PDA

View Full Version : Kanye West killed it. People hating are retards, and here is why:

blackhatspydog
04-18-2011, 07:25 PM
Kanye Killed at Coachella. He had the best performance, put the most work into his set, played great music, and sounded great for a rapper. Read all of the reviews. It's beyond dispute really, but here are the reasons why people are hating:

1.) Music snobbery. Mostly coming from the hipsters that are here to see obscure bands that no one's ever heard of and think the 'spirit' of Coachella is ruined by having a famous hip-hop artist. Forgetting the fact that Kanye's set was very artistic and not your typical gangbanger hip hop. If anything Kanye deserved to be at Coachella more than Jay Z did.

2.) Racism. Coachella is supposed to be for white people! Now you've got other than white people coming here? The festival is ruined!

3.) You don't like Kanye's persona/attitude. So what? How does that take away from his music? Practically all of his albums are critically acclaimed masterpieces.

4.) You don't like Kanye's music. Okay, maybe this might be a little reasonable, so go see another set? You also can't deny the stage presence and the extremely epic show he put on.

5.) No celeb guests? BFD.. get over it. Boo hoo, Kanye performed with only Kanye.. what a travesty.

Get real people. Stop being snobs, racists, or just plain retards. Kanye KILLED IT. OBEY.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/kanye-west-delivers-one-greatest-179408

West delivered a grandiose, theatrical performance destined to be remembered as one of the great hip-hop sets of all time and, if he decides to tour the massive production, yet another monster smash to add to his already loaded, lauded collection.

boyalien0
04-18-2011, 07:27 PM
Like.

captncrzy
04-18-2011, 07:30 PM
Wait, so if you don't like Kanye West, you're a racist?

stinkbutt
04-18-2011, 07:32 PM
If you don't like Kanye West at Coachella, it's racist. Apparently he is saying Kanye brought more black people to the fields than any other headliner, which by the look of it, there still weren't many.

captncrzy
04-18-2011, 07:34 PM
There were some white musicians I didn't like either. But I did like all of the Brazillians.

blackhatspydog
04-18-2011, 07:48 PM
Wait, so if you don't like Kanye West, you're a racist?

No, that's not what I said. But I have heard from a ton of people that Coachella is becoming more and more ethnic and attracting a darker crowd after Jay Z and Kanye. Racist? Maybe.

narek23
04-18-2011, 07:51 PM
This post only makes me glad I hate Kanye because I'm not associated with someone as retarded as you

Neighborhood Creep
04-18-2011, 07:54 PM
I didn't like Kanye as much as I thought I would. I am a fan of Kanye. I am not racist. I am not a music snob. I actually like Kanye's ego.

Arcade Fire would have been a better Sunday headliner.

JClemy
04-18-2011, 07:59 PM
I liked Kanye. I like Arcade Fire better but I thought he put on a great show. Are you seriously pulling a race card?

narek23
04-18-2011, 08:03 PM
i hate when people dont realize they're closing a festival. 2 downer endings in a row for coachella (kanyes sad mama song and the gorillaz closing song after playing feel good inc).

Arcade Fire wouldv been an AMAZING sunday festival closer

nathanfairchild
04-18-2011, 08:14 PM
No, that's not what I said. But I have heard from a ton of people that Coachella is becoming more and more ethnic and attracting a darker crowd after Jay Z and Kanye. Racist? Maybe.

in all seriousness, can you define racism for me? i don't want the dictionary definition, i want to know what you think racism is defined as.

Alchemist559
04-18-2011, 08:18 PM
What an idiot.

Starraven
04-18-2011, 08:22 PM
There were some white musicians I didn't like either.

http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/6452/pinkbx.jpg

seitron
04-18-2011, 08:24 PM
I don't like Kanye at all and I like him a LOT better than I expected to. Very artistic both musically and visually.

insbordnat
04-18-2011, 08:27 PM
2.) Racism. Coachella is supposed to be for white people! Now you've got other than white people coming here? The festival is ruined!

I should have stopped reading here.

3.) You don't like Kanye's persona/attitude. So what? How does that take away from his music? Practically all of his albums are critically acclaimed masterpieces.

Instead I stopped reading here. Heh.

Vortex
04-18-2011, 08:31 PM
I am none of those things you listed.

I was very much looking forward to his performance, but - to put it simply - I didn't like his performance because it was boring. After such an incredible weekend, it was definitely not the type of ending to the festival I was looking forward to.

fatbastard
04-18-2011, 08:33 PM
Coachella 2011: Kanye West doesn't play it safe as he closes the Indio fest
Comments (34) (95)(55)April 18, 2011 | 6:15 am

Kanye West said little to the audience for much of his festival closing set. There were no grand guest stars that West brought to the Coachella Valley Music & Arts Festival in Indio. There was little in the way of special effects. Accompanying musicians were there, but they were off to the side. Arrogant, forthright and disarmingly open, West's songs unfold like mini-monologues, and this was a high-concept concert as one-man-show.

As theater, West's Coachella set veered toward tragedy, with a song cycle that began with the artist drunk with power, followed him through heartbreak and concluded with a eulogy. As entertainment, West's set was captivating, a festival performance unlike any other, and one that often showcased the artist and the artist alone on a minimal stage. Though rumors of an all-star set were the talk of Coachella, any guests, be it Rihanna or Jay-Z, would have felt crowded in this set-up.

This was not, in short, the kind of set one typically sees from one of the world's biggest stars. West came to Coachella to work, to do away with any sideshows, and instead to get straight down to business. It was a brave statement -- a take-me-or-leave-me-type assertion with a carefully laid-out set list. This was far from playing it safe, as the Strokes had earlier done with a set that was heavy on past hits.

