PDA

View Full Version : Change this, don't change that

shotglass75
04-18-2011, 02:10 PM
For the most part, Coachella was a huge improvement from last year. There are still a few things about the fest that they could do to make it even better. Yet, there are many things that I wouldn't change at all about the fest. What are your thoughts?

They layout this year was a HUGE improvement. The food court up top by the ferris wheel made for so much more room to walk. Only thing I would change around up there was put the dome where the bathrooms are and the bathrooms where the dome was. This will take care of the sound bleed issues in the sahara beer tent and for people in back in the mojave. Plus it give people better access to bathrooms for more people on the field. Or just get rid of the dome because really lets be honest, the music in there is terrible.

I like the idea of the Do-Lab but something needs to be done about the sound bleed issues. It is the only "stage" that affects about 3-4 other stages. There needs to be a way to direct the sound further away from the tents and other stages. Also, go back to an open atmosphere. The purple tent did nothing but prevent anyone from seeing the entire polo field. Kinda an eyesore. It did provide great shade for people but there has to be a way to create shaded areas without covering up the entire Do Lab.

Creators Project - Brilliant. Never stop using them.

Don't try and sell any more tickets than you did this year. Rarely did I feel that it was crowded (unless I was really close) and it was very easy to get from stage to stage.

KickerConspiracy
04-18-2011, 02:21 PM
I thought the Do-Lab design was much improved. I don't think it bled over too much to Mojave/Gobi, but it did seem like sound bleed was more of an issue this year than last. Stages were larger, sound systems obviously bigger, but I felt there was more bleed to the Outdoor from the main. The Gobi got it from three sides, from the Do-Lab, the tape truck, and Mojave. Phantogram was basically inaudible, and Scala was getting a lot of interference, even though we were super close.

continuityerror
04-18-2011, 03:16 PM
Phantogram was basically inaudible

This was really depressing :/

GuyInTucson
04-18-2011, 03:17 PM
Either dump the Pure Filth stage or completely overhaul it. That stage seemed completely half-assed.

zippytc
04-18-2011, 03:43 PM
Either dump the Pure Filth stage over completely overhaul it. That stage seemed completely half-assed.
this ^ ... i walked over and was not impressed, someone needs to rethink/redesign

spiggums
04-18-2011, 04:43 PM
Either dump the Pure Filth stage over completely overhaul it. That stage seemed completely half-assed.

Plus, it was the most brutal stage to be at during the day... Was dying from the sun beating down on me during High Contrast.

chrismowgli
04-18-2011, 04:51 PM
food court design was great this year

easy entrances from all sides plus a large shaded place to eat

spiggums
04-18-2011, 04:57 PM
One thing I'd suggest changing: wristband design. the benefit of the cloth wristband over the plastic ones, from a comfort standpoint at least, was completely negated by that damned clasp. Scratchy as hell. Made it pretty irritating over the course of the three and a half days we needed to wear it. (that said, I think the switch to cloth + the RFID is great, it's just the clasp that was an issue)

BROKENDOLL
04-18-2011, 05:10 PM
The only change I can think of right now is making this an event that happens more than once a year.

tsrdrum
04-18-2011, 05:12 PM
how about GV gets sound guys who aren't mentally handicapped. My friend and I left black keys early (one of the sets I was most looking forward to) because the sound was so butchered.

Although the speakers at the front of the outdoor stage for the people in the front row were fucking rad. put those in all the other tents please.

brycerosen
04-18-2011, 05:48 PM
Lose the dome?

Dome was so much fun. this is the first year i was more impressed by the music/energy in the do lab and dome than the sahara

frazzles
04-18-2011, 05:51 PM
You guys do realize this is a festival and there will always be some sound bleed from somewhere, right?

brycerosen
04-18-2011, 05:54 PM
you need to learn to love the sound bleed

spiggums
04-18-2011, 05:55 PM
You guys do realize this is a festival and there will always be some sound bleed from somewhere, right?

this.

Honestly, I found that the bleed wasn't really bad at all for any of the stages... sure if you're walking in between them, or at a beer garden near one of them bleed should be expected. But if you were actually at any of the stages, it wasn't really a problem at all.

Yookeroo
04-18-2011, 06:09 PM
I would dearly love designated smoking areas, but I doubt that would be all that enforceable.

One or two more Hydration Stations would be nice. And another Recharge Bar (or make the one more efficient).

spiggums
04-18-2011, 06:11 PM
I would dearly love designated smoking areas, but I doubt that would be all that enforceable.

One or two more Hydration Stations would be nice. And another Recharge Bar (or make the one more efficient).

I used the recharge bar once, on Sunday, around 6PM. Picking up the phone was quick and easy... dropping it off on the other hand took forever. Why? Was it cause the line was ridiculously long? no... it was cause the girl who was taking phones was too busy walking away from her station and talking to people... I mean, I'm a pretty patient person... but there was no excuse for that!

