PDA

View Full Version : Did Anyone Play a Full Set Friday?

surfphoto
04-16-2011, 02:09 AM
I have been going through the posts and was wondering if anybody actually played a full headliner set which is usually 90 minutes minumum at the average concert, on Friday?. I think Chemical Brothers were the only band actually scheduled for at least that long, but I read that they cut them of after only an hour because they were late. I also felt realy bad reading the fan posts for CELO, who got cut off after 20 minutes. what happened to the marathon sets in years past where the headliners played 3 plus hour sets? IE: The Cure,Roger Waters,Mcartney, Rage, Prince, and Tiesto?

concertgoer
04-16-2011, 02:17 AM
Arcade Fire and Kanye best be getting their full set times this weekend
Duran Duran and The Strokes too

surfphoto
04-16-2011, 02:22 AM
It looks like they are only giving Duran Duran an hour. They just played a great two hour show at the Mayan a few weeks ago and webcast it live. I wonder which half they are going to have to cut out

TomAz
04-16-2011, 05:45 AM
There has never been a "3 plus hour set" in the history of Coachella.

Coachella is not an "average concert".

The time slots this year seem the same as any other year.

I bet you still have a hard time tying your shoes.

aguadulce
04-16-2011, 06:55 AM
Ceelo showed up late - that was his own fault.

wstsidela
04-16-2011, 06:59 AM
"Tried to play a full set when I showed up late. Coachella said fuck you"

surfphoto
04-16-2011, 07:01 AM
I beg to differ.
I was at the first nine Coachellas and I saw those sets. Roger Waters did the entire dark Side of the Moon, took a break then did another two hours of Pink Floyd songs. The Cure actually played more than three hours on two occassions. Paul Mcartney played over three hours also, about 45 minutes past the curfew time giving Coachella their biggest fine ever. Prince also did a marathon set for nearly three hours. As I recall in the early days some of the dance bands like Tiesto also played extremely long sets.

Coachella ’09: Paul McCartney’s 35-song set list
April 18th, 2009, 3:34 am 7 Comments posted by BEN WENER, THE ORANGE COUNTY REGISTER
Share There’s a ton of blather from me about to go up about his deeply moving performance, largely a tribute to his late wife Linda on the 11th anniversary of her death from breast cancer. Read all about that shortly. But the power of the set list speaks for itself …

Main set: Jet / Drive My Car / Only Mama Knows / Flaming Pie / Got to Get You Into My Life / Let Me Roll It (with a coda of Purple Haze) / Honey Hush / Highway / The Long and Winding Road / My Love / Blackbird / Here Today / Dance Tonight / Calico Skies / Mrs. Vanderbilt / Eleanor Rigby / Sing the Changes / Band on the Run / Back in the U.S.S.R. / Something / I’ve Got a Feeling / Paperback Writer / A Day in the Life > Give Peace a Chance / Let It Be / Live and Let Die / Hey Jude

First encore: Birthday / Can’t Buy Me Love / Lady Madonna
Second encore: Yesterday / Helter Skelter / Get Back / Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise) > The End

Also from LA Times:
So, hey, bring on Dark Side, with its Laserium-like film loops playing right to the stoners in the crowd, and the opening and closing Wallmaterial. (Did we mention that this was the first Coachella set ever to last almost three hours and have a 20-minute intermission?) Much as Iwas chagrined to see Waters trade in pure nostalgia to pick up apaycheck, the material itself has aged well, and I even allowed myselfto hope that some of the indie crowd who’ve settled for ephemera mightlisten and get into what was once great about this stuff and have alittle ambition rub off on ‘em. But they’ll probably remember the pig.

Another online review:
.Sponsored Links
Stream Indie Music Videos

An impressive 10th anniversary Coachella Music and Arts Festival came to a close last night with the Cure. Kicking off with "Underneath the Stars" from last year's album 4:13 Dream and making their way through a set that included their biggest pop single "Lovesong" and many other classics, the band displayed the performing comfort of their more than 30 years as a group. With a series of encores, the band were ultimately cut off by festival personnel after performing for nearly 3 hours.

There were many more

TomAz
04-16-2011, 07:49 AM
He PMd me that too, folks. True story.

ialvarado2
04-16-2011, 08:11 AM
There has never been a "3 plus hour set" in the history of Coachella.

Coachella is not an "average concert".

The time slots this year seem the same as any other year.

I bet you still have a hard time tying your shoes.

26k+ posts and you don't know your Coachella?!?!?

I think I know who's the one that still has a hard time tying his shoes.

TomAz
04-16-2011, 08:41 AM
This is my 7th Coachella. I stand by my statements.

joppy-slow
04-16-2011, 08:46 AM
chemical bro's - "Sorry about having to cut it short tonight we had a production nightmare not helped by leon..."

Redundant567
04-16-2011, 10:04 AM
1am has always been the cutoff. It doesn't matter when you start, Paul, Waters, and the Cure were all stopped by 1am. These got longer set because they started earlier. Also, from my memory McCartney did play more than a two hour set.

However, if I can remember right (I may be mistaken but I swore reading it somewhere), I think the artists get fined for going over the time at night because of the residential neighborhoods nearby. Someone like McCartney probably doesn't care about a fine, whereas others do.

matsuolost
04-16-2011, 10:45 AM
it was 12 am

surfphoto
04-16-2011, 07:29 PM
That is one of the big problems at Coachella is the curfew. Tha's why Bonnaroo is still the best festival in the country, it's out in the middle of nowhere, the bands can play all night if they want to and they do. In 2008 I saw Disco Biscuits do a 12 til dawn set. That same year Pearl Jam had a 2 hour headline set scheduled and they played for 3 hours and 15 minutes because they felt like it.
Coachella is a great venue and for the most part everybody seems to be having a great time still, but it is a fact that every year set times get shorter because they keep adding more bands. Does an ADD generation really prefer to hear a hundred bands do three songs rather than some of their favorites do thirty? I don;t know maybe but it seems to me that if they booked less bands or added more stages, I think Bonnaroo was up to 12 the last time I checked, wouldn't the fans, musicians, and tech support all be happier?
I know Coachella has become more about the scene than the music in the last few years, but can't they have both? There's always room for improvement and Coachella seems to listen to what thier fans have to say each year. Just my opinion.

motherofmothera
04-16-2011, 07:34 PM
Boys Noize played a full set and you can run and tell that.

Thisismyname
04-16-2011, 07:39 PM
What we really need is for Coachella to book Bonnaroo.

That would be the best.

surfphoto
04-16-2011, 08:37 PM
Cool to hear Boys Noize got a whole set Were they really good?
Just watching the podcast Great Quality. Mumford and Sons sounded great, but agin set too short. They played 844-932 48 minutes WTF?
BAD actually started ontime and it looks like they are going to get at least an hour to play. They sound great too, that would be a hard choice to make between the two.

nbvcide
04-17-2011, 09:39 AM
ur complaining that they only played 48 min of a 50 min set? :rolleyes they werent headliners..

Changoloco
04-17-2011, 06:36 PM
it was 12 am

^THIS^