PDA

View Full Version : Meal Ideas

Dustin da DnB Soulja
03-10-2011, 02:38 PM
So some of you may want to break the norm of the usual hamburger, hot dogs, steaks for grub so here is some thoughts on the matter.

1) Tin Foil Dinner. Before you leave for the festival you can even freeze these bad boys and throw them in your cooler, get meat, potatoes, veggies, onions, mushrooms, etc. whatever you want in your tin foil, then throw it on the grill and eat it later. If you want chicken you may want to cook the chicken separately then heat up your tin foil.

2) Omelette in a bag. Crack 2-3 eggs in a plastic bag, then throw whatever you want in your omelette inside the bag, as youre doing this heat up hot water in a pan then when boiling place the bag inside the water and bam, grab a fork and grub down.

3) Cook bacon ahead of time. Many of us like bacon on burgers, eggs, etc. you can cook your bacon ahead of time, and just heat them on the grill later. Deal with the grease and mess at home, then you have your bacon locked and loaded for the trip. Bacon will do fine if pre-cooked.

phantom
03-10-2011, 02:40 PM
tuna. doesnt need to be kept cold. get to-go packs of mayo. throw in some dried cranberries. delish.

Robin
03-10-2011, 02:43 PM
Almost every bbq or grill-out that I have, I will soak steak (cut into cubes) in Guinness and minced garlic for AT LEAST 3 days. Throw them on a kabob stick, grill and serve.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
03-10-2011, 02:46 PM
Almost every bbq or grill-out that I have, I will soak steak (cut into cubes) in Guinness and minced garlic for AT LEAST 3 days. Throw them on a kabob stick, grill and serve.

What the fuck THAT SOUNDS DELICIOUS

Dustin da DnB Soulja
03-10-2011, 02:49 PM
Also I highly suggest beer soaked onions

-- ever since I've had the Grill Em All beer soaked onions, it's the only way to ride ---

Courtney
03-10-2011, 03:50 PM
2) Omelette in a bag. Crack 2-3 eggs in a plastic bag, then throw whatever you want in your omelette inside the bag, as youre doing this heat up hot water in a pan then when boiling place the bag inside the water and bam, grab a fork and grub down.

You probably want to be careful with which plastic bag you use. Some people say that the plastic will leach chemicals into your food when exposed to high temperatures, but I would more concerned with the purely practical aspect of making sure the bag doesn't melt. In my experience, freezer bags are a little thicker, and tend to work well.

Even better yet, go to a professional chef supply store (Surfas in Culver City would be my top choice if I lived in Los Angeles), and buy some supplies specially marketing for sous vide cooking.

Stickjohn
03-10-2011, 04:01 PM
I love camping and cooking outside, but not at Coachella. For me a good breakfast would be Kashi Original cereal w/some yogurt and maybe some fruit from the Farmer's Market.

Cactuskev
03-10-2011, 04:29 PM
I love to cook while camping! Here's my menu plan:

Thursday
Dinner: On the Road

Friday
Breakfast: Bacon, egg and cheese on toasted English muffin, Coffee, Screwdrivers

Dinner/late night snack: Gorgonzola cream sauce with smoked salmon pasta, crusty bread, wine

Saturday
Breakfast: Potato and Sausage Burros, Coffee, Screwdrivers

Dinner/late Night: Caramelized Onion and Parmesan Bruschetta
/ Salami Tomato Bruschetta, Wine

Sunday
Break: Potato, bacon, chile, salsa Quesadilla, Coffee, Screwdrivers
Dinner/ late night: Pasta Puttenesca with Sausage, Bread, Wine

Monday
Break: Wild blueberry Pancakes, sausage, butter, syrup, coffee

Yum!

TheClares
03-10-2011, 04:40 PM
Sweet Italian Sausages, Sabrett Hot Dogs, Chili (made at home, then frozen), Eggbeaters, Bacon (going with the cook at home idea, thanks), frozen steak burgers, loaf of Italian bread, Peanut Butter, Strawberry Preserves (put in a plastic container), and maybe some deli meats. Supplement with Farmers Market.

Emma Ocean
03-10-2011, 04:44 PM
cactuskev, wow! May I come dine with you? Seriously, thats some gourmet shit! Sounds beautiful!

Here I was thinking I was totally boss with my plan to bring tinned fruit, peanut butter and two minute noodles! :/

Robin
03-10-2011, 04:50 PM
What the fuck THAT SOUNDS DELICIOUS

Sad part is, I don't eat steak. I only eat chicken as a meat, so I don't even know how it tastes.
But the only complaint I've ever received on them was that I cooked it too rare.

Radiohead
03-10-2011, 05:12 PM
As good as a lot of this sounds, I know myself too well -- I'm lazy, so I'll be bringing some fruit, Cliff Bars, beef jerkey, and beer and paying for any cooked food I eat.

Courtney
03-10-2011, 05:20 PM

Thursday

Friday
Breakfast: Bacon, egg and cheese on toasted English muffin, Coffee, Screwdrivers

Dinner/late night snack: Gorgonzola cream sauce with smoked salmon pasta, crusty bread, wine

Saturday

Sunday

Monday

Yum!

Yeah ok, if you must insist, I'll camp with you.

Robin
03-10-2011, 05:49 PM

Thursday

Friday

Saturday

Sunday

Monday

Yum!

Sooo... do you want to caravan in together?

jimmycrackcorn
03-10-2011, 05:52 PM
http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa357/igoslowugoaround/IMAG0048.jpg

^^^ big ol' mess ^^^

i got the recipe from marlboro and EVERYBODY loves it as a appetizer at any BBQ...

1 lb smoked sausage
3 jalepeno peppers sliced
2 bell peppers cut into bite-sized chunks
1 sweet onion cut into bite-sized chunks
1/4 cup tabasco sauce
1 10oz jar sweet & sour sauce
6 squares foil OR 1 foil cooking bag

place sausage, peppers, and onion into foil bag (or make your own)... mix tabasco and sweet & sour sauce in small bowl and then pour over the mixture in foil bag; seal edges tightly... place foil bag on grill; cook for about 45 minutes, turning every 15 minutes... slit open and serve right out of the bag (all you need is some toothpicks to eat it with or just load it onto some crusty bread)

nosurprises12
03-10-2011, 06:21 PM
I used tips 2 and 3 last year, and they worked out perfectly. I've also used bags for making pancakes by just measuring everything out ahead of time, and then pouring all the ingredients into a plastic Tupperware bowl when I was ready to cook them.

The only other tip I can offer is to invest in a French Press. You can get a plastic one for $15-20 (I've had this one for three years now and it is still in great condition: http://www.amazon.com/BonJour-3-Cup-Unbreakable-French-Press/dp/B0001K1878/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1299813542&sr=8-4), and use your heat source and a small pot to warm the water. It also makes a wonderful cup of coffee!

I'm certainly going to stop by the Farmer's Market this year (some berries would be a nice addition to the pancakes), which is something I regret not doing last year. For those who bought from it, how would you rate the quality of what they had on offer?

Edit: the "big ol' mess" looks wonderful

DarkOnFire
03-10-2011, 06:50 PM
The only other tip I can offer is to invest in a French Press. You can get a plastic one for $15-20 (I've had this one for three years now and it is still in great condition: http://www.amazon.com/BonJour-3-Cup-Unbreakable-French-Press/dp/B0001K1878/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1299813542&sr=8-4), and use your heat source and a small pot to warm the water. It also makes a wonderful cup of coffee!

I wholeheartedly agree! A French Press is really the best way to drink coffee, in my opinion. You get all the fragrant oils from the beans that would be ordinarily be left behind on the filter. If possible, get Vietnamese coffee - it is honestly the best coffee I have ever tried, and it keeps you going all day. Even when I drink it at 11am, I still can't sleep at 4am sometimes.

As for the grounds that are left behind, they're great as compost or even insect repellent! (http://curbly.com/diy-maven/posts/1881-top-10-uses-for-used-coffee-grounds)

http://www.trung-nguyen-online.com/images/gourmet-blend300.jpg

Robin
03-10-2011, 07:01 PM
I LOOOVEEEE cafe sua da! Thanks for bringing the idea up. I think I will be bringing condensed milk instead of cream/sugar.

Cactuskev
03-10-2011, 07:02 PM
http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa357/igoslowugoaround/IMAG0048.jpg

^^^ big ol' mess ^^^

i got the recipe from marlboro and EVERYBODY loves it as a appetizer at any BBQ...

1 lb smoked sausage
3 jalepeno peppers sliced
2 bell peppers cut into bite-sized chunks
1 sweet onion cut into bite-sized chunks
1/4 cup tabasco sauce
1 10oz jar sweet & sour sauce
6 squares foil OR 1 foil cooking bag

place sausage, peppers, and onion into foil bag (or make your own)... mix tabasco and sweet & sour sauce in small bowl and then pour over the mixture in foil bag; seal edges tightly... place foil bag on grill; cook for about 45 minutes, turning every 15 minutes... slit open and serve right out of the bag (all you need is some toothpicks to eat it with or just load it onto some crusty bread)

DAMN! That looks great - I'm going to make this weekend! Thanks!

