PDA

View Full Version : So Kanye Kinda Sucked

Pages : [1] 2

OK Calculator
04-17-2011, 11:40 PM
Lets be real here folks. And I'm a big fan of his material. But I mean, talk about picking your battles. And are we really supposed to believe he couldn't get a single, even halfway awesome guest appearance? Obviously Daft was expecting too much, but I mean, Kudi? Rhianna? And yeah, so you love your mother, I love my mom too, but you really gonna close out a festival with that weak shit?

TomAz
04-17-2011, 11:41 PM
were you there?

microcuts
04-17-2011, 11:43 PM
I love how that somehow matters. When people praise a performance based on a webcast, no one ever asks that.

DeepFriedSushi
04-17-2011, 11:44 PM
Jesus tittyfucking christ.
Yeah, god forbid a kanye west set consists of kanye west playing kanye west material.

dyltr0n3030
04-17-2011, 11:44 PM
I don't know why this is a thread. but in all honesty, NO, Kanye just killed it. I really enjoyed his set and i really liked his little speech he gave.

OK Calculator
04-17-2011, 11:48 PM
I don't know why this is a thread. but in all honesty, NO, Kanye just killed it. I really enjoyed his set and i really liked his little speech he gave.

His little speech? The first time he's ever been humble in public? Yeah that was nice.

Yeahhe "killed it" alright (who the fuck is sending this phrase around, like I'm hearing it everywhere and it's getting old real fast like "x goes hard in the paint").

Yeah, god forbid a kanye west set consists of kanye west playing kanye west material.

There was a bit too much Kanye west material in his set. If you don't get what I mean, you're clearly "all up on his jock" as the saying goes.

OK Calculator
04-17-2011, 11:49 PM
I love how that somehow matters. When people praise a performance based on a webcast, no one ever asks that.

qft

Apex17
04-17-2011, 11:53 PM
he didnt KILL anything except my hopes and optimism for this legendary festival. that was a shameful end to coachella. period.

stinkbutt
04-17-2011, 11:54 PM
don't go back, ever

obzen
04-17-2011, 11:56 PM
Better yet, leave the board.

Apex17
04-18-2011, 12:00 AM
^ which apparently you never do. other hobbies include? thought so....

dyltr0n3030
04-18-2011, 12:18 AM
^ which apparently you never do. other hobbies include? thought so....

you didn't give him a chance to respond.

obzen
04-18-2011, 12:20 AM
Haha, acknowledges post count; dubious logic sets in.

Like clockwork.

DHARMA2112
04-18-2011, 12:23 AM
he didnt KILL anything except my hopes and optimism for this legendary festival

Overdramatic much? LOOOL

nfmos
04-18-2011, 12:24 AM
Overdramatic much? LOOOL

haha

Apex17
04-18-2011, 12:25 AM
your posts are tasty!

http://puppethead.blog.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/00/01/21/61/1216124/files/puppet-head-gallery/sock-puppet_medium.jpg

OK Calculator
04-18-2011, 12:26 AM
Overdramatic much? LOOOL

always was curious what LOOOL was an acronym for.

DHARMA2112
04-18-2011, 12:29 AM
always was curious what LOOOL was an acronym for.

Just saying, how can ONE act really ruin your hopes for an entire festival. One act = the entire thing?

My sarcasm detector must be broken.

Apex17
04-18-2011, 12:30 AM
obzen keeps deleting his posts cause they arent witty enough.

obzen
04-18-2011, 12:31 AM
Sock puppets; chicken shit deflection.

bobberson27
04-18-2011, 12:32 AM
There was a bit too much Kanye west material in his set. If you don't get what I mean, you're clearly "all up on his jock" as the saying goes.

if you didn't want to hear kanye west material why did you stay and watch kanye west??

were you expecting him to be the host of some variety show and keep passing the mic off to random guests? That wouldn't be Kanye West like.

OK Calculator
04-18-2011, 12:32 AM
if you didn't want to hear kanye west material why did you stay and watch kanye west??

were you expecting him to be the host of some variety show and keep passing the mic off to random guests? That wouldn't be Kanye West like.

My post. Your head. Over it.

obzen
04-18-2011, 12:33 AM
I don't have to lie to kick it, I just want to give everyone else a chance to own you.

OK Calculator
04-18-2011, 12:33 AM
Sock puppets; chicken shit deflection.

Rock muppets, zipper spit erection

Apex17
04-18-2011, 12:35 AM
^ FTW

Apex17
04-18-2011, 12:36 AM
I don't have to lie to kick it, I just want to give everyone else a chance to own you.

:thu

obzen
04-18-2011, 12:42 AM
Don't quote me.

Jman4321
04-18-2011, 12:44 AM
There's not even really a point.

obzen
04-18-2011, 12:48 AM
I'm telling you...

oh, and you forgot The Killers.

concertgoer
04-18-2011, 12:53 AM
Worst thread
Kanye had the best set of the weekend

OK Calculator
04-18-2011, 12:54 AM
Worst thread

better than Arcade fire? I think everyone who sang Win happy birthday disagrees with you.

I think like I dunno, a crap ton of giant strobing orbs spewn onto the audience and flashing in time to the music lays waste to your statement.

Jman4321
04-18-2011, 12:55 AM
Arcade Fire was better by a long shot. I have to concede that.

Rorschach
04-18-2011, 01:03 AM

First thing to make me laugh tonight

gmoneyak
04-18-2011, 01:12 AM
Kanye was just ok, he's still a shitty rapper but his entrance and stage setup were cool..

concertgoer
04-18-2011, 01:15 AM
better than Arcade fire? I think everyone who sang Win happy birthday disagrees with you.

I think like I dunno, a crap ton of giant strobing orbs spewn onto the audience and flashing in time to the music lays waste to your statement.

I loved Arcade Fire but Kanye was better. His performance once in a lifetime.

OK Calculator
04-18-2011, 01:17 AM
I loved Arcade Fire but Kanye was better. His performance once in a lifetime.

"once in a lifetime"

like that statement even means anything. Every moment of your life is once in a lifetime. I've taken hundreds of "once in a lifetime" shits in my lifetime.

GuyInTucson
04-18-2011, 01:21 AM
OK Calculator can you go back to never fucking posting here please? I mean, I'm asking nicely here.

OK Calculator
04-18-2011, 01:22 AM
OK Calculator can you go back to never fucking posting here please? I mean, I'm asking nicely here.

You live in Tucson and you watch Parks and Recreation. I'm gonna go with no.

zikade
04-18-2011, 01:28 AM
Compared to the Gorillaz, Kanye was Roger fucking Waters. He started really strong and it kinda got flat in the middle, and not that it's that big of a deal, but guests would have been nice. But whatever, it was good.

And yes, I was there, not watching it in my room.

GuyInTucson
04-18-2011, 01:30 AM
I retract my statement. You should stick around. I mean you obviously are able to determine how Kanye was more than me. I mean, it's not like you were only watching the webcast and I was watching from the Polo Fields or anything, right?

OK Calculator
04-18-2011, 01:30 AM
No one cares about Gorillaz. I know I don't.

OK Calculator
04-18-2011, 01:31 AM
I retract my statement. You should stick around. I mean you obviously are able to determine how Kanye was more than me. I mean, it's not like you were only watching the webcast and I was watching from the Polo Fields or anything, right?

Has nothing to do with anything. I wasn't there when Beethoven wrote the ninth. Clearly I can't judge its quality.

GuyInTucson
04-18-2011, 01:35 AM
If you really think being present for a performance doesn't make a difference then you are dumber than I originally thought. We aren't talking about him writing his fucking music. We are talking about a LIVE performance. If you think you can get the same effect watching at home then you should become a recluse, never go to any show ever again, save your money and watch everything on youtube. Douche.

OK Calculator
04-18-2011, 01:36 AM
If you really think being present for a performance doesn't make a difference then you are dumber than I originally thoughtM we aren't talking about him writing his fucking music. We are talking about a LIVE performance. If you think you can get the same effect then you should become a recluse,never go to any show ever again, save your money and watch everything on youtube. Douche.

Cool story bro. Anyways, I'm gonna catch some zzzs. I'll be back to check in on the fun some time tomorrow.

DJ ABEL ROCK
04-18-2011, 01:38 AM
hi lol

GuyInTucson
04-18-2011, 01:39 AM
Of course you are going to sleep now. You're obviously tired and have ran out of stupid shit to say.

obzen
04-18-2011, 01:39 AM
Cool story bro. Anyways, I'm gonna catch some zzzs. I'll be back to check in on the fun some time tomorrow.