Coachella 2011 in photos: 360 Panoramas | The acts and scene | The faces

Before West appeared, the audience saw what was largely bare stage, although one with a movable staircase that led to a giant painting that echoed Greek mythology. It wasn't there simply to placate West's ego, as he never really got to close to it. Instead, he emerged from the crowd, significantly away from any of his dancers, and stood alone on a crane that slowly led him to the stage.

As for West's back-up dancers, of which there were easily more than 20, they were not used for show-off choreography purposes, and instead served as a Greek chorus, following the star's command, or writhing on the floor from song to song. Sometimes they disappeared from the stage entirely, emerging when the emotions of the songs called for added emphasis.

They moved in fear or panic of West during the tense "Power," and later were seen gripping their heads in pain. By the time the set got to "Runaway," West found himself with a group of wayward ballerinas, seemingly caught in some sort of magnetic push and pull from the artist.

For the first 20 or so minutes, there was no acknowledgement on West's part that he was headlining Coachella. There was no breaking of character as he went from the plea to find faith that is "Jesus Walks" into the forceful "Can't Tell Me Nothing," in which West masked the vulnerability in bravado. The dancers were gone for the song, and it was just West, stalking the front of the stage and putting the audience on defense.

"Monster" went even darker, with West finding redemption only in sex. Indie rock singer/songwriter Justin Vernon, known to many as Bon Iver, stood off in the fog-shrouded distance. If not quite West's conscience, Vernon's verses foreshadowed doom, and the artist's straight, matter-of-fact delivery were not there to pass judgment.

The set's most harrowing moments came via a brief block of songs from "808s and Heartbreak," when West finally broke the wall between artist and audience after "Say You Will," a song in which the backdrops appear to capture the sound of a life-support system. West declared this Coachella performance his "most important" since his mother died and said he had dreamed of performing "Power" on the Coachella stage as he was writing it

West appears to work as if he's always the underdog and is carrying the weight of the world on his shoulders. He said he was humbled to "be able to close the show and see you love me after everything I read and saw on TV said the opposite." He then rewarded the crowd with touches of some of his biggest songs -- "Gold Digger" and "Stronger" among them -- before disappearing under a giant cloth only to reemerge with "Runaway."

West stood stage center, and tapped at a snyth. It was only one note, but it was loud, and it echoed, giving the song an added coldness. This wasn't a happy ending, of course, but it was a resolution of sorts, as the artist found peace only in celebrating his faults. Things got chaotic again, though, with "Lost in the World," in which the backup dancers rushed and moved around the stage as if they were dodging city traffic.

From there, the set went to "Hey Mama," a love letter written to West's late mother. It's a song full of broken promises, and one that closed the set in a similar manner to which it had begun, with West standing alone. Little else was needed.

-- Todd Martens...

Apex17
04-18-2011, 08:41 PM
This post only makes me glad I hate Kanye because I'm not associated with someone as retarded as you

^ this

Bons222000
04-18-2011, 08:43 PM
Kanye Killed at Coachella. He had the best performance, put the most work into his set, played great music, and sounded great for a rapper. Read all of the reviews. It's beyond dispute really, but here are the reasons why people are hating:

1.) Music snobbery. Mostly coming from the hipsters that are here to see obscure bands that no one's ever heard of and think the 'spirit' of Coachella is ruined by having a famous hip-hop artist. Forgetting the fact that Kanye's set was very artistic and not your typical gangbanger hip hop. If anything Kanye deserved to be at Coachella more than Jay Z did.

4.) You don't like Kanye's music. Okay, maybe this might be a little reasonable, so go see another set? You also can't deny the stage presence and the extremely epic show he put on.

5.) No celeb guests? BFD.. get over it. Boo hoo, Kanye performed with only Kanye.. what a travesty.

Get real people. Stop being snobs, racists, or just plain retards. Kanye KILLED IT. OBEY.

Obey? So if we disagree with you about how Kanye's performance was, we are dumb, stupid, racists and you are just plain old right. We all need to just obey? I did not see Kanye's performance because he played vs the Presets who were just overwhelmingly awesome and I could get close. But that doesn't mean I wouldn't have liked to see Kanye.

Since when is Coachella racist? Really? Lauren Hill, Eryka Badu, Kanye West, Caifanes, Wiz Khalifa, Nosaj Thing, TokiMonsta, Cee Lo Green, I could continue but won't. I hate that attitude more than anything. "You don't like Kanye because you are racist." No I don't LOVE Kanye because he is a talented musician but horrible horrible lyricist and I had a conflict I liked better.

Also, this thing about music snobbery. How dumb is that? We don't like the music you do so we are music snobs? Are you making fun of people for liking "intelligent" music? That makes you a hipster? That makes your opinion count less? Because you take your music seriously? Because you don't like rhymes like "too many Erkles on your team that's why your Winslow?" Really?

I felt almost nothing in terms of racism, snobbery, bad vibes, being anti-anything. There are a lot of acts there I don't like because I think their just kind of dumb (Kings of Leon) but if people wanted to see them that's cool. I felt like this was one of the best-vibed Coachella's ever, with as little snobbery as possible, actually.

Don't tell other people what to think.

MissingPerson
04-18-2011, 08:44 PM
Mostly coming from the hipsters that are here to see obscure bands that no one's ever heard of and think the 'spirit' of Coachella is ruined by having a famous hip-hop artist.

Racism. Coachella is supposed to be for white people! Now you've got other than white people coming here? The festival is ruined!

I think you'll find Kanye is cool with hipsters right now as proof they're not racist and can enjoy mainstream things.

nathanfairchild
04-18-2011, 08:45 PM
No I don't LOVE Kanye because he is a talented musician but horrible horrible lyricist and I had a conflict I liked better.

what are you talking about? he'd do anything for a blonde dyke.

