PDA

View Full Version : Thank you, Goldenvoice

rage patton
04-18-2011, 02:00 AM
This year was amazing. So many things, so I will just name a few and more can contribute.

The expanded grounds are fantastic. The new set up works great. The grounds never felt overcrowded and the set up just worked perfectly. Love it.

The new wristband system was amazing. Never had any wait whatsoever getting in and, based on what I heard from others, they had similar experiences.

Keeping out gatecrashers. This year definitely did not feel like 105,000. By keeping out the gatecrashers and expanding the grounds, the tents never got too overcrowded and, for the most part, the undesirables were kept out.

Bigger tents. Even though there were 30,000 less people there this year, the expanded tents were appreciated. The screens were great additions too.

Now your turn. What else was fantastic about this year? What changes do you hope they keep?

Thank you, Goldenvoice.

concertgoer
04-18-2011, 02:06 AM
I totally echo the point about the gate crashers
I never really felt boxed in like I did at some points last year. I was able to get fairly close for all three of my headlines without having to camp out so that was a big plus.

koryp
04-18-2011, 02:08 AM
Well said Rage

Thank you GV for no choke points walking to the Sahara. The new added area was aces.
Thank you for the massive shade area.
Thank you for showers. Seriously thank you! This was the perfect set up.

GuyInTucson
04-18-2011, 02:17 AM
Rage Patton, you said everything perfectly.

I came into this year knowing I was going to have a blast but I was blown away this year. The expanded grounds, the art work, the stage visuals, adding LED screens to the Mojave and Gobi tents, the covered Do-Lab to at least help a little with sound bleed, bringing the tesla coils back, keeping people from sneaking in (although Sunday seemed a bit more packed at the end of the day, but maybe that was just me), the tent above the benches in the expanded area near the food court, the new visuals in the Sahara, the fact that there was Newcastle beer in one of the normal beer gardens as well as wine and a tequilla bar..... I know I'm leaving a lot out too.

Seriously, props to GV. You guys made up for any shortcomings from last year and then some. At least that's how I feel.

fatbastard
04-18-2011, 02:19 AM
I think it was either the 8th or 9th Coachella this year. This year was seriously the best year.

nathanfairchild
04-18-2011, 02:26 AM
Last year was my first Coachella, so I has nothing really to compare it to, but holy hell this year felt completely different. From the smaller crowds, to the shorter lines at the shower, and of course the awesome music, this was a perfect festival. It means a lot when a company takes the time to address the issues we all had last year, and you don't really ever see that anymore. Thanks gv. :)

GuyInTucson
04-18-2011, 02:34 AM
Seriously people, there was another choice this year other than Heineken. That was awesome.

concertgoer
04-18-2011, 02:50 AM
I knew that they added vodka and tequilla drinks in different beer gardens, but I didn't realize until close till the end of the night the full bar in the beer garden by the entrance. Food trucks looked awesome too. Besides the sound- video kinks on the first day on the main this was a perfect fest. I can't wait for 2012!

thenoiboi
04-18-2011, 02:59 AM
having the tents open all along sides was great. for those sets where it did overflow a bit, people didn't have to get into that weird cone pattern that occured behind wherever the gaps were before.

Monko760
04-18-2011, 03:21 AM
Best year since 06 Big tents and sexy lights all around. The fucking palm trees dancing to the music was THE SHIT!

Mainstage epic. Chemical brothers raped, KoL was good for not being a fan, Black Keys were TIGHT as fuck, happy birthday patrick. Crystal castles fucking raped my ears and left me wanting so much more.

Saturday sucked seriously maybe it was the no sleep from frying all night but really didnt dig much and thats my problem.

Sunday was the shit! Damian and Nas, brought that shit proper in the heat! DFA fucking rocked hard!TRENTEMOLLER NEEDED A FUCKING BIGGER STAGE AND AUDIENCE WTF?!? Rattatat has really changed up alot of there sound and has become hella mature live since 06. Ducksauce was good... sounded like a trainwreck in the back of the sahara for some reason maybe it was me. THE STROKES fucking rocked out hard and with an awesome style of their own! THE BLOODY BEETROOTS DESTROYED!!! ABSOLUTELY KILLED SAHARA! Then I was dragged off to Kanye, he fucking hogged the show and rapped for an hour or so with no live music or anything really exciting besides his productions.

The end

Big ups to the guy who gave us the blunt wraps all out of nowhere when he was walking by and i said smoke a blunt. seriously like 10 blunt wraps wow go coachella!!

And to Thomas the guy from OC who made the Daft Punk helmet that shit was tight it was cool partying with you!

thenoiboi
04-18-2011, 03:35 AM
And to Thomas the guy from OC who made the Daft Punk helmet that shit was tight it was cool partying with you!

hey, i saw that dude. pretty sick. he seemed like a nice guy to when i heard him talkin to some folks.

gaypalmsprings
04-18-2011, 06:58 AM
Thanks Golden Voice for a job well done!!!!!

I feel lucky to have seen Clint. He made my day.

http://www.leifbaradoy.com/wp-content/uploads/do-you-feel-lucky-punk.png

dyltr0n3030
04-18-2011, 07:03 AM
It really was just a solid 3 days at Coachella. No hassles. Heat wasn't too bad.

Cheddar's Cousin
04-18-2011, 08:20 AM
My faith has been restored!

Everthing I wanted to say has been said.

Thanks!

guedita
04-18-2011, 09:10 AM
It became evident to me very quickly that the people who were the rudest and most disrespectful attendees in 2010 were not here this year and that they were obviously the gate crashers last year. The expanded grounds were much more impressive than I anticipated, the porta potties were very well taken care of, multiple routes to the Sahara/Mojave eased congestion. I was thoroughly impressed with how GV ran things. Seriously, thank you for listening to and fixing the complaints from '10.

PDXdev
04-18-2011, 09:28 AM
Just like everyone else is saying, great job! The expanded fields were excellent as well as the upgraded stages and tents.

The thing that impressed me the most, however, were the shuttles. Even on Sunday when everyone was leaving they were able to quickly and smoothly get everyone loaded on to the busses. I can't stress enough how amazing this made my experience. I was able to get in and out of the grounds ridiculously quickly everyday.

Ravingmad
04-18-2011, 10:17 AM
Man, all of the above. I can't say enough about how much better the lack of crowding made things. The combination of less people, less gatecrashers, and more space just changed the whole atmosphere for the better. And the layout was much improved with no chokepoints.

Plus the improved sahara, the bigger Mojave, the big food area by the lockers, the return of Fresher's lemonade, full bars in the beer gardens, how well the wristband system worked -- everything was just aces.

And yeah, the shuttle people deserve a damn medal. It was incredibly efficient how well they moved everyone out of there. They could have just done a normal job and had it take forever (and no one would have been surprised) but they clearly went above and beyond and had a ton of shuttles (even schoolbuses!) running like clockwork. And pleasant, funny people working crowd direction, too. Amazing.

BlackSwan
04-18-2011, 10:18 AM
Were the grounds kept cleaner than last year?

fatbastard
04-18-2011, 10:23 AM
Yes and no. It appeared like they told the clean up crew to pick up all the trash minus the plastic bottles. I tried to take a photo on my way to PJ last night to show all the plastic bottles on the floor.

gmoneyak
04-18-2011, 10:25 AM
Everything seemed to be amped up a bit and re-imagined, which was great. Having more room, and multiple routes, to the other end of the festival really helped out. The maps were more visable and helpful for parking, etc. Great fucking time.

The only lines I had to be in all weekend were for the hydration stations, but that was understandable.

guedita
04-18-2011, 10:44 AM
Were the grounds kept cleaner than last year?

There was certainly less food just left on the ground. People were actually throwing their food away/trash cans were being emptied more frequently. There will still lots of water bottles. But I saw a good amount of people doing the 10 for 1 water bottle exchange program and did it myself twice.

ivankay
04-18-2011, 10:50 AM
I think it was either the 8th or 9th Coachella this year. This year was seriously the best year.

Amen. Never a down moment. Always something wonderful to see and hear. The douchebag level went back all the way down. i knew old Coachella was back (with the greatest technological updates) when i went from the Main stage to the Outdoor at night and i could walk quickly through a happy crowd without interruption. Let the post Coachella depression begin.

grichsgang
04-18-2011, 10:58 AM
The sound was unbelievably good as well. Not sure I've ever heard cleaner sound out of concert speakers. I was well behind the soundboard for the keys and felt like I was listening through headphones (albeit loud ones).

thenoiboi
04-18-2011, 11:27 AM
And pleasant, funny people working crowd direction, too. Amazing.

these people were so damned cool this year! one guy even remembered us just from saying hi to him on our way into the festival.

at least three or four people each day said hello and goodnight to us every day. they didn't have to, but they sounded like they gave a shit. that was one of the coolest things about this year, especially after the asshole volunteers of '10.

Dede' Arneaux
04-18-2011, 11:31 AM
The sound was unbelievably good as well. Not sure I've ever heard cleaner sound out of concert speakers. I was well behind the soundboard for the keys and felt like I was listening through headphones (albeit loud ones).

Totally agree, even yesterday when the wind got up the sound was poifect.

On Saturday afternoon I said to myself, "self - this really is festival heaven".
Everything went so smoothly. The music is quite simply the most fantastic mix on offer- great headliners and a fabulous undercard. travel from palm springs was easy, it took less than 1 hour to be parked up. I never had to queue for food, drink or toilets. Even the water stations were easy to get in and out from. Plenty space to move around and shady areas when required. Lots of friendly people talking about music and no one causing trouble.

Wonderful weekend.

wstsidela
04-18-2011, 11:47 AM
Thanks for moving the DoLab. BTW It looked amazing at every angle especially at night. Was it my imagination or were the crowd smaller?

Thank you for the shortcut through the new food court. It really made getting from the main stage to the Sahara a breeze. I think my feet hurt less this year than the previous years. The Oasis Dome was a real treat too. Heard some new music & noshed. Doesn't get better than that.

CiderMouseRules
04-18-2011, 11:48 AM
Really, really terrific improvement in all matters organizational. Great to see that PT and GV reinvested into making the festival better. I've gone to every one since '05 and this was the least amount of hassle ever.

ghettosteez
04-18-2011, 11:55 AM
Guys...

FRESHERS!

bobchella
04-18-2011, 12:31 PM
Thanks for all the hard work GV. Every aspect of the festival was dramatically forward well beyond any expectation. See you next year!

Blinken
04-18-2011, 12:36 PM
This is all great news :)

braundiggity
04-18-2011, 12:55 PM
I echo basically everything that's been said. I'll also emphasize: a great, truly diverse, fascinating lineup. There were only a couple hours in the weekend where there was nothing I knew or cared about, and even in those slots, I generally found something (the end of Joy Formidable was stellar, for example).

This, '06, and '08 are my top three. Excellent all around.

dekelou
04-18-2011, 01:15 PM
No walls on the tents this year was such a great move. Best year out of the 3 I've been. I do think that having less (or no?) volunteers ramped up the festival professionalism a bit- all the people working- toll booth, lobby, clean up, shuttles, info, shuttles, info booth- were polite, friendly and positive. Can't wait till next year!

grichsgang
04-18-2011, 01:20 PM
I echo basically everything that's been said. I'll also emphasize: a great, truly diverse, fascinating lineup. There were only a couple hours in the day where there was nothing I knew or cared about, and even in those slots, I generally found something (the end of Joy Formidable was stellar, for example).

