PDA

View Full Version : Neon Bible

Pemakarpo
03-09-2007, 12:11 PM
Proabably a duplicate thread but after listening to it three times through I've still got a shit-eating grin on my face. It might not be quite as epic as Funeral but Windowsill, No Cars Go, Keep the Car Running, and Black Wave/Bad Vibration kick major ass. And incidentally it's on sale at Target for $7.99. Can't wait for the Sat. show!

PotVsKtl
03-09-2007, 12:20 PM
I'm going to deposit my junk in your gullet.

Tylerdurden31
03-09-2007, 12:35 PM
I'm going to deposit my junk in your gullet.

Can someone take the time to gather all of Pot's threats and put them in a thread?

mob roulette
03-09-2007, 12:51 PM
hey is this out already? how is it? does anyone know? please tell me. i want to buy it but i'm not sure yet. is it good? is it bad? i'm confused. when does it come out anyway? hey have you guys heard of arcade fire?

as cobain spins in his grave.

Pemakarpo
03-09-2007, 12:53 PM
nice to see that sarcasm's alive and well in the 21st century....sigh....

mob roulette
03-09-2007, 01:12 PM
i like you already pemakarpo, so i'll let you in on a little secret. the reason we are being snide to you is that most of us have read literally a million posts about neon bible in the last six months or so. i would be completely surprised if there weren't a recently updated arcade fire thread or two or three or four floating around RIGHT NOW. find one and stick to it. just my advice.

but welcome aboard.

we should form a welcome committee. take turns doing this sort of thing. wait, what am i saying? this is the coachella messageboard. fuck you new guy!

kidding. welcome.

TomAz
03-09-2007, 01:26 PM
http://www.antiquemystique.com/images/4172_jpg.jpg

PotVsKtl
03-09-2007, 01:42 PM
http://www.damox.com/entertainment/dazed_and_confused/screens_benny_paddle.jpg

keriann
03-09-2007, 01:50 PM
Is it wrong of me to look forward to people creating threads like this so I can see Pot say things like "I'm going to deposit my junk in your gullet?"

Pemakarpo
03-09-2007, 02:01 PM
I guess I deserve a certain amount of derision for being Capt. Obvious on this one. So how's this: I'm gonna be smoking a joint on the roof of my parking garage in Century City @ 5:00pm. Anyone wanna "jump me in" then...fair game.

"Okay you freshman fucks listen up. It's your lucky day. Usually you'd be spending your freshman summer getting your asses busted and running for your worthless little lives. But this year because we feel so sorry for you, we're going to take it easy on you. And save us all a lot of time. So if you meet here. right here. After school today. You only get one licking from each of us. But you run like cowards. Well it's open season all summer long boys."

Yablonowitz
03-09-2007, 02:04 PM
I guess I deserve a certain amount of derision for being Capt. Obvious on this one. So how's this: I'm gonna be smoking a joint on the roof of my parking garage in Century City @ 5:00pm. Anyone wanna "jump me in" then...fair game.

"Okay you freshman fucks listen up. It's your lucky day. Usually you'd be spending your freshman summer getting your asses busted and running for your worthless little lives. But this year because we feel so sorry for you, we're going to take it easy on you. And save us all a lot of time. So if you meet here. right here. After school today. You only get one licking from each of us. But you run like cowards. Well it's open season all summer long boys."

See Pem, there are some of us who judge the quality of poster on their response to derision. You handled it well. I say "nice job."

mob roulette
03-09-2007, 02:11 PM
agreed. good for you tiger.

now drop and give us twenty.

TomAz
03-13-2007, 10:40 AM
sorry I can't find the other thread..

this album is seriously good. there are 3 or 4 songs on here that are better than anything on Funeral. IMO. I'm seeing a lot of growth and they seem more assured and mature. Win's singing is better. It's like every criticism I had of Funeral (my "histrionics" comment that Yablo so enjoyed) has been addressed and taken care of. "My Body Is A Cage" is the song of the year for me so far.

John Peel is My Co-pilot
03-13-2007, 10:50 AM
As albums go I think it's more cohesive than "Funeral" as a whole. It's not gonna create any new fans that the first album missed, but as sophomore efforts go, I'm a happy boy.

