PDA

View Full Version : Nosaj Thing

rasooli
04-17-2011, 05:48 PM
Did anyone see him? How'd he do? Was he the Flying Lotus of this year?

He would of been one of my top acts If I went this year.

rasooli
04-18-2011, 10:28 AM
???

I probably made this thread a day too early.

icedKeg
04-18-2011, 11:48 AM
I saw him and he was great. There was some [I]Wandering Star[I] by Portishead in there. He had his lightshow thing going on, which is cool from the videos I've watched before, but it didn't really work in the Gobi tent because it was too bright behind him.

JAvina1283
04-18-2011, 11:49 AM
Didn't get to see all of Nosaj Thing, but it was pretty good!

rasooli
04-18-2011, 03:09 PM
So I guess he wasnt the Flying Lotus of this year, who imo put on one of the top 3 greatest shows in Coachella history last year.

Mucho Maas
04-18-2011, 04:04 PM
^yes he was.
my favorite set all weekend.
but i wouldn't expect much feedback from others. i was in that fucking tent by myself.

frazzles
04-18-2011, 04:09 PM
You were in that tent by yourself because of the Sasha vs Nosaj vs Chems vs Boys Noize conflict.

Mucho Maas
04-18-2011, 04:14 PM
yeah, i'm not complaining.
the space was wonderful.

i was only surprised.

elbrycen
04-18-2011, 04:22 PM
the chems wasnt a conflict. i caught almost all of nosaj thing and then went over to chems. and caught their entire set.

it was incredible though.

geare213
04-18-2011, 04:23 PM
nosaj was easily my favorite set of the weekend. his visuals were insane, his beats were on point, and it was the most beautiful/melodic set ive ever heard. and even though all of those did conflict, i managed to catch all of nosaj, 3/4 of boys noize, and finished the night with the chems cuz they went on late. also i got to meet the genius that is daedelus right after the set, which was an added bonus

geare213
04-18-2011, 04:23 PM
beat me to it^

That70sdesperado
04-18-2011, 05:13 PM
He was amazing but I only stayed a few songs. To me, it actually looked like there was a decent crowd considering the time slot.

brycerosen
04-18-2011, 05:35 PM
nosaj was easily my favorite set of the weekend. his visuals were insane, his beats were on point, and it was the most beautiful/melodic set ive ever heard. and even though all of those did conflict, i managed to catch all of nosaj, 3/4 of boys noize, and finished the night with the chems cuz they went on late. also i got to meet the genius that is daedelus right after the set, which was an added bonus

This^

he was amazing but from the people i talked to that also saw daedelus, they say he(daedelus) was the flylo of 2011

andyforpeace
04-19-2011, 09:24 PM
ive seen nosaj thing more than a handful of times and that set he played on friday was FIRE. a lot of great remixes. like, busta rhymes dangerous, jai paul btstu, and the xx islands. easily top 5 performances of the weekend. im uploading a video and ill link here later.

fatuppoopdown
04-19-2011, 09:54 PM
I thought Nosaj Thing was magical. The visual show made it such a haunting and beautiful set.

andyforpeace
04-19-2011, 10:32 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAvwPQ0LvAA

penelopyssey
04-19-2011, 10:38 PM
I was blown away by this set. Definitely in the top 3 of the weekend. So melodic, and the visuals were perfect. This was definitely a set I won't soon forget.

BeeII
04-19-2011, 10:40 PM
I was convinced by my friends to see part of his set, I'm glad I did.

Virrago
04-19-2011, 10:43 PM
Yeah, I was way too exuberant on the first day and by the time Sasha came around I just couldn't handle the strobes and sweaty crowd anymore so I caught the last half of his show and was really pleasantly surprised. Something about the minimalist set-up of one guy and a tiny table getting really into what he's doing was just what I needed to rest me for the insanity of Chemical Brothers.

WhyTheLongFace
04-20-2011, 08:14 AM
I didn't like it

coldwarriddim
04-20-2011, 10:44 AM
I wish the sound in there was better and they had got the lighting correct on this screen (shouldn't this have easily been caught in a rehearsal?) but his performance was great otherwise.

