PDA

View Full Version : Offsite Camping is now Illegal

PlayaDelWes
03-04-2011, 12:56 PM
On March 2, the Indio City Council Redevelopment Agency recommended that offsite camping during events > 10,000 will no longer be legal. I guess next step is approval by City Council?

So this is just further confirmation for all those posers claiming it's OK to camp in backyards, Walmart, empty fields, and across the street that it is not only illegal for them, but it's illegal for the person camping.

I guess since Lake Cahuilla is outside of Indio City limits it's OK?

http://www.coachella.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1721&d=1299271322

http://www.coachella.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1722&d=1299272824

Neighborhood Creep
03-04-2011, 01:03 PM
Uh-ohhhhhhhhh

Bomb shell dropped

BeaverCat
03-04-2011, 01:06 PM
http://ihasahotdog.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/funny-dog-pictures-dog-makes-scooby-doo-noise.jpg

Robin
03-04-2011, 01:07 PM
What's the likelihood of having it approved prior to the festival?

PlayaDelWes
03-04-2011, 01:10 PM
What's the likelihood of having it approved prior to the festival?
http://www.coachella.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1723&d=1299273019

captncrzy
03-04-2011, 01:31 PM
I wonder what the penalty will be for the campers...like is the fine going to be worse than buying a car camping pass from a scalper?

sk8r408
03-04-2011, 01:39 PM
Where did you find this?

Bud Luster
03-04-2011, 01:41 PM
I'm sure camping in back yards won't be a problem as long as it fenced isn't visible to those outside of the residence, but the folks that are setting up / selling camping out in the open on their private property are fucked. As are those that already purchased such camping.

citizenerased
03-04-2011, 01:44 PM
On March 2, the Indio City Council Redevelopment Agency recommended that offsite camping during events > 10,000 will no longer be legal. I guess next step is approval by City Council?

So this is just further confirmation for all those posers claiming it's OK to camp in backyards, Walmart, empty fields, and across the street that it is not only illegal for them, but it's illegal for the person camping.
People actually set up tents in the parking lot?

Stickjohn
03-04-2011, 01:46 PM
I'm trying to figure out if the Rios' "after hours" campsite is in Indio.

edit: Couldn't find an address yet but it was described being within 2 miles of the festival. uh oh this could be messy.

JustSteve
03-04-2011, 01:47 PM
no. but many(most?) walmarts across the country allow rv's to stay overnight in their lots.

JustSteve
03-04-2011, 01:49 PM

isn't lake cahuilla a legitimate camping area, though? not sure why it would affect a place like that.

M Sparks
03-04-2011, 01:53 PM
"Officer, these are all my lineal relatives"

DaftpunkisWhere
03-04-2011, 02:19 PM
Probably a ticket

but

More money for the city

NachoCat
03-04-2011, 02:20 PM
Shit meet my friend fan

koryp
03-04-2011, 02:21 PM
"Coachella Village" Off-Site Camping Next To Coachella Music Festival
February 22, 2011
We at Coachella Village would like to convey our sincerest apologies as we, for reasons beyond our control, will no longer be able to provide car/tent camping spaces.
See Car/Tent Camping Tab for details.
http://coachella.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=336&pictureid=2158
:dumbo:):dumbo So long Derelick it was great getting to know you! :dumbo:):dumbo

PlayaDelWes
03-04-2011, 02:22 PM
isn't lake cahuilla a legitimate camping area, though? not sure why it would affect a place like that.

It's a County Park, so I would assume it'd be good, BUT, the updated language of the ordinance does not distinguish established camp-grounds from public or private property.

We at Coachella Village would like to convey our sincerest apologies as we, for reasons beyond our control, will no longer be able to provide car/tent camping spaces. See Car/Tent Camping Tab for details.
lol, so what does Coachella Village provide then?

yuly333
03-04-2011, 02:29 PM
the city of Thermal is where After-hours is at....no where near Indio..its funny how every year it becomes a better campsite and every year theres a hater lol jk last year all the campers saw for them selves how secure of a site it was(is) and how no one would ever know its happenin....i guess we're lucky to be in a unincorporated city......email us for info
coachellaafterhourscampsite@yahoo.com

BeaverCat
03-04-2011, 02:29 PM
lol, so what does Coachella Village provide then?

A bazooka firing range.

Media Blitz
03-04-2011, 02:54 PM
EDIT: nevermind, didn't see "or near"

brematale111
03-04-2011, 03:12 PM
I'm trying to figure out if the Rios' "after hours" campsite is in Indio.

edit: Couldn't find an address yet but it was described being within 2 miles of the festival. uh oh this could be messy.

fuck. this is the first thing I though of.

jimmycrackcorn
03-04-2011, 03:23 PM
no. but many(most?) walmarts across the country allow rv's to stay overnight in their lots.

