PDA

View Full Version : Lightning Bolt playing to about 15% of the Gobi's capacity....

PointBlank
04-17-2011, 07:51 PM
...and fucking killing it! Most are missing a great set...

Apex17
04-17-2011, 08:24 PM
Thats TRAGIC! damn i woulda loved to be there for that.

xxxxxxxxxx
04-17-2011, 08:25 PM
one of the top 10 must see acts at coachella this year and no one is watching? tragic indeed.

krk67
04-17-2011, 08:27 PM
It won't be the first nor the last time a great set was missed because an enormous chunk of the festival goers went to another stage. It happens. It always breaks my heart for the band.

GuyInTucson
04-17-2011, 08:31 PM
Well, to be honest, they sounded pretty bad when I passed by.

Alchemist559
04-17-2011, 08:58 PM
Well, to be honest, they sounded pretty bad when I passed by.

I was there, they were fucking great. That drummer must have sold his soul to Satan to be that fucking fast.

JAvina1283
04-17-2011, 09:43 PM
I was there, they were fucking great. That drummer must have sold his soul to Satan to be that fucking fast.

Fuck yeah!!!. I was watching The National so I couldn't see the whole set. But I saw a good 15 minutes and I was BLOWN AWAY! the drummer rules!

Apex17
04-17-2011, 10:16 PM
Brian Chippendale baby...actually know the guy personally....he is an awesome/smart/down to earth dude. They arent supposed to sound clean and refined...thats never been what lightning bolt is about....i bet it was loud as fuck though.

grannock
04-17-2011, 10:29 PM
I woulda been there.

TomAz
04-17-2011, 11:11 PM
I hurried over to the Gobi after the National and caught the end of their set. They ran quite late (I guess they started late) and so I saw a good half hour. My ears are still ringing. They were really intense in the greatest sense of that word. So glad I went.

Jman4321
04-18-2011, 12:50 AM
Goddammit. I was waiting all weekend for this and when I went to see them the band before was still playing over their timeslot by a lot. I thought I cut my losses by going to get a good spot for the Strokes but now I'm regretting that decision.

motionnn77
04-18-2011, 12:52 AM
I found them while looking for another band. I stayed for a good half hour. This was my day for noise bands: OFF!, HEALTH, DFA 1979 and Lightening Bolt.

They weren't boring.

Jman4321
04-18-2011, 01:02 AM
Really enjoyed Health.

Orbaddict
04-18-2011, 01:52 AM
Lightning Bolt rarely have a bad show. I've been to (including today) 3 of their shows. They usually set up in the crowd, guess GV said that's not an option.
Gavin

concertgoer
04-18-2011, 02:08 AM
LOL at how small the crowd was for Electric Touch on Saturday. I noticed that after walking back from Elbow

thenoiboi
04-18-2011, 02:25 AM
i was there. and yeah, schmamazing. i have video i'll post once i get everything transferred to my home comp.

i was on the rail and my right ear is still ringing like a motherfucker. one of the funnest sets of the weekend for me.

Memorial_07
04-18-2011, 07:06 AM
Definitely number 1 band for me all weekend. I was just shocked at how god damn good they were.

How many amps does the bassist have? They were probably the loudest band I've ever seen.
Even louder than My Bloody Valentine in '09.

fiyahhh!
04-18-2011, 08:52 AM
Made it there for the last 10-15 minutes. Was blown away & immediately started kicking myself for not getting there sooner.

socalguy100
04-18-2011, 09:46 AM
LOL at how small the crowd was for Electric Touch on Saturday. I noticed that after walking back from Elbow

If you took Electric Touch's crowd from this year and combined it with their crowd from last time they played, it would have filled about 25% of the Gobi.

