PDA

View Full Version : Biggest Disapointment?

CoaChris
04-18-2011, 02:31 PM
I had a great time and enjoyed so many amazing shows, but my one disappointment was Angus and Julia Stone not playing "Big Jet Plane".

What was your biggest let down/disappointment of the festival?

CiderMouseRules
04-18-2011, 02:32 PM
Wire.

Allegedly their show at The Echoplex a couple years ago was incredible. They really phoned it in.

GuyInTucson
04-18-2011, 02:33 PM
Odd Future's set and Cee Lo. Kind of crazy they conflicted only to both disappoint. That's what Cee Lo gets for breaking out a fucking Journey song.

Skull08
04-18-2011, 02:49 PM
Cee-Lo, for being late, complaining about his time slot, singing like he was not at all into it and just being an asshole to his band leaving them on stage playing a shit Journey song

GolfWang
04-18-2011, 02:53 PM
Kanye
Wire

Maybe Odd Future too, but I had a feeling it might suck in that setting.

pachucasunrise
KANYE. Holy fuck, that was embarrassing.

Risingson
Animal Collective! I was so excited to se them. None of my friends wanted to go, so I was solo. Even with plenty help from my other friends I couldn't get into their set. I tried though, stayed for 5 of their "songs". Wish I would have left earlier.

brycerosen
04-18-2011, 02:54 PM
cee lo, which is a shame becuase ive seen him before and he can be sooo good.

odd future, sound like fuck fuck bitch jibberish

grichsgang
04-18-2011, 02:58 PM
That it's over and I'm working today.

zikade
04-18-2011, 03:01 PM
ODD FUTURE. "fuck fuck bitch jibberish" Exactly. And I sat through Skrillex for that shit. What a waste.

Brochella
04-18-2011, 03:07 PM
The Chems getting a short set
Odd Future, with vibes so bad you could smell them
Skrillex - worst possible way to start off the weekend. fix your fucking laptop, asshole!
Animal Collective, yikes

woogie846
04-18-2011, 03:43 PM
Animal Collective, which is a shame since the other times I've seen them they've been incredible.

nbvcide
04-18-2011, 03:47 PM
scala getting an awful set time (sound bleeding from every stage was expected, and midnite was very intimate, but had this been at 3 or 4pm it would have been in a packed tent), watching empire of the sun instead of watching all of animal collective.. and skipping most of leftfield for beetroots live (yeah, i said it).. GV letting main and sahara go past curfew every night (and outdoor on friday) yet made daedelus stop at 1258 even though his set started 20min late due to tech probs. oh, and the sound bleed from the energy factory is worse than the do lab ever was..

blackchango
04-18-2011, 03:58 PM
Odd Future

irthesteve
04-18-2011, 04:08 PM
Animal Collective

wscmx13
04-18-2011, 04:21 PM
Animal Collective, hands down.

Mucho Maas
04-18-2011, 04:25 PM
animal collective was one of the most engaging sets i saw. i loved it. more importantly, i love that most of you hated it.

odd future. but i wasn't really expecting much.

PassiveTheory
04-18-2011, 04:29 PM
The Strokes, I guess, but even they had their moments.

TheScenestar
04-18-2011, 04:41 PM
Not running into Guedita during Sweaty Sahara Sunday.

Mr.Trent
04-18-2011, 04:45 PM
chems' big screen fiasco. I had seriously high expectations, but glad they managed to play something

sassypants
04-18-2011, 04:49 PM
Warpaint. They sang off key and I left after 2 songs.
Chem Bros - too tired to wait around for their set.

MagneticField
04-18-2011, 04:51 PM
Everyone who is calling Animal Collective a disappointment was obviously sober. Those who weren't got one of the best psychedelic experiences of their lives.
Sorry you missed it.

sonnyboy11
04-18-2011, 05:10 PM
#1 Chems running late- I got through a bit of Galvanize and was scraping bottom hard by that point so I left. I knew theyd' get short-shifted too with the late start. A real shame. Glad I have seen them several times before.

#2 Animal Collective- really wanted to love their set but did not.

#3 One Day As a Lion - poor mix and not a memorable song in there from the five or so I heard.

gaypalmsprings
04-18-2011, 05:12 PM
ODD FUTURE. "fuck fuck bitch jibberish" Exactly. And I sat through Skrillex for that shit. What a waste.

You were warned about Skrillex. I saw the fight ODD FUTURE had with security. I bet is was better than their stage performance.

Memorial_07
04-18-2011, 05:14 PM
Probably Broken Social Scene. Probably the most boring band I saw all weekend. Except I'll admit I was extremely happy they played Anthems.

citizenerased
04-18-2011, 05:17 PM
Odd Future, Delorean

fatbastard
04-18-2011, 05:18 PM
There's nothing Coachella related to do tonight. Someone open the Henry Fonda and let people get in for free with their wristbands to hear the do lab and view video screens of performance highlights and Mike's photos.

nathanfairchild
04-18-2011, 05:47 PM
that artists that deserved the sahara didn't get to play in it, while shitfucks like skrillex got to perform there

eimie
04-18-2011, 05:53 PM
^^^ Word. All the hella cool talented DJs were put in the tiny Oasis Dome, while Sahara had the same old shit going on and was just a place for all the Coachella low-lifes to congregate. The best dance sets were in the Mojave.

thenoiboi
04-18-2011, 05:54 PM
city and colour not playing 'coming home'. kanye not doing 'we major', with or without nas. the black keys' sound being weird (their performance was still great). brandt brauer frick without the ensemble.

brycerosen
04-18-2011, 05:57 PM
^^^ Word. All the hella cool talented DJs were put in the tiny Oasis Dome, while Sahara had the same old shit going on and was just a place for all the Coachella low-lifes to congregate. The best dance sets were in the Mojave.

I truly felt the Oasis Dome/ Do Lab and even the Energy factory were throwing down cooler music than the sahara a lot of the time

travelfan
04-18-2011, 07:19 PM
Odd Future, but to be honest I expected them to suck live. Delorean was more heartbreaking because I thought they'd be amazing and dragged all my friends there, but we left after about two songs...they were just terrible, off key vocals and out of synch musicianship.

But literally other than that every other set I saw was phenomenal. This was just a fantastic weekend.

sithlord
04-18-2011, 07:26 PM
Wire was disappointing. Too old to rock and/or roll, suppose.

CEE LO was a trainwreck, also.

desire
04-18-2011, 07:33 PM
Sahara tent face fuking palm. Oasis dome was shit!

dilfpot
04-18-2011, 07:35 PM
Animal Collective was amazing, if you've seen them before you should know that they play 75% new material. That's how they introduce their music.

misterpickles
04-18-2011, 07:38 PM
odd future.. meh to the max

Jman4321
04-18-2011, 07:45 PM
Yeah, I was let down by Odd Future as well, and not for lack of knowing the material. I just found myself not caring at all.

Fig Neutron
04-18-2011, 08:25 PM
The Drums. The singer just seemed like a douche and I didn't care for his singing style live.

Cee Lo's tardiness, song selection, and Journey bull shit.

That's about it for the entire weekend. Not much in terms of disappointment.

Bons222000
04-18-2011, 08:49 PM
The Sahara overall was the biggest. Not a ton of talent there this year and I really felt some of the sets lacked.

Biggest artist disappointment was probably Magnetic Man. Just did not feel it from the beginning, left after about 10 minutes.

menikmati
04-18-2011, 08:50 PM
The hanging light structure in the sahara...they didn't even use it for the biggest acts each night, wtf?

livethechoice
04-18-2011, 08:57 PM
The Aquabats getting cut short.

brematale111
04-18-2011, 08:58 PM
the morning benders.

Coachella Bound
04-18-2011, 09:05 PM
Duck Sauce... aside from sneaking in my 5 foot inflatable duck, i let it loose early on in the set and got the fuck outa there.