CrimesceneCookie
04-20-2011, 11:55 AM
Nosaj was a good antidote to the hit/miss performances I saw Friday. Chilled me out and kept me dancing at the same time.

brycerosen
04-20-2011, 12:00 PM
it was so smooth when he mixed in nate dogg

MistaGlitch
04-20-2011, 12:16 PM
Nosaj Thing was incredible. Nobody in my group wanted to go or could even make up their minds where to go. I jumped up and ran to Nosaj Thing and it was the best decision all weekend.

Basskitten85
04-20-2011, 12:17 PM
I liked it alot, very good.

bobchella
04-20-2011, 12:19 PM
M5GYFrRcHu8?hd=1

kid_a
04-20-2011, 12:38 PM
nosaj was easily my favorite set of the weekend. his visuals were insane, his beats were on point, and it was the most beautiful/melodic set ive ever heard.

^^ yes.

absolutely incredible show. i feel sorry for whoever missed it.

Mucho Maas
04-21-2011, 08:56 AM
here's my own video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-oF4ezHF-8

richiedigs
04-21-2011, 09:56 AM
Made it a point to be the very first person there for his set. Got dead front and center and it was incredible. Every time I'd seen him before was in the daytime or he didn't do his visual show so it was a real treat. Easily my favorite set of the weekend!

esohyouel
04-21-2011, 10:39 AM
Made it a point to be the very first person there for his set. Got dead front and center and it was incredible. Every time I'd seen him before was in the daytime or he didn't do his visual show so it was a real treat. Easily my favorite set of the weekend!

yeah i took my friends to see him early, it was both their first time seeing him live - they both thought it was one of the better sets of the weekend

ponyup
04-21-2011, 12:51 PM
He was fucking amazing. In my top five sets of the weekend. Maybe not quite the flylo of the weekend, but definitely a great set.

geare213
04-21-2011, 03:10 PM
as far as this weekend went, i think nosaj thing>daedelus because of the shortened set time of daedelus, which was complete bullshit. but both were amazing and i caught the entire set for both of them

Bons222000
04-21-2011, 03:35 PM
I think Nosaj Thing is quickly becoming one of my favorite acts. He comes out sets up a table by himself, takes a macbook and mixboard out of his crappy backpack and just starts. No ego or build up or anything. He just plays. I could literally see the music going through his body as he works that thing. Nosaj is the man and I will be sure to check him out any time he is around from now on. One of my 5 top from the weekend for sure.

send me ctrpllrs
04-21-2011, 03:42 PM
He was definitely one of my favorite sets as well. Not quite top 5, but I still loved it. I love sets like that in the Gobi.

dyltr0n3030
04-22-2011, 02:23 AM
Late-night Gobi shows are the bestest.

Iamwelting
04-22-2011, 06:09 AM
I caught most of his set and was blown away. Though I gotta say I think Daedelus on Saturday topped it.

r4chchella
04-22-2011, 11:34 AM
I thought Nosaj Thing was incredible. I came from Sasha's set, which I know a lot of people love, but Nosaj Thing just sounded so much more original and talented. Definitely one of my favorite sets of the weekend.

apachedino
04-23-2011, 02:45 PM
Love Sasha and it was tough to leave, but Nosaj is so tranquil, the guy just gets into my head so deep. Totally rebuilt my reserves after CutCopy/Beardyman/Sasha and the rest of the magic that was Friday. Was the perfect calm before the Bros.

gooftroop
04-23-2011, 05:02 PM
Nosaj thing was perfect, I was on cloud 9 and it really was the perfect lead-in for chemical brothers. Great visuals and the overall vibe was outstanding, Friday was probably my favorite day this year.

hobo returns
04-24-2011, 03:44 PM
when he dropped that wu tang remix in there i almost died.

heyeric
05-10-2011, 10:23 PM
I didn't like it

How come? You had seen him before in the past I presume, maybe? Here's my rundown of it for me.

