PDA

View Full Version : Post your SUNDAY reviews here

TomAz
04-18-2011, 03:38 PM
Man I was draggin. I didn't get going til later than usual and didn't make it in til like 1:45. I caught the last 15 minutes of Menomena. I just know a couple of their songs and I was impressed by what I heard Sunday -- I think I liked the 15 minutes better than the songs I know. More research to be done.

Delorean was really cool, sort of dancy new wave with more than a little of an 80s sound. But, unlike most bands that play that kind of music, there wasn't an ounce of cheesiness to their music. No cheese whatsoever. 100% cheese free. I think this is why I liked them better than most of their peers.

But I was still kinda draggin. I was tired. Sat on the ground with some board folks and just chatted waiting for OFF!

..who totally blew the cobwebs out of what was left of my sluggish brain. They were really great, a real highlight. Not much of a crowd at all, but you know, the real legends hardly ever attract much of a crowd. Roky Erickson played to a half-full Gobi in 07, and now Keith Morris -- one of the real founders of what we now know as American indie music -- singer for Black Flag when they first broke (pre-Rollins), singer for the Circle Jerks -- was playing to maybe 200 people. You fucking kids, what do you know. You don't know shit. In 20 years you're gonna be commemorating the pioneers of spirit hoods or something. That'll be something to be proud of.

Killed time in the beer garden with Sean and Brandon before HEALTH. HEALTH were ok. They opened with their most abrasive stuff and it was on a different plane than my chakras at that time so I left.

I think this was about when I went into the Creators Project tent and watched these little robots dance.

DFA79 were ok. I kind of got bored. I should have gone to something else I think.

But I wandered over to the National who put on one of the best sets of the weekend that I saw. I just sang along and didn't give a shit. Well, actually I asked John and Tiffany if it was bothering them (it wasn't), so I guess I did give a shit. The National are so good, so powerful, with such great songs, I don't understand why they're not more popular than they are. They should be winning Grammys, not AF.

Rushed out of the National to catch the end of Lightning Bolt. they started late so I got a good 30 mins of their stuff. They are very aptly named.. watching them was grabbing hold of bare 110v electrical wiring and holding on and not letting go. Wow. really great.

The Strokes seemed like tame little pussycats after that, but that was fine. Caught half their set in the beer garden with Chris (JelloPuddingChat) and then the second half toward the back of the crowd.

After the Strokes I went to investigate Leftfield, who were pretty good. I mean that's not really my genre, but they were ok by me.

I wandered toward the Sahara but felt out of place without a stuffed teddy bear on my head, so I went to the Mojave beer garden instead. I sat and drank alone and mentally composed the outlines of an essay of the power of music and living a full enriched life. I'm pretty sure I won't write it.

The end.

obzen
04-18-2011, 03:42 PM
I sat and drank alone and mentally composed the outlines of an essay of the power of music and living a full enriched life. I'm pretty sure I won't write it.

The end.

lol, epic.

stinkbutt
04-18-2011, 03:47 PM
Tom wins

JelloPuddingChat
04-18-2011, 03:51 PM
Note to self: Buy Tom a teddy bear hat.

york707
04-19-2011, 04:28 PM
bump for people to add their reviews

fatbastard
04-20-2011, 06:53 PM

Phosphorescent-8
Plan B-8
Delorean-7
Off!-7
Angus and Julia Stone-7
Jack Beats-6
Sven Vath-8
Death From Above 1979-10
Duran Duran-8
The Strokes-6
PJ Harvey-8
Kanye West-9

Miroir Noir
04-20-2011, 07:58 PM
Tom, after reading this, I am convinced that I have to meet you next year.

Dede' Arneaux
05-05-2011, 04:13 PM
Sunday 17th April

* 1pm Gobi: Plan B. I first heard 'Stay Too Long' about a year ago and instantly loved it. The Defamation of Strickland Banks is a cracking album and won a Brit award. He's got a high billing at UK festivals this year, so to see him in the Gobi this early in the day was always gonna be special. We weren't disappointed. We were treated to a human beatbox rapper to introduce the band who were all in suits and ties and we got a bit worried about the skinny guitarist who was using his inhaler after a couple of songs later walked side stage to pour a bottle of water over his head. Ben Drew wasn't happy about the monitors after a few early squeals of feedback however it didn't damped his sharp, wicked tongued delivery. After throwing himself at each band member in turn the last song degenerated into a human pile up - great entertainment.Top songs were 'She Said' and 'Stay Too Long'.

