PDA

View Full Version : What makes Coachella as a music festival,so unique to you,compared to other ones?

GBaxter
03-05-2011, 07:49 PM
Compared to other music concert festivals you've seen in North America and/or
even overseas, what makes Coachella so unique and interesting to you as a
music festival. Please no smart ass replies.

hawkingvsreeve
03-05-2011, 08:24 PM
It has a different name.

Neighborhood Creep
03-05-2011, 08:27 PM
I love the grass. Both forms

Tandemind
03-05-2011, 08:41 PM
Attendance will answer your question better than anyone here.

SDsoldier7
03-05-2011, 08:46 PM
venue.

jimmycrackcorn
03-06-2011, 06:50 AM
venue/time of year

yeahfontaine
03-06-2011, 09:02 AM
Venue, without a doubt.

Bonovan
03-06-2011, 09:51 AM
1) Venue/Artists
2) I go with my family (we either split up or hang together, depending on what artist is playing when and where)
3) The friends I have made through the event and see only once a year, at the festival

TommyboyUNM
03-06-2011, 09:51 AM
I love the grass. Both forms

I'm confused. It's my understanding that the Empire Polo Club only uses one type of grass. It might be celebration bermuda grass, but I'm not entirely sure.

Gribbz
03-06-2011, 09:54 AM
The line-up. Arguably the most diverse in the country.

Natelevmofuggaz
03-06-2011, 10:05 AM
Line-up, diversity (both in the crowd and in the music), and location. Consistently dope.

guedita
03-06-2011, 10:12 AM
The rampant stupidity of the attendees.

Lynn163
03-06-2011, 09:12 PM
1) Venue/Artists
2) I go with my family (we either split up or hang together, depending on what artist is playing when and where)
3) The friends I have made through the event and see only once a year, at the festival

This is one of 3 festivals we do a year with our kids!

Suffacated
03-11-2011, 08:43 PM
I can take a 10 minute walk and be there.

choice cat
03-11-2011, 08:45 PM
I can take a 10 minute walk and be there.

lucky!

Fourthisto
03-11-2011, 08:47 PM
The grass, the laid back attitude of 90% of the people there, the thousands of smiles from friends you've never met, the blue sky melting away into the sunset, the crazy dancing fools. Nothing but <3.

djbionik
03-11-2011, 08:59 PM
easy. it's bliss man. The sheer amount of great music. SOOO much of it, way more than any other festival. Even if it were less, like how it started, the diversity of unmistakably good music is at a gorgeous venue (for the most part clean too) with the festival goer in mind. Nice amenities, you know? I actually like how expensive it is to keep out the *ahem.. riff raff. It's for real music lovers who are there for the music, not just to get effed and trash the place. (even though last year there were lots of those.)

You can party at any festival all you want, but none is harder to get to, or more rewarding. I have perma-smile from Coachella for months after, because you leave feeling like "holy shit, I just pulled off the greatest weekend ever!" It's why I'm a lifer.
awww. I heart Coachella.

crombrenner
03-11-2011, 10:23 PM
easy. it's bliss man. The sheer amount of great music. SOOO much of it, way more than any other festival. Even if it were less, like how it started, the diversity of unmistakably good music is at a gorgeous venue (for the most part clean too) with the festival goer in mind. Nice amenities, you know? I actually like how expensive it is to keep out the *ahem.. riff raff. It's for real music lovers who are there for the music, not just to get effed and trash the place. (even though last year there were lots of those.)

You can party at any festival all you want, but none is harder to get to, or more rewarding. I have perma-smile from Coachella for months after, because you leave feeling like "holy shit, I just pulled off the greatest weekend ever!" It's why I'm a lifer.
awww. I heart Coachella.

Could not agree more with this post. You nailed it!!

JustSteve
03-11-2011, 11:11 PM
lucky!

what about the other 362 days a year, though?

fatbastard
03-11-2011, 11:16 PM
Iíll say that Coachella has successfully been able to provide an entertaining and safe show that has put California on the festival map.

