PDA

View Full Version : Surprises/Letdowns Day 1

sdsuman
04-15-2011, 11:38 PM
Surprises:

Cut Copy - Sounded amazing live. Good crowd.
Cold War Kids - ditto above.

Letdowns:

Odd Future - Couldn't understand a word, everyone up front was leaving.
Crystal Castles - Ditto Above

Harrisment
04-16-2011, 12:14 AM
I thought Odd Future was pretty bad. Easily the most disappointing set I saw today. A large portion of the crowd exited after a few songs.

Alchemist559
04-16-2011, 12:59 AM
Killers played a few songs at the end of BFlo's otherwise lame set, which was a nice surprise.

Redundant567
04-16-2011, 01:01 AM
Yup, surprised with The Killers special appearance, that was a nice touch. I was also pleasantly surprised with how smooth everything was, GV really stepped it up a notch.

Overall no major disappointments, except some of the set times issues. Oh but it did feel like every band took forever to set up, or at least longer than Coachella sets usually take. Am I the only one that felt this way?

Jman4321
04-16-2011, 01:19 AM
While not that good, I was surprised with the fact that Crystal Castles was not the death of music live as they have been built up to be. I'm sure they were in the past considering some videos I have watched, but now they're just decent. Not too much Alice Glass screaming too, which was nice.

miraj
04-16-2011, 01:23 AM
Magnetic man was a colossal disappointment for me.

Jman4321
04-16-2011, 01:36 AM
Also, just want to second that Cut Copy were blistering. Holy shit.

GuyInTucson
04-16-2011, 01:46 AM
I really liked Lauryn Hill when I never thought I would. Odd future was slightly disppointing, but they had more energy towards the end. Ozomatli was fun... I hadn't seen them in years and I had forgotten how good of a show they put on

concertgoer
04-16-2011, 01:49 AM
Surprises
Lauryn Hill . Yeah she came on late but that was to be expected and she fucking killed it
Letdowns
Cee Lo being 30 minutes late and blaming Goldenvoice for having a shitty set time
I can't really call The Chemical Brothers set a letdown cause they were great but being 40 minutes late was not cool. I could have seen all of Robyn and some of Boys Noize in hindsight.

concertgoer
04-16-2011, 01:50 AM
Also Cut Copy easily had the set of the day but that is no Surprise to me

IlliniQ
04-16-2011, 01:57 AM
Also Cut Copy easily had the set of the day but that is no Surprise to me

No. Cut Copy easily tied Robyn for second best set of day.

The Best set of day Was Black Joe Lewis and it isn't even a close call... They absolutely destroyed.

T

HandBanana
04-16-2011, 01:59 AM
Chems were a massive surprise

concertgoer
04-16-2011, 02:01 AM
No. Cut Copy easily tied Robyn for second best set of day.

The Best set of day Was Black Joe Lewis and it isn't even a close call... They absolutely destroyed.

T

I love Robyn but I thought the sound was a little off during her set and the Crowd was dead in comparison to Cut Copy

IlliniQ
04-16-2011, 02:05 AM
Letdowns
!!! - underwhelming after Black Joe
Chem Bros - Even with all they had going on visually, still not 1/2 as compelling as your average live band.
Tame Impala - sounded good, but a bit sleepy at times.
Miguel - horrifically cheesy start to day

One more excellent set - Titus- last half of their set killed.
Biggest Surprise- New Pants

concertgoer
04-16-2011, 02:19 AM
in !!!'s defense the outdoor at 2 30 was a horrible time slot for them. They are a great live band in a club. They would have been fantastic the gobi or mojave

gmoneyak
04-16-2011, 02:32 AM
Laryn Hill was lucid.. Black Joe killed it.

Omar's set turned into a Mars Volta show, which annoyed me.

fatbastard
04-16-2011, 02:35 AM
I'm gonna go Robyn, then Cut Copy, then Chems for the win.

lowfront
04-16-2011, 02:39 AM

This......

BlingBling137
04-16-2011, 02:48 AM
Best all day was by far Gayngs! Great energy all around, on stage and in crowd!