Cool, suck a dick, trick!

DJ ABEL ROCK
04-18-2011, 01:43 AM
Kanye Performance was fucking sick...he did the shit with ZERO monitors and less then 10 fucking rappers on stage with him including a hype man or 'hype men' and he manage to take you on a ride of personal shit then into some party shit then back into some deep shit then back into some hype party shit then back into some sentimental shit and still was able to keep that crowd hype!! I wasn't even at the "polo ground's' and i felt that shit in my bedroom..haha..i could only imagine how it was for the people who were actually there!!

rasooli
04-18-2011, 01:46 AM
Yea, I don't even like Kanye and I was very impressed. I wasn't expecting anything big and I was blown away.

concertgoer
04-18-2011, 01:47 AM
You live in Tucson and you watch Parks and Recreation. I'm gonna go with no.

What's wrong with Parks and Rec?

obzen
04-18-2011, 01:49 AM
'Anyways, I'm gonna catch some zzzs'...

still logged in.

GuyInTucson
04-18-2011, 01:54 AM

When you diss Ron Swanson, you diss yourself.

concertgoer
04-18-2011, 01:55 AM
Compared to the Gorillaz, Kanye was Roger fucking Waters. He started really strong and it kinda got flat in the middle, and not that it's that big of a deal, but guests would have been nice. But whatever, it was good.

And yes, I was there, not watching it in my room.

I liked that there were very few guests. This was Kanye's night to shine and he totally delivered

GuyInTucson
04-18-2011, 01:58 AM
I liked that there were very few guests. This was Kanye's night to shine and he totally delivered

I agree 100%

DJ ABEL ROCK
04-18-2011, 02:00 AM

100 percent agree!!

jonprc
04-18-2011, 02:17 AM
i thought he was a borefest til he pulled out the chariots of fire/dancers under a sheet trick and BOOM he got me hooked.

sigh.

thom cobain
04-18-2011, 02:26 AM
this thread fucking sucks.

thenoiboi
04-18-2011, 02:33 AM
i was looking forward to it, and it pretty much fell flat for me.

the fireworks were kind of cool the first time, sort of, but it felt out of place. then after, i dunno 10 more, it was just irritating. i don't mind the speech about his mom or anything. the performance was just boring to me. maybe a live band would've helped it a bit?

also, yeah, arcade fire was easily a better set. one of my favorite coachella sets ever.

hawkingvsreeve
04-18-2011, 02:37 AM
1. Bjork '07
2. Daft '06
3. Kanye '11
4. Prince '08
5. Radiohead '04

nathanfairchild
04-18-2011, 02:39 AM

I think that this is the problem with hip hop in general. There are so many guests on their albums that the fans get their hopes up expecting to see someone like Jay-Z or Rihanna performing with Kanye live, and it's just not realistic unless they do something similar to the up in smoke tour.

GuyInTucson
04-18-2011, 02:41 AM

the fireworks were kind of cool the first time, sort of, but it felt out of place. then after, i dunno 10 more, it was just irritating. i don't mind the speech about his mom or anything. the performance was just boring to me. maybe a live band would've helped it a bit?

also, yeah, arcade fire was easily a better set. one of my favorite coachella sets ever.

Take note OK Calc and Apex. This is how you express your dislike for an act without coming off as a complete ass clown. I can respect this opinion even if I don't agree with it.

MissingPerson
04-18-2011, 05:54 AM
OK Calculator is either the grown up with severe learning difficulties who hangs out with a ragtag gang of mystery solving children in a 1980s adventure movie or he's Randy.

Rosemont17
04-18-2011, 06:01 AM
i watched the webcast and im not a kanye fan but it sure did look like the crowd was going crazy for the prick! so good for him, i guess.....

grannock
04-18-2011, 06:40 AM
Seemed pretty standard (boring) to me from the webcast. I'm not a huge fan of overly produced hiphop though....

GuyInTucson
04-18-2011, 06:55 AM
Ok I haven't gone to sleep yet. Drove 5 1/2 hours back to Tucson, felt exhausted but couldn't fall asleep. I am watching this webcast and it looks great to me, but, it was still a lot better live.

GuyInTucson
04-18-2011, 06:58 AM
OK Calculator is either the grown up with severe learning difficulties who hangs out with a ragtag gang of mystery solving children in a 1980s adventure movie or he's Randy.

He's not witty enough to be Randy. I was also told Randy was there this weekend, although I didn't see him. This guy is someone that claims to have watched the webcast last night.

OK Calculator
04-18-2011, 09:59 AM
'Anyways, I'm gonna catch some zzzs'...

still logged in.

Had to stay on a sec to acquire a new epic sig.

The fact that it sucks.

1. Bjork '07
2. Daft '06
3. Kanye '11
4. Prince '08
5. Radiohead '04

Kanye over Radiohead and Prince. Awesome.

Take note OK Calc and Apex. This is how you express your dislike for an act without coming off as a complete ass clown. I can respect this opinion even if I don't agree with it.

Nope. It's the timing and placement. You would have whined and moaned at any first post. Truth.

How did you know I have severe learning diabilities? I totally do. It's a miracle of science I've learned how to use a keyboard.

Bottom line:

Kanye's performance was lacking in many respects, from its pacing, to it's lack of good guests (it would be one thing if he didn't bring any out at all. But he did, which shows me that he tried to get good ones and failed), to his terrible singing, to his choice of final song which cemented the fact that he didn't really give a shit about the fans, that Coachella was just a big trophy to hold up for mommy.

SoulDischarge
04-18-2011, 10:02 AM
This thread is nearly unreadable.

OK Calculator
04-18-2011, 10:04 AM
This thread is nearly unreadable.

But you made it. Congratulations.

fatbastard
04-18-2011, 10:16 AM
Got to love a guy who loves his mom.

Ravingmad
04-18-2011, 10:29 AM
I don't know if it just didn't come across well on the webcast or what, but being in the crowd fairly close to the front it was a great show. The crowd was really into it and singing along with every song, Kanye sang all his big hits, the crane entrance was cool as hell. Everyone leaving around me and on the shuttle back were saying he killed it. I think the only disappointment was ending on a downbeat song, he should have done that one next to last and ended on a big upbeat hit. But I can understand why he wanted to close with that on a personal level. I'm not a huge Kanye fan but I have no complaints. I think it was a good show unless you really had your expectations up for a cavalcade of guest stars and Rhianna and Daft Punk to come out and then Jay Z parachutes in out of the sky and Bowie for an encore.

GolfWang
04-18-2011, 10:52 AM
I barely read this thread, but Kanye did kinda suck. The crowd was super into it, the beats sounded really crisp and clear, and the stage production was amazing. However, Kanye sounded pretty bad. Inconsistent breath control, terrible singing voice. I didn't even really care that there was no band, but Kanye needs to take a lesson from Jay-Z and work on his delivery. I left halfway through to watch the Presets, who were awesome.

rasooli
04-18-2011, 10:55 AM
No, I saw it on the webcast and I don't even like Kanye and I thought it was fucking amazing. Its funny, it was acts like him that brought me to the decision to not go thisyear, but I see that was a HUGE mistake.

PDXdev
04-18-2011, 11:01 AM
I like the way he ended it. That's actually one of my favorite songs. His show was amazing, not my favorite of the entire weekend but certainly the most epic. A great way to close the festival. You had to be there.

Dede' Arneaux
04-18-2011, 11:09 AM
Worst thread

It wasn't even the best set on Sunday, tinie tempah and plan b were both better.
Kw's hip-hopera became bloated like a las Vegas tribute show by act 2. The ending was completely self indulgent.

Worst of all, he can't sing!

fikus222
04-18-2011, 11:49 AM
However, Kanye sounded pretty bad. Inconsistent breath control, terrible singing voice. I didn't even really care that there was no band, but Kanye needs to take a lesson from Jay-Z and work on his delivery.

My thoughts as well. Though, I wasn't there, so I wasn't as emotionally invested, or possibly, as forgiving as those in attendance.

ruskinator
04-18-2011, 12:14 PM
So no guests except for Bon Iver?

OK Calculator
04-18-2011, 12:15 PM
So no guests except for Bon Iver?

Pusha-T made a little appearance for Runaway, and walked off to no applause since no one knew who he was or cared

SPX_clothing
04-18-2011, 12:17 PM
Glad to know we missed him on purpose... For next year let's keep the closer for REAL legends... not fake ones

ayalael87
04-18-2011, 12:24 PM
Glad to know we missed him on purpose... For next year let's keep the closer for REAL legends... not fake ones

says the punk rock skier.

thom cobain
04-18-2011, 12:34 PM
If you missed him your opinion is void.