http://i53.tinypic.com/2v3fton.jpg

* 3:50 Gobi: Angus & Julia Stone. My research had highlighted 'Big Jet Plane' as a real favourite and possible Coachella highlight. It's a languid, laid back song that reminds me of The Carpenters had they been on Marijuana. Come to think of it - if they had KC might have eaten more. The bastards didn't play it. The brother and sister looked like your stereotypical summer of love hippy couple and the songs they did play were unimpressive. I didn't like her drippy student voice or for that matter the beads and flowers in her hair. Disappointed.

* 4:50 Outdoor: Jimmy Eat World. I'd heard these guys described as like Foo Fighters without the ex Nirvana member. I reckon the singers voice is just a little clean for the music they play but I really enjoyed their set. Heavy guitars and sing along lyrics. Top song - 'My Best Theory'.

http://i54.tinypic.com/2ue65bd.jpg

* Conflicts #1 & #2. Death From Above 1979 (Reformed Heavy noisemerchants) or Best Coast (Debut album Summersonic Beach Boys) or Tinie Tempah (The darling of UK Hip Hop). The new bands would aways win the day, but we compromised our american bands first principle due to the hype back home surrounding Tinie Tempah.

* 6:00 Gobi: Tinie Tempah. He went on late and we were worried that the set might be curtailed. It wasn't, but then he was only scheduled to play 30mins. Loved it loved it loved it. Great beats, great energy and rapid fire rap. Confidence is not a problem for this guy and his performance justified every drop of it. At one point he asked the crowd to crouch low and the entire Gobi complied before bursting into a bouncy on command. Great gig. Top songs: 'Wonderman' & 'Written in the Stars' for which Ellie Goulding, who preceded TT on the Gobi stage, made an appearance. A minor highlight was seeing The Hoff getting a reprimand form security for attempting to crowd surf.

http://i52.tinypic.com/21on1u0.jpg

* Conflict #3 The National or Trentemoller. Scandinavian curiosity unfortunately had to take second place for the band that has been growing on me like a developing suntan since the line up was announced

* 7:25 Outdoor: The National. They didn't play my favourite 'Mistaken For Strangers' but that is the only minor gripe I could possibly have, everything else about the set was perfect. Great melodies, powerful, controlled music at Sunset on the Outdoor stage and a full Moon in the eastern sky opposite the mountain backdrop. Did I say earlier this is Heaven's music festival? The National play with a restraint and confidence that comes from maturity. They are modest anti-heroes. No requirement for excessive chat and the singer's a beardy. The music says it all. Top songs: 'Brainy', 'England', Anyone's Ghost', Bloodbuzz Ohio', 'Fake Empire' & 'Afraid of Anyone'. Just got tickets for the gig in Edinburgh in August - delighted we'll get to hear a full set rather than just 50 mins.

* 8.55 Main Stage: The Strokes. We managed to ignore the fat boy four (Duran Duran) as we made our way to take up the same front section position we'd had for Kings Of Leon. I didn't know an awful lot of The Strokes' material before research began but I was looking forward to this one having enjoyed their set (on TV) at Isle of Wight last summer. They were more talented musicians and more 'pop' than I expected which was probably something a bit less organised and punkier. Tight bass & drums underpinned their signature guitar sound and Julian C's distorted vocal. Distinctive driving rock that never got samey or boring. The new album was reviewed as a return to form and I expect this gig was too. Visuals were great - 3 huge white draped chevrons on both sides of the stage focused the band and captured the light show. Highlights - 'Reptilia', 'Juicebox', 'Last Nite' & 'New York City Cops'.