Cactuskev
03-10-2011, 07:07 PM
cactuskev, wow! May I come dine with you? Seriously, thats some gourmet shit! Sounds beautiful!

Here I was thinking I was totally boss with my plan to bring tinned fruit, peanut butter and two minute noodles! :/

HAH! Of course! - look for the gigantic retro truck with good smells wafting about and have a nibble or two!

Fourthisto
03-10-2011, 07:12 PM
Yeah ok, if you must insist, I'll camp with you.

Yeah I hope cactuskev doesnt mind camping with you two and me, because that shit is destiny or something. He had me at screwdrivers with every breakfast.

Robin
03-10-2011, 07:22 PM
Hahah! I definitely noticed the screwdrivers for breakfast. I normally wake up to a can of beer... or 2.

Right now, I'm craving Grilled Apples.
Just find baking apples, such as Granny Smith.
Core and slice the apples. Keep apples together as if they were not sliced.
Place a brown sugar and cinnamon mixture in the center. (1 tbs/0.25 tsp respectively for each apple)
Wrap in foil.
Grill over Medium heat for about 20 minutes.

Fourthisto
03-10-2011, 07:37 PM
Damn, that sounds awesome... the grilled apples AND waking up to two beers! :D

Cactuskev
03-10-2011, 08:20 PM
Yeah I hope cactuskev doesnt mind camping with you two and me, because that shit is destiny or something. He had me at screwdrivers with every breakfast.

I think I'm gonna need a bigger pan...

Emma Ocean
03-10-2011, 11:29 PM
respekt

Dustin da DnB Soulja
03-11-2011, 12:16 AM
If anyone is going to do beer soaked onions and mushrooms, I talked to the the head chef for the Grill Em All Truck, and he suggests using cheap beer, PBR works well, and you get a really flavor from them. Using Guiness is a waste cause it doesn't really enhance the flavor at all.

daxton
03-11-2011, 12:30 AM
tuna. doesnt need to be kept cold. get to-go packs of mayo. throw in some dried cranberries. delish.

Never thought about dried cranberries with tuna. I can't wait to try this out.

What kind of steak do you use?

Also, I'll be lookin' for that big retro truck. Mmmmmmmmm.

jimmycrackcorn
03-11-2011, 05:27 AM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51qBAXcYnaL.jpg

this is awesome tuna i take hiking all the time

1. it doesn't have to be cold
2. it DOES NOT have any mayonaisse in it at all!
3. it tastes wonderful on wheat thins

Robin
03-11-2011, 08:04 AM
I think I'm gonna need a bigger pan...

And more screwdrivers.

What kind of steak do you use?

Normally filet or sirloin.

One of my favorites to make at a bbq (and always a big hit) is Bourbon Apricot Chicken. Probably not the best thing to make at Coachella. It makes a mess on the grill. If you do decide to make it, I would recommend prepping ahead of time. I normally let the chicken marinade for at least 24 hours, anyways.

(For 2 chicken breasts - or 4 halves)

MARINADE:
1/4 cup Dijon mustard
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons bourbon (I'm cheap and use Jack Daniels)
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

BASTING SAUCE:
1/4 cup apricot preserves
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
2 teaspoons honey
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes

BeaverCat
03-11-2011, 08:26 AM
I'm so jealous of all you car campers that can cook. I got tent camping so I guess I'll stick with food vendors, the farmers market and MREs.

Inthecolumbiagorge
03-11-2011, 09:04 AM
I'm so jealous of all you car campers that can cook. I got tent camping so I guess I'll stick with food vendors, the farmers market and MREs.

You can come to our campsite if you want to cook or join our meals:-) We will have a full camp kitchen with 3 burner cooktop, full BBQ and a few smaller BBQ's too and we are very happy to share!

amili.oh
03-11-2011, 09:06 AM
These are all wonderful ideas!
Cactuskev wins with screwdrivers for breakfast! I'll be doing that one for sure!

Dang and to think I was gonna settle for boxed snack food all weekend, now I can't wait to share these meal ideas with my group!

nosurprises12
03-11-2011, 09:12 AM
If possible, get Vietnamese coffee - it is honestly the best coffee I have ever tried, and it keeps you going all day. Even when I drink it at 11am, I still can't sleep at 4am sometimes.

http://www.trung-nguyen-online.com/images/gourmet-blend300.jpg

I've never tried Vietnamese coffee before; thanks for the suggestion! Is the brand in the picture one you would recommend? And where might someone go to procure said coffee?

Fourthisto
03-11-2011, 09:12 AM
I think I'm gonna need a bigger pan...Ha! You're a good sport. Should I bring something? OJ? Deodorant? Condiments?

And more screwdrivers. BooM! Pardon my French, but this party breakfast is going to be cuhhhh-raaaaazeeeeeee!

baily
03-11-2011, 09:21 AM
May be the best thread ever! I love to cook

The 1st recipe mentioned - we call em' 'Hobo's'
Use 2 layers of Aluminum foil - don't buy the cheap stuff -
Put ground beef, all the vegi's and potatoes you like ...add Salt/Pepper...cook for about 10-12 minutes, slowly open and enjoy...even better if you have a campfire...we just toss the foil directly on the coals....turn it over 1/2 way through cooking (you'll hear it sizzling) - Lots of goodness

The difference between a decent camping trip and a great camping trip can be as simple as having GREAT FOOD.

Keep the recipes coming

Stock up on Propane - it never hurts to have extras

Dustin da DnB Soulja
03-11-2011, 09:26 AM

Seriously, if you're using a small grill like I am can't beat the 2 tanks of propane from Walmart for $5.

Dustin da DnB Soulja
03-11-2011, 09:58 AM
cleaning off pots/pans, utensils, etc. where are you putting your run off water? in the walk way?

Fourthisto
03-11-2011, 10:11 AM
cleaning off pots/pans, utensils, etc. where are you putting your run off water? in the walk way?Under the car is what we did last time. That way it wouldn't be nasty for anyone walking by/through/etc.

Dustin da DnB Soulja
03-11-2011, 10:23 AM
Under the car is what we did last time. That way it wouldn't be nasty for anyone walking by/through/etc.

Perfect.

Inthecolumbiagorge
03-11-2011, 10:27 AM

Put ground beef, all the vegi's and potatoes you like ...add Salt/Pepper...cook for about 10-12 minutes, slowly open and enjoy...even better if you have a campfire...we just toss the foil directly on the coals....turn it over 1/2 way through cooking (you'll hear it sizzling) - Lots of goodness

The difference between a decent camping trip and a great camping trip can be as simple as having GREAT FOOD.

Keep the recipes coming

We have been cooking Hobo Dinners when we camp since I was a kid! You can do them with any protein or with no protein and they are great with tofu for vegetarians too. Heavy duty foil is key as you mentioned:-)

Cactuskev
03-11-2011, 12:08 PM
Ha! You're a good sport. Should I bring something? OJ? Deodorant? Condiments?

BooM! Pardon my French, but this party breakfast is going to be cuhhhh-raaaaazeeeeeee!

Yeah - can you bring some of those little drink umbrellas?

Cactuskev
03-11-2011, 12:18 PM

Keep the recipes coming

I make a spice blend (called Kevspice) with the following:

* 1/2 cup paprika
* 1/4 cup kosher salt, finely ground
* 4 tablespoons ground black pepper
* 1/2 cup granulated garlic
* 4 tablespoons cayenne
* 2 tablespoons mustard powder
* 1/4 cup chili powder
* 1/4 cup ground cumin

And this gets used on A LOT of dishes - check this out:

Hobo Potatoes

Use the 2 layer foil packet technique and fill with:
1 Diced Potato
1/4 cup Chopped Onions
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
Generous dusting of Kevspice

Cook for about 30 minutes, turning once. Remove from the heat, carefully peel back the foil and add shredded cheddar cheese, reseal and allow the cheese to melt. Yum.

Robin
03-11-2011, 12:27 PM
cleaning off pots/pans, utensils, etc. where are you putting your run off water? in the walk way?

Clean? What's that?
Leave it there for extra flavor!

Fourthisto
03-11-2011, 12:44 PM
Yeah - can you bring some of those little drink umbrellas?If you throw in a batch of Hobo 'Toes I'll bring a whole freaking CASE of them! :cool:

Emma Ocean
03-11-2011, 04:35 PM
What should I bring? I'm fully excited :)

Cactuskev
03-11-2011, 07:19 PM
What should I bring? I'm fully excited :)

How about some Vegemite?