Kanye also let me down big time, ive completely given up on him.

aphrael
04-18-2011, 09:06 PM
scala getting an awful set time (sound bleeding from every stage was expected, and midnite was very intimate, but had this been at 3 or 4pm it would have been in a packed tent)

I think the thinking was that an intimate set to close the night would be atmospherically awesome. I'd been expecting them around sundown, but I can see the thinking, and I think that even with the sound bleed it turned out really well.

SP The Ghost
04-18-2011, 09:08 PM
A Trak and Odd Future. I also thought Magnetic Man was a bit of a let down and wish I could've seen Beardyman instead.

milos57
04-18-2011, 09:10 PM
I loved Cold Cave's synth work but those experimental feedback interludes were so obnoxious and gratuitous. Really brought down what was otherwise a fine set.

Also caught Ariel Pink's meltdown. Very lame.

I endured the last fifteen minutes of Freelance Whales in order to get a good spot for Foals. Good god, they were awful. (It was worth it for Foals, though.)

The Radio Dept. was sinfully boring. I left after four songs.

Overall, not too many disappointments. Most of the acts I saw were absolutely smashing. Probably the strongest musical year I've attended.

grain
04-18-2011, 09:21 PM
lauryn hill was a disappointment. none of her songs captured the essence of the recordings. felt like she wasn't herself.

i loved animal collective!

boyalien0
04-18-2011, 09:37 PM
I didn't really have a disappointment this weekend. Animal Collective were amazing and OFWGKTA were great. haters suck it.

blueduck
04-18-2011, 09:48 PM
odd future
kanye west

lyysander
04-18-2011, 09:55 PM
Overall I wasn't really disappointed in anyone. But, I thought The Strokes should have played more of their older stuff. And Animal Collective should have played something off of Strawberry Jam.

wewantmuse
04-18-2011, 10:33 PM
Cold Cave. AWFUL. Lead singer acted as if he would've rather been anywhere else in the world.

Animal Collective. High expectations, but I didn't get it at all.

Shooters08
04-18-2011, 10:35 PM
I truly felt the Oasis Dome/ Do Lab and even the Energy factory were throwing down cooler music than the sahara a lot of the time

One dj in the energy factory played a Barbara Streisand remix as Duck Sauce went on. Really?! That person should never be allowed to touch another record.

FEELS
04-18-2011, 10:37 PM
god i hate seeing the Odd Future comments

but anyways
Animal Collective

nathanfairchild
04-18-2011, 10:38 PM
wasn't there to see it, but korn being on the polo fields is automatic fail

Gundam
04-18-2011, 10:41 PM

same. I saw Guedita walk out of the tent.

Natelevmofuggaz
04-18-2011, 10:42 PM
Animal Collective was probably my favorite set of the weekend, whatchu guys talkin bout?

Mine was definitely Mount Kimbie. They went on 50 minutes late and caused me to miss the beginning of Tame Impala. They were one of my favorite artists on the line-up.

thenoiboi
04-18-2011, 11:18 PM
The hanging light structure in the sahara...they didn't even use it for the biggest acts each night, wtf?

that's probably the performers choice than anything else.

wasn't there to see it, but korn being on the polo fields is automatic fail

wut.

citizenerased
04-18-2011, 11:33 PM
wut.
Skrillex cameo.

kananilove
04-18-2011, 11:35 PM
the black key's sound and screen not working.

R41N570RM
04-18-2011, 11:48 PM
I thought that Ratatat were sloppy and weak compared to other performances I've seen from them. Does anyone share this sentiment?

reba_dude
04-18-2011, 11:49 PM
Mine was definitely Mount Kimbie. They went on 50 minutes late and caused me to miss the beginning of Tame Impala. They were one of my favorite artists on the line-up.

This

the black key's sound and screen not working.

and this. Man, it was such a shame that the black keys weren't turned up way louder. They need to be heard LOUD, and it was sad that I couldn't even pick up on pat's thunderous drum hits. Oh well..

boyalien0
04-19-2011, 12:45 AM
Jonathan Davis coming out during Skrillex is NOT the fucking same as Korn showing up.

ELECtROjan
04-19-2011, 12:53 AM
Jonathan Davis coming out during Skrillex is NOT the fucking same as Korn showing up.

92OyoJjT_Lc

its worse....

lowfront
04-19-2011, 01:06 AM
I thought it was lame of A-Trak to drop songs as duck sauce that he played on his a-trak set.

Like man, you played this song yesterday....and he played 3 or 4 of the same songs between the 2 sets.

but hardly a dissapointment.....

magnetic man...there is a dissapointment

Iflail
04-19-2011, 01:10 AM

This. I was going to lose my shit (again) when they close with pool party and try and participate in their crowd Surfing race. They never got the chance ;[ least it was still an amazing show.

zachyd
04-19-2011, 01:19 AM
What is it about the Animal Collective set that disappointed everyone? Did you honestly expect them to just play hits? All I ever hear about AC is that they tend to play a lot of new songs. And the show was musically and visually stunning.

Gribbz
04-19-2011, 01:45 AM
I'm a pretty big fan, but I left Arcade Fire about 5 songs in. Wasn't feeling it.

thenoiboi
04-19-2011, 02:17 AM
I'm a pretty big fan, but I left Arcade Fire about 5 songs in. Wasn't feeling it.

whoa. anything in particular that bothered you about it?

nettik
04-19-2011, 05:28 AM
Kanye. I started to feel sorry for the guy. Khalifa did a better performance and that was embarrassing that he cut his last song because everybody was leaving.

TheBlueJay
04-19-2011, 07:30 AM
Kanye (not terrible, but disappointing), DFA1979, CeeLo (for obvious reasons), missing The Presets, Animal Collective (recently began to like them...shoulda remembered their last Coach appearance), missing Ellie Goulding (but Nas and Damian were worth it for sure), the DoLab not having any chilling spots orbiting the stage. But this was the best Coachella since 07 in terms of music and the best ever in terms of crowd density and temperature. 6 years in a row, and this may be the last for a while as I start real life. Disappointment at Coachella is like getting a giant vanilla milkshake instead of a chocolate one.

gkrablin
04-19-2011, 07:32 AM
Odd Future I had just started listening to days before...but I just couldn't get into their live stuff. Too unorganized and immature for my taste.

Magnetic Man Seemed like they just pushed play on their studio tracks that everyone loves. The volume in the Sahara was way too low. The rasta hype guy they had out there was super annoying and distracting.

Chemical Brothers Wish I didn't witness this. Everyone was just tired of standing after they came out AN HOUR late. Everyone's drugs had already begun to wear off and the volume wasn't loud enough. Wish they had been in a tent because not even that many people saw them. I left after about 3 or 4 songs and people were piling out of the festival as if Arcade Fire's encore had just finished up. I was very surprised.

Memorial_07
04-19-2011, 07:34 AM
Really? You thought DFA1979 was a disapointment? Can you elaborate?

But I do agree that this was the best Coachella since '07 (for me personally)

kimmaylynn
04-19-2011, 07:36 AM
Cee lo green for obvious reasons.

aphrael
04-19-2011, 07:40 AM
Chemical Brothers Wish I didn't witness this. Everyone was just tired of standing after they came out AN HOUR late. Everyone's drugs had already begun to wear off and the volume wasn't loud enough. Wish they had been in a tent because not even that many people saw them. I left after about 3 or 4 songs and people were piling out of the festival as if Arcade Fire's encore had just finished up. I was very surprised.

