PDA

View Full Version : Looks Like Moz Is Probably Out...

fac429
03-10-2007, 08:24 PM
According to true-to-you.net, Morrissey is playing Hollywood Bowl in June. So another possible Coachella add lost to the damn Hollywood Bowl...

I didn't think Morrissey was very likely to be added anyway, but still... would've been nice...

suprefan
03-10-2007, 09:28 PM
Well that doesnt really count against him if he is playing the Bowl in June, but we still dont know all the dates.

fac429
03-10-2007, 11:17 PM
Well that doesnt really count against him if he is playing the Bowl in June, but we still dont know all the dates.

Maybe, maybe not. My understanding is that Coachella doesn't like bigger performers to announce or play L.A. shows before Coachella- and Morrissey has done both now (if you count the February shows, and I think they're close enough that you probably should). Then again, if Moz plays on Saturday or Sunday, I suppose this shouldn't matter because those days are already sold out, and Goldenvoice would have no concern about the June 8 show pulling Moz fans away from Coachella...

Still, I'd be (pleasantly) surprised if he was added.

AEversW
03-10-2007, 11:36 PM
Maybe, maybe not. My understanding is that Coachella doesn't like bigger performers to announce or play L.A. shows before Coachella- and Morrissey has done both now (if you count the February shows, and I think they're close enough that you probably should). Then again, if Moz plays on Saturday or Sunday, I suppose this shouldn't matter because those days are already sold out, and Goldenvoice would have no concern about the June 8 show pulling Moz fans away from Coachella...

Still, I'd be (pleasantly) surprised if he was added.

it woudln't apply for morrissey though. He would play LA for a whole week of free shows and still sale out a day at Coachella. His hardcore fans are nuts.

fac429
03-11-2007, 01:10 AM
it woudln't apply for morrissey though. He would play LA for a whole week of free shows and still sale out a day at Coachella. His hardcore fans are nuts.

I disagree. Look at Depeche Mode. Their fans are at LEAST as numerous as Moz's fans, and just as devoted, and after DM played shows in December they could not sell out their date at Coachella.

suprefan
03-11-2007, 01:29 AM
I disagree. Look at Depeche Mode. Their fans are at LEAST as numerous as Moz's fans, and just as devoted, and after DM played shows in December they could not sell out their date at Coachella.

Their Coachella date did sell out you know... And big wow Moz played 3 nights in L.A. in Feb. he can still get booked to play. So when the Pixies played the night before Coachella at the Glasshouse that wasnt technically "illegal" for them? Wait a sec, GV allowed it. Dont think its over yet with Moz until his full schedule is released... DM had a lot of tour dates revolving around Coachella and it made it look less attractive to see them theire since you couldve seen DM play Vegas in a vennue that held 7,000 as opposed to 60k. And their SF date was ata big outdoor venue so a lot of people went to that. Moz is doing some small to medium sized theaters(it looks like other than the big venues announced) and Coachella would be a nice break from it. And GV and Moz have a history so..........

fac429
03-11-2007, 01:53 AM
Moz is doing some small to medium sized theaters(it looks like other than the big venues announced) and Coachella would be a nice break from it. And GV and Moz have a history so..........

The Hollywood Bowl is not a small theatre.

Alchemy
03-11-2007, 08:38 AM
The reason people don't play LA and then Coachella is because people might rather see them at Coachella than their own tour or concert. However, seeing that Coachella is already sold out, it would be okay for Morrissey to be added. Moz fans will be dissapointed that he is playing Coachella, which is already sold out, but then they can still buy tickets for his concert in June. So the L.A. Rule doesn't really apply when the date is after a sold out Coachella. Plus, Goldenvoice would have reason to add Morrissey to Saturday or Sunday (hopefully Saturday). It would not sell out this Coachella, of course, it's already done. But it makes Coachella look more appealing in the years to come because of its tendency to surprise concert-goers with surprise acts. So it could put its name out in papers and blogs like, "Morrissey shockingly added to Coachella!" and more people know about Coachella, and more people will want to go next year.

But I dunno' if Morrissey will go though. He's just a tease. I think I'd rather like Badly Drawn Boy or Mew added.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
03-12-2007, 06:59 AM
I don't think Coachella has a rule about it.

Alchemy
03-12-2007, 09:51 AM
I don't think Coachella has a rule about it.

It's not a Coachella rule. It's a good business rule. The band or artist will make more money playing a sold out LA date, then a sold out Coachella date. Since Coachella is in the area, it doesn't make much sense for them to do a Coachella and LA date.

But if they are Morrissey, then he can do both. Because he can play Coachella, which is already sold out so nobody else can really buy tickets for it. He won't benefit from Coachella much except for putting his name out just a little bit more. And he can play LA after Coachella and still get tons of people, and maybe even sell out, because his fans were not able to go to Coachella.

But I am starting to doubt that Morrissey will even go.

suprefan
03-12-2007, 10:02 AM
The Hollywood Bowl is not a small theatre.

DO YOU KNOW HOW TO READ AN ENTIRE POST? I pointed out the large venues being played. Get some glasses