Got to Lightning Bolt for the last 15 minutes. It was possibly the longest 15 minutes of my life.

ivankay
04-18-2011, 09:52 AM
i got there for the end too. Every ounce of water must have poured out of that drummer. Incredible shit there. i took lot of pictures of flying beads of sweat.

thenoiboi
04-18-2011, 12:14 PM
i got there for the end too. Every ounce of water must have poured out of that drummer. Incredible shit there. i took lot of pictures of flying beads of sweat.

share, please! :D

JelloPuddingChat
04-18-2011, 12:19 PM
From what I saw, which was about a half hour of them, they killed. At first I though the sweat beads was water someone was throwing. Pretty cool sight.

ivankay
04-18-2011, 12:20 PM
share, please! :D

Working on it.

bmack86
04-18-2011, 12:48 PM
This was a clear highlight. I missed having them in the crowd, but the tradeoff was better sound than I've ever heard at a Lightning Bolt show. It was great to really be able to hear all the bass notes clearly and to even understand some of the vocals. They were super loud and totally on it, even if they didn't play any of the songs I wanted to hear.

parray
04-18-2011, 01:02 PM
Lightning Bolt were awesome, didn't catch all of there set as I couldn't tear myself away from The National, but what I saw they were awesome, the second time i've seen them, and they just seem to get better.
Bothe drums and guitar were awesome!

mmsk123
04-18-2011, 01:24 PM
I walked in a bit early to see Phantogram and was pretty impressed. The drummer is crazy. Was the emptiest I've ever seen a tent ever though. I mean there was maybe 10 or 15 rows of people back and that's about it.

misterpickles
04-18-2011, 01:35 PM
the sound was really loud and crisp, and i think the sparse crowd gave it a strange sense of intimacy (if you can even call lightning bolt "initimate").. they kicked ass. an incredible contrast to the beauty that was trentemoller

GolfWang
04-18-2011, 01:55 PM
Never liked their music on record (and probably never will), but this was an awesome surprise. Just happened to stop in for the first 3 songs and almost didn't leave to meet my friends for Ratatat. The drummer was wild, I don't know how that guy doesn't pass out half a song in.

pachucasunrise
04-18-2011, 02:54 PM
So disappointed I missed this.

CrimesceneCookie
04-18-2011, 04:07 PM
I stayed for the full set. Such a beautiful mess of chaos.

dorkfish
04-18-2011, 08:09 PM
big guy in the red lumberjack shirt destroyed the pit the first time he ran in. later he accidentally (?) demolished some girl who was gently moshing.

Memorial_07
04-18-2011, 08:20 PM
I saw that Grizzly Adams lookin' mo'fo tearing people up.

Anyone see the skinny kid with the sailor hat and camo short-shorts? He was getting down the whole time

Somewhat Damaged
04-18-2011, 08:34 PM
My wife was waiting for Phantogram & called me over to chat. I waited with her for 10 minutes and was put into a seriously foul mood. I thought they were fucking horrendous. Apparently not my cup of tea. It kept sounding like they were going to end (they were running over their time already) but the song just kept on going and going. Finally they stopped and I thought that was it, but when they said they have one more song, I was forceful about us vacating that tent. Worst of what I saw all weekend.

Apex17
04-18-2011, 08:35 PM
Any videos from the show yet???

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
04-18-2011, 08:37 PM
My wife was waiting for Phantogram & called me over to chat. I waited with her for 10 minutes and was put into a seriously foul mood. I thought they were fucking horrendous. Apparently not my cup of tea. It kept sounding like they were going to end (they were running over their time already) but the song just kept on going and going. Finally they stopped and I thought that was it, but when they said they have one more song, I was forceful about us vacating that tent. Worst of what I saw all weekend.

AHAHAHAHAHAHA.

my girlfriend and I both stumbled into the set by accident independently and we both fucking loved it. I thought it was amazing. I love how the guy has a rigged up bass with 3 bass strings and 2 guitar strings and plays two instruments at the same time. That drummer is fucking ridiculous too

menikmati
04-18-2011, 08:39 PM
They kicked fucking ass. That's all I have to say.

ambient sounds
04-18-2011, 08:55 PM
Man they were way better then i ever thought they would be. The drummer is a fucking machine. Favorite part was when he dropped one of his drums sticks and he just got the one he still had and broke it on his thigh. He kept just grabbed two new ones and kept drumming like a maniac. After the set my girlfriend that hates any type of punk or noise rock said she finally gets it.