This, '06, and '08 are my top three. Excellent all around.

I agree on the lineup. The talent-scouting by GV was stellar: pulling gems like Love Language, Joy Formidable, Rural Alberta.

sonnyboy11
04-18-2011, 01:32 PM
Not sure if anyone mentioned it but BIG improvement on the parking situation this year too. Granted I am on my motorcycle so I kind of get a pass on the long lines, but it really looked like getting in/out was far better organized this year than last.

Bottom line- this was the best Coachella I have ever attended. I know that in past years there may be one or two headliners that made Coachella epic, but this year is was truly the event itself and the entire production that was epic! For all the reasons mentioned thus far and more. The great line-up was just a bonus.

indietron
04-18-2011, 01:33 PM
The Creator's Project was absolutely awesome. The main stage light show every night was top notch.

JamesMills
04-18-2011, 01:33 PM
It definitely did not feel less crowded to me. It was easier to get to the front for big shows, but then it would be just as crowded when it came time to start... people would just come late for some reason.

And go back to the old system of 15 dollar water bottles and plenty of stations; that much wasting of plastic is absolutely ridiculous.

And please make clauses where these artists have to show up on time, as almost half of the shows I saw were late and many of the artists didn't seem to care. Less lighting and sound issues would be cool too, as it wasn't nearly as bad in 2010.

alpez03
04-18-2011, 01:42 PM
by far one of the best coachella ever...

david.sound
04-18-2011, 01:45 PM
I have nothing to complain about. Everything was perfect!

Lady_C
04-18-2011, 01:56 PM
And please make clauses where these artists have to show up on time, as almost half of the shows I saw were late and many of the artists didn't seem to care. Less lighting and sound issues would be cool too, as it wasn't nearly as bad in 2010.

That is probably my biggest complaint of the festival was just artists starting almost 15 minutes into their sets. But I still had a wicked good time! I was so excited to see drum and bass artists like high contrast and dj hype and experimental electronica like joy orbison and ramadanman etc. It was definitely one of my favorite coachellas since 2007. Camping was awesome too! Met great people and had a great time! Keep up the good work GV!!! Can't wait for next year!

JelloPuddingChat
04-18-2011, 01:56 PM
I did not expect it to be that fucking enjoyable. The only trouble I had was parking and main gates were opened late on Friday...Also leaving the parking lot Friday night. After that it was all smooth. As someone said before, I can't believe this was my 8th Coachella and it ended up being my favorite year. Total blast!

JelloPuddingChat
04-18-2011, 01:59 PM
Not sure if it was mentioned, but no fences around the food court was great!

I have a complaint to...No Cool Haus in the non VIP beer gardens?! Luckily I had someone buy me one. Mmmm red velvet ice cream and waffle cookie.

RickeyinLA
04-18-2011, 02:03 PM
This was my eleventh and it was the very best one yet. Absolutely stunning environment in every way. EVERYBODY was so fucking nice. Lot 5 Dog Street camping was brilliant. Polly Jean Harvey took Best In Show closely followed by Trentmoller and Arcade Fire.

I would buy tickets to the next ten Coachellas if you sold them now.

Thank you, Goldenvoice.

TomAz
04-18-2011, 02:07 PM
i have a few minor quibbles that are too tedious to list. Other than that the logistics this year were about as close to perfect as could be reasonably expected. Shuttles worked great, loved the bigger grounds, loved the bigger tents, and really truly absolutely loved the RFID wristbands. This was the most hassle-free Coachella by far out of any of the 7 I've attended.

Don't think I agree with comments about the 2010 douchebags being totally gone. The crowd was certainly a lot nicer and more polite than last year but it still didn't feel like 2005 to me in that respect. That of course is not in GV's control. For whatever reason the douchebags seem to especially like to congregate by the big pavillion beer garden by the front entrance.

braundiggity
04-18-2011, 02:13 PM
It definitely did not feel less crowded to me. It was easier to get to the front for big shows, but then it would be just as crowded when it came time to start... people would just come late for some reason.

And go back to the old system of 15 dollar water bottles and plenty of stations; that much wasting of plastic is absolutely ridiculous.

I'm not trying to be a dick, but was this supposed to be sarcastic? I was at the mainstage a ton Saturday and Sunday, and the only time it felt even close to as crowded in years past (and I don't just mean 2010) was during the Strokes/Kanye.

Meanwhile, how would charging $15 for a refillable waterbottle save plastic? People could bring their own water bottles in this year; you could re-use the ones you bought; etc. When you had to buy a souvenir one, I'd always just buy new $2 bottles each time, because it wasn't worth carrying around a large, hard-plastic bottle all weekend (and losing it). How is letting people refill any bottle less environmentally friendly?

And a few sets started late, but they generally seemed on time, moreso than in years past. At least for the sets I wanted to see. And rare was the artist who got cut off (and when they did -- Cee Lo -- they deserved it).

Crazy how people can be at the same place for 40 hours over a weekend and have such different experiences.

braundiggity
04-18-2011, 02:14 PM
Not sure if it was mentioned, but no fences around the food court was great!

The entire section with the Ferris Wheel, Oasis Dome, food court, and massive tent was EXCELLENT.

brycerosen
04-18-2011, 02:26 PM
Giving out free water stations, very classy

when i heard you got rid of the refillable water bottles i thought it was a bull shit money makeing move, silly me

CiderMouseRules
04-18-2011, 02:36 PM
Not sure if anyone mentioned it but BIG improvement on the parking situation this year too. Granted I am on my motorcycle so I kind of get a pass on the long lines, but it really looked like getting in/out was far better organized this year than last.

Absolutely.

Last year I got stuck in the parking lot leaving for 2.5 hours one night, and an hour was the minimum. This year the longest wait to get out was 20 mins.

david.sound
04-18-2011, 02:38 PM
It definitely did not feel less crowded to me. It was easier to get to the front for big shows, but then it would be just as crowded when it came time to start...

There's always going to be a crowd. But I was able to move from the back to the front at ease... People were polite about it too...

You obviously haven't been to an Insomniac event!

P.S. to the people that stepped or tripped over me. Sorry I looked mad, it just hurt. I forgive you. I think I need to peel off a layer of skin off my soles.

captncrzy
04-18-2011, 02:38 PM
Major Pros:

Added square footage that allowed the crowd to cut from the entrance to the Gobi/Mohave.

Much less douchey crowd this year; I really think the added security, wristband checks, AND the three day passes all contributed to this. No stupid bored LA teenagers coming up to ruin Saturday.

Using (what I was told was) the old Gobi as a giant canopy for the food courts.

No fencing around the food courts.

No stupid baby palm trees sitting around in pots

Creators Project

Restaurant at the entrance-air conditioning, proper bathrooms, and a full restaurant and bar.

Making the dolab smaller

Making the Mohave and Gobi bigger

FRESHERS

RFID chips in wristbands; I didn't wait in line for a second to get in.

More, calmer security--there were a lot more security guards this year, but they were a lot more mellow than years past

Only two quibbles-one minor and one major:

Dude, for heaven's sake, put some freaking shade by the Outdoor theater.

Work with the city of Indio on making a more appropriate bicycle/pedestrian exit. On Saturday night, we were told that for us to get to Monroe on our bicycles, we needed to exit out of parking lot 16 (with all the cars). It took us an hour and a half to get to our house, and it's completely unsafe to make pedestrians and bicyclists exit where cars are exiting. It's a miracle we didn't get hit. Sunday they changed their tune and let people on bikes go down Avenue 51, but we were so freaked out by our Saturday experience that we drove in that day. If you want to reduce the carbon footprint, invest in creating an official bike path/walking path (even if it's temporary).

BlackSwan
04-18-2011, 02:44 PM
Why does this thread have one star?

GuyInTucson
04-18-2011, 02:48 PM
Why does this thread have one star?

It doesn't anymore.

And whoever didn't notice the smaller crowd either didn't go last year or wasn't paying attention. It wasn't even close to as crowded. When Ozomatli hit the main stage Friday, I was able to walk up plant myself 10 feet from the stage and sit there without bumping into people.

TickleMeElmo
04-18-2011, 02:53 PM
All of the above. Also THANK YOU for separating the showers. It was so nice not having to wait an hour to wash up. Plus from what I saw security was on top of their game this weekend, bravo.

Skull08
04-18-2011, 03:03 PM
This is my 9th time at Coachella and it has been one of the best for me. It felt less crowded, security guards were nice, the Gobi and Mojave tents were bigger which is great!
I would only suggest to bring back the shades in the food area next to the Gobi.

Anyways, it was a great Coachella, thank you Goldenvoice, see you next year!

Mammoth85
04-18-2011, 03:07 PM
Hear, hear. Nailed it.

GuyInTucson
04-18-2011, 03:07 PM
I guess if I had a real gripe, it was the sound system in the Pure Filth/Oasis Dome. At times it sounded like absolute shit. There were periods where I could barely hear the music in the middle of the food court. Also, if they are going to have a stage with a bass theme, they might want to make sure the sound system actually has good quality bass.

There were times it sounded okay, but there were several other times I walked by and the sound was just weak.

TomAz
04-18-2011, 03:13 PM
Actually I thought that was another thing they did right. I didnt' want to hear that crap while I'm eating my ice cream waffle sandwich.

GuyInTucson
04-18-2011, 03:15 PM
Actually I thought that was another thing they did right. I didnt' want to hear that crap while I'm eating my ice cream waffle sandwich.

Well you do have a point. A lot of the dome performances were shit. I saw some acts have maybe 10 people watching them at times there. It was like that stage was the redheaded stepchild of the festival and was banished to it's own corner away from everything else.

Alchemist559
04-18-2011, 03:19 PM
I had a freaking blast! Everything was improved, the artist were all amazing. I'm speechless! See you next year!

IlliniQ
04-18-2011, 04:24 PM
i have a few minor quibbles that are too tedious to list. Other than that the logistics this year were about as close to perfect as could be reasonably expected. Shuttles worked great, loved the bigger grounds, loved the bigger tents, and really truly absolutely loved the RFID wristbands. This was the most hassle-free Coachella by far out of any of the 7 I've attended.

Don't think I agree with comments about the 2010 douchebags being totally gone. The crowd was certainly a lot nicer and more polite than last year but it still didn't feel like 2005 to me in that respect. That of course is not in GV's control. For whatever reason the douchebags seem to especially like to congregate by the big pavillion beer garden by the front entrance.

I think the one downside, for some at least like old dogs like me, is Coachella used to feel like a music festival for all ages. Festival crowds will always skew young, but 30-50 age range sure felt better represented in '08 and '09.

I think the three day tickets only move that started last year has really squeezed out older fans who can't commit to a full long weekend the moment the lineup goes out, but it also could be the lack of any pre-80s acts in '10 & '11 lineups

wscmx13
04-18-2011, 04:28 PM
My first year there and I fucking loved it! The lines for food or water weren't bad, the lighting in the Sahara was fucking amazing! I don't know if there's much for improvement, everything seemed perfect to me.