JayDubyaJay
04-18-2011, 06:17 PM
More showers!!!!

kimmaylynn
04-18-2011, 06:22 PM
More toilets by the sahara please.

amishCYBORG
04-18-2011, 06:28 PM
you need to learn to love the sound bleed
This.
Honestly, I like sitting down and taking breaks in areas with intersecting sound bleed. I've never had a sound bleed issue that wasn't solved by going a little deeper in the crowd.

captncrzy
04-18-2011, 06:50 PM
Outdoor
Theater
shade

magmazing
04-18-2011, 06:58 PM
Security searches got a little too thorough this year. Opening every tiny little pouch and pack of gum in a bag seemed a little excessive in the 2nd and 3rd day. Did the ferris wheel incident cause the escalation of the searches?

captncrzy
04-18-2011, 07:01 PM
I don't know, but my stash was discovered on Saturday....he asked what it was, I was honest and told him, and he put it back in my bag and told me to have a good time.

eskamo951
04-18-2011, 07:02 PM
The only change I can think of right now is making this an event that happens more than once a year.

This.

I loved this year. They completely fixed everything I had issues with last year. It was pointed out to me, however, that the spotlights didn't move like they did in 08 and 10. I miss those. I was too awestruck by the festival to notice until late last night, when it was mentioned to me by someone else. I also didn't like being a 20 minute walk from all of my other friend's campsites, though, but that's Continental Airlines' fault for making me miss my flight and arriving late.

eskamo951
04-18-2011, 07:04 PM
Security searches got a little too thorough this year. Opening every tiny little pouch and pack of gum in a bag seemed a little excessive in the 2nd and 3rd day. Did the ferris wheel incident cause the escalation of the searches?

I just got a basic pat down. I was even allowed to bring in the filled water bottle they caught me sneaking in.

kimmaylynn
04-18-2011, 07:21 PM
Outdoor
Theater
shade

This and for the main stage.

SUSHIXXXXX
04-18-2011, 07:24 PM

THIS! I fucking hate people that smoke and completely blow it all over the people in front of them. I almost had an asthma attack last year because of all the 2nd hand smoke I had to inhale.

M Sparks
04-18-2011, 07:41 PM
Awesome things this year (I THINK all these were new)

-Screens at every stage was great. I know some people don't like them because it draws the eye away from the stage. But I found that if I was close enough to see the stage, I didn't look at them, and if I wasn't, I was thankful for them. Also, some bands really put them to great use. (Aquabat's video show was insane.)

-The new signs in front of the food stands...easy to read all your options without having to walk by them all.

-Well marked street signs in the campgrounds along with a map. (Just put them on both sides of the poles next time.) Also, the slanted streets were great if you were in that area...having them all lead to the entrance was neat.

-Just in general, they finally came up with a "lobby" area that worked, with just lockers, merch and information.

-Was it my imagination, or did the beer garden fence between the Outdoor and Main come out more? It let you actually view either stage fairly well from within the garden.

-Darker campgrounds! Almost too dark, but I'll be prepared next year. This isn't really "new", just a return to form.

-No reason for me to go to the Sahara! I know some people were unhappy by the schedule, but I enjoyed never having to trek down there. All of the acts I would have normally gone to the Sahara to see were in the Mojave or Gobi.

-Using the old Gobi as food court seating...brilliant and thrifty.

-Newcastle Brown Ale!

And a few minor complaints/suggestions...

-As great as the Terrace area was, I miss being able to listen to (or watch, in the case of the Outdoor) a set while eating dinner. I think the benefits outweigh the drawbacks, though Also, there were a lot of picnic tables still out in the sun even though there was room for more on the grass under the tent. No one wants to sit in the sun any more than necessary, and the majority of people eating on the grass do it because there are no tables, not because they choose to.

-The dome placement still seemed...weird. Also, The Do Lab was constantly packed, while the one time I checked the dome, it was virtually empty. I'm sure that changed later on, but are both really necessary? I'm probably not the guy to ask. Also, I usually go in the Do Lab once or twice even though I'm not into the music, but this year's design was not inviting. I felt like there were just 1000 people who holed up in there all weekend and it just felt like someone else's club that was plopped in the way and bled Ntzzz all over the main stage.

There's more, but I'm falling asleep...

fatbastard
04-18-2011, 07:46 PM
I really enjoyed the cameras being pointed outside towards the mountains while stages were being changed.

moomoo
04-18-2011, 08:01 PM
My only beef was with the Do Lab this year. It was such a bitch to go get wet in there. Had to push your way through the crowd to get blasted with the 2 or 3 water guns they had going up in the front. The water-shooting pillar things that were outside didn't work for most of the day on the first day, and when they started working again, they were aimed towards people walking past the Lab. I simultaneously felt like a dick for squirting people who didn't want to get wet and disappointed for not being able to quickly get wet and nasty. Last year it was easy to get drenched.

