PDA

View Full Version : Acts that played this year that will headline some day

grichsgang
04-17-2011, 11:25 PM
Other than the headliners, of course. Not saying these were the best, but just those destined to headline. My list:

Black Keys -- should've headlined Friday. Howz 'bout next year?
Two Door Cinema Club
Neon Trees
Cold War Kids

softbulletin
04-17-2011, 11:26 PM
Joke thread?

dyltr0n3030
04-17-2011, 11:27 PM
kanye west round 2

bobberson27
04-17-2011, 11:27 PM
Other than the headliners, of course. Not saying these were the best, but just those destined to headline. My list:

Neon Trees

wait... really???

grichsgang
04-17-2011, 11:29 PM
I said not the best. They had KOL this year.

bobberson27
04-17-2011, 11:30 PM
KOL were decent southern rockers before they sold their souls to become popular. Neon Trees will be forgotten about in a couple years, no way they re-create the success of "Animal"

TomAz
04-17-2011, 11:42 PM
OFF!. Keith said so.

bobberson27
04-18-2011, 12:34 AM
OFF! would be incredible.

I can see Cage the Elephant as a sub-headliner in a few years; excellent live show there.

motionnn77
04-18-2011, 12:44 AM
OFF!. Keith said so.

Yes, he did.

motionnn77
04-18-2011, 12:44 AM
My vote is Phantagram.

OK Calculator
04-18-2011, 01:06 AM
Sleigh Bells

Courtney
04-18-2011, 01:09 AM
The Pains of Being Pure at Heart

OK Calculator
04-18-2011, 01:20 AM
Skrillex

Jman4321
04-18-2011, 01:22 AM
I wouldn't even be able to get mad about Skrillex headlining because it would be so fucking funny.

Seriously though, it's Korn.

koryp
04-18-2011, 01:35 AM
OFF!. Keith said so.

Simultaneously the most painful(my wife and I have awesome new scars from that set), and shortest headliner in history.

Did you watch Duran Duran like Keith told you to?

Jman4321
04-18-2011, 01:39 AM
I somehow managed to only see Duran Duran perform Hungry Like The Wolf, Rio, the James Bond theme, Girls On Film, and nothing else. That went about as good as it could have gone for me. Also lol at the Poker Face cover.

concertgoer
04-18-2011, 01:48 AM

Black Keys -- should've headlined Friday. Howz 'bout next year?
Two Door Cinema Club
Neon Trees
Cold War Kids
I was really surprised that they totally filled the Mojave. I think they have the potential to be a top 4 or 5 act in a few years time.

koryp
04-18-2011, 01:49 AM
The most suprising thing about the OFF! set was fighting our way off the rail to get air and rolling out into that empty space. We had no fucking idea what was happening behind us. The rest of the crowd looked like they were watching a highschool fight. Most intense 30 minutes of Sunday.

thenoiboi
04-18-2011, 02:37 AM
OFF!. Keith said so.

such a cool guy. i love that there were more songs AND banter in this set than almost any other all weekend.

GuyInTucson
04-18-2011, 02:46 AM
OFF!. Keith said so.

Don't forget that Obama will introduce them as his favorite band.

kvnty
04-18-2011, 06:13 AM
The Pains of Being Pure at Heart

TPOBPAH sounded great after that painfully long sound check. Just need to get more of a stage presence. Sleigh Bells was in this predicament last year but definitely commanded the stage at Coachella on Friday. Was not expecting that many people at Sleigh Bells. They freaking rocked it and will be huge after their next record.

kvnty
04-18-2011, 06:15 AM
Sleigh Bells

^ oh, yes.

grichsgang
04-18-2011, 08:49 AM
TPOBPAH sounded great after that painfully long sound check. Just need to get more of a stage presence. Sleigh Bells was in this predicament last year but definitely commanded the stage at Coachella on Friday. Was not expecting that many people at Sleigh Bells. They freaking rocked it and will be huge after their next record.

I caught about 3-4 songs of their set before Tame Impala and they were rocking.

Cheddar's Cousin
04-18-2011, 08:52 AM
I somehow managed to only see Duran Duran perform Hungry Like The Wolf, Rio, the James Bond theme, Girls On Film, and nothing else. That went about as good as it could have gone for me. Also lol at the Poker Face cover.

You must have been at The National. That's exactly what I heard as I walked over to get some dinner.

Also, I will begin traing now so I'll be able to last for more than one song in the pit when Off! headlines. I figure they'll have to do at least 45 minutes.

microcuts
04-18-2011, 10:13 AM
Animal Collective, the way Coachella headliners are headed.

Grant
04-18-2011, 10:14 AM
neon trees is laughable

rasooli
04-18-2011, 10:17 AM
Foster the People. They killed it on the webcam.

dan13l
04-18-2011, 10:18 AM
Interpol

rasooli
04-18-2011, 10:23 AM
Quite the reverse with Interpol...Interpol was the first band I've ever seen actually downgrade from a previous slot. At this rate they'll eventually open the Gobi.

dyltr0n3030
04-18-2011, 10:26 AM

I am 100% okay with that.

xxxxxxxxxx
04-18-2011, 10:31 AM
I'm not a fan but I can see an act like Mumford & Sons headlining after they put out another record or two.