Oh, and "Keep The Car Running" live looks like it'll be a lot of fun!

TomAz
03-13-2007, 10:56 AM
It's not gonna create any new fans that the first album missed

I dunno bout that. They're getting some serious pub. Article in the NYT Magazine last week, article in the New Yorker last month. Big feature articles by snobby but fairly mainstream publications.

And frankly, while I liked AF after Funeral, it's only now that I really consider myself a big fan.

mob roulette
03-13-2007, 10:59 AM
an arcade fire thread for every page, i say.

also my body is a cage is a revelation. agreed. stated. whatever.

John Peel is My Co-pilot
03-13-2007, 11:09 AM
I dunno bout that. They're getting some serious pub. Article in the NYT Magazine last week, article in the New Yorker last month. Big feature articles by snobby but fairly mainstream publications.

And frankly, while I liked AF after Funeral, it's only now that I really consider myself a big fan.

I'd argue that it isn't the album that's caused that pub. it's the intervening years since Funeral came out have given those "snobby but fairly mainstream publications" a chance to catch up to the rest of us.

I don't think Neon Bible is any more accessible to the casual fan than Funeral, although I'll agree that there are a few tracks on it that are a considerable upgrade on some of Funeral.

bartelby
03-13-2007, 11:10 AM
i agree - my body is a cage was my fav from the start...its funny though cause that's the song often referenced as the CD's worst in lots of reviews

anyone have links to their SNL performance?

PotVsKtl
03-13-2007, 01:32 PM
It's referenced as the worst because the title is "My Body Is a Cage." You're going to let them get away with that? The lyrics are like 12 feral 3rd graders gnawing at my calves with Yoohoo stained incisors.

codytwo
03-13-2007, 01:46 PM
This album is in no way better than funeral. I fail to see how it is more cohesive as an album, and I think its funny that all of the reviews say exactly the same thign regarding its "cohesiveness" and that coincidentally, a whole bunch of people on message boards have the same exact thought. And yet I doubt anyone can point to a specific attribute of the album that makes it better "as an album" than Funeral.

bug on your lip
03-13-2007, 01:47 PM
http://hulk.osd.wednet.edu/~carit/avatar/gangsta2.gif

TomAz
03-13-2007, 01:50 PM
This album is in no way better than funeral. I fail to see how it is more cohesive as an album, and I think its funny that all of the reviews say exactly the same thign regarding its "cohesiveness" and that coincidentally, a whole bunch of people on message boards have the same exact thought. And yet I doubt anyone can point to a specific attribute of the album that makes it better "as an album" than Funeral.

here's one attribute: It has better songs.

PotVsKtl
03-13-2007, 01:52 PM
snobby

catch up to the rest of us.

What is inaccessible about Funeral? It's pop music. They're in the NYT because people won't shut the fuck up about about how much of Win's caged spunk they'd love to slather their wands in.

J~$$$
03-13-2007, 01:55 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

TomAz
03-13-2007, 02:02 PM
The lyrics are like 12 feral 3rd graders gnawing at my calves with Yoohoo stained incisors.

that's a good image, it's sort of like Win's singing on Funeral.

codytwo
03-13-2007, 02:04 PM
here's one attribute: It has better songs.

Does not.

PotVsKtl
03-13-2007, 02:17 PM
:( .

HorrorLibraryNet
03-13-2007, 02:37 PM
Y'know...I like the album. It's pretty listenable, and I'm looking forward to seeing them live at Coachella.

That said, I'm not sure what it is...but "Keep the Car Running" reminds me of "On The Dark Side" from the soundtrack EDDIE AND THE CRUISERS.

Something about his vocal pacing...something...reminds me of that damn song. *LOL* Yeah, it's probably just me. I hear similarities that aren't always necessarily there. Also hear a splash of "Happy Birthday" by Altered Images in there too. Again...probably just me.

Yablonowitz
03-13-2007, 07:45 PM

You're an anti-hipster hipster. Hey, look, only codytwo can think for himself and he's going to tell you all about it.

codytwo
03-13-2007, 08:06 PM
Does that make you an anti-anti-hipster hipster hipster?