Oh well, still a great year.

kimmaylynn
04-18-2011, 08:12 PM
The dome needs some more shade and grass, the plywood floor felt really gross after being on the grass all day. The netting and leaf ceiling did not cut it for afternoon sets, the heat was intolerable. Or get some water sprayers for the dome like the do lab. I really overall like the new food court area.

frazzles
04-18-2011, 08:13 PM
I don't understand why people will say "Why the Do Lab AND the Dome?" It's basically like saying "Why have the main stage, outdoor theater, and gobi tent?"

chiapet
04-18-2011, 08:21 PM
I agree with everything Marc said except the newcastle. :)

Practically everything was better than last year - overall the logistics of the venue and camping were the best for the years I've gone. A few specific things: camping entry/check-in wait times were better than last year; more showers, within each lot was good; toilets in campgrounds were seemingly constantly being cleaned; bigger tents; addition of food court to venue / opening the walkway through the food court; more toilets.

A few things that still need some work:
Water refill stations... practically every other festival gives away free water and has multiple refill stations sufficient to serve their crowd capacity. I don't understand why GV fails to address this. Sure, there is some money to be made by charging $2 per water, but it creates tons of garbage -- not just a major cleanup task but also by mid-day the venue is looking pretty trashed with empties everywhere.

The Do Lab design was really awful. I feel like they lost perspective that the only reason MOST people stop by the Do Lab is for shade and mist/water. If they're going to have just one big tent, there needs to be mist or other water features throughout.

The dome is lovely but was brutal in the afternoon sun. There was some net/foilage stuff on the top, even having that covering more of the dome (or covering more densely) would have been an improvement.

GolfWang
04-18-2011, 08:25 PM
Pretty much everything was improved this year. My only complaint is that all the food seemed to be about 1-2 dollars more expensive than years past... or am I just imagining things? I could have sworn pretzels and churros were only 4 dollars last year instead of 5. Has Spicy Pie always been 7 dollars a slice?

Hawkings
04-18-2011, 08:56 PM

Practically everything was better than last year - overall the logistics of the venue and camping were the best for the years I've gone. A few specific things: camping entry/check-in wait times were better than last year; more showers, within each lot was good; toilets in campgrounds were seemingly constantly being cleaned; bigger tents; addition of food court to venue / opening the walkway through the food court; more toilets.

Water refill stations... practically every other festival gives away free water and has multiple refill stations sufficient to serve their crowd capacity. I don't understand why GV fails to address this. Sure, there is some money to be made by charging $2 per water, but it creates tons of garbage -- not just a major cleanup task but also by mid-day the venue is looking pretty trashed with empties everywhere.

The Do Lab design was really awful. I feel like they lost perspective that the only reason MOST people stop by the Do Lab is for shade and mist/water. If they're going to have just one big tent, there needs to be mist or other water features throughout.

The dome is lovely but was brutal in the afternoon sun. There was some net/foilage stuff on the top, even having that covering more of the dome (or covering more densely) would have been an improvement.

QFT,
i wonder if something could be done about the trash, seemed like more bottles on the ground than the past. Who the hell is gonna pick up 10 bottles, walk half the polo grounds and wait in line for 1 freebie. Somehow get people to pick up their trash. The refillable water thing didn't seem as well set up as last year either when they had tents you walk in with the refillable bottles. Was GV trying to make more on H20 this year? ! ? As a side issue i'm not enough into EDM to know but when Sahara was so lightly filled i was wondering if the dancers were all at the Dome or Do Lab this year

newcastle was great after the sun went down, someday we'll get Stone Brewery stuff or Sierra

SP The Ghost
04-18-2011, 09:42 PM
Shade the dome, but don't change anything else.

CrimesceneCookie
04-18-2011, 11:10 PM
I get that dubstep is huge now, but dubstep in the Dome, the Do Lab and the Sahara all at the same time?

Couldn't hear very much in the Dome unless you were directly inside of it, so it wasn't very inviting.

Everything else I loved.

elChurro
04-19-2011, 12:13 AM
Sound bleed is better than closed tents.

desire
04-19-2011, 12:16 AM
Get rid of the dome yeah right. Saturday they had some bad ass artists in that tent what are you talking about?

ELECtROjan
04-19-2011, 12:16 AM
1. More bathrooms near the Sahara

2. Put 21+ wristband on the OPPOSITE hand of festival pass

Gribbz
04-19-2011, 12:19 AM

I cannot stress this enough.

weeklymix
04-19-2011, 12:20 AM
Make me look older so the ID Check tents stop trying to confiscate my ID.

Oh you mean with the festival... shade on the outdoor stage would be cool but with regards to logistics / cattle herding: stay gold GV.

ELECtROjan
04-19-2011, 12:24 AM
the misters in the Sahara/Mojave beer garden were pretty awesome.

thetonio
04-19-2011, 01:29 AM
I'm surprised more people haven't stated that they much preferred last year's water system to this one. The increased wait times meant I drained much more money on water this year.

Stefachink
04-19-2011, 03:48 AM
Lose the dome?

Dome was so much fun. this is the first year i was more impressed by the music/energy in the do lab and dome than the sahara

Agreed. This really wasn't a great year for me but I was glad the music in the Do LaB and the Dome kept me sane. For the Dome, more shade and more decorations!

I really enjoyed the cameras being pointed outside towards the mountains while stages were being changed.

Yes! The videographers were great this year!