Probably won't use it, but just having it around gives every meal that international flair!

eureka
03-11-2011, 08:11 PM
OMG... can you bring me some? We've just run out and no idea where to get more!

Emma Ocean
03-11-2011, 08:29 PM
definately!! And Vegemite can be great to add flavour to things when cooking CactusKev cos its so salty.

Robin
03-13-2011, 08:51 PM
Can't really go wrong with grilled cheese, right?

Pepperjack Cheese
Chipotle spread
Sliced avocados (hopefully, they'll have them at the stand in the campgrounds)

Emma Ocean
03-14-2011, 01:41 AM
mmm mmm, you guys have got it together, I think I'm just going to roam around the campsites yelling 'forum people, feed me!'
lol

but once I find CactusKev I may never leave ;)

Aurgasm
03-14-2011, 07:01 AM
buffalo tofu wraps!

DarkOnFire
03-14-2011, 04:48 PM
I've never tried Vietnamese coffee before; thanks for the suggestion! Is the brand in the picture one you would recommend? And where might someone go to procure said coffee?

Yes, I would definitely recommend that brand. That seems to be the most readily available brand anyway. But if you happen to ever stumble into a Vietnamese grocer's and see that they grind their own coffee, get that as well!

DarkOnFire
03-14-2011, 04:52 PM
One recipe I tried while camping a few years ago was topping a piece of chicken with salsa and shredded cheese, then wrapping it in an aluminium foil packet and putting it on the grill. It was a lovely, spicy, cheesy and delicious mess. Serve it on a bed of couscous. (No cooking required! Pour some couscous into a bowl, pour enough hot water to cover it, leave it for 5 minutes. Afterwards, fluff it with a fork and add anything you want - herbs, seasoning, more salsa, etc.)

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_UeJzQMNxaGg/TVLZuThwsOI/AAAAAAAAAio/zQ7zouJuj3M/s1600/couscous1.jpg

Dustin da DnB Soulja
03-14-2011, 04:54 PM
I'm going to make a pulled pork sandwichs, and grill chicken and make chicken sandwiches as well

frizzlefry
03-14-2011, 05:10 PM
So keeping my cooler nice and frozen for the first night, I'm hoping to have some carne asada tacos for lunch, than some breakfast tacos most likely on saturday morning with Jimmy Dean sausages and Tapatio, nothing fancy but damn good.

Inthecolumbiagorge
03-16-2011, 12:21 PM
Our group has 42 people currently and I am head chef. Here is our planned menu:
Thursday lunch – Fresh cold cuts and assorted cheeses, assorted fresh rolls and French baguette, condiments, made at home potato salad/garlic pasta salad/coleslaw, chips and cookies - Beers or mixed drinks

Thursday dinner - Steak kabobs (marinated sirloin and mushrooms with sweet onions, zucchini and red bell peppers – Tofu kabobs if vegetarian) Greek salad (fresh vine ripened tomatoes, English cucumbers, extra virgin olive oil, pitted calmata olives, fresh oregano, basil, fresh cracked pepper) Tabouli rice salad - Strawberry shortcake

Friday breakfast bar – Bacon/sausage/ham, eggs, hash browns with onions and peppers, tortillas, guacamole, refried beans, salsa, grilled veggies, my famous Bloody Mary’s/Screwdriver/Ramos Gin Fizz(my favorite:-)

Friday evening/late night – Cilantro grilled chicken tenders with fresh tzatziki sauce – fresh mixed greens salad – herbed new potatoes in foil on the BBQ

Saturday breakfast – Fresh fruit pancakes (whatever is available at Farmers market preferably berries but apples, bananas, plums, I can make anything work), sausage, Screwdrivers or Ramos Gin Fizz

Saturday evening/late night – Burgers/vegieburgers, brats, grilled herb potato wedges, fresh greens salad

Sunday breakfast – French toast, bacon and sausage, fresh melon, Ramos Gin Fizz or Screwdriver

Sunday evening/late night – grilled Panini sandwich bar – turkey, pastrami, ham, feta, swiss, white cheddar, chevre, tofu, grilled red peppers, avocado, grilled onions and garlic, artichoke hearts, fresh greens, vine ripened tomatoes – fresh fruit – and the remaining alcohol no doubt!!!

thewoodenman
03-16-2011, 12:29 PM
mmm mmm, you guys have got it together, I think I'm just going to roam around the campsites yelling 'forum people, feed me!'
lol

i'll feed u somethin from my goon sack ;) mmmmhmmm

unknown
03-17-2011, 07:45 AM
First off, this thread is amazing! More ideas, Please!!!

I'm certainly going to stop by the Farmer's Market this year (some berries would be a nice addition to the pancakes), which is something I regret not doing last year. For those who bought from it, how would you rate the quality of what they had on offer?

I purchased some fruit last year and it was delicious. Very fresh and really hit the spot for a light breakfast on a warm morning.

I plan on using some ideas from this thread - especially pre-cooked bacon! I am also thinking of bringing pre-grilled lemon and garlic marinated chicken along with pre-sliced ingredients properly stored in the cooler to make a light chicken salad. My big plan for the weekend for my group is planning out and running our bloody mary bar. I've done it for festivals before and it is pretty easy. I premake the mix beforehand and store it in plastic jugs that the base mix comes in (I have my tomato base, vodka, and all the ingredients mixed in). I slice up a lot of the add-ins and store in containers (chopped garlic in foil, cilantro in foil, artichoke hearts in tupperware, pickles in tupperware, olives in tupperware, feta in tupperware), I bring avocado and slice them as I need them at the fest, and I bring celery (will buy more from market or grocery store as needed, celery is also the perfect spoon). This cuts down a ton on the prep time - I just add whatever people want as far as the add-ins, shake the jug, pour, and it's done. They are always a huge hit and a perfect kick start to the day.

canexplain
03-17-2011, 09:53 AM
OK so it's not like real fried greasy bacon, but when I go to fests and camping I use that bacon that you don't have to keep cool. You just heat it up and it's good to go.

or not sure of this stuff:

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j211/canexplain/squeez-bacon.jpg

cr****

Dustin da DnB Soulja
03-17-2011, 09:55 AM
First off, this thread is amazing! More ideas, Please!!!

I purchased some fruit last year and it was delicious. Very fresh and really hit the spot for a light breakfast on a warm morning.

I plan on using some ideas from this thread - especially pre-cooked bacon! I am also thinking of bringing pre-grilled lemon and garlic marinated chicken along with pre-sliced ingredients properly stored in the cooler to make a light chicken salad. My big plan for the weekend for my group is planning out and running our bloody mary bar. I've done it for festivals before and it is pretty easy. I premake the mix beforehand and store it in plastic jugs that the base mix comes in (I have my tomato base, vodka, and all the ingredients mixed in). I slice up a lot of the add-ins and store in containers (chopped garlic in foil, cilantro in foil, artichoke hearts in tupperware, pickles in tupperware, olives in tupperware, feta in tupperware), I bring avocado and slice them as I need them at the fest, and I bring celery (will buy more from market or grocery store as needed, celery is also the perfect spoon). This cuts down a ton on the prep time - I just add whatever people want as far as the add-ins, shake the jug, pour, and it's done. They are always a huge hit and a perfect kick start to the day.

Cook then freeze, doing that with my pulled pork marinade. And I may have the Grill Em All guys deep fry me some bacon then keep it in a bag and heat it up when I'm about to eat.

Robin
03-17-2011, 10:04 AM

I plan on using some ideas from this thread - especially pre-cooked bacon!

I was addicted to their strawberries! They were so good that I was giving them out to random people as I walked back to my campsite.

Costco sells pre-cooked bacon. I may pick up a pack for my group. I wonder how much bacon they can eat, though.

nosurprises12
03-17-2011, 10:06 AM
OK so it's not like real fried greasy bacon, but when I go to fests and camping I use that bacon that you don't have to keep cool. You just heat it up and it's good to go.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e82/nosuprises12/Bacon-in-a-bottle.jpg

Robin
03-17-2011, 10:13 AM
http://store.baconsalt.com/assets/images/sampler%20pack.gif

StevieSays
03-17-2011, 10:50 AM
If anyone needs a good/quick idea for breakfast without needing so many supplies....

overnight oats in a jar (OOIAJ). Look them up online and you can find other easy recipes.

The idea is simple: save empty peanut butter/jelly jars (or just buy some mason jars)...pour in some oatmeal (1/3 cup? however much you want..), add some milk (I use almond milk...again, make the consistency to your liking, keeping in mind it will thicken up)...add some protein power (choco, yum), and a mashed banana. Let this sit overnight in the cooler, or at least a few hours...then top with extra fruit/nuts (from the farmer's market?!) and enjoy!! No cooking needed. If there is extra PB leftover in the jar it's even better :) We are going to prepare these everynight and stick them in the ice chest to be ready for breakfast. SO excited for our first Coachella, btw. Couldn't get to sleep the other night because I was packing in my head.... ;)

canexplain
03-17-2011, 11:05 AM
If anyone needs a good/quick idea for breakfast without needing so many supplies....

overnight oats in a jar (OOIAJ). Look them up online and you can find other easy recipes.