They must have gotten better as the show went on. I came out of Scala&Kolacny Brothers after they ended at 12.45, and then stopped at the Chemical Brothers to dance; their visuals and sound seemed kickass. Although I was surprised to be able to get up next tot he soundboard.

xdmizwinnie
04-19-2011, 10:03 AM
Animal Collective could have been so much better. They just made me more impatient for Arcade Fire.

concertgoer
04-19-2011, 10:03 AM
Cee Lo Green
I should have just seen POBPAH

lawbstar
04-19-2011, 10:50 AM
Ariel Pink, Animal Collective, Erykah Badu only playing one of her hits.

frizzlefry
04-19-2011, 10:55 AM
Maybe it was the drugs I was on but Animal Collective just bored me and even made me anxious sometimes. The visuals were only good some of the time, the screens constantly playing trippy visuals honestly got boring, just felt like a bunch of tripping moths attracted to the psychedelic flame.

JamesMills
04-19-2011, 10:57 AM
Animal Collective

PenisMuncher
04-19-2011, 12:14 PM
Odd Future. Worst set from any band I've seen ever. And I've been to a Neon Trees concert and a Honey Brothers set, so that's saying something.

I left after five minutes and just spent 20 minutes in an empty Mojave before seeing the end of Odd Future so I could get a good spot at A-Trak.

303dubbin
04-19-2011, 12:23 PM

this.

and duck sauce was pretty lame. i was expecting them to be awesome and they just weren't.

BootsyGraham
04-19-2011, 12:34 PM
PJ Harvey. I am a huge fan. I was thrilled with the new stuff and the old songs, but she played such a short set. I camped out with my friends for four hours and then she only played something like 9 songs. We were split between Kanye and PJ and finally decided to see PJ up close and try and get close for Kanye. I wish I had camped out at Kanye because even though I got close, I felt a little left out missing the first few songs and not being up there.

esohyouel
04-19-2011, 12:43 PM
Yeah, I'd have to disagree with animal collectives set - as i am not a big fan, i really enjoyed it.. ive never seen such a visually stunning preformance - wow. everyone i was around seemed to be really into it as well..

I'd have to say the biggest disapointment for me was chase and status.. i walked into it after ratat ended and omg... being a huge dnb fan, i didnt know what was more gut wrenching, the crowd or the music. terrible.

dine with a cannibal
04-19-2011, 01:21 PM
Definitely the Black Keys. Didn't they have sound problems in 09 too? They are known for cutting the bullshit and playing loud and hard, but that clearly wasn't the case during their set. No Strange Times, Stack shot Billy/Busted was a let down. And the majority of the crowd was psyched on Brothers songs and not too thrilled by older material. Every other time I've seen them on this tour the crowd goes nuts when GZA's liquid sword comes on before they come on stage. oh well.

KickerConspiracy
04-19-2011, 01:26 PM
that artists that deserved the sahara didn't get to play in it, while shitfucks like skrillex got to perform there

I would go with that being one the best things about this year. By not putting the Presets and Chems in the Sahara, I didn't have to worry about raving etards and standing in piss as much this year. Pure win.

For me the biggest disappointment was Interpol. I think their set was lifeless and lame. Also missing Trentemoller to catch the National, though the National were awesome.

GHenny
04-19-2011, 01:34 PM
I hated the strokes set with a passion. Always been a fan of their music but at Coachella they were BORING. They showed up, played their songs, had no energy or life what so ever. The stage was so dark the cameras were having trouble picking them up for the big screens.

I can't understand why people actually liked this performance. Even if you love every song they sing what did they do during this performance that made it exciting, memorable or in any way better than listening to them on your ipod?

StopMakingSense
04-19-2011, 01:49 PM
I thought that Ratatat were sloppy and weak compared to other performances I've seen from them. Does anyone share this sentiment?

To me it wasn't really the sloppiness. It was more so that they tried to squeeze in too much for the 45minutes that they played. They played Loud Pipes, proceeded to apologize in a very surprised way that they were done, and then that was it. I don't think anyone was expecting it. Even the crowd was chanting one more song for a good minute.

I digress...

Steve Angello for talking too much? Set was awesome, I wish he would have just shut up.

itsgonrain
04-19-2011, 01:51 PM
I would say Odd Future, but they had the best cameo with Pharrell closing it out, and Tyler losing his shit over it....
I'd go with Delorean, their songs are too good to get ruined by bad sound set-up...

Strike III
04-19-2011, 02:21 PM
Probly gonna say Animal Collective. I was trying to get to the front since Broken Social Scene and in between every set people went batshit and shoved people. I was in so much pain and didn't have any water left. Just made me want the night to end faster.

GuyInTucson
04-19-2011, 02:23 PM
Definitely the Black Keys. Didn't they have sound problems in 09 too? They are known for cutting the bullshit and playing loud and hard, but that clearly wasn't the case during their set. No Strange Times, Stack shot Billy/Busted was a let down. And the majority of the crowd was psyched on Brothers songs and not too thrilled by older material. Every other time I've seen them on this tour the crowd goes nuts when GZA's liquid sword comes on before they come on stage. oh well.

I said this in another thread, but, from where I was standing, I heard The Black Keys quite well and it was one of the better sets of the weekend, in my opinion.

Chillzzz
04-19-2011, 02:28 PM
Nas & Damian not playing "Africa Must Wake Up" was easily my biggest disappointment

citizenerased
04-19-2011, 02:28 PM
Probly gonna say Animal Collective. I was trying to get to the front since Broken Social Scene and in between every set people went batshit and shoved people. I was in so much pain and didn't have any water left. Just made me want the night to end faster.
Saturday night that happened a couple times for me. After Bright Eyes the lines up people trying to get closer for Mumford and Sons got so fucking hostile with the lines trying to get out.

Mcoppel
04-22-2011, 11:31 AM
The art on the grounds, lame "giant wheel"
Stupid conflicts, boys noize vs the chemical bros.
Lame headliners Kanye west closing
Poor acts in the sahara tent

unknown
04-22-2011, 11:39 AM
Kentaro was kind of a let down. After so much hype from friends who saw him at Ninja Tune XX I was expecting him to at least stay on beat while juggling. Not a very consistent flow while transitioning between different genres either.

Aurgasm
04-22-2011, 11:47 AM
Animal Collective was just an awful racket. I've seen them before and enjoyed myself....they just sounded really really bad to me. (i was sober)

Cee Lo- duh

Lauryn Hill- I still had fun but i don't see the point in double timing every last song... It seemed as if she didnt want to actually sing

Green Velvet- I had fun, but It was totally skipable.

Take- everyone hyped this guy up and I guess it could have gotten cool, but I didn't stay around to find out

I guess that's about it. I saw some arcade fire and liked it, but the arcadelos are complete assholes. Never been around such a douchey crowd.

Overall- best coach ever for me in terms of total experience. I really don't care too much about the bands I griped about.

richiedigs
04-22-2011, 12:19 PM
What the fuck happened to Mount Kimbie?

and I loved animal collective. It was such a treat hearing the new stuff. but I've been a die hard AC fan since I was in high school, which was quite a while ago.

Donaldj
04-22-2011, 01:06 PM
Green Velvet- I had fun, but It was totally skipable.

The funniest quote I heard about Green Velvet all weekend was it was basically Yo Gabba Gabba without the costumes.

MissingPerson
04-22-2011, 01:13 PM
arcadelos

Ohhhhhhhhh no.

Gribbz
04-22-2011, 01:30 PM
Hahahahaha. You gotta admit he has a point.

MissingPerson
04-22-2011, 01:37 PM
I can't say one way or the other in Coachella's case, I just don't want that to catch on. Christ.

Mr. Dylanja
04-22-2011, 01:39 PM
Interpol was/is god awful.

BeeII
04-22-2011, 01:39 PM
not seeing any of the boardies throwing fish sticks at kanye was the biggest disappointment of the weekend.

beeblebrox
04-22-2011, 01:40 PM
Chems not getting to play their entire set. Show was still spectacular though.

Gribbz
04-22-2011, 01:43 PM
not seeing any of the boardies throwing fish sticks at kanye was the biggest disappointment of the weekend.