The Energy Factory stage should be placed elsewhere. While I was waiting for CSS, I was convinced (and pretty shocked) that Caspa would drop a Goldfrapp track. Until I realized it was coming from the Energy Factory and not the Sahara lol.

emllik
04-19-2011, 04:01 AM
I thought the Do-Lab design was much improved. I don't think it bled over too much to Mojave/Gobi, but it did seem like sound bleed was more of an issue this year than last. Stages were larger, sound systems obviously bigger, but I felt there was more bleed to the Outdoor from the main. The Gobi got it from three sides, from the Do-Lab, the tape truck, and Mojave. Phantogram was basically inaudible, and Scala was getting a lot of interference, even though we were super close.

Consult Belle and Sebastian on the sound of the Foo Fighters drifting over the polo fields if you think the main stage bleed is any worse this year than any other year. Honestly, it didn't seem bad to me. I could hear the Strokes playing Last Night entirely just before PJ Harvey came on. Not as bad as you might expect

GuyInTucson
04-19-2011, 05:25 AM
Get rid of the dome yeah right. Saturday they had some bad ass artists in that tent what are you talking about?

Could've fooled me, but to each their own. My gripe is more with the sound system for the dome. It's supposed to be a stage centered around bass music and the system had weak bass and, as a whole, wasn't loud enough.

Donaldj
04-19-2011, 05:36 AM
You didn't spend enough time in there. The bass was great inside the dome itself during Mount Kimbie, Goth Trad, High Contrast, DJ Hype, SBTRKT, Zinc, Take and Lorn. I will admit I walked by a few times early in the day and especially on friday afternoon where I thought it needed to be louder but during the sets I saw I was more than happy. I do agree the dome needs more work if it comes back next year, especially in the shade department. For the most part the majority of the artists on that stage are not very well known and it's hard to attract a crowd when the sun is blazing hot. Most people who check out the do lab do it to cool off and get wet. I think the dome needs a similar schtick.

Memorial_07
04-19-2011, 06:04 AM
Make sure the sound system is in perfect working order on the main stage. The ol "our crew wasn't doing their job" excuse is played out.

Leave the screens in every tent. Best change of the weekend.

RobertL
04-19-2011, 06:10 AM
Have tents that let the cigarette smoke out at the top. By the end of the night you can choke on cig smoke in the Sahara from everyone smoking in it all day.

joshc
04-19-2011, 07:58 AM
Most everything was great this year -- from the streamlined entrances to the integrated artwork at the mainstage and sahara. This might not even be in GV's control, but my only complaint is that they hire armies of workers to direct people to a parking spot in the morning and barely anyone to direct the chaotic exit at the end of the night.

I still have a little post-traumatic stress from the ordeal of escaping the distant lot on Saturday night.

GuyInTucson
04-19-2011, 08:44 AM
You didn't spend enough time in there. The bass was great inside the dome itself during Mount Kimbie, Goth Trad, High Contrast, DJ Hype, SBTRKT, Zinc, Take and Lorn. I will admit I walked by a few times early in the day and especially on friday afternoon where I thought it needed to be louder but during the sets I saw I was more than happy. I do agree the dome needs more work if it comes back next year, especially in the shade department. For the most part the majority of the artists on that stage are not very well known and it's hard to attract a crowd when the sun is blazing hot. Most people who check out the do lab do it to cool off and get wet. I think the dome needs a similar schtick.

I was there for Hype and Zinc (In fact, I think Ivy posted a pic up of both of us at Zinc and tagged both of us in it, if you are indeed that Donald) and it just seemed like the sound system was lagging. When you were closer it sounded better, but it seemed to fade away faster than the other stages (inccluding the do lab) when you distanced yourself from it. When I was sitting at the benches in the covered area I could hear sound bleed from the do lab and it overpowered whomever was playing at the dome at the time.

PlayaDelWes
04-19-2011, 08:47 AM
Maybe a little more water on the ground to settle the dust or more grass in the new area, especially between the new area and the entrance. Every time walking through there I had to cover my mouth / nose with my shirt.

betao
04-19-2011, 08:48 AM
Coachella improved greatly this year. My only thoughts though:

- A note about the security searches upon entry - the people searching bags need to be reminded that sticking their hands into bag to conduct searches is a potentially huge liability risk on the festival (in the event that something in the bag goes "missing").

- 10 for 1 water exchange: I did this all weekend, it was awesome and a great way to save money/recycle, but it got crowded at times. There was only one tent, could they set up another tent for it? Also, list somewhere the time it closes down. Myself and a few others were the victim of finding a deserted tent at night.

- Some kind of shade/misters for the dome. I liked most everything I heard in the dome, but shade/misters would've made it a fantastic alternative to other places during the day.

- 2nded on the food being overly expensive. I know its a festival and all, but it really did seem more expensive than in years past.

socalguy100
04-19-2011, 08:51 AM
Everything was 1000 times better this year than last. My only complaint is that the "guest/artist" areas in front of the Gobi and Mojave stages were too large and mostly unoccupied during many sets. Those areas need to be a lot smaller.

thenoiboi
04-19-2011, 08:53 AM

qft

venturas90sgirl
04-19-2011, 08:54 AM
As far as the water stations go it would be nice to have more of them bit at the same time I was still ponying up the 2$ in order to get a nice cold water.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
04-19-2011, 08:58 AM
Outdoor
Theater
shade

This.