The idea is simple: save empty peanut butter/jelly jars (or just buy some mason jars)...pour in some oatmeal (1/3 cup? however much you want..), add some milk (I use almond milk...again, make the consistency to your liking, keeping in mind it will thicken up)...add some protein power (choco, yum), and a mashed banana. Let this sit overnight in the cooler, or at least a few hours...then top with extra fruit/nuts (from the farmer's market?!) and enjoy!! No cooking needed. If there is extra PB leftover in the jar it's even better :) We are going to prepare these everynight and stick them in the ice chest to be ready for breakfast. SO excited for our first Coachella, btw. Couldn't get to sleep the other night because I was packing in my head.... ;)

No glass, just saying. Cr****

Dustin da DnB Soulja
03-17-2011, 11:12 AM
Use a plastic container...

Dustin da DnB Soulja
03-17-2011, 11:16 AM
Also if anyone needs/wants any deep fried bacon, just let me know. I'll be frying up a batch.

naruto_kenshin
03-17-2011, 11:41 AM
Our group has 42 people currently and I am head chef. Here is our planned menu:
Thursday lunch – Fresh cold cuts and assorted cheeses, assorted fresh rolls and French baguette, condiments, made at home potato salad/garlic pasta salad/coleslaw, chips and cookies - Beers or mixed drinks

Thursday dinner - Steak kabobs (marinated sirloin and mushrooms with sweet onions, zucchini and red bell peppers – Tofu kabobs if vegetarian) Greek salad (fresh vine ripened tomatoes, English cucumbers, extra virgin olive oil, pitted calmata olives, fresh oregano, basil, fresh cracked pepper) Tabouli rice salad - Strawberry shortcake

Friday breakfast bar – Bacon/sausage/ham, eggs, hash browns with onions and peppers, tortillas, guacamole, refried beans, salsa, grilled veggies, my famous Bloody Mary’s/Screwdriver/Ramos Gin Fizz(my favorite:-)

Friday evening/late night – Cilantro grilled chicken tenders with fresh tzatziki sauce – fresh mixed greens salad – herbed new potatoes in foil on the BBQ

Saturday breakfast – Fresh fruit pancakes (whatever is available at Farmers market preferably berries but apples, bananas, plums, I can make anything work), sausage, Screwdrivers or Ramos Gin Fizz

Saturday evening/late night – Burgers/vegieburgers, brats, grilled herb potato wedges, fresh greens salad

Sunday breakfast – French toast, bacon and sausage, fresh melon, Ramos Gin Fizz or Screwdriver

Sunday evening/late night – grilled Panini sandwich bar – turkey, pastrami, ham, feta, swiss, white cheddar, chevre, tofu, grilled red peppers, avocado, grilled onions and garlic, artichoke hearts, fresh greens, vine ripened tomatoes – fresh fruit – and the remaining alcohol no doubt!!!

GODDAMN!! That sound delicious. But I imagine all that food would make going to the pooper an issue no? Having to take a major crap durin one of your favorite bands sucks!! Ever since that happened to me for the Yeah Yeah Yeahs in '06 I have not eaten too much at coach

Inthecolumbiagorge
03-17-2011, 12:06 PM
GODDAMN!! That sound delicious. But I imagine all that food would make going to the pooper an issue no? Having to take a major crap durin one of your favorite bands sucks!! Ever since that happened to me for the Yeah Yeah Yeahs in '06 I have not eaten too much at coach

Hmmm...that is an interesting perspective you have there, LOL! If you have "pooper" issues then perhaps brown rice and steamed vegies is more your thing?? I seriously doubt eating 2 rounded tasty meals each day at Coachella without having to buy it from a food stand will compromise anyone's digestive system any more than any other day of food would. Do most people really not eat while they are at Coachella??? Don't think so! I will promise just for you not to force anyone to eat anything they don't want to at our "2011 Coachella Extravaganza" campsite:-)

naruto_kenshin
03-17-2011, 12:52 PM
just for you not to force anyone to eat anything they don't want to at our "2011 Coachella Extravaganza" campsite:-)

Gracias good sir.

So uh... where is this pageant of food at... invite only or what? ;)

Inthecolumbiagorge
03-17-2011, 05:35 PM
Gracias good sir.

So uh... where is this pageant of food at... invite only or what? ;)

Madam actually and de nada:-) We fed everyone camping around us last year and I imagine it will be the same this year, although I may need to send 1/2 our group by shuttle to Ralphs to re-up on food if we feed too many...LOL! But seriously anyone that can find us is welcome...I will be posting pics of our banner so anyone interested can find us if they want to!

Robin
03-17-2011, 06:20 PM
No glass, just saying. Cr****

I wonder if they will still allow me to bring in my French press.

Stickjohn
03-17-2011, 07:58 PM
Not a chance. You can't even bring glasses.

MadSurfs
03-17-2011, 09:26 PM
this is kinda food related, kinda not, but are reusable water bottles allowed? can i bring like one of those 5 gallon jugs of water with the spout for everyone at my campspot to use?

Stickjohn
03-17-2011, 09:28 PM
In the camp grounds, sure. You can bring it in full of water too. Throw a block of ice in there for good measure.

Inthecolumbiagorge
03-18-2011, 07:43 AM
this is kinda food related, kinda not, but are reusable water bottles allowed? can i bring like one of those 5 gallon jugs of water with the spout for everyone at my campspot to use?

You can bring as much water as your vehicle can carry into the campgrounds. That is one of our issues this year with misters, need lots of water:-) I am hoping 50 gallons covers it for us.

lawbstar
03-18-2011, 11:34 AM
You muthafuckas know how to cook! I stole so many recipes.

whatyouknow
03-21-2011, 03:59 PM
some awesome ideas in this thread that i'll be trying to use. anyways i was just going to bring some bisquick shake 'n pours.

http://www.amazon.com/Bisquick-Buttermilk-10-6-Ounce-Containers-Frustration-Free/dp/B0010VO7ES

Fourthisto
03-21-2011, 05:35 PM
Costco sells pre-cooked bacon. I may pick up a pack for my group. I wonder how much bacon they can eat, though.TONS!

The only bacony thing I'm bringing is bacon salt.

Emma Ocean
03-21-2011, 05:43 PM
avocado's!!

Fourthisto
03-21-2011, 07:11 PM
avocados taste of death!!I couldn't agree more, milady. Good day. :tips cap:

Robin
03-21-2011, 07:22 PM
TONS!

The only bacony thing I'm bringing is bacon salt.

I love bacon salt! I used to carry one in my purse. heheheh.

Also, I was thinking about you the other day. I remembered that I have these matching Halloween costumes. Ketchup and Mustard. I'm tempted to bring them.

Fourthisto
03-21-2011, 07:28 PM
I love bacon salt! I used to carry one in my purse. heheheh.For muggers? :confused: Oh, I see, in case inspiration hits during a meal... or if you are starving and the only thing around to eat is a bunch of leaves or something. Yeah, that'd work just fine, methinks.

Also, I was thinking about you the other day. I remembered that I have these matching Halloween costumes. Ketchup and Mustard. I'm tempted to bring them.Hahahaha! I guess this would make sense, that way we can tell who is on what team. Lord knows I really despise Team Relish. Cheeky bastards. :mad: Anyone in my path who is wearing a relish costume, watch the HELL out!!!!

wstsidela
03-21-2011, 08:04 PM
I saw a propane camping stove on sale at Costco. Fresh muffins anyone?

Emma Ocean
03-22-2011, 03:23 AM
I couldn't agree more, milady. Good day. :tips cap:

you're one of those people that cant hack it hey? lemme guess, something about the texture... :puke

RickeyinLA
03-22-2011, 03:47 AM

This is the best thing I've read here. You complete me. Us. Thanks.

Fourthisto
03-22-2011, 04:54 AM
you're one of those people that cant hack it hey? lemme guess, something about the texture... :puke
That is a big part of it, but it just doesn't taste like something that should be edible to me. Like cottage cheese, or cauliflower, or Vegemite. :eek: I hope we can still be friends! :)

Emma Ocean
03-22-2011, 05:08 PM
haha, ok.

Emma Ocean
03-23-2011, 02:17 AM
I just had vegemite AND avocado on toast. It was awesome.
can we still be friends? :)

Fourthisto
03-23-2011, 04:24 AM
I just had vegemite AND avocado on toast. It was awesome.
can we still be friends? :)

.................... I'll uh.... I'll get back to you. :eek:

fredbull
03-23-2011, 07:56 AM
Hmmmmm this all makes me want to re-think my groups camping diet from the last 2 years which has consisted of peanut butter sandwiches and mandarin oranges..... what kind of grill are you guys using? and how do you guys keep your meat so that it doesn't go bad?