That + the nearest walmart is not IN indio... Its in la quinta... Then next closest would be palm desert and palm springs after that...

Bud Luster
03-04-2011, 03:29 PM
Also, sleeping in your car is not camping.

Paddy O'Furniture
03-04-2011, 03:37 PM
They can try this, but no city or township in the state of California may prevent private property owners from allowing camping on their property. This more than likely was put forth to try and prevent people from crashing anywhere they pleased throughout the weekend, i.e. parking lots, etc.

JustSteve
03-04-2011, 03:43 PM
once a homeowner starts charging people to do so the city has every right to intervene since it then becomes a business.

menikmati
03-04-2011, 04:19 PM
So as long as 9,999 or less people only showed up, you could camp anywhere...

Paddy O'Furniture
03-04-2011, 04:21 PM
once a homeowner starts charging people to do so the city has every right to intervene since it then becomes a business.

You are correct that the city may intervene but they can only require that a permit be issued and that appropriate taxes are paid. They can't tell you that you can't let people camp.

PrettyRagdoll
03-04-2011, 04:34 PM
That's bullshit. I never camp off-site but to make it illegal to do so is just insane... There are limited onsite camping spaces. Even less hotels [which will always be substantially more then camping] but it's illegal to stay anywhere else?

Don't bite the hand that feeds you, Indio

aphrael
03-04-2011, 05:14 PM

(1) Lake Cahuilla is a county park, and it's not clear that Indio can pass rules which prohibit camping in the county park; and, if they can, almost certainly the text of the statute doesn't cover that.

(2) the closest Walmart isn't actually in Indio, but rather in La Quinta, so Indio cannot pass rules governing it; it's out of their jurisdiction.

Does mean you can't camp at Ralph's, though.

aphrael
03-04-2011, 05:16 PM
They can try this, but no city or township in the state of California may prevent private property owners from allowing camping on their property. This more than likely was put forth to try and prevent people from crashing anywhere they pleased throughout the weekend, i.e. parking lots, etc.

What's your source for this claim? Zoning regulations regularly impose maximum occupancy limits. Camping per se may not violate this, but opening your property to multiple campers certainly would.

aphrael
03-04-2011, 05:20 PM
The text in the thumbnail would prohibit camping in public parks which ordinarily allow camping.

That's very odd.

The Lake Cahuilla website implies that it's in La Quinta; I can't find a map online which delineates city boundaries, so I can't tell. (This is one of my major gripes with google maps, actually).

aphrael
03-04-2011, 05:23 PM
Aha! The city's zoning map (http://www.indio.org/Modules/ShowDocument.aspx?documentid=692) makes it quite clear that Lake Cahuilla is outside the city.

In fact, pretty much anywhere south of the festival is outside the city. Important knowledge for those who were looking to camp off-site.

Stickjohn
03-04-2011, 06:13 PM
the city of Thermal is where After-hours is at....no where near Indio..its funny how every year it becomes a better campsite and every year theres a hater lol jk last year all the campers saw for them selves how secure of a site it was(is) and how no one would ever know its happenin....i guess we're lucky to be in a unincorporated city......email us for info
coachellaafterhourscampsite@yahoo.com

thanks for clearing that up!

Dustin da DnB Soulja
03-04-2011, 10:34 PM
so much for my grocery store rave for cracked out preteens =/

gonna have to find a new way to make money this year

BROKENDOLL
03-04-2011, 11:01 PM
Christ, I'm a local here, and the only reason I remain in this God-forsaken desert area is Coachella. And, it absolutely amazes me that a place that is virtually wide open desert, can't seem to figure out how to accommodate people that want to get away from it all! Seriously, there are atleast 2 open, vacant lots between our place and the fest, one being an unfinished development that sits unused and wasted space as far as I'm concerned. WTF Indio??? If this is just another way to add bank to your little pathetic city, you're gonna end up fucking yourselves in the ass!

*10 deep breaths* Okay, on another note, west of the campground field at Madison street entrance is the La Quinta/ Indio line. Not sure how far south you have to go, but I'll check.
Seriously, we live at Indian Palms and right across the street is a failed construction project that came to a halt like 3 years ago...Why the city can't utilize it for something like this and maybe charge a fee per campsite is beyond me...idiots.

thenoiboi
03-05-2011, 02:54 AM
"Officer, these are all my lineal relatives"

QFhilarity.

Cheddar's Cousin
03-05-2011, 07:13 AM
52 is the southern border.

Stickjohn
03-05-2011, 09:24 AM
I think this makes sense. Doesn't Indio promote itself as the "city of festivals?" There are legit concerns about security, sanitation, traffic, community standards/zoning, etc. This is not just about our beloved Coachella - it's about balancing festival-based tourism and needs of people who live there. It's always a balance; that's why there are zoning rules.

gaypalmsprings
03-06-2011, 06:30 AM
It's LEGAL again!