Kanye West Fishstick Throw

A Play by Malcolm Jamal Awesome

SETTING: Kanye West's mainstage performance,at a time clearly too dark to see anything that is not glowing

BOARDIE #1
Ok guys! Let's do it! Let's throw these fishticks we've been hauling around in the heat all day long!

BOARDIE #2
Ha ha ha. This is so funny. This is exactly like that South Park episode from several years ago.

BOARDIE #1
I know, right? Remember?

BOARDIE #2
Ok guys, let's do it! One ... two ... three!

(Group of five BOARDIES throw fishsticks into the air, landing nowhere near a stage and, due to the darkness, being virtually undetectable to all those around them. The handful of people hit with fishsticks barely notice, look over their shoulder momentarily, and then forget the entire thing ever happened.)

BOARDIE #1
Ha ha ha! Yes! We did it! We did it!

BYSTANDER
While I nor anyone else could actually tell what you were throwing because of the items' nondescript appearance, I am curious: What did you guys just throw?

BOARDIE #2
Fishsticks!

BYSTANDER
Why?

BOARDIES #1
Because of that South Park! From like, I don't know, three years ago!

BYSTANDER:
Wow. You guys are serious pieces of shit.

(EVERYONE reacts with cold indifference. NOBODY laughs.)

THE END

I just wanted an excuse to re-post this masterpiece.

M Sparks
04-22-2011, 01:49 PM
Everyone who is calling Animal Collective a disappointment was obviously sober.

Drugs can enhance an experience, yes. But if they are NECESSARY to enjoy it, then it's just not very good from a musical standpoint.

What I saw of that was just annoying, and I used to listen to stuff like Lab Report.

CocoTronz
04-22-2011, 01:50 PM
BIGGEST DISSAPOINTMENT IS THAT ITS OVER :(

Aurgasm
04-22-2011, 01:53 PM
Drugs can enhance an experience, yes. But if they are NECESSARY to enjoy it, then it's just not very good from a musical standpoint.

What I saw of that was just annoying, and I used to listen to stuff like Lab Report.

i agree on both points

GuyInTucson
04-22-2011, 01:54 PM
I dunno, I really liked Animal Collective's set this year and I did nothing out of the ordinary to enhance the experience. Different strokes and all that...

Donaldj
04-22-2011, 02:00 PM
I'm a big Animal Collective fan, I was sober, and I loved their set.

GuyInTucson
04-22-2011, 02:05 PM
Nas & Damian not playing "Africa Must Wake Up" was easily my biggest disappointment

This track and 'Friends' are the two they skipped that I am most disappointed about.

wompwomp
04-22-2011, 02:06 PM
The total disaster that was Magnetic Man. They were definitely in my top 5 must see, but they were just terrible. The sound was way too low, their mix sucked and the hype man was god awful.

Honestly other than that, I really wasn't disappointed by anything. Great freaking weekend.

NachoCat
04-22-2011, 02:41 PM
No Marky was a HUGE dissapointment for me. I was really looking forward to his set. Pink eye?!?!?!? WTF you gotta make up something better then pink eye. Im about to domestic violence my GF and its all Marky's fault.

iamellyn
04-22-2011, 03:45 PM
Animal Collective. They're in my top five favourite bands. I've seen them before and they were incredible. I was all the way at the gate, and the show was so lame. It sucks, too, because I told a lot of people to check them out, and they were so unimpressed.

Also, I don't think whether a band was good on psychedelics is a good qualification for whether they put on a good set. It is not hard to be amused on psychedelics.

TheMadeleine
04-22-2011, 03:52 PM
Animal Collective was just an awful racket. I've seen them before and enjoyed myself....they just sounded really really bad to me. (i was sober)

THIS :( In fact they pretty much ruined my mood Saturday night...I was soooo looking forward to them and afterwards I just couldn't get back into my groove.

JKNovoa
04-22-2011, 03:56 PM
Animal Collective! I was so excited to se them. None of my friends wanted to go, so I was solo. Even with plenty help from my other friends I couldn't get into their set. I tried though, stayed for 5 of their "songs". Wish I would have left earlier.

Their stuff was definitely being handled by an audio engineer who couldn't handle it and just wobbled the low frequencies. Horrible mixing.

blueblazered
04-22-2011, 03:58 PM
Animal Collective

choga
04-22-2011, 03:58 PM
I would say Odd Future, but they had the best cameo with Pharrell closing it out, and Tyler losing his shit over it....
I'd go with Delorean, their songs are too good to get ruined by bad sound set-up...

shit i was there at for the end of odd future so i could get a good spot for A-Trak.... I thought they were awful but apparently they were so bad I didn't even realize Pharrell hit the stage?

iamellyn
04-22-2011, 04:00 PM
Saturday night that happened a couple times for me. After Bright Eyes the lines up people trying to get closer for Mumford and Sons got so fucking hostile with the lines trying to get out.

It was so intense. I made it all the way through from Broken Social Scene until Arcade Fire (got to the gate by AF) but it really hard -- sweaty, pushy, aggressive, etc. But totally fucking worth it.

Necie
04-22-2011, 04:06 PM
Big Audio Dynamite not playing The Globe
The Kills not playing Getting Down
Duran Duran not playing Wild Boys

BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT: The Presets getting cut short :-(

Otherwise it was a fucking amazing Coachella for meeee!

iamellyn
04-22-2011, 04:06 PM
Animal Collective was amazing, if you've seen them before you should know that they play 75% new material. That's how they introduce their music.

I saw them at the Wiltern a year or two ago. They played almost no new material and a bunch of great stuff from Merriweather, Feels, and Strawberry Jam, and great favourites of mine like Chocolate Girl and Fireworks. It was incredible.

M Sparks
04-22-2011, 04:10 PM
I'm a big Animal Collective fan, I was sober, and I loved their set.

Fair enough, sir.

Mr. Dylanja
04-22-2011, 04:11 PM
...not meeting guedita :nono

LayZboy
04-22-2011, 04:12 PM
i wasn't disappointed in much...Phantogram was a little dull and Yelle was a little too French for me

M Sparks
04-22-2011, 04:20 PM
Big Audio Dynamite not playing The Globe

I've heard this from multiple people. I wasn't aware this was such a big hit. Honestly, I was surprised they played anything from that era. Mick was the only person onstage that had anything to do with The Globe.

BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT: The Presets getting cut short :-(

They shouldn't have gone on so late. I'm sure it wasn't all their fault...at 11:00, Leftfield's drums were still onstage. But there didn't seem to be much urgency to get them set up, and they don't even have much to set up.

I'll put that as my main disappointment this year, the ridiculous delays. Considering how smooth everything else ran, it was a shame how many people were late, sometimes ridiculously so.

bmack86
04-22-2011, 05:23 PM
I saw them at the Wiltern a year or two ago. They played almost no new material and a bunch of great stuff from Merriweather, Feels, and Strawberry Jam, and great favourites of mine like Chocolate Girl and Fireworks. It was incredible.

THat was literally the only tour they've ever done that though. It was good, but I got so tired of it by the end of the year and I was really glad to hear so much new stuff in the set. And I really loved the direction they took the stuff. There was still a danceable groove to the songs, but they reconnected with their weird side.

dyltr0n3030
04-22-2011, 11:26 PM
ddddd

sonofhal
04-23-2011, 02:19 AM
OFWGWTF!

Everyone else I saw gets a passing grade (I'm not counting Marina, as I only cut through the 90% empty Gobi to get to Cut Copy).

DaFunkyPrecedent
04-24-2011, 09:07 AM
They should have put Odd Future the Mojave late night...Sahara was just too big for them. While I wasn't blown away by their set - I did see tons of potential. They'll have a bright future.

