PDA

View Full Version : Ooooerrr... fancy wristbands. Shipping soon as.

Pages : [1] 2

eureka
03-10-2011, 08:44 PM
2011 festival passes coming soon, read about how awesomely new and high tech they are http://bit.ly/fZRLAm

Fin306
03-10-2011, 08:59 PM
Hmmmm....So where can i pick up my Will Call tickets from then?

rage patton
03-10-2011, 09:00 PM
There was no will call option this year.

beeerplease
03-10-2011, 09:01 PM
Haha. Where's the Snapper?

alpez03
03-10-2011, 09:02 PM
These two:

• Police check points will vary from one quarter mile to one mile outside of the festival perimeter. Please have your wristbands properly applied on your wrist prior to your departure to the festival.

• You cannot pass through the police vehicle checkpoints without your wristband properly applied on your wrist

WhyTheLongFace
03-10-2011, 09:06 PM
LOL at someone who real accidentally put it on their left wrist

Fin306
03-10-2011, 09:09 PM
There was no will call option this year.

There is...Have to email them though, Frontgate confirmed there is Will Call but the details section on the Coachella website just says the location is TBA

choice cat
03-10-2011, 09:11 PM
No mistakes allowed at coachella 2011

n3glect
03-10-2011, 09:14 PM
Will call is tenatively scheduled for the Tennis Gardens

Duvel
03-10-2011, 09:19 PM
Will call is tenatively scheduled for the Tennis Gardens

where?

JustSteve
03-10-2011, 09:21 PM
off of washington ave. past hwy 111. it was used for artist/guestlist pick up a couple years ago.

but no use worrying about where it is until official word comes down from the top.

blackchango
03-10-2011, 09:34 PM
What if you have no upper extremities?

Shooters08
03-10-2011, 10:37 PM
No mistakes allowed at coachella 2011

at your own peril. are they gonna shoot people on site that don't have their wristbands on?

clumsy342
03-10-2011, 10:52 PM
god, i hope so

sleepybrew
03-10-2011, 10:53 PM
Cool. Hopefully fewer sneak-ins.

Although now even more obstacles, lines, checkpoints, etc. so trying to camp as a large group gets even more difficult. I really do like the added security measures, but I wish there was a way to make it slightly easier for groups arriving from different places to camp together. Trust me, I understand the logistical problems. But perhaps a pre-determined camping spot where you pay per person and have a guaranteed size spot? I don't know I'm thinking as I'm typing this which is probably not a good idea.

luckyface
03-10-2011, 11:05 PM
These two:

• Police check points will vary from one quarter mile to one mile outside of the festival perimeter. Please have your wristbands properly applied on your wrist prior to your departure to the festival.

• You cannot pass through the police vehicle checkpoints without your wristband properly applied on your wrist

Fucking stupidest rule ever. I can't wait to hear the nightmare stories about traffic due to the checkpoints.

JustSteve
03-10-2011, 11:11 PM
if everyone has their wristbands on it shouldn't be too much of a problem. guessing it will be like the checkpoint between sd and oc on the 5. roll right through as long as everything looks legit. if there are issues you will probably have to blame the ones in the cars who are unable to follow basic instructions about how to put a wristband on.

isn't traffic usually flowing pretty slowly anyway once you get that close to the festival?

Robin
03-10-2011, 11:13 PM
What if you have no upper extremities?

Only people with a right wrist are allowed in the festival.

rage patton
03-10-2011, 11:17 PM
Fucking stupidest rule ever. I can't wait to hear the nightmare stories about traffic due to the checkpoints.

Like I said in another thread, did you go to the festival in 2010? Anyone who went to the festival last year should be extremely thankful these rules are being put in place.

clumsy342
03-10-2011, 11:17 PM
If you DO NOT HAVE a RIGHT ARM you WILL be SHOT ON SIGHT!

also I agree, rage. I'm wondering though, this means we never have to show tickets? Just wristbands?
So, their stupid ticket scanners don't get fucked up again and leave people standing there for hours, waiting to get into the festival?

guedita
03-10-2011, 11:19 PM
I'm so happy I started a Rent-A-Rightie business.

JustSteve
03-10-2011, 11:21 PM
If you DO NOT HAVE a RIGHT ARM you WILL be SHOT ON SIGHT!

also I agree, rage. I'm wondering though, this means we never have to show tickets? Just wristbands?
So, their stupid ticket scanners don't get fucked up again and leave people standing there for hours, waiting to get into the festival?

there are no tickets. and wristbands have chips in them which will probably be scanned.

clumsy342
03-10-2011, 11:22 PM
I'm so happy I started a Rent-A-Rightie business.

so is this guy..
http://www.themercury.com.au/images/uploadedfiles/editorial/pictures/2009/02/13/arm1.jpg

clumsy342
03-10-2011, 11:23 PM
ah shit. you're right

Tjzoo
03-11-2011, 12:29 AM
Fancy Indeed...
Read this

RFID stands for Radio-Frequency Identification. It is a means to track and inventory items without the hassle of scanning a barcode. When the tag is passed through an interrogation zone, the area where the readers and antennas interact with the tag, it will automatically be powered up and read regardless of tag orientation. The information from the tag will automatically be sent through the reader to a computer where the information will be decoded. The tags can contain many different kinds of information. They can consist of just a number, or full text describing the object that the tag has been placed on and when this item was in use. The information is automatically tracked by a computer inventory program, which saves you the time of doing an inventory by hand. Netc N·VISION RFID tags can contain up to 56 alphanumeric characters in addition to the VolSer.

eureka
03-11-2011, 12:35 AM
Looks like the Roo is using them as well this year http://therfidiva.com/2011/03/03/bonnaroo-using-rfid-wristbands/ being able to pay for stuff with one sounds interesting - but I'd want to get back any remaining credit that I hadn't spent at the end of the fest.

"You will know the purchaser’s gender, age, where they are from, as well as knowing exactly when and what they purchased throughout the festival and for how much, in addition to tracking their every move throughout the festival. This data itself could be sold to marketers for tons of cash."

Hmmm....

Tjzoo
03-11-2011, 12:44 AM
How would this work tough? Will you have to register it once you have it? Im Very Intrigued

eureka
03-11-2011, 12:53 AM
Just remembering... they had a pre-paid card system (AWOP) at Rhythm & Vines in NZ. Not for tickets, just food, booze & merch. You just went in and topped them up with cash, then scanned them at the counter. I'm guessing it'd work a bit like that but in a wristband?

Tjzoo
03-11-2011, 12:55 AM
I guess that could work

Radiohead
03-11-2011, 01:05 AM
I'm just surprised at the number of grammatical errors on that page. You'd think that they would proofread.

Stickjohn
03-11-2011, 01:07 AM
I thought the text margins were a little wide.

edit: Where did you get the "Shipping soon as" part? I didn't see a reference to a date. Just curious.

eureka
03-11-2011, 01:12 AM
I don't like Verdana.

eureka
03-11-2011, 01:20 AM
Good question, had to think about it for a sec... the Facebook & Twitter updates say "2011 festival passes coming soon, read about how awesomely new and high tech they are" - no idea when said soon is tho.

Tjzoo
03-11-2011, 01:30 AM
How bout soon as in "they better hurry the fuck up cause im getting impatient" soon

Sigur Ros Stache
03-11-2011, 04:20 AM
Yes, im happy of the precautions put in place but as someone mentioned the scanner malfunction last year? After the first day my band no longer scanned at all.

bigbolton
03-11-2011, 05:31 AM
Just remembering... they had a pre-paid card system (AWOP) at Rhythm & Vines in NZ. Not for tickets, just food, booze & merch. You just went in and topped them up with cash, then scanned them at the counter. I'm guessing it'd work a bit like that but in a wristband?

Yes, they have a system like this at this chain of hotels/water parks called Great Wolf Lodge. Your wristband is linked to your credit card, so everything you want to pay for inside the place can be purchased by scanning the wristband. In a place like that, it's great because you don't have to carry around your cash and credit cards and worry about losing them on a waterslide or getting them wet. The wristbands are also your room key, if I remember correctly. My favorite part was that they worked in the hotel bars, too.

Anyway, I'm guessing that Coachella will not take this technology to the Great Wolf Lodge extreme this year, but it would be kind of great to be able to set up your wristband ahead of time so that you could use it for purchases inside the festival. Would just eliminate that (for me) once-a-day panic that I dropped my cash. But this is probably just the first step toward such a system at Coachella, and should eliminate the ridiculous lines from last year. I definitely like the idea of being "in" once you've gone through the checkpoint. We'll see.

shotglass75
03-11-2011, 06:50 AM
Or they could have just used a system where everyone who buys a ticket must submit a photo for that ticket and only the person who's image is on the ticket is allowed into the fest to receive their 3 day pass.

