PDA

View Full Version : Gayngs was the set of the weekend

dorkfish
04-16-2011, 09:02 AM
Didn't expect much, but they killed it. Top 5 all time Coachella set for me.

gaypalmsprings
04-16-2011, 09:50 AM
We sure have different taste in music. Why was the tent so empty, with people leaving with the sleepy songs, and the very disorganized setup? I did have a great chat with kroqken while waiting for Gayngs, so that was very much worth it.

kreutz2112
04-16-2011, 09:57 AM
I watched them on the webcast and was so underwhelmed. I guess you had to be there.

daxton
04-16-2011, 12:42 PM
Yep yep. So good. Tied for me yesterday with Tame Impala. Both were so amazing.

wstsidela
04-16-2011, 01:35 PM
You mean Lame Impala. I expected much more. They didn't deliver IMHO

motherofmothera
04-16-2011, 01:45 PM
They were pretty far from being the "set of the weekend" and last time I checked we're only one day into Coachella.

Tried to watch them but they didn't impress and I skipped over to Scala & the Kolacny Bros after 15 minutes (who were pretty solid). Best acts so far this weekend... Cut Copy and !!!

dorkfish
04-16-2011, 02:25 PM
Cut Copy and chk chk chk were on par with every other time that I've seen them. After the 3rd song Gayngs became ridiculous. I am far from a fan, but that show went somewhere beyond the average.

getbetter
04-16-2011, 03:31 PM
I would of saw the whole set if I my phone didn't die. But I really like one song alot I can't think the name of it.

gaypalmsprings
04-16-2011, 09:44 PM
They reminded me of fraterinity bothers who dared each other to form a band, when they were entirely stoned out of their minds. Ha.

dorkfish
04-18-2011, 05:57 PM
my initial statement was completely correct.

tessalasset
04-20-2011, 12:15 AM
Brad, I completely agree with EVERYTHING you have said in this thread. I did not expect to love their set nearly as much as I did. I just finished obsessing over it on youtube and facebook to come here and post one of my videos and now I get to do it all over again. After their set, walking back to Chemical Bros, I posted on fb "Pretty sure I just went to church." That was the most soulful, sexy, dark and grooving set I've ever seen at Coachella. The more I watch the videos and the more I think about it, they were absolutely my favorite set of the weekend. I can not wait to see them again.

hAZL1uhAkWg

tessalasset
04-20-2011, 12:27 AM
Also here's kroqken in the pic Gayngs tweeted: http://twitpic.com/4lgy3y

arthurbang
04-20-2011, 02:25 AM
Watched this set at our hotel on the webcast because my wife and I were too tired to wait and stay to watch it in person. It was amazing. I kind of wish we had stayed.

Memorial_07
04-20-2011, 06:20 AM
I definitely don't regret missing Flogging Molly at all for Gayngs.
My eyes started to tear up during Cry.

Does anyone know if they played Spanish Platinum?

dorkfish
04-20-2011, 12:32 PM
Even Har Mar Superstar killed it during the set:

CEQ0BCs_G_Q

Derekx
04-20-2011, 09:06 PM
Also here's kroqken in the pic Gayngs tweeted: http://twitpic.com/4lgy3y

The girl next to Ken was fucking cute!

daxton
04-20-2011, 09:25 PM
Even Har Mar Superstar killed it during the set:

CEQ0BCs_G_Q

Yes yes he definitely did.

arthurbang
04-21-2011, 03:15 AM
I never realized that Har Mar had such an amazing voice until watching him sing this on the webcast that night.

luckyface
04-21-2011, 07:40 AM
Brad, I completely agree with EVERYTHING you have said in this thread. I did not expect to love their set nearly as much as I did. I just finished obsessing over it on youtube and facebook to come here and post one of my videos and now I get to do it all over again. After their set, walking back to Chemical Bros, I posted on fb "Pretty sure I just went to church." That was the most soulful, sexy, dark and grooving set I've ever seen at Coachella. The more I watch the videos and the more I think about it, they were absolutely my favorite set of the weekend. I can not wait to see them again.

hAZL1uhAkWg

I can't believe someone covered this song! I have always liked it. This is an awesome rendition, too. I am now intrigued to check them out.

captncrzy
04-22-2011, 10:59 AM
This was a shitty conflict; GAYNGS, Scala, and Chems were all on my must see lists. Chems won, but missing this sucked.

Aurgasm
04-22-2011, 11:10 AM
I danced with a chick (or two) from gayngs in the oasis dome. Still haven't listened to their music, but damn, good dancers!

DaFunkyPrecedent
04-22-2011, 11:31 AM
These guys are PROS. This set is also top 5 Coachella sets of all time and by far my favorite set of the weekend. It was intimate, seductive, druggy and a whole lot of fuckin' fun. I really hope they bring this show on the road...with ALL of the artists. Sorry for anyone who missed this show.

DaFunkyPrecedent
04-22-2011, 11:32 AM
I never realized that Har Mar had such an amazing voice until watching him sing this on the webcast that night.

