PDA

View Full Version : Hipsters

jayce
03-12-2007, 09:23 AM
Discuss this subculture.

Personally, I can't stand people who make an effort to go out and have a good time, and then end up spending the entire night pretending to be miserable.

What's the point?

Also, why do they all look like Jesus?

J~$$$
03-12-2007, 09:26 AM
Why do you have to hate? This is bullshit.

chunk
03-12-2007, 09:27 AM
i thought the term was a hip way to describe people who looked hippy. that and "scene". scene kids, im so scene...

jackstraw94086
03-12-2007, 09:31 AM
"hipsters" are not a subculture. there are many types of hipsters.

and complaints about hipsters generally come from pseudo-hipsters, a far more insideous breed.

TomAz
03-12-2007, 09:33 AM
http://www.philadelphiaweekly.com/images/issues/2005-11-16/large/img_10904_cover11090.jpg

smokealotapotamus
03-12-2007, 09:43 AM
Hipsters = The fuckers that just stand there and bob their heads and give me dirty looks when i'm trying to get down at a built to spill show.

jayce
03-12-2007, 09:46 AM
"hipsters" are not a subculture. there are many types of hipsters.

and complaints about hipsters generally come from pseudo-hipsters, a far more insideous breed.

well then enlighten me! what kind of hipsters are there?

in this thread i'm talking about people who go out of their way to make you feel stupid for discovering a band, or dj, a few months after they've become popular. the people who sneer at you when you get a little excited at a club and jump up and down when you hear an awesome track. the people who laugh at the pretty dress you happen to be wearing that night because you bought it at banana republic or nordstroms.

who cares? they obviously do! it's pathetic. i don't make fun of them for looking like the second coming of homeless disco jesus, so they should really just stfu.

wmgaretjax
03-12-2007, 09:46 AM
ah hipsters... up here in seattle they are quite common. they need to dance more.

jayce
03-12-2007, 09:47 AM
Hipsters = The fuckers that just stand there and bob their heads and give me dirty looks when i'm trying to get down at a built to spill show.

exactly!
would it really hurt to just smile a little?

J~$$$
03-12-2007, 09:47 AM
banana republic or nordstroms......loser.

jayce
03-12-2007, 09:50 AM
banana republic or nordstroms......loser.

^ probably wears puma, adidas, and converse, but doesn't realize who actually owns those companies.

J~$$$
03-12-2007, 09:51 AM
"who cares? they obviously do! it's pathetic. i don't make fun of them for looking like the second coming of homeless disco jesus, so they should really just stfu."

jackstraw94086
03-12-2007, 09:57 AM
the definition of a hipster is not simply someone who doesn't dance or refuses to have fun. They exist outside of the indie rock sphere and they often dance more than most people do. A hipster is usually just someone who makes a concerted effort to remain on the bleeding edge of fad or scene for its own sake, often without a real appreciation of the substance behind it. Hipsters only exist because you pay attention to them. Stop watching thm and they'll keep drifting to the next fad until you do.

And hipsters very often spend a lot more money on their clothes than banana republic charges (but possibly not nordstroms, don't lump in nordstrom's)

jackstraw94086
03-12-2007, 09:58 AM
^ probably wears puma, adidas, and converse, but doesn't realize who actually owns those companies.

he's joking. Justin actually wears only J Crew and Izods

J~$$$
03-12-2007, 09:58 AM
Tennis anyone?

jayce
03-12-2007, 10:02 AM
And hipsters very often spend a lot more money on their clothes than banana republic charges (but possibly not nordstroms, don't lump in nordstrom's)

I know that. I wasn't talking about price, rather the fact that they wouldn't be caught dead wearing mainstream name brands.

J~$$$
03-12-2007, 10:02 AM
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m262/ethanbrom/makos1.jpg

jayce
03-12-2007, 10:03 AM
the definition of a hipster is not simply someone who doesn't dance or refuses to have fun. They exist outside of the indie rock sphere and they often dance more than most people do. A hipster is usually just someone who makes a concerted effort to remain on the bleeding edge of fad or scene for its own sake, often without a real appreciation of the substance behind it. Hipsters only exist because you pay attention to them. Stop watching thm and they'll keep drifting to the next fad until you do.

Well I don't only got out to listen to music in my own little bubble. I like going to places with good energy. I think they take away from that a lot of the time.