Mammoth85
04-18-2011, 08:50 PM

It's supposed to only be for white people? Then maybe they oughta have some sort of check point for other ethnicities at the gates.

Oh well then we seriously need to stop them.

Coachella Bound
i almost threw up during Kanye... i wont knock his set, it is what it is. No guest appearances left me a little confused, but happy that i made the decision to leave his performance really early. He should have headlined fri night, Arcade should have finished off the weekend...

daft$tar
this thread was probably started by kanye

Timestretch
04-18-2011, 08:51 PM
Kayne blew his wad in the first ten minutes. Boring afterward. The Presets KILLED IT!

And I don't cares what journalist write. It doesn't validate your opinion.

Somewhat Damaged
04-18-2011, 09:19 PM
There were some white musicians I didn't like either.

http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/6452/pinkbx.jpg

Homophobe.

greenbored
04-18-2011, 09:24 PM
so happy i left for the presets

david.sound
04-18-2011, 09:26 PM

Dude. Are you still talking?

elbrycen
04-18-2011, 09:27 PM
kele is black too, bro... as are damien marley, wiz khalifa, ms lauryn hill, nas and 12th planet. that being said... kanye's set was fucking awesome.

CrimesceneCookie
04-18-2011, 10:27 PM
I don't like Kanye, but I watched 10 minutes of his set from the food court while I had a pizza break before Presets. I enjoyed the fireworks.

Shooters08
04-18-2011, 10:33 PM
I have a friend that didn't like Kanye before she went and just polluted everyone with her negativity about him. We know where you stand, shut the fuck up about it. Kanye put everything he had into that set and did a hell of a job! Even if you don't like him you should appreciate the job he did as an artist.

FEELS
04-18-2011, 10:33 PM
i disagree with your reasons to why people hated kanye west's set.
but yes, they are pretty fucking stupid if they did.

Tjzoo
04-18-2011, 11:02 PM
Look... im a huge Kanye fan and yes i was rocking close to the stage like i should but... if you were at the glow in the dark tour you would think he would try to top it off being a huge festival... i loved it but left me that little something that would have made it EPIC

braundiggity
04-18-2011, 11:28 PM
if you were at the glow in the dark tour you would think he would try to top it off being a huge festival... i loved it but left me that little something that would have made it EPIC

A 50 foot crane, 30 choreographed ballerinas, three acts, fireworks, sparklers, and every single hit in the books doesn't qualify as epic?

DFrank
04-18-2011, 11:30 PM
Would it have been that hard for Kanye to fly out artists to join him onstage if they were in la? I understand that its Kanye headlining and not "Kanye and friends", but it just sucks that most of his music has collaboraters and its all tracked.

The more i think about it though, his ego wants headlines to read "kanye west ALONE finishes Coachella weekend"

What was that song about "all i need is pussy and religion?" Deep stuff.

DFrank
04-18-2011, 11:31 PM
A 50 foot crane, 30 choreographed ballerinas, three acts, fireworks, sparklers, and every single hit in the books doesn't qualify as epic?

he doesnt do this for every stop of his tour?

elChurro
04-19-2011, 12:03 AM
Did he say "butt fuck" at one point?

LickTheLizzard
04-19-2011, 12:11 AM
the reason kanye sucked is because he didn't live up to Jay-Z last year. it was boring. there is no way he can avoid a comparison to the headlining rapper of the previous year. he will lose this comparison every time. i will admit that i was at the presets during most of kanye's set.... but i made it for his last 4 songs or so (i mean i didn't want people to think i was a racist....amirite?)

boyalien0
04-19-2011, 12:58 AM
Y'all are fuckin' ignorant.

Phantasma Del Mar
04-19-2011, 01:36 AM
More than any other act all weekend, Kanye had the most to prove. Haters gonna hate, but he tore that joint the fuck up.

Riflesmile
04-19-2011, 02:12 AM
This thread is even more boring than Kanyes set.

Elskanminn
04-19-2011, 05:32 AM
It's unfortunate that such epic sets are performed in crowds filled with people who would never appreciate it. Kanye's set was EPIC.. by far one of the greatest performances I've ever seen at Coachella in the 6 times I've been. Actually the only set I can remember that was better was Daft Punk about 5 years ago.

insbordnat
04-19-2011, 06:41 AM
^and it comes full circle.

bustedbusted
04-19-2011, 06:51 AM
hahahaha kanye killed it ?!?!? are you people still drunk???

first 20 mins when he played his old stuff was good ... he had no energy the crowd was not into it at all... people started leaving early as soon as he switched to his wack as fuck autotune which he thinks changed music haha what a joke ... BTW you know you suck when you tell the crowd your gonna sing a song for your dead mom and they boo you and leave ....

kanye epic fail....

Basskitten85
04-19-2011, 06:53 AM
Bottom line: I still hate Kanye

GuyInTucson
04-19-2011, 07:01 AM
Why did the person that started the "kanye killed it" thread have to pull the race card? I agree he was very very good, but you're asking for a negative response when you pull the race card.

By the way people, if a specific person's attitude or core base of fans actually makes you dislike an artist more or less, you are a complete tool.

nathanfairchild
04-19-2011, 07:10 AM
did no one else find the half songs kinda bizarre? i get that there wasn't much he could do on those songs without the guests, so why perform them?

