PDA

View Full Version : Coachella News (The Desert Sun) re camping in open areas and back yards

baily
03-17-2011, 10:25 AM
http://www.mydesert.com/article/20110317/NEWS01/103170311/Makeshift-campgrounds-prohibited-during-Coachella-Stagecoach-other-large-concerts?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Frontpage

Indio residents hoping to make a quick buck by allowing their property to serve as a campground for concertgoers for the upcoming Coachella Valley Music & Arts Festival and Stagecoach are out of luck.

The Indio City Council on Wednesday approved 4-1 an interim urgency ordinance that temporarily prohibits such unregulated campgrounds in the city during large concerts of more than 10,000 people and that incorporates permitted camping.

Still allowed is the camping at the concert venue and camping done by residents and their families on private property.

Mayor Lupe Ramos Watson voted no partly because she didn't think it gave residents enough notice time.

The Coachella festival is April 15-17 and Stagecoach is April 30 and May 1.

Both are being held at Empire Polo Club.

“I'm uncomfortable moving forward on something that isn't comprehensive,” she said.

The Indio Police Department requested the 45-day moratorium on private campgrounds to reduce potential public safety hazards during the huge festivals.

“There have been issues where they've had activity that they weren't set up to deal with. We had one incident where they had an (overdose) and alcohol issues and being too loud,” said Ben Guitron, Indio Police Department spokesman.

Police Capt. Richard Banasiak said the city has the appropriate resources to handle the estimated 90,000-plus people that will be in town for the Coachella festival.

But if police have to respond to illegal campgrounds across the city because of problems that arise, it takes away manpower designated for the festival.

“The city cannot effectively police nonresidential camping throughout the city during a large temporary use or special event that includes permitted camping,” said a city staff report prepared by City Attorney Edward Kotkin.

Some residents are happy to see the city crack down on the unregulated campgrounds.

“Any camping in the city should be regulated. Each site should be able to take care of itself and not be a problem for our police department,” said resident Linda Beal.

Guitron said operators of illegal campgrounds would be cited.

He said code enforcement officers would also see what other violations exist.

“It may not just be a camping issue. It could be health and safety. It could be subject to closing it down. It just depends,” he said.

Robin
03-17-2011, 10:57 AM
I wonder how bad the panic will be.

Inthecolumbiagorge
03-17-2011, 11:15 AM
Oh...this is not good for people that were hoping to camp off site:-( Bummer.

NachoCat
03-17-2011, 11:19 AM
I dont believe the Afterhours campsite is effected by this. I still plan on camping there

Desaparecidos
03-17-2011, 11:27 AM
more tickets in the market then?

AgainstFeist
03-17-2011, 11:30 AM
Good luck enforcing this Indio PD.

BROKENDOLL
03-17-2011, 11:57 AM
Are there any other locals out there wondering how the hell we can live in this vast open desert, yet still not be able to provide space for what they consider a legal campsite for overflow campers? Every time I leave Indian Palms, I see that big open and undeveloped field across the street doing nothing. It's within walking distance, could relieve camping issues, and because it's close, it cut back on some of the traffic issues as well... WTF, Indio?

Dustin da DnB Soulja
03-17-2011, 12:00 PM
Are there any other locals out there wondering how the hell we can live in this vast open desert, yet still not be able to provide space for what they consider a legal campsite for overflow campers? Every time I leave Indian Palms, I see that big open and undeveloped field across the street doing nothing. It's within walking distance, could relieve camping issues, and because it's close, it cut back on some of the traffic issues as well... WTF, Indio?

Get a permit and some porta potties, and make some money yourself...

captncrzy
03-17-2011, 12:07 PM
Good luck enforcing this Indio PD.

My thoughts exactly. What are the police going to do? Show up and demand a Genealogy report proving the people in your backyard are lineal relatives?

Dustin da DnB Soulja
03-17-2011, 01:12 PM
I dont believe the Afterhours campsite is effected by this. I still plan on camping there

Not in Indio so you're fine.

My thoughts exactly. What are the police going to do? Show up and demand a Genealogy report proving the people in your backyard are lineal relatives?

They will ask to see ID's and know relations of each individual, there may be a clause that it's only direct relatives (same last name) or some BS. I doubt they would make this law as an empty threat, I think they are out for fines and blood.

captncrzy
03-17-2011, 01:32 PM
They can't base it off of last name. My sister doesn't have the same last name as I do. I don't have the same last name as my husband, etc.

Miroir Noir
03-17-2011, 01:48 PM
I think they'll notice if someone's back yard starts to look like a refugee camp. Small time violators are likely not going to be punished 1) because no one will notice and 2) because they're not really the public health/safety issue.

