PDA

View Full Version : Camping without a Canopy... help?

jackmilligan
03-26-2011, 02:12 AM
We're flying across the country and needless to say a canopy is a little more than we're able to carry on a plane. Is it going to be miserable without one? If so, do you have any recommendations?

Dustin da DnB Soulja
03-26-2011, 02:21 AM
We're flying across the country and needless to say a canopy is a little more than we're able to carry on a plane. Is it going to be miserable without one? If so, do you have any recommendations?

No matter what it will be hot. If we have 90-100 degree heat, it will be pretty much unbareble. I suggest going to Walmart and buying a 9x9 canopy for $50 or they have a Ozark Trail Open Dome netted canopy that's 13x9 for $40. And just return it after the festival.

Radiohead
03-26-2011, 02:21 AM
It's definitely worth having some sort of shade if you're going to camp. It's likely that people camping near/next to you will have a canopy, and most are happy to share their shade, so it's not the end of the world if you don't bring something.

Jankypirate
03-26-2011, 10:13 AM
bring a tarp and some string as a backup at least. Youll probably be able to find stuff to attach it to by you, like other peoples shade canopies.

More importantly make sure your tent has a ton of ventilation!

natureboy
03-26-2011, 03:58 PM
You can buy one at the K-Mart or whatever that department store is near the festival.

jackmilligan
03-26-2011, 04:28 PM
Let's say I'm on a serious budget. Should I skip the tent and just get a canopy?

Jankypirate
03-26-2011, 04:50 PM
yes

Dustin da DnB Soulja
03-26-2011, 04:57 PM
Let's say I'm on a serious budget. Should I skip the tent and just get a canopy?

The tent only offers coverage for changing, but you can change under your sleeping bag or sheets or the shower. Canopy > Tent. Tent's get REALLY hot and offer no shade. Canopy will help keep you cool and offer shade.

If you are on a serious budget, buy the canopy at a walmart on a way, and just return it, Walmart's should have a 9x9 slant leg canopy for $50 or they have these at select Walmarts like one buy my house

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-13-x-9-Screen-House/8571751

Stickjohn
03-26-2011, 10:15 PM
pm'd you (jack - not DdDS)

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41ytey1lfrL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

_John
03-27-2011, 12:16 PM
I'm from Michigan and I would just sit in my rental car and run the air conditioner. Also went inside the festival and sat inside the air-conditioned tents.

thewoodenman
03-27-2011, 12:23 PM
i still needa get my canopy. lookin at this right now, reppin the kinda dirty south:

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/largeImage/index.jsp?ab=Product_PageElement_MainProductImage&LargeImageURL=http%3A//DSP.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pDSP1-7609891dt.jpg
http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4131200

it's cheap, whattaya gona do

commanderEO
03-27-2011, 01:38 PM
we had a canopy last year and all our neighbors came to our site to get some shade. so yes, i would definitely spend the extra $$ and put a canopy over your tent, its worth it

thegreatsharkhunt
03-27-2011, 01:57 PM
In terms of camping gear, a shade tent is one of, if not the, most important things you can bring to a festival. At the least, I'd recommend bringing sheets or a tarp and some string to tie it up (to cars and other peoples tent poles) to create a shaded area. And, if you want to lighten the load or save some money on gear, you can always bring just a shade tent and skip the actual tent - which you'll only use to sleep in and change, both of which you can do with a shade tent alone.

shoegazer76
03-27-2011, 02:47 PM
There are some very useful threads already on this subject.

spewshemano
03-27-2011, 03:00 PM
There are some very useful threads already on this subject.

Including this one.
You were a little too late on that remark.

shoegazer76
03-27-2011, 03:29 PM
Not too late when this thread has no useful information other than common fuckin sense.

shoegazer76
03-27-2011, 03:33 PM
http://www.coachella.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29251&page=3&highlight=shade+canopy
Here's a great place to start.

jackmilligan
03-27-2011, 03:47 PM
Well, that didn't answer my question at all but the responses to this thread did! So thanks everyone who actually answered my question instead of trying to make me feel stupid for asking it.

shoegazer76
03-27-2011, 04:03 PM
I wasn't trying to make anyone look stupid. Your doing a great job of that on your own.

