PDA

View Full Version : Why is everyone in love with Arcade Fire?

HEADSTRUCK
03-09-2007, 11:39 AM
i dont get it

hangthedj112
03-09-2007, 11:41 AM
I hate these thread, "oh why doews everyone adore _____, theyr'e so ove-rated. They bore me." Not everyone one is going to love every band, that's the great thing about music, it's subjective!

elChurro
03-09-2007, 11:44 AM
I wouldn't say love, but they are pretty good. Neon Bible has grown on me.

HEADSTRUCK
03-09-2007, 11:44 AM
its not the fact that they are not good its just seems everyone on this board would take it in the ass from them...

HEADSTRUCK
03-09-2007, 11:45 AM
every thread i open i read about them.....even if its a rage thread or anything else someone praises them

Kiefer
03-09-2007, 11:47 AM
dude, i started a thread exactly like this right around when the lineup went up. old news.

HEADSTRUCK
03-09-2007, 11:49 AM
well what was the reason then? or did everyone just say how great they are?

malcolmjamalawesome
03-09-2007, 11:49 AM
They ask how my day was.

ThomThom
03-09-2007, 11:53 AM
i dont get it

Why don't you just leave it at that and keep sucking the bands off that you like, maybe people just really like them for their own personal reasons, which means there is no particular reason why you should "get it". Somebody close this dumbass thread.

ThomThom
03-09-2007, 11:54 AM
They ask how my day was.

HE'S ALIVE!

HEADSTRUCK
03-09-2007, 12:02 PM
Why don't you just leave it at that and keep sucking the bands off that you like, maybe people just really like them for their own personal reasons, which means there is no particular reason why you should "get it". Somebody close this dumbass thread.

maybe thats why i was asking u fucking moron....i like to indulge in bands that i dont get onto as much 2 get turned on to them...i hope all the people at coachella are not as stupid as frequent this board...

HEADSTRUCK
03-09-2007, 12:09 PM
listen to funeral, track 2

thats why i like em

thank u....i will check it out

I'm Rosetta Stoned
03-09-2007, 12:22 PM
maybe thats why i was asking u fucking moron....i like to indulge in bands that i dont get onto as much 2 get turned on to them...i hope all the people at coachella are not as stupid as frequent this board...

I aggree. I asked why people like the smiths so much all but like three said how stupid and moronic I was. Coachella is full of arrogant Assholes. I kindda like Arcade Fire because they're different and sound cool when your high as shit....

malcolmjamalawesome
03-09-2007, 12:29 PM
Somebody says "ThomThom is Dead"

rkawar
03-09-2007, 12:32 PM
here's why they are so good.

arcade fire is a one of a kind band that holds onto melodic combinations of awkward notes and chords using awkward instruments to create a sound that compliments Win's voice. When you listen to Funeral, and you say to yourself, this stuff is ok but i dont get it, take a second to really listen to the lyrics. In Funeral they really take a stab at holding onto your innocence while growing up, and viewing this politically driven culture through the eyes of someone with an immature and young perception on the world. They touch upon, young lovers, young destroyers, hatred, family, society, and what its like to grow up. Funeral was so highly rated because the Arcade Fire proves that playing your own instruments kicks the pants off of playing a digitally created sound.

Neon Bible was fantastic, but not as good as Funeral. It was no longer a theme in which you view the world through a child's eyes, but more of like the children grew up and are having to face with growing old, falling in and out of love, facing poverty, learning religion, and even self destruction. The album is very dark and can at times be tedious to listen to, but as a whole the album is excellent. No Cars Go reminds me of Funeral a lot as it still holds on to innocence and self-deprivation.

Arcade Fire is legendary because they are unique, beautiful, and do not seem to borrow any particular musical style from anybody (not that that's bad as most great bands have done it), but they are really original... and it works.

paulb
03-09-2007, 12:33 PM
im assuming you are saying "why does everyone like arcade fire" cause you havent heard it yet...and once u do, you will know. I didnt like them cause of all their hype. But then i actually listened to them, and now they are one of my fav bands. Incredible stuff they have. Im going to Coachella for RATM, but Arcade Fire and Justice will be whom ill most wanna see apart from rage. But i know what you are saying, why do so many people talk about Morrisey or live Radiohead shows...but i say that, cause ive never seen either one so, im missing out...sorta, not really.perhaps.who knows.

wmgaretjax
03-09-2007, 12:40 PM

just shut the fuck up and listen to it. if you don't get it, fine. if you do, great. other than that, stop posting stupid shit you fucking sheep.