I don't know what people are talking about, but his delivery was on point. Beats were dope, production was amazing. The entrance was fucking fantastic. He gave a real heart felt speech which was done perfectly over some music.

As far as people being disappointed with the lack of guests, that's on you. No one said he'd come out with people. The guests he had were enough for me. Kanye killed it. I'm glad so many people were there to see it.

For those that didn't like it, oh well, keep hating. Kanye's music is way better because of you.

bobchella
04-18-2011, 12:38 PM
Kanye reads on TV

braundiggity
04-18-2011, 12:47 PM
I'm perplexed by any negativity from people who were there. That was easily one of the five best shows I've ever seen, not just in six years at Coachella, but ever. It felt like watching a one man show on Broadway - the dancers redefined what a visual show could be, he re-appropriated his songs to tell his story (particularly in the second act), and the energy was out of this world. Toss in that he legitimately seemed humbled by the experience, that it felt sincerely important to him (which always translates from performer to crowd), and yeah - that was incredible.

JamesMills
04-18-2011, 12:47 PM
I thought the intro and first three songs were absolutely perfect, and fucking unbelievable/indelible, and the ending was nice too. I did feel that he kind of blew his load too early and didn't like the middle of his setlist as much (though I'm admittedly not as familiar with his earlier stuff), but I still think he had one of my five favorite performances as a whole.

JamesMills
04-18-2011, 12:50 PM

Seriously, I wouldn't have even posted had I first read these responses. Why does everyone immediately flame someone for their opinion? It's a fucking message board, that's what it's for.

beetleguise
04-18-2011, 12:59 PM
kanye sucked. why did it seem like they turned up the speakers to max.

i could hear him across the damn festival

Neighborhood Creep
04-18-2011, 01:05 PM
I wish Kanye's mom was still alive so I didn't have to end an amazing weekend to that horrid song.

ruskinator
04-18-2011, 01:13 PM
Pusha-T made a little appearance for Runaway, and walked off to no applause since no one knew who he was or cared

That's what I thought. I expected a similar level of guests based on Jay-Z not bringing anyone but the ol' ball and chain on stage.

IlliniQ
04-18-2011, 01:13 PM

Live band (in any flavor rap/country/rock/classical) > Rap performed primarily to track > DJ anything.

This is an live experience formula as immutable as E=mc2.

I think Kanye's material is fantastic, and his set was solid (in a hit and miss way rather than just general solidity), but there's just a diminished experiential return for the audience when you choose to generate 80% of your live musical elements through prerecorded sources, it removes a human component, and makes spontaneity all but impossible, and his set suffered from this.

So yes, a live band would have helped tremendously and I hope he moves in this direction as Jay Z has.

But he didn't suck...I though overall it was a very strong show...just not on the level of the Prince/Roger Waters/Paul McCartney gold standard that has been set over the last few years.

Frankly, Arcade Fire, though a touch stronger than Kanye and one of the Fests 10 best sets, weren't a top tier knock out either...but here mostly because those Suburbs songs are just structured in a manner that's very difficult to make truly pop live...had they just left the new material out other than Sprawl II and Ready to Start, could've been an all time great...but I'm glad they played the new stuff, even though it fulfilled my concerns, as I still wanted to hear those songs live.

And the memory of those glowing beach balls will live on as long as people talk about great Coachella moments.

Riflesmile
04-18-2011, 01:31 PM
I think he was brave to stand up there on his own and it definitely proves his skills and talent (I hate hype men - I'm looking at you Wiz Khalifa)

However - I walked away at the end feeling a little bored by what I had seen and it's not a set that will stick in my memory from my first time at coachella.

kushwig
04-18-2011, 01:34 PM
Worst thread

Worst Post. His set was mediocre. His entrance was nice, though.

He's just not good at venues that large. Saw him twice at House of Blues before his music started getting odd with 808's and Heartbreaks and he was spectacular.

Most rappers can't command the same presence as rock/electronic acts on the larger stages. Jay-Z last year was pretty much the same deal.

kushwig
04-18-2011, 01:40 PM
I wish Kanye's mom was still alive so I didn't have to end an amazing weekend to that horrid song.

I wish people in Haiti could get help curing their Cholera.

Kayne's Mom? Who cares? She chose to undergo a massive amount of cosmetic plastic surgery and died as a result.

JamesMills
04-18-2011, 01:43 PM

I couldn't disagree more. That is far and away my fav Kanye song ever, always has been. I was soooo stoked he played it, didn't think he would.

Though I do admit that the beat sounded too quiet for some reason, like noticeably quieter than the other songs...

CiderMouseRules
04-18-2011, 02:26 PM
As a 7 year Coachella vet who has seen some really incredible hip-hop shows at the fest, Kanye's set was a mixed bag. It didn't even approach Blackstar in '05 or Jay-Z last year. And personally, I preferred it when Kanye played mid-day several years ago.

Of course the spectacle was outstanding. And I think you could tell Kanye was giving his all. I think fans were so satisfied because the love between them and Ye was real.

But Kanye is not Mos Def or Nas or Jay-Z -- he is a very, very mediocre MC. His delivery is not good. Kanye's strength is his ear as a producer and his ability to transmute who he is into the lyrical content. The second part came through. But the reason his set was lacking -- the reason tons of guest appearances were a must -- is because what Kanye does is collate sounds. He's a music and fashion critic who puts out a report (album) every couple years on what's hot. That was missing.

I thoroughly enjoyed the set, but it wasn't a grand slam by any reasonable definition. Which is not to say someone was "wrong" or "dumb" if they had the time of their life.

GuyInTucson
04-18-2011, 02:35 PM
Worst Post. His set was mediocre. His entrance was nice, though.

He's just not good at venues that large. Saw him twice at House of Blues before his music started getting odd with 808's and Heartbreaks and he was spectacular.

Most rappers can't command the same presence as rock/electronic acts on the larger stages. Jay-Z last year was pretty much the same deal.

Why is this the "worst post"? It's his opinion, not yours. To me, it was great and I have been a fan of hip hop since the 80's.

Saying Jay-Z is the same deal (calling his set mediocre) is a joke. Get out of here.

GuyInTucson
04-18-2011, 02:36 PM
I wish people in Haiti could get help curing their Cholera.

Kayne's Mom? Who cares? She chose to undergo a massive amount of cosmetic plastic surgery and died as a result.

Perhaps you should undergo a massive amount of cosmetic plastic surgery and died as a result.

CiderMouseRules
04-18-2011, 02:37 PM
Yeah, Jay-Z's set last year was pretty much a perfect 10.

obzen
04-18-2011, 02:38 PM
No.

GuyInTucson
04-18-2011, 02:39 PM
It wasn't even the best set on Sunday, tinie tempah and plan b were both better.
Kw's hip-hopera became bloated like a las Vegas tribute show by act 2. The ending was completely self indulgent.

Worst of all, he can't sing!

First of all, most hip hop artists are self-indulgent. That's part of the persona most MC's take.

Secondly, you need to be shot for saying Tinie Tempah was better. Anyone who busts out with a "I whip my hair back and forth" remix should be kicked out of Coachella on the spot and never be allowed back.

I mean, was he serious with that? Either way, joking or not, it was awful.

CiderMouseRules
04-18-2011, 02:39 PM
http://fishbowl.pastiche.org/archives/pictures/xkcd_duty_calls.png

braundiggity
04-18-2011, 02:40 PM
Let's just let the fools and trolls have their say, while we all know what we saw.

GuyInTucson
04-18-2011, 02:42 PM
Let's just let the fools and trolls have their say, while we all know what we saw.

But it's much more fun to argue with people that don't know what the hell they are talking about.

david.sound
04-18-2011, 02:44 PM
I was gonna bring in fish sticks to throw at him but the security guards stopped me at the gate.

P.S. Julian Casablancas is amazing.

malcolmjamalawesome
04-18-2011, 02:45 PM
I was gonna bring in fish sticks to throw at him but the security guards stopped me at the gate.

That would have been borderline barely impressive.

Brochella
04-18-2011, 02:47 PM
LOVED Kanye's set, dude has really come a long way. Played all the right songs in the right order with a good balance of grandeur and maturity. No overly ostentatious stage setup, no Beyonce-status special guest, no out of control ego, just Kanye. Bravo, Mr. West.