Dustin da DnB Soulja
03-23-2011, 08:04 AM
Hmmmmm this all makes me want to re-think my groups camping diet from the last 2 years which has consisted of peanut butter sandwiches and mandarin oranges..... what kind of grill are you guys using? and how do you guys keep your meat so that it doesn't go bad?

I'm bringing 2 coolers, one is all for frozen foods, no one goes in and out of that cooler, we go in that cooler once a day to pull out the food for the day

Then another cooler is for defrosting frozen food, cold beer, etc.

I'm using 2 basic propane stoves from Harbor Freight, some people are using elaborate grills but you can find one like this

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=propane+burner&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=2332895891380120425&sa=X&ei=2BmKTfrxHOa50QGoo5DqDQ&ved=0CFMQ8gIwBA#

at Harbor Freight for 9.99

Inthecolumbiagorge
03-23-2011, 08:08 AM

Grill depends on how many people you are feeding. Small grill works for 4-6 people. Some dry ice in the cooler with meat makes it last the whole fest but we always use a separate cooler for meat just in case anything does melt we don't want cross contamination with raw meat! Freeze all the meat before hand, even if you are marinating it and it will help quite a bit. The deal with dry ice is how you package it in the cooler. It it gets wet it freezes everything that touches it so you need to have it in a separate container that will not allow the water from any regular ice to leak in it otherwise the whole contents of the cooler will be frozen solid:-)

Dustin da DnB Soulja
03-23-2011, 08:12 AM
Grill depends on how many people you are feeding. Small grill works for 4-6 people. Some dry ice in the cooler with meat makes it last the whole fest but we always use a separate cooler for meat just in case anything does melt we don't want cross contamination with raw meat! Freeze all the meat before hand, even if you are marinating it and it will help quite a bit. The deal with dry ice is how you package it in the cooler. It it gets wet it freezes everything that touches it so you need to have it in a separate container that will not allow the water from any regular ice to leak in it otherwise the whole contents of the cooler will be frozen solid:-)

How much dry ice do you have, dry ice sublimation is FAST and your average block of dry ice is melted extremely quick.

fredbull
03-23-2011, 08:18 AM
Thanks for the suggestions!!! i'll definately look into those propane grills...

Dustin da DnB Soulja
03-23-2011, 08:20 AM
Thanks for the suggestions!!! i'll definately look into those propane grills...

I also posted a double grill from Walmart and it was like $25 or so.

Inthecolumbiagorge
03-23-2011, 08:27 AM
How much dry ice do you have, dry ice sublimation is FAST and your average block of dry ice is melted extremely quick.

We got a medium sized chunk last year wrapped it in foil and put it in a cooler and it froze solid everything that was near it! On Sunday morning it was still freezing everything close to it, I had to chip out the beers that were encased with ice. We used it to make the regular ice last longer and stay colder. Then the dry ice just extends the regular ice but as I said, we had solid ice from the dry ice last year still on Sunday morning that we bought on Wed. in Lake Havasu, AZ.

We sort of experimented with it since then and and we try to keep the dry ice a bit dryer and then at least it does not freeze half the cooler, but with the meat I prefer it frozen until I need to defrost to use it to cook. We used it in a huge 140 gallon cooler and put it on one end and it extends the life of regular ice quite a bit and again we still had some viable dry ice action in the cooler 3 days later. Fact!

fredbull
03-23-2011, 08:35 AM
Those of you making those "Hobo's" are you guys preparing everything and freezing them in the foil before you leave, or are you freezing everything individually and then preparing them and putting them in the foil right before you cook them?

Dustin da DnB Soulja
03-23-2011, 08:36 AM
We got a medium sized chunk last year wrapped it in foil and put it in a cooler and it froze solid everything that was near it! On Sunday morning it was still freezing everything close to it, I had to chip out the beers that were encased with ice. We used it to make the regular ice last longer and stay colder. Then the dry ice just extends the regular ice but as I said, we had solid ice from the dry ice last year still on Sunday morning that we bought on Wed. in Lake Havasu, AZ.

We sort of experimented with it since then and and we try to keep the dry ice a bit dryer and then at least it does not freeze half the cooler, but with the meat I prefer it frozen until I need to defrost to use it to cook. We used it in a huge 140 gallon cooler and put it on one end and it extends the life of regular ice quite a bit and again we still had some viable dry ice action in the cooler 3 days later. Fact!

So dry ice in foil, freeze everything, then use regular ice?

Dustin da DnB Soulja
03-23-2011, 08:38 AM
Those of you making those "Hobo's" are you guys preparing everything and freezing them in the foil before you leave, or are you freezing everything individually and then preparing them and putting them in the foil right before you cook them?

Pretty much everything I am prepping then freezing.

fredbull
03-23-2011, 09:05 AM
Pretty much everything I am prepping then freezing.

Thanks for the advice!!!
These will make a very nice addition to my coachella diet!

Inthecolumbiagorge
03-23-2011, 09:07 AM
So dry ice in foil, freeze everything, then use regular ice?

Yes sir! Basically the dry ice makes it much colder and makes you need less regular ice although you still need some reg ice. Works pretty good:-)

Dustin da DnB Soulja
03-24-2011, 07:36 AM
How much foil did you wrap the dry ice in? any picture by chance? I need to know how much dry ice to buy, and how much ice I need to buy. So you kept the wet ice on the opposite side of the cooler?

panda_eater
03-26-2011, 03:04 PM

Do people use the water they bring to wash their cooking dishes? Or how does that usually go down?

And what about plates/utensils, do people find paper to be easier than plastic?

Dustin da DnB Soulja
03-26-2011, 03:24 PM
Do people use the water they bring to wash their cooking dishes? Or how does that usually go down?

Bring extra water for pots/pans and cleaning. There is no available running water on site. Doesn't really matter IMO on paper or plastic, bring a trashbag and anytime someone runs for a bathroom break or a shower have them take the bag if it's full, that's what were doing.

nosurprises12
03-26-2011, 03:27 PM

Last year I brought a gallon of tap water specifically for washing off dishes and that worked out great (I did it by my car so people didn't have to walk through it).

If you don't want to have to deal with washing/cleaning your plates and utensils, though, disposable is obviously the way to go. If your group isn't that big, just bring some from home or get some cheap pots/pans/plates/etc. from a thrift store and keep them for later. I swear, almost all of my camping supplies have come from camping at Coachella each year!

panda_eater
03-26-2011, 03:41 PM
Bring extra water for pots/pans and cleaning. There is no available running water on site. Doesn't really matter IMO on paper or plastic, bring a trashbag and anytime someone runs for a bathroom break or a shower have them take the bag if it's full, that's what were doing.

Trashbags, I knew my list was missing something.
Sweet.

Last year I brought a gallon of tap water specifically for washing off dishes and that worked out great (I did it by my car so people didn't have to walk through it).

If you don't want to have to deal with washing/cleaning your plates and utensils, though, disposable is obviously the way to go. If your group isn't that big, just bring some from home or get some cheap pots/pans/plates/etc. from a thrift store and keep them for later. I swear, almost all of my camping supplies have come from camping at Coachella each year!

Awesome thanks, I think I'll grab one of those water jugs that has a spout on it for dishes. I vaguely remember that from girl scouts years ago. And definitely heading to the thrift store for pans.

This is for sure going to be a learning experience.

Virrago
03-26-2011, 09:56 PM
PRE-COOKED BACON.

Keep it in a zip-loc bag in your cooler. You'll be amazed how many uses you'll find for it. Seriously, I don't think there's a single thing you couldn't get through bartering with bacon.

RickeyinLA
04-07-2011, 10:50 AM
bumpity <burp>

M.Romo
04-07-2011, 11:24 AM
tis is making me hungry

M.Romo
04-07-2011, 11:26 AM
Yes sir! Basically the dry ice makes it much colder and makes you need less regular ice although you still need some reg ice. Works pretty good:-)

Question regarding the dry ice. How do you handle it because at work we were told not to touch it because you can get burned.

lolswaglol
04-07-2011, 12:21 PM

I was thinking about buying either this
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trails-5-gallon-fold-a-carrier-water-container/10098757
or something like this for extra water
http://www.amazon.com/Midwest-Company-Blue-6700-Poly/dp/B001ESUOOY
It would definitely work for washing dishes and stuff.
Hopefully I already have water cans lying around my house somewhere.

M.Romo
04-07-2011, 02:27 PM
You can come to our campsite if you want to cook or join our meals:-) We will have a full camp kitchen with 3 burner cooktop, full BBQ and a few smaller BBQ's too and we are very happy to share!

Can I join you guys?!

Cactuskev
04-21-2011, 12:39 PM

I just posted this in the Experiences thread but thought it should go here as well...

