PDA

View Full Version : Campground Noise Pollution

Media Blitz
03-12-2011, 12:09 PM
Last year, I stayed 2 tents down from these dorks who jammed their iPod all day, which wouldn't have been too bad if every band wasn't Audioslave, Sublime, Nirvana, and every other alt rock radio band KROQ has shoved down my throat for decades. 2-3 hours of this got so god damn annoying and by Sunday I wanted to slap the shit out of everyone in their party.

So how do I prevent this in 2011? I don't want to be a dick but I will not be woken up at 8 AM to the sound of Chris Cornell removing Rage Against the Machine's balls.

I also hate people that make mix CD's of Coachella artists and play them all weekend. I heard "Stylo" and "Woo Boost" approximately 950 times between Thursday night and Monday morning. THE REAL ARTISTS ARE PLAYING FOR A REASON.

Neighborhood Creep
03-12-2011, 12:12 PM
I had this problem when I tried to sleep around 3am each night with a large generator hooked up to campground lights. Tent was 5 feet away from it.

Media Blitz
03-12-2011, 12:21 PM
Hahaha so you heard BRUUUUUUUUUUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM all night?

stepup2stepout
03-12-2011, 01:42 PM
I had this problem when I tried to sleep around 3am each night with a large generator hooked up to campground lights. Tent was 5 feet away from it.

This was such a fucking annoyance for me last year. I mean, i slept through the noise because I was just so tired, but its not something i want to deal with again.

aphrael
03-12-2011, 01:50 PM
This was such a fucking annoyance for me last year. I mean, i slept through the noise because I was just so tired, but its not something i want to deal with again.

in previous years i've dealt with this by drinking/smoking enough that i can sleep through this sort of crap.

Trick Loves The Kids
03-12-2011, 02:21 PM
combine any of these:

- earplugs
- chemicals
- exhaustion

djbionik
03-12-2011, 02:33 PM
combine any of these:

- earplugs
- chemicals
- exhaustion

Serrrriously. I invest in pro earplugs because I have the shittiest roommates that are loud as fuck and one of them has a yappy dog that whines all night right next to my room. I only sleep because I have Valerian root, sometimes self medicate, and work out before I eat dinner so I'm pooped when it's time for bed.

For Coachella though, there is a little trick.. I waited at the gate before getting into the campgrounds to see where they were putting people. When I saw that they were getting close to a quieter spot, I moved in. It's ok to stop by the gate to "wait for friends" or "adjust your stuff". I just watch for a few minutes and have a beer. Unless you don't mind noise, stay away from the west side and south side of lot 8, the east side of lot 10, or the north side of lot 12. The generators make a lot of noise, and so do the showers, and of course, the big main clearing in the middle.
Hope that helps!

nosurprises12
03-12-2011, 02:38 PM
Exhaustion + copious amounts of weed + good earplugs = ZZzzZZzzZZzzzZZzzzz

The above formula allowed me to sleep through the RATM helicopter fiasco a few years ago completely undisturbed. Learn it, live it, love it.

Inthecolumbiagorge
03-12-2011, 02:55 PM
Serrrriously. I invest in pro earplugs because I have the shittiest roommates that are loud as fuck and one of them has a yappy dog that whines all night right next to my room. I only sleep because I have Valerian root, sometimes self medicate, and work out before I eat dinner so I'm pooped when it's time for bed.

For Coachella though, there is a little trick.. I waited at the gate before getting into the campgrounds to see where they were putting people. When I saw that they were getting close to a quieter spot, I moved in. It's ok to stop by the gate to "wait for friends" or "adjust your stuff". I just watch for a few minutes and have a beer. Unless you don't mind noise, stay away from the west side and south side of lot 8, the east side of lot 10, or the north side of lot 12. The generators make a lot of noise, and so do the showers, and of course, the big main clearing in the middle.
Hope that helps!

Now this is a great idea!

Fidoosh
03-12-2011, 03:51 PM
this year im gonna bring xanex... that shit seems to put me out cold when i wanna go to sleep. Take one like 30 min before i wanna go to sleep and BAM...it's morning time.

s0nn3
03-12-2011, 09:45 PM
this year im gonna bring xanex... that shit seems to put me out cold when i wanna go to sleep. Take one like 30 min before i wanna go to sleep and BAM...it's morning time.

Xanax or Soma + beer= ni ni

DaftpunkisWhere
03-13-2011, 12:46 AM
in previous years i've dealt with this by drinking/smoking enough that i can pass out through this sort of crap.

Fixed

frizzlefry
03-13-2011, 01:13 AM
STAY AWAY FROM BASSFACE!!

Media Blitz
03-13-2011, 01:39 AM
Bassface was fine. I don't mind the noise at 4 AM, I mind it at 8 AM.

frizzlefry
03-13-2011, 11:44 AM
I was able to pass out through it but that was due to the heavy amount of intoxicants in my body, others may not be so lucky

ibuprofane
03-13-2011, 12:14 PM
Ambien - and if you hallucinate from it, consider it a bonus.

nosurprises12
03-13-2011, 12:37 PM
Ambien - and if you hallucinate from it, consider it a bonus.

I could see how sleeping pills would be a good idea; however (and I don't mean to sound like someone's Mom here), just be careful about what time you take it and/or where you decide to sleep. Tents get VERY hot quite early in the morning, and if you're on an 8-hour Ambien nap that started at 3 in the morning you may regret not falling asleep in a more ventilated place.

ibuprofane
03-13-2011, 01:10 PM
I could see how sleeping pills would be a good idea; however (and I don't mean to sound like someone's Mom here), just be careful about what time you take it and/or where you decide to sleep. Tents get VERY hot quite early in the morning, and if you're on an 8-hour Ambien nap that started at 3 in the morning you may regret not falling asleep in a more ventilated place.

Yeah, you definitely need to know how you react to it before you try it at Coachella - we don't need anyone sleep-driving around the campground. I only take a half-pill of the regular version (not CR) which is enough to get me to sleep for a few noisy hours, but wake up when I need to (heat, fire, etc.) Also, if you want to sleep, you should go to bed within 15 minutes of taking it, lest you hallucinate for a couple hours.

JustSteve
03-13-2011, 01:14 PM

don't mix that shit with alcohol or recreational drugs, either. no need to heath ledger...

Sonybonez
03-13-2011, 03:49 PM
combine any of these:

- earplugs
- chemicals
- exhaustion

Took a large bottle of earplugs. They were HEAVEN!

Jankypirate
03-14-2011, 06:41 PM
Noise Pollutions is quite simply a part of the Coachella Campground. Best to expect it and be prepared for it as people have said.

:2c

Good ear plugs + Extensive shade over east side of tent.
And bring a tent with lots of ventilation, dont use the rain cover!

That way you can stay up and enjoy the noisy fun, then comfortably sleep in late the next day!