Yablonowitz
03-13-2007, 09:01 PM
More of a "don't accuse people of being mindless drones who just repeat what they read in music reviews" hipster.

codytwo
03-13-2007, 09:14 PM
Can I be a "takes people's words and extrapolates wild generalizations from them and throws them back in people's faces" hipster? Or do you pretty much have that market covered?

blakely
03-13-2007, 09:17 PM
be a "misunderstood-hipster", i hear theyre much harder to break down and generalize

Yablonowitz
03-13-2007, 10:18 PM
I think its funny that all of the reviews say exactly the same thign regarding its "cohesiveness" and that coincidentally, a whole bunch of people on message boards have the same exact thought. And yet I doubt anyone can point to a specific attribute of the album that makes it better "as an album" than Funeral.

Where am I extrapolating?

You are clearly making the point that people are just mindlessly repeating the same talking points that they read in a review as though their opinion isn't really valid because they're not thinking for themselves.

That sounds pretty condescending to me; as though you're someone who is trying so valiantly to separate himself from the masses and prove his independent critical thinking skills. Maybe a lot of people are saying it because a lot of people genuinely feel that to be true. How do you argue the case for cohesiveness? It's not exactly an objectively provable attribute. You don't need to patronize them if you disagree. Just point out why you disagree...don't insult people just because you have a different opinion.

codytwo
03-13-2007, 10:20 PM
I didn't insult anyone. Any personal offense garnered from that post merely indicates that the offended party knows deep down that they are guilty as charged.

Jenniehoo
03-13-2007, 10:24 PM
You two are retarded. You should get along. You're hating on eachother for the same shit. Knock it off.

Hug it out, bitches.

Yablonowitz
03-13-2007, 10:30 PM
I didn't insult anyone. Any personal offense garnered from that post merely indicates that the offended party knows deep down that they are guilty as charged.

Ha ha! OK. #1 I'm taking this way too seriously. #2 I don't note a signficant difference in "cohesiveness" between either album, and #3 Guilty of what?

I'm not meaning to rip into you...it's just the mindset we often get about others whose opinion we disagree with. I do it myself, like we can dismiss a popular fad that we don't like by belittling the people who do.

We all need to read the Starbelly Sneeches.

Yablonowitz
03-13-2007, 10:31 PM
You two are retarded. You should get along. You're hating on eachother for the same shit. Knock it off.

Hug it out, bitches.

What are you a fucking mediator now?

STATED.

codytwo
03-13-2007, 10:32 PM

Hug it out, bitches.

I see you are a hugging hipster? Its a rare breed, but not unheard of.

Jenniehoo
03-13-2007, 10:38 PM
What are you a fucking mediator now?

STATED.

OK. That shuts me up.

I just don't like to see two rational people fight when I feel like they're coming from similar places...which basically hinges on the fact that they're both trying to sound like they're NOT coming from that similar place.

It's just gay. But I'm out.

Yablonowitz
03-13-2007, 10:43 PM
OK. That shuts me up.

I just don't like to see two rational people fight when I feel like they're coming from similar places...which basically hinges on the fact that they're both trying to sound like they're NOT coming from that similar place.

It's just gay. But I'm out.

You just chill, god damn it.

I'm just trying to say I don't like it when we assume to know the motivations of people we disagree with. I'm not sure we're coming from similar places in this discussion though.

Go down some melatonin.

full on idle
03-13-2007, 10:45 PM
Why should we play tug of war when we can play hug of war?

hangthedj112
03-13-2007, 10:47 PM
This thread is gayer than Richard Simmons.

Yablonowitz
03-13-2007, 10:48 PM
Do you know Richard Simmons is gay for a fact? Has he ever come out and said he was gay? I don't think so. Stop assuming things, you indie hipster doofus.

Jenniehoo
03-13-2007, 10:49 PM
I hate you guys.

I can't hang like I used to.

full on idle
I try to picture someone saying that and thinking it's funny or clever and I get sad with the picture I get.

HAHAHAH in response to the gay post not the hoo post.

codytwo
You just chill, god damn it.

I'm just trying to say I don't like it when we assume to know the motivations of people we disagree with. I'm not sure we're coming from similar places in this discussion though.

Go down some melatonin.

