.

Hraph
04-19-2011, 05:34 PM
soooo let down by animal collective intro was sick though

HandBanana
04-19-2011, 05:40 PM
MEN were terrific and fun

DJ Sin
04-19-2011, 05:49 PM
I inadvertently caught Skrillex while eating in the rose garden. The only thing slightly redeeming about his set was Korn storming the stage for a half of a song.

Timestretch
04-19-2011, 07:50 PM
Big Audio Dynamite, singing out of key, poor harmonies, bad set list
Biggest disappointment was Animal Collective, cool intro and then noise (I did leave for Empire)

frizzlefry
04-19-2011, 08:14 PM
!!! was the tits, even in that painful heat, I thought they brought it.

electrocute
04-19-2011, 08:36 PM
Overall this year was beyond excellent in terms of acts and quality thereof, but I have to say I was surprised/shocked by the number of late starts and tech problems. Something seemed to happen for almost half the sets I saw, and I saw a LOT of sets. I tried not to let it get me down too much, but I hope something can be done about that for next year, because 2010 seemed to have very few problems and significantly less late starts...

My disappointments/stuff I didn't dig:
Ariel Pink - HORRIBLE. Barely watched 2 songs, trying to sit down and rest in there but it was too horrible sounding and AP was obviously having.. problems of his own? One of the worst Coachella "performances" ever from what I saw.

Animal Collective - not a fan, so I hadn't planned to check them out, but we were waiting in line for the "Untitled" art... after the cool intro, it just seemed to be really incoherent noise and overly simple "trippy" graphics. The biggest WTF of the festival.

The Strokes - seemed like a really lifeless performance. Songs sounded fine/good, but it was rather routine. Julian seemed like a huge tool to me, especially with that dipshit stupid hat! I saw them at ACL and was really impressed, so I thought they'd bring that same kind of intensity again... but it was just so blah.

CSS - As a once-huge fan of the band, it saddens me to see where they're going. In 2007 they were one of my favorite sets. By now both their recorded music and their live show seem to be running out of the pizzazz and rawness that made them appealing to begin with. Lovefoxx just isn't as cool as she used to be. Her outfit was... kind of just gross, with her weird slathered on doll makeup and baggy red "trash" t-shirt and the high shorts... just boring compared to her old sequined catsuits etc. She seemed more interested in crowd surfing this time so I bet the show seemed kind of boring to people in the back of the tent. The rest of the band just looked completely sloppy and boring. Sweaty tank tops and messy buns/ponytails? I mean, I know you guys aren't trying to be sexy, but it's fucking Coachella. Try. A little. And finally, to be honest, I think a big part of the reason they got booked for this year is the song "Let's Make Love and Listen to Death From Above". Seriously.

Things that were just underwhelming but not awful: the Drums, Cold Cave

Other things... I was disappointed in the crowd for DFA. I wish they would have been in a tent, because I really wanted people to go more crazy for it. Also, Robyn was fucking incredible, but WTF @ the screens not working for like, more than half of her set?!?!? I was so sad about that. Luckily we were close enough to see a lot of what she was doing, but it still sucked, because she's such an amazing dancer/performer that I WANTED TO SEE THAT SHIT!!!

Oh, and I really enjoyed MEN. JD Samson is fuckin rad!

MusicIsMyBoyfriend
04-19-2011, 09:06 PM
Worst- Cee Lo, no contest, late for unknown reasons and obviously pissed before he took the stage, but he still could have rocked that shit and given us 5 solid tracks, but he basically just farted and whined his way through what he did play. Fuck You for reals.

Disapointments in that I was expecting much more and/or they just did not stack up to other more amazing sets:
Interpol, glad I stuck with Cold War Kids (one of my fave sets of the fest) and only caught the last of Interpol... it was a bit meh.
Mumford & Sons, to be fair I didn't have a complaint about the material or their performance, but I don't think they were quite ready for the big stage. I think they would have been more suited to the outdoor at susnet. Also, a shit ton of people were talking. I ended up leaving early and caught The Swell Season, who were great.
The Black Keys, I was really excited to see them, but the sound for their set was fucked and I could barely hear anything. It was a sloid set, but, just not as good as I wanted.
Kanye West, solid set, I appreciate that he was trying, but I thought he would bring so much more... at least a special guest. And it felt too long.

suprefan
04-19-2011, 09:08 PM
Kanye West, solid set, I appreciate that he was trying, but I thought he would bring so much more... at least a special guest. And it felt too long.

So Bon Iver and Pusha T wasn't enough? This isn't Jay Z needing Beyonce to come out to floor people.......

MusicIsMyBoyfriend
04-19-2011, 09:09 PM
Also, I don't know why people are bagging on MEN and CSS.... I danced my ass off at both sets. And I was at CSS IN 07 as well, they were just as strong this year and I was digging the new material.

MusicIsMyBoyfriend
04-19-2011, 09:15 PM
So Bon Iver and Pusha T wasn't enough? This isn't Jay Z needing Beyonce to come out to floor people.......

Ok, point there, they were great and I was really excited actually about Bon Iver. You can ask my sister, I was totally dorking out about it. I don't know I just figured Kanye would have the power (hehe) to get everyone there you know. Either that or after the whole weekend of really fucking amazing shit, it would have taken everything to beat it.