Police to city: Stop Coachella campers
Council tables request over time, research needs11:32 PM, Mar. 5, 2011 |

Written by Xochitl Peña

When the Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival rolls around next month, Indio officials hope unregulated camping grounds and private parking lots that are anticipated to pop up around the Empire Polo Club venue for a quick buck don't create additional problems for the already busy police department.

“The most pressing issue is the camping. They create whatever they want. Our concern is someone is going to get seriously injured,” said Indio police Capt. Richard Banasiak to the Indio City Council on Wednesday.

Festival camping on the polo grounds is sold out, which has prompted some local land owners to offer camping on their properties.

To ease potential public safety hazards, the Indio Police Department made a plea to city leaders to adopt stricter guidelines for private parking lots and prohibit private camping sites during such huge festivals.

The City Council, though, in a 3-2 vote tabled the police department request, citing the need for more research and not enough notice for residents before the April 15 festival.

Mayor Lupe Ramos Watson, who lives near the festival grounds and opened up a parking lot on her property last year, said she did not want to take away a resident's “constitutional right” to do business on their property.

She also voiced concern over what the hundreds of concertgoers who planned to stay at a private campground would do if that were prohibited.

“We will have people sleeping in cars, and we will have people sleeping in backyards,” she said.

Despite voting in favor of the plan to table the police request, Councilman Mike Wilson has asked that the proposed moratorium be placed on the March 16 council agenda and reconsidered.

He agrees with police that problems created from unregulated camping should be addressed.

“There is concern they will pop up around town. People have started renting these vacation and short-term rental homes and packing these homes with bodies and allowing people to camp in the backyards and the (homeowners' associations) have no process or authority to shut it down,” he said.

A moratorium on camping — aside from what is allowed as part of the festival — would allow police to shut down those unregulated sites, said Wilson.

Mayor Pro Tem Glenn Miller and Councilwoman Elaine Holmes voted “no” on tabling the proposals because both supported the police department's request and need to ensure public safety.

“The police thought they needed this. They're saying ‘we'll stop it before it becomes a problem,'” Miller said.

wstsidela
03-06-2011, 10:04 AM
Lupe needs the cash

prettydirtything
03-06-2011, 10:05 AM
Mayor Lupe Ramos Watson, who lives near the festival grounds and opened up a parking lot on her property last year, said she did not want to take away a resident's “constitutional right” to do business on their property.

hmm

Natelevmofuggaz
03-06-2011, 10:18 AM
The idea of taxed property is ridiculous enough, now they're not going let you do whatever you want on said property?? Fucking bullshit. If people want to have people stay in their backyard there should be nothing stopping them. It's "their" fucking backyard.

/end anarchist rant

guedita
03-06-2011, 10:22 AM
What a roller coaster ride.

prettydirtything
03-06-2011, 10:38 AM
The idea of taxed property is ridiculous enough, now they're not going let you do whatever you want on said property?? Fucking bullshit. If people want to have people stay in their backyard there should be nothing stopping them. It's "their" fucking backyard.

/end anarchist rant

wouldn't an anarchist be against "property" period? Also, the anarchist in me says I can camp wherever I want, even if they don't want squatters, er... campers. There are some really nice backyards about 2 miles from the site. Just walk in nonchalantly and start setting up.

On as serious note, its all cool until your event infringes on your neighbors. I can't have a bonfire in my back yard and blast music til 3am, and not too many are saying that's unreasonable.

waterproof mp3
03-06-2011, 10:48 AM
Is it possible if you can post the original source so we can read the entire document?

Natelevmofuggaz
03-06-2011, 11:35 AM
wouldn't an anarchist be against "property" period? Also, the anarchist in me says I can camp wherever I want, even if they don't want squatters, er... campers. There are some really nice backyards about 2 miles from the site. Just walk in nonchalantly and start setting up.

On as serious note, its all cool until your event infringes on your neighbors. I can't have a bonfire in my back yard and blast music til 3am, and not too many are saying that's unreasonable.

You're right, I should be less specific - the idea of property in general is ridiculous. For some reason I felt the need to be specific, maybe I was blinded by message board rage.

Anarchy doesn't imply that respect for others goes out the window with the government (although it seems that most people seem to think that is written into the core of Anarchist principals). An anarchist state could only really exist if people treated each other with the utmost dignity and respect.

BROKENDOLL
03-06-2011, 01:42 PM
Just read a local news article about Indian Wells helping the festival out by offering shuttles from the tennis gardens to the festival. The Tennis Gardens are located by Washington St, North of Hwy 111. Be great if they could utilize the grassy parking area they have for a back up campground and show Indio how stupid they're being about this making private residence camping illegal.