MagneticField
04-18-2011, 04:38 PM
First year at Coachella and I was so happy that the capacity of the crowd was kept under control. I could move to any stage I wanted and still feel comfortable, it was absolute heaven. The lineup was amazing, the food was great, the lines were short - I can't wait to be back next year!

gayathomemom
04-18-2011, 04:39 PM
I don't have anything to compare this to, this being my first Coachella, but I have to say it was awesome! Took my sis, partner and our 2 1/2 year old son and we had a blast! Friendly people everywhere, very respectful of our little boy and wasn't crowded or as dirty as I thought it might be. No wait for the restrooms, ample shade places, no big lines to wait in (except parking on Friday!). Very nicely done!!!

Aphxtwinin
04-18-2011, 04:45 PM
Everything was awesome, unfortunately my wristband fell off my wrist while i was laying down and had to get it replaced/super glued. On Friday morning when I went to do this I was given the go around by everyone I asked and I pretty much walked the entire campgrounds looking for the right place which no one knew where to send me. Even a supervisor in the security check line to get into the festival could not tell me what to do. When I finally found it, it was close to the general public entrance for the festival along the fence on Ave 51, which btw it should have been on the map. There was a huge line, and I asked the security guards how bad it has been and they said it had gotten pretty bad on Friday, they had two lines for two problems. 1. The RFID not scanning and 2. the wristband breaking/falling off. If you look at the pin part that is supposed to close the clamp, its only held to the main body of the clamp by four little pieces and the rest is a hollow ring so if you push it too hard the circle with the pin falls off, this is what happened to two others in my group. Also, there was only 4 guys repairing these things for thousands of ppl. I got mine fixed and everything was fine from then on but I think they should either make a more solid clamp or go back to the plastic wristbands they have had previously. but otherwise, it was probably one of my favorite coachellas

PassiveTheory
04-18-2011, 04:51 PM
I'm pretty much gonna echo everybody else and say that this year was fucking excellent. It may not have had the crowd size of 2008 but it equaled the talent level of 2009 and 2010. It is definitely a return to form for the festival.

My chief complaint is something that I feel is a minute issue but is going to become an increasingly bigger issue: Flags and other shit you can put on a pole and wave in front of people. Seriously, that shit needs to stop. Oh and the whole people sitting on each others' shoulders thing, but there's no way to control that.

JelloPuddingChat
04-18-2011, 04:54 PM
How do you expect to beat the English without poles and flags?! HOW?!

PassiveTheory
04-18-2011, 04:59 PM
Simple: Everybody grow an afro. A SEA OF AFROS TO BEAT THE ENGLISH.

fatbastard
04-18-2011, 05:16 PM
I'm pretty much gonna echo everybody else and say that this year was fucking excellent. It may not have had the crowd size of 2008 but it equaled the talent level of 2009 and 2010. It is definitely a return to form for the festival.

My chief complaint is something that I feel is a minute issue but is going to become an increasingly bigger issue: Flags and other shit you can put on a pole and wave in front of people. Seriously, that shit needs to stop. Oh and the whole people sitting on each others' shoulders thing, but there's no way to control that.

Yeah, I caught that too. All of them walked around like it was completely normal. And the way they walked to straight and proper told me that they may have hidden band camp issues. Yeah, one line in the camping guidelines shoulds resolve this issue.

emllik
04-18-2011, 05:30 PM
Big ups to the guy who gave us the blunt wraps all out of nowhere when he was walking by and i said smoke a blunt. seriously like 10 blunt wraps wow go coachella!!

haha it had to have been the same guy that threw two packs of wraps at me as I sat under the food tent near the Dome (As I'll always call it). I think that was Saturday, and I was so stoked because they sold out of wraps at the general store on Thursday, and I used all mine up by friday afternoon (almost got busted sneaking in one of those wooden pipes they sold)

emllik
04-18-2011, 05:35 PM

It was bad this year, in that there were more people doing it.... but it wasn't so bad this year. In '09, at the Etienne De Crecy show, some guy with a huge Mexico flag on a long pvc pole was waving it as soon as the lights started hitting the cube. My jaw fucking dropped. I sort of expected nine to twelve hispanics with pride and integrity to tackle the cunt to the ground before their countrymen were made to look like total assholes. Oh well. We're all assholes now and then, I suppose. Yes, I'm that guy who funky dance-walked all over your blankey during any set at the main stage. If your blankey and I were there, at the same stage, at the same time..... it was getting funky dance-walked all over.

TomAz
04-18-2011, 05:35 PM
i thought they had a NO FLAGS rule. but yeah I saw a few.

PlayaDelWes
04-18-2011, 05:36 PM
I kinda like the flag and things on a pole thing. Brings another dimension to the festival. And they weren't pervasive to the point they were disruptive in any way.

frazzles
04-18-2011, 05:36 PM
Only issue I had/saw was on Saturday afternoon when the main entry scanners from Lot 8 went down. Then everyone (except myself and like 4 others) migrated to the entry by the dust trail which then shut down shortly thereafter--leaving hundreds of people with no way to get in.

But one of the dude's scanned my wristband with their little pocket PC things, so I went about my business and didn't care anymore. A minor 5 minute inconvenience.

Somewhat Damaged
04-18-2011, 05:58 PM
This was my 10th year and easily my favorite, like without any deliberation. The tents actually emptied out between sets (perhaps one of the motivations behind scheduling, say, the Aquabats between Cut Copy and Robyn), it was fairly easy to get reasonably close (at least to the sound board) for pretty much every set, and the layout was terrific. I don't know how they'll actually be able to improve the grounds at this point because it seemed about perfect. And now that I think about it, the lines to get food were always really short, like no more than a few minutes. Last year in particular, I recall feeling like going to get something to eat meant you were committing a half an hour away from a tent.

The only quibble I have is regarding how long it takes to get out of the parking lot at night. Last night, we left after PJ Harvey and were home within 10 minutes of getting to our car. That was great but we're not going to leave that early all the time. When I went to WrestleMania at University of Phoenix Stadium last year, there were over 100,000 attendees and I braced myself for being stuck in the parking lot for a couple of hours based on my Coachella experiences. I was out of there in 5. My wife's had a similarly positive experience with Phoenix International Raceway, another event with over 100,000 people. These two venues are in relatively small suburbs of Phoenix (Glendale and Avondale, respectively), so it's ridiculous to think they're going to have larger budgets to work this kind of shit out than Indio, especially since Indio's been doing this for over a decade now and have had a couple of events to work out the kinks on for a few years. It just baffles me that traffic gets backed up for hours at the end of each evening still.
I also wonder if they have to move the event back another weekend. That heat was goddamn brutal.

JustSteve
04-18-2011, 06:13 PM
but look at the weather the week before and now after the fest. no matter when it is it always seems to get hot for those 3-4 days and only those 3-4 days. weird.

EmLeaux
04-18-2011, 06:20 PM
As you see in my sig, I had a few things to say about last year's festival. Here is my open letter to Coachella, 2011 edition (http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/uponsun/2011/04/an_open_letter_to_coachella_20.php).

It feels good to have my friend back.

emllik
04-18-2011, 06:23 PM
but look at the weather the week before and now after the fest. no matter when it is it always seems to get hot for those 3-4 days and only those 3-4 days. weird.

The days were pretty bad, but the nights were amazing. It felt so good to sweat in a tight crowd with the breeze rolling through. Can't hate on those sweet ass desert nights

Coachella Bound
04-18-2011, 06:27 PM
im sure everything thats needed to have been said has been said.... but honestly, GV you did an incredible job this year. I have not one single complaint, you have once again given me my best weekend of the entire year....

emllik
04-18-2011, 06:29 PM
This was my 10th year and easily my favorite, like without any deliberation. The tents actually emptied out between sets (perhaps one of the motivations behind scheduling, say, the Aquabats between Cut Copy and Robyn), it was fairly easy to get reasonably close (at least to the sound board) for pretty much every set, and the layout was terrific. I don't know how they'll actually be able to improve the grounds at this point because it seemed about perfect. And now that I think about it, the lines to get food were always really short, like no more than a few minutes. Last year in particular, I recall feeling like going to get something to eat meant you were committing a half an hour away from a tent.

The only quibble I have is regarding how long it takes to get out of the parking lot at night. Last night, we left after PJ Harvey and were home within 10 minutes of getting to our car. That was great but we're not going to leave that early all the time. When I went to WrestleMania at University of Phoenix Stadium last year, there were over 100,000 attendees and I braced myself for being stuck in the parking lot for a couple of hours based on my Coachella experiences. I was out of there in 5. My wife's had a similarly positive experience with Phoenix International Raceway, another event with over 100,000 people. These two venues are in relatively small suburbs of Phoenix (Glendale and Avondale, respectively), so it's ridiculous to think they're going to have larger budgets to work this kind of shit out than Indio, especially since Indio's been doing this for over a decade now and have had a couple of events to work out the kinks on for a few years. It just baffles me that traffic gets backed up for hours at the end of each evening still.
I also wonder if they have to move the event back another weekend. That heat was goddamn brutal.

It sounds like you're talking about the difference between a paved parking lot, and an improvised dirt lot filled with hungry/thirsty/hot/cold/drunk/stoned/sleepy people stumbling around to their tents/ cars after two/three/four+ days of doing exactly the same. It's a bad time waiting to happen. Similarly...I didn't drive in, but had to wait for and weave through the cars. As much as I think car camping totally ruined camping for people without cars... I do like the car camping areas. They seem more together, in a way.... plus, all that green grass they had... damn the tent camping wasteland

emllik
04-18-2011, 06:32 PM
im sure everything thats needed to have been said has been said.... but honestly, GV you did an incredible job this year. I have not one single complaint, you have once again given me my best weekend of the entire year....

'09 spoiled me. I hate to complain about any of it, as it's my favorite yearly event, but I always think back on how amazing '09 was haha

captncrzy
04-18-2011, 06:41 PM
It sounds like you're talking about the difference between a paved parking lot, and an improvised dirt lot filled with hungry/thirsty/hot/cold/drunk/stoned/sleepy people stumbling around to their tents/ cars after two/three/four+ days of doing exactly the same. It's a bad time waiting to happen. Similarly...I didn't drive in, but had to wait for and weave through the cars. As much as I think car camping totally ruined camping for people without cars... I do like the car camping areas. They seem more together, in a way.... plus, all that green grass they had... damn the tent camping wasteland

If you'd ever been out to a race at PIR, you'd know there are 100,000 people leaving Redneck Land, USA. Each and every one of them starts drinking Budwiser at 9am. When they exit the racetrack, there is one road with two lanes (one lane each way). The racetrack is actually built into a mountain, so there are no additional exits to create, no additional roads to build. Just a two lane road that goes along a giant racetrack. And it's nothing compared to the traffic that Indio still hasn't gotten a handle on.

Not a big deal for us this year..the two nights we drove in, we left a bit early and got home in a reasonable amount of time. But we stayed all night on Saturday, and had we driven, we'd probably would have gotten home an extra hour later.

If they don't add lanes or create a bicycle path, we'll probably buy shuttle passes next year...we'll have to go out of our way, but at least we won't be sitting in a parking lot.

It's really the only thing left to complain about; everything else was perfect. Coachella is back.

Also, the polo fields have become self-aware.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
04-18-2011, 06:45 PM
YES the parking lots were total fucking bedlam at night.

