PDA

View Full Version : police check points

tygamilk
04-03-2011, 09:16 PM
I'm wondering if the police check points (varying from 1/4mi to 1mi outside the festival perimter) will be asking to see valid drivers license because mine right now is restricted and I don't wanna get a citation.

Anyone have any info on this? Thanks!

BROKENDOLL
04-03-2011, 09:18 PM
I'm wondering if the police check points (varying from 1/4mi to 1mi outside the festival perimter) will be asking to see valid drivers license because mine right now is restricted and I don't wanna get a citation.

If you're going with someone, have them drive in. Even if they check your license, you weren't driving...;)-

Suffacated
04-03-2011, 09:21 PM
Way to go advertising!
The coachella cops will be looking for wrist bands. But if you look and act like you have a restricted license or are trying to hide something, good luck. Just act chill and chances are that they will wave you on by.

insbordnat
04-03-2011, 09:49 PM

The only way they can tell if your license is restricted is either running it through the computer, or if it states it's restricted on the license (or is invalidated, say with a punched hole).

Use common sense. Do you think they will be running DL for any(every)one? NO.

If it says it's restricted on your license, will you get busted? PROBABLY.

Oh, and if it's "restricted", chances are it'll be more than a citation.

frizzlefry
04-03-2011, 10:15 PM
I'm praying that they aren't checking licenses at the checkpoint, this basically means the biggest traffic clusterfuck Coachella has ever seen. The whole point of sticking your arms out of the window is for the cop to efficiently see that everybody in the vehicle has a wristband without having to stop them and make small talk with the driver. Checking for ID makes this process completely moot. The FAQs don't say anything about having your license out for the checkpoint. They should say something if that was the case, to help avoid the the time it will take to fumble around in your car.

insbordnat
04-03-2011, 10:25 PM
^In other words, they have no reason to check unless you look sketchball. Don't be a pussy.

MarkMark
04-03-2011, 10:27 PM
It seems like it would be too time consuming to run your license at the checkpoint if a lot of people are trying to enter the festival at the same time.

choice cat
04-03-2011, 10:34 PM
I wouldn't stress on it

Radiohead
04-03-2011, 11:08 PM
They won't be checking ID, just wristbands. You don't need an ID to get into the festival.

Caifan
04-03-2011, 11:39 PM
bla bla bla bla bla bla bla

GeminiDC
04-04-2011, 08:47 AM
Just a thought- with no volunteers this year perhaps the whole car searching thing will be different. Maybe they will do random full searches with police and let other people through with a cursory glance in the trunk and into the car.

Stickjohn
04-04-2011, 08:53 AM
Maybe they will hire a bunch of Marines again.

CoachellaRides
04-04-2011, 09:05 AM

This is the first I have heard of this.... Where did you hear the local police would be checking "outside" the police perimeter? The streets outside the perimeter are city streets and not illegal to be on if you have a valid licence.

M.Romo
04-04-2011, 09:16 AM

I doubt they will be check DL's because thaqt will be a veryyyyy long wait.

PlayaDelWes
04-04-2011, 09:17 AM
This is Indio, CA - NOT Indio, AZ

Robin
04-04-2011, 09:33 AM
Just a thought- with no volunteers this year perhaps the whole car searching thing will be different. Maybe they will do random full searches with police and let other people through with a cursory glance in the trunk and into the car.

It'll be like we're going over the border.

Inthecolumbiagorge
04-04-2011, 09:44 AM
This is Indio, CA - NOT Indio, AZ

Thank all the festival gods for this!

dcbell05
04-04-2011, 09:57 AM
This is the first I have heard of this.... Where did you hear the local police would be checking "outside" the police perimeter? The streets outside the perimeter are city streets and not illegal to be on if you have a valid licence.

1) Um, where have you been? The Coachella site includes the info: http://coachella.com/tickets

The same description listed here was also in the ticket packages mailed out. Anyone without a festival pass will not be able to drive within a 1- 1/4 mile radius UNLESS they have a valid resident decal for their car. There was information on this on another thread.

2) The whole point is he won't have a valid license. I doubt they will be checking licenses, but if possible, I would find someone else to drive for at least that time. Wouldn't be worth it to get in serious trouble and not be able to attend.

CoachellaRides
04-04-2011, 10:00 AM
Thank all the festival gods for this!

That's the part that bothers me!!! ;)

koryp
04-04-2011, 10:06 AM
The whole point of sticking your arms out of the window is for the cop to efficiently see that everybody in the vehicle has a wristband without having to stop them and make small talk with the driver. Checking for ID makes this process completely moot. The FAQs don't say anything about having your license out for the checkpoint. They should say something if that was the case, to help avoid the the time it will take to fumble around in your car.

I love how this assumes we'll be traveling down Jefferson so fast that stopping at a checkpoint will require effort. Think more like walking pace at best. I imagine it'll be pretty awkward sitting in front on the checkpoint waiting for just one car length of movement while everyone tries to "just hold it together man".

Stickjohn
04-04-2011, 10:14 AM
wonder what the traffic plan is for getting into will call

BROKENDOLL
04-04-2011, 10:45 AM
wonder what the traffic plan is for getting into will call
I do believe I saw something on the front page with a mapping of the tennis gardens and where you're supposed to go for each part of your will call order.

Stickjohn
04-04-2011, 10:48 AM
I do believe I saw something on the front page with a mapping of the tennis gardens and where you're supposed to go for each part of your will call order.

explain please. link?

Inthecolumbiagorge
04-04-2011, 11:04 AM
explain please. link?

http://coachella.com/tickets/boxoffice

Inthecolumbiagorge
04-04-2011, 11:06 AM

There is no way police will be checking peoples drivers licenses at wristband checkpoints. Seriously...75,000,000 people!!! Won't happen and I would not even worry about it.

Stickjohn
04-04-2011, 11:07 AM
Thanks but I was looking for something addressing the part of her post that I highlighted. The "each part of your will call order" sounds a little spooky.

dcbell05
04-04-2011, 11:19 AM
There is no way police will be checking peoples drivers licenses at wristband checkpoints. Seriously...75,000,000 people!!! Won't happen and I would not even worry about it.

God, I really hope there aren't 75 million people. 25% of the US population in one city would be kind of crowded. ;)

Inthecolumbiagorge
04-04-2011, 12:25 PM
God, I really hope there aren't 75 million people. 25% of the US population in one city would be kind of crowded. ;)

Oh bother...lets try 75,000! Sorry:-)

eskamo951
04-04-2011, 06:53 PM
Maybe they will hire a bunch of Marines again.

They'll finish off the work put in by the marine last year who nearly ripped out my center console. Never liked that thing anyways, being the perfect location for an arm rest and all.

frizzlefry
04-04-2011, 09:11 PM
I think I'd prefer the polite and naive junior marine that searched my shit last year to a gruff and pissed off cop.