J~$$$
03-12-2007, 10:05 AM
HIPPIE!!!

shotglass75
03-12-2007, 10:08 AM
Kinda like the people described here, gotta watch the whole thing for the punch line

_Hr-WtMqB_0

PotVsKtl
03-12-2007, 10:17 AM
Who the fuck dances at a Built to Spill show? Those people around you looking annoyed aren't hipsters. You're the douche son. You're the douche.

chunk
03-12-2007, 10:24 AM
its more than dancing when youre getting down.

bballarl
03-12-2007, 10:24 AM
You could sway slowly or something.

smokealotapotamus
03-12-2007, 10:28 AM
You're calling me a douche for jammin at a built to spill show? I'm sorry you feel that way.

luveebunni08
03-12-2007, 10:37 AM
in this thread i'm talking about people who go out of their way to make you feel stupid for discovering a band, or dj, a few months after they've become popular. the people who sneer at you when you get a little excited at a club and jump up and down when you hear an awesome track. the people who laugh at the pretty dress you happen to be wearing that night because you bought it at banana republic or nordstroms.

as far as the music, they're elitists. have you ever heard a band before they hit really big? it's that kind of pride of "i totally knew about it before you followers" but to another level. elitists actually appreciate the music they find and expereince. i don't think people who sneer at you for a certain type of dress or knowing about a type of music after it hit big are "hipsters". they're more or less people who want to feel better by making you feel like shit when it's the most ridiculous power to allow them.

just laugh and go on with life. they don't determine who you are or what you're about, so why waste the time thinking about it.

PotVsKtl
03-12-2007, 10:41 AM
Well let's get our terms straight. Are you "jammin" or "trying to get down"? The first would seem to be more acceptable, removed entirely from the context of this conversation, but the absence of the ultimate "g" indicates to me that your particular brand of jamming might, in fact, be so similar to "trying to get down" as to be identical to the outside observer.

SojuGorae
Googled hipster and this was the first image that came up

http://www.columbia.edu/cu/thefed/v2/archives/19/19.3/images/hipster.jpg

PotVsKtl
Also, you're a douche just for your username so I don't think I'm prematurely popping an advent flap here.

J~$$$
03-12-2007, 10:51 AM
_ABZPinjaFY

smokealotapotamus
03-12-2007, 10:51 AM
Jammin man... and gettin down can be interpreted in many different ways. No... I'm not the asshole who's bumping into everybody and making them uncomfertable.

"Turn your back on this hatin', turn your back on this hatin'" - Dug (Temporarily Blind)

bballarl
03-12-2007, 10:55 AM
Justin is the king of timely pictures/videos.

J~$$$
03-12-2007, 10:56 AM
I think that is smokealotapot. His avatar and the guy in the video bare a uncanny resemblance.

smokealotapotamus
03-12-2007, 10:57 AM
yeah, that's rad. That guy is obviously really high on drugs, or mentally challenged, either way he's having a great time. *way to go really high/and or mentally challenged dude!*

Just a thought: why am I being subjected to *douche-hood* for saying I like to jam at built to spill, I mean, it's hard not to. and as far as the name goes, (didn't make it up) but I thought it was clever. I know that I did it to myself but I feel that I've proven with enough well thought out posts that I'm obviously not braindead (I dont smoke that much pot). Why can't we all get along?

romeoisbleeding
03-12-2007, 11:00 AM
My definition of a hipster is someone whose main form of communication is "observational criticism"....i.e.

I live near Williamsburg, Brooklyn, which has become the capital of these types of peeps in the last 5-8 years.

If you describe your job as "I'm an artist, i'm doing a lot of different things"
Your a hipster

If the only thing you remember about being at live music performances is your personal critique of the show
Your a hipster

If you judge people as squares by the way they dress and wear their hair...
Your a hipster

J~$$$
03-12-2007, 11:03 AM
thanks lower east side NYC.

bballarl
03-12-2007, 11:07 AM
I can't wait to break out my ironic slogan t-shirts at Coachella this year.

Or is that so 2005?

Tylerdurden31
03-12-2007, 11:43 AM
williamsburg, williamsburg, williamsburg...what will we do with you.

the look of a hipster in williamsburg is pretty much as so:

tight shirt (solid or thrift store), jeans that are slightly too tight (possibly cuffed at the bottom), if they have glasses...they're elvis costello glasses, converse or pumas or maybe some sort of vegan shoe. Hair unkempt. wristband for no reason.