Ladies and gentlemen, this is going to be one of the biggest cluster fucks you have ever witnessed for people trying to get to a festival. You thought traffic was bad before, fuck that. This is going to be insane. You are going to have lines starting so far back on the interstate for this one.

loubque
03-11-2011, 07:41 AM
Ladies and gentlemen, this is going to be one of the biggest cluster fucks you have ever witnessed for people trying to get to a festival. You thought traffic was bad before, fuck that. This is going to be insane. You are going to have lines starting so far back on the interstate for this one.

I think you are overstating this. I think people here blow so much out of proportion. I just dont see how really this is different than any other year.

rskapcat
03-11-2011, 07:51 AM
Jesus. "I don't like people sneaking in! But I don't want to be inconvenienced in any way in order to prevent that!" Get there earlier, you lazy shits. Problem solved. Quit whining.

Fourthisto
03-11-2011, 07:58 AM
Quit whining.It's only just begun, unfortunately. Just wait til the schedules hit. :nono

shotglass75
03-11-2011, 08:05 AM
I think you are overstating this. I think people here blow so much out of proportion. I just dont see how really this is different than any other year.

You may be right. Backing up traffic a mile away from the fest to check everyone's wristband in the car for the first time ever probably won't have any additional headaches. Plus, I'd imagine it'll be smooth sailing into the parking lots. The fact that they will need to check everyone's car for wristbands all three days probably won't be as annoying either. And don't forget those people who are on bikes or walking or trying to hop a fence or something. I'm sure the cops will just let them slide.

In my opinion, it is a really bad idea and waste of money for additional check points and security. Why not put the security measures in place prior to buying the tickets so you won't have to do something as extravagant as these check points?

I had a a whole thread about this a few months ago.
http://www.coachella.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44864&highlight=scalpers

And for the record, I get to the house we rented on Wed and will walk 20 minutes to get into the fest. I'm not worried about me.

luckyface
03-11-2011, 08:59 AM
Like I said in another thread, did you go to the festival in 2010? Anyone who went to the festival last year should be extremely thankful these rules are being put in place.

I did. And it was awful. But you are just compounding the already horrific traffic problems and making it a lot worse. And you are doing this every single day of the festival. How are they going to verify what is a real wristband and what is a fake? This really doesn't solve a whole lot. Are the police checkpoints going to be scanning the wristbands too? This has giant clusterfuck written all over it. And after last year, I can't rely on "Goldenvoice knows what they are doing" as a defense.

Thank God I am doing a shuttle.

Fresh prince of Coachella
03-11-2011, 09:05 AM
I'm sneaking Hare Krishnas in my trunk. Fuck the cops.

Dustin da DnB Soulja
03-11-2011, 09:06 AM
Lol @ the person who customizes their wristband.

and who's down to get someone so smashed and that we can get them to put their wristband on wrong?

M Sparks
03-11-2011, 09:22 AM
2011 festival passes coming soon, read about how awesomely new and high tech they are http://bit.ly/fZRLAm

Was it really necessary to truncate this?
http://coachella.com/tickets

M Sparks
03-11-2011, 09:24 AM
Lol @ the person who customizes their wristband.

Someone needs to alert Feather.

JustSteve
03-11-2011, 09:28 AM
Was it really necessary to truncate this?
http://coachella.com/tickets

that was the link that came via twitter, think all their links are like that.

JustSteve
03-11-2011, 09:30 AM
You may be right. Backing up traffic a mile away from the fest to check everyone's wristband in the car for the first time ever probably won't have any additional headaches.

i mentioned it earlier, isn't traffic backed up that far anyway for most of the day? so will it really be any different than the norm? now there will just be cops standing in the road verifying all is legit.

luckyface
03-11-2011, 09:44 AM
i mentioned it earlier, isn't traffic backed up that far anyway for most of the day? so will it really be any different than the norm? now there will just be cops standing in the road verifying all is legit.

Usually traffic is a lot worse on Friday. Now it is guaranteed all days will be awful.

And another question: are they going to be doing car searches to make sure no one is hiding on the floor, in the trunk, in the truck bed, etc? If they do, that will add even more time.

loubque
03-11-2011, 09:52 AM
Usually traffic is a lot worse on Friday. Now it is guaranteed all days will be awful.

And another question: are they going to be doing car searches to make sure no one is hiding on the floor, in the trunk, in the truck bed, etc? If they do, that will add even more time.

How can it be guaranteed? It hasnt happened yet so that is quite a big statement. People said getting last year would be awful, it was the most painless experience. I was check in in 20 minutes.

furnace
03-11-2011, 10:02 AM
The traffic debacle is the sole reason why I'm going bike gang at this Coachella.

Dustin da DnB Soulja
03-11-2011, 10:02 AM

Glowpaint wristband won't fly this year!

weareyourfriends
03-11-2011, 10:07 AM
http://coachella.com/images/WB_IPD.png

I like how they threw in a gray palm tree to signify Coachellaness.

Newro7ic
03-11-2011, 10:07 AM
I don't see how traffic will be worse. If you drive up via the main drag, you're already just sitting around. Now you're just sitting around with someone walking by and asking to see your wrist band.

Maybe I am overestimating the human races ability to raise their arms for a wrist band check, but I don't see it being a major issue. The biggest issue will be on Friday, just like it is every year. New staff, and the idiots being told to put their wrist bands on. After that, it should be fine.

Seems pretty normal to me. I'll be on a shuttle, anyhow. So, you all have fun with that.

Fourthisto
03-11-2011, 10:08 AM
I'm sneaking Hare Krishnas in my trunk. Fuck the cops.

Oh yeah? Well I'm sneaking cops in my truck. Fuck the Hare Krishnas.

NachoCat
03-11-2011, 10:12 AM

lol - spot on

Dustin da DnB Soulja
03-11-2011, 10:15 AM
It will be mad traffic til you hit the check point then probably no traffic. They are pushing the clusterfuck traffic back because of the perimeter, but once inside it shouldn't be bad. Can it really get that much worse than last years traffic?

andrew86
03-11-2011, 10:54 AM
Is traffic typically that bad on thursday?

jokerfit
03-11-2011, 11:45 AM

And the guy in the car is throwing out the peace ahahahaha

PlayaDelWes
03-11-2011, 11:48 AM
^with a Black Panther at the wheel no less

JustSteve
03-11-2011, 11:51 AM
that car needs to pick a fuckin' lane.

Harrisment
03-11-2011, 11:54 AM

Dude just ate a shitload of LSD, give him a break.

Fourthisto
03-11-2011, 11:56 AM
^with a Black Panther at the wheel no less
I don't think that's a true Black Panther. How can I tell? The cop isn't pulling them over. :nono

PlayaDelWes
03-11-2011, 11:57 AM
Last I checked, cops don't drive hatchbacks.

Wheres the beef?
03-11-2011, 11:57 AM
That means you probably don't need to abide by anything on that page then. Good work!

Fourthisto
03-11-2011, 12:10 PM
Last I checked, cops don't drive hatchbacks.Oh crap, it's one of those constantly-circling-the-parking-lots mall cops, then? Damn, he's going to bust me for all the ketchup packets I stole from the food court, I just KNOW it! :eek: !

gmoneyak
03-11-2011, 12:22 PM
A lot of complainers on here. You're going to be waiting in line, one way or another, every year at Coachella anyways. This shit never fazes me once I get to the Polo Fields, it's inevitable.

Wait until the new festival map comes out, plan your route ahead of time, take the back roads and park at the far lots. You'll be walking farther, but avoiding the most traffic day and night.

artisticcreator
03-11-2011, 12:26 PM
I feel like Big Brother will be watching me. They know what wristband they are sending me. Now they will know when I go in each time. I wouldn't be surprised if they record your entry in to the toilets. Demographics at work!

Hopefully everyone will put away the beer, liquor and drugs until they get through the police lines. What a good reason to stop and look at everyone!

runaway_dreamer
03-11-2011, 12:28 PM

:rotfl

bobert
03-11-2011, 12:59 PM

Or they could have just used a system where everyone who buys a ticket must submit a photo for that ticket and only the person who's image is on the ticket is allowed into the fest to receive their 3 day pass.

You may be right. Backing up traffic a mile away from the fest to check everyone's wristband in the car for the first time ever probably won't have any additional headaches. Plus, I'd imagine it'll be smooth sailing into the parking lots. The fact that they will need to check everyone's car for wristbands all three days probably won't be as annoying either. And don't forget those people who are on bikes or walking or trying to hop a fence or something. I'm sure the cops will just let them slide.

In my opinion, it is a really bad idea and waste of money for additional check points and security. Why not put the security measures in place prior to buying the tickets so you won't have to do something as extravagant as these check points?

I had a a whole thread about this a few months ago.
http://www.coachella.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44864&highlight=scalpers

And for the record, I get to the house we rented on Wed and will walk 20 minutes to get into the fest. I'm not worried about me.