Other than that though, the fest was pretty spot on amazing and perfect. I was extremely impressed with all of the changes.

emllik
04-18-2011, 06:50 PM
If you'd ever been out to a race at PIR, you'd know there are 100,000 people leaving Redneck Land, USA. Each and every one of them starts drinking Budwiser at 9am. When they exit the racetrack, there is one road with two lanes (one lane each way). The racetrack is actually built into a mountain, so there are no additional exits to create, no additional roads to build. Just a two lane road that goes along a giant racetrack. And it's nothing compared to the traffic that Indio still hasn't gotten a handle on.

Not a big deal for us this year..the two nights we drove in, we left a bit early and got home in a reasonable amount of time. But we stayed all night on Saturday, and had we driven, we'd probably would have gotten home an extra hour later.

If they don't add lanes or create a bicycle path, we'll probably buy shuttle passes next year...we'll have to go out of our way, but at least we won't be sitting in a parking lot.

It's really the only thing left to complain about; everything else was perfect. Coachella is back.

Also, the polo fields have become self-aware.

That is the main reason I truly love the tent camping option. Walk in, walk out. This year I brought a dolly, so it made the tripping to and from the spot (from being a lot lighter, minus twenty pounds of ice, eighteen beers, assorted snackage) with all my gear a lot easier. I slept through most of everyone leaving, but I was definitely thinking it was nightmare time as I walked through row after row of car camping spots, one every now and then empty (PJ Harvey fans who knew timing was worth more than Kanye, I'd suppose).

citizenerased
04-18-2011, 07:16 PM
Thank you GV. Friday and Saturday were some of the best days of my life.

sithlord
04-18-2011, 07:20 PM
This was, without a doubt, my favorite Coachella in years, largely thanks to the improvements made to the festival in the past year.

EVERYTHING went well for my crew and I this year. The lines, the audiences, the performers, camping, the art...everything!

Thanks Goldenvoice!
Here's to 12 more years!

boyalien0
04-18-2011, 07:23 PM
Thank you indeed. I have to echo the sentiment that, as upgraded and different as everything was from a few years ago, this felt like a true return to form for the festival. I was able to enjoy it in a way I haven't since 2008, maybe even 2006. Thank you thank you thank you. My only complaint - you're gonna pull the plug on Erykah Badu but let Mumford and Sons go over by almost fifteen minutes? Fuck that.

emllik
04-18-2011, 07:35 PM
Thank you indeed. I have to echo the sentiment that, as upgraded and different as everything was from a few years ago, this felt like a true return to form for the festival. I was able to enjoy it in a way I haven't since 2008, maybe even 2006. Thank you thank you thank you. My only complaint - you're gonna pull the plug on Erykah Badu but let Mumford and Sons go over by almost fifteen minutes? Fuck that.

Did Badu get unplugged? I was heading for the beer garden at the end of her set, but I thought after she said, "They're telling me I have to get off the stage now, so I'll see you later..... Fuck that, let's play another one," she proceeded to play a medley. Correct? Anywho... did Mumford and Sons come on fifteen minutes late, and say "Fuck that, let's play another one," after they were told their time was up? Don no 1 b drop'n no N-bombs, yo.

mmsk123
04-18-2011, 08:09 PM
Fuck the parking situation at the end of the night.

http://info.aeglive.com/gv/coachella/2011/images/prk400.jpg

On Friday night lots 14, 15 and 16 had ONE exit total at the corner of 52 and Monroe. There was ONE lane connecting lot 14 to lot 15, then ONE lane connecting lot 15 to lot 16, then in lot 16 two lanes to get out. If you were in 14 you were FUCKED trying to get to this one lane (where multiple cars try to get through at once) to lot 15 and then once in lot 15 you were again fucked to get through the one lane connection to 16.

I started in 14. It went something like: move about 10 feet, then turn off car for 10 minutes. Repeat for who knows how long if you stayed.

I eventually just made a u-turn and bribed the parking guy to let me drive through where people walked and got out at lot 13 at monroe, which had no line of course. The parking to get out at the end of each night is by far the worst aspect of the whole festival.

gaypalmsprings
04-18-2011, 08:13 PM
Skip the drive next year. Take a shuttle. It's worth every penny. SRSLY.

Mabdul Doobakus
04-18-2011, 08:21 PM
I don't have much to add, but just wanted to throw in my own thank you. This was my 5th Coachella. I went from 2004-2007 and then this year, and it was definitely the smoothest experience I've had. I hope I can make it back next year.

waterandcoffee
04-18-2011, 08:35 PM
letting the bros close friday was fucking CLUTCH. ballsy move with huge results. should have pulled the plug on KoL after they went over their timeslot, though. those are minutes lost from the best goddamn party i have ever been to.

travelfan
04-18-2011, 08:40 PM
This was my first year and was blown away by how incredibly classy and high quality it was. The food was delicious (holy shit Spicy Pie!), the art was just surreal, so much room to move around, the staff friendly, I literally cannot explain how impressed I was. I really got the impression that every decision was made to ensure an amazing experience instead of making a profit, which I have never experienced at such a major event.

The only problem was that there were a couple of rough sound bleeds (you could hear Gogol during Tallest Man on Earth, and Cage the Elephant during Badu), but other than that this was a perfect event for me. I will see you all there for years to come.

TomAz
04-18-2011, 08:44 PM
Skip the drive next year. Take a shuttle. It's worth every penny. SRSLY.

I disagree. I think it was worth more than what I paid for it. This is the way it should be done.

watch, next year they'll fuck it up.

Hawkings
04-18-2011, 08:46 PM
1) Reduced Crowd Size - this improved a host of things. the extra security that seriously reduced the crowds made it easy to see any band you wanted without too much stress, exept Foster the People. Less crowds meant it was easier to get food get relatively close to bands in tents or outdoor stage. Less crowds mean everyone is less pushy and more PLUR

2) Expanded festival area - The added food area with shade, extra new benches in food and beer gardens,

3) Expanded Tents -

4) the air conditioned bar - with Bombay Gin, playoff basketball for US folks or playoff hockey for the Canadians (although that made me miss the Coldwar Kids, Bright Eyes into Kills), next year they need more food in there and to charge a cover so people don't come in just to use the toliets until they close the bathroom by Sunday.

5) Ground - i swear there was more grass everywhere this year (insert pot joke)

6) ?Camping ? - sounds like camping had a skating rink, general store and was improved

7) Weather - not sure how GV makes sure the clouds go away for Coachella and then come back right after but cheers

8) Quick Enterance - Seems like the line to get in at the front is usually 30 minutes, this year 1-5 minutes

TomAz
04-18-2011, 08:47 PM
I like clouds.

MissingPerson
04-18-2011, 08:48 PM
watch, next year they'll fuck it up.

It's like it isn't enough for the glass to be half empty, it's probably dirty too.

zircona1
04-18-2011, 08:52 PM
This was my first time going and I'll probably be back next year.

narek23
04-18-2011, 08:54 PM
This was my 2nd year (last year was my first) i seriously felt all the improvements logistically and wanted to give props to GV. see you guys next year :)

CrimesceneCookie
04-18-2011, 08:56 PM
My coachella has been fixed.
Probably my favorite year out of the 9 years I've been.

The Coach
04-18-2011, 09:00 PM
Easily one of the best weekends of my life. Only my 2nd Coachella. 2010 was fun, but 2011 was incredible! I made the most of this years festival, staying up really late in camp parties and roller rink, moving around to different shows but staying at the good ones, and not burning my feet and brain out before 9pm like I did in 2010.

I agree with the positives posted above especially:
-more showers
-less night crowd maneuvering/fence hoppers/14 yr old kids hooking arms and smashing through the crowd.
-cloth wristband
-that upper food court/bug art/path to tents area was brilliant
-H&M tent...only went in once but I am sure that tent saved a few people from keeling over on Sat./Sun afternoon.

the only small bummer to me was not having bathrooms near the entrance to the venue on the campground side. The people on Main St. had quite a long pee-pee dance distance.

Thank you GV and all the people who worked the festival. Job well done! See you next year.

milos57
04-18-2011, 09:03 PM
I'm moving to the East Coast in May, so this might be my last Coachella for some time.

It was fucking amazing.

Seriously, 2011 was the best one I've ever been to. The music, the organization, the crowds, the art...everything came together perfectly. Thank you Goldenovice, for assembling a killer lineup and - unlike most other promoters - addressing our concerns from last year. Coachella is one for the ages.

frazzles
04-18-2011, 09:07 PM
East Coast? If I can make it from the FAR EAST coast, you can pull it off if you want to.

Saydo
04-18-2011, 09:14 PM
Same as everything thats been said before...I thought that the festival had jumped the shark.

I will add something though. Thank you for selling out of passes. My friends couldn't go since they waited too long forcing me to go by myself. Since I wasn't with my usual friends so I had to make some new ones. It also forced me to wander the campgrounds. Since I don't camp, I've always knew I was missing something, but I wasn't aware until I walked the campgrounds Saturday night that I found out what I was missing. I still won't camp, but I'll make it a point to check out the campgrounds if I'm not particularly doing anything.

brycerosen
04-18-2011, 09:16 PM
East Coast? If I can make it from the FAR EAST coast, you can pull it off if you want to.

word. i flew in from south america the night before coachella

SP The Ghost
04-18-2011, 09:27 PM
Musically last year was superior for me but this is the best Coachella experience I've ever had in terms of anything not having to do with my feet hurting. Swag on, GV.

emllik
04-18-2011, 09:54 PM
letting the bros close friday was fucking CLUTCH. ballsy move with huge results. should have pulled the plug on KoL after they went over their timeslot, though. those are minutes lost from the best goddamn party i have ever been to.

Bitching about Kings of Leon playing over their slot..... why? It's not like The Chemical Brothers jumped on stage after they cleared out. In fact, as I was there, it was more like the Chemical Brothers came on forty-five minutes+ after they were scheduled to come on, and played a short set. Was I at another show, or are you running at the fingers some stupid ginger nonsense? I'd have to go for that second option, but...... What do I know? ; )

emllik
04-18-2011, 09:55 PM
Musically last year was superior for me but this is the best Coachella experience I've ever had in terms of anything not having to do with my feet hurting. Swag on, GV.

You either car camped, or had accomodations off-site. If you tent camped, your feet fell off around 3pm on Saturday. Check Lost and Found, if this is you.

SP The Ghost
04-18-2011, 09:57 PM
You either car camped, or had accomodations off-site. If you tent camped, your feet fell off around 3pm on Saturday. Check Lost and Found, if this is you.

I stayed off site, really I'm just fat and brought uncomfortable shoes. I'll know better next time.

wewantmuse
04-18-2011, 10:04 PM
Everything was a million times better this year. There were only a couple of times when I couldn't get into a tent. I loved the set-up of the grounds, and for whatever reason, the festival goers seemed a LOT less douchier this year.

emllik
04-18-2011, 10:06 PM
I stayed off site, really I'm just fat and brought uncomfortable shoes. I'll know better next time.

Haha good luck with that. I'm not sure what it is, but my shoes fall apart every year right before Coachella. Literally two or three weeks before, they always develop holes in the soles. Maybe it's a metaphor for masturbation of ones spirit... must be. Bring some good shows, stay off-site, and you'll be doing well. Try not to dance through the audience, or run back and forth from stages too much.... it does hell on the feetses.