He stole the show - for sure.

travelfan
04-22-2011, 12:35 PM
The Chems/Boys Noize/Gayngs conflict was too much for me to handle. Bought a ticket to the Gayngs show in SF on June 1st and danced my ass off at Boys Noize before catching the last 20 of the Chems. Hope they play as well at their show.

electrocute
04-22-2011, 02:27 PM
Gayngs really impressed me. I'm so glad they got that time slot/tent.... really a neat vibe to end that evening, and I have to say an experience unlike anything else I've seen at Chella in my 5 years of going. Seeing 12 musicians jamming out together successfully would be a feat under any circumstances, and to have the resulting music be so otherworldly, sensual, heavy, and groovy is truly impressive. I want to party with Gayngs! :D

I like their banter and overall vibe too. Like how Har Mar was like "Gayngs, man. We're the fuckin best!!"

As much as I enjoyed it, the set also held the biggest personal scare of the weekend for me, as I suddenly started feeling super dizzy/faint (I think from total exhaustion) and had to lay down. I was getting seriously worried that something bad was happening to me and that I was gonna be one of "those" people at Coachella... too terrible to imagine, haha. Luckily I felt a lot better soon, but it made me feel all the more emotional during their set... having a good cry, during Cry? I guess it was a little too appropriate.

sonofhal
04-22-2011, 02:45 PM
Definitely in my top 3 sets of the weekend. Was an easy choice to see them over The Chems, as Gayngs have never ventured outside the US. With a new Bon Iver album out shortly after the last planned Gayngs show of 2011, it was a now or never scenario for me.

mistakenstrangers
05-06-2011, 04:39 AM
So how many babies were made during this set? Top 5 of Coachella for me. Seduction, sexy and a great way to close out the Mojave after a long day dancing in the heat.

wompwomp
05-06-2011, 07:04 AM
I skipped these guys for the Bros, but I am so glad I get to catch them at Sasquatch. One of my "must-sees" now.

It is going to be beyond sexy. Some people gonna get pregnant.

vibesandstuff
05-06-2011, 11:21 AM
I'm a huge Bon Iver fan, but I struggle with these guys. I have a strong bias against any music with sax in it though. And I thought their time slot was a little weird. a nice chill afternoon set would have been better. I know they are a super group and all, but Friday night was party time for me!!

tessalasset
05-06-2011, 11:22 AM
I haven't stopped listening to them since Coachella. And I just discovered the magic of their EP Affiliyated yesterday. It's making me love them on a whole new level.

http://grooveshark.com/#/artist/Gayngs+doomtree/1806414?src=5

Seeing them at the Natural History Museum in LA and the Casbah in San Diego next month. I cannot get enough of them. Faded High is one of my favorite songs of the past year, easily. And it is SICK on Affiliyated. I fucking love these guys.

tessalasset
05-06-2011, 11:25 AM
vibes - I was in your boat before I saw them at coachella. HUGE bon iver fan, and while I knew they were nothing like BI, I still couldn't get into them on the album that much. Cry was good, and I liked Faded High, but the rest was eh. Then I saw their coach set and everything made sense. I got it. The sax - HELL yeah. (And I normally despise sax as well unless you are in a jazz band). The time slot was PERFECT for them. Afternoon set would have been a completely different feel. 12:05 am meant most everyone was gone dancing at Chemical Bros or had gone home, so there was a smaller group of us there, and I think a lot of us had no idea what to expect. The music perfectly fit the vibe of that time of night. And knowing that was the last set we were gonna see that night? Nothing could have been better.

getbetter
05-06-2011, 11:29 AM
I can't wait.That would be amazing if Prince came out during the casbah show but he will probably have a forum show that night.

DaFunkyPrecedent
05-08-2011, 07:38 AM
Man, these guys need to go on a MASSIVE tour. Once you see it, you're HOOKED.

travelfan
05-08-2011, 09:34 AM
I cannot get enough of them. Faded High is one of my favorite songs of the past year, easily. And it is SICK on Affiliyated. I fucking love these guys.

Faded High is maybe my favorite song of the year. It is the prettiest, sexiest, most intimate little gem of a song I've heard in a long time. It's funny how a lot of album reviewers and Gayngs fans seem to treat it like a filler track...blows my mind. Everything on there is epic and gorgeous...the vocals that start at 1:03, the soaring chorus (especially when it starts to break down at the very end), the passionate guitar solo...but my absolute favorite has to be the series of lines after "I want your body on me". The way some of them are phrased are perfect, especially "You're breaking every rule I have / I only play by the book", "You ain't ready for me" and "Stay with me". Makes you want to smoke a cigarette when it's done.

Cannot wait to see them in San Francisco.

tessalasset
05-09-2011, 08:02 PM
You are getting me so excited for these shows!!

I freakin love how Mike says it in this version

JjJbOn2JJ2s

getbetter
05-09-2011, 08:13 PM
Man, these guys need to go on a MASSIVE tour. Once you see it, you're HOOKED.

They can't Rosebuds are going on tour in Mid-June.