I remember the first time I walked through there...every other guy or girl looked the same. yay for individuality

TomAz
03-12-2007, 11:46 AM
http://www.los40.com/los40media/los40/media/200509/01/actualidad/noticias/20050901l40l40not_1_I_SCO.jpg

blakely
03-12-2007, 11:51 AM
_ABZPinjaFY

^^^^ Spec-Fucking-Tacular

Tylerdurden31
03-12-2007, 11:52 AM
http://www.los40.com/los40media/los40/media/200509/01/actualidad/noticias/20050901l40l40not_1_I_SCO.jpg

exactly

Oh whoa-oh, well the pony was funky
The watusi was kinda smooth
Oh whoa-oh, well the problem with all
Those little dance steps was you had to move
Oh whoa-oh, well they found a brand-new step
And it doesn't take anything to get this groove, uh-huh!
And I don't want no standing still
And they're doing the standing still
And I don't want no standing still hey!
Oh whoa-oh, well it's a sensation
Across the entire nation.
Oh whoa-oh, a hundred million kids
All dancing in suspended animation, hmm
Oh whoa-oh, and the feeling's all right
We'll be standing still until the morning light, yeah!
And I don't want no standing still hey!
I'm not mad, I'm just disappointed
Oh, my aching head.
Uh-huh!
Oh whoa-oh, in Fargo, six or seven kids
Watched the Plan in a strip-mall
I thought they were bored out of their skulls
But it turns out they were having a ball, uh-huh
Oh whoa-oh, well I finally knew
They were doing a brand-new step everybody isn't moving to
And I don't want no standing still yeah!

jayce
03-12-2007, 11:59 AM
Well here in vancouver, on top of the glasses and tight jeans, they all have disgustingly unkempt looking facial hair. Hence my homeless jesus reference.

jackstraw94086
03-12-2007, 12:19 PM
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y58/jackstraw94086/overrock.jpg

SometimesNJ
03-12-2007, 12:23 PM
is he talking about hippies?

shotglass75
03-12-2007, 12:27 PM
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y58/jackstraw94086/overrock.jpg

that was fast. I think this guy could be the new "Star Wars Kid"

jackstraw94086
03-12-2007, 12:31 PM
both the video and that pic are several months old. This is just a revival

shotglass75
03-12-2007, 12:33 PM
lucky him :)

J~$$$
03-12-2007, 12:34 PM
You aint hip hop.

smokealotapotamus
03-12-2007, 01:13 PM
both the video and that pic are several months old. This is just a revival

And a wonderful revival it is

jerpar24
03-12-2007, 06:33 PM
If I could find a pic of my friend Kevin I would show you guys a young hipster.

hangthedj112
03-12-2007, 06:50 PM

Who the hell gets down at a Built to Spill show? Anyways, hipsters don't bother me, they're pleasant, and bring all the good music and shopping to whererver they congregate, which I find cool.

SojuGorae
03-12-2007, 07:45 PM
I don't show emotion at shows, I don't usually smile, and I spend a good amount of money on my clothes.. does that make me a hipster???
Of course not.

If you buy clothes that you think is "in" at the moment. Then you're a hipster.

kreutz2112
03-12-2007, 07:46 PM
I don't show emotion at shows, I don't usually smile, and I spend a good amount of money on my clothes.. does that make me a hipster???

do you find clap your hands say yeah intriguing?

thinnerair
03-12-2007, 08:03 PM
oh the brooklyn hipster.
i remember about 3 years ago, you couldnt walk through willyburg without running into 3 girls that looked like some Molly Ringwald variation.

oh and ps...90% on this message board are hipsters. Whether you like it or not. Deal with it.

La Ferrassie
03-12-2007, 08:30 PM
oh and ps...90% on this message board are hipsters. Whether you like it or not. Deal with it.
Then why aren't they defending their scene.