DropletsOfYes&No
04-19-2011, 07:13 AM
The Race Card thing has really got to stop. Look at all the great artist of all nationalities and ethnic backgrounds that have played Coachella. I have been the past 5 years and I am black. You know who I was there to see. PJ Harvey, Arcade Fire, Broken Social Scene, Health, Suede, Cold War Kids, Wiz Khalifa, Off! I loved Bomba Estereo and I never heard them before and it was all in Spanish.What does race have to do with defining my taste in music? Its a stereotype. I am not a Kanye fan and I was watching PJ Harveys set until she finished. I watched Kanye and he did great for what he does it wasnt epic. If people would just put more effort into enjoying the music and not whether people are black, white, American, British, African, Mexican or whatever. One of the smartest things ever said was by rapper MURS on his album 3:16 on the song "And This Is For....." He simply said "Good Music Transcends All Cultural Limits" isnt that what Coachella is about. Its about fun, friends, good music, enjoying a diversity that you might not be exposed to if you live in a niche, think you are some kind of elitist, hipster, or person that has better taste than others or you subscribe to a form of music snobbery that is intolerable to open mindedness. Coachella broke boundaries, racial, cultural, and musical to become the premier musical festival in the U.S. and one of the top ones in the world. Lets continue to have growth and prosperity in that department. Peace. Drops!!

sonicc
04-19-2011, 07:24 AM
For those of you bitching that Kanye didn't bring any guests: on the line-up it said KANYE WEST, not Kanye West & Friends (he did bring Pusha T & Justin Vernon btw).

Clearly it was meant to be an emotional show for him as he played a lot of material from 808 and Heartbreak. All the acts had special emotion placed into it which is hard for a lot of artists to accomplish, you could easily tell Kanye was putting so much effort into the show.

Bravo Kanye, you showed everyone how to put on an epic set & what a way to close the festival.

hydr1
04-19-2011, 08:01 AM
hahahaha kanye killed it ?!?!? are you people still drunk???

first 20 mins when he played his old stuff was good ... he had no energy the crowd was not into it at all... people started leaving early as soon as he switched to his wack as fuck autotune which he thinks changed music haha what a joke ... BTW you know you suck when you tell the crowd your gonna sing a song for your dead mom and they boo you and leave ....

kanye epic fail....

Yeah...the first songs were good...then it got inntoo fuuck with the lights on...downhill to--v

" I just want to apologize for what they sayin boout me in the media. And we still sellin platinum...and we stil got hits on the charts. This ones for my moms."

We left early. But I was loving the first five songs.

OK Calculator
04-19-2011, 08:13 AM

And here I thought it was about music. Silly me. I guess all you morons want is "spectacle".

obzen
04-19-2011, 08:16 AM
^ Hahahaha, this dick bag is on a crusade.

OK Calculator
04-19-2011, 08:17 AM
^ Hahahaha, this dick bag is on a crusade.

And you're my biggest follower.

obzen
04-19-2011, 08:18 AM
::scoff::

Don't flatter yourself.

wstsidela
04-19-2011, 08:19 AM
Kanye killed it. KILLED IT!!! I was very proud of him. People who hate him are not racists, they're ignorant. Big difference.

OK Calculator
04-19-2011, 08:21 AM
::scoff::

Don't flatter yourself.

You're such a hilariously pathetic guy, you know that? You post these weak-ass minimalist responses and then you go in and edit them when no one's looking when you realize how weak-ass they are.

So yeah, this guy added "scoff" to the post a minute after posting it. He's really cool.

SmokinPenguin
04-19-2011, 08:22 AM
It was a great way to close the festival. Most of the people talking shit didn't even see his set in it's entirety. Plus the OP isn't pulling the race card to everyone but to a very very small fraction of people.

TheRotten42
04-19-2011, 08:24 AM
I will say this, I don't care for his music but I will give him props from making it that much easier to leave the parking lot during his set because of everyone who stuck around waiting for him to pull out Daft Punk.

OK Calculator
It was a great way to close the festival. Most of the people talking shit didn't even see his set in it's entirety. Plus the OP isn't pulling the race card to everyone but to a very very small fraction of people.

Oh, my bad. I was unclear who the race card was being pulled at. I need to read up on my race card handbook.

obzen
Your observations are so provocative, please go on...

(I just 'edited' this)

OK Calculator
04-19-2011, 08:27 AM
^Thanks for letting us know. Because, I mean, otherwise we couldn't tell since you have moderator privledges.

obzen
04-19-2011, 08:28 AM
lol, wrong again.

OK Calculator
04-19-2011, 08:29 AM
But that's beside the point. Clearly I'm poking fun at the hypocrisy of thinking that you aren't pulling the race card if you're "only pulling it at a small amount of people". Clearly this is nonsense and worth pointing out.

sonicc
04-19-2011, 08:31 AM
The mother fucker almost cried on stage, Jesus Christ, what the fuck did you guys want?

Just because you don't like his music is another thing, if that's the case then you shouldn't even be making comments at all.

I'm sure if some bullshit 70s/80s performer that should be in a damn wheelchair did the same you'd all be sucking his dick right now. Kanye had the best performance in the entire festival & many music critics are saying in all of Coachella history. The same critics who said he was a shitty obnoxious rapper with no skills whatsoever.

He had a DJ, so what? This is HIP-HOP music not a damn rock-group. If any of you have ever heard a hip-hop artist perform live, they need a live DJ to do the cuts and the drum sampling... Did Tupac or Notorious ever perform with a live band? He kept it old-school with a touch of his new shit. PERFECTION.

obzen
04-19-2011, 08:32 AM
Just because you don't like his music is another thing, if that's the case then you shouldn't even be making comments at all.

*MIND BLOWN*

OK Calculator
04-19-2011, 08:35 AM
The mother fucker almost cried on stage, Jesus Christ, what the fuck did you guys want?

Love Kanye's music. Have all his albums and mixtapes. You were saying?

obzen
04-19-2011, 08:36 AM
Bullshit.