Ohh yeah i have the largest amount of respect to a couple of girls that were waiting for phantogram on the rail during the set. They were getting pushed and shoved against the rail and they just held thier ground and didn't seem to complain once.

thenoiboi
04-18-2011, 11:58 PM
Any videos from the show yet???

i have one of the second to last song they played. still not quite sure which it was, as i'm fairly new to them. i think it's colossus, from the last lp... i'll post it soon.

edit: here ya go.

seriously, one of the most intense performances of the fest. i stopped losing my mind for just long enough to record this.

Zn5sTIf665s

also, when they came out and brian yelled the chorus to rio as loud as hell with massive delay, i KNEW some seriously bad-ass shit was about to go down.

bmack86
04-19-2011, 12:09 AM
AHAHAHAHAHAHA.

my girlfriend and I both stumbled into the set by accident independently and we both fucking loved it. I thought it was amazing. I love how the guy has a rigged up bass with 3 bass strings and 2 guitar strings and plays two instruments at the same time. That drummer is fucking ridiculous too

They're actually banjo strings apparently. He's such an insanely talented dude, and I'm pretty sure Brian Cunningham has worked with Bjork.

thenoiboi
04-19-2011, 12:24 AM
They're actually banjo strings apparently. He's such an insanely talented dude, and I'm pretty sure Brian Cunningham has worked with Bjork.

there are two brians in this band, none of whom have the last name cunningham. did you mean chippendale? if so, do you know what they collaborated on? i'd love to check it out, if i haven't heard it already.

boyalien0
04-19-2011, 12:47 AM
Lightning Bolt are fucking kickass, but after fifteen minutes of that (late) set I had to leave. Enough is enough.

thenoiboi
04-19-2011, 12:51 AM
Lightning Bolt are fucking kickass, but after fifteen minutes of that (late) set I had to leave. Enough is enough.

every set i saw sunday was late. so, it's kinda like everything was on schedule... just 20 minutes later.

Memorial_07
04-19-2011, 05:25 AM
Hell, after my friends and I were done watching LB, we said, "We have to start a band like that."
I can't wait to try get something that fun going.

TomAz
04-19-2011, 05:50 AM
So apparently in his day job Brian Gibson works making art for Guitar Hero and Rock Band.

SoulDischarge
04-19-2011, 11:18 AM
there are two brians in this band, none of whom have the last name cunningham. did you mean chippendale? if so, do you know what they collaborated on? i'd love to check it out, if i haven't heard it already.

Brian Chippendale. Something on Volta. She collaborated with a lot of drummers for that.

GeezrRckr
04-19-2011, 11:24 AM
This was a clear highlight. I missed having them in the crowd, but the tradeoff was better sound than I've ever heard at a Lightning Bolt show. It was great to really be able to hear all the bass notes clearly and to even understand some of the vocals. They were super loud and totally on it, even if they didn't play any of the songs I wanted to hear.
What a great set. Two truly skilled musicians doing something unique. I also picked up the lyrics, which was a nice surprise. Now I'm just bummed I missed them last Tuesday in Oakland. Please come back!

ivankay
04-19-2011, 03:31 PM
Just put up a few pictures in my Random Coachella 2011 Set (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ivankay/sets/72157626379495257/). Here's a sweaty one:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5101/5636293754_b500381d3a_z.jpg

thenoiboi
04-19-2011, 04:32 PM
nice!

feather
04-19-2011, 04:36 PM
We were there for the tail end and it sounded absolutely horrible.

TomAz
04-19-2011, 04:44 PM
They're no daft punk that's for sure

whataworld
04-19-2011, 04:46 PM
Ohh yeah i have the largest amount of respect to a couple of girls that were waiting for phantogram on the rail during the set. They were getting pushed and shoved against the rail and they just held thier ground and didn't seem to complain once.

As a girl on the rail who was there to see Lightning Bolt, it kicked arse.