Cold war kids also did AMAZING!! They are so talented :)

Disappointment: cee-lo green was a baby about being late and let it affect his set for the 20 mins he was there. Off future was good for the first two songs then couldn't hear them really.
Overall great night!!! Can't wait for tomorrow

concertgoer
04-16-2011, 02:58 AM
Gayngs and Cold War Kids really?

magmazing
04-16-2011, 03:26 AM
Biggest letdown for me was just the main stage in general. From shortened sets to screen malfunctions, to sound issues... It was one thing after another.

I'm still trying to figure out if Cee-lo Green's shortened set was entirely because he arrived late or if there was some audio problems? They were sound checking stuff right up to his arrival on stage.

dan13l
04-16-2011, 03:42 AM
Biggest surpise

Afrojack - He probably had the most solid set at the Sahara Tent next to Boys Noize. If Paul McCartney stays for your entire set that's good.

Biggest Letdown

The delays! There was so many sets that didn't get off in time. If I had to pick one person that suffer from the delays was Cee-Lo.

SDsoldier7
04-16-2011, 04:11 AM

why you went to see him is beyond me. you deserve what you get

djbionik
04-16-2011, 04:22 AM
Best surprises: new pants and kele. Way better than I hoped.
Letdowns: main stage in general, horrible reception for both phone AND walkies, and Cee Lo for having a bad attitude on top of being late.

Must add, cut copy was awesome, but I think the tie for the wins are Ribyn and Chemical Bros. Too bad the comment for Robyns crowd wasn't as good as CC, but where I was it was electric.

Just in: the moon was just stellar!!

Semprini
04-16-2011, 06:57 AM
why you went to see him is beyond me. you deserve what you get
Did only one of them turn up then? Maybe that's why the show was bad....

fredbull
04-16-2011, 07:27 AM

T

THIS! His set was fantastic! What a way to start the weekend.... So far it's one of my favorite sets of the past 3 years!

bobchella
04-16-2011, 07:34 AM
Did only one of them turn up then? Maybe that's why the show was bad....

No, all three were there. He obviously doesn't know what he's talking about

jimmycrackcorn
04-16-2011, 07:46 AM
letdowns were cee lo being a idiot and the "untitled" gray art installation that never opened at all friday

fiyahhh!
04-16-2011, 07:48 AM
Biggest surprise: how clean the port a potties were.
Biggest letdown: people not using the port a potties and using the Outdoor Theater fence instead.

flowbee
04-16-2011, 07:50 AM
Marina and the Diamonds. I came for the sexy, but stayed for the show. Kind of fun.

Letdowns: Another vote for Cee Lo. Also the Creators project's Mainstage work. In my imagination I just envisioned more.

stuporfly
04-16-2011, 08:02 AM
Was really pleased with how good Lauryn Hill was. She was my surprise of the day. I thought the Black Keys were going to be a letdown at first because they sounded a little sluggish. But they rallied a couple of songs in and were great.

darkmoon66
04-16-2011, 08:02 AM
Biggest surprise was either Cold War Kids or Crystal Castles as both were a lot better than I expected.

Biggest disappointment was The Black Keys. TV screens didn't work and they weren't loud enough for the main stage.

Riflesmile
04-16-2011, 08:09 AM
The Cut Copy set was unreal - as a veteran of many European festivals over the years that was EASILY one of the best crowds and atmospheres I have ever experienced at a festival.

Chems were great - nice way to end the day.

I was disappointed with Omars set...

MassiveChemicalPunk
04-16-2011, 08:14 AM
Best: Chems and Cut Copy. Both crowds were fucking intense!
Bad: Magnetic Man. That MC they had was annoying as hell and why the fuck didn't they mix? They stopped at the end of every song.
Dissapointment: Interpol. Short set, creators project collab sucked.

dekelou
04-16-2011, 08:17 AM
Agree with Magnetic Man. Totally uninspired. After all the hoopla about conflicts, left to see Beardyman. Best move of the day!

flowbee
04-16-2011, 08:19 AM
letdowns were cee lo being a idiot and the "untitled" gray art installation that never opened at all friday

Yea wtf is that? Wasn't there an art piece last year or 09' that opened only on the last day or something too?

joppy-slow
04-16-2011, 08:32 AM
so what's so hot shit about this new stage, that prevented multiple acts from full sets and various technical difficulties? time to fire the creators

gaypalmsprings
04-16-2011, 08:41 AM
Surprises:

Miss Lauren Hill - and watching Danny Devito crazy dancing to her tunes

Robyn - So gay!! Yay!!

