PDA

View Full Version : Thawing your frozen food.....

fredbull
03-23-2011, 11:41 AM
So i have been looking into freezing some food for cooking at coachella this year. I started looking into some different methods of thawing said food, since i don't really ever freeze anything at home, and came across this site (http://www.foodsubs.com/Defrost.html)
It pretty much says that just leaving the food out is a terrible idea, and gives some suggestions on how to properly thaw frozen food. None of those seem feasible for the campgrounds.
How do you guys, who take frozen food, thaw it out?

JustSteve
03-23-2011, 11:45 AM
been eating food left out to thaw before cooking for over 30 years and have been just fine, guessing most everyone else has, too. don't worry about it.

edit: and wtf???
"Cold water thawing tip: The more water you use and the more that water circulates, the faster your food will thaw. If you often thaw food with cold water, think about buying a submersible aquarium pump to keep the water in the sink moving around the food. Another thawing trick for small items it to put them in the washing machine, fill it with cold water, and use the delicate setting to agitate the water as the food thaws. Don’t let the washer go into the spin cycle—on most washer models, you can disable this cycle by keeping the lid open."

yes, i am going to buy a fricken' aquarium pump to place in my kitchen sink!

and a washing machine? jesus.

captncrzy
03-23-2011, 11:46 AM
Bucket of cold water.

Caifan
03-23-2011, 11:47 AM
at 90 to 100 you won't have a problem

Dustin da DnB Soulja
03-23-2011, 11:48 AM
2 Coolers, 1 Coleman Xtreme cold, and 1 other cooler.

Only open the xtreme cold once a day and pull out your foods, put it in other cooler with cold items like beer, and by dinner it's thawed out and it helps to keep beer and other drinks cold.

fredbull
03-23-2011, 11:50 AM
been eating food left out to thaw before cooking for over 30 years and have been just fine, guessing most everyone else has, too. don't worry about it.

"Cold water thawing tip: The more water you use and the more that water circulates, the faster your food will thaw. If you often thaw food with cold water, think about buying a submersible aquarium pump to keep the water in the sink moving around the food. Another thawing trick for small items it to put them in the washing machine, fill it with cold water, and use the delicate setting to agitate the water as the food thaws. Don’t let the washer go into the spin cycle—on most washer models, you can disable this cycle by keeping the lid open."

yeah that's what i thought, i just wanted to make sure jajaja

and yeah when i read those i was like wtf?! who does that?

fredbull
03-23-2011, 11:52 AM
2 Coolers, 1 Coleman Xtreme cold, and 1 other cooler.

Only open the xtreme cold once a day and pull out your foods, put it in other cooler with cold items like beer, and by dinner it's thawed out and it helps to keep beer and other drinks cold.

yeah i thought about this, but the way things are going i don't think i am going to have much time to come back to my spot and cook at any point after the fest starts..... most of my cooking will be around 11 am, so the thawing would have to be quicker, i guess that would be fine though for eating at night after the fest

Dustin da DnB Soulja
03-23-2011, 12:00 PM
yeah i thought about this, but the way things are going i don't think i am going to have much time to come back to my spot and cook at any point after the fest starts..... most of my cooking will be around 11 am, so the thawing would have to be quicker, i guess that would be fine though for eating at night after the fest

depends what you plan on eating in the morning.

M Sparks
03-23-2011, 12:04 PM

So do the same thing, but before you go to bed.

Inthecolumbiagorge
03-23-2011, 12:24 PM

Well if you don't want to buy an aquarium pump and you don't mind water going down the sink you put your frozen item into a container (bowl or something) inside the sink and turn the cold water on the item but just a small flow. Obviously the container will fill with water and overflow into the sink. It keeps the water circulating and your frozen item thaws much faster. We use this method for frozen shrimp or any other frozen smaller items.

I think we will need to start a Coachella cooking program:-)