R41N570RM
04-18-2011, 10:07 PM
Coachella you're perfect, oh please, don't change a thing.

emllik
04-18-2011, 10:08 PM
Everything was a million times better this year. There were only a couple of times when I couldn't get into a tent. I loved the set-up of the grounds, and for whatever reason, the festival goers seemed a LOT less douchier this year.

Definitely agree with there being a lot more room at the shows this year. Caifanes fans spontaneously imploded simultaneously as the grand finale on Friday, mayhap?

ballroomdancer22
04-18-2011, 10:08 PM
driving in seeing the lonely shanty town that was tent camping made me a bit sad for those souls having to trek this everyday into the festival especially those utilizing in and outs to go back to their campsite......

...that feeling quickly dissipated as I was ushered into lot 8 and received the Thursday night Coachella butterflies.

Coachella you're back.

Much appreciated

psychic friend
04-18-2011, 10:09 PM
i havent read everything here yet but is this a good spot to say "i told ya so" ?

ballroomdancer22
04-18-2011, 10:10 PM
Definitely agree with there being a lot more room at the shows this year. Caifanes fans spontaneously imploded simultaneously as the grand finale on Friday, mayhap?

they came to their senses and decided to go grind up on the easiest white women they were ever going to meet during Sasha.

I can tell you first hand that priorities sometimes change when the urge to party strikes at Coachella

wewantmuse
04-18-2011, 10:11 PM
i havent read everything here yet but is this a good spot to say "i told ya so" ?

yep. just make sure it stays the same for next year :)

ballroomdancer22
04-18-2011, 10:13 PM

I don't mind.

The festival mended a lot of bitter moments from 2010 so attending future Coachella's just got a new lease

Gribbz
04-18-2011, 10:14 PM
Easily my favorite Coachella.

emllik
04-18-2011, 10:15 PM
yep. just make sure it stays the same for next year :)

All but the tent camping. Guarantee I'll start a one-man mutany next year if that bullshit gets put on me again. That's a threat, and a promise.

psychic friend
04-18-2011, 10:21 PM
when i heard you got rid of the refillable water bottles i thought it was a bull shit money makeing move, silly me

:rotfl

emllik
04-18-2011, 10:24 PM
bahahaha and here I was, thinking i'd be able to quit this board as soon as the show was over.

SP The Ghost
04-18-2011, 10:30 PM
Dani it was brilliant.

Tjzoo
04-18-2011, 11:07 PM
Guys...

FRESHERS!

THISSSS!!! i had like 3 freshers a day!... me being a Coachella virgin from what i Read here in the forum it wasnt as bad as i expected to, i was able to get to all of the sets i wanted to see and got an awesome view arriving about 10 minutes before it started

sacleonard
04-18-2011, 11:54 PM
Echoing much of what's been said. Great, great weekend. Thank you!

weeklymix
04-19-2011, 12:08 AM
SEE YOU IN 2012

LickTheLizzard
04-19-2011, 12:16 AM
thank you coachella. thank you gv.

thank you based god.

djjoshchambers
04-19-2011, 12:34 AM
As my first coachella but a seasoned festival goer I was expecting the worst but gv came through on every account but one. The wristbands. 3 of 4 people in my group had there's break on Friday before we got in. Once that was sorted everything went beautiful. Next year just get better versions of these wristbands and everything will be perfect.

I seriously can't thank you enough for one of the best weekends of my life.

boyalien0
04-19-2011, 12:53 AM
1)4) the air conditioned bar - with Bombay Gin, playoff basketball for US folks or playoff hockey for the Canadians (although that made me miss the Coldwar Kids, Bright Eyes into Kills), next year they need more food in there and to charge a cover so people don't come in just to use the toliets until they close the bathroom by Sunday.

You shut your fucking dirty whore mouth right now, sir.

zachyd
04-19-2011, 12:55 AM
Pretty much every aspect was better this year than last year. The best part was how undercrowded it felt. For every main stage act I saw, even The Strokes and Chemical Brothers and Arcade Fire, I got between the stage and the soundboard just by going up inbetween the previous set and their set! Didn't have to arrive a set early or anything!

boyalien0
04-19-2011, 12:56 AM
Pretty much every aspect was better this year than last year. The best part was how undercrowded it felt. For every main stage act I saw, even The Strokes and Chemical Brothers and Arcade Fire, I got between the stage and the soundboard just by going up inbetween the previous set and their set! Didn't have to arrive a set early or anything!

Exactly. This is how it used to be back in the good old days. RETURN TO FORM MOTHERFUCKERS

zachyd
04-19-2011, 01:03 AM
Exactly. This is how it used to be back in the good old days. RETURN TO FORM MOTHERFUCKERS

Well I missed out on those good old days so its awesome to be able to experience things like smaller crowds and Freshers. hahaha

boyalien0
04-19-2011, 01:25 AM
Freshers are a staple, but I can guarantee you the crowds haven't felt so manageable since 2006.

luckyface
04-19-2011, 07:10 AM
Freshers are a staple, but I can guarantee you the crowds haven't felt so manageable since 2006.

Did you not go to 2008 Coachella?

eskamo951
04-19-2011, 11:46 AM
This year may take the cake for "Best year ever!" for the 4 years I've gone. I missed the moving spotlights and cubtron, but I can live without them if it means the festival is at that level of amazing. MY list of "LOVES" is about a million times longer than my list of complaints.
Bigger grounds kept the crowd from seeming too massive. A larger food selection was amazing. The main stage blew me away. The Sahara set up was incredible. I liked the massive shade tent in the main food area. The wristband/security process moved pretty quickly. The TESLA COILS WERE BACK! The spotlights were expanded out into the campgrounds (just make them move again!). The palm trees were lit up in different colors and went wild. The layout of car camping lot 8 really improved pedestrian access.

I fell back in love with Coachella. This is going to be a tough year. Only 360ish more days.
Only want added: return of the moving spotlights and the cubitron

thewoodenman
04-19-2011, 11:57 AM
i can't express how much of a great time i had this year. i haven't been to any other major festivals like coachella but i would imagine none could ever compare. there was soo much going on at every second of every day that i never really had a down moment, it was just go go go for us. the only ''complaint'' is the conflicts, and if that is the worst thing that happened to coachella, then that's says something pretty damn awesome about the festival. i am now in total post-chella depression mode and i have a feeling this is going to be one hell of a long year, but it can only get better from here. i am so happy and glad they decided to make the grounds bigger, everything was pretty much accessible all the time. i got a great spot at every show in a tent that i went to, the main stage was amazing so it didn't matter where i was for any show there, the sahara was absolutely perfect and the lights in the ceiling also made any spot in the tent the fucking spot to be at. i spent more time at the outdoor tent than i ever have this year, and i loved it as well. there wasn't anything i can think of that i didn't love. the car camping went so smooth, and we got a great spot. all our neighboors were great people, the party on the campgrounds sunday night ended the fest perfectly, dancing in the skate rink was so much fun. all the "rides" and attractions in the campgrounds were fun too, those swings were fantastic. can't think of a single negative thing, my mind is too clouded with amazing memories. i can't freaking wait for next year, come on 2012!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ADrunkPoet
04-19-2011, 12:34 PM
This and 2006 were my favorite years, by far. Just far too much fun across the board. The added area led to easy walks across the fields. No long lines to get in. Relatively awesome weather by Coachella standards. And per usual, amazing people to meet and hang with in the camp grounds. Post Coachella blues are even more difficult to deal with this year, than I have experienced in my seven years. 2012 please?

BootsyGraham
04-19-2011, 12:36 PM
FRESHERS
Expanded tents
Refillable water in any type of bottle
The new area for food and water
Cleaning the porta potties every day inside of the festival
Titus on the outdoor theater
Security was way cooler this year

chiapet
04-19-2011, 12:59 PM
I already posted this in another thread, but to recap:

I loved this year. The logistics around the festival and camping were just about perfect. Loved the larger (and open!) tents, central food court, opening the grounds to be able to cut to the Mojave and Sahara... it was all brilliant. Camping was by far the most smoothly run since I've started going (5 years).

There were 2 things I felt were less good than last year -- water refill stations/program and camping entertainment. The parking lots are a mess at night, and I felt like last year, some people held back from driving out right away due to having cool stuff going on in camp.

KickerConspiracy
04-19-2011, 01:14 PM
Water refill stations could be improved and there was issues with sound bleed from other stages, especially in the Gobi and a little in the Mojave during the quieter bands (Swell Season, Elbow, etc).

Everything else was aces (well, except for the parking attendant telling us to walk the opposite direction back to our car, resulting in us having to walk around the entire perimeter of the grounds, taking over an hour, but I digress).

A vast improvement over last year. My favorite improvements were that the stages were less crowded, and the Cantina. Watching the Lakers lose was one of the highlights of my Sunday.

AgainstFeist
04-19-2011, 01:17 PM
The entire section with the Ferris Wheel, Oasis Dome, food court, and massive tent was EXCELLENT.

I agree. My group hung out in there during most of our downtime. Hopefully next year they can get the grass to grow a little bit better though. It was a little dusty walking through there.

Overall GREAT experience GV. Thank you!

Sexecutioner
04-19-2011, 01:56 PM
Nice comeback GV! Man it was so nice to have space again! Being able to sit down on the grass and just chill during some sets is so important. Felt great to have that back again.

My only complaints: Like somebody else said, it would be nice if they were a bit more accommodating for bicyclists. A designated lockup area would be nice. Those white bars are ok, but get filled up early. Also, why do we have to go through 2 different gates with 2 different searches on the way in from Madison? Would be nice if we could ride our bikes all the way to the main entrance, and have a big area to lock them up there. Instead we had to park them outside the 1st checkpoint, then walk a long ways to the 2nd checkpoint (main entrance) just to get searched again? Doesnt make much sense, but this is a minor complaint in the grand scheme of things.

Overall though, everything was very efficient this year. Hardly ever had to wait in line for anything. Great job all around!

Strange
04-19-2011, 02:23 PM
Totally agree, even yesterday when the wind got up the sound was poifect.
On Saturday afternoon I said to myself, "self - this really is festival heaven".
Wonderful weekend.

I agree 100%!
Thank you Thank you GV what an amazing job.
The only complaint I can think of is lot 5 camping ran out of ice a lot and people had to walk to another place to grab some. OH NO!!! hahaha!
The best weekend of the year once again :)

Strange
04-19-2011, 02:38 PM
. EVERYBODY was so fucking nice.
This made a huge difference from last year. Every time I got bumped/stepped on or anything like that (which happens a lot, it's impossible for that many people to move around each other and not have some crashes) there was the instant "sorry man!" or something along those lines. Last year people would just plow through your group and not care. This guy stumbled right between my GF and I, you could tell he was all fucked up on something and just lost his footing and crashed between us. He could have kept walking and never looked back, but he came back over and apologized and made sure he didn't hurt her when he crashed through.
Loved the people this year!!! Thank you all who signed our Coachella sign!
In lot 5 Eagle Street we had a white board staked out with colored pens hanging down and SO MANY people signed it! Completely made my weekend to look at it every time we came to camp and see the new stuff on it.

waterandcoffee
04-19-2011, 02:45 PM
Bitching about Kings of Leon playing over their slot..... why? It's not like The Chemical Brothers jumped on stage after they cleared out. In fact, as I was there, it was more like the Chemical Brothers came on forty-five minutes+ after they were scheduled to come on, and played a short set.