Coachella improved greatly this year. My only thoughts though:

- A note about the security searches upon entry - the people searching bags need to be reminded that sticking their hands into bag to conduct searches is a potentially huge liability risk on the festival (in the event that something in the bag goes "missing").

- 10 for 1 water exchange: I did this all weekend, it was awesome and a great way to save money/recycle, but it got crowded at times. There was only one tent, could they set up another tent for it? Also, list somewhere the time it closes down. Myself and a few others were the victim of finding a deserted tent at night.

- Some kind of shade/misters for the dome. I liked most everything I heard in the dome, but shade/misters would've made it a fantastic alternative to other places during the day.

- 2nded on the food being overly expensive. I know its a festival and all, but it really did seem more expensive than in years past.

The food was much more expensive this year. Because my wife and I were on a budget, we made sure we had a large lunch before coming in and just had water the whole time at the festival.

I thought the soundbleed this year was the least its been since ever...In year's past the Mojave suffered because of the Sahara but there was no issue with that this year for me.

narek23
04-19-2011, 09:07 AM
A lot of improvements this year, the only thing I'd change would be
1) Go back to last years water refill solution, this year I found myself buying water to avoid the hassle of refilling with not cold water

and I'd love outdoor stage shade although i dont see it happening, i missed acts i may have checked out otherwise

venturas90sgirl
04-19-2011, 09:19 AM
I don't see the shade happening for Outdoor either. However it was nice to see some of tbe sound issues rectified. Though being out there Friday afternoon for!!! And Titus was fucking brutal.

Vic Viper
04-19-2011, 11:01 AM
change:
-the way security is informed about the fucking rules. yet again this year we were told by GV/Coachella staffers that it was totally cool to camp/drive as a group but as soon as we arrived in camp the neanderthals in security gave us a bunch of shit. i overheard/saw several others having run-ins with security because they simply refused to acknowledge or were ignorant of the rules about the festival
-shade the dome a little better, or at least have it so the stage setup blocks the sun rather than having it face the sun
-PUT SPICY PIE BACK INSIDE THE FESTIVAL GROUNDS WTF
-please have the posters of previous years up in the entrance again, and if possible move the entrance back to that small hill with the palm trees. it felt weird not coming down that small slope and seeing the whole grounds laid out in front of you
-turn the do lab back into a destination to cool off, this year the design was just...awkward
-move the energy factory away from the sahara, perhaps out into the front lobby/merch area; its just bothersome where it is now

do not change:
-using the old gobi tent as shade in the eating area; this was a genius move
-the additional checkpoints
-the campgrounds set up, especially with the right 2/3s of Lot 8 being angled toward the entrance, very nice
-the number of stages, 6 is a perfect number to keep the crowds manageable save the occasional ultra-popular act in a venue too small
-the added flooring in the dome, i really appreciated this and it was an additional sensory input as the wood would vibrate with the bass
-just about everything else

GuyInTucson
04-19-2011, 11:08 AM
change:
-PUT SPICY PIE BACK INSIDE THE FESTIVAL GROUNDS WTF

It was there.

chiapet
04-19-2011, 11:13 AM
-the added flooring in the dome, i really appreciated this and it was an additional sensory input as the wood would vibrate with the bass

Yea, I LOVED that too actually. I think if they would have set up over just grass or dirt, it would have gotten pretty dusty in there too.

emllik
04-19-2011, 11:16 AM
As far as the Dome goes, it seemed a little tight where it was put, wedged into a corner between the food court, the eatery tent, the ferris wheel, and the beer garden. Sitting in the bleachers at the beer garden, you get the treble of the Sahara, with the bass of the Dome. Not the best combination. Also, I tried to catch Beardyman in the Dome, and his set seemed pretty awkward as soon as it started, so I ended up splitting. Something decidedly uncomfortable about the Dome for me this year.

nathanfairchild
04-19-2011, 11:18 AM
As far as the Dome goes, it seemed a little tight where it was put, wedged into a corner between the food court, the eatery tent, the ferris wheel, and the beer garden. Sitting in the bleachers at the beer garden, you get the treble of the Sahara, with the bass of the Dome. Not the best combination. Also, I tried to catch Beardyman in the Dome, and his set seemed pretty awkward as soon as it started, so I ended up splitting. Something decidedly uncomfortable about the Dome for me this year.

NO WAY!!! something else you didn't like

Kyliediscope
04-19-2011, 11:19 AM
My complaints:
-My clasp on my wristband broke on Thursday. I am thankful it happened then and was able to fix it before the festival started because I know someone that ended up waiting two hours to get hers fixed and she missed a few must see acts.
-The dome was brutal. I left Take early because the sun was murdering me. I had to take breaks during High Contrast because I thought I was going to pass out.

frazzles
04-19-2011, 11:20 AM
I'm thinking that the Dome had the bass turned down to prevent everyone bitching about sound bleed. To be honest, compared to years past, I think all the stages were turned down for the most part. Normally I have to walk around with earplugs all weekend.