PlayaDelWes
03-06-2011, 01:46 PM
Is it possible if you can post the original source so we can read the entire document?

http://76.79.137.55/pub_weblink/Browse.aspx

aphrael
03-06-2011, 01:53 PM

/end anarchist rant

Anyone living in a built up urban area faces limits on what they can do on their property. Municipal codes are full of restrictions, including things like how many pets (and what kind) you can have, when you are allowed to make noise, etc.

Natelevmofuggaz
03-06-2011, 02:31 PM
Anyone living in a built up urban area faces limits on what they can do on their property. Municipal codes are full of restrictions, including things like how many pets (and what kind) you can have, when you are allowed to make noise, etc.

I am aware, this however is a bit more extreme than noise restrictions.

PlayaDelWes
03-06-2011, 02:33 PM
I get the intention. The Police didn't want to / couldn't police the offsite camping, so they wanted to nix it before hand.

BUT, this attempt was executed poorly. For starters, implementing it into law just weeks before the event is not fair for anyone involved. And from what it appears, there needs to be a 30 day notice period, which would have made it law just a few days before Coachella 2011.

Secondly, the updated verbiage did nothing to distinguish between established campgrounds and all other private and public camping.

Also, this law ends up giving a Monopoly to the event coordinator. In the case of Coachella, yes, they sold out of camping, but this would have given no chance for others to compete.

And finally, the fact that the Mayor even opened his mouth on this is a conflict of interest.

shoegazer76
03-06-2011, 02:40 PM
The homeless bums could've really make out on this deal. Free food & shelter for the weekend.

aphrael
03-06-2011, 02:43 PM
I am aware, this however is a bit more extreme than noise restrictions.

Sure. But most municipal codes prohibit you from running a retail business out of your home, and almost all municipal codes have maximum occupant-per-dwelling rules ... both of which seem very similar in nature to a rule telling you you can't allow people to camp on your property.

aphrael
03-06-2011, 02:46 PM
I get the intention. The Police didn't want to / couldn't police the offsite camping, so they wanted to nix it before hand.

BUT, this attempt was executed poorly. For starters, implementing it into law just weeks before the event is not fair for anyone involved. And from what it appears, there needs to be a 30 day notice period, which would have made it law just a few days before Coachella 2011.

Yeah. The timing was terrible: it would have established a situation where lots of people who had planned on one of these alternative venues would just be f*cked.

Secondly, the updated verbiage did nothing to distinguish between established campgrounds and all other private and public camping.

True, but it doesn't look there are established campgrounds within the city of Indio.

And finally, the fact that the Mayor even opened his mouth on this is a conflict of interest.

I think it's inappropriate for the Mayor to have voted on the issue, but speechifying is something anyone is free to do, conflict of interest or no.

Stickjohn
03-06-2011, 03:17 PM
Remember this is not about Coachella - there are numerous festivals in Indio all year long. Think about living next to Lupe if she turns her yard into a parking lot every other weekend.

aphrael
03-06-2011, 03:19 PM
Remember this is not about Coachella - there are numerous festivals in Indio all year long. Think about living next to Lupe if she turns her yard into a parking lot every other weekend.

Still seems like the right thing to do is have it take effect six months after adoption, so that people's settled plans aren't unsettled.

Stickjohn
03-06-2011, 03:43 PM
I completely agree with that.

Natelevmofuggaz
03-06-2011, 04:18 PM
Sure. But most municipal codes prohibit you from running a retail business out of your home, and almost all municipal codes have maximum occupant-per-dwelling rules ... both of which seem very similar in nature to a rule telling you you can't allow people to camp on your property.

Wasn't aware of maximum occupant per-dwelling rules - That's bullshit as well.

Natelevmofuggaz
03-06-2011, 04:18 PM

Think about living in a town that hosts festivals all year long...

Natelevmofuggaz
03-06-2011, 04:19 PM
Still seems like the right thing to do is have it take effect six months after adoption, so that people's settled plans aren't unsettled.

Yeah if they're going to do it they should try not to fuck over people who have already made plans... there has to be some decency.

PlayaDelWes
03-17-2011, 12:04 PM
Makeshift campgrounds prohibited during Coachella, Stagecoach, other large concerts (http://www.mydesert.com/article/20110317/NEWS01/103170311/Makeshift-campgrounds-prohibited-during-Coachella-Stagecoach-other-large-concerts?odyssey=tab%7Ctopnews%7Ctext%7CFrontpage)
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRQzwjWI3CZdfbkuFULOJuKfwk5PRoVw UJHLKIldiHJm__f-By393tWuyE

Coachella Bound
03-17-2011, 02:06 PM
this is gunna get ugly....

Dustin da DnB Soulja
03-17-2011, 02:10 PM
Bribe your neighbors people and stay hidden from the streets