OK Calculator
04-19-2011, 08:38 AM
OH, OK. Right because I can totally prove that to you since you won't take me at face value. Yeah, lets meet up so I can show my muzak kullekshin. Good one obz.

philabuster
04-19-2011, 08:39 AM

I'm sure if some bullshit 70s/80s performer that should be in a damn wheelchair did the same you'd all be sucking his dick right now. Kanye had the best performance in the entire festival & many music critics are saying in all of Coachella history. The same critics who said he was a shitty obnoxious rapper with no skills whatsoever.

He had a DJ, so what? This is HIP-HOP music not a damn rock-group. If any of you have ever heard a hip-hop artist perform live, they need a live DJ to do the cuts and the drum sampling... Did Tupac or Notorious ever perform with a live band? He kept it old-school with a touch of his new shit. PERFECTION.

Agree! I went to Kanye mainly because my kind is a big fan, and he won me over. To command a stage the way he did with little in the way of special effects demonstrated an artist with huge vision and passion.

OK Calculator
04-19-2011, 08:40 AM
Kanye is a musical genius. I strongly believe that. But he's a terrible singer and performer (there's a difference between what he did, just him, and all the shit on stage around him. don't confuse the two).

Braker
04-19-2011, 08:43 AM
Kanye Killed it! nothing else to say or argue about STFU
we all go for art and music, people are people, everyone is different

obzen
04-19-2011, 08:43 AM
Ha, now the subtle transposition...

and it's taken him nearly 2 days to get to this point.

sonicc
04-19-2011, 08:46 AM
Kanye is a musical genius. I strongly believe that. But he's a terrible singer and performer (there's a difference between what he did, just him, and all the shit on stage around him. don't confuse the two).

Kanye West is a RAPPER not a singer. If you want to hear some good singing go listen to someone else. You probably are the one's who bitched at him cause he didn't bring any special guests. ANYONE can bring out a special guest to get the crowd pumped, Kanye accomplished that with just giving his heart out to the crowd. Like I've said in previous posts, PERFECTION.

OK Calculator
04-19-2011, 08:47 AM
Kanye West is a RAPPER not a singer. If you want to hear some good singing go listen to someone else. You probably are the one's who bitched at him cause he didn't bring any special guests. ANYONE can bring out a special guest to get the crowd pumped, Kanye accomplished that with just giving his heart out to the crowd. Like I've said in previous posts, PERFECTION.

808's and Hearbreak? Ever heard of it? Its that album where he SINGS. Now stfu.

shermanoaksyo
04-19-2011, 08:53 AM
Kanye's songs are great, but the show was basically just the roman frieze and the dancers and him rapping over his tracks.

He could have put on a crazy extravaganza full of guests and surprises - instead he chose to make the set a victory lap/valentine to himself. Arcade Fire upstaged him... Ouch.

OK Calculator
04-19-2011, 08:54 AM
^hey look. Someone who isn't on Ye's jock.

obzen
04-19-2011, 08:59 AM
I know, it boggles the mind - what's more is that it only took him one post to convey his thoughts on the matter as opposed to 2 days... in two different theads.

sonicc
04-19-2011, 08:59 AM
808's and Hearbreak? Ever heard of it? Its that album where he SINGS. Now stfu.

Yeah and it's quite arguably his worst album. He knows he cannot sing, he just didn't give a fuck about your opinion nor anyone else's and sang because he was throwing out his emotions at the crowd AKA the yelling & mumbling of "I Love You." Anyways you saw the performance right? If you did and weren't enjoying it then you are an idiot because you had other options, no one forced you to watch Kanye.

End of story.

Cheers!

obzen
04-19-2011, 09:02 AM
KANYE IS A RAPPER BUT HE SANG IN TWO OF HIS LPs THAT MEANS SINGING IS HIS FORTE!!1!

/mouth-breathing

still_lurking
04-19-2011, 09:10 AM

If everyone likes this, then Coachella should close out with Cirque Du Soleil in 2012

nathanfairchild
04-19-2011, 09:28 AM
im not a fan of rap/hip hop in general (with only a couple of exceptions) and i honestly didn't know most of what Kanye played, but i went mainly for the spectacle. he honestly did a good job even though im not crazy about the music, but there was enough going on that just about anyone could've had a good time.

OK Calculator
04-19-2011, 09:46 AM
If everyone likes this, then Coachella should close out with Cirque Du Soleil in 2012

BOOM. This. This says it all. All you kiddies that are going apeshit about how spectacular this performance was...all you're conceding was that it was wildly theatrical. The musical aspect, his voice, his delivery, the accompaniment was either a non-factor or took away from the performance. But of course none of you care. Because he had ballet, and entered on a crane. Circque can do all this better if that's what you so avidly crave. Because CLEARLY. CLEARLY we can all agree that musically, the performance wasn't up to standards.

sonicc
04-19-2011, 09:48 AM

If everyone thought like you did, then we'd all be complete idiots!

nathanfairchild
04-19-2011, 09:49 AM
BOOM. This. This says it all. All you kiddies that are going apeshit about how spectacular this performance was...all you're conceding was that it was wildly theatrical. The musical aspect, his voice, his delivery, the accompaniment was either a non-factor or took away from the performance. But of course none of you care. Because he had ballet, and entered on a crane. Circque can do all this better if that's what you so avidly crave. Because CLEARLY. CLEARLY we can all agree that musically, the performance wasn't up to standards.

why do you care so much? do you really need to have everyone agree with you? WE GET IT! you didn't like his performance. how many more ways do you need to say it?

