PDA

View Full Version : Most Overrated Band at Coachella

luckyface
03-10-2007, 01:26 AM
Ok, there are a bunch of bands playing that people here cream themselves over whenever they get mentioned. Who is the most undeserving of this adulation from the people here?

My vote goes to Manu Chao. UGH!

André
03-10-2007, 01:38 AM
RAGE

Kiefer
03-10-2007, 04:11 AM
arcade fire

Tylerdurden31
03-10-2007, 05:46 AM
Arctic Monkeys...

Rochec
03-10-2007, 07:23 AM
Red

Hot

Chili

Peppers

amyzzz
03-10-2007, 07:31 AM
Arcade Fire, hands down.

Trailmix
03-10-2007, 07:31 AM
Rage

woogie846
03-10-2007, 08:08 AM
RHCP

menikmati
03-10-2007, 08:14 AM
Arctic Monkeys

blastyourears
03-10-2007, 08:14 AM
rage of course.. but besides them... Arctic monkeys and Nickel Creek haha

daftmonkey64
03-10-2007, 08:26 AM
mark another one for arcade fire

see that song they do on the coachella dvd?

does the singer have down syndrome?

John Peel is My Co-pilot
03-10-2007, 08:32 AM
Red Hot Chilli Peppers. C'mon Kiedis, admit it, you're just going through the motions now, aren't you?

lowfront
03-10-2007, 08:33 AM
mark another one for arcade fire

see that song they do on the coachella dvd?

does the singer have down syndrome?

See how good of a time the crowd is having? Arcade fire is going to be one of the best performances this year period.

RADIOFACE
03-10-2007, 08:35 AM
Ok, there are a bunch of bands playing that people here cream themselves over whenever they get mentioned. Who is the most undeserving of this adulation from the people here?

My vote goes to Manu Chao. UGH!

obviously you have never seen him live

ratmfan105
03-10-2007, 08:45 AM
damn you guys are retards thinking that rage is overrated do me a favor and pull your head out of your ass

Deathtoourfriends
03-10-2007, 08:45 AM

rigth, Manu Chao se ha ganado este lugar en Coachella, aunque realmente no lo necesita... pero va a ser difícil que los anglos entiendan la riqueza de su música.

John Peel is My Co-pilot
03-10-2007, 09:02 AM
damn you guys are retards thinking that rage is overrated do me a favor and pull your head out of your ass

Wow, I wasn't expecting that reaction...

AEversW
03-10-2007, 09:06 AM
hrmmm im gonna go with Interpol. I love their music but how in the world are they billed as the sub headliner?

cchap6
03-10-2007, 09:10 AM
Arcade Fire

idrive1life
03-10-2007, 09:12 AM
hahah

an overrated thread gets a *

daft$tar
03-10-2007, 09:16 AM
arcade fire

Alejo
03-10-2007, 09:16 AM
Well for me, Interpol, Arctitc Monkeys and of course Tiesto. And Julieta Venegas in Mexico, but I guess nobody cares about her here in the US.
RHCP are overplayed and overrated too.

NeverMyopic
03-10-2007, 09:23 AM
I think it's a tie between Arctic Monkeys and Arcade Fire.

Also, I really like both bands a lot (have all their music), but I still think they are hyped up way too much.

bitchplease
03-10-2007, 09:30 AM
Rage and RHCP!!!!!!!!

SubBass49
03-10-2007, 09:33 AM
Arctic Monkeys...

A whole shitload of hype about a band that (when I listened to some of their stuff) doesn't sound very special. What exactly IS their draw anyway? Any fans out there care to tell me why you like them? Or is it because you were told by some media outlet or magazine that they were the new hot band and that you HAD to like them?

Rochec
03-10-2007, 09:56 AM
I can see why people say Arcade Fire, but I don't think you can say they are overrated. They are a specific brand of music that you either like or don't like. They aren't hyped as some huge band, they are an indie band. Now you could say the Arctic Monkeys are overrated for sure, they are billed as the next big thing. Yet they don't play next big thing music, I personally think they are good, but think they are over hyped.

Anywho that's my worthless two cents.

It's definitely the RHCP

roberto73
03-10-2007, 09:57 AM
RATM. I like 'em, but I've never understood the idolatry.

