PDA

View Full Version : Regina Spektor

daftmonkey64
03-12-2007, 03:25 PM
I'm just now checking her out. She has a sort of norah jones meets joni mitchell feel. anyone really stoked on seeing her?

captncrzy
03-12-2007, 04:08 PM
I'm just now checking her out. She has a sort of norah jones meets joni mitchell feel. anyone really stoked on seeing her?

I'm not "stoked", but I am planning on it-barring any major time frame conflict.

ApathyAndExhaustion
03-12-2007, 05:14 PM
Regina is brilliant. I saw her live a couple of weeks ago and she was wonderful - though I don't think she'll be quite as quirky during a festival performance. I'd still highly recommend checking her out though.

Kiefer
03-12-2007, 05:49 PM
i have to admit, i know nothing of her aside from the video they show on vh1 and that a lot of people love her. which, to me, seems to contradict - people obviously love her for some reason, but i hope that video/song is not it. i cant handle that one...

sighlent
03-12-2007, 07:04 PM
She always puts on such the unique show... her personality mostly makes you love her, it comes through her performance very strongly. Definitely one of the most enjoyable solo acts... her song about a baby jesus statue in the window of a 99 cent store is a superb example of her ability to precisely capture odd traits of human regiment... she's good stuff to say the least.

jenni4
03-12-2007, 07:18 PM
Regina's album is very similar to her single out now, Fidelity. So if all that staccato drives you crazy you'd probably not enjoy her. Although, I think she is great and creative and unique. She is definitely on my 'must-see' list!!

daftmonkey64
03-12-2007, 09:57 PM
She always puts on such the unique show... her personality mostly makes you love her, it comes through her performance very strongly. Definitely one of the most enjoyable solo acts... her song about a baby jesus statue in the window of a 99 cent store is a superb example of her ability to precisely capture odd traits of human regiment... she's good stuff to say the least.

deep

rage patton
03-12-2007, 09:58 PM
The two acts my girlfriend wants to see most are Rage Against The Machine!!! and Regina Spektor...
Go figure eh?
Well I will be checking out her set for sure. Its not really my style, but I definately appreciate her. And I do like a couple songs of hers...

Encaitare
03-12-2007, 10:57 PM
My little sister was rocking out to her video a few weeks ago on VH1 and I recognized her name from the Coachella line up so I downloaded a few songs - they were all really unique vocally and lyrically, and I seldom get into new music, but I admit I've had her on my music mix in my car ever since.

Alchemy
03-13-2007, 09:36 AM
My friend saw her in Florida once. That was before this new album though. He said that she had something like a wood block next to her piano, and in one song she was playing the piano real fast with one hand, and hitting the block with the other hand. It sounds cool.

I think she has a full band up there with her now. Back then it was just her by herself.

AdamUK
03-13-2007, 05:33 PM
i saw her at v festival in england in august, then she was still playing on her own, i dunno if its changed now, it was pretty awesome! she had a chair next to her she was hitting with a drumstick. I think some of the songs would be better with a drummer and a bassist but it wouldnt be the same regina experience! it would be cooler if she was headlining a gig i think and everyone was into it, at the festival i think there were alot of people just thinking "what the fuck is this??"

djfk1
03-13-2007, 08:44 PM
I have seen Regina 4 times including the recording of the "Live @ Bullmoose" ep. She is a talent without rival. To the person who compared her to norah Jones, She sounds absolutely nothing like Snore-ah Jones. The Joni Mitchell comparison wasn't too far off. If you like quirky pop tunes with a little vocal improv then go on rhapsody and check her out. You might be pleasantly surprised.

jorona79
03-13-2007, 09:39 PM
If I had to choose between 2 forms of torture...listen to Regina Spektor or be sprayed by a skunk who just lapped up a liquified mixture of Immodium AD and putrified maggot intestine...I would choose the latter.