303dubbin
04-24-2011, 09:34 AM

this

sdflako
04-24-2011, 10:20 PM
I only have 1 disappointment. The vocalist for Omar Rodriguez Lopez was horrible!!!! Im a huge fan of Omar Rodriguez Lopez, the Mars Volta and at the Drive in. Have seen the mars Volta live bur not Omar Rodriguez lopez's band. Something about the vocals was so annoying I had to leave his set after 2 songs

lawbstar
04-24-2011, 11:08 PM
The art on the grounds

where were the muthafuckin landsharks I was promisied? And that giant bird cage contraption didn't work!

Mr. Dylanja
04-24-2011, 11:15 PM
I saw the landsharks behind the sahara twice.

Wheres the beef?
04-24-2011, 11:18 PM

Not seeing Mr. Dylanja until Sunday.

CrimesceneCookie
04-24-2011, 11:41 PM
Landsharks were prowling near the Dome on Friday during Beardyman.

Saydo
04-25-2011, 12:37 AM
Kogi wagon was located in the VIP area the entire festival(or so I heard). Seriously I've heard about this thing and for the last 2 years I've been on the search for it(not so hard last year, but I searched hard this year). I searched the entire camping areas, 2 parking areas, camp activites areas, areas near the oasis dome, outdoor theater, and all three beer gardens. Please...if it's not available to all, don't tease me. Other than that no other complaints.

beeerplease
04-25-2011, 03:32 AM
oh, and the sound bleed from the energy factory is worse than the do lab ever was..

THIS! STUPID ENERGY FACTORY!

CocoTronz
04-25-2011, 09:39 AM
another dissapointment was no after hours like last year...

tsweezy
04-25-2011, 09:42 AM
Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti

but at least it was memorable

crombrenner
04-25-2011, 09:59 AM
I only have 1 disappointment. The vocalist for Omar Rodriguez Lopez was horrible!!!! Im a huge fan of Omar Rodriguez Lopez, the Mars Volta and at the Drive in. Have seen the mars Volta live bur not Omar Rodriguez lopez's band. Something about the vocals was so annoying I had to leave his set after 2 songs

Um, you realize the vocalist was the lead singer of Mars Volta right?

Jugohouse
04-25-2011, 10:07 AM
i don't know why but Bloody Beetroots, Cee Lo and a little bit of Duck Sauce

icaito
04-25-2011, 10:09 AM

Um, you realize the vocalist was the lead singer of Mars Volta right?

I think my brain just imploded. sdflako, all your quals have been pulled.

ThatGirl
04-25-2011, 10:09 AM

I never got to meet her but I will say her outfit was fabulous. :)

bassbookie
04-25-2011, 10:30 AM
Interpol by far!... I'm a huge Interpol fan and the other times I've seen them live has been magical, first time without Carlos... this time their set lacked passion, Paul Banks got completely lost in Lights and was not able to continue singing until the end of the song and I missed Carlos SO much... they sounded blah.

another huge disappointment was Creators Project... they had good ideas for the bands they worked with and the Coachella stage show was crazy but there was always something not working, whether it was part of the screens or the complete screens or some lights, I don't know, they created too much buzz about it and I expected something more "professional"

KickerConspiracy
04-25-2011, 11:05 AM
Seconded for Interpol. Absolutely no energy or excitement from their set. Too few songs from 'Our Love to Admire'. I think I missed my window for seeing them as I'm not a big fan of their newest record, from which it seemed like a disproportionate amount of their set was from.

Jugohouse
04-25-2011, 12:18 PM
also One Day as a Lion kind of suck, i hoped at least one RATM cover

unknown
04-25-2011, 12:24 PM
this

And you were both in the dome at the same time multiple times throughout the weekend. I completely forget who does and doesn't know one another, I should have introduced you two.

DaFunkyPrecedent
04-25-2011, 12:25 PM

If you're a fan of MARS VOLTA, than that show should have been AMAZING for you...seeing as how it was more or less MARS VOLTA. sigh.

DaFunkyPrecedent
04-25-2011, 12:27 PM

I only got to see Round & Round and YES it was memorable. At the end of the song when he had his ear pressed to the bass drum was classic!

sdflako
04-25-2011, 01:27 PM
Lmao. I musta been bad tripping then because I thought Omar had someone else up there

rage patton
04-25-2011, 01:30 PM
I have seen Gogol 12 times... and this one was a pretty big disapointment.

aphrael
04-25-2011, 01:36 PM
I have seen Gogol 12 times... and this one was a pretty big disapointment.

Where were you? I don't recall seeing you in the pit this year. :)

yeahfontaine
04-25-2011, 01:55 PM
Lmao. I musta been bad tripping then because I thought Omar had someone else up there

Oh geez. Just to make you feel a TINY bit better.

Seattle Weekly's #14 on their "75 Greatest Things You Missed at Coachella" list...

14. A guy singing with Omar Rodriguez-Lopez who sounds and dances exactly like Cedric Bixler-Zavala from The Mars Volta, but is not Cedric. UPDATE: Yeah, never mind, that was totally Cedric, sans 'fro.

jmaze
04-25-2011, 01:57 PM
no Marky
Magnetic Man sucked!

frizzlefry
04-25-2011, 11:49 PM
I think the heat is what kind of fucked up Gogol Bordello's performance, they shouldn't have been that early, no Baro Faro what the fuck? The only real disappointment I have is not hearing Body is a Cage from Arcade Fire, still loved their set though.

gooftroop
04-26-2011, 05:34 AM
Being on the Coachella message boards instead of the polo grounds.

Musically most everything I saw was good, only major disappointment was Odd Future not bringing it like they should have (Sahara was a bad call IMO) then seeing Cee-Lo start late and get cut short. Both shows should have been way better. Really the biggest disappointments were the shows I didn't see (last 20 minutes of Chems, Leftfield, Phantogram, Presets FUCK Sunday was a heartbreaker this year).

Alchemy
04-26-2011, 11:16 AM
Ariel Pink was like a half-disappointment for me. It was a disappointment because I hear Tame Impala was great, but it wasn't a complete disappointment because it was so interesting to watch. I also got to hear songs that I like from Ariel Pink, even though they sounded a bit lo-fi... Oh wait, they always sound lo-fi.

I didn't see Animal Collective, but I figured it wouldn't be a hit set of Merriweather, Strawberry Jam, and Feels. I've seen them twice, and both times have been weird. Anyway, I wouldn't have wanted to miss any of B.A.D., and I wanted to get close for Suede.

I did notice a lowness in the Black Keys set, but their performance was too great to call their set a disappointment... In fact, it was still one of my favorite sets.

One of my biggest disappointments was the food poisoning I suffered from on Thursday night, which made me too exhausted to stay for Caifanes and The Chemical Brothers. Hearing that the Chem Bros. went on late makes me imagine that I would have been dying on the field.

But really, the set that was a disappointed to me was Kanye West. It wasn't horrible, but compared to Jay-Z's set last year, it was really lacking. GET A LIVE BAND!

frizzlefry
04-26-2011, 11:19 AM
Tame Impala was amazing, and Animal Collective were without a doubt weird, the biggest song they played was Did You See The Words, looking back, I'm half disappointed and half happy that I stayed for that set. Entirely disappointed at the weird mood that AC left my vulnerable brain at the time which made me skip out on EOTS

JAvina1283
04-26-2011, 11:32 AM
The Chemical Brothers going on late.

rage patton
05-06-2011, 06:37 PM
Where were you? I don't recall seeing you in the pit this year. :)

I was at the edge of pit on the right hand side. I stayed out of it for the most part because I wasn't feeling it.

I think the heat is what kind of fucked up Gogol Bordello's performance, they shouldn't have been that early, no Baro Faro what the fuck? The only real disappointment I have is not hearing Body is a Cage from Arcade Fire, still loved their set though.

This isn't it. What was wrong was that they played pretty much ALL material from the new album. I think they played 2 songs from Gypsy Punks and 2 songs from Super Taranta. Then, like, 6 from TCH.