http://i54.tinypic.com/5fgj6a.jpg

* 10.30 Main Stage: Kanye West. I couldn't tell you the name of a single Kanye song. No research completed, no expectations, this was an experiment in forming an opinion from one show - what's Kanye all about? 2 and a half hours later I wasn't really sure. 2 and a half weeks later I'm no further forward and have lost interest. As showtime approached the whisper was that Kanye was sitting with his back to the barrier opposite us with a hooded top on prior to his appearance on what looked like a raised walkway. That cant be him ... he's wearing gear that I would wear to nip down to the shops for a pint of milk. Sure enough he pulled his hood down and proceeded to mount the end of the walkway which rose into the sky and circled 360 degrees as he sung 'Can we get much higher?' (Dark Fantasy). A massive grey backdrop depicting romanesque sculptures filled the rear of the empty stage, save for banks of keyboards on one side and decks and a laptop on the other. The music: Rapped verses, lots of grandiose strings and orchestral dramatics that sounded almost operatic - Hip Hopera. Choruses seemed to revert to the style of 80's ballads (e.g. Dark Fantasy) whereupon Kanye ceased rapping and started trying to sing. Dear oh dear, he can rap but he most certainly cannot sing and he made this point clear over and over again. I didn't hate it but by Act 3 I was anticipating the end. The final song put the tin lid on it. By this time I'd been told the story of his mum. I thought it extremely self indulgent and arrogant to use the final song on the final night at Coachella to send a boring message to his deceased mum. If this was rap I prefer Eminem, if this was hip hop I prefer Tinie Tempah. It just wasn't that entertaining, the dancers hired from Caesar's Palace were a distraction rather than a treat. Glad I saw him but I wont spending on his back catalogue.

http://i52.tinypic.com/2me3lm8.jpg

Milky
05-05-2011, 10:06 PM
Eliza Doolittle - 1/5 - didn't enjoy her set at all, I only wanted shade. Can't believe she covered Runaway. That was awful.

Menomena - 3/5 - saw them back home in Feb and they were much better. Not to say this performance was bad, it just could have been better. Their song selection was great though!

Jack's Mannequin - 1/5 - was just sitting in the bar area, was having conversations with my mates and not really concentrating on the music. But as background music it was awful.

Wiz Khalifa/City and Colour - 2/5 - we were moving back and forward between the two in the drinking area. Wiz sounded awful and it was clear everybody was there just for Black and Yellow. Dallas was alright, but really didn't suit the outdoor, would have been better in a tent... or a pub.

HEALTH - 4/5 - I was laying down at the back for all of this. I was disappointed in myself for not making more of an effort, they sounded awesome and what I could see looked incredible too. God damn tiredness.

DFA 1979 - 4/5 - those down the front knew how awesome this was, the crowd really made this. Whilst DFA lacked energy, the crazy crowd made up for it. It was awesome.

The National - 3.5/5 - a bit like Menomena in that I saw them play a longer and much better set earlier this year. They were still amazing though, they had great sound and played some surprising songs. Good set.

Lightning Bolt - 4/5 - didn't know what to expect here, but I fucking loved it.

Phantogram - 5/5 - maybe I am being bias, I was waiting all weekend for this set and to me it was perfect. Their energy was great and the songs that I've been playing religiously for a year sounded perfect live.

Kanye West - 3.5/5 - it was good and bad. It was good that it was about him and not his guests, it made the music and performance seem more important. It was bad because it could of been so much more and some of the song selections were questionable. Hey Mama is a great song, but as a closer? Hmm a bit of downer to end the festival on.

Bons222000
05-06-2011, 05:41 PM
Trentemoller, Ratatat, and the Presets were my favorites on Sunday. Amazing 3 acts. Honestly, I feel bad for anyone who missed Trentemoller.

nbvcide
05-19-2011, 11:59 PM
Caspa - 8
Jack Beats -8
Nas & Damian Marley - 6
DFA1979 - 6
Duran Duran - 6
Trentemoller - 9
Duck Sauce - 4
Chase & Status - 9
Death Crew '77 - 6
Leftfield - 9
Kanye West - 7

baily
05-20-2011, 09:13 AM
Gogol Bordello - Great set - lots of fun...played all their big songs. Took my brother to see them for his first time....he was digging it...he left a fan.

One Day as a Lion - What can you say other than WOW!!! Can't believe they weren't on the side stage...the could eventually headline.

Flogging Molly - Tight music - clean - they had a blast - lots of mosh pits going on which allowed us to move closer every time one broke out we moved forward.

Black Keys - great - even better live than I thought they'd be

geare213
05-20-2011, 10:55 AM
one day as a lion was good, but you couldn't hear a word they zach was saying. ruined it for me cuz it would have been a top show of the weekend for me

Bons222000
05-20-2011, 04:18 PM
One Day as a Lion played Saturday

nbvcide
05-21-2011, 09:39 AM
Gogol Bordello - Great set - lots of fun...played all their big songs. Took my brother to see them for his first time....he was digging it...he left a fan.