Since KoL went over Chem Bros. weren't able to test their lights on time. There were clearly problems with the main screen, furthering the delay. I saw a few artists get an abrupt plug-pulling this weekend and can't think of a band more deserving than the Kings of Being Shitty.

Was I at another show, or are you running at the fingers some stupid ginger nonsense?

I have no idea what you were trying to say here, but for your sake I hope you were at another show.

Not to deter a great thread. Much praise for an unreal weekend.

durrrrrrrrdee
04-19-2011, 02:47 PM
gracias goldenvoice, all in all well done.

everything was better than 2010 but please bring back the past coachella poster signs when you walk into the fest and bring dj marky back as he was unable to make this year.

;)

feather
04-19-2011, 02:49 PM
I loved that you could walk through the dome/food area and cut straight to the Sahara, or take the other route and be right at the main. It really worked for traffic flow and ins n outs back to camp.

Loved that the camping spots were premarked, we got ripped off last year with space, this time we had PLENTY.

Loved the expanded beer garden near the Sahara too.

Loved lot 5 camping. We had our own secluded area from the main camp, and it was a nice little place to get away and still close to entrance.

All of the security and employees I encountered were very nice too.

Thank you for having a MUCH better run security checkpoint getting into camp...we waited about 45min-1hr versus the 3 hours last year.

Thank you for letting us bring in all the glow :)

Thanks to Dani and Ivankay for coming to our camp and supporting, means a lot. (loved the tweet!!)

And thanks to the Chemical Brothers for endorsing our glowruption and changing the lyrics of the song for us!! WOW!

Harrisment
04-19-2011, 04:15 PM
My only complaint from this past weekend is the terrible sound bleed from that Energy Factory DJ area. There was bleed into both the Sahara and the Mojave. I really hope they consider moving it next year, or just getting rid of it. No offense, but you shouldn't have to hear sounds from amateur DJ's that nobody is there to see when you are in a tent to watch an artist.

thestripe
04-19-2011, 04:19 PM
Thank you so much, GV. It was such a great weekend.

Mak Attack
04-19-2011, 04:28 PM
Thank you all who signed our Coachella sign!
In lot 5 Eagle Street we had a white board staked out with colored pens hanging down and SO MANY people signed it! Completely made my weekend to look at it every time we came to camp and see the new stuff on it.

That's actually a pretty cool idea.

Geno_g
04-19-2011, 04:36 PM
Loved lot 5 camping. We had our own secluded area from the main camp, and it was a nice little place to get away and still close to entrance.

THIS!!!

I loved this year... Thank you Goldenvoice!

loubque
04-19-2011, 04:46 PM
The expanded grounds are fantastic. The new set up works great. The grounds never felt overcrowded and the set up just worked perfectly. Love it.

The new wristband system was amazing. Never had any wait whatsoever getting in and, based on what I heard from others, they had similar experiences.

The first part was very nice and I could feel it throughout the weekend. Though some people we picked hitch hiking on thew ay home had told of their story of getting in for free...the whole wristband trade off deal. so may be they need to work on that. but still the expanded ground were amzing.

about the wristband thing...that fucking sucked on friday for me. Some how between checking into camp at 1am on Friday morning to 1pm Friday afternoon my wristband got deactivated and i had to wait in a two hour line to get a new one. That was complete bullshit and it did make me miss one of the bands i was looking forward to most.

Other than that, please make Coachella a weeklong festival, it goes by too fast.

Wheres the beef?
04-19-2011, 04:57 PM
This was the best year out of the years I have been at Coachella. Without a doubt. Everything was just flawless.

Things I liked (off the top of my head):

Offsite Will Call
Knowledgeable and friendly security staff
Cloth wristbands
Wristband scanning machines instead of handheld devices
Having a wristband customer service desk
Having customer service staff at the main gate for wristband issues
Expanded grounds
Expanded tents
Creators Project
Tesla Coils
Expanded beer garden by sahara tent with bleachers
Expanded beer garden by the main stage
Expanded camping grounds
Well marked camping grounds
Diverse and high quality food options
Same price ticket as last year

gmoneyak
04-19-2011, 05:03 PM
My only complaint from this past weekend is the terrible sound bleed from that Energy Factory DJ area. There was bleed into both the Sahara and the Mojave. I really hope they consider moving it next year, or just getting rid of it. No offense, but you shouldn't have to hear sounds from amateur DJ's that nobody is there to see when you are in a tent to watch an artist.

Yep.

That area was waay too loud.

nosurprises12
04-19-2011, 05:45 PM
Yep.

That area was waay too loud.

Too loud, and I never saw more than 10 people there at a time; this concept seems better suited for the campgrounds rather than inside of the festival itself.

EDIT: I guess while I am posting I might as well weigh in on this year, which was one of the best I've attended. The extra space really made a huge difference, the larger and wall-less tents were fantastic, using the old Gobi for shade was a stroke of genius, the free water program worked like a charm (although one extra station would have been great), and the new wristband system worked extremely well. Congrats to all involved this year; you really out did yourselves this time!

apachedino
04-19-2011, 06:06 PM

I think the opposite, not only do the flags hold a great festival vibe they are great tool for keeping larger groups together and finding people. I mean you have a MASSIVE fro man, from your logic you should shave it for the same reasons.

apachedino
04-19-2011, 06:17 PM
Major props GV for one of the best weekends of my life. If anything I would pay MORE $$$ if it went into making the festival even better. I mean this in the sense of things like the creators project, lighting, etc. I mean this festival must be insanely expensive to put on. Despite the relatively high ticket prices I see the money being utilized in the best of ways. I would pay more for even more amazement all the time. There are people with the creativity and drive to make it happen.

kittykat416
04-19-2011, 06:20 PM
This was my first Coachella, but I have to say I was totally impressed with the organization and how BEAUTIFUL the setting is!

It was much less crowded than I expected.

I took the Palm Desert Shuttle in each day and it was great (although I'm sure I was told that the shuttle would pick up AT the Best Western, when instead it was at the grocery store parking lot across the street).

Although there were some inconsistencies among the security folks in terms of what you could bring into the grounds (Security guard: "You can't bring your towel in"... Me: "But the website specifically said OK to towels, but NO to blankets"... Security guard: "Yea, but only like hand-sized towels, not beach towels"...Oh, give me a break....Also, did they really feel the need to confinscate my two granola bars??), but that's not surprising given the large number of security folks. For the most part, the staff were super nice and laid back.

My only other complaint was the noise bleed between stages, especially between the Outdoor Theatre and the Main Stage. Poor City & Colour's acoustic set became "City and Colour: Da Club Remix" due to the thumping bass from Wiz Khalifa's set. It wasn't as bad between the tented stages (I think the roofs helped contain the sound a bit better), but was still present, especially if you were in the back. Since there probably isn't room to move the stages farther apart, it wouldn't hurt to turn down the volume a couple notches (I know, I know).

I also concur that some shade at the Outdoor Theatre would be much appreciated :)

Although food and drinks were rather pricey, the $2 bottles of water were not unreasonable. And given that there was free tap water at the hydration station and the 1-for-10 plastic bottle exchange, no one could complain that they couldn't afford to stay well hydrated

Suffacated
04-19-2011, 06:35 PM
To GV, security, all those setting up before hand , everyone behind, in front of and on stage, a huge thanks for the best Coachella since 2006.
To CV Ice, thanks for selling a $3.00 bag of ice for $10.00.

still_lurking
04-19-2011, 07:16 PM
PROS:

1) The expanded grounds were fantastic, it didn't feel like a clusterfuck for the most part even during the headliners you still had plenty of room to walk and not bump into people.

2) The sound quality was superb. I was very impressed with the sound system this year. Yes there was bleed through from one stage to the other at times but if you got close enough to the set you wanted to see there was no problem.

3) The porta potties were "civilized" and clean, there were plenty of portas and no lines. Also the flushable toilets with the A/C trailers were awesome.

4) The grounds didn't seem as trashy as previous years. The cleaning crew really kept on top of keeping the grounds clean.

5) Freshers...enough said.

6) There was a good variety of food choices and the signs were easy to read from a distance which helped not having to make the trek to the food area if you weren't interested in what they had. Also the shaded food area was definately a plus.

Cons:

1) The defective wristbands and having to stand in an hour long line with everyone complaining how we needed to be upgraded to VIP for them ruining our early sets of the day.

2) For the most part security was spectacular, I will give them credit except for a few douchebag security people that practically gave us a cavity search for trying to get tic tacs in.

3) The water stations were great but can be improved, the water had a funky smell and it was obviously not filtered especially the station by the Gobi. Keep bringing the H & M tent with the filtered water and sunscreen station!

4) The people dancing around with their lit cigarettes and not smoking them. If you are going to light up just smoke it and get it over with. Your cig is not a glow stick.

ELECtROjan
04-19-2011, 07:31 PM
PROS:

3) The porta potties were "civilized" and clean, there were plenty of portas and no lines. Also the flushable toilets with the A/C trailers were awesome.

For the most part I agree with this with the exception of the Sahara/Gobi location. Anytime at night there was a 5-10 person line at every stall. The trailer ones were also packed or closed most of them times I tried to sneak back to those as well.

SUGGESTION: Add some of the European festival urinal portos. Guys for the most part dont need a full closed one so these would speed up and keep the rest of them cleaner...

http://www.urban75.org/photos/glasto/images/glasto024.jpg
GLASTONBURY

sbessiso
04-19-2011, 07:38 PM
I have NO COMPLAINTS.

Everything was fucking perfect. I cant believe they pulled it off but it feels like when I first started going to coachella again. So magical.

Well if Paul T. could do something about that 100 degree weather then everything would really be perfect ;)

Sexecutioner
04-19-2011, 07:44 PM
SUGGESTION: Add some of the European festival urinal portos. Guys for the most part dont need a full closed one so these would speed up and keep the rest of them cleaner...

http://www.urban75.org/photos/glasto/images/glasto024.jpg
GLASTONBURY

damn, this is such a great idea! please make this happen GV!

kananilove
04-19-2011, 08:13 PM
GV seriously listens to everything we have said over the years and look what happened! amazing festival! seriously coachella is heaven for me. great music. drinking.drugs.friends.camping.art. what else could you ask for!

OutOfmYminD
04-20-2011, 01:26 PM
Thanks GV, for my sixth and best year.

unknown
04-20-2011, 04:08 PM
It is amazing how much Goldenvoice listened to our concerns and really came through with the changes necessary to make this festival magical again. After last year I felt as though Coachella was ruined by the thousands of people who just trashed the place and made it over crowded but this year was a complete 180. Thank you a thousand times over for one of the most amazing weekends I have ever experienced and definitely the best Coachella of the 5 I have attended.

neis218
04-20-2011, 04:27 PM
I was happy all around.. even with all the puke!

electrocute
04-20-2011, 04:44 PM
Could not agree more with what everyone is saying in here. This was my fifth Coachella, and by far the best one yet in every way. Aside from the lineup being my personal favorite ever, the festival organization was ramped up impressively from start to finish. I feel like this is truly becoming THE festival, and the effort GV put into improving it this year did not go unnoticed.

