PDA

View Full Version : Explain to me DFA 1979....

Changoloco
04-18-2011, 10:09 AM
I watched their webcast for a while. I admit, I am getting older but, still, I am very open-minded to music. I couldn't stand listening to them for more than 2 minutes at a time. It was very noisy and the vocals were high-pitched screaming. I am not making fun, I am just trying to understand. Go ahead, flame me or whatever but, educating me would work better. What is it that you guys love about this band?

Thanks in advance.

Grant
04-18-2011, 10:10 AM
if you don't like it you don't like it and don't have to listen to it just because.

rasooli
04-18-2011, 10:12 AM
Im with you....I never understood why they have such a large following. Im not much of a punk rock fan though, so thats probably the reason why.

fatbastard
04-18-2011, 10:16 AM
It's funny you say that considering every song is around 2 minutes long.

Changoloco
04-18-2011, 10:17 AM
if you don't like it you don't like it and don't have to listen to it just because.

Thanks, that helps so much.

rasooli
04-18-2011, 10:19 AM
Hahahaha

Grant
04-18-2011, 10:19 AM
welcome :lips

Changoloco
04-18-2011, 10:23 AM
welcome :lips

I often listen to music that I don't like because I work in the music industry. Rather than getting old and getting out of touch with the next generation's music, I try to understand it. I know that it seemed like a strange question but, I noticed that a lot of people on here loved these guys. I was trying to understand why. Again, with no prejudice.

Sleeping Lion
04-18-2011, 10:29 AM
I was in the front and I think they sounded great. You said you listened to the webcast. Have you at all checked the album out?
It was more of reunion for the fans. They could have came out covering Gary Numan and I still would've enjoyed it.

dyltr0n3030
04-18-2011, 10:45 AM
I often listen to music that I don't like because I work in the music industry. Rather than getting old and getting out of touch with the next generation's music, I try to understand it. I know that it seemed like a strange question but, I noticed that a lot of people on here loved these guys. I was trying to understand why. Again, with no prejudice.

Why does one listen to the Beatles? It's mainly just one's musical preference.
Trying to actually think about why I like them took me a little, so here:

-Very catchy/distinct sounds and songs.
I really think their pretty "out their" compared to other bands. I feel like DFA79 has a different sound that stands out their, and appeals to a lot of people. It's new.

-their music is nuts. very energetic. danceable.
I saw a lot of people rocking out, headbanging, moshing and all that jazz. and then a lot of others just dancing. I guess everyone dances at performances but I noticed it a lot more at theirs. It sounds like a poppy punk rock and it's really doin it for a lot of people..

I'm trying to list another reason but I can't think of another without sounding redundant. Hope that helps! .... ?

Changoloco
04-18-2011, 10:50 AM
Why does one listen to the Beatles? It's mainly just one's musical preference.
Trying to actually think about why I like them took me a little, so here:

-Very catchy/distinct sounds and songs.
I really think their pretty "out their" compared to other bands. I feel like DFA79 has a different sound that stands out their, and appeals to a lot of people. It's new.

-their music is nuts. very energetic. danceable.
I saw a lot of people rocking out, headbanging, moshing and all that jazz. and then a lot of others just dancing. I guess everyone dances at performances but I noticed it a lot more at theirs. It sounds like a poppy punk rock and it's really doin it for a lot of people..

I'm trying to list another reason but I can't think of another without sounding redundant. Hope that helps! .... ?

Thank you for being helpful.

dyltr0n3030
04-18-2011, 10:54 AM
Thank you for being helpful.

I like helping others I guess.

JAvina1283
04-18-2011, 11:56 AM
You had to be there to experience what they're like. They're one of the best 2 man bands I've seen in a long time. New album please!!!

MissingPerson
04-18-2011, 12:11 PM
I'm a huge fan, but I wasn't blown away by the webcast TBH. I don't know if it was the sound or something, but I could almost feel something being lost in translation and I couldn't figure out quite what it was.