What a classy thing to say

JelloPuddingChat
04-18-2011, 02:57 PM
Maybe I was too far back because of Leftfield. I don't have much of a say since I only saw two songs. It just didn't hit me hard. I'm on the side that thinks he should get more vocal work or just more performers to sing other parts for him. Great lyrics and amazing beats, but the singing level will keep him, at least in my eyes, from ever reaching that MJ status he wants so badly. That being said, I wouldn't mind giving him another shot live. He's too talented not to.

summerkid
04-18-2011, 03:00 PM
Why do people keep complaining that he didn't have a live band when he did

Brochella
04-18-2011, 03:02 PM
Why do people keep complaining

Fixed

kushwig
04-18-2011, 03:22 PM
Perhaps you should undergo a massive amount of cosmetic plastic surgery and died as a result.

Such hate. I just stated fact. Caring more for people who don't have help doesn't deserve such a response.

And my opinion is just as valid as yours.

obzen
04-18-2011, 03:26 PM
Not after this...

indietron
04-18-2011, 03:27 PM
Closing with Mama was absolutely perfect

wscmx13
04-18-2011, 03:42 PM
Yeezy fucking killed it. The only complaint i have about his set was that he didn't perform, Devil in a New Dress, Gorgeous or Spaceship.

TomServo
04-18-2011, 03:54 PM
Strong set. Not my thing, really... even knowing the music, I don't feel it, but the crowd did, so that's the important thing. For me....

Arcade Fire balloons >>>> Kanye West >>> The Stokes > Kings of Leon (But this is closer than you'd think)

getbetter
04-18-2011, 03:57 PM

P.S. Julian Casablancas is amazing.

Too bad you can't make a simple sign asking if he liked fish sticks.

elbrycen
04-18-2011, 04:20 PM
i can't believe no one has commented on the ballet performance...

the whole point of this set is that yeezy took his music and went miles beyond just performing it. he turned it into a three act ballet. i would bet that ha had a lot to do with the choreography as well, but the fact is that there was definitely a story told... a story of loss, heartbreak and redemption...

and he did have a live band... well, 2 keys and a dj, plus he was rocking a beat machine a bit as well. i was impressed.

TomAz
04-18-2011, 04:28 PM
were you there?

question remains unanswered.

Of course it fucking matters, you slackjawed dolt. Jesus fucking christ there are some stupid people in here this time of year.

PassiveTheory
04-18-2011, 04:30 PM
This is the kind of dumbass thread I'd expect from a Radiohead fanboy. Dear god.

OK Calculator
04-18-2011, 04:52 PM
Yeah, Jay-Z's set last year was pretty much a perfect 10.

Agreed

Ardentbiscuit
04-18-2011, 04:56 PM
Lets be real here folks. And I'm a big fan of his material. But I mean, talk about picking your battles. And are we really supposed to believe he couldn't get a single, even halfway awesome guest appearance? Obviously Daft was expecting too much, but I mean, Kudi? Rhianna? And yeah, so you love your mother, I love my mom too, but you really gonna close out a festival with that weak shit?

It's sort of silly to be disappointed because there weren't any special guests.

Nobody promised them nor were there any concrete rumors to say otherwise.

tsrdrum
04-18-2011, 05:06 PM
I was chillin back at camp listening and I thought he sounded pretty good. However, when he played runaway, I couldn't help but burst out laughing at yeezy playin with his little sampler pad

"who gotcha who gotcha who gotcha who gotcha who-who-who-who-who-who-who-who gotcha who gotch-who gotcha"

et cetera

citizenerased
04-18-2011, 05:11 PM
Kanye blew me away. He was floating right over me!

Flashing Lights was one of my top tracks of the weekend.

GolfWang
04-18-2011, 05:14 PM
It's sort of silly to be disappointed because there weren't any special guests.

Nobody promised them nor were there any concrete rumors to say otherwise.

well, Cudi and Rihanna were in attendance... but I have no qualms about the lack of special guests or a live band (two keyboardists and a DJ is not a live band). I actually thought the production sounded incredible on that sound system. Kanye would just ruin it every time he sang, or forgot lyrics, or ran out of breath. He is such a terrible singer that I would just start cracking up at how atrocious he sounded whenever he tried.

The first 3-4 songs were really solid, and then it just sorta got ugly.

I think Jay-Z being so incredible last year may have made Kanye look so much worse in comparison. At least to me. I understand why people loved it though, the stage production was insane and there were lots of pretty lights and fireworks and sparks and whatnot...

DagnyTag
04-18-2011, 05:14 PM
He flew right over me too :) I'm not a huge Kanye fan and I thought it was a great set. I thought he closed out the festival just fine ( a lot better than Gorillaz last year!) Sure there have been more epic headliners but I don't think he deserves all the hate he is getting on the boards

Ardentbiscuit
04-18-2011, 05:15 PM
Well, Jay Z is in a whole different league from Kanye. It's kind of unfair in my opinion to compare them.

waterandcoffee
04-18-2011, 05:29 PM
it's not that we were "promised" jay-z, it's just how the fuck did jay z not make an appearance for a kanye coachella closer? sounds like a great way to make the crowd lose it.

his voice wasn't great, but it used to be a whole lot worse. it seemed like he practiced a lot and obviously a ton of effort was put into the three acts. very enjoyable show with a great set list and craziest of all a message of self-humility. i would say a method man appearance would have been more likely than ye taking a few minutes to humble himself in front of 70,000 people.

also, no encore? it was only 12:30 when he wrapped up. i thought he could go until 1.

citizenerased
04-18-2011, 05:31 PM
No, Sunday night is supposed to end at 12

nathanfairchild
04-18-2011, 06:12 PM
I barely read this thread, but Kanye did kinda suck. The crowd was super into it, the beats sounded really crisp and clear, and the stage production was amazing. However, Kanye sounded pretty bad. Inconsistent breath control, terrible singing voice. I didn't even really care that there was no band, but Kanye needs to take a lesson from Jay-Z and work on his delivery. I left halfway through to watch the Presets, who were awesome.

i saw a guy that had golf wang written on his tshirt. was that you?

boyalien0
04-18-2011, 06:20 PM
Kanye killed it, /thread. Haters gon' hate, but let them command closing night on mainstage at Coachella with damn near no one else on stage. That shit was epic. And I'm not the kind of asshole to use that word lightly.

summerkid
04-18-2011, 06:25 PM
[QUOTE=GolfWang;2131905r a live band (two keyboardists and a DJ is not a live band).
.[/QUOTE]

He also had a guitarist.

OK Calculator
04-18-2011, 06:46 PM
Perhaps you should undergo a massive amount of cosmetic plastic surgery and die as a result.

fixt

No.

Yes.

This is the kind of dumbass thread I'd expect from a Radiohead fanboy. Dear god.

No evidence to support my being a "Radiohead fanboy". OK Calculator is a TVOTR album. Wouldn't expect you to know that.

Kanye killed it, /thread. Haters gon' hate, but let them command closing night on mainstage at Coachella with damn near no one else on stage. That shit was epic. And I'm not the kind of asshole to use that word lightly.

If I had a dime for every time I've heard someone say "____ killed it" I would be able to buy Kanye voice coach lessons for a decade. How long before this expression loses all meaning? I'm gonna bet a month tops.

obzen
04-18-2011, 06:52 PM
Hahahahaha, can't stop.

What a troll.

Radiohead
04-18-2011, 06:54 PM
I wasn't too impressed with Kanye, but I don't get what people thought they were going to see when they headed to the Main Stage for his set. Honestly, it was exactly what I expected it to be.

OK Calculator
04-18-2011, 06:58 PM
Hahahahaha, can't stop.

What a troll.

Well actually, I'm the thread starter. And I actually do care about this topic. So I think I have a right to post here as much as anyone. And you clearly seem to care enough to keep sticking around. So pot calling calling kettle black.

obzen
04-18-2011, 07:00 PM
You miss the point - you came back and quoted something I posted that wasn't even direct at you. Stop quoting me, you're coming off as desperate.

stinkbutt
04-18-2011, 07:02 PM
He was good, but he could have and should have blew everyone's minds if he went to all the trouble of bringing people out and having a huge band. Like some huge Taiko drums during "Lost In The World" would've been badass, or some actual strings on the "All of the Lights" intro. He was good, but he could've pulled out all the stops and shut all of his critics up.

boyalien0
04-18-2011, 07:05 PM
Yeah, quit quoting me too while you're at it. What's your goddamned deal with slang? Homeboy, Boo-Yah, Sick, Hella, Facepalm, Face Melting....you want to make a list of what's acceptable to you, biznatch? Got Milk?