Improvements:
- THE CREATORS PROJECT. HOLY SHIT. So awesome!!! This is something that will truly continue to raise the bar at this festival. I noticed that many more sets this year were enhanced with some sort of "visual" aspect, and it was almost always really, really cool.

- Less crashers due to enhanced security. Soooo much less crowded this year, way more manageable on all fronts. Barely had to wait in line at all, the entire weekend. Had no problems getting where I wanted to go for any of my chosen sets, frequently getting prime real estate at the front without having to wait much time at all!

- cloth wristbands with chips - no fakes, no lines to get in, significantly less scalpers. The clasp was slightly irritating though.

- NEW LAYOUT OF FESTIVAL - Wow. Possibly the best thing for me. It was so much more practical and easier to get around. The opening straight to the Mojave was a godsend for me, especially with food and bathrooms and water right on the way. Loved the new lobby area, very convenient. Much appreciated the shorter walks, especially when the parking lot was sometimes.. sooooo farrrr.

- Food options. Overall very good. I do wish they would allow sealed granola bars and things like that, since they really don't offer enough smaller items IMO... however the waffle sandwiches were fucking dank. Also, iced coffee became like crack to me by the end of the fest. Reasonably priced too. :)

Overall, SUCH AN INCREDIBLE FESTIVAL. The best one I've ever been to. I can't wait to see what's in store for next year. I feel like this was truly "next-level". Bravo GV. Thank you so, so much, from the bottom of my very happy heart! It pleases me endlessly to live in a world where something as truly wonderful as Coachella can transpire.

A few things that would make it even better, now that so many things have already been improved, these wouldn't be that hard to fix.
- More/improved water stations. I say, the more the better. The water wasn't cold anyway so I found myself buying them pretty often to avoid the line and to be more refreshed... It would be nice if they made the water stations better, like.. shaded perhaps? More shade overall, never a bad thing. More 10-for-1 stations would be great too. That idea only holds out for so long though, especially when it closes down at a certain time... Especially on Sunday night at closing, the field was a solid sea of bottles. It was insane.
- The main hassle of the entire time was, of course, leaving the parking lots at night. As others have noted, Saturday was especially bad. We waited for well over an hour to move about 100 feet to get out. There HAS to be a better way!!! I did notice on Sunday they had a much better system in the far lot, though it did seem to be really stressing everyone out (the parking lot workers and everyone driving).

RickeyinLA
04-25-2011, 10:19 PM
Seriously Goldenvoice, I've been to 11 now - please sell me a pair of wristbands for the next 15 and I will be in the Sahara when I'm 66. I will pay cash money today.

Wheres the beef?
04-25-2011, 10:32 PM
- The main hassle of the entire time was, of course, leaving the parking lots at night. As others have noted, Saturday was especially bad. We waited for well over an hour to move about 100 feet to get out. There HAS to be a better way!!! I did notice on Sunday they had a much better system in the far lot, though it did seem to be really stressing everyone out (the parking lot workers and everyone driving).

Maybe something like a system of letting one lot or a few lots out at a time and not letting other lots leave until the first ones have cleared. Of course it would have to be communicated to you that if you are parked in a certain lot, you can expect not to leave until at least a certain time. That way some of the hassle is cut down. If you parked in a lot where the expected wait is 60 minutes past closing of the fest, then you can kill time hanging in the campground or at the merch booth instead of everyone sitting in the car wondering when you are going to leave.

Burning Man has a pretty good way of getting everyone out at the same time and the logistics are worse than at Coachella. At BM there are about 10 lanes to get out but they all most be funnelled to one car at a time on to a single lane road.

The way they approach it is that the exodus happens in waves. Where if you are in the first quadrant you are on your way out. If you are in the second quadrant, you know you aren't going anywhere until the first quadrant has completely emptied out. Once the first quadrant has left, the second moves up to fill in the first and the cars behind fill in the next spots.

So if you are in the back, you slowly move from 4th quadrant, to 3rd, to 2nd, in relatively fixed blocks of times. You're sitting in your car and there is a sign that says "60 minutes to leave from this point". I think a lot of the frustration about leaving is the uncertainty of it all. If you know you aren't going anywhere for 30-60 minutes then it becomes a little easier to cope with. It's just to be expected, its the way it is. But with the free-for-all of leaving you feel the pressure of trying to fight and get out as fast as you can which is stressful.

Media Blitz
04-25-2011, 11:27 PM
They should move the Energy Factory to the roller rink and run it from 10 PM - 2 AM. That would quality control talent since only 4-6 DJ's would play per night, and get rid of the annoying sound bleed from a pointless stage. The Pure Filth stage got rid of the need for the Energy Factory. If I want to chill out and watch less popular acts, the Do Lab and Heineken tents work just fine.

algunz
04-25-2011, 11:30 PM
I'm stoked and will be back again. I guess that's to be expected . . .

BUT . . .
more art
water
trash
sets delayed

Oh, and why are the little books bigger? :nono

Boris
04-25-2011, 11:54 PM
My Coachella #12 was awesome, I work production during South by Southwest(SXSW) and Austin City Limits(ACL) and know what it takes to put this Festival on.
Great Job!.See you next year.
-Boris Coachella vet 1999-2011

M Sparks
04-25-2011, 11:59 PM
I bitched so much about the wristband distribution, and lately I've been bitching about the campground check-in. So I thought I should come in here and mention that

EVERYTHING ELSE WAS FUCKING AMAZING!
except for so many late acts.

But, seriously, that's why I bitch. Because I know you listen and care.

:pulse

dancefreak
04-26-2011, 12:00 AM

There's always people who leave early Sunday making parking less hassle. I've dealt with parking clusterfuckchella in the past many times and took the shuttle for the first time this year. Worth it 100%. Zero hassle in or out and nice to have the option of pre and post partying without worrying at all about getting behind the wheel.

CrimesceneCookie
04-26-2011, 12:07 AM
Dealing with parking is a rookie error. I feel like holding my tongue about the shuttles sometimes, as I hope they aren't too crazy crowded next year. If you're not camping it is seriously the only way to go.

captncrzy
04-26-2011, 07:12 AM
Kinda hard for them to be crazy crowded when they sell tickets for them. It's not like it's a free trolley.

tyles
04-26-2011, 08:39 AM
What can I say that hasn't already been mentioned? The wristbands were good, and even when my girlfriend and I had problems with them (Her's fell apart the first day and was, GASP!, wristband-less the rest of Friday, while mine was getting there by the end of the day) but the customer service (not to mention the info kiosks!) were helpful and had us on our way first thing the next day.

I would have preferred to have the filtered water program back. I'm not sure what the problem with it was the past two years, because I thought it was great. The hydration centers were a good idea though... never had to wait longer than a few minutes for water.

The Creator's Project stuff was very cool and lent to some fun surprises. More art than last year, which was great, because there seemed to be an extreme lack last year.

LOVED the new Terrace section. The new and improved round merch tent was a great idea too.

I feel very secure there. Security was excellent, and even though I saw some complaints, I knew if they were doing very thorough searches, security was going to be on their shit this year, and they were.

Less people, more room for fun!

Lastly, for those complaining about parking and getting out after the show, here's a tip, and I'm only posting it once:

Lot #16

Get there between 10am & 11am.

Get parked near the exit.

Experience the shortest wait time at the even the busiest times.

You're welcome.

captncrzy
04-26-2011, 08:50 AM
Wristband tip - mine was secure all weekend. I put mine on right before I got in, and then maneuvered my beer wristband over it to cover it. Pretty much did this all weekend so my wristband stayed protected.

jamison88
04-26-2011, 09:41 AM
Where was this Air conditioned Bar with Hockey and BBall??? and how the F did i miss it? This was my first year, and the whole event was what was memorable to me, i thought it was run fantastically and i'm planning for next year already!!!

guedita
04-26-2011, 09:45 AM
Jamison, it was right next to the main entrance across from the lockers. I think it was called "The Lounge"? They served food there too. Though I should mention that they closed the bathrooms down in there on Sunday because of plumbing issues.

PlayaDelWes
04-26-2011, 09:47 AM
It was called the "Cantina".

HandBanana
04-26-2011, 09:48 AM
They had chicken and waffles there.
Wasnt bad, but if Im paying you $18 for a meal I expect more than two tiny pieces of chicken, dickbutts.

captncrzy
04-26-2011, 11:24 AM
Yeah, but the $18 also covered a complimentary phone charge.

Boourns
04-26-2011, 11:56 AM
They had chicken and waffles there.
Wasnt bad, but if Im paying you $18 for a meal I expect more than two tiny pieces of chicken, dickbutts.

$18? Damn. Anyone get pics of these chicken and waffles?

PlayaDelWes
04-26-2011, 12:03 PM
"Air conditioned" was a relative term. Walking out of the Cantina, feeling the natural breeze was always nice.

chairmenmeow47
04-26-2011, 12:24 PM
i haven't read the whole thread yet, but thank you for:

shuttles, seriously. it was not only a breeze getting in and out in the shuttle, but in cars as well.
HARD DANCEFLOOR in the dome. LOVED this. please do this again next year.
expanded grounds, more than one way to the sahara.
the food areas not being encompassed by fences.
the additional shade seating near the dome.
CLEANEST PORT-A-POTTY'S EVER!
QUICKEST ENTRY EVER
larger tents
CAMP magazines at the info booth. last year i happened to find one on the ground, but this year all i had to do was go to a booth.
the post cards & calendar. i know there were troubles mailing it out, but i loved the extras.
bringing back the tessla coils. it's just not the same without them!

TomAz
04-26-2011, 12:24 PM
somebody should write a song.

captncrzy
04-26-2011, 12:28 PM
i haven't read the whole thread yet, but thank you for:

shuttles, seriously. it was not only a breeze getting in and out in the shuttle, but in cars as well.
HARD DANCEFLOOR in the dome. LOVED this. please do this again next year.
expanded grounds, more than one way to the sahara.
the food areas not being encompassed by fences.
the additional shade seating near the dome.
CLEANEST PORT-A-POTTY'S EVER!
QUICKEST ENTRY EVER
larger tents
CAMP magazines at the info booth. last year i happened to find one on the ground, but this year all i had to do was go to a booth.
the post cards & calendar. i know there were troubles mailing it out, but i loved the extras.
bringing back the tessla coils. it's just not the same without them!

echoing the porta potty comment. Every one was as clean as possible, other than the one I was unfortunate enough to enter Saturday evening. It was covered in blood. Not period blood...like big globs of it. Like someone had gone in there and bled profusely from the nose and/or mouth all over the toilet seat.

oatsack
04-26-2011, 12:29 PM
Last year was my first Coachella, so I has nothing really to compare it to, but holy hell this year felt completely different. From the smaller crowds, to the shorter lines at the shower, and of course the awesome music, this was a perfect festival. It means a lot when a company takes the time to address the issues we all had last year, and you don't really ever see that anymore. Thanks gv. :)

Same here so it was kinda just "Yeah I had fun, sure it was crowded but I guess that's just how it is here". This year was like night and day, major props to GV!

chairmenmeow47
04-26-2011, 12:30 PM
my only complaint would be that there weren't enough water stations. also, it was hard to fill larger bottles. a small complaint, but it was my first year trying them out. seemed ok at night, but during the day it was a zoo. people were cutting and bitching each other out.