EDIT: this was also posted in the IM MEDICATED SECTION

I spaced out all weekend sorry to any pre-planned/failed meetups. Phone was giving me major problems all weekend as well (ATT). This is first time back on the boards since coachella just been busy with work but would like to make it up to any planning to hit up lightning in a bottle.

nosaj thing has been brought to this thread for a small discussion if anyone cares to partake but the set was astonishing, does anyone by chance know who designed his visual set up. i know he used a somewhat very similar setup on the Tory Y Moi tour but his coachella show just was so much more in depth and with solid dimension to the visuals. now i wasn't on any insane amount of substance i just enjoyed 2 joints on the front rail during his set. the music, every single small pop,crackle, sound clip, the size and depth of each sound was reflected on the screen at times by the smaller size representing a light sound and obviously larger for larger(duh). was the screen larger because it felt tremendously bigger at coachella rather than the music box. i was first row, center slightly to the right. the interaction with the crowd was phenomenal and flawlessly smooth transitions. i gotta hand it to him, i'm sure his studio is muchhhh larger now then it was 16 months ago but for headlining a stage, walking out, setting up your own gear with confidence and ease, then its line 1 check line 2 check....check,check...and it was jaw dropping from there, from my standpoint. always been a fan of jason and we've all seen it's been becoming reaaal common lately(not that it wasn't 5 years from now with midi, just the functionality is unbelieveable) and we all know this you don't have to be a DJ(in regards to playing live music,not the quality of the spin or beat matching) to play live music. NOTE TO BOARD: i am no fan boy, haha. This guy and the whole entire software/midi controller army are slowly but surely taking over most unsought of ideas and pushing to give the fans the ultimate visually live and interactive show with a guy behind a deck. AMEN TO THE Portishead mix, that was not a slaughter by any means imo.

WhyTheLongFace
05-10-2011, 10:32 PM
How come? You had seen him before in the past I presume, maybe?

No never seen him.

It's just weird. On record Nosaj Thing takes me through journeys and that night it seemed like going through the motions. I don't know I also was sick Friday and it was hard for me to enjoy any set after Kele.

Mr. Porter
05-10-2011, 10:51 PM
Did Daedelus have a visual spectacle like Jason's?

Iamwelting
05-11-2011, 07:18 AM
Did Daedelus have a visual spectacle like Jason's?

I would say it was more of a spectacle. He had three big panels of mirrors, and each mirror could pivot independently of the rest, while multiple projectors projected stuff onto them. It took me nearly the whole set to figure out what was actually happening, I was transfixed.

you can kind of see it in this:

uiXgBddTxAY

aaronbk
05-11-2011, 02:14 PM
Nosaj thing, was in my top five acts for friday! I have been wanting to see him for awhile, missed him at the camp ground sessions last year. But geeeez Jason killed, killed it!! this set was so good! I also was there for all of daedalus's set, i was a little dissapointed, I dont see how some of you say he toped nosaj, that is a joke. Daedalus was awesome and fun, but something felt off to me. Also met some girl during nosaj, who happened to stumble into the tent "who is this?" i was like dude nosaj thing!!! " oh, i love this type of music, this is just what i needed!" twas awesome! nosaj thing ftw!

heyeric
05-23-2011, 07:20 PM
ViR7F0F50W

kTgDaFHCNVM

heyeric
05-23-2011, 07:34 PM
Also, about the visuals, it was FAIR ENOUGH who did them, Jason did not VJ the set himself.

rasooli
05-23-2011, 07:46 PM
Awesome videos man

heyeric
12-09-2011, 11:10 AM
i mentioned the portishead mix months back, update.
Cm6ZTh-HH6I

mikey1313666
12-09-2011, 12:14 PM

So glad to hear somebody that enjoyed it as much as I did

hiphophd
12-10-2011, 07:46 PM
The crazy thing is that there was nobody there! Just like Daedelus. WOW! Two of my all time favorite late night sets. What's in store this year? I'm thinking Pure Filth is going to be stacked.