One Day as a Lion - What can you say other than WOW!!! Can't believe they weren't on the side stage...the could eventually headline.

Flogging Molly - Tight music - clean - they had a blast - lots of mosh pits going on which allowed us to move closer every time one broke out we moved forward.

Black Keys - great - even better live than I thought they'd be

none of these played sunday..

fatbastard
05-21-2011, 09:44 AM
I gotta ask nbvcide, you seemed to mark everything on the low side on all 3 days. Any other factor going on that weekend or just not happy about the lineup?

zircona1
05-21-2011, 06:39 PM
First off, let me say I was very happy that the four acts I feared would conflict with each other - DFA1979/Duran Duran/Leftfield/Kanye - did not.

Twin Shadow - Not my thing. Left early.

Menomena - What I saw didn't impress me.

Delorean - Sounded good in the tent. Their music was perfect for a sunny day.

OFF! - One of the best of the whole fest. They fucking rocked. I was off to the side on the rail, got to watch the pit kick up a bunch of dust. Keith's stage banter was hilarious as well.

Ellie Goulding - Not interesting. Left after 2 songs.

Death From Above 1979 - Their set probably would've worked better inside one of the tents, but they still put on a solid show. A bunch of people were going crazy behind where I was, but they didn't really push or anything.

Duran Duran - Delivered a crowd-pleasing set of hits and new material. I had never seen them before, the band sounded great. There was a guy on the left side who taped the whole thing by holding his camera up - he'd switch arms if one got tired - that annoyed me. Ugh.

Leftfield - A very good set that got the smallish crowd moving. It was cool to hear 'Afrika Shox', one of my favorite songs, but I think I prefer the recorded version. 'Afro-Left' was awesome though.

Kanye - I thought he did a great job, just him up there on stage throwing out hit after hit. The 'third act' was a bit sluggish, though, I left during the last song.

nbvcide
05-22-2011, 12:31 PM
I gotta ask nbvcide, you seemed to mark everything on the low side on all 3 days. Any other factor going on that weekend or just not happy about the lineup?

really? nearly everything was between 5-9, i wouldn't say that's the low side.. and my 1-10 scale is coachella all-time, amongst every year i went.. this year had a lot of 9's for me, and almost nothing that was 'bad'. i loved the lineup, better than last year's even. an there are a lot of factors that go into my ranking, for instance, the ONLY reason Leftfield got a 9 instead of a 10 is because i didn't catch the entire set, some acts i ranked low, such as DFA or Duran, were because i wasn't down front, i was in the back walking around, and that considerably effects the experience. it's also a ranking of how much fun i had, not just technical skill of the act. i've been to a LOT of festivals, most sets would get 4s, 5's, and 6's.. Coachella has mostly 8's and 9's. i only see a couple 10's a year, but they make the festival. and it's not always the talked about acts, or even the acts you're most looking forward to, every year some acts i look forward to disappoint, and ones i didn't care about blew me away. that's coachella. there were only a couple dozen of us in the Gobi at midnight for Scala, but it was amazing.

jmaze
05-22-2011, 06:18 PM
Sven Vath's 2 hour sunset set was the fucking bomb. The fact he uses actual records and not cd's made the analog sound so good on that system. 10!

gorezilla
05-25-2011, 10:29 PM
Green Velvet: had a great time here, it was funny watching him dance- 8

Caspa: saw like 20min- 7

Jack Beats: soo much BASS!!- 8.5

Nas & Damian Marley: i didn't expect to watch them, pretty cool though- 8

Death From Above 1979: Lets see, my sandals ripped, i got thrown to the ground, kicked in the face, i obtained blood remains on the back of my shirt, i ended up soaked in sweat... it was fucking AMAZING!!!! its a dream come true, i can now die happy- 10

Trentemoller: sick as fuck, great set, i had fun- 10

Lightning Bolt: lots of energy, they were dope- 8.5

Phantogram: they were simply amazing, Sarah stole my heart, she was beautiful, great great set, very emotional- 10

Bloody Beetroots Death Crew 77- pretty cool i guess, not what i expected-6.5

Kanye West- did a pretty good job up there, but i left- 7.5

The Presets- really cool, danced alot- 9