J~$$$
03-12-2007, 08:30 PM
I guess im a hipster and sure, im damm proud of it. I love staying up on current trends of music, fashion, art, food, travel, technology and the rest of the BS thats new and exciting. So yeah, fuck you if you want to rain on my parade.

blakely
03-12-2007, 08:33 PM
labels are sooooo 90's.......

arie117
03-12-2007, 08:33 PM
a hip hop the hippie the hippie To the hip hip a hop

J~$$$
03-12-2007, 08:35 PM
Oh and I know who Jack works for now.

BoardsofCoachella
03-12-2007, 09:43 PM
I can't wait to break out my ironic slogan t-shirts at Coachella this year.

Or is that so 2005?

2005 was the trucker hat year, wasn't it?
Or should I say, also the trucker hat year.

kreutz2112
03-12-2007, 09:50 PM

I had a glassjaw trucker hat in 2003. I also had a beard. I miss those days.

smokealotapotamus
03-12-2007, 09:56 PM
Who the hell gets down at a Built to Spill show? Anyways, hipsters don't bother me, they're pleasant, and bring all the good music and shopping to whererver they congregate, which I find cool.

I know I'm not the only one... me and the retarded guy. We're goin places.

kreutz2112
03-12-2007, 10:42 PM
Trick question.

SojuGorae
03-12-2007, 10:42 PM

Trucker hats were worn long before 05. I'd say around the late 90s and early 2000s. It did blow up later on though.

chunk
03-13-2007, 08:21 AM
anybody who uses the term pseudo-indie is a hipster.

dalethethug
03-13-2007, 12:13 PM
hipsters are educated hippies, mostly harmless. you just have to stay clear from the ones that think they're better than everyone else

Hannahrain
03-13-2007, 12:16 PM
anybody who uses the term pseudo-indie is a hipster.

Anybody who defines people by their vocabulary is a hipster.

(tag. who's next?)

blakely
03-13-2007, 12:20 PM
I had a glassjaw trucker hat in 2003. I also had a beard. I miss those days.

i have a glassJAw trucker hat....... still cant grow a beard though....

blakely
03-13-2007, 12:21 PM
Anybody who defines people by their vocabulary is a hipster.

(tag. who's next?)

anybody who makes broad generalizations is a hipster....

(tag)

Boourns
03-13-2007, 12:52 PM
Hipsters are a good justification for genocide.

thinnerair
03-13-2007, 02:03 PM
anybody who makes broad generalizations is a hipster....

(tag)

Who you calling a broad, nobeard?

dontfeedthebird
03-13-2007, 02:36 PM
Then why aren't they defending their scene.

A hipster would never admit he was a hipster.

jackstraw94086
03-13-2007, 03:03 PM

some do. some relish it actually.

semisonic
03-13-2007, 03:26 PM
Glasses are key. Real hippies don't wear them unless they're really old school and sport the John Lennon round wire frames. They can't afford laser eye surgery because they've spent all their money on grow lights and lama feed. For the most part, they don't care whether they can see anyway. Hipsters go with the plastic or fat lightweight metal frames, even if they don't need glasses at all. Some of them have gotten laser surgery but still wear $600 glasses.

Alchemy
03-13-2007, 03:49 PM
Speaking of hipster doofuses... Did DeltaSigChi finally get banned? I have been browsing the board less annoyed lately, and I didn't realize why that might be.

jayce
03-14-2007, 03:38 AM
I'm not ready for this thread to die yet.

jayce
03-14-2007, 05:08 AM
Ok, so I hear that Justice is coming to Vancouver this month (part of the north american ed banger tour). I'm trying to find information on the show, because their myspace is vague about the venue, so I go looking on www.clubvibes.com Someone's already posted a thread asking about information and why the show isn't been advertised on clubvibes. Keep in mind that most clubnights are advertised in clubvibes. Someone politely informs the thread starter that "the hipsters are throwing the show, and hipsters don't promote on clubvibes."

!!!!!

They infuriate me!

kroqken
04-17-2007, 07:54 PM
Where do these hipsters go to get such cool clothes?

idrive1life
04-17-2007, 07:56 PM
Urban Outfitters
Ben Sherman
Buckle

:D

Boourns
04-17-2007, 08:03 PM
Urban Outfitters
Ben Sherman
Buckle

:D

Yes, and any place that sells hideous, obscenely expensive "vintage" stuff. And those American Apparel shirts that run two sizes to small.

But you have to say it all came from a thrift store, of course.

phoenixsky
04-17-2007, 08:13 PM
The Essence of Scene
By phoenixsky

I'm, like, so artistic.