OK Calculator
04-19-2011, 09:49 AM
If everyone thought like you did, then we'd all be complete idiots!

but you already do, so you already are.

sin213
04-19-2011, 09:50 AM
i am one of the biggest kanye haters out there....but i actually did watch a song or two.

it was the worst thing i've ever heard coming from the main stage...jayz was waaaaaay better than kanye.

GuyInTucson
04-19-2011, 09:52 AM

Ok, in all seriousness, if you really are this big of a Kanye fan, why are you going on and on arguing with people on their opinion of his performance?

You aren't changing anyone's mind and no one is stupid or ignorant for not agreeing with you.

It isn't JUST about the music at Coachella. You are seeing a show. If a hip hop headliner went out there with just a DJ and no other added element to the show, it would be a bore (see: Beastie Boys 2003). When a headliner gets booked at Coachella, they look for ways to awe the crowd. Just because you didn't enjoy it, doesn't mean everyone else is wrong for disagreeing.

sonicc
04-19-2011, 09:52 AM
but you already do, so you already are.

Not really I could have been fine with a spotlight on Kanye and a DJ backing him up.

nathanfairchild
04-19-2011, 09:53 AM
Ok, in all seriousness, if you really are this big of a Kanye fan, why are you going on and on arguing with people on their opinion of his performance?

You aren't changing anyone's mind and no one is stupid or ignorant for not agreeing with you.

It isn't JUST about the music at Coachella. You are seeing a show. If a hip hop headliner went out there with just a DJ and no other added element to the show, it would be a bore (see: Beastie Boys 2003). When a headliner gets booked at Coachella, they look for ways to awe the crowd. Just because you didn't enjoy it, doesn't mean everyone else is wrong for disagreeing.

trolls don't understand logic

sonicc
04-19-2011, 09:54 AM
i am one of the biggest kanye haters out there

That's all you had to say. Your opinion no longer mattered after that.

david.sound
04-19-2011, 10:27 AM
Hey guys. Kanye West sucks.

still_lurking
04-19-2011, 10:34 AM
I'm pretty sure the dude was lip synching too

bludevil007
04-19-2011, 10:37 AM
MBDTF is a great album. Kanye is a mediocre rapper and a horrible singer, but somehow he pulls it all together on his albums - i'll give him credit where credit is due, the man can make a beat too. That performance was absolute shit though. One of the most boring things I've ever watched on the main stage. Each of the Strokes, Arcade Fire, Duran Duran, DFA and the Black Keys put on a main stage "show" (and by that I mean entire experience) that was way better than Yeezy. Kanye should've known he has no stage presence, that's why he needed a giant martian landscape for Glow in the Dark. Hey I watched the whole damn show too, wishing something amazing would happen, but at least I'm not getting on here in denial talking about how it was the greatest set of ALL TIME! If I was Kanye i'd be TYPING SO HARD I'M ABOUT TO BREAK THIS MACBOOK AIR!

fredbull
04-19-2011, 10:42 AM
Jay-Z was better.

Mr. Fuzz
04-19-2011, 10:49 AM
Would it have been that hard for Kanye to fly out artists to join him onstage if they were in la? I understand that its Kanye headlining and not "Kanye and friends", but it just sucks that most of his music has collaboraters and its all tracked.

The more i think about it though, his ego wants headlines to read "kanye west ALONE finishes Coachella weekend"

What was that song about "all i need is pussy and religion?" Deep stuff.

He didn't need to fly out anyone. Katy Perry and Rihanna were in the audience.

bludevil007
04-19-2011, 11:02 AM

Honestly, he's just not good enough to carry those tracks on his own. I mean, could you have imagined So Appalled with RZA and Jay-Z? They kill on that track. Or all of the lights? Kanye is the least appealing part of that song. Monster? Same.

The sad part is that Rihanna and Jay Z were walking around the festival and they still didnt show...

jokerfit
04-19-2011, 11:11 AM

Yooo Broo this isn't stage coach mannnnnn

PenisMuncher
04-19-2011, 12:30 PM
1. Saw Kings of Leon, The Strokes, and Arcade Fire. Kanye still sucked.

2. Saw Leftfield (black guy was singing part of the time), Odd Future, and kind of tried to see Cee Lo, but got bored of waiting an left. Kanye still sucked.

3. When I see someone live, I do it in part to support them and see someone who I think is totally awesome doing something that I think is totally awesome. When I think the person up there is an asshole it is really hard for me to get into their set because I just don't feel like showing them any love. Regardless, Kanye still sucked.

4.) I did see another set. Leftfield/The Presets. Still saw a couple Kanye songs and Kanye still sucked.

5.) Ok, that's actually fair. None of the headliners had guests. But Kanye still sucked.

So in short, Kanye sucked.

Virrago
04-19-2011, 02:06 PM
In a forum with no shortage of competition, this may still be the most mind-numbingly stupid post ever started. You may have had a reasonable premise (you liked Kanye! Hooray!) but you've killed it with your own idiocy.

People could have plenty of reasons for being disappointed in his show that have nothing to do with being racist or "too hipster".

Stop being snobs, racists, or just plain retards.

This has to be intentionally ironic, since if I were to describe you in three words right now they would be: snob, racist, and retarded.

And to somehow validate your point you use Hollywood fucking Insider? Their top story right now is a mostly favorable review of The Fast and the Furious 5. I hope you're just suffering from residual heatstroke and this isn't a permanent condition for you.

Exoskeletal
04-19-2011, 02:43 PM
I thought Kanye did pretty well. His singing didn't sound that great, but he rapped his flows well and had good song selection. Some more guests/more live instruments would've gone a long way in improving his set. But, overall, not bad. Wouldn't call it the greatest Coachella set ever(or really even close, not even in the same stratosphere as Daft Punk '06).

