PDA

View Full Version : Would like some advice on a new set up for this year

fredbull
03-26-2011, 06:29 PM
The past two years i have camped, i have done so in a tent...
This year i'm getting rid of the tent, and me and my group are just going to build a lean-to.
My main concern is that some people in my group want to use canvas, but i think that will get really hot as well.
I want to opt for something like shade cloth but they don't want to spend the money...
I would just like to know your thoughts..

Inthecolumbiagorge
03-26-2011, 07:53 PM
The past two years i have camped, i have done so in a tent...
This year i'm getting rid of the tent, and me and my group are just going to build a lean-to.
My main concern is that some people in my group want to use canvas, but i think that will get really hot as well.
I want to opt for something like shade cloth but they don't want to spend the money...
I would just like to know your thoughts..

Something that blocks the sun but not the wind is best so shade cloth is probably optimal but it really depends on how enclosed you build it.With just one "wall" canvas, with that one wall towards the sun and also as a roof above, you should be fine but if you made any more walls of it it might be stuffy. We just used tapestries last year for the walls of our shelter and you have to move them with the sun, but a sheets would work just as well. At night if you wanted some privacy you could use sheets for 4 walls and it is cheap:-)

TheClares
03-26-2011, 08:01 PM
This is the product you want...

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&productId=100656893&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=100656893&cm_mmc=shopping-_-googlebase-_-D28X-_-100656893&locStoreNum=477

fredbull
03-26-2011, 08:13 PM
Something that blocks the sun but not the wind is best so shade cloth is probably optimal but it really depends on how enclosed you build it.With just one "wall" canvas, with that one wall towards the sun and also as a roof above, you should be fine but if you made any more walls of it it might be stuffy. We just used tapestries last year for the walls of our shelter and you have to move them with the sun, but a sheets would work just as well. At night if you wanted some privacy you could use sheets for 4 walls and it is cheap:-)

Hmmm sheets is a really good idea, im going to look into those too thank you!

This is the product you want...

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&productId=100656893&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=100656893&cm_mmc=shopping-_-googlebase-_-D28X-_-100656893&locStoreNum=477

Yeah that is exactly what i was looking at.
Does anyone have any experience with that shade cloth?

Inthecolumbiagorge
03-26-2011, 08:27 PM
It is great stuff, but if you have no tent, it really does not block the light much so if you are sleeping under this structure you may want a heavier product above you so you are not right in the bright light as soon as the sun comes up? A tarp works good for the roof part and then the shade cloth on the side would probably work the best just for ventilation. Again if you are going to have any privacy to change in or anything like that you will want the option of 4 walls and you would need probably 3 rolls of the shade cloth to accomplish that but again it is sort of see through so you might think about that. Good luck:-)

fredbull
03-26-2011, 08:44 PM
yeah we'll probably use shade cloth just for the sides, and maybe some sheets when we need some privacy
Thanks for the suggestions!

TheClares
03-26-2011, 10:44 PM
We slept in a tent, under an EZ-UP, which I wrapped with two rolls of this shade cloth. worked great, but I agree, it will only block so much light. I bought two more rolls for a shade structure for our group though.

gaypalmsprings
03-27-2011, 06:19 AM
It can get very windy. I'd suggest a tent.

Jankypirate
03-27-2011, 06:37 AM
best of all: bring the tent just in case it does get windy like last year.

That shade cloth is excellent. I used it last year as well.