I did. And it was awful. But you are just compounding the already horrific traffic problems and making it a lot worse. And you are doing this every single day of the festival. How are they going to verify what is a real wristband and what is a fake? This really doesn't solve a whole lot. Are the police checkpoints going to be scanning the wristbands too? This has giant clusterfuck written all over it. And after last year, I can't rely on "Goldenvoice knows what they are doing" as a defense.

Thank God I am doing a shuttle.

http://www.daytondui.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/Lapel-Pin-Check-Point-file1.jpg
http://www.zannel.com/webservices/content/WW4HK/Image-568x758-JPG.jpg
http://www.newworldorderwar.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/canopus.jpg

Robin
03-11-2011, 01:04 PM
http://www.zannel.com/webservices/content/WW4HK/Image-568x758-JPG.jpg

As a Red Sox fan, this picture almost made me punch my computer screen.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
03-11-2011, 01:05 PM
I'm sure my girlfriend will have the same reaction. She's from boston and seriously wants to kill every Yankees fan she comes across.

M Sparks
03-11-2011, 01:06 PM
Last I checked, cops don't drive hatchbacks.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1d/British.police.car.1.arp.750pix.jpg
http://www.drivearabia.com/news/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/seat-leon-cupra-police-1-450.jpg
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/11/13371922_a0405d1c50.jpg

BTW...if you Google Image "Indio Police", this is the first image.
http://animalnewyork.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/coachella-taser-lgphotogra3-41-700x467.jpg

thetello
03-11-2011, 01:07 PM

bobert
03-11-2011, 01:09 PM

That's what google spits out when you search for images of "end of the world." Of course, by the third week of April it will just be pictures of people sitting in Indio traffic in the sweltering heat, lines stretched for miles upon miles, bloated corpses with fancy Coachella wristbands on their rotten limbs. You know, real end of the world type stuff.

brfilora
03-11-2011, 01:13 PM
MSparks: This is Amurica. All those hatchbacks are in European countries.

Coachella Bound
03-11-2011, 01:17 PM
BTW...if you Google Image "Indio Police", this is the first image.
http://animalnewyork.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/coachella-taser-lgphotogra3-41-700x467.jpg

new avatar

thetello
03-11-2011, 01:21 PM
thus begins the phillies portion of this countdown.

http://smilele.com/upimages/Jerseys/MLB%20Jerseys/Philadelphia%20Phillies/MLB%20Philadelphia%20Phillies%2035%20Cole%20Hamels %20Cream%20Jersey.jpg

Trick Loves The Kids
03-11-2011, 01:22 PM

cool man, tell us more about how your allegiance to one specific corporate sports team inspires violent behavior

Coachella Bound
03-11-2011, 01:22 PM
thus begins the phillies portion of this countdown.

http://smilele.com/upimages/Jerseys/MLB%20Jerseys/Philadelphia%20Phillies/MLB%20Philadelphia%20Phillies%2035%20Cole%20Hamels %20Cream%20Jersey.jpg

on my fantasy team. im a braves fan so it takes a lot for me to pick up a philly. never a met.....

thetello
03-11-2011, 01:29 PM
ouch... i'm a phillies/red sox fan (raised a phillies fan, born a red sox fan)

however:
http://www.cheesesteaktees.com/product_images/s/327/CST-BS_muckFets_full__38698_thumb.jpg

Trick Loves The Kids
03-11-2011, 01:32 PM
Wow interesting choices guys. For me, I'm a fan of the team whose stadium was closest to the house where I grew up. They're just my favorite team, what can I say.

Coachella Bound
03-11-2011, 01:37 PM
cant handle the angels... ill go to games cause i love baseball but the fans bug the shit outa me.

dilfpot
03-11-2011, 02:16 PM
that road is obviously not wide enough, either that or a couple of giants will be attending coachella this year.

Panda421
03-11-2011, 02:25 PM
ouch... i'm a phillies/red sox fan (raised a phillies fan, born a red sox fan)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/d/d1/Billbuckner.jpg/180px-Billbuckner.jpg

psychic friend
03-11-2011, 02:29 PM
im curious if people complained this much about bonnaroo having RFID wristbands for 2011 as well. or is it only coachella haters?

yeahfontaine
03-11-2011, 02:30 PM
Drivers, picture this: Stop and go traffic with your arm up in the air and off the wheel, likely feelin' good on something already, the usual jockeying for lane position, and your friends screaming in your ear to crank up the tunes. This has potential to become one seriously rousing game of bumpercars.

Glad I'm biking in!

Hey, though...wait...oh shit I'm screwed.

Dustin da DnB Soulja
03-11-2011, 02:31 PM
im curious if people complained this much about bonnaroo having RFID wristbands for 2011 as well. or is it only coachella haters?

This is hilarious, bonaroo are probably lame and not making these hilarious jokes.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
03-11-2011, 02:31 PM
Is anybody complaining about the wristbands themselves, or just the cop situation? Did Roo have the same checkpoint rule?

Like others have said, i'm assuming it going to be more driving through with your hands out the window and less actual stopping of cars

thetello
03-11-2011, 02:34 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/d/d1/Billbuckner.jpg/180px-Billbuckner.jpg

have at it. buckner was before my time.

http://chzupnextinsports.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/funny-sports-pictures-jest-fans.jpg

artisticcreator
They aren't trying to control access to the festival.

They are controlling who gets into the area to rifle through the campers tents and who gets to sell the drugs and beer to underage drinkers! What a business!

I'm bummed, because now it will be harder to buy unofficial parking lot t-shirts.

Dustin da DnB Soulja
Is anybody complaining about the wristbands themselves, or just the cop situation? Did Roo have the same checkpoint rule?

Like others have said, i'm assuming it going to be more driving through with your hands out the window and less actual stopping of cars

I don't think anyone is hating on the wristbands, this thread is just jokes on the picture and the traffic that has a potential to be a nightmare.

HandBanana
03-11-2011, 02:43 PM
http://i.imgur.com/YdIgD.jpg

shotglass75
03-11-2011, 02:49 PM
The thing with Bonnaroo is that everybody there camps for all three days. When the night is over, 99.99 % of people walk to their tent. Plus they don't check wristbands a mile away from the fest (for VIP they do), they check when you are pulling up. Having to deal with traffic for 3 days straight is a pain for people. (glad I'm walking)

I think the thing that makes this seem like a bad idea is that it security had a rough time monitoring just the polo fields and surrounding streets last year. Now they are going to check every single car and every single person walking or riding a bike within a square mile radius of the fest? It seems impossible to do. Are the people who live in Indio who are not going to the fest required to wear a bracelet so they can get home or to work?

Why not put security measures into place with the ticket sales first, making sure only those who buy the tickets are allowed into the fest? The amount of money that it would take to set up a system where the buyer provides a photo to be printed on their ticket has to be way less expensive then hiring security to monitor a square mile radius of the fest for 3 days.

psychic friend
03-11-2011, 03:19 PM
it sure would be nice if people who did not have passes did not come.

dontpanic
03-11-2011, 03:26 PM

hey dani do you know if we can preload our wristbands with cash?
or is that right reserved for bonnaroo?

koryp
03-11-2011, 03:26 PM

Thanks Pollyanna ;)

Dustin da DnB Soulja
03-11-2011, 03:32 PM
hey dani do you know if we can preload our wristbands with cash?
or is that right reserved for bonnaroo?

Bonaroo. That's why we all have to bring cash bro.

BeeII
03-11-2011, 03:32 PM

i like how the driver is doing the black power fist in the air to the cop.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
03-11-2011, 03:33 PM
you're not the first person to say that.

Jakewc151
03-11-2011, 03:40 PM
I see the reason for all of these security changes, but it kinda sucks for me as I always carpool in with friends who live in the area, but aren't necessairly going to the show and so this means I will have to walk a mile to/from the fest each day just to get in and out.. Doesn't sound like a lot but if it's 110 on Friday I am going to be pissed.

bobert
03-11-2011, 03:40 PM
The thing with Bonnaroo is that everybody there camps for all three days. When the night is over, 99.99 % of people walk to their tent. Plus they don't check wristbands a mile away from the fest (for VIP they do), they check when you are pulling up. Having to deal with traffic for 3 days straight is a pain for people. (glad I'm walking)

I think the thing that makes this seem like a bad idea is that it security had a rough time monitoring just the polo fields and surrounding streets last year. Now they are going to check every single car and every single person walking or riding a bike within a square mile radius of the fest? It seems impossible to do. Are the people who live in Indio who are not going to the fest required to wear a bracelet so they can get home or to work?

Why not put security measures into place with the ticket sales first, making sure only those who buy the tickets are allowed into the fest? The amount of money that it would take to set up a system where the buyer provides a photo to be printed on their ticket has to be way less expensive then hiring security to monitor a square mile radius of the fest for 3 days.