Jennie's point is that in calling me out thusly, you committed the sin you are accusing me of. The supreme irony of it all! Mayhaps thou dost removest the log from thine own eye, 'ere you seeketh to remove the speck from another's?

Yablonowitz
03-13-2007, 10:50 PM
I try to picture someone saying that and thinking it's funny or clever and I get sad with the picture I get.

HAHAHAH in response to the gay post not the hoo post.

What about the yablo post? Do I make you sad?

codytwo
03-13-2007, 10:50 PM
Of course, with that post, I just perpetuated the cycle.

Yablonowitz
03-13-2007, 10:51 PM
Jennie's point is that in calling me out thusly, you committed the sin you are accusing me of. The supreme irony of it all! Mayhaps thou dost removest the log from thine own eye, 'ere you seeketh to remove the speck from another's?

What is that, fucking Shakespeare? Fucking elitist bitch.

codytwo
03-13-2007, 10:55 PM
You WOULD think its Shakespeare. What, is Spencer not hip enough for you? you're so fucking Elizabethan.

schoolofruckus
03-13-2007, 11:13 PM
You are clearly making the point that people are just mindlessly repeating the same talking points that they read in a review as though their opinion isn't really valid because they're not thinking for themselves.

Ha ha! OK. #1 I'm taking this way too seriously. #2 I don't note a signficant difference in "cohesiveness" between either album, and #3 Guilty of what?

I'm not meaning to rip into you...it's just the mindset we often get about others whose opinion we disagree with. I do it myself, like we can dismiss a popular fad that we don't like by belittling the people who do.

We all need to read the Starbelly Sneeches.

First of all, I love the fact that Greg speaks resentfully of the concept of lifting one's opinions from reading materials, and then recommends we all read a book to solve the issue at hand.

Second of all, I don't think Cody was implying that those of us who think the album lacks certain qualities - and I completely agree that it is far less cohesive than "Funeral" - were taking our opinions from reviews; I think he was saying quite clearly that it's not a mystery that both reviewer and fan alike think that because it is the case. There's a subtle difference.

Third of all, sure, sometimes we belittle people who don't agree with us as a way of proving our own opposing point. That's the heart of an argument, for fuck's sake! Take Greg, for example. He likes grizzly bears, the Raiders, and Fountains of Wayne. Why wouldn't I call him a mouth-breathing derelict with stinky balls? For all I know, he's classy and well-groomed, but for all intents and purposes, I think he's a behemoth with rank nuts. This is how the game is played. It's like taking steroids in baseball in the late 90's - you do it because that's how it's done everywhere! Just ask Greg's baseball team's star player.

Hi Greg.

And hi, mismarta. Glad to see you checking in!

John Peel is My Co-pilot
03-13-2007, 11:23 PM

God darnit, Mr. Cody, you use your keyboard prettier than a twenty dollar whore.

codytwo
03-13-2007, 11:41 PM
First of all, I love the fact that Greg speaks resentfully of the concept of lifting one's opinions from reading materials, and then recommends we all read a book to solve the issue at hand.

Second of all, I don't think Cody was implying that those of us who think the album lacks certain qualities - and I completely agree that it is far less cohesive than "Funeral" - were taking our opinions from reviews; I think he was saying quite clearly that it's not a mystery that both reviewer and fan alike think that because it is the case. There's a subtle difference.

Third of all, sure, sometimes we belittle people who don't agree with us as a way of proving our own opposing point. That's the heart of an argument, for fuck's sake! Take Greg, for example. He likes grizzly bears, the Raiders, and Fountains of Wayne. Why wouldn't I call him a mouth-breathing derelict with stinky balls? For all I know, he's classy and well-groomed, but for all intents and purposes, I think he's a behemoth with rank nuts. This is how the game is played. It's like taking steroids in baseball in the late 90's - you do it because that's how it's done everywhere! Just ask Greg's baseball team's star player.

Hi Greg.

And hi, mismarta. Glad to see you checking in!

No, you got me wrong. I think you are all brainless twats. And I think you misread the previous posts. People were saying that the album works better as an album and is MORE cohesive. And that seems to be the dominant point of view in reviews, also. I just don't see it that way at all.