C DUB YA
03-09-2007, 12:41 PM
Personally, I get it when I listen to Funeral - I don't get it when I listen to Neon Bible.

kimery08
03-09-2007, 12:45 PM
sheep, huh... i like that.

roberto73
03-09-2007, 01:03 PM
I aggree. I asked why people like the smiths so much all but like three said how stupid and moronic I was. Coachella is full of arrogant Assholes. I kindda like Arcade Fire because they're different and sound cool when your high as shit....

Yeah, you're such a victim. If you don't want people calling you stupid and moronic, don't make statements like this one:

The Smiths have NO TALENT! Morrisey whines like a bitch! I do like his stance on social issues and he is a good lyricist but the band as a whole is AWFULL!!

There's a world of difference between making an honest inquiry about why people like a band (which is what this guy did), and doing what you did. You didn't, in fact, ask why people like The Smiths, as you claim. You began by stating they're overrated and then proceeded to trash them to anyone who disagreed with you. There's a difference there.

And, just so I'm not completely off-topic, I like Arcade Fire because they somehow manage to be epic and wide-screen while still seeming highly personal. It's like crossing the ambition and pretension of Yes with the intimacy of Belle and Sebastian.

I'm Rosetta Stoned
03-09-2007, 01:17 PM
There music is bad and Morrisey sounds like he is whining when he sings. Why is that such a moronic statement. Thats my point.

ThomThom
03-09-2007, 01:18 PM
Somebody says "ThomThom is Dead"

Somebody says "ThomThom knows who somebody is"

Touche?

ThomThom
03-09-2007, 01:18 PM
There music is bad and Morrisey sounds like he is whining when he sings. Why is that such a moronic statement. Thats my point.

Thats not the first time I have heard this

HEADSTRUCK
03-09-2007, 01:21 PM
just shut the fuck up and listen to it. if you don't get it, fine. if you do, great. other than that, stop posting stupid shit you fucking sheep.

exactly my point

HEADSTRUCK
03-09-2007, 01:21 PM

arcade fire is a one of a kind band that holds onto melodic combinations of awkward notes and chords using awkward instruments to create a sound that compliments Win's voice. When you listen to Funeral, and you say to yourself, this stuff is ok but i dont get it, take a second to really listen to the lyrics. In Funeral they really take a stab at holding onto your innocence while growing up, and viewing this politically driven culture through the eyes of someone with an immature and young perception on the world. They touch upon, young lovers, young destroyers, hatred, family, society, and what its like to grow up. Funeral was so highly rated because the Arcade Fire proves that playing your own instruments kicks the pants off of playing a digitally created sound.

Neon Bible was fantastic, but not as good as Funeral. It was no longer a theme in which you view the world through a child's eyes, but more of like the children grew up and are having to face with growing old, falling in and out of love, facing poverty, learning religion, and even self destruction. The album is very dark and can at times be tedious to listen to, but as a whole the album is excellent. No Cars Go reminds me of Funeral a lot as it still holds on to innocence and self-deprivation.

Arcade Fire is legendary because they are unique, beautiful, and do not seem to borrow any particular musical style from anybody (not that that's bad as most great bands have done it), but they are really original... and it works.

this is the first post worth reading on this board

HEADSTRUCK
03-09-2007, 01:23 PM
im assuming you are saying "why does everyone like arcade fire" cause you havent heard it yet...and once u do, you will know. I didnt like them cause of all their hype. But then i actually listened to them, and now they are one of my fav bands. Incredible stuff they have. Im going to Coachella for RATM, but Arcade Fire and Justice will be whom ill most wanna see apart from rage. But i know what you are saying, why do so many people talk about Morrisey or live Radiohead shows...but i say that, cause ive never seen either one so, im missing out...sorta, not really.perhaps.who knows.

i really havent listen to them much...i heard the hype here then seen them on snl and was not impresses so i am trying to get pushed in the right direction so i will be able to enjoy them when i do see them

roberto73
03-09-2007, 01:32 PM

"There music is bad" is a moronic statement for two reasons:

1) You can't even bother to spell "their" correctly.
2) You've offered nothing in the way of evidence that their music is, in fact, bad. What's bad about it? The guitar? The rhythm section? Its traditional verse-chorus-verse structure? The melodies? The lack of backing vocals? The tempos?