That is not all though, they were also missing Elizabeth and Oren, their guitar player. Elizabeth wasn't with them back in October when I saw them, but I figured she must have been busy or something. Not seeing her with them AGAIN at Coachella was a major bummer. Their is no mention of her leaving the band on their website. Then, I noticed Oren was gone too? WTF? No mention of his leaving the band on their website either! Just like how they didn't tell anyone Elliot left the band.

Basically, the reason it disapointed me is that this performance seemed to be Eugene Hutz ego show, rather than a Gogol Bordello show. It just didn't feel right. I felt like I barely knew the band on stage and the setlist was a major bummer.

getbetter
05-06-2011, 06:45 PM
Oh geez. Just to make you feel a TINY bit better.

Seattle Weekly's #14 on their "75 Greatest Things You Missed at Coachella" list...

14. A guy singing with Omar Rodriguez-Lopez who sounds and dances exactly like Cedric Bixler-Zavala from The Mars Volta, but is not Cedric. UPDATE: Yeah, never mind, that was totally Cedric, sans 'fro.

Gheez face palm

Bons222000
05-06-2011, 09:25 PM
no Marky
Magnetic Man sucked!

For me, the weekend did not hold too many disappointments. Overall, most of the acts I wanted to see beforehand were up to par.

The exception being Magnetic Man. Flat, not fun, I was going into it with a lot of energy and left like 20 mins in. Just could not get into it AT ALL.

My other biggest disappointment was the Chemical Bros starting like 20-25 minutes late because I REALLY wanted them to play Escape Velocity and I think if they had more time they would have. I can't be too disappointed though, this was set of the weekend for me.

frizzlefry
05-07-2011, 09:08 AM
Did you go to Outsidelands last year Patton? I think they had the same crew for that show too, maybe those people are actually gone?

cman1098
05-08-2011, 01:14 AM

I'm in the same boat. I stayed the entire time. I was angry they didn't play more stuff off their new album. It was what, their third Coachella and they felt the need to play their old stuff? They didn't play Modern Man or Suburban War, my two favorite songs off their new album. My biggest disappointment because I was expecting much more, where as out of everyone else I wasn't.

Bumblebee
05-08-2011, 03:58 AM
I'm in the same boat. I stayed the entire time. I was angry they didn't play more stuff off their new album. It was what, their third Coachella and they felt the need to play their old stuff? They didn't play Modern Man or Suburban War, my two favorite songs off their new album. My biggest disappointment because I was expecting much more, where as out of everyone else I wasn't.

I saw them in September blow me away in Vancouver. For Chell i saw a coupel songs at the beginning, went to go see most of Scissor Sisters, then came back for the last few songs and ball drop before leaving. AF were solid but didn't blow me away.

IRSCOTT
05-08-2011, 04:01 AM
The Chemical Brothers going on late.

THIS made us miss the end too.... Everyone was glad that I fought them to make them stay for the part we did see.

Bus McRider
05-08-2011, 04:07 AM
Missing Tame Impala, Interpol, and The Black Keys because my girlfriend got heat exhaustion.

Bus McRider
05-08-2011, 04:07 AM
Also the lost 40 minutes of The Chemical Brothers.

DaFunkyPrecedent
05-08-2011, 06:34 AM
Kanye. I will never see Kanye West live ever again.

paulb
05-08-2011, 11:01 AM
OFWGKTA really sucked..the only good parts was when Tyler was on stage, and performing Yonkers, just a terrible vibe in the tent, way too big for those kids.

Gogol Bordello were terrible as well. I couldnt believe the choices they made for their setlist. Waaaaaay too much new stuff, starting off the set with Tribal was such a slow way to go when everyone was already baking in the sun....easily the worst Gogol Bordello show ive seen out of 10x+

Bumblebee
05-08-2011, 01:20 PM
OFWGKTA really sucked..the only good parts was when Tyler was on stage, and performing Yonkers, just a terrible vibe in the tent, way too big for those kids.

But the Dome would have been a mess with possible injuries. Where else would they go?

citizenerased
05-08-2011, 01:27 PM
But the Dome would have been a mess with possible injuries. Where else would they go?
Gobi + no backtracks + less screaming. It was like they thought a bigger stage and audience meant they needed to scream louder to hype a bigger crowd.

Bumblebee
05-08-2011, 02:52 PM
Gobi + no backtracks + less screaming. It was like they thought a bigger stage and audience meant they needed to scream louder to hype a bigger crowd.

I htink they threw them in the dance tent because it was the only place that could fit them with a last minute move. The other tents were full up more or less.

Then there's the question if the set would have been better if tech were on time and fans/band weren't frustrated by the delay.

goldfromla
05-08-2011, 03:30 PM
the crowd at axwell on sunday...... yawn

xanman86
05-08-2011, 03:37 PM
Odd Future brought Frank Ocean, but he did not play any of his own songs.

FAIL

GoodGirlGalaxy
05-08-2011, 05:21 PM
Odd Future brought Frank Ocean, but he did not play any of his own songs.

FAIL

Agreed. Since Ocean's solo album, I thought, "Now I have to see these guys" and was quickly discouraged after realizing that the OF performances are just aggressive rap shows with mostly Tyler and Hodgy doing the gist of it. When I saw Ocean walk on stage I was so excited only to be let down in the end. If he had done "Songs for Women" or "Novacane" or ANY ONE OF HIS SONGS it would have made the day... but he didn't.

Edit: I realize all of his songs don't include any of the other members. So instead I wish that they would have played "Hell" from BLACKENEDWHITE. So FAIL is right.

michaelmontanez
05-08-2011, 07:25 PM
animal collective was one of the most engaging sets i saw. i loved it. more importantly, i love that most of you hated it.

That's exactly how I feel... it was captivating.

Wheres the beef?
05-08-2011, 08:25 PM
The chemical brothers.

1. Main stage
2. Conflicting with Boys Noize
3. 10 minute start after Sasha
4. Starting 35 minutes late.
5. New show sucks.
6. Visuals not working properly.

Bus McRider
05-09-2011, 12:05 AM
That's exactly how I feel... it was captivating.

I agree

JKNovoa
05-09-2011, 04:29 AM
I wasn't really disappointed. All in all everyone had a good set that I saw besides Skrillex. but he wasn't a disappointment, I knew he would blow.

Yeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

Bons222000
05-09-2011, 04:46 PM

They played 18 songs. 8 were from The Suburbs. I don't see how you figure they needed to play more off the new album. Most people complain when a band doesn't play their big songs at a festival.

I wish they'd played Suburban War too, but I'd say Modern Man is my least favorite song on the Suburbs. They can't tailor the set list to everyone's individual tastes. It seemed to me they were by FAR the best of the headliners.

Dj Oddball
05-09-2011, 05:28 PM

This!!!! They had epic things planned for the two songs that got cut. Pool Party and Hey Homies.

caeden
05-09-2011, 05:37 PM
my biggest disappointment was elbow. not because they sucked, it was due to me not being able to get into them like i wanted. i take full responsibility for this.

Kanye. I will never see Kanye West live ever again.

i saw kanye at bonnaroo in 08. i admit he does put on one hell of a show, but he is such a douche bag that i cannot fathom seeing him live again.

xanman86
05-09-2011, 06:01 PM
"If I'm a douche then put me in your coochie"

-Kanye West

naruto_kenshin
05-09-2011, 06:10 PM
The chemical brothers.

1. Main stage
5. New show sucks.

THIS... times two

Milky
05-09-2011, 06:12 PM
Two Door Cinema Club - seen them twice before and they had loads more energy both times. They pulled a massive crowd though and the crowd seemed to really enjoy it, but their enthusiasm wasn't enough for me to get into the show.

santasutt
05-09-2011, 08:13 PM

missing most of Tame Impala's set because I got sucked into the ten car pileup that was Ariel Pink's meltdown set. Could not stop watching; hoping to see blood and corpses.

Freelance Whales: Lame-O

Gribbz
05-10-2011, 04:21 PM
The chemical brothers.