I like to cook when I camp so one night I made some Smoked Salmon and Gorgonzola Pasta with crusty bread and red wine and it was gooood. I shared with my neighbors but still had some leftover so I made up a plate full with a napkin and fork and bread and filled a cup with wine and started wandering through the tents shouting "Anyone hungry? Who wants some pasta and red wine?"

I hear a girl's voice say "I want it, but I'm naked!" So I tell her to stick her hand out through the door of her tent, which she does, I give her the food and that disappears into the tent. Then I hear a guy's voice from inside the same tent, "I'll take the wine!" and another hand sticks out the door - I give him the wine and it disappears inside as well.

As I'm waking away I hear them shout "Who are you? You're awesome!" I say "I'm Cactuskev! Happy Coachella!" and walk away.

I love the fact that some random naked couple got a nice gourmet meal inside their tent out of nowhere - that's just one of many Coachella moments for me - it was AWESOME!

naruto_kenshin
04-22-2011, 07:24 PM
The HOBOS worked GREAT!. THANKS THREAD! We used them as fuel for day three!

choice cat
04-22-2011, 07:28 PM
The MRE's that I brought sort of worked, couldn't really figure out the heater situation. The rest of the food that came with them was great though!! delicious granola and milk for breakfast with cinnamon scone

Dustin da DnB Soulja
04-22-2011, 07:34 PM
The MRE's that I brought sort of worked, couldn't really figure out the heater situation. The rest of the food that came with them was great though!! delicious granola and milk for breakfast with cinnamon scone

You can make some sweet bombs out of MREs haha.

choice cat
04-22-2011, 07:37 PM
That's funny you say that, because I was thinking that same thing as I was trying to prepare one of mine. Enlighten me

BotConnecting
04-24-2011, 05:27 PM
That's funny you say that, because I was thinking that same thing as I was trying to prepare one of mine. Enlighten me

cut open the heating pad and pour in half filled bottle of water. close the bottle and wait. BOOM.

I have about 10 MRE's that i forgot about until now :(
at least i'll have them handy when the zombie apocalypse comes around

Robin
04-27-2011, 06:21 PM
I didn't get around to making these for Coachella, but since my bro is having a bbq on Sat, I am now starting to prep them....

Guinness Steaks!

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/226225_168872299837931_100001454854053_401799_3178 073_n.jpg

SepaGroove
02-16-2012, 02:05 PM
This is a great thread. BUMP

Cactuskev
02-16-2012, 04:30 PM
Pasta with Gorgonzola, Walnuts, and Mushrooms (for 4)

Boil one pound of rigatoni or bowtie pasta, drain and set aside.

Saute half of an onion and a little bit of garlic in olive oil. Add 6 oz Chardonnay

Add 1 packet of Knorr Alfredo Sauce mix. Add a little water if you need to.

Add wild mushrooms (if they're dried, rehydrate first)

Turn down heat and add 8 oz crumbled Gorgonzola cheese and stir until dispersed.

Crumble in a generous handful of walnuts.

Salt and modest black pepper to taste.

Simmer and stir for 20 minutes while sipping cocktails.

When the sauce is tasting perfect, stir in an ounce of bourbon and keep the pot warm.

Add the cooked pasta, stir until combined and feast.

D-BO.
02-17-2012, 09:05 AM
humpty bumpty

PepeO
02-17-2012, 02:46 PM

you can cook in tent camping...just keep it in the back of your site...not the front.

bobert
03-28-2012, 04:22 PM
I'm planning on pre-making a bunch of breakfast sandwiches and shrink-wrapping them. Fried eggs (cooled after cooking), paired with a slice of cheese and either bread or english muffin. Ordering the following items on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Cast-Iron-Grill-Pan/dp/B001TSA69C/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC?ie=UTF8&coliid=IDUKR6L40UWEG&colid=YTB5G0XC3A84

http://www.amazon.com/Camp-Chef-4-Inch-Seasoned-Bacon/dp/B000FRSR9E/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC?ie=UTF8&coliid=I3H5UW0LIDFL0J&colid=YTB5G0XC3A84

Pair those with a camping stove and you have a propane heating panini press, of sorts.

OtisRed
03-28-2012, 06:53 PM
This Thread is Awesome!

I am bringing marinated Korean BBQ meat (Beef short Ribs, and Spicy Pork) in pre-portioned bags.
Also I own a Deli, so I am bringing high quality cold cuts and cheeses, and sliced Pastrami that we can grill.

Planning on making Breakfast sandwiches in the morning, with egg, sauteed onions/mushrooms, home fries, and spicy Korean BBQ pork. Gonna pre cook the onions/mushroom mix, and home fries and just reheat.

For Late Night, Bacon wrapped hotdogs (like on the street in LA), and Korean BBQ beef burritos filled with Fried Rice (rice precooked at home) and Lettuce Wraps with Korean BBQ!

Also on menu, massive amounts of fresh Guacamole and chips for snacking (premade at home, and pre-portioned into smaller tupperware for each day.
Various Grilled Cheese Sandwiches (various fillings: Pepperjack, cheddar, American, Provolone, and Muenster Cheeses, bacon, ham)
Also We are planning to have possibly 1 great dinner....Gonna Sous Vide a couple of Prime RibEye Steaks to Medium Rare, and finish on the grill at camp (have full home sous vide setup)

If your cooking in bags...Ziplock now makes some specifically for Sous Vide that will be completely safe at higher temps...

As for sides, we'll probably brings some homemade slaws, and potato/pasta salads!

If you smell Korean BBQ grilling, stop by for a Bite!

ods..
03-28-2012, 07:40 PM
uh. what weekend. i want korean bbq, i'll bring party favors

poddan
03-28-2012, 10:30 PM
Damn! Never knew all this was possible with a propane camping stove (since BBQ's aren't allowed)?

Inthecolumbiagorge
03-29-2012, 07:32 AM
BBQs are allowed in car camping, propane only though, no charcoal.

Robin
03-12-2013, 02:16 PM
Bump.

I think this year, my group will be making simple tacos Thursday night.

ELIZA83TH
03-12-2013, 04:52 PM
we're gonna bring the grill & have some carne asada Thursday night with rice and beans.
also, breakfast Friday morning will be delicious - eggs, bacon, and toast.
gotta pre-fuel for the epic weekend!

carolinesgood
03-12-2013, 07:48 PM
hard boiled eggs, string cheese, ritz or graham crackers, and frozen smoothies worked pretty well for breakfast when there was no cooking allowed, but now i bring all the comforts & food - albeit frozen. i usually pack the stove but seriously leaning on a little grill for quick or hobo meals.

lt.roast.a.botch
03-12-2013, 07:56 PM
Cool thread. My group was just brainstorming food ideas. One of the lunches we are going to do bibimbap. Have the veggies and rice prepped prior and just warm the rice on pan a little and fry the egg.

omerta
03-12-2013, 08:36 PM
It's a little weird to see the word bibimbap here.
Is it a familiar term in the U.S. now?
I could have shown you guys how to make a bibimbap if I were camping. :)

Isittimeforcoachellayet??
03-13-2013, 12:47 AM
Damn, everyone has some amazing food ideas!!! I started another thread, but I think this is the place to post the idea of having the 1st Annual Potluck/Craftbeer tasting Wk2!" Anyone interested??? You can just bring pot also!!

the dirt
03-13-2013, 10:33 AM
Pro tip: If you are using dry ice to keep things frozen, keep ALL of your food in sealed bags. CO2 (dry ice is solid CO2) is fat soluble, and will get into anything with either oil or fat, making it carbonated and kind of gross.

Last year, I made a big batch of an awesome greek-style pasta salad with lots of olive oil, and I didn't have a big enough bag to put it in, so I put it in a large pot and put the cover on it. No big deal, its going to be frozen anyways, right? WRONG. When I went to go eat it, it was carbonated. Fizzy pasta salad is not exactly what you want to be eating. Just remember to put everything in sealed bags!

lt.roast.a.botch
03-13-2013, 11:02 AM
I think you meant "Non-Pro Tip" Good tip though!

SepaGroove
03-13-2013, 11:17 AM
Cool thread. My group was just brainstorming food ideas. One of the lunches we are going to do bibimbap. Have the veggies and rice prepped prior and just warm the rice on pan a little and fry the egg.

I fucking love Korean food. Bibimbaps are great...that crispy rice :thu

marcolaguna
03-13-2013, 11:24 AM
i need to camp with you

marcolaguna
03-13-2013, 11:25 AM
which weekend?!bbq for a b-b-beer, fair trade right?

Y0UNGBL00D
03-13-2013, 11:38 AM
are coal bbqs allowed? we had one at bonnarroo and i vastly preferred it to the coleman, but will be bringing a coleman this year,

Robin
03-13-2013, 11:51 AM
are coal bbqs allowed? we had one at bonnarroo and i vastly preferred it to the coleman, but will be bringing a coleman this year,

Only propane appliances are allowed.