Oh my God, oh my God, you're right it will never work!! Everyone who thinks this is the dumbest idea ever raise your right hand while driving through the checkpoint. I hope you accidentally put your wristband on your left hand you fucking child.

BeeII
03-11-2011, 03:46 PM
FWIW i'd rather wear it on my left wrist than my right, i don't ever wear any jewelery or watches, etc on my right wrist. oh well.

aesop2020
03-11-2011, 03:52 PM
man, i have never been more concerned about how I put a wrist band on. okay okay, steady......, tighten the thingy, annnnnd done...whooo thank God...

whatevz, I like this idea. I mean, knowing where I am at all times is a little wierd as is paying for shit with it but im all for it...

bobert
03-11-2011, 03:53 PM
FWIW i'd rather wear it on my left wrist than my right, i don't ever wear any jewelery or watches, etc on my right wrist. oh well.

Well the two men in the picture clearly have their wristbands on their left hand. Whether thats cool with the police is kind of hard to tell from the illustration.

BeeII
03-11-2011, 03:54 PM
Well the two men in the picture clearly have their wristbands on their left hand. Whether thats cool with the police is kind of hard to tell from the illustration.

umm, it looks like it's on their right hand wrist, but what do i know?

BeeII
03-11-2011, 03:55 PM
and when do the checkpoints start? I'm coming in on wednesday into town and i'd rather not have to put it on until friday.

bobert
03-11-2011, 03:55 PM
umm, it looks like it's on their right hand wrist, but what do i know?

Yeah, you're right. Thought I was looking at the back of their car, not the front. Proceed.

shotglass75
03-11-2011, 04:00 PM

In a perfect world.

Shooters08
03-11-2011, 04:42 PM
how are the residents getting through? that was a good point brought up earlier. Do they have to show their id's to get home? Thank god i'm in a shuttle this year!

BeeII
03-11-2011, 04:47 PM
how are the residents getting through? that was a good point brought up earlier. Do they have to show their id's to get home? Thank god i'm in a shuttle this year!

probably.

I'm getting in on wednesday, I hope to park at the house i'm staying at and not leaving until monday.

bigbolton
03-11-2011, 05:13 PM

Holy shit, have any of you been to Bonnaroo? Sure everyone is camping, which means that everyone is driving. And how does Bonnaroo deal with that? By putting every single fucking car in a single file line on the shoulder of a big, barely used highway. So when you cruise on up there, you pull over and look at one car every fifteen minutes fly by while you roast your ass in the Tennessee sun, sitting on the shoulder of an unused highway that Bonnaroo and the local authorities could not figure out how to put to better use to get people onto the festival grounds. Nothing Coachella does comes close to the insultingly bad way in which Bonnaroo handles their traffic (or at least how they handled it in 2008). Took me over four hours to move two miles. And - off topic - once you're actually in at Roo, there are no mountains, no palm trees, and no Sahara tent. Oh, and the food is terrible compared to Coachella.

psychic friend
03-11-2011, 05:16 PM
http://angels.ocregister.com/files/2010/06/mr.-burns.jpg

BeeII
03-11-2011, 05:18 PM
btw if coachella ever goes full RFID for storing cash and making purchases in-festival, it will be a hacker's wet dream.

1. bring RFID reader
2. clone RFID numbers
3. ????
4. Profit!!!

grenade
03-11-2011, 05:23 PM
Police border- fuck yes

the goat
03-11-2011, 07:16 PM

You win the Least Convincing Argument award.

LiquidL
03-11-2011, 09:29 PM
btw if coachella ever goes full RFID for storing cash and making purchases in-festival, it will be a hacker's wet dream.

1. bring RFID reader
2. clone RFID numbers
3. ????
4. Profit!!!

If RFID was so easily hackable, it wouldn't even come up as a solution. It's not. Hacking is not like they show in Hollywood - it's a lot harder.

LiquidL
03-11-2011, 09:31 PM
whatevz, I like this idea. I mean, knowing where I am at all times is a little wierd as is paying for shit with it but im all for it...

Sorry bro, you are confusing RFID with GPS. RFID is only for ID'ing - it's totally passive.

baily
03-11-2011, 10:06 PM
I like the idea of having credit card connected to the wrist band. No worrying about being messed up and dropping my cash. Credit card transactions are all verified so in the unlikely case of a hacker a simple dispute gets your money back.

Stickjohn
03-11-2011, 10:13 PM
Anyone hear the rumor about heightened security because of secret special attendees this year?

TheRotten42
03-11-2011, 10:30 PM
Anyone hear the rumor about heightened security because of secret special attendees this year?

http://blog.muchmusic.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/bieber2.jpg

Blinken
03-11-2011, 10:39 PM
Wasn't the tag on last year's wristbands a RFID? Mine stopped working by the end of Friday so all weekend they had to double check my wristband and give me shit each time I tried to enter the fest. I hope they are getting better tags, because broken ones could easily holdup the daily traffic.

the goat
03-12-2011, 12:15 AM

It sure would be nice if people didn't fly planes into buildings, but just because they have done so in the past doesn't mean I should get stripsearched every time I fly to Duluth.

Bumblebee
03-12-2011, 03:35 AM

Is it Richard M. Nixon's cat "Checkers"?

All this security has more to do with GV following the crowd control/capacity rules they promised the city of Indio.

BTW, will the government put your name on a watchlist if you buy too many munchees with your credit card wristband?

homycraz2
03-12-2011, 03:54 AM
If RFID was so easily hackable, it wouldn't even come up as a solution. It's not. Hacking is not like they show in Hollywood - it's a lot harder.

Hacking RFID is about as difficult as hacking WEP.

The most difficult part is reprogramming the wristbands with a spoofed RFID.

shotglass75
03-12-2011, 09:19 AM
Holy shit, have any of you been to Bonnaroo? Sure everyone is camping, which means that everyone is driving. And how does Bonnaroo deal with that? By putting every single fucking car in a single file line on the shoulder of a big, barely used highway. So when you cruise on up there, you pull over and look at one car every fifteen minutes fly by while you roast your ass in the Tennessee sun, sitting on the shoulder of an unused highway that Bonnaroo and the local authorities could not figure out how to put to better use to get people onto the festival grounds. Nothing Coachella does comes close to the insultingly bad way in which Bonnaroo handles their traffic (or at least how they handled it in 2008). Took me over four hours to move two miles. And - off topic - once you're actually in at Roo, there are no mountains, no palm trees, and no Sahara tent. Oh, and the food is terrible compared to Coachella.

I've been to Bonnaroo 4 times. It's a great fest. It's no Coachella. But Coachella is no Roo either. Each fest is different and great for their own reasons. And I wasn't the one who wasn't comparing Roo to Coachella. I was responding to a post that brought it up. The traffic does indeed blow at Roo, but this isn't about Roo. This is about Coachella. And I'll stand by my statement that putting security measures into place prior to selling the tickets seems like a much better way to prevent people without tickets from crashing the fest than setting up a square mile radius of security check points checking every single person and car for a wristband.

And - off topic - Coachella doesn't have 4 hour sets or 2.5 hour sub headliner sets, or late night sets until sunrise, or nearly as many artist collaborations as Roo. Each fest has pros and cons and I look forward to going to both this year.

Coachella Bound
03-12-2011, 10:10 AM
send me my fucking wristband please thankyou...!!!

Sigur Ros Stache
03-12-2011, 10:18 AM
ummmm, if you really hate traffic might I suggest experiencing the fest right when the gates open at 11? Driving in is a breeze and the fields before they are packed are AWESOME! Just a thought...

frozen pilgrim
03-12-2011, 10:20 AM
all the people who complain about traffic are the people who show up mid afternoon, don't camp, etc. do this thing right and none of that shit's an issue. camp. or at the very least show up early.

yeahfontaine
03-12-2011, 10:26 AM
Indeed.

luckyface
03-12-2011, 12:01 PM
all the people who complain about traffic are the people who show up mid afternoon, don't camp, etc. do this thing right and none of that shit's an issue. camp. or at the very least show up early.

Didn't people wait in 8+ hour lines to get into camping last year?

Also, leaving at 12:30 PM is hardly mid-afternoon.

frozen pilgrim
03-12-2011, 12:04 PM
I waited a couple hours to get into camping. once. and frankly, I think leaving at 12:30 is too late. if you're going to something that starts at 12, and there's thousands of other people going, it stands to reason that any logical intelligent person would leave EARLIER.

JustSteve
03-12-2011, 12:19 PM
Wasn't the tag on last year's wristbands a RFID? Mine stopped working by the end of Friday so all weekend they had to double check my wristband and give me shit each time I tried to enter the fest. I hope they are getting better tags, because broken ones could easily holdup the daily traffic.

looks to me like this version mentioned in the bonnaroo article has the chip in the slide lock:

http://rfidiva.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/phpevu9af.jpg

Coachella Bound
03-12-2011, 12:19 PM
they opened the campgrounds later than expected last year....

took about an hour and a half to get through. not bad for a first attempt

BeeII
03-12-2011, 01:41 PM

i'm not talking about hacking the RFID chip, but rather cloning it, and THAT is VERY straightforward.