Vortex
04-18-2011, 07:06 PM
I was there for the whole set. Best way I can describe is that I kept waiting for something...anything...to happen. Can't believe I left Leftfield early and missed The Presets for his set.

boyalien0
04-18-2011, 07:07 PM
I was there for the whole set. Best way I can describe is that I kept waiting for something...anything...to happen. Can't believe I left Leftfield early and missed The Presets for his set.

You're so right, nothing at all happened during Kanye's set. Nothing. It was a vacuum, actually.

OK Calculator
04-18-2011, 07:08 PM
I don't have any problem with slang. I just think "killed it" is gonna get killed through overuse. Funny.

boyalien0
04-18-2011, 07:10 PM
Oh my god, a slang term is going to run it's course??? And people will use it less over time??? You are so fucking enlightened, thank you!

ayalael87
04-18-2011, 07:11 PM
Anyone else catch him skip the first verse on "all falls down"? Ye noticed it, and he laughed on stage too.

OK Calculator
04-18-2011, 07:11 PM
And you might singlehandedly skullfuck sarcasm to death. A pity you aren't more subtle (ie. good) with it.

obzen
04-18-2011, 07:12 PM
People are predisposed, Kanye could've had the one of the greatest sets ever at Coachella but that still wouldn't quell their nitpicking.

This reminds of those bigoted Tea-bagger fucks who hate on Obama no matter what he does.

OK Calculator
04-18-2011, 07:15 PM
^ yeah you sounded like a chinaman there "people are predispose". Nice save.

obzen
04-18-2011, 07:15 PM
OK Calculator; feckless contrarian.

obzen
04-18-2011, 07:16 PM
Also, stop jocking me.

OK Calculator
04-18-2011, 07:17 PM
you gonna write a haiku there buddy? lol.

travelfan
04-18-2011, 07:28 PM
Hah, what? Kanye exceeded all my expectations which were sky high to begin with. I thought his speeches were heartfelt, the energy high and the production fantastic. Our group all ranked his set as our favorite. I honestly can't put into words how amazing I found it.

Complaining about the lack of special guests is just ridiculous too, especially in this case too because I got the impression that this set meant a lot to Kanye personally. I personally think he wanted to keep the focus on him because of this, I think this was a huge milestone for him and because of that he wanted to focus more on his music rather than create hype for other artists. Whether you view that as selfish/egotistical or admirable is, of course, going to change from person to person.

And to anybody complaining about Daft Punk not coming on, you were an idiot to think that would even happen in the first place. They'll be at Coachella when they are ready.

TheMadeleine
04-18-2011, 11:18 PM
I wasn't too impressed with Kanye, but I don't get what people thought they were going to see when they headed to the Main Stage for his set. Honestly, it was exactly what I expected it to be.

This.

Me & my boyfriendchella had to leave because it was so "WORSHIP MEEEEEE I AM KANYEEEEE"-esque.

The Presents were an awesomely entertaining substitution.

elChurro
04-19-2011, 12:02 AM
act 2: beating traffic

AffliKtion
04-19-2011, 12:58 AM
I love Yeezy, but god damn his set was awful.

I dont want to hear him sing, I want to hear him rap.

I dont want to see a fucking play, I want to hear him rap.

If I wanted mommy issues I would listen to Eminem.

Garbage.

His little stint on the sampler was terrible as well.

boyalien0
04-19-2011, 01:16 AM
Suck a couple pimple-covered dicks. You might enjoy that. Swag.

Elskanminn
04-19-2011, 05:36 AM
Kanye was amongst the most amazing performances I've seen in my 6 times at Coachella. GENIUS! It's just unfortunate that such an epic performance happened in front of a crowd that had a good percentage of people who would never appreciate it and complain later as we're seeing here. Just one of the downsides of any music festival.. but no matter what anyone says, Kanye was my highlight.

hendrixfan143
04-19-2011, 06:20 AM
Fuck all of you.
BQfHVKwvO4Q

fnmore
04-19-2011, 06:32 AM
looks like fans and critics agree...........he killed it!!

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/kanye-wests-coachella-performance-rated-179777

basically what I saw was Kanye and a microphone..........a true artist giving 200%

EPIC

GuyInTucson
04-19-2011, 06:51 AM
He was good, but he could have and should have blew everyone's minds if he went to all the trouble of bringing people out and having a huge band. Like some huge Taiko drums during "Lost In The World" would've been badass, or some actual strings on the "All of the Lights" intro. He was good, but he could've pulled out all the stops and shut all of his critics up.

You really think his critics would have shut up had he "pulled out all the stops"? Give me a break. There are people here that can't even acknowledge the fact that his show had a lot of depth to it production wise. There are others that are criticizing him for not having a guest like Jay there (I mean, really?). People are searching for excuses to hate on him.

I can acknowledge a shitty show, been to several of them for bands / artists I like who did nothing but disappoint me. Kanye put a shitload of effort into his performance and it showed.

fnmore
04-19-2011, 06:59 AM
You really think his critics would have shut up had he "pulled out all the stops"? Give me a break. There are people here that can't even acknowledge the fact that his show had a lot of depth to it production wise. There are others that are criticizing him for not having a guest like Jay there (I mean, really?). People are searching for excuses to hate on him.

I can acknowledge a shitty show, been to several of them for bands / artists I like who did nothing but disappoint me. Kanye put a shitload of effort into his performance and it showed.

for real

but let's face it..............this is a Coachella audience we are talking about full of druggies looking for their next fix.......what the hell do they know about real music by real artists?

faxman75
04-19-2011, 07:00 AM
Was he as good as Jay-Z? Of course not. He's not as musically talented. That said he put on a good show. He kind of blew his load early but that entrance was fuckin brilliant. The production and rehearsals that went into that show had to be intense. Jay-Z had a band, special guests and top notch skills to fill that stage. Kanye had a giant stage to fill and he worked it all across. I thought the dramatics and choreography was fantastic but aside from that it was Kanye alone up there for 90 some minutes putting on a performance and wearing his heart on his sleeve. He put a ton of work into it and I think it showed as well. It was my least favorite of the three headlining performances but I still absolutely enjoyed it. I'm sorta meh towards much of his catalog to begin with. Most of the people who hated this performance didn't like Kanye to begin with so it's kind of pointless to watch or look for reasons to criticize if you have an agenda to begin with.

TheBlueJay
04-19-2011, 07:04 AM
Kanye did kinda suck. but emphasis on the kinda. He clearly can't sing at all (his records must be extremely engineered, no surprise) and when you show consists of you singing alone the whole time...he chose the right songs tho, and rapping along was certainly fun. The sound was horribly mixed (bass way up, highs way back, volume too low!) which was a travesty, because Kanye is a really good producer and the strength of his music is the beat. Couldn't he have had a live band? What was that bizarro backdrop/what did that have to do with Kanye? The ballerinas were fine with me, made it into more of a show. But overall, a pretty big disappointment. I was an avowed Kanye hater before the latest album, and I've done an about face. However, I factor live performance in, and Kanye didn't pass the test. So instead of being one of the best rappers alive, he remains an amazing producer and a kinda great rapper. STAMP

summerkid
04-19-2011, 07:10 AM
So let me get this straight...two keyboardists and a guitarist does not equal a live band, but a bassist and a drummer does? a guitarist and a drummer does? What's the magic formula guys?

TheBlueJay
04-19-2011, 07:15 AM
So let me get this straight...two keyboardists and a guitarist does not equal a live band, but a bassist and a drummer does? a guitarist and a drummer does? What's the magic formula guys?

I highly doubt those guys were playing anything. I have nothing to back it up, but it seemed like they were just pressing play, as each songs beat was the same as the recorded version

faxman75
04-19-2011, 07:25 AM

Yes rhythm section was used throughout during Jay-Z and more powerful than keyboards. How many songs did you hear that guitar during Kanye? I would say live drumming is the biggest difference.

OK Calculator
04-19-2011, 08:11 AM
Cool, suck a dick, trick!

No.

Suck a couple pimple-covered dicks. You might enjoy that. Swag.

Such profound and all-encompassing arguments from the I Love Kanye Camp.

obzen
04-19-2011, 08:13 AM
lol, you already quoted that...

get the fuck off me.

obzen
04-19-2011, 08:14 AM
Dummy.

OK Calculator
04-19-2011, 08:16 AM
Dummy.

and this

wstsidela
04-19-2011, 08:22 AM

You're an idiot. Do us a favor & kill yourself.

OK Calculator
04-19-2011, 08:26 AM
^ Or you could take Gold Digger off infinite repeat and address the grievances I have with his performance.

obzen
04-19-2011, 08:27 AM
I believe he actually thinks he thrives in here, how pathetic is that?