Y0UNGBL00D
03-13-2013, 11:52 AM
yeah thats what i thought. saw a lot of grill recipes and wondered how they pulled those off. any reviews of recipes used past?

some of these have to have gone over better than others.

thinking of making a lot of premade, heat-on-site things. chili, taco fixings, etc. but some of these others look awesome.

Cactuskev
03-13-2013, 12:35 PM
This is my fourth Coachella and by now i have a pretty good idea of what works well.

I highly recommend bringing two coolers - one for food and one for beverages. In the food cooler, instead of using ice, use one or two-liter bottles of water that have been frozen. They stay cool longer and didn't get things wet - plus provides drinking water as they melt. Only open the food cooler long enough to grab the food you need for each meal, otherwise keep that thing sealed shut and in the shade and it will stay cool all festival.

Breakfasts:

Breakfast each morning in Camp Kev starts with a Coachella Cocktail! In a red solo cup, make a screwdriver as usual, leaving an inch or so of room at the top. Add Red Bull to the top. Pour in a packet of Raspberry Emergen-C, and stir with a glo-stick. Now you're ready to take on the day!

Huevos Rancheros Quesadillas - put a tortilla on a griddle, top with shredded cheddar, cooked bacon (I cook it before the fest and keep in a ziplock bag), black beans, salsa and then drizzle a beaten egg into that. Top with another tortilla and cook until crispy on both sides. Cut into wedges and serve with some fresh fruit

Potato and Sausage Burros - Dice up potatoes and onions and cook in a pan with olive oil until almost done. Add cooked sausage, salt, pepper, spices (cayenne/paprika/chili powder/onion powder/garlic powder blend) when everything looks good and brown and crispy, add a handful of shredded cheddar. When that melts, spoon into a warm flour tortilla, roll into a burro and serve with salsa.

Apple Cinnamon Walnut Pancakes - Prep your dry pancake mix ahead of time by adding some cinnamon and crushed walnuts and store in a ziplock bag (or get the bisquick that comes in a pour container) - Dice up a granny smith apple super fine and set aside. Make the batter according to the directions specific to whichever one you go with and then fold in the diced apple. Cook like a usual pancake and serve with maple syrup and butter - and some fresh fruit.

Lunch is usually on the festival grounds, but here's a couple good things to make:

Gazpacho - Tons of recipes on the web, just pick one you like and make it the night before the fest. Keep in a resealable container and chilled. Great for a mid-day refreshing break. Have some garnishes to throw in there like olives, chopped radishes, chopped carrots, etc. serve with some tortilla chips and salsa and cold beers.

Grilled Cheese with Bacon and Apple Sandwiches - Butter one side of some country white bread and drop that on a griddle, top with Cheddar or Gruyere, very thinly sliced apple, a couple slices of cooked bacon and then more cheese. Top with another slice of buttered bread and brown both sides.

Dinner

Rigatoni with Smoked Salmon, Walnuts and Gorgonzola Cream Sauce, Bread - Basic recipe is earlier in this thread - just an awesome dish!

Bruschetta - Bruschetta is great because you can make it anytime, it's good for sharing and you can make as much or little as you like pretty easily. I usually bring a couple combinations worth of ingredients and then make whatever feels right. Start with a crusty white boule and slice thickly. Very lightly grill on ungreased griddle. Immediately rub the toasts with garlic. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle some coarse sea salt.

Return to low heat grill and add any combo of tasty ingredients: Caramelized onion with shaved Parmesan, Roasted red peppers with capers and olives, Salami with mozzarella, you get the idea. You can even purchase some premade bruschetta tapenades that are really good and super easy. Heat the bruschettas until nicely warmed and serve with some red wine if you got it.

YUM! Enjoy!

ELIZA83TH
03-13-2013, 01:13 PM
This is my fourth Coachella and by now i have a pretty good idea of what works well.

I highly recommend bringing two coolers - one for food and one for beverages. In the food cooler, instead of using ice, use one or two-liter bottles of water that have been frozen. They stay cool longer and didn't get things wet - plus provides drinking water as they melt. Only open the food cooler long enough to grab the food you need for each meal, otherwise keep that thing sealed shut and in the shade and it will stay cool all festival.

Breakfasts:

Breakfast each morning in Camp Kev starts with a Coachella Cocktail! In a red solo cup, make a screwdriver as usual, leaving an inch or so of room at the top. Add Red Bull to the top. Pour in a packet of Raspberry Emergen-C, and stir with a glo-stick. Now you're ready to take on the day!

Huevos Rancheros Quesadillas - put a tortilla on a griddle, top with shredded cheddar, cooked bacon (I cook it before the fest and keep in a ziplock bag), black beans, salsa and then drizzle a beaten egg into that. Top with another tortilla and cook until crispy on both sides. Cut into wedges and serve with some fresh fruit

Potato and Sausage Burros - Dice up potatoes and onions and cook in a pan with olive oil until almost done. Add cooked sausage, salt, pepper, spices (cayenne/paprika/chili powder/onion powder/garlic powder blend) when everything looks good and brown and crispy, add a handful of shredded cheddar. When that melts, spoon into a warm flour tortilla, roll into a burro and serve with salsa.

Apple Cinnamon Walnut Pancakes - Prep your dry pancake mix ahead of time by adding some cinnamon and crushed walnuts and store in a ziplock bag (or get the bisquick that comes in a pour container) - Dice up a granny smith apple super fine and set aside. Make the batter according to the directions specific to whichever one you go with and then fold in the diced apple. Cook like a usual pancake and serve with maple syrup and butter - and some fresh fruit.

Lunch is usually on the festival grounds, but here's a couple good things to make:

Gazpacho - Tons of recipes on the web, just pick one you like and make it the night before the fest. Keep in a resealable container and chilled. Great for a mid-day refreshing break. Have some garnishes to throw in there like olives, chopped radishes, chopped carrots, etc. serve with some tortilla chips and salsa and cold beers.

Grilled Cheese with Bacon and Apple Sandwiches - Butter one side of some country white bread and drop that on a griddle, top with Cheddar or Gruyere, very thinly sliced apple, a couple slices of cooked bacon and then more cheese. Top with another slice of buttered bread and brown both sides.

Dinner

Rigatoni with Smoked Salmon, Walnuts and Gorgonzola Cream Sauce, Bread - Basic recipe is earlier in this thread - just an awesome dish!

Bruschetta - Bruschetta is great because you can make it anytime, it's good for sharing and you can make as much or little as you like pretty easily. I usually bring a couple combinations worth of ingredients and then make whatever feels right. Start with a crusty white boule and slice thickly. Very lightly grill on ungreased griddle. Immediately rub the toasts with garlic. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle some coarse sea salt.

Return to low heat grill and add any combo of tasty ingredients: Caramelized onion with shaved Parmesan, Roasted red peppers with capers and olives, Salami with mozzarella, you get the idea. You can even purchase some premade bruschetta tapenades that are really good and super easy. Heat the bruschettas until nicely warmed and serve with some red wine if you got it.

YUM! Enjoy!

Hands down: best post.
I'm drooling.

Y0UNGBL00D
03-13-2013, 01:17 PM
cactuskev is the man. i wanted to gourmet it up this year, and you've helped!

Robin
03-13-2013, 01:26 PM
Cactus: Please post your location once you set up camp. :)

This is for any group that's like my group and doesn't want to spend a lot of time cooking. Not the tastiest, but at least you have food.

Pretty much the only time my group is fully together is in the mornings, so we pretty much only cook breakfast. We get the eggs-in-a-carton to make scrambled eggs. Throw it in a tortilla with salsa, shredded cheese and hot sauce. We also get the pre-cooked bacon and sausages, so you can put that in your breakfast burrito as well. For coffee, we've been using the Starbucks Vias. Just dump it in hot water and you're all set.

The tortillas and cheese come in handy if you want a quick late night snack. You can make a cheese quesadilla and throw the salsa on top.

SepaGroove
03-13-2013, 02:20 PM
Man you guys are doing it right this year. Makes me wish I was camping.

Y0UNGBL00D
03-13-2013, 03:07 PM
compiled this thread into a coachella cookbook. sweet.

omerta
03-13-2013, 03:58 PM
http://i-cdn.apartmenttherapy.com/uimages/kitchen/2013_02_27-gimbap3.jpg

Here in Korea, Gimbap is more popular for outdoor events.

1. Spread bap (cooked rice) on gim (a seaweed sheet).
2. Put anything you want on it; cheese, vegetables, pickles, cooked meat (bulgogi if you prefer).
3. Roll it up.
4. You can either slice it into bite sizes or just hold the whole bar and eat. (It might look like you're giving a blowjob tho.)