Tied with Coheed and Cambria, this has to be the most ear-piercingly, god-awful "performer" to ever do Coachella.

For Pete's sake, that new song Spektor has out sounds like that horny crow that sits out my window and wakes me up a 5 o'clock in the friggin morning. Terrrible, just terrible!

Alchemy
03-14-2007, 10:01 AM
If I had to choose between 2 forms of torture...listen to Regina Spektor or be sprayed by a skunk who just lapped up a liquified mixture of Immodium AD and putrified maggot intestine...I would choose the latter.

Tied with Coheed and Cambria, this has to be the most ear-piercingly, god-awful "performer" to ever do Coachella.

For Pete's sake, that new song Spektor has out sounds like that horny crow that sits out my window and wakes me up a 5 o'clock in the friggin morning. Terrrible, just terrible!

Oh calm down, she isn't that bad. I admit that she isn't one of the better on the line up, but she isn't tied to be the "most ear-piercingly, god-awful "performer" to ever do Coachella." And horny crow? What the hell kind of analogy is that? Regina Spektor is a decent artist. She reminds me of James Blunt. Her CD isn't all that great, but you can bear seeing her live.

ghettojournalist
03-14-2007, 10:15 AM
if only james blunt could be as funny as regina, then maybe that comparison would ring true.

Alchemy
03-14-2007, 10:19 AM
I think I like Lily Allen's CD a little more than Regina Spektor's. Lily Allen has a lot of funny variation on her CD that makes each song unique. I just wish her lyrics were not so teenage cell phone obsessed girlish. Regina Spektor's songs are definatly more mature and thought out (and better), but Lily Allen sounds really fun and bitchy.

ApathyAndExhaustion
03-14-2007, 11:40 AM
Those who consider Spektor to be a conventional singer-songwriter might have something of a point based on Begin To Hope (though I really love that album, as far as I'm concerned her songwriting has matured without losing all of her idiosyncracies), but check out her stuff prior to that - or a lot of the huge number of songs she plays live but has never recorded - and you might agree she is a little bit more complex and interesting than that.

Momoschaf
03-14-2007, 12:28 PM
Regina is great. She is my must-see!!! But I don't think her new album is the best CD she ever made... listen to Mary Ann meets the Gravediggers it's BRILLIANT. There's also a live concert on at google video, if you're interested.

MOMO

Momoschaf
03-14-2007, 12:32 PM
My friend saw her in Florida once. That was before this new album though. He said that she had something like a wood block next to her piano, and in one song she was playing the piano real fast with one hand, and hitting the block with the other hand. It sounds cool.

"Poor little rich boy" ;)

Alchemy
03-14-2007, 12:34 PM
That's a cool video. Her live show is like a real awesome piano recital.

ApathyAndExhaustion
03-14-2007, 12:55 PM
That video is fantastic. Good example of her qualities as a performer.

Alchemy
03-14-2007, 12:58 PM
That baby Jesus song is hilarious.

Ascension12
03-14-2007, 03:11 PM
I LOVE Regina Spektor. I've never seen her live, but I am very much looking forward to it.

ApathyAndExhaustion
03-14-2007, 05:12 PM
That baby Jesus song is hilarious.

She played it when I saw her, it was brilliant. According to an obsessive fan who was with me, five (or six, I forget) of the songs she played that night had never been recorded.

ajane
03-14-2007, 11:52 PM
dont listen to "begin to hope." i like fidelity ok, but the whole album is a lot more conventional/doctored/unexciting than her previous stuff.

"soviet kitsch" is way better. carbon monoxide, us, ghost of corporate future, chemo limo - all supreeeeeme. ahhhh shes fantastic!

sighlent
03-14-2007, 11:57 PM
I was pretty surprised when I heard begin to hope, its production especially, so polished and so not Regina, at least not the one I was used to.

boarderwoozel3
03-15-2007, 12:00 AM
Regina Spektor, I'd give it to her...