PDA

View Full Version : cell phones vs. walkie talkies vs. ESP

xenophobia
03-13-2011, 02:04 PM
how do you communicate in the coachella grounds?

flowbee
03-13-2011, 03:15 PM
Text. You won't believe this but its hard to hear there. It worked almost lag free last year, well better than other years at least (on tmobile). A good designated meeting spot is a must as a backup option.

lawbstar
03-13-2011, 03:33 PM
I repeat: have numbers saved somewhere else other than your cellphone. I split up with my friend during MIA in 08 and then realized I lost my phone. This was AT NIGHT and I quickly started to panic because I didn't know my friends number by heart. I ran around the field back and forth trying to find my phone or my friend when by the mercy of jeebus someone tossed my phone on the lawn right in front of me!!! (probably figuring whoever lost it would come back to the same spot). I was very fucking lucky. So in short: write those numbers down. Strangers are nice and will let you borrow their phone if you lose yours.

xenophobia
03-13-2011, 04:05 PM
those areas where you're able to charge your cell phone are usually clusterfucked, and my phone dies too quickly.

xenophobia
03-13-2011, 04:05 PM
i need some other options here

marleybooger
03-13-2011, 04:17 PM
walkie talkies.
hands down.

TickleMeElmo
03-13-2011, 11:47 PM
Carrier pidgeons.

Caifan
03-13-2011, 11:57 PM
walkie talkies.
hands down.
If you bring them get the good kind not the cheap ones you can always return them

djbionik
03-14-2011, 01:51 AM
walkies are great, but there was a lot of traffic on the low channels. If you get one, get the good kind with lots of channels. less people on the higher ones.
I thought I could communicate with my iphone.. OH... guess what, everyone and thier dog at coachella has an iphone. reception was terrible, and sometimes it didn't even make calls. Aaand, it gets so hot in your pocket, or your bag that it kills the battery.

TomAz
03-14-2011, 01:11 PM
texting is unreliable. last year i had texts showing up the next morning.

http://misplacedperson.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/semaphore.png

Tandemind
03-14-2011, 01:21 PM
You'll need level 3 ESP to reach someone at the campgrounds if you're at the Sahara. Level 1 works fine from tent to tent.

BeeII
03-14-2011, 05:14 PM
pre assigned meeting spots are your friend

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
03-14-2011, 05:29 PM
pre assigned meeting spots are your friend

Yes. Always have a end-of-night meeting spot in case you get separated from your group (which you most likely will)

EDIT: not as important if you're camping

choice cat
03-14-2011, 06:16 PM
it was mentioned by someone in another thread on here somewhere, but send texts with current time included in them, plus next projected place. for example:

going to deadmau5 in sahara at 1130 near 4th opening on tent. going to whitest boy alive at 1205 will be mid tent on right.

much better than "WHERE ARE YOU!!?!?!?" because that is useless when received late.

frizzlefry
03-14-2011, 06:19 PM
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRvS69OhSliOxzhb1MtLlA211OpnLp4_ pm7_Bs9OWYPi1dHiB2OLA

Problem solved

nbvcide
03-14-2011, 07:00 PM
if u dont want to receive late txts when u leave the grounds or the next morning, restart ur phone, it forces ur cell to reconnect to the network and pushes txts through, sent AND received ones.. too many cells using the nearest towers are to blame, although reception seems to improve each year

Davids81
03-15-2011, 09:14 AM
if u dont want to receive late txts when u leave the grounds or the next morning, restart ur phone, it forces ur cell to reconnect to the network and pushes txts through, sent AND received ones.. too many cells using the nearest towers are to blame, although reception seems to improve each year

I believe switching "airplane" mode on and off works like this too.

mountmccabe
03-15-2011, 12:50 PM
texting is unreliable. last year i had texts showing up the next morning.

No, we sent those texts at 4 am, pretending to see if you wanted to meet up. It's one of those traditions which makes Coachella what it is.

Also if you have battery life issues with your phone next time consider getting a phone with removable batteries.

My more reasonable answer is to not split up after dark and/or have well defined meet up spots. "The Coachella stage for Arcade Fire" is not a meet up spot; by the furthest back Coachella stage speaker, left side, 10 minutes before Arcade Fire is a workable spot. And you can always move up when you're gathered.

Dustin da DnB Soulja
03-15-2011, 12:52 PM
Last year my group's spot was the Crane's Asshole meet up spot. Even had a foursquare check in, that I plan on becoming mayor of.