And I know hacking is not like the movies ;)

BeeII
03-12-2011, 01:45 PM
Hacking RFID is about as difficult as hacking WEP.

The most difficult part is reprogramming the wristbands with a spoofed RFID.

you just get another RFID chip and program the info you gleaned off an existing RFID chip you passively sniffed.

Of course this wouldn't work if 2 factor authentication were used. Like say if your wristband acted as a debit acct, then the sensible thing (to prevent this kind of tomfoolery) would be to require ID and match the info on the chip to the ID. or require a you to enter a PIN (something you have, the wristband, and something you know, the PIN).

luckyface
03-12-2011, 02:31 PM
I waited a couple hours to get into camping. once. and frankly, I think leaving at 12:30 is too late. if you're going to something that starts at 12, and there's thousands of other people going, it stands to reason that any logical intelligent person would leave EARLIER.

I obviously got there earlier the other days, dude. But on Friday, when in the past I was able to show up at 2:30- 3:00 PM without a problem, I honestly expected to be able to walk right in like I had the previous three years. No one told us they upped capacity by 15,000 people, thus increasing the traffic disaster and causing 2.5 hours of traffic plus 2+ hours of waiting to get into the venue. Please stop trying to act like I am an amateur here. Thanks.

susieq70
03-12-2011, 02:38 PM
so is this guy..
http://www.themercury.com.au/images/uploadedfiles/editorial/pictures/2009/02/13/arm1.jpg
haha that's fucking great...is that insensitive of me? hhmmm...hahahaha

Stickjohn
03-12-2011, 02:45 PM
My wait to get into car camping around 9 pm was less than a leisurely six-pack. It was a good time.

brfilora
03-14-2011, 11:53 AM
Didn't people wait in 8+ hour lines to get into camping last year?

We arrived at the polo fields around 5:30p.m. on Thursday of last year. Were fully set up and partying at bassface by 8:00pm.

EDIT: Arriving at this time also got us a campsite no more than 150 yards from the ferris wheel entrance.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
03-14-2011, 11:56 AM
looks to me like this version mentioned in the bonnaroo article has the chip in the slide lock:

http://rfidiva.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/phpevu9af.jpg

How heavy is something like that? It looks rather clunky to wear that for 24 hours/day and not be able to take it off when sleeping/boning/showering, etc...and the little box thingie doesn't get messed up by water?

Antoine3323
03-14-2011, 02:16 PM
Yea, Im worried about it being waterproof more than anything. If its not, thatll cause a lot of problems

nationocean
03-14-2011, 03:54 PM
I WANT MY WRISTBAND!!!!!!!!!!!

BeeII
03-14-2011, 04:01 PM
I WANT MY WRISTBAND!!!!!!!!!!!

same here, where's our wristbands? how about a tracking number?

thefrush
03-14-2011, 04:16 PM
Yea, Im worried about it being waterproof more than anything. If its not, thatll cause a lot of problems

Something tells me they're bright enough to not give us a wristband that can't hang with what a 3-day festival entails.

cjamesgo8421
03-14-2011, 04:56 PM
this wristband looks huge...

http://rfidiva.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/phpevu9af.jpg[/QUOTE]

BeeII
03-14-2011, 05:02 PM
Something tells me they're bright enough to not give us a wristband that can't hang with what a 3-day festival entails.

you must be new here.

last year the RFID equipped bands lasted one day and lead to clusterfuckchella.

crazzz2007
03-14-2011, 05:54 PM

well, if everyone shows up early, there will be traffic early. right?

also, the same thing can be said for those who say "you should have bought your tickets when they went on sale. tough luck you missed out on tickets." Again, if everyone tried to buy tickets as soon as they went on sale, the same number of people would still be shit out of luck.

ambient sounds
03-14-2011, 06:21 PM
^ A person of logic has emerged :dumbo . The world needs dumbasses for things to work sometimes.

Bumblebee
03-14-2011, 07:30 PM
How heavy is something like that? It looks rather clunky to wear that for 24 hours/day and not be able to take it off when sleeping/boning/showering, etc...and the little box thingie doesn't get messed up by water?

I'm wondering someone puts their wristband on before boarding a plane and the FDA make you take the wristband off to get thru security. Depending on the number of metal parts inside, if any.

thewoodenman
03-14-2011, 07:33 PM
that's why you shouldn't put it on before getting on a plane.. but i don't think anyone had any problems flying back home with them still on last year.

thefrush
03-14-2011, 08:04 PM
you must be new here.

last year the RFID equipped bands lasted one day and lead to clusterfuckchella.

Mine worked fine throughout the duration of the festival, thanks.

thewoodenman
03-14-2011, 08:05 PM
mine too.

stepup2stepout
03-14-2011, 08:17 PM
Mine three. What kind of drunken shenanigans do you people get yourself into to destroy the RFID tags?

Ardentbiscuit
03-14-2011, 09:59 PM
I hope this long distance scanning works because I've been to other festivals that use this and I recall having to drag my wrist across the scanner for it to read. I can't imagine doing that to every person in every car being very efficient.

Hopefully the people running these check points will have more than a 20 minute instructional pep talk as training.

Fourthisto
03-14-2011, 10:05 PM
I hope this long distance scanning works because I've been to other festivals that use this and I recall having to drag my wrist across the scanner for it to read. I can't imagine doing that to every person in every car being very efficient.Long... distance... scanning? :confused:

Harrisment
03-14-2011, 10:23 PM
I'm trying to figure out how the wristbands are any more high tech than the ones from last year.

cutterbutter
03-14-2011, 10:26 PM
I'm trying to figure out how the wristbands are any more high tech than the ones from last year.

Someone must sacrifice their wristband in the name of science once they arrive.

JustSteve
03-14-2011, 10:39 PM
I hope this long distance scanning works because I've been to other festivals that use this and I recall having to drag my wrist across the scanner for it to read. I can't imagine doing that to every person in every car being very efficient.

Hopefully the people running these check points will have more than a 20 minute instructional pep talk as training.

Pretty sure the car checkpoints are just going to be visual checks. Scanning will maybe occur at camping check in and for sure at venue entrance.

Geno_g
03-14-2011, 10:40 PM
I hope the wristbands are cloth...

ApparentlyMarylee
03-15-2011, 07:22 AM
We got to the line around 11am for bonnaroo 09. Didn't get into our camp grounds until 9pm. On the other hand, with coachella last year, we waited a total of 3 hours with nice car neighbors and no smelly hippies asking us for money/drugs/food/tickets. Coachella FTW.

that's why you shouldn't put it on before getting on a plane.. but i don't think anyone had any problems flying back home with them still on last year.
Flew home with no problem last year still wearing it. Also, my wristbands stopped working on day 2 but there wasn't much of a hold up about it.

brfilora
03-15-2011, 07:52 AM
same here, where's our wristbands? how about a tracking number?

I was notified yesterday that festival passes purchased through VMT won't be shipped until March 24th. Hopefully the ticketmaster & musictoday orders will ship before that...

Bumblebee
03-15-2011, 09:03 AM

It didn't say that in any of the wristband "rules" written online. Nor does it say whether or not they contain metal.

Ardentbiscuit
03-15-2011, 09:24 AM
At the check points they are just giong to strip everyone naked and take all their food so you will have to re buy everything from the vendors.

And then the wristbands will track how much you are spending and if you don't meet the quota then they kick you out.

It's sort of like being comped in Vegas, you have to keep up a certain level of purchases to stay on the polo grounds.

JUST KIDDING!!

thewoodenman
03-15-2011, 10:43 AM
^you got me!!! whew

baily
03-15-2011, 11:00 AM
Those talking about hacking the wristband are stooooooooooooooopid!

If your goal was to make extras...you'd have to 1st buy one ...then get another to copy it over to...get a programmer...program the new one and make sure the numbers on it will sync up with the reader Coachella uses(they all have unique ID numbers and the ticket maker lists the lot from 1-40,000) now you'll need to make a number for that new wristband...but if someone already in the festival is using that number the reader will reject yours and you'll be with the head of security very quick...and soon off to jail once they see that you've been up to.
Wait you are not done the hardest part is yet to come...you now need to make a wristband that looks EXACTLY like the one from the festival....have someone in the plastics industry that can make the exact logo design for you and print it...now we are into almost impossible range...because the plastics manufacturer knows that if they print an illegal item their entire operations could be shut down. I don't know many people that open a huge million dollar manufacturing plant that are going to risk making a few wrist bands for some side profit.

same thing goes with the stupid comment of hacking one to take someone's credit card data....they'd have to let you read their wristband with your homemade stupid reader that will instantly have the person wondering what you are doing...it' isn't going to happen...and I'd bet less than 25% would actually connect a credit card to their band anyway.