GuyInTucson
04-26-2011, 12:31 PM
my only complaint would be that there weren't enough water stations. also, it was hard to fill larger bottles. a small complaint, but it was my first year trying them out. seemed ok at night, but during the day it was a zoo. people were cutting and bitching each other out.

You also forgot the part where there was too much brostep

chairmenmeow47
04-26-2011, 12:32 PM
ok, that was annoying too. it seemed like it was coming from three stages at once at one point.

Media Blitz
04-26-2011, 12:34 PM
You also forgot the part where there was too much brostep

There were like 3 brostep artists and they were done by 4:30 PM on Friday. You are whiny.

Media Blitz
04-26-2011, 12:43 PM
I think security was good overall, but I think promotors that use companies like CSC should have a third party to deal with patron-security relations, as CSC and Staff Pro still have too many knuckleheads on their payroll. All CSC and Staff Pro guards have assigned jacket/shirt numbers, but if you take a complaint back to CSC, they'll often just protect their own. You should be able to go to someone who doesn't have the authority to make things worse for you, as the low-wage supervisors at CSC will often do.

CSC had a bunch of cholos doing campground patrols at night. As a result, a lot of people smoking weed in the privacy of their tents had that privacy invaded, and their weed "confiscated" AKA stolen. I know people aren't technically allowed marijuana, but that type of shit is predatory, and complaining about it to a CSC supervisor will just get you in more trouble.

I'd also say that some of this faulty security helped lead to all the thefts on the campground throughout the weekend.

GuyInTucson
04-26-2011, 12:57 PM
There were like 3 brostep artists and they were done by 4:30 PM on Friday. You are whiny.

I classify all dubstep as brostep and there was too much of it. There were parts of the weekend where dubstep was in the Sahara, Dome and Do-Lab simultaneously. That's entirely too much of it and it emphasized why it fucking blows as a genre.

This year's biggest hyped up dubstep act was Magnetic Man and they dropped the ball big time. I can't believe I watched them for 30 minutes while waiting to see Sasha.

captncrzy
04-26-2011, 01:16 PM
This year's biggest hyped up dubstep act was Magnetic Man and they dropped the ball big time. I can't believe I watched them for 30 minutes while waiting to see Sasha.

Everyone I know that watched that set said it was the worst act of the entire weekend.

Exoskeletal
04-26-2011, 01:18 PM
the fact that there was Newcastle beer in one of the normal beer gardens.

oh, Lord....how did I miss this?

Media Blitz
04-26-2011, 01:23 PM
Magnetic Man's bass sounded like shit, but it's not something you'd expect to happen to them again. If you don't like dubstep, cool, but there was plenty of other music going on. I hate indie rock and trance but thankfully I could go watch dubstep and DNB while you were elsewhere in your gorilla suit and pink backpack. I liked being able to pick my own experience, not waste time complaining about others'.

GuyInTucson
04-26-2011, 01:28 PM
Magnetic Man's bass sounded like shit, but it's not something you'd expect to happen to them again. If you don't like dubstep, cool, but there was plenty of other music going on. I hate indie rock and trance but thankfully I could go watch dubstep and DNB while you were elsewhere in your gorilla suit and pink backpack. I liked being able to pick my own experience, not waste time complaining about others'.

Where was this trance you speak of?

As much as the "there was plenty of other music to watch" argument works in most situations, it doesn't excuse the fact that there was dubstep playing in the Do-Lab, Dome and Sahara at the same time.

I remember portions of Friday and Saturday where I would walk past the dome and I would hear dubstep, look towards the stage and see about 20 people over there.

Media Blitz
04-26-2011, 01:45 PM
What did you think you were going to hear in the dome? It's a fucking Pure Filth stage. If anything, blame the Do Lab for loading up on mediocre Bay Area dubstep talent. The artists in Pure Filth and Sahara deserved to be there.

JustSteve
04-26-2011, 02:16 PM
Where was this trance you speak of?

As much as the "there was plenty of other music to watch" argument works in most situations, it doesn't excuse the fact that there was dubstep playing in the Do-Lab, Dome and Sahara at the same time.

I remember portions of Friday and Saturday where I would walk past the dome and I would hear dubstep, look towards the stage and see about 20 people over there.

i am happy to say that i have absolutely no idea what dubstep even sounds like.

captncrzy
04-26-2011, 02:18 PM
thankfully I could go watch dubstep and DNB while you were elsewhere in your gorilla suit and pink backpack..

Yeah, because NO ONE in the dome or in the dolab was wearing a stupid outfit.

Gribbz
04-26-2011, 02:19 PM
i am happy to say that i have absolutely no idea what dubstep even sounds like.

I envy you.

guedita
04-26-2011, 02:19 PM
I saw a guy in a pink bunny suit watching The New Pornographers. Fucking raver.

gooftroop
04-26-2011, 02:36 PM
BEST COACHELLA EVER IMO

Thank you Goldenvoice!

captncrzy
04-26-2011, 02:39 PM
I saw some average looking girl in the Sahara in a chicken hat.

suprefan
04-26-2011, 02:41 PM
Wasnt it a sweaty chicken hat?

Daft Fro
04-26-2011, 03:00 PM
I can only echo positive sentiments already mentioned.

Seriously, way to step up your game GV :thu

paulb
04-26-2011, 03:06 PM
Thank you Goldenvoice indeed! Major changes were done and all for the better! Keep it the same! The only thing I would add, is at the central food courts...get rid of the stuff blocking the view of the main stage...I missed eating at the food courts and being able to watch the main stage clearly....

CrimesceneCookie
04-26-2011, 03:58 PM
I can't say enough about the food court placement. I was able to grab a slice of pizza or drink in between Ratatat, Leftfield and Presets, and had just enough time to make it back to the Mojave for the start of each set.

brycerosen
04-26-2011, 04:07 PM
I don't think enough has been said about the free water stations allowing any container.

When i heard the refillable water bottles weren't coming back i figured it was a money grabbing move, and then they went and gave it out fo free. Very Classy Coachella, Very Classy

boarderwoozel3
04-26-2011, 04:08 PM
Praise the powers that be for the AC on blast in the Heineken Dome. Standing in front of those vents with a cold beer and some House beats was heaven mid-afternoon on Sat. and Sun.

To echo:
-The massive food court placement
-Expanded grounds for said food court
-The Creators Project, especially the Main Stage and Sahara. That was brilliant.
-Clean port-o-loos

Overall I never felt like anything had been overlooked. It was clear attention had been paid to the organizational details that make these things run smoothly, and so it did.

Best Coachella since I've been coming in '07. Thank you.

DJdharma
04-26-2011, 05:30 PM
Best year ever, without a doubt. The exit/parking clusterfuck that happened Saturday night was semi-corrected on Sunday. Have a more efficient exit system for pedestrians, bikes, AND autos (higher volume) next year, and we will all supernova with glee.

tyles
04-26-2011, 09:23 PM
Best year ever, without a doubt. The exit/parking clusterfuck that happened Saturday night was semi-corrected on Sunday. Have a more efficient exit system for pedestrians, bikes, AND autos (higher volume) next year, and we will all supernova with glee.

If I am not mistaken, I think Paul T mentioned in an interview that for next year, they are investing in even more infrastructure (wider roads and things like that)...

JustSteve
04-26-2011, 09:27 PM
Thank you Goldenvoice indeed! Major changes were done and all for the better! Keep it the same! The only thing I would add, is at the central food courts...get rid of the stuff blocking the view of the main stage...I missed eating at the food courts and being able to watch the main stage clearly....

well, they didn't force you to eat your food in the food court.

JustSteve
04-26-2011, 09:29 PM
I don't think enough has been said about the free water stations allowing any container.

When i heard the refillable water bottles weren't coming back i figured it was a money grabbing move, and then they went and gave it out fo free. Very Classy Coachella, Very Classy

i'm guessing they dropped that program because tons of people were just going in and refilling any bottle, not just the allowed one. also, without volunteers this year they probably didn't want to have to staff it.

choice cat
04-26-2011, 09:41 PM
I loved getting water in the "H&M conscious escape tent". nice and air conditioned, places to sit, and you could fill up your water bottle plus get a cup of water.

frizzlefry
04-26-2011, 09:48 PM

YES, the recycling program was packed at times but the refilling stations were so well implemented, I didn't have any problems with this, probably the best addition, it was a life saver and saved me a ton of money.

Boourns
04-26-2011, 10:13 PM
What were the refiling stations like? Was it a water fountain kind of deal or was it like the water stations last year? Also, how long were the lines?

frizzlefry
04-26-2011, 10:39 PM
It was leauges better than the one fountain I found last year. There were multiple spouts, can't really remember the exact number but probably around ten at least (sorry if I'm mistaken). The best part however was that there were several stations in convenient locations, one besides every tent basically, and another near the Dome. I'm sure there were times that the wait was bad, probably after a popular set in an adjacent tent, but normally the wait was less than five minutes.

gmoneyak
04-26-2011, 10:47 PM
I refilled about 4 times, the max wait was about 7 minutes and each time the water was cool and well filtered.

Cheers to that, GV.

tyles
04-27-2011, 10:28 AM
My girlfriend and I would bring in two empty bottled waters and the Coachella bottles from last year. It made for less water refilling and more fun out and about!

GuyInTucson
04-27-2011, 10:34 AM
What did you think you were going to hear in the dome? It's a fucking Pure Filth stage. If anything, blame the Do Lab for loading up on mediocre Bay Area dubstep talent. The artists in Pure Filth and Sahara deserved to be there.

I don't give a flying fuck what stage it was. The point is that there were three stages playing dubstep at once. That's overkill.

For the record, I love DnB, but dubstep can fuck off.

brynoceros
04-27-2011, 11:24 AM
I agree with all the love that GV is getting...2011 was a great festival.
MY ONLY COMPLAINT: this year's free water policy sucked* I really liked the "buy a water bottle and get free filtered & cooled water" policy that coachella had the previous 2 years. IT WAS A GREAT DEAL!!! and the line had an entrance & an exit! and it was covered! and the water was refreshing as all hell! BRING IT BACK!!! anybody with me? c'mon, I heard you guys bitching too!

*granted, free water is always appreciated. but waiting in line with the herd, jockeying for position, blocking cutters, filling up with water that got increasingly gross, mud puddles around the fountains, and doing a 180 and trying to make it out without spilling SUCKED.

oatsack
04-27-2011, 12:48 PM
I loved getting water in the "H&M conscious escape tent". nice and air conditioned, places to sit, and you could fill up your water bottle plus get a cup of water.

H&M tent was a nice change of pace, not to mention the lovely sirens they had filling up the cups and our camelbaks.

frizzlefry
04-27-2011, 02:13 PM
o we can clearly tell that brynoceros hasn't read a single post in this thread concerning water. The refilling stations were a godsend and most adults don't need their sippy cups anymoreand can refill water just fine without them

Vic Viper
04-27-2011, 02:25 PM
re: portos

this year i brought along a small canister of lysol spray. used it before and after i'd done my business. so if you stepped into one and it smelled uncharacteristically "clean" despite visual evidence to the contrary, it might've been me.

pegonmark
04-27-2011, 05:10 PM
It was my first Coachella and I must say the experience was amazing. The shuttles, relatively clean bathrooms, great food, newcastle!, awesome light shows, great sets by so many artists, the friendly and courteous staff.........everything was AMAZING! Hope to be back next year.