PDA

View Full Version : The Bravery - would be a great addition

clubplanet.com
03-12-2007, 09:04 PM
Just caught their show tonight at the Bowery Ballroom (NYC) and they put on an amazing, high-energy set. Lots of new material from the album coming out in May, as well as their older stuff. Definitely would make a great Coachella addition...

ThunderInTheSky
03-12-2007, 09:11 PM
You mean Skabba the Hut?

daftmonkey64
03-12-2007, 09:34 PM
cought the last half of their set in '05 and was pretty enjoyable. but that was in the middle of the day, i think they would be rad at night on the outdoor stage

rage patton
03-12-2007, 10:31 PM
Ive heard from friends they are great live.
But also I have heard people on here say they suck like...
Hmm...
Meh. I wouldnt mind seeing them added. It would beat the Killers.

sonofhal
03-12-2007, 10:46 PM
I didn't even realise they were still around - wishful thinking on my part.

rno2worriesx
03-12-2007, 11:44 PM
Meh, wouldn't be too pleased with that addition

Rochec
03-13-2007, 06:06 AM
Ya there's nothing like some makeup and black leather in the desert.

They'd fit right in.

Leckie
03-13-2007, 06:10 AM
im gonna have to disagree

Tylerdurden31
03-13-2007, 06:30 AM
I personally can't stand them. They wound up on the tail end of a bad music trend.

side note, my company's president's assistant's son is the drummer for The Bravery.

C DUB YA
03-13-2007, 06:43 AM
Yeah, I think they are more style than substance, and complete rip-off artists - BUT - I have seen them live and actually found them enjoyable, I just know they are corporate rock in its worst incarnation (disguised as an stylish indie hipster band).

It will be tough for me to buy any of their future music.

Didn't the lead singer previously front a cheese metal and a reggae band before he got his euro hairdo and black eyeliner? It seems he'd front whatever the flavor of the month is. For the record, he steals his stage moves from Morrissey and Adam Ant.

Their video is also a ripoff, look into the film by Swiss artists Peter Fischli and David Weiss, The Way Things Go (1979) and you'll see what I mean.

http://www.frif.com/cat97/t-z/the_way_.html

bartelby
03-13-2007, 06:56 AM
i like the one tune and that's it...just listening to it makes me feel cheezy though

dontfeedthebird
03-13-2007, 07:01 AM
I think they're easy on the ears.

I'll glady accept durden's company's president's assistant's son's rip off band as an add.

C DUB YA
03-13-2007, 07:26 AM
I guess their new tune is not terrible.

SometimesNJ
03-13-2007, 07:36 AM
the Bravery are sub-par at best IMO

captncrzy
03-13-2007, 07:54 AM
They're really pretty decent live; I was actually suprised when I saw them here in Phoenix. I thought they would suck.

mandelbaum
03-13-2007, 08:56 AM
Just caught their show tonight at the Bowery Ballroom (NYC) and they put on an amazing, high-energy set. Lots of new material from the album coming out in May, as well as their older stuff. Definitely would make a great Coachella addition...

I wouldn't say the show at Bowery was amazing, but it was fairly enjoyable. The new album certainly doesn't have the same edge that the old album had though...I do think that this band is holding on for dear life to remain in some sort of spotlight...but they aren't a bad band.

Alchemy
03-13-2007, 08:58 AM
Hmmm, the Bravery are okay. I don't know how they'd stand in my Coachella day. Lots of good bands on each day that would win against them in a conflict, in my own opinion.

shotglass75
03-13-2007, 09:02 AM
Yeah, I think they are more style than substance, and complete rip-off artists - BUT - I have seen them live and actually found them enjoyable, I just know they are corporate rock in its worst incarnation (disguised as an stylish indie hipster band).

It will be tough for me to buy any of their future music.

Didn't the lead singer previously front a cheese metal and a reggae band before he got his euro hairdo and black eyeliner? It seems he'd front whatever the flavor of the month is. For the record, he steals his stage moves from Morrissey and Adam Ant.

Their video is also a ripoff, look into the film by Swiss artists Peter Fischli and David Weiss, The Way Things Go (1979) and you'll see what I mean.

http://www.frif.com/cat97/t-z/the_way_.html

I agree with everything you wrote except the music video thing. Most music videos are based off of films or other types of videos as inspiration. So as long as they credit that film as inspiration for that video, you can't knock 'em.

and now that I actually watch it, they could have gotten that idea from a cartoon, Mousetrap, or even The Goonies without even knowing that that film existed.

KungFuJoe
03-13-2007, 09:03 AM
I would take them as an addition only to free up the crowds for a band I'd actually like to see.