The ONLY way that'd work is if you just hunted down those people passed out and tried to read their wristbands...then you risk getting your ass kicked because someone is going to notice your shady ass acting stupid messing with someone who's been passed out.

Hacking it ...yea right

maybe try spending $269 on layaway and stop coming up with ignorant ideas.

or lets start a new thread...

Dumbest ways to possibly sneak your way into coachella

-dig a tunnel

-make a superman cape and fly in

-run past police and jump fences (even though you couldn't run 1/2 mile - because you are too fat and lazy)

-buy Golden Voice just to get free tickets

-Run for President of the United States....win just so you can get Coachella tickets.

brematale111
03-15-2011, 11:12 AM
I was notified yesterday that festival passes purchased through VMT won't be shipped until March 24th. Hopefully the ticketmaster & musictoday orders will ship before that...

wtf is VMT?

HandBanana
03-15-2011, 11:19 AM
The state of Vermont

Dustin da DnB Soulja
03-15-2011, 11:36 AM
Hacking it ...yea right

Hacking for money would be different, you just need a reader, with that reader you'd have their information at your disposal. It's like a reader they put on ATM machines so they get all your bank information. If they can do it on ATM machines, they could do it on wrist bands. However, I doubt a festival goer would go through all these steps, since your average festival goer isn't that wealthy. So the juice isn't that worth the squeeze.

nosurprises12
03-15-2011, 11:47 AM
wtf is VMT?

VMT is the company associated with the shuttle passes (I had the same question, by the way)

SunDevil
03-15-2011, 11:50 AM
I'm wondering someone puts their wristband on before boarding a plane and the FDA make you take the wristband off to get thru security. Depending on the number of metal parts inside, if any.

I didn't realize the FDA had taken over airport security. I wonder what all those TSA agents are doing with their time now....testing out new boner pills?

heyeric
03-15-2011, 01:42 PM
• You cannot pass through the police vehicle checkpoints without your wristband properly applied on your wris

Stupid rule. So what are you supposed to say to the police if you are staying in a condo within quarter mile of the venue and have 4-5 people traveling with you who are not going to the event but just partying/vacationing at the condo?

BeeII
03-15-2011, 01:47 PM

you mean the TSA?

BeeII
03-15-2011, 01:49 PM
Mine worked fine throughout the duration of the festival, thanks.

your chip worked, a lot of the scanners did not.

BeeII
03-15-2011, 02:00 PM
Those talking about hacking the wristband are stooooooooooooooopid!

If your goal was to make extras...you'd have to 1st buy one ...then get another to copy it over to...get a programmer...program the new one and make sure the numbers on it will sync up with the reader Coachella uses(they all have unique ID numbers and the ticket maker lists the lot from 1-40,000) now you'll need to make a number for that new wristband...but if someone already in the festival is using that number the reader will reject yours and you'll be with the head of security very quick...and soon off to jail once they see that you've been up to.

You're assuming each individual wristband has a unique serial number being tracked. You're giving the organizers too much credit. But we don't know if that's the case or not.

Wait you are not done the hardest part is yet to come...you now need to make a wristband that looks EXACTLY like the one from the festival....

This is a lot easier than you believe.

have someone in the plastics industry that can make the exact logo design for you and print it...now we are into almost impossible range...because the plastics manufacturer knows that if they print an illegal item their entire operations could be shut down. I don't know many people that open a huge million dollar manufacturing plant that are going to risk making a few wrist bands for some side profit.

People last year made great copies of them. they didn't have a chip in them, but they were dead ringers.

same thing goes with the stupid comment of hacking one to take someone's credit card data....they'd have to let you read their wristband with your homemade stupid reader that will instantly have the person wondering what you are doing...it' isn't going to happen...and I'd bet less than 25% would actually connect a credit card to their band anyway.

The ONLY way that'd work is if you just hunted down those people passed out and tried to read their wristbands...then you risk getting your ass kicked because someone is going to notice your shady ass acting stupid messing with someone who's been passed out.

Hacking it ...yea right

You can do "fly-by" sniffing of RFID. In fact, the US gov't has had to give shielded envelopes for passports, since they now include RFIDs in them. There has been proof-of-concept demos at various security/hacker conventions of RFID reading from great distances. A simple reader can read from distances your typically in at the festival.

Now this is of little value at coachella. but if these wirstbands had valuable data, like say CC info along with personal info, then it would be worth the trouble.

maybe try spending $269 on layaway and stop coming up with ignorant ideas.

or lets start a new thread...

Dumbest ways to possibly sneak your way into coachella

-dig a tunnel

-make a superman cape and fly in

-run past police and jump fences (even though you couldn't run 1/2 mile - because you are too fat and lazy)

-buy Golden Voice just to get free tickets

-Run for President of the United States....win just so you can get Coachella tickets.

I was talking about the RFID tech just from a curious, academic standpoint. I paid for my ticket.

BeeII
03-15-2011, 02:02 PM
• You cannot pass through the police vehicle checkpoints without your wristband properly applied on your wris

Stupid rule. So what are you supposed to say to the police if you are staying in a condo within quarter mile of the venue and have 4-5 people traveling with you who are not going to the event but just partying/vacationing at the condo?

you mean there aren't going to be douchy hipster parties for all the "cool" people that think coachella "sucks" but feel the need to hang around nearby?

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_ubGM9H4odUA/SpNTjUC4qUI/AAAAAAAAAJE/5ryOwAIhJuo/s400/worlds-smallest-violin.jpg

frozen pilgrim
03-15-2011, 03:09 PM
it's a fantastic rule. it's to keep dipshits who're jst taking up space and not actually coachella-ing away

Fourthisto
03-15-2011, 03:28 PM
you mean the TSA?Mmmm, FDA approved wristband....

http://i52.tinypic.com/2hzlhms.jpg

Ardentbiscuit
03-15-2011, 06:51 PM
Since these wristbands will have the multi scan ability, they should run around and randomly check ones that scalpers are selling and bust them.

FEELS
03-15-2011, 09:12 PM
a few of my friends live within a mile of the polo grounds.
i was wondering how it's gonna work for the people who live there who aren't going?

JustSteve
03-15-2011, 09:35 PM
show a driver's license? in the past i believe locals have had resident passes to put in their cars, too.

psychic friend
03-16-2011, 10:13 AM
locals know what to expect. they will get what they need to get around.

thewoodenman
03-16-2011, 10:20 AM
i'm gonna guess the locals will get something along the lines of a pass to hang from the rear view mirror of their or a permit sticker
ex:
http://www.mavericklabel.com/images/parking_permit_sample.jpg
or
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRKVQlmBAMxDEOc3Ah1bxMCFlHlMgz8_ pqaU2Fij-gAfCYVLLSE

nationocean
03-16-2011, 11:00 AM
my friends who live in palm springs aren't going to the fest and want to come to a party i'm throwing that's within a mile radius.. so they can't get past?

Dustin da DnB Soulja
03-16-2011, 11:07 AM
my friends who live in palm springs aren't going to the fest and want to come to a party i'm throwing that's within a mile radius.. so they can't get past?

I'm sure there will be side routes and other ways to get around, Obviously there will be a flow of traffic else where, stop asking questions and worry about it when the time comes. When you explain to the cop I need to take an immediate left to get in those houses just there, after some questioning i'm sure you'd be fine.

Plus most house complexes have entrances and ways to get in past the 1 mi radius.

baily
03-16-2011, 12:07 PM
I'm sure there will be side routes and other ways to get around, Obviously there will be a flow of traffic else where, stop asking questions and worry about it when the time comes. When you explain to the cop I need to take an immediate left to get in those houses just there, after some questioning i'm sure you'd be fine.

Plus most house complexes have entrances and ways to get in past the 1 mi radius.

good luck. I work 1 mile from the polo grounds. There are not many ways to get in. You can go through ave 52 or 50 then you have to go up Jackson or Monroe. There are a few other smaller streets that intersect with 50 and 52, but they are easily blocked off...as I've seen in the past.

If GV is as hard core as they sound about telling the cops that no one gets in...no one will get in.

Locals get passes that just allow them into their housing area....if they want their friends to get in they'll have to go out to the cops and meet them with the pass in hand to allow access.

Your buddy in this scenario will be advised to turn around...call your 'friend' and have them meet you outside the area and go in together with the local pass...even then the pass will only get you as close as the complex that is stamped on it.

If someone tries to go further than the local pass permits the cops will simply be turning them around.

thetello
03-16-2011, 01:37 PM
for those talking about the chip being easily read within a certain radius... don't you think the 1 mile perimeter would equate for the distance the chip is able to be read from?