You've never even heard of my favorite bands so shut the fuck up. I'm way more scene than you'll ever be. Know why? Cuz I layer my bangs with a pocket knife and drink hard liquor. I'm, like, indie-r than you. Shut up. I spin records. Bitch. Morrissey's, like...God. Don't worry that I let the tracks play out. That's normal. I'm not a DJ. I spin records.

I know there's more to life than rock and roll but...nevermind, there's nothing more to life. Let's, like, go be political and stuff. Fuck voting. You don't need to vote. Just go listen to rock and roll.

I've got, like, sleeves and tight jeans and lots of buttons. The thrift stores around my house are getting so old. We need to go vintage. Saver's isn't vintage. I steal my Grandma's bras when she's sleeping. Fuck Victoria's Secret.

I'm the one who made Chuck Taylor's popular. Fuck you.

I only talk in prose. I can quote Caroack...I just can't spell his name. Art is my life. What kind of art? Uhhh...like art, dude. I collect body modifications.

My shades are my staple. No, maybe it's my big jewelry. No, it's my bandana. Rockabilly style. I'm so fucking rockabilly. Yeah. Pinup, bitches. I'm a pinup girl for this one website.

I'm not like any of you clones. Go shop at American Eagle, cloney clone clonester. (Just stop by Hot Topic on your way out cuz I saw this belt there last week that, like, I really need for this Friday. Thanks. I'll pay you back.)

I'm so indie I shit concert tickets...which means I can most likely get you backstage too. Cuz, like, I know the singer. He's local. Did you even know that?

I'm, like, so...fuckin'...fuck. What? Don't even talk to me. Just come support my new night. It's called, "A Room Full of The Same People". It's on Thursdays. Five bucks. I'll be spinning.

Quentin
04-17-2007, 08:31 PM
The Essence of Scene
By phoenixsky

I'm, like, so artistic.

You've never even heard of my favorite bands so shut the fuck up. I'm way more scene than you'll ever be. Know why? Cuz I layer my bangs with a pocket knife and drink hard liquor. I'm, like, indie-r than you. Shut up. I spin records. Bitch. Morrissey's, like...God. Don't worry that I let the tracks play out. That's normal. I'm not a DJ. I spin records.

I know there's more to life than rock and roll but...nevermind, there's nothing more to life. Let's, like, go be political and stuff. Fuck voting. You don't need to vote. Just go listen to rock and roll.

I've got, like, sleeves and tight jeans and lots of buttons. The thrift stores around my house are getting so old. We need to go vintage. Saver's isn't vintage. I steal my Grandma's bras when she's sleeping. Fuck Victoria's Secret.

I only talk in prose. I can quote Caroack...I just can't spell his name. Art is my life. What kind of art? Uhhh...like art, dude. I collect body modifications.

My shades are my staple. No, maybe it's my big jewelry. No, it's my bandana. Rockabilly style. I'm so fucking rockabilly. Yeah. Pinup, bitches. I'm a pinup girl for this one website.

I'm not like any of you clones. Go shop at American Eagle, cloney clone clonester. (Just stop by Hot Topic on your way out cuz I saw this belt there last week that, like, I really need for this Friday. Thanks. I'll pay you back.)

I'm so indie I shit concert tickets...which means I can most likely get you backstage too. Cuz, like, I know the singer. He's local. Did you even know that?

I'm, like, so...fuckin'...fuck. What? Don't even talk to me. Just come support my new night. It's called, "A Room Full of The Same People". It's on Thursdays. Five bucks. I'll be spinning.

Hahahaha, that made me laugh so hard! But I like buttons :(

I just don't like people who are music elitists and if you play something that they don't like, they become total asses about it and get off on you for it.

denies the day
04-17-2007, 09:58 PM
This thread makes me want to shave off my mustache. Or moustache.

arbouler
04-17-2007, 10:19 PM
Where do these hipsters go to get such cool clothes?

i shop at goodwill and buffalo exchange.

no i am not a hipster.

and i dont wear those stupid black glasses with no lens in em. thats just retarded.