As for Arctic Monkeys, when I listen to them I hear a British Pavement: ramshackle and melodic, with the feeling it could all fall apart in a split second. I know some Pavement fans will consider this heresy, but notice that I'm not saying Arctic Monkeys are as good as Pavement; I'm just amused by the similarities, and that's one of the reasons why I like them.

rage patton
03-10-2007, 10:09 AM
Manu Chao? How can you say Manu Chao? He is nowhere near overrated.

Anyways, Arctic Monkeys by far!
Honorable Mention: Tokyo Police Club
There are a few others I would like to mention, but I have a feeling I would be murdered by specific individuals for saying them.
My top vote still goes to Arctic Monkeys though.

ri0tp00f
03-10-2007, 10:10 AM
arctic monkeys
interpol
tiesto
paul van dyk

dualmoodswings
03-10-2007, 10:23 AM
a LOT of bands are higly overrated... Arctic Monkeys, ARCADE FIRE... jesus they're a good band but that's it and i hope the frontman stop trying to emulate Bowie's voice, Tiesto, Julieta Venegas her music is so fucking lame, Paul Van Dyke.. nuff with this guy.

Manu Chao overrated? absolutely NOT, he's going to be the fresh air in coachella.

JoeW88
03-10-2007, 10:53 AM
Someone asked what the draw was with Arctic Monkeys.. and although I agree they have been over-hyped to some extent over here, I think it will be worse for Americans. Their music is very British and appeals to the 16-24 yr old demographic who enjoy going out round the town and getting pissed (myself being a part of that). I just dont think the fact that AM's lyrics are about very ordinary British things would appeal as much over in the USA. But obviously that is just my opinion :)

apachedino
03-10-2007, 12:10 PM
Arctic Monkeys and Tiesto. Both are Waaay overrated. Niether make bad music, but it really isn't that special or as groundbreaking as people claim.

grungysabbathemohater
03-10-2007, 12:32 PM
Arcade Fire and Arctic Monkeys

luckyface
03-10-2007, 12:33 PM

After listening to his music, I really have no desire to, either.

Mo'rage
03-10-2007, 12:34 PM
No air huh? I checked out a couple youtube's of them and thought it was pretty bad..

luckyface
03-10-2007, 12:38 PM
Manu Chao? How can you say Manu Chao? He is nowhere near overrated.

I think in terms of the mainstream and general knowledge, you are correct.

In terms of this board, then I would say he is way overrated.

I'm Rosetta Stoned
03-10-2007, 12:43 PM
I dont understand why you would say Rage is overrated but whatever. I would have to say AIR and RHCP... Why does everyone hate Tiesto so much. I'm really looking foreword to seeing him. Am I going to be dissapointed?

Down Rodeo
03-10-2007, 12:44 PM
Arcade Fire

brycerosen
03-10-2007, 01:18 PM
everyone on this board is retarded

JiveTurkey
03-10-2007, 01:31 PM
I'm going to say RHCP aren't overrated in their defense, but Stadium Arcadium is.
BloodSugarSexMagik rocks the shit, though.

SubBass49
03-10-2007, 01:31 PM
Thanks...now you're one of us...lol

kroqken
04-12-2007, 06:55 PM
Definely Rage, all of their songs sound the same. Very monotonous.

Pixiessp
04-12-2007, 07:13 PM
I really don't care for Arcade Fire.
I've listened and I've listened and then...........
I've listened again. Still don't see the appeal and they are overhyped by the media.

Boourns
04-12-2007, 07:16 PM
Manu Chao

theaenimatool
04-12-2007, 07:26 PM
I think it's a tie between Arctic Monkeys and Arcade Fire.

Also, I really like both bands a lot (have all their music), but I still think they are hyped up way too much.

i dont care for the arctic monkeys but i love the arcade fire, who are a must see for me on sat after seeing them 2 years ago (they were fucking great) although i do think that people make them seem much better than they are. they are a fantastic band, live and on record, but their not legends.

fluxequalsrad
04-12-2007, 07:40 PM
Rat M

i_like_cake530
04-12-2007, 08:13 PM

i love rage, but i hate those rage fans who only care about rage, and think that anyone who says otherwise sucks...

hybernaut520
04-12-2007, 08:37 PM
I saw interpol in my hometown and I only went to see blonde redhead (they opened) I used a connect to get in to the show for free by helping load in and tear down the sound system. that being said I feel like interpol was a rip off even as a freebee. The duche bag guitar player was throwing a tantrum because he coulden't tune his own instrument and his tech musta fucked it up. by the fourth of fifth song they sounded so shitty and I could feel the tension coming from this jagoff. As he stormed offstage in a cliche, eyeliner-clad, messy hair, enbarrassing display of teen angst, he threw his water bottle and almost struck a young fan who was rushing to greet her rock and roll mentor. So if anyone out there is a die-hard interpol fan, sorry to dis, but that band can lick my balls.

