PDA

View Full Version : who the hell are these guys?

bludevil007
03-03-2011, 12:40 PM
http://consequenceofsound.net/2011/03/tragically-hip-frontman-gord-downie-announces-u-s-tour/

DANCE MAGIC
03-03-2011, 01:09 PM
They're Canadian. That's probably why you haven't heard of them.

witham
03-03-2011, 01:14 PM
Bring on the Hip! Totally unexpectedly good at sasquatch '06. I quickly found out that Canadians love The Tragically Hip.

paceisthetrick
03-03-2011, 01:21 PM
Awesome add. They're big up here in Canada but haven't caught on south of the border for whatever reason.

bludevil007
03-03-2011, 01:41 PM
They're Canadian. That's probably why you haven't heard of them.

I'm sure they're incredibly polite.

MusicIsMyBoyfriend
03-03-2011, 01:57 PM
My nouveau-Canadian best friend has advised me to catch his set. I am still undecided.

pachucasunrise
03-03-2011, 07:35 PM
City and Colour guest spot will be cool.

Stickjohn
03-03-2011, 07:55 PM
http://www.coachella.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46046

It's not the Tragically Hip and he's not a late add.

gaypalmsprings
03-03-2011, 08:04 PM
I love me some men from Canadia.

BROKENDOLL
03-03-2011, 08:23 PM
I love me some men from Canadia.
Canadia? Is that some new STD from up North?

SPYXERO
03-29-2011, 06:37 PM
apparently the Trag (pronounced tradge) are a purely epic live band. Keep in mind I loathe the overuse of the word "epic." Also keep in mind, I have never seen them. But I have never heard a bad review of their live show from any one. Young,old, hipster, douche. They are pretty universally loved after they are seen live in Canada. Now for my point:
GORD DOWNIE'S SET IS A "SKIP!"
I saw the second half of his set at Edmonton Folk Fest (check it outhttp://www.efmf.ab.ca/ ) and it blew. I like the trag. They make solid music. At times a couple of their albums have been my favorite albums. I was within 40 feet of a Canadian rock legend and the dude just made me impatient for him to get the fuck off the stage. I don't know what it was but he was boring. His music was decent, but he had horrible stage presence. He kept throughin out existential and surreal phrases that sounded wholy insincere.

City and Colour? saw they were mentioned above as well. saw him (City and Colour=Dallas Green from alexisonfire.the singer, not he screamer main vocalist) I love some of his music and I found him a little underwhelming at Sonic Boom. I think his music lends itself more to small venues than large festivals. He was a little out of place with the lineup though (KO,Dirty Heads, Arkells, Mother Mother, Bad Religion, Weezer, Rise Against and some more I can't remember) so that did affect it. And it was rainy before him. I say if you want to check out some good Canadian folk hit The RAA (the Rural Alberta Advantage. Hopefully see them on Saturday if my ticket source delivers!) And City and Colour. If nothing else interests you, see Gord Downie.

Oh, if The Tragically Hip tour near you? Don't fucking miss it.

socalguy100
03-30-2011, 09:33 AM
I saw them play in a club in the late 80s in Houston.

There were a total of 7 people in attendance.

ThatGirl
03-30-2011, 10:39 AM
In Canada the hip will sell out 25000 seat arenas, and they opened for the Stones too. They are rock royalty here but virtually unknown in the states. City and Color are great, they are a more mellow act for sure. I will do my best to support my fellow countrymen and try to catch their sets.

TomAz
03-30-2011, 11:44 AM
I saw them play in a club in the late 80s in Houston.

There were a total of 7 people in attendance.

Fitzgeralds?

cuz I saw them there in the Heights in around 1990 or so and it was packed and they were great.

TheScenestar
03-30-2011, 01:30 PM
http://consequenceofsound.net/2011/03/tragically-hip-frontman-gord-downie-announces-u-s-tour/

Some East Coast website that's infamous around these parts for making "Coachella predictions".

socalguy100
03-30-2011, 01:35 PM
Fitzgeralds?

cuz I saw them there in the Heights in around 1990 or so and it was packed and they were great.

It was at Rockefellers. Fitzgeralds was a cool place too though.