Death
03-27-2011, 05:05 PM
I wasn't trying to make anyone look stupid. Your doing a great job of that on your own.

Shut up dickhead.

Coach Bombay
03-27-2011, 05:09 PM

You're*

bobchella
03-27-2011, 06:24 PM
http://www.pollsb.com/photos/o/22249-spelling_and_or_grammar_nazi.jpg

Coach Bombay
03-27-2011, 07:10 PM
Hey man, he was calling someone else stupid. His insult should be FLAWLESS.

BROKENDOLL
03-27-2011, 08:11 PM
Well, that didn't answer my question at all but the responses to this thread did! So thanks everyone who actually answered my question instead of trying to make me feel stupid for asking it.
Oh, ignore Mr. Pre-Coachella Cranky-Pants, Jack. We may be able to help you make a decision on a canopy. We've camped the last 2 years, and while the tent provides privacy, it does get warm and stuffy from about 8am and on through the day. By then, you just want shade because you can get a mild breeze across the fields with a canopy. It would be nice to have both, and it amazes me how much preparation goes into Coachella for people who must travel.

Hell, we live about a mile from the festival and have camped the last 2 years, and somewhere between our condo and and the campground last year, I managed to lose the rainfly part of our tent. Luckily we had a canopy, as lame as it was made, that got us through the weekend, and a sheet that we tossed over the top of the tent. Other than that, it's in good shape, used twice, and I'm pretty sure measures 10x10.

Now, since I happened to get some pre-Coachella bug up my ass to find a teepee to camp in this year, I ended up scoring one, we just so happen to have a tent you can use to go with your new canopy if you should decide to get one. Then you'd have both for the weekend! As long as you treat it with respect and promise not to laugh at the little cum-drop looking glow in the dark splatters all over it, you're welcome to use it and then return it after the weekend.
Let me know if that would work for you. :)

narek23
03-28-2011, 12:48 PM
Thanks for reminding us what coachella is all about Brokendoll. To the other guy who isnt worth remembering, you're a fucking douchebag

irenex
03-29-2011, 02:05 PM
We forgot our ez-up last year, but what we did was take a bed sheet we had brought (it was king size) and set it up by attaching one end of it to our car door and the other to the top of our tent... It was pretty legit lol given what we had to work with... And provided a cozy little nook of shade... And a big flat sheet should be easy to pack up in a suitcase :) someone else posted this, but I wouldn't worry too much if you can't work something out... Most peeps are happy to share shade!

jahchella
03-29-2011, 02:16 PM
Big Lots, down the street has some, get one before they run out!

Inthecolumbiagorge
03-29-2011, 06:56 PM
Oh, ignore Mr. Pre-Coachella Cranky-Pants, Jack. We may be able to help you make a decision on a canopy. We've camped the last 2 years, and while the tent provides privacy, it does get warm and stuffy from about 8am and on through the day. By then, you just want shade because you can get a mild breeze across the fields with a canopy. It would be nice to have both, and it amazes me how much preparation goes into Coachella for people who must travel.

Hell, we live about a mile from the festival and have camped the last 2 years, and somewhere between our condo and and the campground last year, I managed to lose the rainfly part of our tent. Luckily we had a canopy, as lame as it was made, that got us through the weekend, and a sheet that we tossed over the top of the tent. Other than that, it's in good shape, used twice, and I'm pretty sure measures 10x10.

Now, since I happened to get some pre-Coachella bug up my ass to find a teepee to camp in this year, I ended up scoring one, we just so happen to have a tent you can use to go with your new canopy if you should decide to get one. Then you'd have both for the weekend! As long as you treat it with respect and promise not to laugh at the little cum-drop looking glow in the dark splatters all over it, you're welcome to use it and then return it after the weekend.
Let me know if that would work for you. :)

NICE:-)