PDA

View Full Version : Brief Review of Patty Griffin at El Pedregal last night

TomAz
03-11-2007, 06:21 AM
El Pedregal is a smallish, high-end shopping center in Cave Creek. way the hell up north of most of the PHX metro area. If you ever wanted to drop $200 on a lamp shade, this is where you would go. The buildings are two stories, laid out in a circle, with an open air 'atrium' in the center. That's where the stage was set up. One of the oddest venues I've seen a show at, but hey, it worked. (except: beer was $6, 'premium' beer $7, a glass of wine $8)

Opener Terremoto was a guy on drums (turns out it was Patty Griffin's drummer), a guy on standup bass, and a computer. The bassist both fingered and bowed the bass, sometimes at the same time, which was kind of weird. it was mostly latin jazz but with a strong electronic/d&b feel to it.

Patty came out on acoustic, backed by same drummer, one hell of an electric guitarist, bass, and 'multi-instumentalist'. 14 songs plus two encores, and I knew almost none of the songs. (I don't have her new album and have barely listened to the one before that; I'm a big fan of her earlier stuff). Musical styles ranged from folk, to folk/rock, to blues, to country/rock. This was the 2nd time I'd seen her; first time was 7 years ago and her set then was much harder/modern rock. Patty's been veering offly close to Bonnie Raitt land lately which is a shame because she's capable of so much more. (BR annoys the fuck out of me).

Two things Patty's got are (1) very sharp songwriting, and (2) that voice. The voice was the redeeming factor of the night for me. the songwriting is emotional without getting sappy or sentimental, which is not an easy trick to pull off. but that voice. She could sing Mary Had a Little Lamb and I'd be mesmerized.

all in all, worth attending, though the quiet folk songs got a little wearying after a while.

vinylmartyr
03-11-2007, 06:25 AM
Don't lie you love Bonnie Raittwtf.

vinylmartyr
03-11-2007, 06:26 AM
You love KD Langwtf too.

vinylmartyr
03-11-2007, 06:29 AM
ffffffffftb fuck offfffffff!!!!