I like them because they pair all that crazy ass energy with a surprising amount of wit, heart and humour in the lyrics. I don't think they're the kind of band that grows on you though, I think they're either your bag or they're not.

Cooper
04-18-2011, 12:20 PM
I'm a huge fan, but I wasn't blown away by the webcast TBH. I don't know if it was the sound or something, but I could almost feel something being lost in translation and I couldn't figure out quite what it was.

I like them because they pair all that crazy ass energy with a surprising amount of wit, heart and humour in the lyrics. I don't think they're the kind of band that grows on you though, I think they're either your bag or they're not.

I think being there in person was the only way to go. The energy, vibe, and loudness of the music made it seem amazing. You can't really get that out of a webcast sitting at home, even if you're a fan. But yeah I agree with you. I think a lot of people love them for the experience of their live show, rather than just the music alone. It's one hell of a time.

JelloPuddingChat
04-18-2011, 12:23 PM
They were great, but I still think they needed to be much louder. I'm not just talking about the beginning of the set either. They needed to be the loudest thing at Coachella. Lightning Bolt ended up being the loudest and they were in the Gobi!

MissingPerson
04-18-2011, 12:25 PM
I think being there in person was the only way to go. The energy, vibe, and loudness of the music made it seem amazing. You can't really get that out of a webcast sitting at home, even if you're a fan. But yeah I agree with you. I think a lot of people love them for the experience of their live show, rather than just the music alone. It's one hell of a time.

Right, but even in terms of webcasts, I felt like this one failed to quite capture the momentum. As good as the rest of the Coachella stuff was this year, I felt like this one didn't quite hit the right frequency.

bmack86
04-18-2011, 12:42 PM
They were great, but I still think they needed to be much louder. I'm not just talking about the beginning of the set either. They needed to be the loudest thing at Coachella. Lightning Bolt ended up being the loudest and they were in the Gobi!

That shouldn't have been a surprise though. And what a set it was.

soybean
04-18-2011, 12:54 PM
We had a good spot for Nas and Damian Marley and decided to stay there until the Strokes. I had heard DFA before but was not expecting the crowd to be that crazy, haha! I am still so confused. The music seems more dancey than hardcore to me, but people were going nuts moshing and pushing. The volume seemed super low, and I was in the front. It was pretty fun/funny, though.

JamesMills
04-18-2011, 01:16 PM
They were one of my most anticipated acts and I was really disappointed. I had great seats near the rail too, but just felt that they weren't engaging at all. These were the same issues I had with The Strokes and Interpol, just personal preference I guess.

edit: and I'm sorry but that "moshpit" was lol. A bunch of hipsters jumping up and down and rubbing each other. We had the OFF! one going pretty good for the first songs at least.

IlliniQ
04-18-2011, 01:35 PM
They were one of my most anticipated acts and I was really disappointed. I had great seats near the rail too, but just felt that they weren't engaging at all. These were the same issues I had with The Strokes and Interpol, just personal preference I guess.

edit: and I'm sorry but that "moshpit" was lol. A bunch of hipsters jumping up and down and rubbing each other. We had the OFF! one going pretty good for the first songs at least.

Agree on all points...personally feel biggest scheduling mistake of festival was putting DFA on mainstage at six and National against Duran Duran at 7:20 instead of National into Duran Duran on Main Stage and DFA against Duran Duran at Outdoor.

I'm sure the DFA fans loved it, but I think a far great portion of the crowd would have been better served by pairing the simply superior National with the Main stage sound system.

The Strokes and Interpol to me are decent bands that bring nothing extra to their live performances. If you like the recorded versions of their songs, you'll like their live versions, and vice versa...nothing like Elbow/Arcade Fire/Foals/National this weekend, who took many of their songs and turned them into something much, much more.

JamesMills
04-18-2011, 01:42 PM
...nothing like Elbow/Arcade Fire/Foals/National this weekend, who took many of their songs and turned them into something much, much more.

Three of those four were my top three performances for the weekend, so I'm glad to know we're at least on the same page. I'm the same way in preferring a more intimate and reverent relationship between the performers and their admirers.