Grandma
04-19-2011, 04:57 PM
separating the wheat from the chaff since 1995. about 80% of this years attendees were fucking squares anyway from the looks of it so i knew their show would be overlooked, same goes for WIRE...

watching a swarm of poseurs running from the gobi with their hands over their ears as brian was sound checking his contact mics right before they went on (which was the loudest thing amplified all weekend) was hilarious

BeeII
04-19-2011, 07:29 PM
I caught like 10 minutes or so of their set on the way to something else, and man did they fucking blow my mind. I know Coachella usually doesn't attract a crowd with heavy acts like this, but damn it was sick.

guatemalo
04-20-2011, 01:43 PM
Lightning Bolt was the shit.

rage patton
04-20-2011, 02:49 PM
I love how no one thought this set was "ok." People either loved it or hated it. I like Lightning Bolt on record... but never listened to them too much. This set absolutely destroyed. One of my favorites of the weekend. Both of them are such insanely talented musicians it is hard to comprehend. There were some points where I really, honestly could not understand how he was playing what he was on the bass. I was watching his playing super carefully... and I could just not get it. It was incredible.

crazzz2007
04-20-2011, 03:04 PM
We were there for the tail end and it sounded absolutely horrible.

The fact that your simple mind could not comprehend it does not make it "absolutely horrible."

algunz
04-20-2011, 03:09 PM
I had a hard time with this one too. Maybe because I wasn't paying close enough attention to the actual playing. I was there for Phantogram and they were definitely a different sound.

arthurbang
04-21-2011, 02:18 AM
Don't know much about Electric Touch but walked through there while they were playing and I've never seen so few people for an act in the seven years I've been attending. I even had to take a photo of the crowd (or lack of).

Sigur Ros Stache
04-21-2011, 05:00 AM
This had to be the loudest set EVER...OMG! Had to sit through the last 3 or so songs before Phantogram. Not my thing but I didn't like them on record either. I can't say they sucked as I am much more of a structured song afficianado but he was damn fast on those drums. Did i mention it was loud?

TomAz
04-21-2011, 06:23 AM
http://static.seton.net.au/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/5e06319eda06f020e43594a9c230972d/A7917.jpg

JelloPuddingChat
04-21-2011, 06:43 AM
separating the wheat from the chaff since 1995. about 80% of this years attendees were fucking squares anyway from the looks of it so i knew their show would be overlooked, same goes for WIRE...

watching a swarm of poseurs running from the gobi with their hands over their ears as brian was sound checking his contact mics right before they went on (which was the loudest thing amplified all weekend) was hilarious

It's kind of always been this way for these types of bands. Fantomas had no one in there. Probably the same for the Locust. This is also the best part of the noise or harder bands. I watched the beginning of DEP just to watch people leave as I smiled. Cure fans for MBV was good too.

bilcal7
04-25-2011, 12:28 PM

Yes. One of my favorite moments of the festival was looking around at the faces of all the people at that set. Everyone trying to figure out exactly what was going on..

A couple things: At night when there are multiple acts going on, you really can't here jack behind the sound booth at the Gobi tent due to the sound from the outside theater (and the main stage). Even through the sound onslaught of bolt, this was still an issue.

bmack86
04-25-2011, 12:31 PM
It's kind of always been this way for these types of bands. Fantomas had no one in there. Probably the same for the Locust. This is also the best part of the noise or harder bands. I watched the beginning of DEP just to watch people leave as I smiled. Cure fans for MBV was good too.

The Locust definitely had a far larger crowd than Wolf Eyes. I think there were about 30 people in the tent for their set.

rage patton
04-25-2011, 01:23 PM
The Locust definitely had a far larger crowd than Wolf Eyes. I think there were about 30 people in the tent for their set.

So... Wolf Eyes had a bigger crowd than Electric Touch this year?

garthalgar77
04-28-2011, 04:48 PM
I was able to run over to their set and mosh for 3 songs before watching Ratatat be kinda boring then run to The Strokes. Who were MOST EXCELLENT with a boring crowd.

Geno_g
04-28-2011, 05:07 PM
The guy in front of me was either sky high or just drunk but he was dancing like a madman (doing high kicks, punches), lifting up his bottle of alcohol and pointing his finger at the band....

The funniest part was he turned around and pulled out a toy lazer gun out of his pants, like he was strapped and starts pointing it at random people... His wife or girlfriend didn't even seem shocked.

Bumblebee
04-28-2011, 09:27 PM
So... Wolf Eyes had a bigger crowd than Electric Touch this year?

I walked thru the tent during Electric Touch. I swear there were more people onstage/sidestage/soundboard than in the audience. You could tell the band were heartbroken with the turnout and looking sidestage for something.