Lil B and Titus Andronicus in a perfect world.

CitizenJ
04-18-2011, 10:46 AM
The Black Keys / Mumford & Sons / The National / Animal Collective / Bright Eyes (as a Reunion booking).. Can't see many others, and those are all highly billed bands. Maybe Tame Impala or Sleigh Bells. and that Brandon Flowers guy has something. Who knows, if he gets some guys around him maybe one day he can headline as well.

juddyboyo8o
04-18-2011, 10:53 AM
The Black Keys / Mumford & Sons / The National / Animal Collective / Bright Eyes (as a Reunion booking).. Can't see many others, and those are all highly billed bands. Maybe Tame Impala or Sleigh Bells. and that Brandon Flowers guy has something. Who knows, if he gets some guys around him maybe one day he can headline as well.

Agree with most on your list. The Black Keys is obvious and the National is one I'd really like to see. Tame Impala is a possibility, but there gonna need to up their stage presence, but possibly after a couple more albums. Maybe Cage the Elephant in a few years?

ajax4747
04-18-2011, 11:06 AM
Mumford & Sons, not that I agree with it

Courtney
04-18-2011, 11:30 AM
I think that it's a no-brainer to say that sub-headliners like The Black Keys or Animal Collective are going to headline -- I mean they are already headlining other major festivals and it's pretty much inevitable. What's more interesting is to try to pick the one or two gems in the massive list of under-card bands who have the potential to snowball to popular success in the next 5-10 years or so, like Arcade Fire from 2005.

JAvina1283
04-18-2011, 12:02 PM
The National would be great to see Headlining. Their entire set was perfect. This band has a future if they continue to release great music.

Mabdul Doobakus
04-18-2011, 12:52 PM

TPOBPAH seemed like a really nice group of people...like, almost too nice. It detracts a bit from their stage presence. But I thought this was a nice set that picked up steam after a bit of a slow start. Maybe the mix changed, or maybe I just settled into it, but it sounded a lot better at the end than it did in the beginning. I think experience will improve their stage presence. Will they ever headline, though? I doubt it.

Sleigh Bells was awesome. I don't know that they ever headline, but if they can expand their repertoire just a little, a sub-headline slot wouldn't be out of the question.

I think Foals have headliner potential. They're obviously very new and very young, but they are very gifted as songwriters and performers. Their set was terrific, especially given that it was at 3:15 PM.

I'm gonna suggest Cut Copy as well. This band should be huge.

MissingPerson
04-18-2011, 01:07 PM
If I had a tenner and a lot of time to wait, I'd say Foals.

baily
04-18-2011, 01:14 PM
Cage the Elephant will be headlining before long.

ballroomdancer22
04-18-2011, 01:35 PM
Definately Mumford and Sons

IlliniQ
04-18-2011, 01:41 PM
Quite the reverse with Interpol...Interpol was the first band I've ever seen actually downgrade from a previous slot. At this rate they'll eventually open the Gobi.

A fate that will be well deserved...a limited niche band that knocked out the one great record they have in them a decade ago and have done nothing since to warrant much attention.

Not sure why they were even on lineup this year, even more perplexed why I subjected myself to their full set this year...guess I wanted to give em a chance to prove me wrong, instead confirmed my beliefs...a dreadfully dull show.

BlackSwan
04-18-2011, 01:44 PM
Cut Copy

ballroomdancer22
04-18-2011, 01:48 PM
A fate that will be well deserved...a limited niche band that knocked out the one great record they have in them a decade ago and have done nothing since to warrant much attention.

Not sure why they were even on lineup this year, even more perplexed why I subjected myself to their full set this year...guess I wanted to give em a chance to prove me wrong, instead confirmed my beliefs...a dreadfully dull show.

there's no accounting for taste.

I was at the main stage strictly for them and then left once their set ended.
I thought they did just fine.

but you're right they have receded as is clear by their billing....they should call it quits while there is still some gas in the tank and reunite for Coachella 2021 and close the outdoor theater while Willow Smith headlines the mainstage....

IlliniQ
04-18-2011, 01:58 PM
The National would be great to see Headlining. Their entire set was perfect. This band has a future if they continue to release great music.

I Agree with this.

If they put out another record like High Violet/Boxer I think it's all but guaranteed...but they've already put out three stellar releases in row...very few bands can sustain a creative peak much longer than that. I've got to think next release will be a major let down just by law of averages.

Of other acts - Foals displayed more chops than any other act this week, and was probably my top set...but they don't have a ton of personality (it's more just their raw musicianship that's so impressive), and I still think as good as they were they're searching to lock in on who they really are artistically/conceptually.

Elbow doesn't have the following, so will never happen, but after their set this year I have no doubt they could commandingly deliver a phenomenal headlining set if given the chance.

PJ Harvey also proved she'd be totally up to the challenge - but again not sure if enough of a fan base is there.

Kanye/Arcade Fire again is definite possibility.