1. Main stage
5. New show sucks.

I can get behind this post more or less. I like their new show, and I had a good time... but their performance wasn't very memorable.

vibesandstuff
05-11-2011, 09:22 AM
Cold Cave - I was very excited for them and like their new album, but they were so dull live.

Phantogram - Not enough energy to keep my tired ass going Sunday night. I will give them another chance later though. They have potential to pull a really nice live set together with some experience, and the chick is so hot!

The New Pornographers - They are obviously way past their prime and had no energy whatsoever

Omar Rodriquez Lopez - I really wasn't expecting much, even with the Mars Volta there. They have gone too far off the deep end IMO.

Chemical Brothers - I have just begun to reacquaint myself with electronic music. Was super excited for this set but the delays forced them to skip the songs I was most excited about.

CellarOwl
05-11-2011, 09:33 AM
Cold Cave - I was very excited for them and like their new album, but they were so dull live.

It looks hard to keep the moped-out energy levels up when you're wearing a black, thigh-length knit sweater all afternoon in a desert valley. They came across as so serious that it was just silly.

ThatGirl
05-11-2011, 11:07 AM
my biggest disappointment was elbow. not because they sucked, it was due to me not being able to get into them like i wanted. i take full responsibility for this.

i saw kanye at bonnaroo in 08. i admit he does put on one hell of a show, but he is such a douche bag that i cannot fathom seeing him live again.

I was so into Elbow I got misty eyed during One Day Like This. I'd had such a great time so far that day it was a pretty pinnacle moment for me. It sucks you couldn't have the same experience.

R41N570RM
05-12-2011, 01:33 AM
The chemical brothers.

1. Main stage
5. New show sucks.

And I thought I was the only one who wasn't head over heels for this set. Guess it wasn't completely their fault, though...

Gribbz
05-12-2011, 10:36 AM
And I thought I was the only one who wasn't head over heels for this set. Guess it wasn't completely their fault, though...

The Main Stage sucked the life out of their performance in my opinion.

Hate to sound like a broken record, but it really should have been in the Sahara.

Wheres the beef?
05-12-2011, 10:50 AM

Hate to sound like a broken record, but it really should have been in the Sahara.

^ This

I have had various rationales offering why it was on the main stage and I think they all fall short. The main stage is not a place for the chemical brothers. Maybe it works in Europe but not at Coachella. Everything about the set felt awkward and it did not deliver.

Gribbz
05-12-2011, 10:53 AM
BUT THEY WERE ON THE MAIN STAGE AT GLASTONBURY!

vibesandstuff
05-14-2011, 07:28 PM
It looks hard to keep the moped-out energy levels up when you're wearing a black, thigh-length knit sweater all afternoon in a desert valley. They came across as so serious that it was just silly.

The lead singer of Freelance Whales had a heavy flannel on! WTF! It was hot as hell in that tent!

emg707
05-14-2011, 10:53 PM
I can get behind this post more or less. I like their new show, and I had a good time... but their performance wasn't very memorable.

What?!!! It was an amazing show and the visuals rocked!! I was in the pit though. Where did you watch it from? Umm watch this vid!

My biggest disappointment was Gogol Bordello.

-RmNWvrVIIs

frizzlefry
05-15-2011, 12:04 AM
seriously, no Baro Foro?

boarderwoozel3
05-15-2011, 01:15 AM
What?!!! It was an amazing show and the visuals rocked!! I was in the pit though. Where did you watch it from? Umm watch this vid!

My biggest disappointment was Gogol Bordello.

-RmNWvrVIIs

What?

That video is quality though.

boarderwoozel3
05-15-2011, 01:28 AM

^ This

I have had various rationales offering why it was on the main stage and I think they all fall short. The main stage is not a place for the chemical brothers. Maybe it works in Europe but not at Coachella. Everything about the set felt awkward and it did not deliver.

At first I was all 'the fuck are these guys talking about?' But I realized, its similar to myself and Underworld. The August '10 Fox gig in Oakland was that good, wasn't it?

Gribbz
05-15-2011, 09:02 AM

I had a great spot next to the glowruption business.

At first I was all 'the fuck are these guys talking about?' But I realized, its similar to myself and Underworld. The August '10 Fox gig in Oakland was that good, wasn't it?

Personally, I thought the Fox show was better. Longer set, no visual fuck ups, crowd was super into it, so on and so forth. However, I still had a good time. I just wouldn't put their performance in my top 5 of the weekend.

EDIT* The Chemical Brothers are not to blame for the aforementioned problems.

brematale111
05-15-2011, 09:38 AM
seriously, no Baro Foro?

yeah I was really let down by gogol too. I wasn't expecting to hear much off of GP or ST, and unfortunately, I was right. I've seen them 6 times now (and a 7th when they open up for soad this month) and this was easily my least favorite show. It was pretty cool, though, the rest of my group skipped tallest man on earth to 'get a good spot for gogol', and the second tallest man was over i booked it to gogol and only missed one song, and found my friends in the pit.

As for the chems, I saw them at the hollywood bowl so I spent my friday night on the rail for flogging molly.

My personal biggest disappointment had to be the morning benders. I waited for over an hour to have a rail spot and was extremely let down. They just did not bring it. This is extremely rare for me to say this, but I lost respect for them after seeing them live.

guedita
05-15-2011, 09:47 AM

same. I saw Guedita walk out of the tent.

this.

And you were both in the dome at the same time multiple times throughout the weekend. I completely forget who does and doesn't know one another, I should have introduced you two.

Don't worry guys, I am a big disappointment.

Buddha99
05-15-2011, 09:48 AM
Duran Duran easily --- my wife dragged me to this set and we both agreed this was the worst set of a great weekend of music. I didn't have high hopes but even then it was disappointing...

brematale111
05-15-2011, 09:53 AM
Duran Duran easily --- my wife dragged me to this set and we both agreed this was the worst set of a great weekend of music. I didn't have high hopes but even then it was disappointing...

any particular reason why? I'm not a huge fan, I only know their hits, but they put on a good show imo

frizzlefry
05-15-2011, 11:45 AM
yeah I was really let down by gogol too. I wasn't expecting to hear much off of GP or ST, and unfortunately, I was right. I've seen them 6 times now (and a 7th when they open up for soad this month) and this was easily my least favorite show. It was pretty cool, though, the rest of my group skipped tallest man on earth to 'get a good spot for gogol', and the second tallest man was over i booked it to gogol and only missed one song, and found my friends in the pit.

Lol at your friends for worrying about getting a good spot for a punk show, you can almost strut up to the front midway through their set.

brematale111
05-15-2011, 12:25 PM
ha my thoughts exactly.

Penguin
05-15-2011, 12:33 PM
Anyone who said that the Chemical Brothers should have been in the Sahara is an idiot. There's no way they could fit their "light coils" and their visuals need to be on a huge screen. It's supposed to be an epic show on an epic scale. Fucking idiots. The Chemical Brothers put on a wonderful show...you must have been sober/in a bummer mood if you don't agree. Their audio/visual show is unmatched by anyone in the game today. The delay was the only problem, and you can blame the fucking shitty ass Kings of Leon bastards for that travesty.

Also, an early comment saying all the hate on Animal Collective is coming from sober people...that can not be reiterated ENOUGH. Boring fucks. If you were tripping for that set, then you know it was one of the nuttiest psychedelic feasts for the senses you can get (both in terms of visuals and sound). Their intro alone was mind blowing. The sounds they were throwing out there were purposefully chosen to play tricks on the trippers mind, and meshed beautifully.