Dustin da DnB Soulja
03-17-2011, 01:52 PM
They can't base it off of last name. My sister doesn't have the same last name as I do. I don't have the same last name as my husband, etc.

Then they will use the general rule of "Probably cause" so if you're real family you'll disperse the camp and sleep on the floor or something stupid like that...

Miroir Noir
03-17-2011, 01:53 PM
Also, don't forget how code enforcment works: the Indio police aren't going to be forceably removing people from premises or going to courts to get emergency injunctions forcing camping to stop. They'll issue citations and see the violators in court long after the camping hordes have moved on.

captncrzy
03-17-2011, 01:57 PM
According to the minutes from last night, the city's reasoning is that this statute will prevent the police having to respond to calls from angry neighbors calling in about loud drunks in backyards, therefore allowing the police to be free for more important matters surrounding the festival. Yet, the only way to enforce this new rule is to respond to calls from angry neighbors. Doesn't make sense.

Dustin da DnB Soulja
03-17-2011, 02:00 PM
According to the minutes from last night, the city's reasoning is that this statute will prevent the police having to respond to calls from angry neighbors calling in about loud drunks in backyards, therefore allowing the police to be free for more important matters surrounding the festival. Yet, the only way to enforce this new rule is to respond to calls from angry neighbors. Doesn't make sense.

Sure it does.... "oh you guys have some tents set up, well according to the new law instated (insert technical code) we're allowed on the premises."

It lets them get on private property.

Robin
03-17-2011, 02:11 PM

It sounds like the police aren't willing to do this part of their job description.

If this statute is enforced, it has the potential of diminishing a large portion of the Coachella/Stagecoach crowd, which will lead to less revenue for surrounding businesses.

M Sparks
03-17-2011, 02:25 PM
“The city cannot effectively police nonresidential camping throughout the city during a large temporary use or special event that includes permitted camping,”.

So, before , the city only had to police campsites that got out of hand. Now they have to police all of them.

Great logic.

PlayaDelWes
03-17-2011, 02:29 PM
Come on, what’s more important? Spreading the Police department thin throughout the city of Indio to enforce all of the rules that come along with allowing off-site camping, or focused on the festival itself? Only good things can come out of having law enforcement focusing on traffic control and the flow of people in and out of the festival.

The Indio Police don’t WANT to go to people’s homes or ‘open areas’ to enforce anything. During the several large festivals each year, they've got other prioirites. With limited resources, this law is preventative in nautre and in no way ‘in-spite’ of those opening up their properties to campers.

It doesn't displace a material amount of festival attendees either. If they are truly against camping on-site, staying at a hotel, or renting a house, it will just push them into neighboring cities where law enforcement is more available to monitor the safety of the campers, hosts, and neighbors.

michaelmontanez
03-18-2011, 10:02 AM
Whoever is afterhours camping, you got lucky the place is in Thermal, haha. Anyway, that place is fun, and chill, so hit them up!

Dustin da DnB Soulja
03-18-2011, 10:29 AM
Whoever is afterhours camping, you're unlucky the place is in Thermal, haha. Anyway, that place is fun, and chill, so hit them up!

I agree.

Aurgasm
03-18-2011, 10:58 AM
Cops are going to be busy as fuck this year- not only do they have the added duties of shutting down illegal camps and checking wristbands, but they have to.... police a festival of 100,000 people...

Crazy

PlayaDelWes
03-18-2011, 11:02 AM
^ you guys still don't get it. This is so the cops DON'T have to police illegal camp grounds. Laws aren't created to bust people. You create a law to stop people from doing an activity. In this case, it's to stop an activity that required police resources that could be used elsewhere. Now, those resources can be used on higher priority items like the festival itself.

Dustin da DnB Soulja
03-18-2011, 11:04 AM
It's also a bonus revenue stream and a quick way to handle matters. Instead of going there, trying to get access to the house, trying to talk to the house owner, etc. etc. It's show up, possibly tell them to close up the camp or fine them, then roll out.

baily
03-18-2011, 11:43 AM
I live in the area, the main thing is that if you do stay in someones backyard for camping that you are respectful. The only reason this would be an issue is if you are loud and obnoxious during reg. sleep hours.

They also don't want people camping in open spaces thinking that's ok. People that do this behavior risk the event from being renewed by the city of Indio.

It's rather simple....many people I know rent their backyards out and make money doing it. We thought about doing it this year, but canceled because we worried about getting some a-holes that would be making a lot of noise and bothering our neighbors.

Radiohead
03-19-2011, 09:15 PM

The cops don't have to prove that you were breaking the law to issue a citation. They issue it, and then you can challenge it.

They're probably only going to enforce this in situations where it's completely obvious what's really going on. I doubt the police will make it a priority to go look for people who have "illegal" camping on their property, they'll just use this to stop any that they get complaints about.