For the record, I am a Kanye fan. I have his whole discography and have liked him since College Dropout.

itsgonrain
04-19-2011, 02:52 PM
Difference between Jay-Z and Kanye? Most people like Jay-Z, he has nothing to prove. People WANT to see Kanye fall on his face, he's always trying to impress everyone, including himself, which may be his biggest fault, that he cares too much about unworthy spectators who shout from the stands, no one is on his level. Kanye did great, bear-hug a cactus if you disagree.

GuyInTucson
04-19-2011, 02:55 PM
Honestly, he's just not good enough to carry those tracks on his own. I mean, could you have imagined So Appalled with RZA and Jay-Z? They kill on that track. Or all of the lights? Kanye is the least appealing part of that song. Monster? Same.

The sad part is that Rihanna and Jay Z were walking around the festival and they still didnt show...

Where was Jay-Z walking around? I know Rihanna was, never heard about Jay.

naruto_kenshin
04-19-2011, 03:08 PM
Would've been better if he had instruments. No headliner should be without this. A lot is lost in not having this. Other than that I thought it was a pretty great performance. I wanted to hear something besides Hey Mama at the end but I think that one was just for him and I felt it.

travelfan
04-19-2011, 03:48 PM
Hmm these threads were a little surprising for me. Of my direct group of four, three of us put this as our top performance, and it was top 5 for the fourth. And then my other group that I hung out with during the festival all gave it rave reviews as well, so I kind of was expecting universal acclaim. I guess that's not the case.

For me, it was amazing. Was it the best performance in terms of musicianship? Maybe not, but it was absolutely my favorite performance, and I think there's a distinction there. I'm not going to try to justify it to those who didn't like it, because fuck that, you either like a certain musical style/song/artist/performance or you don't. I get tired of seeing people have to try to justify their favorites. At the end of the day it's about the emotional resonance that you receive from an artist, and I think it's condescending and elitist to demand a eight page justification for something that, in reality, is often so intangible and personal. But for me, he killed it and I could not have thought of a better way to end the festival.

In terms of guests, unlike most of you I do not think it is inappropriate to question why a hip-hop artist didn't bring guests out instead of, say, The Strokes or Arcade Fire. Hip-hop is unquestionably the most collaborative genre. You don't see Kings of Leon inviting Mumford and Sons and Feist to perform on their albums, and while there is certainly some collaboration in electronic genres it is not anywhere near the extent of collaboration in hip-hop. Nas once said, "My first album had no famous guest appearances / The outcome? I'm crowned the best lyricist", but Illmatic is an outlier...many more classic rap albums are defined by guests, whether they are featured in production, rapping or both.

Kanye is no exception to this...who do you remember most when you think of Get 'Em High? Monster? He is notorious for having some of the best guest appearances out there. In the end however, I really get the feeling that this particular performance meant a lot to Kanye, and for that reason he decided to keep it for himself. I think you have to respect his decision regardless of whether you enjoyed it or not. For me, I have no problem with the lack of appearances, but can easily see why some did. I think Kanye likely spent time weighing those risks and in the end decided that this Coachella experience was for him and his mother. I think the speeches he gave and his choice of a final song reflect that.

In addition, if anybody really thought Daft Punk was going to be there for Stronger, or that Kanye even considered including We Major in the setlist, I'm not sure what to say. I think those were two highly unrealistic hopes (for wildly different reasons) regardless of how awesome it would have been. Kanye was not about to hand over the potential acclaim for his set to a band that he has only sampled and never worked with directly, and We Major is not a major milestone for his career...an incredible song, yes, but to be honest it would have been wildly out of place in that set and the vast majority of people wouldn't even really care (or even know the song). Especially since I don't get any indication that Nas and Kanye are really close, for a milestone performance (once again, in Kanye's mind, not necessarily mine) I don't see him thinking Nas relevant to his career enough to take the spotlight, especially for a song that is not instantly recognizable to the majority of the crowd. Jay-Z is a rapper that made Kanye's career, not Nas. YMMV.

nathanfairchild
04-19-2011, 03:49 PM
*looks around*

guess i'll go first

tldr

Timestretch
04-19-2011, 04:05 PM
See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RmNWvrVIIs&feature=related at 4 minutes into the song. Did Kanye do anything close to this?

bdb23
04-19-2011, 04:51 PM
did kanye keep the masses at the festival thru sunday night... as far as I could tell by the number of people he had. so a few people on a message board really aren't going to change anything. $$$$$$$$$$$$ > message board chatter. like it or not. if you all wanted to make a change you should have organized a movement to bounce out early. had you successfully pulled this off with a significant amount of people, forcing coachella to lose $$$$ on concsessions combined with the bad publicity of such a stunt you would have changed how they approach headliners in the future. this won't do it. but it is cute.

bdb23
04-19-2011, 04:53 PM
See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RmNWvrVIIs&feature=related at 4 minutes into the song. Did Kanye do anything close to this?

how many people were there? more than KoL by the looks of it, but not more than Kanye.

bdb23
04-19-2011, 04:56 PM
Would've been better if he had instruments. No headliner should be without this. A lot is lost in not having this. Other than that I thought it was a pretty great performance. I wanted to hear something besides Hey Mama at the end but I think that one was just for him and I felt it.

There were instruments on stage. How many did Jay-Z play? Hip-Hop. Accept it.

Geno_g
04-19-2011, 04:58 PM
Saw three songs, sounded like garbage, went over to the Presets and they killed it...

bdb23
04-19-2011, 04:59 PM

Got your hopes up a little with special guests huh? You act like Kanye can force Jay-Z to perform with him, how do you know he didn't ask him and he said no? He had a couple guests anyways. How many special guests did Arcade Fire have?