OK Calculator
04-19-2011, 08:41 AM
You believe I think . You you think I think? Wow that's pretty deep shit man. Chellaphilosopher.

obzen
04-19-2011, 08:46 AM
lulz, oh the pedantry... he's running out of shit to commentate on.

OK Calculator
04-19-2011, 08:51 AM
As opposed to your own staggering verbosity, broken up by your (inexplicably) customary six or so blank lines? Lol. Obzen, who are you kidding? You are no more valuabe/have contributed no more to these discussions than I have. I started the fire, and the community has fed it because it merits discussion. And all you've done is nipped at my heels and called ME the fool. Lol. If anyone is deluded and useless it is you sir. Speaking of which, I'll let you get back to it.

obzen
04-19-2011, 08:54 AM
He called me 'Sir'; starting to break down...

'lol'.

venturas90sgirl
04-19-2011, 09:02 AM
I woukdnt say sucked but just underwhelming. The entrance was great so I guess I was just hoping that it would build on that and it jist didn't. A solid show but definitely not Top 5.

SamYoolSun
04-19-2011, 05:41 PM
I didn't enjoy Kanyes set at all. It was the worst sunday closing act i've seen at coachella, i've been going since 07.

still_lurking
04-19-2011, 06:10 PM
for real

but let's face it..............this is a Coachella audience we are talking about full of druggies looking for their next fix.......what the hell do they know about real music by real artists?

Saying that the Coachella audience is a bunch of druggies is a big generalization. My group was sober the whole time, and we thought his "show" had cool fireworks, but so does Angel Stadium after a homerun is hit. Dodger Stadium has fireworks every Friday now (very cool by the way).

Fireworks and a crane does not equal a good show. He didnt do it as a headliner, not at all.

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy shows and productions. I've seen many at the Pantages Theatre. Sadly, the musicals I've seen at the Pantages (which are real "shows") have better vocals than Kanye's "set", and he is supposed to be the musician.

Kanye's vocals are horrible. It would have been better if he had danced around the stage, because he is a good "dancer" and stage "mover-arounder" to someone else's vocals.

Again, its called the Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival...not the Coachella "show". It is expected that the people they put on the stage sound above average. For someone closing the Festival on the main stage, I would hope it would be better than above average...and he was below average.

If I wanted to see a neat production, I'd go back to watch one of their well choreographed shows.

Also, I listened to Wiz Khalifa's set. His vocals were far superior to Kanye. So was Nas (except for when Damian Marley cut in).

dan13l
04-19-2011, 06:15 PM
I didn't enjoy Kanyes set at all. It was the worst sunday closing act i've seen at coachella, i've been going since 07.

I would have to put Gorillaz as the worst Sunday closer i've seen in the last 7 years.

concertgoer
04-19-2011, 06:18 PM
looks like fans and critics agree...........he killed it!!

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/kanye-wests-coachella-performance-rated-179777

basically what I saw was Kanye and a microphone..........a true artist giving 200%

EPIC

Totally agree

thom cobain
04-19-2011, 06:31 PM
this thread sucks. it sucks.

i was there and witnessed a crowd that loved Kanye, and he knew it.

ok calculator, you are annoying. don't quote me please.

i'm not trying to "argue" about it, or be "profound." when i want to do that, i will. right now, i just want to say, this thread fucking sucks. very simple.

stokedforchella
04-19-2011, 07:23 PM
I am a big Kanye fan but was actually pretty disappointed by his performance. He kept begging for the audience to applaud him while he would just sit there and soak it up, and everything was so grandiose and bombastic it was slowing down everything between actual songs.

When he was rapping, he pretty much killed it despite forgetting his own lyrics on classics like All Falls Down and Through The Wire and having to pick up a few beats later. And he has so many hits he could have kept the crowd moving the whole time like we were with Gold Digger, All of the Lights, etc. However, he chose to slow it down and sing gratingly in the middle of his act and when he did I watched people fleeing for the exits. His singing was okay when autotuned, but a lot of it was hard to listen to, especially after three days of some amazing vocalists.

I also got the feeling that his speech in the middle was contrived, and timed to the strings in the background. A lot of the remarks seemed designed to get an audience response that never happened. Whoops.

Ending on Hey Mama didn't seem like the best closing song, but I thought he finally showed some real emotion in that one, and had his best singing performance of the night.

But I think it was pretty appropriate for a Kanye West show. He even admitted he can't sing too well, but it's his Dark Twisted Fantasy right? If he wants to go up on stage and sing for his own pleasure, that's his prerogative. I'll still be his fan, but I think he has potential to do a better live show than that.

OK Calculator
04-19-2011, 08:40 PM
don't quote me please.

jigga wut?

nathanfairchild
04-19-2011, 08:42 PM
how is this thread still going on?

Strange
04-19-2011, 09:33 PM

The only way I could have had a better time is if he had a live band not a track. When it was just him at first I kinda thought "ahh this isn't going to be very good". Then he blew my mind by being human, and from then on I was so into it. Not even gonna lie, the "most important show since my mom died" then closing with the song to his mom brought tears to my eyes. But I am a sissy and live music tends to do that to me. lol.

bdb23
04-20-2011, 01:30 PM
who is Kudi?

it seems like you're more a huge fan of guest appearances than you are of HIS material.

because if you were truly a fan of HIS material. well, then this was the show for you. a lot of HIS material. I suggest going to a Rihanna concert if you want to see Rihanna. You'll have a 100% chance of seeing Rihanna if you do this, rather than going to a Kanye show expecting Rhianna, where you'll be let down a lot of the time. Just a friendly tip.

DFrank
04-20-2011, 08:48 PM
Has anybody else seen Kanye live recently? I'm just wondering if what he brought to Coachella is any different/special than what he usually has at his shows. Didn't he have Kid Cudi and JayZ at his SXSW performance? I know that it's not a 'Kanye with Friends' show, but it's an hour flight for any guests to come from LA.

I actually enjoyed his show at Coachella in 06...it seemed that he was more connecting with the audience rather than trying to play God onstage.

I hope this is my last post about Kanye...ever.

DFrank
04-20-2011, 08:52 PM
who is Kudi?

it seems like you're more a huge fan of guest appearances than you are of HIS material.

It just so happens that most of his hits have guest vocals. So it kinda sucks when you get on your toes in hopes to see someone else jump onstage.

Not everyone was happy with Gorillaz last year, but they did bring guests and had a legendary guitarist and bassist.

djandrews25
04-20-2011, 08:55 PM
"once in a lifetime"

like that statement even means anything. Every moment of your life is once in a lifetime. I've taken hundreds of "once in a lifetime" shits in my lifetime.

Funniest thing in this thread.

Failed State
04-20-2011, 09:00 PM
Kanye was doomed from the start. I am not a fan, but I thought his set was decent. He can't rap worth a shit, but he always has interesting beats. During the day i heard a lot of little boys in tight jeans tell their little girlfriends who were wearing ironic face paint that Kanye was going to suck. There was a lot of Kanye hate to begin, without any big guests, it was strike 4,5,6 for most people. Kanye was still better than KOL

nathanfairchild
04-20-2011, 09:02 PM
it just makes me wonder, with all of the hate Kanye was getting pre performance, it made me wonder if these people were just really big Taylor Swift fans

djandrews25
04-20-2011, 09:02 PM
On my way out i stopped for a song but couldnt get past his fucking horrible singing.

Failed State
04-20-2011, 09:07 PM
On my way out i stopped for a song but couldnt get past his fucking horrible singing.

Amen with that. Just give the poor bastard a goddamn blonde dyke so he can be done with rapping.

Failed State
04-20-2011, 09:09 PM
I still don't get why he hasn't played here yet. He did however play my prom
g9QN_Ma_6TA

Monko760
04-20-2011, 09:10 PM
Saying that the Coachella audience is a bunch of druggies is a big generalization. My group was sober the whole time, and we thought his "show" had cool fireworks, but so does Angel Stadium after a homerun is hit. Dodger Stadium has fireworks every Friday now (very cool by the way).

Fireworks and a crane does not equal a good show. He didnt do it as a headliner, not at all.

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy shows and productions. I've seen many at the Pantages Theatre. Sadly, the musicals I've seen at the Pantages (which are real "shows") have better vocals than Kanye's "set", and he is supposed to be the musician.

Kanye's vocals are horrible. It would have been better if he had danced around the stage, because he is a good "dancer" and stage "mover-arounder" to someone else's vocals.

Again, its called the Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival...not the Coachella "show". It is expected that the people they put on the stage sound above average. For someone closing the Festival on the main stage, I would hope it would be better than above average...and he was below average.