Vic Viper
04-19-2011, 11:22 AM
It was there.
where at? i know it was in the campgrounds, but the only places i saw pizza was that other place who's name i didn't bother to remember.

nathanfairchild
04-19-2011, 11:23 AM
^ did you try the beer gardens?

emllik
04-19-2011, 11:24 AM
I'm thinking that the Dome had the bass turned down to prevent everyone bitching about sound bleed. To be honest, compared to years past, I think all the stages were turned down for the most part. Normally I have to walk around with earplugs all weekend.

With the exception of Lauryn Hill and Kanye West's microphones, I would have to agree. Crystal Castles sounded fucking awesome this year, compared to '09, and I attribute that fact in part to Alice's mic being turned down. It didn't hurt at all to turn it down a bit, especially with the ease of access to most stages during most sets.

Vic Viper
04-19-2011, 11:25 AM
^ did you try the beer gardens?
no, i don't bother with the beer gardens. i guess thats what i get for not checking them out. dang.

emllik
04-19-2011, 11:26 AM
where at? i know it was in the campgrounds, but the only places i saw pizza was that other place who's name i didn't bother to remember.

There was the Greek Pizza, or whatever it was, in the Beer Gardens. The food area between The Dome and the entrance to the venue had a Spicey Pie stand, but the food court between the Outdoor and Gobi didn't have one. I wanted the Freshed Squeezed Lemonade and mexican food place inside the venue, so I could smaak out on some jalepeno and cheese tamales. Oh well =)

emllik
04-19-2011, 11:27 AM
NO WAY!!! something else you didn't like

Awww feeling unable to express yourself in thoughts that don't revolve around sarcasm and your ultimate insecurity with posting thoughts of your own? We feel your pain, bruva, in every post you submit.

nathanfairchild
04-19-2011, 11:30 AM
With the exception of Lauryn Hill and Kanye West's microphones, I would have to agree. Crystal Castles sounded fucking awesome this year, compared to '09, and I attribute that fact in part to Alice's mic being turned down. It didn't hurt at all to turn it down a bit, especially with the ease of access to most stages during most sets.

also the reason that CC was so good was because their new album is way less screechy, and most of the set was from that, which i loved.

emllik
04-19-2011, 11:36 AM
also the reason that CC was so good was because their new album is way less screechy, and most of the set was from that, which i loved.

Yeah, I was noticing that on youtube when I started my rounds of seeing who's who this year. They played Crime Wave amazingly this year, compared to '09. Don't get me wrong.... I loved '09 the most.... just that they were one of the most disappointing acts I'd waited to see. This year made up for it, and I'm glad I was there =)

r4chchella
04-19-2011, 12:41 PM
Overall, almost everything seemed so much better than last year. I loved the fact that during Arcade Fire and Animal Collective (all weekend actually) everyone in our group could stand and dance together near the sign for the main stage and not feel completely crowded like last year.
Security overall was better this year, only got patted down once and I don't think they ever even opened the small pockets on my backpack, but at around 7 on Sunday night I was waiting in line to get in from the campgrounds for about 20 minutes and everyone was yelling and pissed, I still don't know what was taking so long.
Security also seemed really fuzzy on what the actual rules were for bringing things in... a friend brought in an empty huge water bottle at one point and later on a security guy told him that there was a sudden "new rule" about the size of containers and he had to trash it. It seems weird to me too that they wouldn't let us bring in an empty camelback or spray bottle, but you can bring in empty water bottles. Still didn't affect us since we just snuck them in. Still, this year was so much more organized and that really made the whole weekend more enjoyable.

GuyInTucson
04-19-2011, 01:18 PM

Not just the beer gardens, but I got a slice in the food court next to the Gobi tent.

KickerConspiracy
04-19-2011, 01:46 PM
And a few minor complaints/suggestions...

-As great as the Terrace area was, I miss being able to listen to (or watch, in the case of the Outdoor) a set while eating dinner. I think the benefits outweigh the drawbacks, though Also, there were a lot of picnic tables still out in the sun even though there was room for more on the grass under the tent. No one wants to sit in the sun any more than necessary, and the majority of people eating on the grass do it because there are no tables, not because they choose to.

THIS. Last year my favorite area to watch the Outdoor from was the food court. Desite the food court area shade, it would be great to have more shade at/near the Outdoor.

chiapet
04-19-2011, 01:56 PM
I missed that comment of Marc's... I actually really liked having a covered food section where you couldn't see any of the main stages. It meant being able to have shade while I actually was eating, versus having people camped out there watching bands (without eating). More shade by the stages is always nice, but I am very in favor of the food court.

emllik
04-19-2011, 02:00 PM
I missed that comment of Marc's... I actually really liked having a covered food section where you couldn't see any of the main stages. It meant being able to have shade while I actually was eating, versus having people camped out there watching bands (without eating). More shade by the stages is always nice, but I am very in favor of the food court.