rage patton
04-12-2007, 08:39 PM
Jarvis Cocker

MonsoonSeason
04-12-2007, 08:39 PM
artic monkeys are not very good at all, but rhcp are so shitty to be headlining

stadium arcadium is so much awfuls

R3d Snapper
04-12-2007, 09:15 PM
interpol

MonsoonSeason
04-12-2007, 09:17 PM
let's get in a fight r3d snapper

"i am a fan of interpol and i think you are wrong about your own opinion"

Boourns
04-12-2007, 09:35 PM
Jarvis Cocker

Typical Rage fan.

rage patton
04-12-2007, 09:46 PM
Typical Rage fan.

Haha actually I dont think Jarvis Cocker is overrated at all. I personaly don't find his music interesting, but I dont think he is overrated.
I actually just wanted to see what your respose would be. :) Oh. And I was bitter because I saw this...

Manu Chao

The only act that I think is overrated is the Arctic Monkeys. Don't enjoy them one little bit. Oh, I also dont really dig Air. They are overrated in this forrum, but I cant actually call them overrated outside of here.

corbo
04-12-2007, 09:53 PM
THE ARCADE FIRE

R3d Snapper
04-12-2007, 09:56 PM
let's get in a fight r3d snapper

"i am a fan of interpol and i think you are wrong about your own opinion"

sounds lovely

boarderwoozel3
04-12-2007, 10:00 PM
The Arcade Fire, I just don't see what all the fuss is about.

Barbara, the ninja
04-12-2007, 10:01 PM
Bjork!!!

SojuGorae
04-12-2007, 10:05 PM
Arctic Monkeys

MonsoonSeason
04-12-2007, 10:09 PM
Arctic Monkeys

good man

braxtron
04-12-2007, 10:22 PM
RHCP can't be an option. Everybody on this board thinks it makes them cool to let everyone know how much they hate new Chili Peppers. No one is creaming themselves over RHCP. The Chili Peppers do freakin' rock.

SojuGorae
04-12-2007, 10:48 PM
RHCP can't be an option. Everybody on this board thinks it makes them cool to let everyone know how much they hate new Chili Peppers. No one is creaming themselves over RHCP. The Chili Peppers do freakin' rock.

Right on

Xrawrthatboy
04-12-2007, 11:27 PM
i just dont like the idea of RHCP playing coachella. im not saying it's because they suck or because they're overrated, but because it brings around the KROQ crowds that were meant more for weenie roast and such events. im just gonna be annoyed if i hear of someone wasting a good ticket to sit around all day to wait for RHCP to play when the day has so much more to offer. if this makes me sound like the stereotypical indie snob, i dont care. i never thought putting them on the bill was a good idea.

i would say the same for rage, but coachella seems to be the place for reunions.. so why not?

psycobetabuckdown
04-13-2007, 12:14 AM

Um, same thing with Rage, right? And Tool last year? Goddamn, people act like they're not "Coachella" enough to be there. Who headlined the first one again?

Listen, indie elitists. You are not "special" or "cool" for hating the headlining act. You simply spread negative energy. And you'll probably say, "Negative energy? What about the Rage fans that are only on the message board to talk about Rage?" Well if you want the other great music at Coachella to reach more people, which you should as a music fan, don't exile Rage fans by hating. Most of the Rage fans on here would be willing to open up to more music, but being snobby isn't going to impress anyone but yourselves and certainly not going to stop mainstream music fans from liking their favorite bands.

Plus, seriously. Most indie music sucks. The small percentage that is good may headline Coachella. But let's not pretend that all indie music is better than all mainstream music.

Back on topic, I'll agree with the countless who voted Arctic Monkeys as most overrated. They're little better than dozens of other indie rock acts that haven't come close to subheadlining Coachella, yet for some reason they have a huge following. I really want an AM fan to explain the appeal. For the record, I like them. But not that much.

Arcade Fire is overrated within the context of this board, for sure. I have heard nothing good or bad about RHCP really on this board, but I also don't read daily. Most of the undeserved worship that I have come across has been for Arcade Fire, and yes, some give Rage more credit than human beings deserve.

Having heard just a little of Of Montreal, I'd say they are overrated, but perhaps their live show is ingenious.