If I wanted to see a neat production, I'd go back to watch one of their well choreographed shows.

Also, I listened to Wiz Khalifa's set. His vocals were far superior to Kanye. So was Nas (except for when Damian Marley cut in).

This Bitces! I will recant all my hate if people will just stop sucking Kanye's dick and realize the show was JUST KANYE, and mediocre at best, when compared to past Coacehella headliners.

Failed State
04-20-2011, 09:13 PM
This Bitces! I will recant all my hate if people will just stop sucking Kanye's dick and realize the show was JUST KANYE, and mediocre at best, when compared to past Coacehella headliners.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_nw8fcHV1bdE/R77sBCHDaiI/AAAAAAAACdU/1rbp37cNuZ0/s400/jjrs.jpg

nathanfairchild
04-20-2011, 09:15 PM
^ were you just sitting on that, waiting for a chance to use that, and wishing the opportunity would present itself?

Failed State
04-20-2011, 09:19 PM
^ were you just sitting on that, waiting for a chance to use that, and wishing the opportunity would present itself?

It is how 99.9% of my posts on here work. I go months without posting, but I am on here almost everyday.

Monko760
04-20-2011, 10:52 PM
LOL I half enjoyed Kanye at times, I don't think I could say the same if I were to have sat through Jacks set.

dabassman
04-20-2011, 11:57 PM
Why the hell would you want Rhianna there? She isn't beyonce and he wasn't trying to be like Jay-z's Fade to Black concert. He killed it the dancers were sick, the sound was sick the stage set-up was sick and his energy and performance was sick. Kudi was in LA playing his SOLD OUT show at the Palladium. You can tell he knew where he was gonna play and he pulled out all the stops. Stop hating and if you want guest appearances then don't watch him go watch shows of all the people you wish were there because obviously you didn't want to see Kanye. Stop hating and recognize an amazing show when you see one. Im sure you're a HUGE FAN of Neon Trees!

PJandBompton
04-21-2011, 01:40 AM
Amen with that. Just give the poor bastard a goddamn blonde dyke so he can be done with rapping.

"and i did EVERYTHING for that blonde dyke...and she'll do anything for the limelight..."

Mr. Dylanja
04-21-2011, 02:01 AM
as much as i don't want to say it, it's true.

Hayleymoo
04-21-2011, 01:29 PM
kanye PERFORMED! idk where people go expecting a surprise guest. jay-z brought his wife out last year for his last song so somehow in peoples head they think kanye will bring out someone? rihanna and katy perry bought tickets to coachella, they're not about to perform

thom cobain
04-21-2011, 01:42 PM
I enjoyed the singing. Also the speech. He a real soulful dude.

Kanye can't rap? Out of your stupid mind.

DaFunkyPrecedent
04-22-2011, 09:33 AM
1st half of Kanye was killer...then once 808 heartbreak came into the picture it fizzled. Then he started fucking up his lyrics and missing his ques...I expected something much greater...it's wasn't horrible, but it wasn't the best performance of the weekend by any means. I mean, he couldn't have gotten anybody else to join him on the stage? I mean half of those folks live in LA...

guedita
04-22-2011, 09:41 AM

tfslY_AvhLw

casey
04-22-2011, 11:09 AM

Haha, same. I watched 4-5 songs (a few at the beginning and a few at the end) but I couldn't get past it either. Apparently he admitted during the set that he can't sing for shit though (can someone confirm he said that?), so at least he acknowledges it.

Mcoppel
04-22-2011, 11:24 AM
Worst headliner i have ever see in COACHELLA, I have always book everything before the lineup comes up, not doing that next year, this COACHELLA was weak.

BeeII
04-22-2011, 01:13 PM
I wasn't impressed. It was OK, but he didn't pull out all the stops. You have to bring more than he did if you're going to headline Coachella.

And yes I'm going to compare to Jay-Z, only because Jay-Z was the first big Rap act headlining the festival.

Jay-Z:

1. Live Band (made a HUGE difference, come on Kanye, you could have hired a live band to back you)
2. Beyonce guest. I'm sure Kanye could have brought someone over.

Him there rapping over a recorded track, meh.

and where were the fishsticks? huh? even the haters at Kanye disappointed.

GuyInTucson
04-22-2011, 01:15 PM
Worst headliner i have ever see in COACHELLA, I have always book everything before the lineup comes up, not doing that next year, this COACHELLA was weak.

never come again please...

Complain about Kanye all you want but saying this Coachella was weak is just blasphemy.

concertgoer
04-22-2011, 01:28 PM
All the Kanye haters in this thread are just dumb

Mr. Dylanja
04-22-2011, 01:41 PM
Let's be honest, the guy has no breath control. That's part of Emceeing 101.

sonicc
04-22-2011, 01:56 PM
I don't know why anyone argues with anyone on this forum about Kanye. 75% of the people on this forum hate Kanye and everything revolving around him, so none of these opinions really matter. Every critic says he blew Coachella out of the water, so why are people here even arguing? I'm pretty sure someone who does performance reviews has a little more say than some idiots on a forum who think they are music elitists but aren't nothing more than just some dudes with a keyboard and a monitor.

Kanye killed, end of story.

Garbarator
04-22-2011, 02:00 PM
yes, their opinions are so much more superior to ours. lol.

Mr. Dylanja
04-22-2011, 02:03 PM
It's a music message board, what are we supposed to do?

I like Kanye, that was the third time I've seen him. I know he puts his all into performing, I just wish he concentrated on how he sounded more, that's all. I don't think that's too much to ask. I understand most rap sounds terrible live anyways, but if he wants to be in the upper echelon with Jay and Em, he needs to work on it.

GuyInTucson
04-22-2011, 02:09 PM
I hate getting sucked back into these Kanye threads, but,

The breath control issue is debateable. I have seen a Kanye freestyle where he raps for several minutes, flawlessly, non-stop.

Then there is Nas (who is a hip hop legend) who basically leaves large portions of verses out in live performances because he takes a breath. Usually he has a hype man there to help out but it really stood out when he played with Damian at Coachella. Yet, they were still one of my favorite performances of the weekend.

Either way, I know I am not convincing anyone else to like Kanye's set, and no one is going to convince me to dislike it. Like I said in another thread, different strokes and all that good stuff.

Mr. Dylanja
04-22-2011, 02:12 PM
The breath control issue is debateable. I have seen a Kanye freestyle where he raps for several minutes, flawlessly, non-stop.

And was he this on point Sunday?

I enjoyed it, I'm glad I got to hear the songs of his I wanted to. I'm just saying, he has potential to be a lot better, that's all.

darkjustice
04-22-2011, 02:14 PM

chumpy

DANCE MAGIC
04-22-2011, 02:16 PM
I'm pretty sure someone who does performance reviews has a little more say than some idiots on a forum who think they are music elitists but aren't nothing more than just some dudes with a keyboard and a monitor.

1) some of the people that post on this board are actually the same people that write those "performance reviews" that you're talking about.

2) the people that write those reviews are also just some dudes with a keyboard and a monitor.

concertgoer
04-22-2011, 02:18 PM
But the people who write these reviews for a living don't have a bias against Kanye like many people in this thread do.

DANCE MAGIC
04-22-2011, 02:19 PM
rihanna and katy perry bought tickets to coachella

do you honestly believe that? i mean i realize they were there, but being there =/= actually paying for a ticket.

But the people who write these reviews for a living don't have a bias against Kanye like many people in this thread do.

how do you know?

GuyInTucson
04-22-2011, 02:22 PM
And was he this on point Sunday?

I enjoyed it, I'm glad I got to hear the songs of his I wanted to. I'm just saying, he has potential to be a lot better, that's all.

Don't get me wrong, I am not one of these people calling his set the greatest thing I have ever seen at Coachella or one of the top three Coachella sets ever. I still think Jay's set was better than his. For me, seeing Jay-Z (much like Nas this year) was a nostalgic treat for me and his show was arguably the best big stage hip hop performance I have seen in my lifetime.

My issue is that I smell a lot of bullshit in this thread. Meaning a lot of people (not you... you make valid arguments and do so without being a douche) are hating on Kanye while trying to convince me they like his music and proceed to make post after post telling everyone why it is fact (to them) that Kanye's set was atrocious.... Sorry, not buying it. Then there is the demographic that just hates Kanye for being Kanye. He really could have put on the greatest show in the history of Coachella and there would STILL be a large portion of this board that would find ways to trash it.

concertgoer
04-22-2011, 02:26 PM
do you honestly believe that? i mean i realize they were there, but being there =/= actually paying for a ticket.

how do you know?