Saying a band is bad and leaving it at that is a moronic statement because it requires no thought, no logic, no reasoning. Here, watch:

Rage Against the Machine's music is bad.
Mozart's music is bad.
John Coltrane's music is bad.
Neil Diamond's music is bad.
Tom Waits' music is bad.
Joy Division's music is bad.
Beethoven's music is bad.
Arcade Fire's music is bad.
Nirvana's music is bad.
Louis Armstrong's music is bad.
Cole Porter's music is bad.

See how easy that is? Which of those are true, which do I actually agree with, and which can I even defend? Who knows, and without any support, who cares? if you want people to take your opinion seriously, you have to start offering a little evidence.

I'm beating a dead horse, aren't I?

ThomThom
03-09-2007, 01:34 PM

So, let's try rephrasing the question if you would like a decent and ethical answer you fucking douche bag...Ready??? instead of "Why is everyone in love with Arcade Fire? I don't get it."
how about we try "I have listened to Arcade Fire and am still unable to understand the music and frankly I am unimpressed, does anybody have some advice or tips on what exactly I should listen to from their catalogue in order to get some form of understanding?" or you can even say "I don't understand Arcade Fire, can anybody elaborate their music in general for me?" When you ask douche bag questions with a douche bag tone you will get a "fucking moron" answer...douche bag

AEversW
03-09-2007, 01:36 PM
i hope GV never books a band that like Rage or Tool again. Specially when a majority of their fans don't care about the rest of the bands at the festival. It kinda ruins it for the "regulars"

ThomThom
03-09-2007, 01:40 PM
i hope GV never books a band that like Rage or Tool again. Specially when a majority of their fans don't care about the rest of the bands at the festival. It kinda ruins it for the "regulars"

It also ruins it for "newbies" that would like to become "regulars"

HEADSTRUCK
03-09-2007, 01:42 PM
So, let's try rephrasing the question if you would like a decent and ethical answer you fucking douche bag...Ready??? instead of "Why is everyone in love with Arcade Fire? I don't get it."
how about we try "I have listened to Arcade Fire and am still unable to understand the music and frankly I am unimpressed, does anybody have some advice or tips on what exactly I should listen to from their catalogue in order to get some form of understanding?" or you can even say "I don't understand Arcade Fire, can anybody elaborate their music in general for me?" When you ask douche bag questions with a douche bag tone you will get a "fucking moron" answer...douche bag

its not that i dont get it...from what i have seen it is just not that impressive...simple.....so instead of not giving it a shot i simply asked y people love it hoping to get some feedback so maybe i would check it out..i like how u can understand my tone on a msg board....and all of u coachella elitist think rage fans have an additude..huh

Sexecutioner
03-09-2007, 01:43 PM
Neon Bible was fantastic, but not as good as Funeral.

I actually like neon bible better than funeral. Funeral has too many tracks that put me to sleep. It needs more rockin on it. "wake up" kicks ass though and is probably my favorite arcade fire song.

AEversW
03-09-2007, 01:44 PM
It also ruins it for "newbies" that would like to become "regulars"

yep...my friend went for her first time last year and was punched in the back during massive attack cuz some tool fan wanted to get closer. She's not going this year.

FakePlasticMe
03-09-2007, 01:50 PM
Because they rock my socks.

ThomThom
03-09-2007, 01:51 PM
its not that i dont get it...from what i have seen it is just not that impressive...simple.....so instead of not giving it a shot i simply asked y people love it hoping to get some feedback so maybe i would check it out..i like how u can understand my tone on a msg board....and all of u coachella elitist think rage fans have an additude..huh

It's not that you don't get it but your opened this thread with "i dont get it"... hmmmm

ThomThom
03-09-2007, 01:51 PM
Because they rock my socks.

And there you have it...enough said

ThomThom
03-09-2007, 01:52 PM
Now all we need is Dave Wang to say this thread is dead and AirGuitarVet to say this is the best thread ever.

HEADSTRUCK
03-09-2007, 01:58 PM
It's not that you don't get it but your opened this thread with "i dont get it"... hmmmm

its not that i dont get the music its that i dont get why people like it.....do i need to draw u a pic or sumptin....geez

summerkid
03-09-2007, 01:59 PM

I wouldn't say that...they are heavily influenced by the Talking Heads and it shows...also a Springsteen influence has shown up on Neon Bible.

wmgaretjax
03-09-2007, 01:59 PM

seriously.

headstruck, shut the fuck up. stop cluttering the board with idiotic threads.