Much farther down the line, fan base is no where there yet, but I saw tremendous potential in the following youngsters and suspect they may be poised for long, very successful careers.

1. Twin Shadow - They call him the Black Morissey...but much more of a Prince-like master of all trades vibe to him live...only caught opening three songs but right away was caught saying to myself...this guy is a talent...watch out.

2. The Love Language - No early day band felt more fully formed and clear in it's artistic identity than this Walkmen-like but more fun young act on Superchunk's merge label. Seem to have all the components...chemistry, lead singer with a fantastic voice, true joy of performing, clarity of vision. Maybe too pop versus rock...but watch out for these kids.

3. Freelance Whales - Very endearing nerd-rock...again probably too twee/poppy...but was very impressed.

Still-ill
04-18-2011, 02:05 PM
OFF!. Keith said so.

I got punched in the face because I wore glasses during OFF!

JelloPuddingChat
04-18-2011, 02:05 PM
OFF!. Keith said so.

Don't forget that Obama will introduce them as his favorite band.

The Hooters Girls Drill Team!

stellarpoet22
04-18-2011, 02:21 PM
I hated mumford and sons, really never thought I would care for them.....but there set was good very talented....I'm still not a fan though, just respect

CiderMouseRules
04-18-2011, 02:31 PM
You guys are batty. Almost none of the bands mentioned have a big enough sound to carry a mainstage.

Cut Copy, maybe one day. I think you can bet on The National headlining in the next five years.

thom cobain
04-18-2011, 02:32 PM
none

Phantasma Del Mar
04-18-2011, 02:35 PM
Mumford & Sons could have practically headlined this year, the crowd fucking LOVED them. I can definitely see it happening after a couple more albums.

grichsgang
04-18-2011, 02:48 PM
Mumford & Sons could have practically headlined this year, the crowd fucking LOVED them. I can definitely see it happening after a couple more albums.

I'm trying to figure out the intense venom directed their way. My ears hear great melody and harmony, smart lyrics sung well and with passion and solid instrumentation. Not saying what I hear is better than what you hear, but just curious about why the sharp negativity, that's all.

continuityerror
04-18-2011, 03:08 PM

Dear god i hope not.

This is a pretty weighted question, but I'm sure Trentemøller, Sleigh Bells & Duck Sauce will get higher up on the bill in the future.

summerkid
04-18-2011, 03:09 PM

Seriously, I think they had a bigger crowd than Kings of Leon and like you said the crowd was loving it for some reason. They were singing along the whole time.

elbrycen
04-18-2011, 04:32 PM
and that Brandon Flowers guy has something. Who knows, if he gets some guys around him maybe one day he can headline as well.

lol. has coachella ever had repeat headliners?

no1cares
04-18-2011, 05:09 PM
All I could think when I was watching The National was what is it going to take for these guys to get on the main stage as a sub-headliner? I don't know that they will ever get big enough to be a headliner but they most certainly deserve the chance to be seen by more people. Their set was extremely powerful and a big improvement over 2009, which I really enjoyed as well. They seem like a perfect band to play right before a headliner in the future, and I don't think anyone who saw their set yesterday would disagree.

Somewhat Damaged
04-18-2011, 05:24 PM
I'm trying to figure out the intense venom directed [Mumford & Sons'] way. My ears hear great melody and harmony, smart lyrics sung well and with passion and solid instrumentation. Not saying what I hear is better than what you hear, but just curious about why the sharp negativity, that's all.

It happens on this board sometimes, a bit of groupthink where it becomes cool to not just not care for a band, but get hyperbolic about how much you loathe them. Maybe it's because they get overplayed on the radio? I wouldn't know because I only ever listen to CDs or my iPod, but I listened to them as a result of their being on the line-up and thought they sounded fine, then was really impressed by their Grammy performance. Their set on Saturday was really good and their 2 new songs were terrific, boding well for an avoidance of the sophomore slump. They won't headline with their next album, but if that one's well received commercially & critically, they're a lock to headline when they've got their 3rd coming out.

Foals looks to be headliner worthy after a couple more albums, too. Good Christ, I can't get over how amazing their set was. And to whoever said they don't have any stage presence, I disagree. I thought the frontman was charismatic even if he wasn't talking to the audience -- his movement on stage and engagement of the crowd was still effective. I hope they keep on getting better and make good on the boundless potential they have.

MissingPerson
04-18-2011, 05:32 PM
Hey, I recognise that signature.

Anyhoo, re: Mumford. I've gone into it elsewhere, but for me it's a combo of their massive, massive overexposure here to a sense that something about them tastes just a little bit more metallic and calculated than it should. The kind of music they play, if you doubt their conviction for even one second, it won't work and it just doesn't work for me.

They work in small doses, but any more than that, and I think their flaws become apparent. I find it hard to imagine them being headliners, because I don't know that they've got another summer like the last one in them. I think they'll be solid festival bookings for years to come, and that's where they'll stay.

JelloPuddingChat
04-18-2011, 05:36 PM
What MP said. I think they're full of shit.

knytt
04-18-2011, 06:21 PM
The National certainly deserve it the most based on that last set.