Letdowns:

Celo Green - 20 minute set that was worse than taking a crap that gets stuck at your sphincter

Gayngs - Most people left by the 2nd song (me too) cuz it was sleepy-time music.

EmLeaux
04-16-2011, 08:56 AM
Letdown: Ariel Pink. What a fucking baby.

Mabdul Doobakus
04-16-2011, 09:07 AM
I thought Sleigh Bells was great. Up until that point things had been fun but not necessarily awesome. Cut Copy, Robyn, Chem Brothers...all awesome. Actually, Cut Copy may have been the biggest surprise for me. Their live show has improved a lot since I last saw them 2-3 years ago.

Disappointments? Odd Future was one of the worst 2 sets I've seen in my 5 years coming here. They're neck and neck with Trail of Dead back in maybe 2004. Tyler is the only one with any serious talent. Other than that it was just a bunch of disorganized kids up there drowning tyler out. We left after a song and a half.

TomAz
04-16-2011, 09:11 AM
Biggest disappointment was The Black Keys. TV screens didn't work and they weren't loud enough for the main stage.

When they were joined by their other musicians the vids started working and the sound got a lot louder.. I guess I thought this was on purpose because of the coincidence in timing. But maybe it was more of the broken shit plaguing the main stage much of the day.

abbeyroad 04
04-16-2011, 10:10 AM
Hurts were amazing! 2nd act of the day and they were hard to follow in my book. what a surprise.

concertgoer
04-16-2011, 10:19 AM
Hurts were soooo good.

Riflesmile
04-16-2011, 10:21 AM
Hurts were soooo good.

This^

SuperFocus
04-16-2011, 10:22 AM
Magnetic man not fixing their sound until the last five minutes and the chems losing 20 minutes of play time

PDXdev
04-16-2011, 10:29 AM
Cut Copy was my favorite act of the day.
Sasha was great as well; took me on a journey.

gmoneyak
04-16-2011, 10:30 AM
So glad I skipped Odd Future after all..

motionnn77
04-16-2011, 10:58 AM
Letdown: Ariel Pink. What a fucking baby.

He's done that before. I wasn't there because I knew it would happen again.

bobchella
04-16-2011, 11:05 AM
Magnetic man not fixing their sound until the last five minutes

I was so disappointed with their sound... someone really fucked up big time there. They also started 20 minutes late. After two songs I went to beardyman and was much happier!

motionnn77
04-16-2011, 11:05 AM
Biggest let down: cold cave. And also, being a Sleighbells fan, I decided to skip to see Interpol. Mistake! They were ok, but I ran and made last 15 mins. of Sleighbells.

Also, standing through KoL for the Chemies. I was so damned tired, but it was almost worth it..

Best for me; chemical bros., black keys, my beloved Sleighbells.

Biggest surprise: morning benders.

malcolmjamalawesome
04-16-2011, 11:09 AM
Afrojack OUT OF NOWHERE

djjoshchambers
04-16-2011, 11:18 AM
Skrillez bringing out lorn was awesome but his music is still meh. Chems coming on late sucked. We just left and missed them. Beardyman was awesome!

socalguy100
04-17-2011, 07:07 AM
Yacht, Sleigh Bells, and Crystal Castles were all great.

grannock
04-17-2011, 07:17 AM
Afrojack OUT OF NOWHERE

To be fair Afrojack has been killing the 4PM slot everywhere for over a year now. If you want some house while the sun is still up, check out Afrojack.

Memorial_07
04-17-2011, 07:46 AM
Omar's set was absolutely amazing. It should've just been billed "Omar & Cedric" because Cedric stole the show. That was a huge surprise to see him.
Black Joe Lewis and Hurts were also two of the unexpected highlights so far this weekend same with Lauryn Hill on Friday.

No one really disappointed me that much on Friday except Interpol was kinda eh.