BeeII
03-16-2011, 01:44 PM
for those talking about the chip being easily read within a certain radius... don't you think the 1 mile perimeter would equate for the distance the chip is able to be read from?

i dont think the cops are going to be scanning them, simply doing a visual check. the wristbands are prolly going to be scanned at the gate. and no, you can't read them from a distance of 1 mile.

basically the chips are not broadcasting (they are not powered) until they are energized. the readers blast the chip with em waves, not a lot but enough for these little chips to transmit data.

a reader can be designed to sniff these RFID, by basically blasting a concentrated wave of energy in a particular direction. such a device could be pocketable. and they exist.

LiquidL
03-16-2011, 11:53 PM
you just get another RFID chip and program the info you gleaned off an existing RFID chip you passively sniffed.

No dice.
These type of RFID chips (probably the cheapest) cannot be reprogrammed. Without delving into tech lingo, they are what is called "read-only".

baily
03-17-2011, 10:12 AM
They only emit a small distance...you have to put them within a few inches of the scanner for reading purposes

google: rfid wristbands

you'll see a variety of companies making them...they don't look like the one shown earlier on this thread....they now seem to be embed within the wristband.

I love the idea of being able to connect a payment to them.

BeeII
03-17-2011, 10:19 AM
No dice.
These type of RFID chips (probably the cheapest) cannot be reprogrammed. Without delving into tech lingo, they are what is called "read-only".

you don't reprogram yours, you get one that can be programmed and program that one.

BeeII
03-17-2011, 10:19 AM
They only emit a small distance...you have to put them within a few inches of the scanner for reading purposes

google: rfid wristbands

you'll see a variety of companies making them...they don't look like the one shown earlier on this thread....they now seem to be embed within the wristband.

I love the idea of being able to connect a payment to them.

so do i, means i won't pay for beers the entire weekend.

Aurgasm
03-17-2011, 10:34 AM
so do i, means i won't pay for beers the entire weekend.

I looked around (somewhat lazily) and couldnt find info confirming this... can you link me to where you're seeing this information? Thanks!

BeeII
03-17-2011, 10:36 AM
if anyone is interested in playing around with RFID stuff and looking for stuff cheap:

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/h-8-guard-tour-patrol-reader-system-41935

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/125khz-programmable-writable-rfid-keychain-17277

and there's programmers at dealextreme too.

thestripe
03-21-2011, 02:02 PM
I just called Frontgate and there is a message stating Coachella bands will start shipping UPS on Friday 25 March, and start delivery Monday the 28th. YAY!

I'dDoItAllAgain
03-21-2011, 04:43 PM
More importantly, will scalpers raise prices once the wristbands ship? Whaddya think?

mistakenstrangers
03-21-2011, 05:14 PM
More importantly, will scalpers raise prices once the wristbands ship? Whaddya think?

People will be waiting to buy wristbands once they know people physically have wristbands... so with supply and demand, I can't imagine they'd be going down...

BeeII
03-21-2011, 05:40 PM
I looked around (somewhat lazily) and couldnt find info confirming this... can you link me to where you're seeing this information? Thanks!

what, RFID sniffing and cloning?

http://www.google.com/search?aq=f&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=rfid+cloning

http://www.google.com/search?aq=f&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=rfid+cloning#sclient=psy&hl=en&source=hp&q=rfid+sniffing&aq=f&aqi=g1g-v1&aql=&oq=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=b26d2f4496b7882f

it's been a popular subject amongst the hacker community for some time now.

frozen pilgrim
03-23-2011, 03:04 PM
I just called Frontgate ... start delivery Monday the 28th. YAY!

fuck yes. bumpitty bump bump!

Dustin da DnB Soulja
03-23-2011, 03:15 PM
what, RFID sniffing and cloning?

http://www.google.com/search?aq=f&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=rfid+cloning

http://www.google.com/search?aq=f&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=rfid+cloning#sclient=psy&hl=en&source=hp&q=rfid+sniffing&aq=f&aqi=g1g-v1&aql=&oq=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=b26d2f4496b7882f

it's been a popular subject amongst the hacker community for some time now.

You can get an RFID cloner w/ an ID module for like $40. The problem is making the wristband IMO. Also finding an identical RFID may be somewhat difficult. But you'd just have to express a lot of things.

Dustin da DnB Soulja
03-23-2011, 03:19 PM
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/125khz-rfid-card-copier-duplicator-with-writable-rfid-card-and-keychain-standalone-operation-17230

find someone to fabricate wristbands.... UNLIMITED WRIST BANDS.

frozen pilgrim
03-23-2011, 03:25 PM
I fully expect each wristband to be embedded with an alphanumeric code around 128 digits long. these codes will be unique. cloning one would be like photocopying a paper ticket.

Dustin da DnB Soulja
03-23-2011, 03:30 PM
I fully expect each wristband to be embedded with an alphanumeric code around 128 digits long. these codes will be unique. cloning one would be like photocopying a paper ticket.

Ins and Outs....

HandBanana
03-23-2011, 05:02 PM
"Welcome to Coachella. This band goes on your right wrist and this tiny aluminum tracking device goes into your butthole. Enjoy Mumford & Sons!"

Wheres the beef?
03-23-2011, 05:50 PM

Who gives a shit, Luca? Really.

strangelove13
03-23-2011, 05:58 PM
"Welcome to Coachella. This band goes on your right wrist and this tiny aluminum tracking device goes into your butthole. Enjoy Mumford & Sons!"

it's gonna get crowded in there
http://blogs.laweekly.com/westcoastsound/2011/03/coachella_police_drugs_rectum.php

Panda421
03-23-2011, 06:02 PM

Sig'd

I called TM today and the rep I talked to said they didn't know when they would be shipping but that Id get an email. Also mentioned something about them still checking to make sure people didn't use a P.O. box

nationocean
03-23-2011, 06:03 PM

I kinda do.

and I'm sure scalpers are chomping at the bit to tear apart the wristbands and see what they can get away with.

thedude15
03-23-2011, 06:34 PM
I kinda do.

and I'm sure scalpers are chomping at the bit to tear apart the wristbands and see what they can get away with.

um you mean criminals? There is a difference between scalpers and people making fake wristbands.

One it committing a legal act the other is not.

icnaxx
03-23-2011, 06:36 PM
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/125khz-rfid-card-copier-duplicator-with-writable-rfid-card-and-keychain-standalone-operation-17230

find someone to fabricate wristbands.... UNLIMITED WRIST BANDS.

i can't imagine GV would spend extra time and money for enhanced security if you could easily clone the RFID. that would make no sense.

however, if there is a population who'd be willing to put in the time to crack it, it would be board members here just for saying, "Ha, I fucking cracked it.".

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
03-23-2011, 07:32 PM

I keep thinking you actually are Emma, and I'm like, "Woah this chick got really funny out of nowhere" and then I'm like, "Oh."

HandBanana
03-23-2011, 07:54 PM
Down under, we call "funny" "chips"

nosurprises12
03-23-2011, 08:34 PM
it's gonna get crowded in there
http://blogs.laweekly.com/westcoastsound/2011/03/coachella_police_drugs_rectum.php

This was, by far, the most retarded thing I've read in a long time.

thewoodenman
03-23-2011, 09:25 PM
that was pretty fucking stupid

Panda421
03-23-2011, 10:16 PM
What a complete waste of time that was! How does that person earn the right to blog for la weekly? I know a bunch of fart,dick, and hiding stuff up your bum jokes too... You know just in case they are hiring.

stepup2stepout
03-23-2011, 11:28 PM
Sig'd

I called TM today and the rep I talked to said they didn't know when they would be shipping but that Id get an email. Also mentioned something about them still checking to make sure people didn't use a P.O. box

PF said in another thread that they are shipping VERY soon, sometime this week. I can't remember if PF said this, but I heard it will be shipping this friday.

Bumblebee
03-24-2011, 04:48 AM
um you mean criminals? There is a difference between scalpers and people making fake wristbands.

Selling fraudulent wristbands is illegal.

What law is being broken if you are able to pass thru the main entrance without buying your own wristband?

Dustin da DnB Soulja
03-24-2011, 09:03 AM
i can't imagine GV would spend extra time and money for enhanced security if you could easily clone the RFID. that would make no sense.

however, if there is a population who'd be willing to put in the time to crack it, it would be board members here just for saying, "Ha, I fucking cracked it.".

I'm sure they'll have an anti-cloning mechanism on them but you could break that I'm sure. Most festivals having Ins n Outs now days, once you break it you're golden.

BeeII
03-24-2011, 09:05 AM

you don't have to crack, just read and clone.

BeeII
03-24-2011, 09:07 AM
I'm sure they'll have an anti-cloning mechanism on them but you could break that I'm sure. Most festivals having Ins n Outs now days, once you break it you're golden.

umm, if it's readable, it can be cloned.

JustSteve
03-24-2011, 11:35 AM
What law is being broken if you are able to pass thru the main entrance without buying your own wristband?

trespassing.

baily
03-24-2011, 11:43 AM
I'm not advocating this, but the hacker is correct, but has one MAJOR flaw in his system...as I've hacked since the commodore 64 computer.