If I was going to name a disappointment it would be Odd Future...but you know what, it's not really a disappointment, because I knew ahead of time they're a group of no talent bums jumping around yelling obscenities without any life experience to back up their trash talk. I hope they just fizzle away into even more obscurity, as it should be.

guedita
05-15-2011, 12:35 PM
We understand the physics of the Chemical Brothers being on the main stage instead of in the Sahara, you dipshit.

malcolmjamalawesome
05-15-2011, 12:55 PM
Anyone who said that the Chemical Brothers should have been in the Sahara is an idiot. There's no way they could fit their "light coils" and their visuals need to be on a huge screen. It's supposed to be an epic show on an epic scale. Fucking idiots. The Chemical Brothers put on a wonderful show...you must have been sober/in a bummer mood if you don't agree. Their audio/visual show is unmatched by anyone in the game today. The delay was the only problem, and you can blame the fucking shitty ass Kings of Leon bastards for that travesty.

Also, an early comment saying all the hate on Animal Collective is coming from sober people...that can not be reiterated ENOUGH. Boring fucks. If you were tripping for that set, then you know it was one of the nuttiest psychedelic feasts for the senses you can get (both in terms of visuals and sound). Their intro alone was mind blowing. The sounds they were throwing out there were purposefully chosen to play tricks on the trippers mind, and meshed beautifully.

If I was going to name a disappointment it would be Odd Future...but you know what, it's not really a disappointment, because I knew ahead of time they're a group of no talent bums jumping around yelling obscenities without any life experience to back up their trash talk. I hope they just fizzle away into even more obscurity, as it should be.

Breaking news

Penguin
05-15-2011, 01:30 PM
Clearly not all...judging from the responses here.

guedita
05-15-2011, 01:41 PM
You mean the responses that aren't arguing that the stage set up that the Chemical Brothers had actually could have physically fit into the Sahara, but rather, are reflecting upon people's personal disappointment with the main stage set for other reasons completely unrelated to the physical size of the stage set up? Those responses?

GoodGirlGalaxy
05-15-2011, 02:48 PM
Let's get to what's really "disapointing"... not enough baby panda action:
http://www.todaysbigthing.com/2011/03/21

Penguin
05-15-2011, 05:59 PM
^ This

Guedita, here you go, these two posts are the rationale for mine. There is no way in hell this set should have been in the Sahara. The Chemical Brothers show is made for the main stage. That's all. And whoever said their "new show sucks" should be shot.

Penguin
05-15-2011, 06:01 PM

This more specifically.

malcolmjamalawesome
05-15-2011, 07:35 PM
The Chemical Brothers were fantastic in the Sahara in 2005 and they had a big visual component then, it just wasn't as tall.

Explain one reason, other than the tall parts of the stage setup not fitting in the Sahara tent, why the Chem Bros show would not have worked in the Sahara.

Unless, of course, you feel the height of their stage is integral to the enjoyment of their set.

guedita
05-15-2011, 07:40 PM
Again, neither writers that you quoted are saying "The Chemical Brother's actual physical stage set up could have fit in the Sahara and should have been there and this is the reason why I didn't like the set." The posts are more like, "Gee, I personally did not like having The Chemical Brothers on the mainstage (for reasons unrelated to the actual size of their setup) I would have rather had them be in the Sahara (with a visual set up that would have fit in the tent)."

malcolmjamalawesome
05-15-2011, 07:46 PM
Between Penguin, Bee, BeeII, Bumblebee, and WALRUS, something something animal name.

Penguin
05-16-2011, 08:16 AM
The Chemical Brothers were fantastic in the Sahara in 2005 and they had a big visual component then, it just wasn't as tall.

Explain one reason, other than the tall parts of the stage setup not fitting in the Sahara tent, why the Chem Bros show would not have worked in the Sahara.

Unless, of course, you feel the height of their stage is integral to the enjoyment of their set.

The screens in the Sahara weren't nearly big enough, in my opinion. The grand scale of their show is part of the appeal. This can only be achieved on the main stage. The way their visuals are designed as well work best on a large, singular flat screen. The Sahara screens were disjointed and smaller, and most of the visuals in there were not anything cohesive like the ones designed for the Chemical Brothers. They were, for the most part, fractal images and the like that are the standard norm for electronic acts (aside from shpongle who brought in his own device). These types of visuals would work on any screen.

Every other festival they have played on this current tour (past 1-2 years) has been on large stages, so I don't know what people expected. And again, their coil set up is an awesome addition. I wouldn't want that to be disposed of just so they can play in a tent for a few bros who think they should due to some misplaced nostalgia from their previous shows.

Finally, the Chemical Brothers are too big an act at this point to be put in the Sahara. It would have been overflowed and less enjoyable in the Sahara. Much nicer to be out in the open field, not confined. Everyone gets a good view of the screen and the visual show, which is much more paramount to their experience than for other acts.

Not that the Sahara doesn't have its moments and acts that work in there. Just not The Chemical Brothers.

Buddha99
05-16-2011, 10:36 AM
any particular reason why? I'm not a huge fan, I only know their hits, but they put on a good show imo

IMO, I felt their set was more of an advertisement for their new stuff than an actual music performance (don't get me wrong - i know the recording industry can be a nasty, profit-driven sector and touring is necessary to push product, but I got a real scuzzy vibe watching a plumped up Simon LeBon perform. It might just have been me, but it was the only time all weekend, I had those feelings.)

I also was hoping to see them play more of their hits (I read reviews from previous shows in which that was the case). Oh well. One set does not make my Coachella. Maybe it was the case that i witnessed so many great sets that weekend, that Duran Duran came off lacking.

I am glad to read that you had a better experience ...

R41N570RM
05-16-2011, 11:58 AM

You must have been sober.

TommyboyUNM
05-16-2011, 12:01 PM
I'm new to this thread, and I didn't bother reading the entire thing, but did any of you consider that The Chemical Brothers' stage setup may have been too big for the Sahara?

malcolmjamalawesome
05-16-2011, 12:04 PM
hahahahaha

frizzlefry
05-16-2011, 01:14 PM

You should probably refer to this, your foot looks pretty tasty.

http://coachella.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44007

chairmenmeow47
05-25-2011, 03:15 PM
Anyone who said that the Chemical Brothers should have been in the Sahara is an idiot. There's no way they could fit their "light coils" and their visuals need to be on a huge screen. It's supposed to be an epic show on an epic scale. Fucking idiots. The Chemical Brothers put on a wonderful show...you must have been sober/in a bummer mood if you don't agree. Their audio/visual show is unmatched by anyone in the game today.

i don't even know where to begin. MJA is right about 2005 and it was "epic". they didn't just have screens, they had an ENTIRE TENT CEILING/WALLS ON WHICH TO PROJECT THEIR VISUALS, i was rolling and happy as a clam and still felt "meh" about this year's set, and apparently you've never heard of plastikman.

go back to antarctica you fucking flightless bird.

travelfan
05-25-2011, 04:10 PM
You must have been sober.

Dead.

Premium Roast
05-25-2011, 04:17 PM
wasn't there, but I'd have to wager it was Delorean

nando44
05-25-2011, 04:23 PM

The vocalist on omar rodriguez's set was the singer from mars volta.

cman1098
05-25-2011, 04:39 PM
They played 18 songs. 8 were from The Suburbs. I don't see how you figure they needed to play more off the new album. Most people complain when a band doesn't play their big songs at a festival.

I wish they'd played Suburban War too, but I'd say Modern Man is my least favorite song on the Suburbs. They can't tailor the set list to everyone's individual tastes. It seemed to me they were by FAR the best of the headliners.

Name the 8 from the suburbs? I know they played The Suburbs, Ready to Start, Roccoco, Month of May, Sprawl II, We Use to Wait. What were the other two? And yeah the best of the headliners, considering I didn't bother to see any of the other headliners thats not saying much. So I guess you are part right. Didn't realize until I actually put the list together how much they played off their new album. And that surprises me about Modern Man, everyone I talk to its in their top 3 on the album. And I don't know how you can like Month of May over Modern Man but its all in opinion.

InDaGreen
05-25-2011, 04:42 PM
City With No Children and I guess Suburbs cont. if you want to be technical were the other two.