In my 20 odd years of attending festivals and concerts, itís been a graveyard of 1 or 2 year events that go away for a variety of reasons.

Weíve never had a contender that even came close to the summer festival season that Europe has seemed to have mastered. You look at us today, and there are several festivals to choose from throughout the year that consists of both large scale and indie groups.

Going back to the original question, people in southern California were unappreciative of what was given to them. We maintained the reputation of being a rude audience. Back in the 60s, Miles Davis loved Europe, did the east coast and would come to Northern Cal, but limited his visits to Southern Cal, because we were known as a rude audience. Iíll just say that perhaps we were misunderstood.

Coachella was at the right place at the right time. As a music lover, I was desperate to be entertained. I couldnít even imagine that such an event could be possible in Southern Cal back then. It just so happened that the polo fields provided an environment, which took people out of their element and left them open for interpretation. The manicured grass, the shady tents, the good food, the overall cleanliness, and the positive vibe, made an environment that that allowed people to feel safe to let their guard down. You put these factors together and provide an eclectic lineup that entertains you, moves you, inspires you, and makes you think; you walk away with an experience. It just started taking a life of its own. Itís addicting. Some years you want more and canít wait. Some years you just think youíre going to go through the motions and see a few bands, only to leave in awe yet another year.

Iím proud to say that I attend this festival. I do get concerned sometimes, being how history repeats itself and all that the crowd will one day become rude. I can only say that Iíll be there and try to prevent it from happening.

The board community also reinforces my feelings about this even throughout the year.

frizzlefry
03-11-2011, 11:39 PM
Stranger offering to lend his skateboard so I can push a heavy ass cooler to my campsite. He just let me walk off with it, took me fifteen minutes to get it back to him and he just said no worries, and that was it. People like him make it a wonderful and unique experience. There's something about this festival that either attracts people like this or just changes us all, at least for a weekend. We're all dirty, tired, hungover, dehydrated, and deaf but most of us are become better and beautiful people there, if only for this weekend. It's only after this festival that bums me out, I look around my job and school and can't find somebody willing to lend a skateboard or even say no worries. Can't wait to see all of the smiling faces again!

frizzlefry
03-12-2011, 10:40 AM
I actually like how expensive it is to keep out the *ahem.. riff raff

Elitist asshole, apparently you need money to be a good person.

dekelou
03-12-2011, 11:13 AM
This is one of 3 festivals we do a year with our kids!

The exact opposite for me. It's the only festival where I don't take my family. Nice to have some alone time.

sushibandita
03-12-2011, 11:35 AM
First and foremost the positive energy. I love being greeted with "Happy Coachella" by strangers that feel all the familiar. Each day I am blessed by a random act of kindness from a stranger that I always pass on. It can be a simple as sharing set time or offering a light. It all falls in the Coachella spirit. I revisit the memories of this unique and special experience year round.

ArcadeParade
03-12-2011, 12:59 PM
location, lineup, its like family now. I fear the day there is no more coachella in my life

Stickjohn
03-12-2011, 02:59 PM
Coachella is reliable as hell. The location means great weather and the music selection speaks for itself. And they keep improving it.

weareyourfriends
03-12-2011, 03:01 PM
The grass, the laid back attitude of 90% of the people there, the thousands of smiles from friends you've never met, the blue sky melting away into the sunset, the crazy dancing fools. Nothing but <3.

Whether you're into EDM & the "rave scene" or not, Coachella really is the epitome of PLUR.

algunz
03-12-2011, 03:08 PM
It's my favorite holiday of the year.

djbionik
03-12-2011, 03:19 PM
Elitist asshole, apparently you need money to be a good person.

To be a good person? I beg to differ. But you do need money to get to Coachella. And I think it's a pretty asshole move to go to any music festival with a sole intention to get fucked up, and push people around.

I know it's an asshole thing to say.