To do this you'd have to get the sniffer and the programmer

Purchase multiple wristbands and MAKE SURE that they are all encrypted with the same code...if so...you are through step one

If every band has a different code...you have a bit of a problem.

The problem isn't reading the code or reprogramming another code...IT"S GETTING THE EXACT SAME WRISTBAND WITH THE SAME LOGO.

The security is going to see it if it's anything different than the normal one and the company making that type will not sell anything but in bulk...and they probably have a contract that forbids them for selling them from now till the week after the festival.

Dustin da DnB Soulja
03-24-2011, 11:45 AM
umm, if it's readable, it can be cloned.

of course, they do have anti-clone mechanisms on some of them, but that's a non-issue as you can by pass those.

I'dDoItAllAgain
03-24-2011, 11:59 AM
There is a difference between scalpers and people making fake wristbands.

They're both assholes, though.

tessalasset
03-24-2011, 12:10 PM
Keep talking about counterfeiting Coachella wristbands on the Coachella Message Board.

Dustin da DnB Soulja
03-24-2011, 12:29 PM
Keep talking about counterfeiting Coachella wristbands on the Coachella Message Board.

I'm trying to get a job as electronic security manager, duh.

It's like the competitions safe companies hold, and whoever cracks the safe gets a massive amount of money and a job, to design the next one that can't be broke. haha.

shermanoaksyo
03-24-2011, 12:45 PM
LA Weekly - which was lobotomized by New Times Phoenix several years back - is a complete waste of tree pulp. It sucks because it used to be a pretty good alt-weekly.

baily
03-24-2011, 12:59 PM
I'm surprised they don't stop this thread or conversations regarding copying wristbands....or it's possible they think it's funny enough that there is NO WAY anyone can get it done....so they just don't give a damn.

IRSCOTT
03-24-2011, 01:07 PM
People are going to do what people do. talking about making fake wristbands doesn't mean that your actaully going to. Not allowing people to talk about it wont stop them from trying. Plus if someone points out a flaw they still have time to fix it. It's like all the e-tards telling each other were to cram there stash.

bobert
03-24-2011, 01:16 PM
Exactly, just how you virgins occasionally talk about getting laid and we all know that doesn't happen. That said, if you were to approach some hot girl in the beer garden and let her know you snuck onto the Polo Fields using your very own hacked and cloned wristband, panties be droppin...

JustSteve
03-24-2011, 01:42 PM
Purchase multiple wristbands and MAKE SURE that they are all encrypted with the same code...if so...you are through step one

why would they make them with all the same code, though? assume every one will have a serial number just like regular tickets do.

Dustin da DnB Soulja
03-24-2011, 02:21 PM
I can't think of 1 possible way that cloning wouldn't work.

Coachella Bound
03-24-2011, 02:25 PM
people just need to get over the fact that if they didnt get tickets (wristband) this year, then theyre prob not going unless they win tickets. Im gunna laugh my ass off if i get the chance to see some fucktard get busted w/ a fake wristband....

stepup2stepout
03-24-2011, 03:19 PM
LA Weekly - which was lobotomized by New Times Phoenix several years back - is a complete waste of tree pulp. It sucks because it used to be a pretty good alt-weekly.

x2

Dennis Romero from The Informer is such an absolute twat. His articles are so incredibly biased, yet it's passed off as news. Ridiculous. I basically only us LAWeekly to find things happening in LA now.

Bumblebee
03-24-2011, 04:55 PM
trespassing.

if you are caught inside without a valid wristband they can only turf you.

Just say you passed out in the Sahara and your band got snipped.

IRSCOTT
03-24-2011, 05:57 PM
Exactly, just how you virgins occasionally talk about getting laid and we all know that doesn't happen. That said, if you were to approach some hot girl in the beer garden and let her know you snuck onto the Polo Fields using your very own hacked and cloned wristband, panties be droppin...

Or give one to lotus word on the street is she doesn't even own panties...

frozen pilgrim
03-25-2011, 07:54 AM

nerds like me. I think it's interesting.

thewoodenman
03-25-2011, 08:10 AM
I keep thinking you actually are Emma, and I'm like, "Woah this chick got really funny out of nowhere" and then I'm like, "Oh."

me too haha. btw this entire conversation happening is beyond pointless and retarded. probably the reason the thread is still goin strong.

baily
03-25-2011, 08:20 AM
why would they make them with all the same code, though? assume every one will have a serial number just like regular tickets do.

Reason they may do this is

A) they are not connecting wristbands with credit cards this year....as far as we know.

B) it makes it very easy for the manufacturer...and probably cheaper

C) makes it easier for the gate readers as it is only scanning for one code

D) makes it easier for the gate in case of issues with the scanner...they don't have to go through a entire reboot and reset-up of a scanner they just pump in the single code that is being used.

In a case where multiple codes are used there is a lot more chances of issues...and seeing that GV is thinking it'd be almost impossible to get a copy of the wristband they are also betting that no one is going to have the ability to make copies good enough to be passable.

my 2 cents...as an ex-hacker

BeeII
03-25-2011, 09:05 AM

A) they are not connecting wristbands with credit cards this year....as far as we know.

D) makes it easier for the gate in case of issues with the scanner...they don't have to go through a entire reboot and reset-up of a scanner they just pump in the single code that is being used.

In a case where multiple codes are used there is a lot more chances of issues...and seeing that GV is thinking it'd be almost impossible to get a copy of the wristband they are also betting that no one is going to have the ability to make copies good enough to be passable.

yup, or they simply may have not thought of it. figured rfid tags is enough.

SP The Ghost
03-25-2011, 09:19 AM
In any case, the number of people able to illegally enter the fest with blagged RFID chips is much smaller than the number of gate jumpers last year.

Dustin da DnB Soulja
03-25-2011, 09:27 AM

I really wonder how Bonaroo goes, some people probably could make a ton of money at the Roo. I wonder if one person could even just dissemble their wrist band and switch out the RFID... or I wonder if you can just reclone the RFID while it's on your wrist.

HandBanana
03-25-2011, 09:30 AM
Coachella isnt that top secret white computer room from Mission Impossible, guys.
Most of the barrier-to-entry is already provided by it being in the middle of fucking nowhere and now the police checkpoints. All the publicity about the heightened security will convince the others to not bother making the drive out (especially since this year you cant be in the camp site without a wristband - that part is huge)
RFID bands regardless of individual code will fill the rest of the gap nicely.

Im sure that no matter what happens there will be at least a few industrious kids that make it over the wall, but the important thing is that it wont be like it was last year with gatecrashing ass-tweens underfoot everywhere.

thewoodenman
03-25-2011, 09:54 AM
Coachella isnt that top secret white computer room from Mission Impossible, guys.

it's actually a secret volcanic lair

baily
03-25-2011, 10:10 AM
it's actually a secret volcanic lair

Scotty, "NO!"

Coachella Bound
03-25-2011, 10:16 AM
Security wristband company, ID&C are set to provide a full RFID solution for the admission control at the famed Coachella Valley Music & Arts Festival in California. ID&C, leaders in admission control for live events, will supply RFID wristbands to accompany a complete contactless access control solution for April’s Coachella Festival.

The wristbands will enhance the fan experience and offer a new level of security for organisers. Coachella is one of the most popular events on the festival calendar, with a line-up boasting some of the world’s most exciting music artists, including Kings of Leon, Kanye West and recent Brit Award winners Arcade Fire.

‘Using RFID technology to improve the security and reduce admission times at festivals is a concept we’ve been working on for the last few years, being able see it in action at a festival like Coachella will be amazing.’ states Steve Daly, Operations Director at ID&C. Daly continues ‘From a security point of view, the microchips can’t be copied, making it difficult for passbacks and counterfeit opportunities.

For fans, it’s a non-invasive way of admittance, making the experience enjoyable from the moment they arrive on site.’ ID&C have developed a durable, waterproof RFID enabled wristband fitted with their patented Smartlock® system – providing Coachella with ‘the ultimate security and admission solution.’

The wristbands will work together with state-of-the-art entrance gates, which read the unique frequency without physical contact. The impressive system can admit 2000 fans per gate, per hour and reduces staffing costs.

http://www.eventindustrynews.co.uk/2011/03/coachella-valley-music-arts-festival-uses-rfid-wristbands-for-events-access-control.html

JustSteve
03-25-2011, 10:21 AM
well there ya go.

Aurgasm
03-25-2011, 10:23 AM
does the RFID chip search me as well? damn this tech is cool!

M Sparks
03-25-2011, 10:23 AM
Nice find.

Coachella Bound
03-25-2011, 10:25 AM
ohh yeah....!!!

http://cdn2-b.examiner.com/sites/default/files/styles/image_full_width/hash/bb/36/Coachella.jpg