MissingPerson
04-19-2011, 05:01 PM
Roughly 2,000.

bdb23
04-19-2011, 05:01 PM
He didn't need to fly out anyone. Katy Perry and Rihanna were in the audience.

Do you guys know for a fact he Didn't ask them to perform with him? They have the ability to say "no" you realize?

Mikey Lion
04-19-2011, 05:09 PM
Do you guys know for a fact he Didn't ask them to perform with him? They have the ability to say "no" you realize?

Like Jay-Z would say no after crushing the main stage last year...I think not.

gmoneyak
04-19-2011, 05:12 PM
Kanye was mediocre with a bunch of fireworks.

End review.

bdb23
04-20-2011, 01:37 PM
Like Jay-Z would say no after crushing the main stage last year...I think not.

Oh okay. You're under the impression that Jay-Z is at a point in his career where he is only concerned with "crushing stages"... I understand now.

spellarigo
04-20-2011, 01:53 PM
Kanye made me want to rip my ears off every time he opened his mouth

Mucho Maas
04-20-2011, 01:56 PM
everyone stop calling kanye's set rap or hip-hop

that was pop music.

Miroir Noir
04-20-2011, 01:58 PM
There were instruments on stage. How many did Jay-Z play? Hip-Hop. Accept it.

This response sort of misses the point of the critique which is namely that Jay-Z had a wrecking crew of a live band at his disposal, which made his sound pretty excellent. That may be coming from a rockist prejudice that is unfair to the traditions of live hip hop, but I loved Jay's set last year in large part because of what his band did for the songs live. My biggest complaint about Kanye's set was that it started to get boring hearing him rap over a bunch of recorded samples and vocal hooks.

gmoneyak
04-20-2011, 02:07 PM
I just wish Kanye would've ran ALL THE WAY with his theatrical theme. Have a couple moments of theather interwoven between songs, (small skits or scenes from a play), and break out a full orchestra for "Flashing Lights". That would've been pretty sweet..

Newro7ic
04-20-2011, 02:38 PM
I'm a Kanye fan and thought he opened great. Lots of energy, a huge party. Then, it just became boring and almost draining. It's a long weekend, and he didn't keep up the momentum he started with. I don't necessarily think it was a problem with song selection, but more with the order in which he played them.

It just started to drag. We were on our way out when it sounded like the set started to pick up again, but he had already lost us at that point (and many others judging by the number of people walking out with us). Just by reading this thread, some people loved it, some people were okay with it, others hated it. They can all be put in their respective groups (obsessive fanboys, realists, haters). Not really different from any other Coachella, or act this year (ie the Strokes).

I would tell you all to calm down and just revel in the great weekend we had, but this is the Coachella board, so this whole post is just a waste of time.

suprefan
04-20-2011, 03:13 PM
Top 3 all time coachella sets for me. End of story...

Miroir Noir
04-20-2011, 03:17 PM
It didn't break the top two only because there have been at least two Coachella sets involving Thom Yorke's participation.

TheGhostInYou
04-20-2011, 03:47 PM
I wandered towards the main stage during his opener when I saw the amazing scale of his show, but walked away as soon as I heard how terrible his flow was. I went back to check out his last couple of songs and they didn't seem much better. His set seemed impressive from a production standpoint, but a lot of his songs are kind of weak and his voice was a huge let down

malcolmjamalawesome
04-20-2011, 06:10 PM
27QGJf8EtFA

malcolmjamalawesome
04-20-2011, 06:24 PM
I liked that Kanye made Bon Iverz wear an all white suit. His other options were a cracker costume and a dunce hat with a shirt that said "HONKY".

Failed State
04-20-2011, 08:32 PM
I am coming out of retirement to say that me hating Kayne West has nothing to do with me being a racist. It is my love for burning crosses and eating at Woolworth's Diner that makes me a racist.

You sir need to check yo self b4 U wreck yo self.

PJandBompton
04-20-2011, 09:12 PM
i just feel like Kanye didn't give his all into preparation for Coach...he was obviously out of shape, and it effected his performance. if/when he goes out on tour, go see him and you won't have any complaints.

sheedw
04-21-2011, 10:23 AM
it was a great performance, better than the last time I saw him which was the first leg of the glow in the dark tour. Also to all the idiots critiquing his lyrics, I know you dont listen to rap. Kanye has never been a great lyricist, his strength lies in his ear for beats. If you dont listen to rap stop commenting.

foaminjectedaxlrose
04-21-2011, 10:42 AM
I'm a Kanye fan and thought he opened great. Lots of energy, a huge party. Then, it just became boring and almost draining. It's a long weekend, and he didn't keep up the momentum he started with.

This. Also, there were sound issues from where I was standing. Drums weren't loud enough to keep people dancing. And he was out of time in several different places. I understand that established artists still make mistakes, but I couldn't help but leave a little disappointed

fnmore
04-21-2011, 09:49 PM
here u can watch the first 1/3 of the show

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MA2jyRBgalM

I like the fact that he did not rely on tons of effects and dance routines, which I guess would bore the average pothead at Coachella. There were a few sound issues and, yeah - he probably should have used Autotune for the 808's material but clearly he gave 110% if not more.

he needs to play fewer festivals in my opinion because that is where his haters are, as you can tell by all the ignorant comments on this message board

fnmore
04-21-2011, 09:50 PM
oh....here is the next part

http://www.youtube.com/user/wemajorhomie#p/a/u/0/cKr2F3BzSoQ

trentmorrison
04-22-2011, 02:02 AM
i didn't know talking fast over pre-recorded music made by other people is "killing it"

Riflesmile
04-22-2011, 03:08 AM
When are we going to get a thread about how Cee-Lo got his set cut short for being black?