Recipe link : http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-gimbap-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-185502

kerby14
03-13-2013, 04:06 PM
can't stress tin foil dinners enough..really..for beef, chicken, veggies, so clutch

ManImCool
03-13-2013, 04:57 PM
While this post isn't particularly creative, one thing I've done for dinners is stocked up on "skillet dinners". I like to buy these at Trader Joes (but they have them everywhere) and it's basically a frozen bag full of a dinner (most often a pasta with sauce/veggies/meat) with all the ingredients already assembled for you. All you have to do is saute it, hence skillet dinner, and it's very cheap and easy.

I'm not as ambitious as others in getting all those ingredients for, say, a Rigatoni with Smoked Salmon, Walnuts, and Gorgonzola Cream Sauce, but I can find something equally extravagant in a skillet dinner, and it's super cheap ($4-$8 usually) and very easy to make, and more importantly, much faster to make. These are the meals that I eat when only a small portion of our group has headed back to the campsite, and we just need a quick easy meal, but want something more gourmet that isn't a banana/crackers/bong hit.

Seriously. Skillet meal. Cheap and time saving, yet you still feel like you're eating fancy at the campsite.

I can't find any pictures/examples of things I've gotten from Trader Joes, but they look like these Bertolli meals I just googled online (presumably found at all major drugstores)

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.thatsfit.com/media/2009/01/bertolli-chicken-alfredo-and-fettuccine-complete-skillet-meal-for-two-walmartcom.jpg

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb219/gigi4808/Reviews/bertolli_chicken_alla_vodka1.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_JbEPwZMXkJI/S7SeqyebwOI/AAAAAAAAhyE/yJcte1H2yRw/s1600/IMG_1997.JPG

http://bringittomeusa.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/8/4/8405.jpg

If you were cooking for a large group, then making one of these meals on a mass scale might make more sense to get your own ingredients and take the time, but for my purposes (only responsible for the meals of me and my girl) these are great quick cheap dinners. No, I'm not a spokesman for Bertolli. I'm not even saying get Bertolli, those are just examples, I usually get these skillet dinners from Trader Joes, they have awesome choices and seemingly higher quality ingredients, and all that for low prices.

Completely disregard this post if you aren't bringing a camp stove.

lt.roast.a.botch
03-13-2013, 06:07 PM
Not a bad idea. I think I may pick some up for my group for some post festival grub.

ww_crimson
03-13-2013, 10:25 PM
Breakfast:
Diced potatoes with pearl onions, diced bell peppers, and seasoning. Make at home and keep in a ziplock bag. Throw it in a pan with a tiny bit of oil or water and you're good to go
Pancakes. Make the batter at home and store it in a ketchup bottle, milk carton, ziplock bag, etc. Squeeze/pour into pan.
Bagels and cream cheese

Lunch:
Canned Soup/Chili
Hot Dogs/Hot Links
Pasta Salad (make at home)
Bagel sandwiches

Dinner:
Frozen stir fry (make at home... rice/chicken/veggies)
Spaghetti (make before leaving and throw into a bag/container.. should last 2-3 days in a cooler no problem)
Tacos... all you need are tortillas and a small bag with diced tomato/onion/cilantro. You can buy a bag of seasoned meat (I like al pastor) at most any mexican market that will only need to cook for 10 minutes.
Hot Dogs/Hot Links

Snacks:
Chips, Crackers, Dip, Veggies, Hummus
Home made salsa
Pasta Salad
Mandarins (the cuties brand oranges)

Also, plan to use some dry ice in the coolers. I'll have one cooler for food, one cooler for drinks.

ww_crimson
03-13-2013, 10:33 PM
Other easy to make items :

Hard Boiled Eggs
Instant Oatmeal
Grilled Cheese
Quesadillas (lunch meat and cheese works well)
Rice with sriracha and soy sauce (you can make this at home and just heat it up)

loopy
03-31-2013, 09:55 AM
:bump Bringing a camp stove for the first time and researching, thank you for all the good ideas!

amili.oh
04-07-2013, 12:11 AM
Starting my planning for weekend 2 and came for some ideas! Can't wait to try some of these recipes!

mozzie
04-07-2013, 12:31 AM
hmmm...maybe ill bring in a sack of crawfish from tx and do a boil the first day

Y0UNGBL00D
04-07-2013, 05:23 AM
might bring a big ass tub of rice and beans. lately HEB in tx has these pintos with jalapenos in a can. ive been throwing some cooked rice and it has been amazing consistently. simple, easy, filling, tasty.

nathan1324
04-08-2013, 10:48 AM
Mozzie if you bring crawfish from the H I gots to come get me some!!!! That would be amazing

Oranix
04-08-2013, 11:01 AM
Peanut butter and Nutella sandwiches 3 days in a row!
and Chewy bars as snacks.

Justin Palodichuk
04-08-2013, 12:19 PM
I love camping and cooking outside, but not at Coachella. For me a good breakfast would be Kashi Original cereal w/some yogurt and maybe some fruit from the Farmer's Market.

Good call =)

Keep in mind we'll also have Cinnamon Rolls, Muffins and Yogurt Parfaits too for breakfast. Unfortunately our granola/trail-mix people pulled out :(

funkmastahosh
04-08-2013, 12:52 PM
Is anybody else just going to go to costco and get a bulk size box of cliff bars?

Y0UNGBL00D
04-08-2013, 02:43 PM
i like cooking even at festivals.

mozzie
04-08-2013, 06:11 PM
hmmm...maybe ill bring in a sack of crawfish from tx and do a boil the first day

so if i do bring a sack of crawfish, how good are they on the grounds about removing trash... last thing i want is a crapload of crawfish shells fermenting in the desert heat for 3 days.

corinnw
04-08-2013, 09:05 PM
If I wasnt flying in from Vancouver, thats exactly the menu I would like to do.

Dommer
04-08-2013, 09:28 PM
Cactusskev....i hope i camp next to you lol!
I will FOR SURE throw down funds on food.
Amazing food lineup...haha

moxie990
04-09-2013, 10:10 AM
My group always comes with roughly the same menu each year as almost all of the ingredients have multiple uses so it makes shopping easier and also cooking out on the fields easier. We prepare as much as possible before heading out to the festival itself. Cut, marinate and freeze all the meats, chop up some of the peppers & onions for burritos but leave some bigger for kebabs, cook all the bacon beforehand, and crack all the eggs too (pour them into gallon jugs for easy transport and handling once out there).

Breakfast Burritos each morning (eggs, bacon cooked before the fest, peppers & onion, cheese, salsa / hot sauce)
Steak / Chicken Kebabs (marinated chicken / steak, onions, peppers, skewers)
Hobo Meals (marinated chicken and/or steak, potatoes, onions, and peppers, throw in some butter, garlic salt, and pepper, then wrap in foil and throw on grill)
BBQ chicken sandwiches
Burgers / Hot dogs
Beer Brats (take normal brats, boil them in beer, sauerkraut, hot sauce and garlic salt until cooked, then top with more kraut on the bun)

We also get a ton of snacks to have throughout the day. It's not quite fine dining, but it's definitely better than rockin PB&J's all weekend!

syrrus101
04-09-2013, 10:52 AM
Every year I make my group meals for each morning/night. This year it's only 5 of us so I went a little less gourmet/volume. Here's the Menu:

Slow cooked, pork shoulder Chile verde w/ Wheat or corn tortillas

Roasted turkey or black forest ham sandwiches (Dave's 'good seed' bread/'everything' bagel thins) jalapeρo or chipotle pepper cheese w/ hummus/cucumber/avocado/Spinach

Fresh Fruit Parfaits (Pineapple/Kiwi/Grapes/strawberries/blueberries/toasted-walnuts/vanilla greek yogurt)

Coming back to camp to fresh, tasty ingredients really makes all the difference.

thizzin my brains out
04-09-2013, 11:34 AM
how u keep all the perishable stuff cold? just w/ ice & cooler? I find that leaving food in a cooler of ice can sometimes result in soggy food.

syrrus101
04-09-2013, 12:26 PM
how u keep all the perishable stuff cold? just w/ ice & cooler? I find that leaving food in a cooler of ice can sometimes result in soggy food.

I bought quality plastic containers last year, they seal tight and everything stays fresh/dry.

Designate one cooler to food only (not snacks). I make sure that I keep this cooler in my tent and only I have access to it. This reduces the number of times its opened, thus resulting in longer lasting ice. Make sure the cooler is closed tight at all times (check on it every time you come back to camp/lay down for the night.)

As long as that cooler stays closed and in the shade, you should be right as rain for the weekend.

rrrafe
04-09-2013, 02:01 PM
Premade pasta with pesto is easy and delicious at room temp.

mozzie
04-10-2013, 10:19 AM
so this is my first year actually camping at coachella, will i be able to bring in a cooking knife, or is that a no no.

loopy
03-13-2014, 10:06 PM
First time we're using a stove at camp, keep those good ideas coming!