This is what was killing the beer garden, really. People just camping out in the shade. You go up to get a beer, walk through seventy-five people, three of them with beer, seven with food, sixty-five just hanging out? There were never actually lines for beer, which was pretty cool. I was always able to walk right up to someone to grab a beer, before standing in the sun checking out the Sahara because all the shade was taken by consta-chillers

chiapet
04-19-2011, 02:07 PM
The beer gardens have always been like that though, and I don't think there is a way to get around that. How could they possibly police it? If I've *just* finished my drink, haven't I bought the right to hang around for a few minutes? Wouldn't people just figure out that they could sit around holding the same warm beer for an hour in order to have shade? All more reasons I wish you could just walk around with your drinks at Coachella like every other festival. :)

emllik
04-19-2011, 02:12 PM
The beer gardens have always been like that though, and I don't think there is a way to get around that. How could they possibly police it? If I've *just* finished my drink, haven't I bought the right to hang around for a few minutes? Wouldn't people just figure out that they could sit around holding the same warm beer for an hour in order to have shade? All more reasons I wish you could just walk around with your drinks at Coachella like every other festival. :)

That's the only solution. If you're an alcoholic (cough), you're not sitting around with a partial warm beer... you're swigging the swill, and swimming over for another. Having beer stands throughout the entire festival would be the ultimate solution. Closing the beer garden down at 10 on Friday so they can draw a line in the sand between GA and VIP? Fuck that. That was the biggest pile of horse shit I saw all weekend, and there was plenty of horse shit floating around the campsite.

socalguy100
04-19-2011, 02:41 PM
no, i don't bother with the beer gardens. i guess thats what i get for not checking them out. dang.

You could have gotten your spicy pie fix in two places - with the food vendors next to the Gobi and also near the Ruths Chris in the larger food area. There was another non-spicy pie pizza vendor too, in the beer garden and in the large food vending area.

Vic Viper
04-19-2011, 02:46 PM
You could have gotten your spicy pie fix in two places - with the food vendors next to the Gobi and also near the Ruths Chris in the larger food area. There was another non-spicy pie pizza vendor too, in the beer garden and in the large food vending area.
i made up by eating a shitload of it in the campgrounds.

emllik
04-19-2011, 02:49 PM
I had one spicey pie this year that was just too damn spicey. I still ate the whole thing, and enjoyed it completely... but got damn that was a spicey spicey pie.

thombjork
04-19-2011, 03:57 PM
NY pizza in the beer garden across from the tents was TITS.

the westo pesto pizza and an ice cold 9 dollar heineken hit the spot.

Yookeroo
04-19-2011, 04:40 PM
Have tents that let the cigarette smoke out at the top. By the end of the night you can choke on cig smoke in the Sahara from everyone smoking in it all day.

How about banning smoking in the tents instead.

aphrael
04-19-2011, 04:45 PM
How about banning smoking in the tents instead.

That seems like an unenforceable rule. Not having unenforceable rules tends to lead to a better experience for all concerned. :)

thewoodenman
04-19-2011, 04:47 PM
keep everything the same. or make it even better if that's possible. i loved it all.

edit: scratch that, how bout a 4-day-chella ;)

Radiohead
04-19-2011, 04:55 PM
Things were pretty great this year, but I guess there's always room to improve. More shaded area in the beer gardens might be nice. As has been said, a couple more water filling stations would be really excellent.

Also, some unrealistic stuff like doing Coachella twice a year or adding an extra day would be killer.

bluemamba
04-19-2011, 04:57 PM
The only thing i can think of is longer set times. 40 minutes from sub headliners is ridiculous.

DJ Sin
04-19-2011, 05:43 PM
I really liked the Dome, back in 2007 when Marky Ramone, Kevin Haskins, David J, Lady Miss Kier were deejaying. It was a special treat to see them deejay.

I spent most of my time Mojave tent. I caught one act at the Outdoor stage and that was it.

I wish the Do Lab, Sahara tent and the dome were located some where else.

The Rose Garden VIP area is nice but is very under utilized (which is also nice but kinda bad). I did not care for all the dubstep in the Sahara, sometimes it's nice to have different genres in there and actual bands in that Sahara. Trentemoller, Presents, Ratatat, Leftfield would have been awesome in there! It would have made hanging out in the VIP area a lot easier to tolerate than the booming noise of whomp, whomp, whomp.

The food kinds sucked this year (EXCEPT KOGI (please have them back!))

The good things about fest, the opening of the layout and getting in and out were a lot easier this year.

nationocean
04-19-2011, 06:09 PM
add Thursday to the festival please..

WhyTheLongFace
04-19-2011, 06:19 PM
Sound bleed from the energy workers DJ shit during SASHA sucked balls. Outdoor and main needed more rocking sound

Cosmosis of the liver
04-19-2011, 06:27 PM
how about GV gets sound guys who aren't mentally handicapped. My friend and I left black keys early (one of the sets I was most looking forward to) because the sound was so butchered.

Although the speakers at the front of the outdoor stage for the people in the front row were fucking rad. put those in all the other tents please.