EDIT: There are several threads on AF out there, look 'em up. chance are you will find out why people like them. Stop being lazy.

malcolmjamalawesome
03-09-2007, 02:02 PM
Someone says "Thom Thom is playing with fire".

ThomThom
03-09-2007, 02:04 PM
its not that i dont get the music its that i dont get why people like it.....do i need to draw u a pic or sumptin....geez

No, no drawing necessary just stop posting stupid questions...NEXT!

ThomThom
03-09-2007, 02:05 PM
Someone says "Thom Thom is playing with fire".

Someone says he loves posting clutter in clutter threads

kimery08
03-09-2007, 02:14 PM
when i see thomthom i think of the thong song.

ThomThom
03-09-2007, 02:18 PM

Great now everytime I log in I am going to type in thongsong as my username

AEversW
03-09-2007, 02:18 PM

me too actaully.

amyzzz
03-09-2007, 02:19 PM
I don't like the guy's voice. I think maybe I've heard a couple songs by them, but I was so annoyed I haven't bothered to listen to anything else. And now it's really too late to go back on that opinion.

ThomThom
03-09-2007, 02:19 PM
me too actaully.

*creating userprofile for ThongSong*

HEADSTRUCK
03-09-2007, 02:24 PM
seriously.

headstruck, shut the fuck up. stop cluttering the board with idiotic threads.

EDIT: There are several threads on AF out there, look 'em up. chance are you will find out why people like them. Stop being lazy.

stop cluttering this board.....??? it was full of them when i got here along with all of u stupid people with ur lives based on the this msg board....it is a sad thing really....

ThomThom
03-09-2007, 02:45 PM
stop cluttering this board.....??? it was full of them when i got here along with all of u stupid people with ur lives based on the this msg board....it is a sad thing really....

Go here and see if they have a message board...http://kroq.com/

Douche bag

hangthedj112
03-09-2007, 02:50 PM
Some of you people take this rage feart too far, I mean I'd prefer a less rowdy crowd but stop being a huge pussy and accept it?

kimery08
03-09-2007, 02:56 PM
we're all going to hell anyways...

ThomThom
03-09-2007, 02:56 PM
Some of you people take this rage feart too far, I mean I'd prefer a less rowdy crowd but stop being a huge pussy and accept it?

Here, just in case the last one didn't work...http://kroq.com/

ThomThom
03-09-2007, 02:57 PM

Exactly and when we get there the Thong Song will be playing

kimery08
03-09-2007, 02:58 PM
yessssssssssssssssssss!!!

i only hope they will supply us with flouresant (??) colored thongs.

AEversW

i am...when my mom was pregnant with me she went to italy and got kicked out of the Vatican for saying "god dammit". Im surprised her plane wasn't struck down by lighting.

kimery08
and heels.

C DUB YA
03-09-2007, 02:59 PM

THEIR music is not bad and the Morrissey whining thing is something someone who doesn't know anything about them says. Its a pathetic, over-used, and incorrect soundbite of a review. One that is not original, and lacks any merit, i.e. moronic.

ThomThom
03-09-2007, 03:02 PM
THEIR music is not bad and the Morrissey whining thing is something someone who doesn't know anything about them says. Its a pathetic, over-used, and incorrect soundbite of a review. One that is not original, and lacks any merit, i.e. moronic.

I don't know where people get the "Morrissey is whiney" garbage, great song writer, and The Smiths?...please shut up and listen to "Meat is Murder" or "The Queen is Dead"

AEversW
03-09-2007, 03:03 PM
Maynard is worse the Morrissey. Maynard sounds like he's constipated all the time. Tool sucks.

ThomThom
03-09-2007, 03:04 PM
i am...when my mom was pregnant with me she went to italy and got kicked out of the Vatican for saying "god dammit". Im surprised her plane wasn't struck down by lighting.

WOW...I am surprised she wasnt hearing the Thong Song long before the rest of us

hangthedj112
03-09-2007, 03:06 PM
Maynard is worse the Morrissey. Maynard sounds like he's constipated all the time. Tool sucks.

You're the reason everyone attaches being an elitist cunt to indie music.

C DUB YA
03-09-2007, 03:06 PM
I don't know where people get the "Morrissey is whiney" garbage, great song writer, and The Smiths?...please shut up and listen to "Meat is Murder" or "The Queen is Dead"

Exactly.

People with no taste, or people with narrow taste, like to label and pigeonhole what they don't understand. I think it was some no-brain AMERICAN (around 1985) critic quoted Morrissey as a whiney ponce, just because of the deeply personal and yes sometime bleak nature of the lyrics, not because he whines.