I saw them a couple of years ago at Cinespace. At the time i heard a coupl of songs by them and thought they were decent. After their live show though I thought they were horrible. I mean, I wanted to vomit when they started singing "Stop Drop and Roll you're on Fire!" That is quite the running joke between my roommate and I now.

Seriously though, I like a band that cares more about their music than their image.

PassiveTheory
03-13-2007, 09:21 AM
Let me put it this way.

I saw a show where Interpol headlined, with Bloc Party, The Bravery and Finch opening up (Finch -> Bravery -> Bloc Party -> Interpol).

The way The Bravery played that night? It made me go out and grab their CD immediately after the show.

The way Bloc Party played? Wondered why THEY weren't opening for Finch >>;

Getting to the point, yes I would love to see one of my favourite guilty pleasures play live at Coachella, and yes I would love to see the lead singer's Morrissey-rip off moves yet again. =D

daft$tar
03-13-2007, 09:49 AM
ew - no to bravery - yes to faint

msklvr
03-13-2007, 12:29 PM
I saw The Bravery @ Coachella two years ago and they sucked so bad and had so many problems, I walked out of the tent. Booooo!

shotglass75
03-13-2007, 12:33 PM
I saw The Bravery @ Coachella two years ago and they sucked so bad and had so many problems, I walked out of the tent. Booooo!

"Gold Bond Mediacted Powder, Like A thousand little angels blowing on your balls. Available at Walgreens."

I was there. I think their equipment melted that year. They didn't really find their stride until halfway through their set. I like your Gold Bond quote...looks familiar :)

msklvr
03-13-2007, 01:33 PM
Yeah, love that line. Classic. Thanks for the chuckles!

Boourns
03-13-2007, 02:32 PM
What's the difference between The Killers and The Bravery?

shygirl
03-13-2007, 02:47 PM
I was at the show at the Bowery too, first time seeing them. I thought they were great. I would love to see them at Coachella!

daft$tar
03-13-2007, 03:20 PM
What's the difference between The Killers and The Bravery?

there isnt a difference - the one thing they have in common is they are unoriginal versions of the faint

shotglass75
03-13-2007, 03:48 PM
there isnt a difference - the one thing they have in common is they are unoriginal versions of the faint

Quote of the day right there.

idrive1life
03-13-2007, 05:19 PM
I saw them opened for Depeche Mode (11/5/05 in Atlanta). They are just okay. Great addition? NOPE!

woogie846
03-13-2007, 05:29 PM
I'd be slightly depressed seeing The Bravery get added.

rivetbutt
03-13-2007, 05:33 PM
dunno how anyone can compare Killers/Bravery to the Faint... unless you have a very limited musical library.

first time i saw Bravery live it was a suckfest and Skabba couldn't sing for shit live. i guess they have semi honed themselves live by now. and fyi i thought the Killers were boring live too..

the Faint though....ill always see them when they come through.

C DUB YA
03-13-2007, 06:47 PM
I agree with everything you wrote except the music video thing. Most music videos are based off of films or other types of videos as inspiration. So as long as they credit that film as inspiration for that video, you can't knock 'em.

and now that I actually watch it, they could have gotten that idea from a cartoon, Mousetrap, or even The Goonies without even knowing that that film existed.

well you could say that - if the film did not exsist - but it does. They do not credit and there are exact sequences from it (flaming tether ball), so I think instead of being influenced by it, they are praying on people not knowing their shit.

shotglass75
03-13-2007, 06:48 PM
well you could say that if the film did not exsist - but it does. They do not credit and there are exact sequences from it (flaming tether ball), so I think they are praying on people not knowing their shit.

probably right, just being devils advocate.

mchertron
03-14-2007, 10:06 PM
I dont really like the new cd thats coming out . heard some of it and and it not as good as the first . i dont care if they come.
the killers would be good but i dont like the ass ego they have and they could find someone better. Elvis costello and fiona apple would be a good adition.
they did a tribute song together for costello and it was amazing. she gives a great act especiallyher expresions and energy are so great . I saw her in june and she perfected every song. I think she has gotten 10 times better at live performances .

motionnn77
03-25-2010, 07:50 PM
(I know, old thread).

But now I know what to expect when I see them this Saturday. This if free, btw.

Justin170
03-25-2010, 08:12 PM
Their first CD was great. Everything else has been utter dogshit! :winkiss

rasooli
03-25-2010, 09:47 PM
^agree

NoGwenPlease
03-25-2010, 10:02 PM
Meh, wouldn't be too pleased with that addition
Wouldn't give a fuck.