This made me cry. Such a great band and it was impossible to enjoy the way they should be.:nono

GuyInTucson
04-20-2011, 12:20 PM
No to a four day festival. Three days is just perfect.

GuyInTucson
04-20-2011, 12:27 PM
Sound bleed from the energy workers DJ shit during SASHA sucked balls. Outdoor and main needed more rocking sound

I really do enjoy EDM and have for over a decade, but it's getting to overkill levels at Coachella. The Sahara, Do-Lab, Oasis, Heineken Dome, whatever that bus thing is called that played trance all weekend it seemed, the energy factory and Sunday night in the Mojave Tent.

This is just my opinion, but The Energy Factory needs to go. It takes up too much space and, like WhyTheLongFace alluded to, the sound bleeds into the other tents.

captncrzy
04-20-2011, 01:08 PM
I agree. Way too heavy on the EDM this year. When you have so many acts on the schedule that you have to put Leftfield in the Mohave, it's a sign that it's time to cut back.

GuyInTucson
04-20-2011, 01:12 PM
I wondered what type of response I would get for saying that. I am glad I am not alone.

And I love my fair share of EDM. I just felt like this year had just a bit too much of it.

wstsidela
04-20-2011, 01:23 PM
I get that dubstep is huge now, but dubstep in the Dome, the Do Lab and the Sahara all at the same time?

Wurd! Now that I know what Dub Step is I hate it. Sounds like a spaceship hit a tool shed.

spiggums
04-20-2011, 01:43 PM
I wondered what type of response I would get for saying that. I am glad I am not alone.

And I love my fair share of EDM. I just felt like this year had just a bit too much of it.

I get what you're saying, and could support this so long as if they brought the level back down that they focused on the good stuff... Way too much crap booked in the Sahara this year which made the EDM in other tents very much so welcome.

Gribbz
04-20-2011, 01:45 PM
Less dubstep.

I.F.A.
04-20-2011, 01:51 PM
Less dubstep.

SERIOUSLY. It was inescapable.

unknown
04-20-2011, 01:53 PM
I would love it if there were some type of system through the app or text messages where we received updates regarding acts at different stages. Just really basic information such as an act keeps playing past their time, or if it looks as though someone is going to start late. Maybe people from the board that are at the festival all day and have full schedules can be the main members posting things. I guess people could set up a groupme for that purpose or we could utilize the board more often - but some type of bulletin board or something with that type of info would be helpful in allowing you to catch some of an act you didn't think you could catch, or you could stay where you are longer.

I don't know.... it just popped into my head while thinking about how I left Sasha early and ended up waiting for a while for Chemical Brothers to start. Also, standing for 45 minutes waiting for Mount Kimbie kind of sucked. Or heading over to catch the last 5 minutes of Raphael Saadiq to get a good spot for Daedelus but it was really more like 15 or 20 due to going over.

eskamo951
04-20-2011, 02:16 PM
The Energy Factory had some serious noise bleed. I usually walk towards the Sahara until I can hear what's being played and then decide if I want to go in, but this year I had to be almost inside the Sahara to hear the music over the Energy Factory at certain times.

Bring back the moving spotlights from 2008.

Bring Back the Cubitron. Last year, the issue was getting trampled by people. If it were moved to the west of the Sahara (near the beer garden) there wouldn't be an issue with traffic flow. The ceiling of the Sahara was cool and all, but it didn't light up with all the acts, and it was programmed to go with the music. The Cubitron is just much more amazing to watch, with it's dozens of patterns and various shows despite what is being played in the Sahara.

Don't change anything else. When I can come up with only 3 changes, then you clearly did an amazing job! The dust was also an issue, but what can you do when you stop watering grass in the desert and then have 80,000 people walk all over it?

Don't change: camping lot 8 layout, larger festival grounds with crowd size, expanded spotlights into the campgrounds, lights on the palm trees, wristband security, ferris wheel, free water stations (fix crowd control), large shaded food tent, and pretty much everything else.

sleepybrew
04-20-2011, 02:57 PM
well done on most accounts GV. Crowd amount and space were perfect. Production and lights always top notch. All the negative issues last year were largely resolved. Thank you for all the time and effort everyone puts into creating such an amazing experience

GuyInTucson
04-20-2011, 08:43 PM
Less dubstep.

SERIOUSLY. It was inescapable.

I agree.

I actually think GV should establish a Skrillex dunk tank and instead of falling in water it's a pool full of sulfuric acid.

frizzlefry
04-20-2011, 09:01 PM
I'm not even that opposed to dubstep but by Sunday afternoon with the DoLab and Caspa, it was just getting old.

joshc
04-20-2011, 09:03 PM
All more reasons I wish you could just walk around with your drinks at Coachella like every other festival. :)

I agree that there's something a bit weird about having just a few drinking areas, but as puritanical as it might sound I really think that not having people wandering the grounds with drinks contributes to making the crowds at Coachella so much better behaved and generally pleasant to be around than most other festivals.

rskapcat
04-21-2011, 04:56 AM
Think about how much trash is already all over the ground by mid-day. Then factor in beer cups. No thanks.