As far as albums - consistantly great records from them in an amazing short period of time.

AEversW
03-09-2007, 03:07 PM

hahaha...i like tool. Im just trying to piss him off because im bored.

ThomThom
03-09-2007, 03:09 PM

LOL!, since we are all going to hell anyways I think I am going to start calling everybody (except my boss and my mother) an elitist cunt

AEversW
03-09-2007, 03:12 PM
LOL!, since we are all going to hell anyways I think I am going to start calling everybody (except my boss and my mother) an elitist cunt

i called my step mom a cunt. I haven't been back to my dads house since.

ThomThom
03-09-2007, 03:14 PM
i called my step mom a cunt. I haven't been back to my dads house since.

As long as she's not the one who shitted you out it doesn't matter...If I had a step mom I think I would call her a cunt as well.

charlie1
03-09-2007, 03:20 PM
I hate that fucking word

ThomThom
03-09-2007, 03:42 PM
AEvers...your mom should've just named your ass Laika

AEversW
03-09-2007, 03:45 PM
it would've be for my own good.

rage patton
03-09-2007, 03:49 PM

Haha me too.
I like how this tread his almost nothing to do with the Arcade Fire anymore.

ThomThom
03-09-2007, 03:51 PM
Haha me too.
I like how this tread his almost nothing to do with the Arcade Fire anymore.

It is beautiful isn't it??? We must find a way to hide "clutter"

I'm Rosetta Stoned
03-09-2007, 06:20 PM
BEST THREAD EVER!!! For serious!!

Kiefer
03-09-2007, 10:17 PM
too bad, i totally agree with headstruck in the fact that i dont get it. and again, i started this type of thread long ago. the first time i heard any arcade fire, was on the coachella dvd, cuz everyone was saying "OMG they totally fucking blew away the whole weekend. best thing ever OMG!!!11!!1!!." so, i listened to it. that dude's voice sucks. on top of that, to me, it felt like, 'ok lets have all our friends on stage and give them a job. you - act weird. you two over there - be pretentious... etc etc.' they just seem like some fucking spoiled fucking mopey art school kids who were too cool to do anything else. dont get me wrong, the music they make is alright, but the vocals kind of ruined it. (for that song anyway). my boss just played some at work, and it seemed ok. but the coachella footage just rubbed me the wrong way. i really believe they are way too overhyped. but so are most bands.

woogie846
03-09-2007, 10:41 PM
I was a big fan of Funeral, but from what I've heard of Neon Bible, meh.

rage patton
03-09-2007, 11:36 PM
I dont think the lead singers voice is bad. I dont like the songs where the girl sings lead vocals though. I thought their performance on SNL started out mediocre, like nothing special. But then towards the end, he broke a string and you could see on his face he was pissed off. So at the end of the song he smashed the shit outta that acoustic guitar. That alone made me want to see them this year. It was just so random and uncalled, and so funny cuz its the Arcade Fire! Worst case scenario: they are boring and no guitar smashing goes on, so I check out some other artist.
However I should support them, one of the very few Candian acts this year. I believe there are 3 acts in total. However they are from Quebec. So....

Dirtbag Magee
03-10-2007, 12:46 AM
Wake up is one of my favorite songs hands down.

ThomThom
03-10-2007, 05:53 PM
too bad, i totally agree with headstruck in the fact that i dont get it. and again, i started this type of thread long ago. the first time i heard any arcade fire, was on the coachella dvd, cuz everyone was saying "OMG they totally fucking blew away the whole weekend. best thing ever OMG!!!11!!1!!." so, i listened to it. that dude's voice sucks. on top of that, to me, it felt like, 'ok lets have all our friends on stage and give them a job. you - act weird. you two over there - be pretentious... etc etc.' they just seem like some fucking spoiled fucking mopey art school kids who were too cool to do anything else. dont get me wrong, the music they make is alright, but the vocals kind of ruined it. (for that song anyway). my boss just played some at work, and it seemed ok. but the coachella footage just rubbed me the wrong way. i really believe they are way too overhyped. but so are most bands.

Unfortunately...you are entitled to an opinion, although a shitty one, you still entitled to it...so what is everybody's (people who like them) favorite track on Neon Bible..."My Body is a Cage" is embedded into my brain at this point.

Kiefer
03-10-2007, 08:26 PM
sorry we disagree. we cant all love shit prepubescent hipster bands.

blakely
03-10-2007, 08:43 PM

word.....