I am not saying he was bad by any stretch of the imagination, and props for him being very well behaved and humble (for him), it just seemed like it wasn't as strong a way to end the festival as I would have expected.

Tupper
04-19-2011, 09:17 PM
Magnetic Man was the worst thing I'ver ever seen at coachella. (And I saw Happy Mondays).

gmoneyak
04-19-2011, 09:29 PM
Way too many of you saw Skrillex.

fatuppoopdown
04-19-2011, 10:38 PM
Way too many of you saw Skrillex.

I saw 15 minutes while waiting for Odd Future ... it was just long enough to decide it was horrible.

fatuppoopdown
04-19-2011, 10:42 PM
I want to add another one to the list but not really as worst show but more my biggest disappointment of the weekend.

I was enjoying my high from Lil B's insane set for the rest of Saturday. I was really fucking pumped to see Daedelus because I have been a fan for a long time. The man had incredible stage presence and was fun to watch too bad HE PLAYED A FUCKING DUBSTEP SET! I left after about 30 minutes in hopes that I might hear Fair Weather Friends, LA Nocturne, or Sundown ... I went back to my campsite really fucking disappointed.

Premium Roast
04-19-2011, 10:43 PM
Ariel Stink

but I still liked it alot

edbangme
04-19-2011, 10:55 PM
CSS - As a once-huge fan of the band, it saddens me to see where they're going. In 2007 they were one of my favorite sets. By now both their recorded music and their live show seem to be running out of the pizzazz and rawness that made them appealing to begin with. Lovefoxx just isn't as cool as she used to be. Her outfit was... kind of just gross, with her weird slathered on doll makeup and baggy red "trash" t-shirt and the high shorts... just boring compared to her old sequined catsuits etc. She seemed more interested in crowd surfing this time so I bet the show seemed kind of boring to people in the back of the tent. The rest of the band just looked completely sloppy and boring. Sweaty tank tops and messy buns/ponytails? I mean, I know you guys aren't trying to be sexy, but it's fucking Coachella. Try. A little. And finally, to be honest, I think a big part of the reason they got booked for this year is the song "Let's Make Love and Listen to Death From Above". Seriously.

I thought CSS was fantastic! I think they got booked because they are touring and have a new album coming out, they played Ultra Fest too and DFA 1979 was not there. I think you're critiquing them a little too harshly : /
Seeing them next week again : )

electrocute
04-19-2011, 11:38 PM
Ok, I think you're probably right... I think it's because I used to be SUCH a HUGE fan that now basically anything they do is going to be kind of a letdown for me... :\

edbangme
04-19-2011, 11:47 PM
Ok, I think you're probably right... I think it's because I used to be SUCH a HUGE fan that now basically anything they do is going to be kind of a letdown for me... :\

I know what you mean, I had the same problem with M.I.A., except she legitimately sucks now : /

paulb
04-19-2011, 11:57 PM
Odd Future
Skrillex
Perry Vs Etty vs Chris Cox - woof

megastar
04-20-2011, 12:14 AM
I convinced my friends to wait for a bit after Sander Kleinenberg to watch a minute of Joachim Garraud's keytar comedy routine. He did not disappoint. The one-finger Daft Punk medley was a highlight, and trying to guess which "Fresh Techno Jamz '97" track he would cue up next was a lot of fun.

rage patton
04-20-2011, 09:08 AM
Bahaha at everyone who hated Lightning Bolt. They were fucking amazing.

socalguy100
04-20-2011, 09:16 AM
I thought CSS was fantastic! I think they got booked because they are touring and have a new album coming out, they played Ultra Fest too and DFA 1979 was not there. I think you're critiquing them a little too harshly : /
Seeing them next week again : )

CSS killed it. I was next to the rail front and center. First time to see them, won't be the last.

laurtie
04-20-2011, 09:16 AM
Animal Collective - There was nothing enjoyable about this show for me, but I'm not a fan. I was just waiting for Arcade Fire.

Cee Lo Green - Obviously, a terrible set.

Chemical Brothers- Worst is the wrong description, but I was definitely most disappointed in the Chems. I have seen them several times and insanely loved them every other time. With the delays, and the screen not fully working, I just couldn't get into the set. It also felt like they were rushing it, not giving each track enough time to build.

socalguy100
04-20-2011, 09:17 AM
Bahaha at everyone who hated Lightning Bolt. They were fucking amazing.

Most people either loved them or hated them, not much in the middle. Me and my still ringing ears are in the latter group.

rskapcat
04-20-2011, 09:18 AM
Yeah...Lightning Bolt sounded like Lightning Bolt. And for that matter, Skrillex sounded like Skrillex. I can't really characterize something I just didn't like or get as the "worst" show. I tend to reserve the criticism for acts I saw on purpose.

Odd Future didn't live up the hype for me. Perhaps it got better after a few songs, but I didn't lose sleep over leaving early.

CSS started out weak, in my opinion, but the set took a turn for the better around the halfway mark.

kid_a
04-20-2011, 09:19 AM
Magnetic Man... not a huge fan, but was expecting more that just absolute suck.

foaminjectedaxlrose
04-20-2011, 09:23 AM
Skrillex
Odd Future was a pretty big letdown
Omar Rodriguez-Lopez - though to be honest it's just not my taste of music, they all were really good musicians