All That I Am
04-17-2007, 10:23 PM
_ABZPinjaFY
I watched that whole video imagining that guy is deaf and as he was walking down the street he realized that this street performer was playing one of his favorite songs that he used to love but will never be able to hear again in this life due to that one terrible evening when the hot air balloon burst permanently rupturing his eardrums.

kroqken
04-18-2007, 08:14 AM
Once a hipster get old, he or she becomes a broken hipster.

joppy-slow
04-18-2007, 10:28 AM
most of these hipster's you can find at an Arcade Fire show....they are massive music snobs and will smug you if you don't like postal service, arcade fire, bowie, bauhaus, bjork and thom york.. they wear those wool sweaters that are 3 sizes too small, always have the thickiest nerdo glasses on, and wear converse.. also they have the anorexic look going on because they would rather spend money on the next ultra new cool show, so they can tell you the next day.. "maannn.. did you see 'Disco Hornet's Cock' last night??? they opened up for 'Black Rim Job Joey' and put on a killllla show.. yeah i was there upfront the whole time.they played a sick cover of Bowies - Ziggy stardus.." then spend money on a burger... they also have to eat at local only, vegan coffee shops..
then I say.. "hey are you going to the White Lion concert tonight" and then they usually have this puzzled look on their face, like a deer caught in a semi-trucks headlights, and leave..
Also they tend to continually tell every fucking person they know, that they have been reading Vonnegut, Kerouac and Nietzsche, so they come off like a well read robots..that's my version of a hipster..

ragingdave
04-18-2007, 10:45 AM
I like Disco Hornet's Cock.

joppy-slow
04-18-2007, 10:51 AM
you better like Disco Hornets Cock.. or we will profile you as a hipster...
wait until Coachella books them next year.. and you can say to everyone, 'i used to like Disco hornets cock, before they sold out and played Coachella.. smug smug..'

TomAz
04-18-2007, 01:39 PM

dave, I think you could have left off the "disco" and "hornet's".

BeeII
04-18-2007, 02:18 PM
The Essence of Scene
By phoenixsky

I'm, like, so artistic.

http://smiliesftw.com/x/bowrofl.gif (http://smiliesftw.com)

BeeII
04-18-2007, 02:28 PM

disco hornet's cock is soooooo fin

kroqken
04-20-2007, 08:05 AM
So does a non-hipster have a chance trying to ask out a hipster on a date? The odds seem slim to none.

Courtney
04-20-2007, 08:06 AM
So does a non-hipster have a chance trying to ask out a hipster on a date? The odds seem slim to none.

Yes. But only in the sense that neither of them actually believe that they are "hipsters" when in fact they both are.

luveebunni08
04-20-2007, 08:24 AM

some do. some relish it actually.

then they're a poser. i thinks that's all "hipsters" or any other classification really is. you pose as something to fit in, or avoid conformity, but really it's a front. i've met soooooooooo many people who are "scene" or "elitists" and overall assholes as a result of it. there are sincere lovers of keeping up with the latest trends, music, art, or whatever and those people are awesome to talk to, because they don't play into the whole "i'm better than you because..." mentality.

that's why i loke coachella. the sincere people generally outnumber the poser population.

kroqken
04-20-2007, 09:05 AM
Maybe Courtney is a hipster. Then again, maybe I am too.

ThomThom
04-20-2007, 09:08 AM
I like to wear band t-shirts every now and then, does that mean I'm some sort of a hipster?

kroqken
04-20-2007, 09:11 AM
I cannot find my Ride t-shirt from their concert I saw in 1992 with Slowdive.

BoardsofCoachella
04-20-2007, 09:23 AM
I cannot find my Ride t-shirt from their concert I saw in 1992 with Slowdive.

I went in '92 and saw them at the Palace, only it was with Pale Saints.
Too bad they didn't sell shirts though.
Hopefully Ride can play Coachella some day.

kroqken
04-20-2007, 10:39 AM
I saw Ride at the Graduate in Santa Barbara.

Quentin
04-21-2007, 07:55 PM
:( i'd rather spend money on books and videogames or concerts then eat...you can always bum food off people :D

kroqken
04-22-2007, 06:08 PM
I like purchasing music, but so many people steal it off the Internet.

kroqken
11-24-2008, 02:10 AM
Hipster girls are often so hot. Every time I go to Amoeba Records, I almost get whiplash seeing all of the hipster girl in there, both customers and employees. It beats Times Square for most hipsters in a closed in area.