And hey, I'm a student, poor as shit, I eat ramen like 4 times a week. But I save up for Coachella. It's my one vacation I give to myself. I don't get christmas presents, I don't get birthday gifts, I buy clothes like once a year. But it's ok, because I make this work every year. Maybe it is elitist, and I am reminded of that when snobby teens push me aside at the fest, they're lucky that someone with a lot of money got them tickets. It kills me because I save all year long.
I'm not proud of saying it, because I was a radio dj. I believe music should be shared, and enjoyed by everyone. Truth is though, for a lot of people, Coachella is expensive, but they make it a personal investment. I don't get my money back, but I meet a lot of awesome people, discover new music, and I need it!

Sensuality
03-16-2011, 10:18 PM
The best way to explain is that you have to experience Coachella to realize what makes it stand out... It's an experience like no other, and it sticks with you for months afterwards, almost like an addiction that can only be satisfied by attending the subsequent year.

frizzlefry
03-16-2011, 10:32 PM
To be a good person? I beg to differ. But you do need money to get to Coachella. And I think it's a pretty asshole move to go to any music festival with a sole intention to get fucked up, and push people around.

I know it's an asshole thing to say.

And hey, I'm a student, poor as shit, I eat ramen like 4 times a week. But I save up for Coachella. It's my one vacation I give to myself. I don't get christmas presents, I don't get birthday gifts, I buy clothes like once a year. But it's ok, because I make this work every year. Maybe it is elitist, and I am reminded of that when snobby teens push me aside at the fest, they're lucky that someone with a lot of money got them tickets. It kills me because I save all year long.
I'm not proud of saying it, because I was a radio dj. I believe music should be shared, and enjoyed by everyone. Truth is though, for a lot of people, Coachella is expensive, but they make it a personal investment. I don't get my money back, but I meet a lot of awesome people, discover new music, and I need it!

I just didn't like your original post, you made it seem that people who actually have to save to buy their ticket are the only ones who get too fucked up or just go for the party, and all of the rich people are just exempt from that group. I think it's quite the opposite, those who actually have to make an effort to go (like you and I) will appreciate it more and not just go for the big party and actually cherish the music and the amazing atmosphere. The guy who didn't blink an eye when buying his ticket will more likely be the asshole with way too many drugs that just wants to get laid in my opinion. Your second post kind of proved my point.

WhyTheLongFace
03-16-2011, 11:50 PM
According to their e-mail there will be chicken and waffles.

That's unique

electrocute
03-29-2011, 07:08 PM
I agree with what a lot of others have said in this thread. I feel like something in me changed deeply the first time I went to Coachella (2007). Like I had visited a world where magic was possible. I've gone every year since then and loved each year more. The lineup never fails to be AHHMAZING and I always discover new favorite bands every year researching the poster and getting psyched up every day, knowing it's a little bit closer!!

The venue is the most beautiful place to see music I can imagine, basically. The daytime heat also makes it a very surreal, extraordinary experience. The voyage to the desert is another part I always look forward to that makes this fest special (I'm from NorCal). (The voyage home... not as great sometimes.) I also love the fest's crazy art installations and design. Makes it extra trippy to come upon a fire-breathing dragon or a coil shooting lightning at nighttime.

I really just love the "spirit" of Coachella. I've been to a number of other festivals, but Coachella has spoiled me on expectations now in terms of attendees and their level of excitement/involvement. It's incredible and overwhelming to share the experience with so many others who are as into and excited about the music as I am. I've never been to another festival where people were so into dancing, to just about any music you can think of. I also love seeing the crazy outfits and shit people wear! It's fun to chat with strangers wherever you go. It's a very unique gathering of people who are very, very excited, having the time of their lives, and with good reason.

God I love Coachella!!!!! <3 <3 <3

kcreag
03-30-2011, 02:24 PM
Austin City Limits Festival just wasn't the same. Something about the desert, the 3-day pass requirement that weeds out fair-weather fans, and no annoying balloons/signs/screaming families makes Coachella much better.

electrocute
03-30-2011, 11:33 PM
Don't forget those goddamned chairs everywhere at ACL! Not cool!