Did you spend any time in the lineup forum after the lineup came out this year?
Like Tuscon said some people just hate Kanye no matter what so their opinion of his performance is of no value or interest to me.

DANCE MAGIC
04-22-2011, 02:59 PM
Did you spend any time in the lineup forum after the lineup came out this year?
Like Tuscon said some people just hate Kanye no matter what so their opinion of his performance is of no value or interest to me.

Right. I wasn't disputing that part.

What makes you think that these "performance reviewers" aren't just as biased about Kanye as the people on the board?

DANCE MAGIC
04-22-2011, 03:00 PM
For the record, I would call myself a fan of Kanye West. I thought the show was good... not great, but he didn't suck or anything.

Mugwog
04-22-2011, 04:11 PM
Kanye was interesting for about 20 minutes, then the party BPM slowed down and a few in our group went to close out with Axwell.

Kanye DID sound better than when he did his random daytime appearance a few years back, it was an impressive for an entrance, didn't beat Peter Murphy of Bauhaus w/ "Bella Legosi's Dead" - Hanging upside down for ten minutes 15-20ft in the air > cherry picker crane.

I thought the Sisteen Chapel and God pose was "appropriate for Kanye" it didn't really help his inflated ego though.

Definitely not the best show of the weekend, I would hand that to Empire of the Sun or the Chemical Brothers. Whose set just seemed way too short.

GolfWang
04-22-2011, 04:46 PM

I'm glad someone else who was really excited for this set agrees with me. I thought I was just turning into a grumpy hater.

Mr. Dylanja
04-22-2011, 05:03 PM
No, GolfWang, you're not a guedita.

Monko760
04-22-2011, 06:44 PM
Kanye was interesting for about 20 minutes, then the party BPM slowed down and a few in our group went to close out with Axwell.

Kanye DID sound better than when he did his random daytime appearance a few years back, it was an impressive for an entrance, didn't beat Peter Murphy of Bauhaus w/ "Bella Legosi's Dead" - Hanging upside down for ten minutes 15-20ft in the air > cherry picker crane.

I thought the Sisteen Chapel and God pose was "appropriate for Kanye" it didn't really help his inflated ego though.

Definitely not the best show of the weekend, I would hand that to Empire of the Sun or the Chemical Brothers. Whose set just seemed way too short.
bump for this. Kanye was mediocre!

naruto_kenshin
04-22-2011, 07:00 PM
He put on a great show. But near the end I was kinda wishing I would've bowed out from the front.

Mainly beacause some big sweaty douche was dancing around spraying his sweat on everyone he touched and saying stupid ass things like "GO BIG OR GO HOME BABY"

I was tripping and like WTF!!???!??!....... brought me down hard
Muscle-heads.... please stay at home for coachella. no-one gives the shit is you are big and strong and excited

arsgunner
04-22-2011, 07:02 PM
too bad you didn't watch the presets close coachella out

Monko760
04-22-2011, 07:04 PM
I was tripping and like WTF!!???!??!....... brought me down hard
Muscle-heads.... please stay at home for coachella. no-one gives the shit is you are big and strong and excited

Was it Ronny from Jersey Shore?

Kanye was mediocre.

seitron
04-22-2011, 07:28 PM
Apparently he admitted during the set that he can't sing for shit though (can someone confirm he said that?), so at least he acknowledges it.

Confirmed for you. He was going on some spiel about how he may hit a couple of notes flat, but everything he does is about the music or something. It was pretty funny to watch him butcher the singing that terribly later on haha.

Best moment of the set - when he started playing Harder and everyone in the crowd gasped and jumped up on their tippy-toes. The look of excitement followed by extreme massive disappointment at the lack of Daft Punk was priceless. PRICELESS!!

If you saw this set and did not enjoy it, you need to lower your fucking expectations.

Monko760
04-22-2011, 07:33 PM
Best moment of the set - when he started playing Harder and everyone in the crowd gasped and jumped up on their tippy-toes. The look of excitement followed by extreme massive disappointment at the lack of Daft Punk was priceless. PRICELESS!!

If you saw this set and did not enjoy it, you need to lower your fucking expectations.

LOL AGREED!

Expectations were low but were hoping to get a boost, so my expectations are staying low despite me trying to raise them from a good set that didnt happen.

You had your chance to wow me Kanye and you blew it!

naruto_kenshin
04-22-2011, 07:42 PM
LOL AGREED!

Expectations were low but were hoping to get a boost, so my expectations are staying low despite me trying to raise them from a good set that didnt happen.

You had your chance to wow me Kanye and you blew it!

I'm sure he feels bad. (fucking idiot)

Monko760
04-23-2011, 01:10 AM
I'm sure he feels bad. (fucking idiot)

Kanye's ego and god complex, despite his attempts to quell it, make him incapable of a show with any real emotion. I was rolling for Kanye and felt distant from him, yet sober for Jay-Z and was excited into dancing. Not that Power didn't get me off my ass, but it was down hill from there.

Once again.

Mediocre at best when compared to past Coachella Sunday closers.

McFearless
04-24-2011, 01:11 AM
How can you measure someone else's emotions? Idk. I just feel like he gave it his all He was doing his Jesus walk, dancing, talking. He was the most human that night than I've ever seen him before. He was amazing!

The only thing that ruined it is being sexually assaulted by some old dude who decided to press up against me in the crowd and had a fucking boner. I wish I would have screamed and punched him or something.

Monko760
04-24-2011, 02:55 PM
How can you measure someone else's emotions? Idk. I just feel like he gave it his all He was doing his Jesus walk, dancing, talking. He was the most human that night than I've ever seen him before. He was amazing!

The only thing that ruined it is being sexually assaulted by some old dude who decided to press up against me in the crowd and had a fucking boner. I wish I would have screamed and punched him or something.

Because of his past actions and then the whole show was about him and his productions(the songs atrak played on the computer) and his mom and how blah blah blah. He was giving it his all, I have no doubt, but his all is self centered, and so are his lyrics.

Sorry you got molested. =(

malcolmjamalawesome
04-24-2011, 03:24 PM
Because of his past actions and then the whole show was about him and his productions(the songs atrak played on the computer) and his mom and how blah blah blah. He was giving it his all, I have no doubt, but his all is self centered, and so are his lyrics.

Oh my god. So self-centered. With the whole being centered on his mom. Which is a completely different person.

Monko760
04-24-2011, 03:25 PM
Oh my god. So self-centered. With the whole being centered on his mom. Which is a completely different person.

that the best you got?

malcolmjamalawesome
04-24-2011, 03:30 PM
that the best you got?

I suppose I could make some sort of diagram for this:

Monko760
04-24-2011, 03:34 PM
I suppose I could make some sort of diagram for this:

So because Kanye didn't impress me you are going to make a diagram?

nathanfairchild
04-24-2011, 03:35 PM
no, the diagram would be from one of your many retarded posts

Monko760
04-24-2011, 03:37 PM
Seriously it looks like you have only been partying for 3 years. Get some experience and quit trying to look cool by having the festivals you went to or are going to in your sig. Quit trolling my posts as well nub.

malcolmjamalawesome
04-24-2011, 03:38 PM
Yeah, nub.

I may also map out the contours of this gem:

Not that the cube show was bad, but the Mua5 has nothing on the robots. Actually I did think the cube show was bad and I went hoping for something good. I guess my biased opinion is null.

nathanfairchild
04-24-2011, 03:39 PM
haha

Monko760
04-24-2011, 03:41 PM
Yeah, nub.

I may also map out the contours of this gem:

I know quite a glorious gem indeed. Kanye and Deadmua5, both fucking garbage who can produce a studio track, and thats about it.

Im sorry I goto shows with the hope of being impressed only to be let down by bad music masked by a good lightshow!

nathanfairchild
04-24-2011, 03:43 PM
yeah, because researching an artist is sooooooooo hard

Monko760
04-24-2011, 03:43 PM
When was your first real party nathan?

edit: why did you change your location? ashamed of being from texas?

nathanfairchild
04-24-2011, 03:44 PM
like from high school?

malcolmjamalawesome
04-24-2011, 03:44 PM
When was your first real party nathan?

I can handle this one:

UFSyBBglmpI

Good times.

malcolmjamalawesome
04-24-2011, 03:47 PM
Monko - are you trying to establish that nathan hasn't been partying very long based on the festival attendance shown in his signature, so therefore, his opinions about music or about you are not valid, and therefore, nathan doesn't have the right to be highly concerned by your lack of fundamental grammar and communication skills?